autism speech thing

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
   I was just reading

I was just reading about this when I turned on my computer-Yahoo News. My older sister  used to teach autistic kids (you got to have a lot of patience) but now she runs a group-home for the old people who can't live alone,she works for the state of New York.

Signature ? How ?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Autism requires patience,

Autism requires patience, yes. Patience in dealing with everyone else's short comings.

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
Honestly, I don't see why so

Honestly, I don't see why so many people care about this story. A person who studied 8 hours a day every day managed to become the salutatorian of his high school. Even when you have autism, it isn't surprising that 8 hours of work a day will be enough to become the salutatorian of a public school. There are plenty of non-autistic American kids who work hard to achieve their various goals, but nobody makes a bid deal about them unless they actually accomplish something noteworthy.

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
To some people, autism is

To some people, autism is equitable to Down's Syndrome.

Are Down Syndrome kids even born in the US anymore?

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:To some people,

Kapkao wrote:

To some people, autism is equitable to Down's Syndrome.

Are Down Syndrome kids even born in the US anymore?

Oh, yes.  I am acquainted with a little girl who has Down's who is in grade school.  Her parents chose not to have the test as it wouldn't make a difference in their decision to have the child.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whatthedeuce wrote:Honestly,

Whatthedeuce wrote:

Honestly, I don't see why so many people care about this story. A person who studied 8 hours a day every day managed to become the salutatorian of his high school. Even when you have autism, it isn't surprising that 8 hours of work a day will be enough to become the salutatorian of a public school. There are plenty of non-autistic American kids who work hard to achieve their various goals, but nobody makes a bid deal about them unless they actually accomplish something noteworthy.

You probably would not understand unless you had deficiencies yourself, or you new someone with deficiencies.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)