American Blacks and Blacks in general ?

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Blacks and Blacks in general ?

Why are they so stupid ? i know im just generalizing and that their are the exception but geez

everytime i hear something about them its bad

Its like they consider them selfs a different type of people to the others or something

Another thing i realize is that they seem not to want to follow the "whites and other Caucasians" when it comes to family,education and general style of living .

its like this i admire the Caucasians ( indians,whites and Chinese ) for the family structure that they have and try to make my life as close to it as possible 

but for blacks thats to hard.  why? 

Also its like most of them dont want to be functioning part of society at all. 

Even in my country most africans are uneducated compared to the indians and whites. And the funny thing is its free to get a degree in my country yes free 

Now of course im doing a degree but mostly the indians are and the africans just sit whole day ( mind you in most areas and not all africans ) smoking weed and committing crime.

Why in this age most blacks choose to be like this with all the information literally floating in the air ? i dont know. 

In the end slavery has mostly gone and i have never been enslaved by any "white man" , so why do alot of blacks hold slavery agianst every white person. ?

Now racism is not a problem in my country tho. Thank god  but why dont blacks want to move forward, i really dont know.

it makes me feel disgusted when i see black people on the whole, sometimes i even say i wish i could live in a all white country just because how stupid most blacks are but that wont solve the problem 

So to end my rant why do you think blacks dont want anything better for themselfs and try to be more family orientated, their is so much blacks can learn from "whites" when it comes to living a fruitful life.

Do you think slavery made blacks this way ?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
What an odd question.   For

What an odd question.

For the record, I don't think that there can be a simple answer.

Slavery has been over for a very long time. There are neither living slaves nor even the grand children of slaves. In the intervening years, the US went through the era known as separate but equal, during which time, the separate communities often did develop economically to a fairly respectable level. The culture was strong and if a young black girl became pregnant out of wedlock, there was a large social stigma that followed.

Today, the opposite is all too common. Adding to that, there is a phenomenon of “black flight” where those people who do work hard will leave the ghetto communities. Some people in the civil rights movement decry the idea because they feel that those who remain stand deprived of positive role models.

So, for the US at least, if there is an answer, it may connect to some degree to slavery but to a much larger degree, it must connect to other social changes that happened decades later.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

What an odd question.

For the record, I don't think that there can be a simple answer.

Slavery has been over for a very long time. There are neither living slaves nor even the grand children of slaves. In the intervening years, the US went through the era known as separate but equal, during which time, the separate communities often did develop economically to a fairly respectable level. The culture was strong and if a young black girl became pregnant out of wedlock, there was a large social stigma that followed.

Today, the opposite is all too common. Adding to that, there is a phenomenon of “black flight” where those people who do work hard will leave the ghetto communities. Some people in the civil rights movement decry the idea because they feel that those who remain stand deprived of positive role models.

So, for the US at least, if there is an answer, it may connect to some degree to slavery but to a much larger degree, it must connect to other social changes that happened decades later.

Thanks for the reply and yes i know there is a simple ans thats why i posted Smiling 

i wanna know what you rationals think 

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the reason is mainly

I think the reason is mainly influenced by economic factors. Most blacks are poorer than most people of other ethnicities. The actions you described are the result of being poor.(edit: I don't mean that all poor people necessarily commit the actions to described, I meant that being poor makes a person much more likely to have those behaviors.) Even some blacks who do live reasonably well are more likely to adopt the behaviors you described because it is ingrained in the culture they identify with.

So, if you agree with my idea about the difference having a mainly economic cause, the question becomes what caused the economic disparity between blacks and other ethnicities?

I think that this may be partially because of slavery. However, as has already been previously stated, slavery was abolished a long time ago, so any of its lingering effects are likely to be too small to explain a phenomenon as large as you have described. It is probably much more strongly caused by the events that happened in the century after slavery.

edit: though, it could be argued that many of the events which happened after slavery are the effects of slavery, hence everything dates back to slavery. However, I think it would be an incorrect assumption to think that slavery was the single direct cause of all legal, cultural and economic differences between the ethnicities.

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
i agreei think its the

i agree

i think its the mentality that blacks have that they would never  be anything in this life that keeps them back ?

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adventfred wrote:i agreei

Adventfred wrote:

i agree

i think its the mentality that blacks have that they would never  be anything in this life that keeps them back ?

I don't think it is the idea that they would never be anything that keeps them back. Or at least, I don't think that idea is any stronger in blacks than it is in any other ethnicity. I think what it is is the idea that they define being "anything" differently than you or I would. They don't think it is something that could never happen, they desire other things.

I realize that this could, however, be an inaccurate point of view. This is because the city I come from was very unique during the civil rights movement in America, thus shaping my view and the people around me much differently than in other places. While segregation was in place, my city had developed a very small group of black "elites" that did not really exist anywhere else. These were very rich black businessmen who's business models depended on selling poor and inferior products and services to the rest of the black community. The blacks in my city had to buy them because segregation prevented blacks from buying from the white businesses. However, the wealth of the black "elites" gave them other options of buying higher quality products and doing things such as pay to send their children to high quality private schools. Since these black "elites" had a financial interest in maintaining and extending the racial separation, but did not experience many negative effects of segregation, they frequently worked with the racist white officials in preventing the black community from achieving equality. Often times, they did this in very direct ways. This has caused a different kind of tension in my city than exists elsewhere. Many of the blacks here express disdain for blacks who work to achieve success by acquiring an education and working hard to get well-paying legitimate jobs.

I realize, however, that it may have given me a distorted view on some racial issues.

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adventfred wrote:i agreei

Adventfred wrote:

i agree

I think you are right.  Some people believe when they are told "you will never get anywhere because you are < black, migrant worker child, fat, ugly, stupid >."  If some people are told that often enough, they may come to believe it and just give up.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my opinion...the answer

In my opinion...the answer to your question can be summed up by two words ...

"Political Correctness"

There are people who make very lucrative livings in the racism business, and whose incomes are dependant on racial conflict...so even when there is none, they will manufacture it...

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I doubt the answer is an

I doubt the answer is an easy answer or that we truly understand the reasoning behind it. I will say that the black friends that I do have, act more white than black, in the sense that they are family men, work hard, talk without any fake accents or using slangs, and generally dress like regular folks not like some wanna be gangster with oversize clothes. The mentality of the blacks that I have seen, dealt with in the US however tends to be more of blame whitey and never take responsibility for their actions and consequences of their actions. If they don't get an education, it's white America fault, if they can't get a good job, it's white America fault, it's never their problem. In many ways I agree with Bill Crosby that black America has to stop listening to their damn so called civil rights leaders, Jessie Jackson and Al sharpton and rest of them that love to blame everyone else, and actually start looking at thereselves, their community and to move on from the blame game to getting power in America, proving their conditions, their position in life and to get a proper voice. Latin Americans have in a shorter time period gotten more political power than African Americans in the same amount of time.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
There comes a time when

There comes a time when blaming the past (no matter how much the past is to blame) makes the situation worse, One just has to realise that no one is going to help them have a better life. Slavery ended a long time ago. At some point you need to take responsiblity for your own position. At least in politics I believe this is the problem, its always blaming others and not enough trying to fix the situation. An in general I find in south africa there is more blaming the whites than trying to fix it. Understandable after only 20 years although the sooner it ends the better it will be for everyone, but slavery god that ended to long ago to be any source of blame.

Personally I feel no pity for people who are poor and haven't made the effort to be sucsessful, I work dam hard at university, ijust got my results back for this semester and I came top in my class for 2 subjects and top 5 for the rest. Im not the brightest guy around I just put in a little effort.

Why are they that way..... its in the culture, duno maybe there parents don't push them to succeed? I know if i don't do well at university im not going to get the kind of job i want so I work my only answer for you is apathy, apathy in the culture doesn't push for people to succeed. I highly doubt that comes from slavery.

South Korea Is a brilliant example.... they used to be dirt poor and now they have a strong economy because of the culture, they spend a lot of money on education and the kids are under a lot of pressure to do well with it. A friend of mine who is teaching there told me that at the school, some students are there until 11 at night studying on occasion, make a culture of always working harder and this will go away. This is the only way to improve where people are, black people need higher expectation put on them.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:South Korea Is a

Tapey wrote:

South Korea Is a brilliant example.... they used to be dirt poor and now they have a strong economy because of the culture, they spend a lot of money on education and the kids are under a lot of pressure to do well with it. A friend of mine who is teaching there told me that at the school, some students are there until 11 at night studying on occasion, make a culture of always working harder and this will go away. This is the only way to improve where people are, black people need higher expectation put on them.

Is that a college? If so, that seems pathetically easy. At my university (Duke), I have on several occasions spent periods of time greater than 24 hours devoted only to working, eating and using the bathroom. I am not the only one. It doesn't matter if it is 11p.m. 9 a.m. 3a.m. 12 p.m. there are always students working. This isn't really related to the OP though because there are plenty of black students who work just as hard as everyone else and I'm sure they are not the ones he is talking about.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:There comes a

Apologies for thread diversion.  Tapey what is your current signature from ?  Is it original ?  Just curious.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Adventfred wrote:i

cj wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

i agree

I think you are right.  Some people believe when they are told "you will never get anywhere because you are < black, migrant worker child, fat, ugly, stupid >."  If some people are told that often enough, they may come to believe it and just give up.

