Variety is the Splice of life

LadyC
LadyC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Variety is the Splice of life

A splice, in technical terms, is when two linear pieces of material are joined together. That's kind of the idea behind the latest take on Frankenstein, called Splice. It looked like a remake of Species at first, but that may not be accurate. It remains to be seen if the public likes it, and so far the critics do.

Article Source: Variety is the Splice of life

Herbs and splices

It isn't as if this is the first film going over genetic engineering gone awry. In Splice, directed by Vincenzo Natali, Adrien Brody and Sarah Polley are scientists experimenting with splicing DNA of different species. Hybrids exist, but only between fairly similar species. They mix numerous species' DNA with that of humans, and then things go sideways and hilarity does not ensue. Like most Hollywood movies, they use an old plot, and add special effects and see if it works better with a lot more flashing lights and a facelift.

Splice things up

The critics like it so far. In the Chicago Sun Times, Roger Ebert gave it three stars. He though the story lacked a bit, but he seemed to be pleased overall. Kurt Loder was amazed with the visual design. So far, it has a rating of about 70 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. The Splice movie reviews seem to all agree that it's worth a look. Most critics agree the film is visually entertaining, and spooky enough to be good fun.

One Splice-y meatball

This plot has been done before. Plots about nature going terribly awry when messed with goes back to the legend of Prometheus in Greek mythology, and there's Jurassic Park, Species, the Island of Dr Moreau, Frankenstein, etc. Splice seems like a good take on that.

Citations

Roger Ebert

rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100602/REVIEWS/100609991/1001

Kurt Loder

mtv.com/news/articles/1640733/20100603/story.jhtml

Rotten Tomatoes

rottentomatoes.com/m/1208173-splice/

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yah, Greg Bear also did the

Yah, Greg Bear also did the idea of experimenting on one's own DNA in his 1985 novel “Blood Music”. He even had the researcher sneaking the experiment out of the lab to prevent it from being destroyed by the owner of the facility.

The actual monster is of course different but what can one expect.

BTW: Are you here for the discussion or are you trying to stealth market us?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Are you here for the

"Are you here for the discussion or are you trying to stealth market us?"

I dunno, do you like asking people stupid questions?

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
I will tell you tommorow.

I will tell you tomorrow.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture