Irony

MichaelEdits.com
MichaelEdits.com's picture
User is offlineOffline
Irony

I spent five years teaching English to university students in China, and about one kid per semester would try to convert me to Christianity.  Um, I was the founder of the Tampa Bay Chapter of American Atheists, and unlike the Christers, I've read the Bible.  God, does he need an editor!

Here's my usual intro, by the way:

When Mamie Jo Hill was a young virgin, a doctor assured her she could never get pregnant. After seeing her firstborn son, she wished he’d been right. Little Michael was dumb as a brick, and he had a face that could sink 1000 ships, a face that could make a freight train take a dirt road. A quick peek at http://www.michaeledits.com/ will establish that, unlike a fine wine, I have not improved with age.

As I got older, I learned to compensate for my lack of ability by BSing my way through life. 1982 WHO’S WHO IN AMERICAN WRITING. Four books published in 2002, one in 2004, another in 2005. Three EPPIE finalists. Won some Reviewer’s Choice Awards at Sime~Gen. One of WRITERS DIGEST’s Top 101 Websites For Writers. And all without a lick of talent.

Now I teach English in China, where I can BS to my heart’s content.

But I’m not all bad. My cat really loves me. My wife loves me too, but she doesn’t know any better because she’s Australian.

{Update: We moved to Thailand in 2006 and I quit teaching, but I still BS to my heart’s content.}

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
HI..

keep BSing to your hearts content ri-chear.  What do you say to the christers in China?     I did hear of a baby born so ugly the Doctor slapped his mother.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
MichaelEdits.com

MichaelEdits.com wrote:
{Update: We moved to Thailand in 2006 and I quit teaching, but I still BS to my heart’s content.}

Cool! I love Thailand. Our company writes software for a certain communications company. I've been fortunate enough to make several trips to Bangkok over the last decade. Where are you located?

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

MichaelEdits.com
User is offlineOffline
Atheists in Thailand

We lived in Chiang Mai for about 3 years, then moved about 10 miles down the road to Hang Dong last year. I make the bike ride almost daily. I keep forgetting to pray for the energy, though.

http://www.michaeledits.com You can't eat grits with chopsticks

MichaelEdits.com
User is offlineOffline
Atheists in China

We had a serious language barrier, so one of the major lessons I brought away from China was simplicity in self-expression. Not a bad thing for a career author to learn.

As to what I said to my students about their attempts to Christianize me, very little, actually. I think they wear Jesus as just another Western designer label. One student brought in a Bible for his show and tell and swore all the answers were inside, but his classmates shouted him down so soundly that I just pretended they weren't speaking Chinese in the English class.  That was my sole afternoon class that semester, and I called them The Sweathogs because the smell of beer was so overpowering.  I don't know how Jesus Junior wound up in there.

http://www.michaeledits.com You can't eat grits with chopsticks