Who tells them this stuff ?

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Fred

I'm not sure this stuff applies just to Africans. I think most cultures that have been vacuumed out tend to show similar traits - breakdown of the family being central. In Oz the aboriginal people have never really gotten over the destruction of much of their culture, which in the case of many indigenous people around the world is based on places and stories that are handed down by word of mouth. A break in this continuity of just a generation leads to a general incoherence of identity. It's not like there are vast libraries where such cultures can be researched and regained. Once key people are lost, the cultures are lost altogether and the only thing left is the still negative remnants of an oppressive society and the undermined self belief of elders. In Oz there were some thousands of distinct Aboriginal languages up until 200 or so years ago. Most those languages and their stories have now vanished. 

I don't know if this applies to north or west Africans but Aborigines in Oz have a culture much closer to Kalahari Bushmen than to European or Asian cultures. In both cases this relates to the need to move across pretty barren country and subsist. Whether this necessity leads to the selection of general character traits that are suited for a roaming lifestyle is arguable but possible. Consider than most young people everywhere have a crazy travel itch that eases as they get older - I did about 4 laps of Oz on a motorbike in the 80s just for the sake of it. There's a sort of migration mechanism perhaps, and some people are less comfortable being stuck in one place. The story of the 'modernisation' of the Kalahari bushmen over the past 20 years or so is heartbreaking stuff. Almost all their social problems stem from not doing what their ancient culture guided them to do - move through their country in family groups.  

Another issue is that there is cultural inertia at a family level and a school level. If your parents didn't go to uni, the chances are higher that you won't. This stuff runs through populations. It's a tough question. If you think that folks from the carib are from many parts of Africa - just being dragged there piecemeal and separated would have meant whatever remnants of culture, as well as tribal and family history would have been lost, setting in motion a negative spiral. In any case, as other have said and as you suggested, you just have to put your head down and slug it out. Some one said to me once "no one will do it for you". It's a lame bit of advice but I remembered it. You make your own way. Personally, I think that sort of mindset is the product of competitive urbanisation - it has nothing whatever to do with intrinsic capabilities. You live in a town, you compete a bit. You live in a city and everything ratchets up, from finding a car space or a seat in a cafe, to buying a house. That aggression takes hold of you. A city is an ecosystem, and you have to survive in it.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:   

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Apologies for thread diversion.  Tapey what is your current signature from ?  Is it original ?  Just curious.

Animal Farm by George Orwell.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:cj

robj101 wrote:

cj wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

i agree

Teachers.  Social workers.  Policemen.  The white guy at the corner store or whatever.  The expectation of failure can be very strong. 

There was a study in the early 90s I saw in the newspaper.  Why do girls do so bad in math and science?  The answer was the teachers' expectations.  A boy would ask a question and get a detailed answer.  A girl would get the brush off.  This was true for all teachers, even those that self-identified as feminist (both men and women).  I saw it in college.  With one physics professor, I would ask other students - men - to ask questions for me.  If I asked, I was told it was "intuitively obvious".  If a guy asked the exact same question, he got a great explanation.  When I confronted the professor, he was really upset and denied that he never answered my questions.  I was the bad student for not paying attention - or not staying at home and raising my children in poverty.  I gave up and asked the guys to ask for me.  You do what works.

I can't speak for all black people, but I wouldn't be surprised that many teachers - black, white, or purple with green polka-dots - give black students less complete answers.  And some add in a little contempt or fear with their answer.  A primary school child does not know they are being given bad answers.  They only know that they are not doing as well as the other kids.  And so you set up expectations - "I am a <stupid, lazy> person because I can never get the answers right."  And this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:robj101 wrote:cj

cj wrote:

robj101 wrote:

cj wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

i agree

Teachers.  Social workers.  Policemen.  The white guy at the corner store or whatever.  The expectation of failure can be very strong. 

There was a study in the early 90s I saw in the newspaper.  Why do girls do so bad in math and science?  The answer was the teachers' expectations.  A boy would ask a question and get a detailed answer.  A girl would get the brush off.  This was true for all teachers, even those that self-identified as feminist (both men and women).  I saw it in college.  With one physics professor, I would ask other students - men - to ask questions for me.  If I asked, I was told it was "intuitively obvious".  If a guy asked the exact same question, he got a great explanation.  When I confronted the professor, he was really upset and denied that he never answered my questions.  I was the bad student for not paying attention - or not staying at home and raising my children in poverty.  I gave up and asked the guys to ask for me.  You do what works.

I can't speak for all black people, but I wouldn't be surprised that many teachers - black, white, or purple with green polka-dots - give black students less complete answers.  And some add in a little contempt or fear with their answer.  A primary school child does not know they are being given bad answers.  They only know that they are not doing as well as the other kids.  And so you set up expectations - "I am a <stupid, lazy> person because I can never get the answers right."  And this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I don't want to come straight out in denial, but I have never seen a teacher, policeman or anyone tell a kid they are just going to be worthless. If I had witnessed such an event a stink would have been made. This would be a huge social fo paux beyond anything tolerable to anyone with any sense. I would go so far as to say I would punch someone in the mouth for telling a kid they were going to grow up to be worthless.

No I don't think that is really a norm, it may happen but to say every black kid has been told they will always be worthless trash is not realistic, imo. Most people I know, even the worst would not do such a thing and would be more prone to encouraging a kid, or adult for that matter.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: I'm

Atheistextremist wrote:

I'm not sure this stuff applies just to Africans. I think most cultures that have been vacuumed out tend to show similar traits - breakdown of the family being central. In Oz the aboriginal people have never really gotten over the destruction of much of their culture, which in the case of many indigenous people around the world is based on places and stories that are handed down by word of mouth. A break in this continuity of just a generation leads to a general incoherence of identity. It's not like there are vast libraries where such cultures can be researched and regained. Once key people are lost, the cultures are lost altogether and the only thing left is the still negative remnants of an oppressive society and the undermined self belief of elders. In Oz there were some thousands of distinct Aboriginal languages up until 200 or so years ago. Most those languages and their stories have now vanished. 

"Rabbit Proof Fence" - a great movie.  Something similar happened in the US.  American Indian children were forcibly removed from their homes and placed in boarding schools.  The idea was to "civilize" them.  They were punished for speaking their own language or singing or dancing.  I think this had a strong influence on many tribal troubles years after the "rez" were set up.  The difference from African or OZ Aboriginals being - perhaps - that some American Indians were able to live as whites - and assimilated so completely their descendants don't realize they have AI ancestors.

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:There was a study

cj wrote:
There was a study in the early 90s I saw in the newspaper.  Why do girls do so bad in math and science?  The answer was the teachers' expectations.

Just a heads up, when someone refers to some study s/he read about in the newspaper over 15 years ago, I take it as a cue to ignore whatever s/he says afterwords. There are so many ways the information would likely get misconstrued. Your memory of something you read so long ago is likely flawed, newspaper reporters are notoriously bad at interpreting the implications of scientific studies, people often misunderstand what newspaper articles say. 

I find it incredibly unlikely that the answer to this question is as simple as you say, and a collective lack of focus teachers give to questions from females bears all the responsibility for the gender gap in performances in quantitative subjects.

cj wrote:
If I asked, I was told it was "intuitively obvious".

Wow, ignore gender expectations for a moment, your teacher was just an asshole. I have never heard a professor give that response to anyone under any circumstances.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:cj

robj101 wrote:

cj wrote:

robj101 wrote:

cj wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

i agree

I don't want to come straight out in denial, but I have never seen a teacher, policeman or anyone tell a kid they are just going to be worthless. If I had witnessed such an event a stink would have been made. This would be a huge social fo paux beyond anything tolerable to anyone with any sense. I would go so far as to say I would punch someone in the mouth for telling a kid they were going to grow up to be worthless.

No I don't think that is really a norm, it may happen but to say every black kid has been told they will always be worthless trash is not realistic, imo. Most people I know, even the worst would not do such a thing and would be more prone to encouraging a kid, or adult for that matter.

No where did I say - "every" or "all".

I won't argue over this one.  I am not black and do not have that experience.  But I have had the experience of subtle discrimination based solely on my gender.  And it can be very subtle.  There were times I didn't realize my questions had been minimized by someone until days later when I finally figured out why I was feeling so down and stupid.  And I never figured it out when I was a child.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whatthedeuce wrote:cj

Whatthedeuce wrote:

cj wrote:
There was a study in the early 90s I saw in the newspaper.  Why do girls do so bad in math and science?  The answer was the teachers' expectations.

Just a heads up, when someone refers to some study s/he read about in the newspaper over 15 years ago, I take it as a cue to ignore whatever s/he says afterwords. There are so many ways the information would likely get misconstrued. Your memory of something you read so long ago is likely flawed, newspaper reporters are notoriously bad at interpreting the implications of scientific studies, people often misunderstand what newspaper articles say. 

I find it incredibly unlikely that the answer to this question is as simple as you say, and a collective lack of focus teachers' give to questions from females bears all the responsibility for the gender gap in performances in quantitative subjects.

Your choice.

Whatthedeuce wrote:

cj wrote:
If I asked, I was told it was "intuitively obvious".

Wow, ignore gender expectations for a moment, your teacher was just an asshole. I have never heard a professor give that response to anyone under any circumstances.

He was an asshole.  I wasn't the only one who thought so.  You have been very fortunate in your professors.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'm thinking possibly

I'm thinking possibly genetics, and overall social development could be playing a small hand in the larger picture. I don't mean social development at home now, I mean in the past. Blacks were thrust into a new completely different society in the last few hundred years. Haiti is a good example. We go in start building schools and put in a government and just expect these people to handle it. Study up on Haiti and find out how well they have "handled" it,. Maybe they just need more time to catch up, but I'm just a high school grad so what do I know.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:robj101 wrote:cj

cj wrote:

robj101 wrote:

cj wrote:

robj101 wrote:

cj wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

i agree

No where did I say - "every" or "all".

I won't argue over this one.  I am not black and do not have that experience.  But I have had the experience of subtle discrimination based solely on my gender.  And it can be very subtle.  There were times I didn't realize my questions had been minimized by someone until days later when I finally figured out why I was feeling so down and stupid.  And I never figured it out when I was a child.

Yea I give the odds that some may have gone through something like that but I just don't think that explains it on a greater scale.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
In response to the

In response to the math/science thing, I excelled in reading and english. I did poorly in math and mediocre in science, coincidentally my little sister is doing poorly in reading and making a's in math, go figure.

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:I doubt

latincanuck wrote:

I doubt the answer is an easy answer or that we truly understand the reasoning behind it. I will say that the black friends that I do have, act more white than black, in the sense that they are family men, work hard, talk without any fake accents or using slangs, and generally dress like regular folks not like some wanna be gangster with oversize clothes. The mentality of the blacks that I have seen, dealt with in the US however tends to be more of blame whitey and never take responsibility for their actions and consequences of their actions. If they don't get an education, it's white America fault, if they can't get a good job, it's white America fault, it's never their problem. In many ways I agree with Bill Crosby that black America has to stop listening to their damn so called civil rights leaders, Jessie Jackson and Al sharpton and rest of them that love to blame everyone else, and actually start looking at thereselves, their community and to move on from the blame game to getting power in America, proving their conditions, their position in life and to get a proper voice. Latin Americans have in a shorter time period gotten more political power than African Americans in the same amount of time.

exactly a little example although my mom is not racist or anyone in my family, my mom sometimes say im a white person or black on the outside white on the inside you know an Oreo and she says this because i dont talk like the typicals, dress like them or even listen to the same music. i listen to only trance music like from armin van buuren. i act white in the sense im family orientated, very intelligent, work hard and try to me very rational although the latter is true for all races 

you hit the point with the responsibility, thats what they dont do, they just blame every fucking body else besides them, i know this because i have a so called friend who gets on like that all the time so i agree with you 

robj101 wrote:

In response to the math/science thing, I excelled in reading and english. I did poorly in math and mediocre in science, coincidentally my little sister is doing poorly in reading and making a's in math, go figure.

im also good at reading ad english and poor at math but im good with the sciences lol

cj wrote:

robj101 wrote:

cj wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

i agree

You're right but in my country its the opposite girls are pushed and boys are not 

both parties are to blame but blacks have to take responsibility for their actions 

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adventfred wrote:both

Adventfred wrote:

both parties are to blame but blacks have to take responsibility for their actions 

This is the truth. 

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Posters on this website

Posters on this website might not believe in gods but they seem to believe in almost every stupid stereotype that exists. People (including blacks) need social justice if they are to improve their lot, not trite, foolish platitudes about personal responsibility. Good behavior has absolutely no effect on the social factors that reinforce poverty, it can't change downsizing and outsourcing, low wages, job and capital flight and chronic underemployment. So I think if anyone is lazy, you people are intellectually lazy for not analyzing or considering the conditions that others live under and are effected by.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:Posters on this

Gauche wrote:

Posters on this website might not believe in gods but they seem to believe in almost every stupid stereotype that exists. People (including blacks) need social justice if they are to improve their lot, not trite, foolish platitudes about personal responsibility. Good behavior has absolutely no effect on the social factors that reinforce poverty, it can't change downsizing and outsourcing, low wages, job and capital flight and chronic underemployment. So I think if anyone is lazy, you people are intellectually lazy for not analyzing or considering the conditions that others live under and are effected by.

No one has claimed that blacks are inherently different from other ethnicities in any way. What we have been doing is trying to explain the differences between the general black population and populations of other ethnicity which were observed by Adventfred in his OP. If you think that none of the influences the culture of the black population has on the attitudes and actions of its members plays any part whatsoever in explaining his observations, there are less confrontational ways of saying so.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whatthedeuce wrote:Tapey

Whatthedeuce wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Is that a college? If so, that seems pathetically easy. At my university (Duke), I have on several occasions spent periods of time greater than 24 hours devoted only to working, eating and using the bathroom. I am not the only one. It doesn't matter if it is 11p.m. 9 a.m. 3a.m. 12 p.m. there are always students working. This isn't really related to the OP though because there are plenty of black students who work just as hard as everyone else and I'm sure they are not the ones he is talking about.

nope high school. same thing at my university although iv never been there later than 4 in the afternoon.

All animals are equal.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Animal Farm by George Orwell.

correct, very famous. If you haven't read it i suggest you do... very good book and its not that long, shouldn't take long.

All animals are equal.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

double post

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:Posters on this

Gauche wrote:

Gauche, all of those factors do have role in poverty.  But we are talking about why Adventfred's mother says he is "white inside" because he is going to school and working to improve himself.  It is obviously something more than economic factors.  What is the source of this prejudice in the black community?  Do whites reinforce it?  It seems some blacks reinforce it (see Adventfred's comment about his mother again).  Why is that?  It is hard enough to rise out of poverty because of the external conditions you mention.  Why put a internal cultural stigma on it as well?  I don't think these people are lazy, I think they have incredible uphill battles to fight. 

BTW, my hat is off to you, Adventfred, for going against the flow in more ways than one.

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whatthedeuce wrote:Gauche

Whatthedeuce wrote:

Gauche wrote:

No one has claimed that blacks are inherently different from other ethnicities in any way. What we have been doing is trying to explain the differences between the general black population and populations of other ethnicity which were observed by Adventfred in his OP. If you think that none of the influences the culture of the black population has on the attitudes and actions of its members plays any part whatsoever in explaining his observations, there are less confrontational ways of saying so.

agreed its just an observation 

cj wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Gauche, all of those factors do have role in poverty.  But we are talking about why Adventfred's mother says he is "white inside" because he is going to school and working to improve himself.  It is obviously something more than economic factors.  What is the source of this prejudice in the black community?  Do whites reinforce it?  It seems some blacks reinforce it (see Adventfred's comment about his mother again).  Why is that?  It is hard enough to rise out of poverty because of the external conditions you mention.  Why put a internal cultural stigma on it as well?  I don't think these people are lazy, I think they have incredible uphill battles to fight. 

BTW, my hat is off to you, Adventfred, for going against the flow in more ways than one.

thanks cj but its not really that fact that im going to college and what not , its the music i listen, the type of women i like and my general interest in alot of science.

But probably the bigest is because how i speak the truth about black people and not blame the "white man" but blame us as a people.

i speak out about all the shit we do and many dont like it, i dont follow the stereotype and i always most of the times "side" with the "whites" 

for reasons given by the dude with the shades in this thread

Trivia : can you spot him Smiling

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
The OP said he doesn't live

The OP said he doesn't live in the US or know any of the people he's talking about, so he didn't make an observation, because he didn't observe anything. He made a generalization, and a rather broad one I think, and clearly equates blackness with "badness" or some sort of criminality though he is apparently himself a black person.

I am making an observation though. People on this website seem to be very credulous in some respects particularly when it comes to negative stereotypes.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Adventfred wrote:just because how stupid blacks are !

OK,I understand that you had to rant about this subject,but how well do you know the real history of the Black race. I'm no scholar about this subject my self, Of course this has a lot to do about slavery,the bottom line was don't trust Whitey.Even though slavery was ended in 1865,they still did not truly receive freedoms the way most people have.Even today a black man that carries out a crime the same crime that a white man does,will face up to a tripled length of time in prison,and a black man convicted of a murder charge is 4-5 times likely to face a death sentence as a white person.Why? Cause this is Apartheid - American Style.Read Angelo Davis book - "If they come in the morning",Voices of resistance"or her book"The Prison Industrial Complex"and of course you have "Frederick Douglas book "Narrative of a American Slave" and Malcolm X with his work about "The End Of the White World supremacy"they were 4 speeches.And His ground breaking book"By Any Means Necessary"You sound like you support Charles Murray theory on Intelligence with his book "The Bell Curve"but if you read Jarred Diamonds book "Guns,Germs and Steel :the fate of Human societies,you'll come to the same conclusion that he did-The Bell Curve Theory is a bunch of crap.Oh Yeah, you also have environmental racism.Like I said slavery was ended in 1865,but they didn't get civil rights till 1964,after being beaten down,they still marched.You also had the sundown laws in America-meaning that if you are black,if your still in the white neighborhood you might wind up lynched or arrested for being black.Read Howard Zinn's book "The People's History of the UnitedStates."Black men are more likely to die in war,than any other race.I remember that in Jared Diamonds book the President of New Guinea(a black man) asked him why is it that Europeans(whites) went around the world, destroying other cultures,taking the land away from the indigenous inhabitants.American Indians had no such desire to do that,or China etc...what is it about the White race that they feel superior like a parent tell other people how to they should live their life.Take this land for instance(New Guinea) we were told by scientist that we have been here for over 30,000 years and we haven't destroyed the environment,but then came the white people with their waste,they have polluted waterways,land,and the air,and they have only been here for some 200 hundred plus years.Why are they like that ? then you have the whole religious thing.and that's just a quick look at the problem,You had the Co-Intel programs(FBI) that killed or jailed many black leaders.read about Fred Hampton and how he was murdered by the FBI and the Cops.or take the Bush men in South Africa,their whole way of life has been destroyed,do to white people.I could go on but ,I got things to do. 

Signature ? How ?

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:The OP said he

Gauche wrote:

The OP said he doesn't live in the US or know any of the people he's talking about, so he didn't make an observation, because he didn't observe anything. He made a generalization, and a rather broad one I think, and clearly equates blackness with "badness" or some sort of criminality though he is apparently himself a black person.

I am making an observation though. People on this website seem to be very credulous in some respects particularly when it comes to negative stereotypes.

Define stereotype.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adventfred wrote:  thanks

Adventfred wrote:

thanks cj but its not really that fact that im going to college and what not , its the music i listen, the type of women i like and my general interest in alot of science.

But probably the bigest is because how i speak the truth about black people and not blame the "white man" but blame us as a people.

i speak out about all the shit we do and many dont like it, i dont follow the stereotype and i always most of the times "side" with the "whites" 

for reasons given by the dude with the shades in this thread

Trivia : can you spot him Smiling

There are plenty of white folks who are bad and education is no calling card for good people.

Here is a realistic example of stereotyping btw.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/148098/what-would-you-do-would-you-stop-a-bike-thief

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:The OP said he

Gauche wrote:

i made a generalization based on observation duh ! oh and i have family members abroad who were born their

What are talkin about 

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adventfred wrote:Gauche

Adventfred wrote:

Gauche wrote:

i made a generalization based on observation duh ! oh and i have family members abroad who were born their

What are talkin about 

You heard something, accepted it uncritically , adopted a position of illusory superiority based on it and spouted your sweeping indictments about people you clearly know little or nothing about to others who might be sympathetic because they share your penchant for taking shortcuts in reasoning. Don't pat yourself on the back too hard you might hurt your arm. 

H.P. Lovecraft

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
THere is the

THere is the belief/stereotype that "Blacks are criminals" in... developed world politics. (Russia doesn't like Blacks either)

It's complete bullshit (possibly because cannibis is outlawed...) but the "exaggeration" lingers.

And then there's Isaac Hayes. He basically commited "self slowicide" because his employers (Matt Stone and Trey Parker) made fun of Scientology.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fred, what about Reginald Finley or Neil deGrasse Tyson?

The way I see it, the most significant problem is religion. The vast majority of blacks worldwide are religious (either Christian or Muslim). The few who break free and develop a passion for science and reason are unfortunately drowned out. At my workplace the healthcare workers (physicians, nurses, etc..) who are African American share this passion for science despite the fact that they are theist. If they became the community leaders instead of bible thumping priests, your thread would become irrelevant. I think Barack Obama represnts a significant cultural shifts among blacks given his sympathies towards religious diversity including non-believers. There will be more individuals like Tyson and Finley in time.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
As someone mentioned before,

As someone mentioned before, there is no single qualifier here… I, for one, would like to live in a country where we notice each other’s skin color the same way we notice what color shirt we are wearing…

But another part of the problem is the premise from which we all operate… In people’s admirable desire to be part of an equitable society, and in recognition of how awful racism is…many have come to react to politically correct conditioning, and in doing so, have actually created a larger divide between these segments of society… We have become like lemmings who will socially lynch anyone who has had the accusing finger of racism pointed at them… we call for firings, and career endings because of utterances, and quotes that don’t meet the astigmatic presumptions of those who make their livings in the racism business…

In trying to censor words, and in giving those words power, We believe that we can be mind readers, and determine how people truly feel…and in the meantime, the Al Sharpton’s of the world live in 25 million$ homes, and have no legitimate income on the books…

When people are told to ignore the acumen of their life’s experience, in favor of an ideological redistribution of equity of power, and how the PC literati would have us exist…the truth suffers, and without it, the goal we (working people) are trying to reach will never be accomplished…

Political correctness has caused people to regurgitate warmed over social platitudes…and downright, perfidious banalities…

I operate from this premise… I don’t believe for one moment that there is any genetic predisposition or any disparity of intellect that causes black people to have arrived at their present socio economic status… Nor do I believe that there is the institutionalized racism inherent in white people…

However I do require that people I interact with act with a level of civility… The African American culture, unfortunately does not often accord a reasonable standard… I ride the NYC subways every day… I see social disturbances often… Am I to ignore that there is a disproportionate amount of “trouble” cause by black people?… do I have to chalk it up to coincidence, even after 25 years? My experiences are that white people tend to extend themselves where it concerns manners, and because “Black Leaders, and Guilty white Liberals have convinced working class Blacks that they are being victimized, there exists a sense of entitlement, and Passive/aggressive racism that manifests itself in the form of boorish, loud, offensive behavior…

Liberals quote statistics about a disproportionate amount of African American youths being in jail, and leave it like evil white police are hunting them like Rhinos… That premise is racist… Perhaps someone might want to mention that a disproportionate amount of crime is committed by this very same group, and *THAT* might have a little something to do with them being in jail… technically, you could make the same assertion for tattooed Harley Bikers…

In my view, the *REAL* racists are the Liberal white people who don’t believe that Blacks are capable of civility, and who don‘t hold everyone to the same standard…and who excuse bad behavior as “cool”, or “hip” because they believe “That’s just the way those people are”…

The Truth is, racism is not nearly about color, as it is about culture…when we over simplify it and make it about Brown vs. Beige… we do ourselves a disservice. We react less to color, rather what our intellect tells us someone is most like to behave like…We make these determinations naturally, based on our experiences…

Plus I really think Black Chicks are hot, and would love for the racial barrier to fade a little so as to make it easier to break a few commandments...

Sometimes, what people call “Racism”…is simply nature… It requires rational discussion, not social damnation…

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
The "culture" thing really

The "culture" thing really does hit closer to home than the color thing. I don't care what color they are when they walk into my shop. If their pants are sagging, they have tattoos all over their neck or piercings all over their face I develop a fast negative impression.

It's not about race for me, it's about how one carries their "self".

(awaiting a flame)

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:(awaiting a

robj101 wrote:

(awaiting a flame)

Dude, why would you say something like that ?     ....oh, wait I remember now.    ha ha !

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

What an odd question. For the record, I don't think that there can be a simple answer. Slavery has been over for a very long time. There are neither living slaves nor even the grand children of slaves. In the intervening years, the US went through the era known as separate but equal, during which time, the separate communities often did develop economically to a fairly respectable level. The culture was strong and if a young black girl became pregnant out of wedlock, there was a large social stigma that followed. Today, the opposite is all too common. Adding to that, there is a phenomenon of “black flight” where those people who do work hard will leave the ghetto communities. Some people in the civil rights movement decry the idea because they feel that those who remain stand deprived of positive role models. So, for the US at least, if there is an answer, it may connect to some degree to slavery but to a much larger degree, it must connect to other social changes that happened decades later.

There aren't any slaves; there are merely undocumented workers now. Their descendants usually have a better life...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote:The way I see

ragdish wrote:

The way I see it, the most significant problem is religion. The vast majority of blacks worldwide are religious (either Christian or Muslim). The few who break free and develop a passion for science and reason are unfortunately drowned out. At my workplace the healthcare workers (physicians, nurses, etc..) who are African American share this passion for science despite the fact that they are theist. If they became the community leaders instead of bible thumping priests, your thread would become irrelevant. I think Barack Obama represnts a significant cultural shifts among blacks given his sympathies towards religious diversity including non-believers. There will be more individuals like Tyson and Finley in time.

this can be added to the list of problems also Sticking out tongue

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:The "culture"

robj101 wrote:

The "culture" thing really does hit closer to home than the color thing. I don't care what color they are when they walk into my shop. If their pants are sagging, they have tattoos all over their neck or piercings all over their face I develop a fast negative impression.

(awaiting a flame)

I agree with you on this, tats are fine, but once you start getting them on places that are visible with say a long sleeve shirt on or a suite, well it gives off a certain impression, i deal with the criminals and former criminals/gang members, tats on exposed areas, like hands, necks, head or facial area stigmatizes them. But for proper reason, more than not most that have visible tats have them not for artistic sakes (unless they are actual artists, musicians, actors) but because of gang relations or because of their criminal history (jail tats etc,) which leaves the rest of society judging them on first sight. As well the clothing and how one carries themselves is also important in our society, however the image of a culture or a race is largely dependent on how that culture portrays themselves and how they are portrayed in literature and in films. In the US blacks aren't usually portrayed in a great light, and in reality the worst people to portray their culture tend to make it into the spot light.

Another thing to keep in mind, I believe personally that we are all inherently racist, not in the sense that we will lynch others on site type of thing, but that we tend to group together with what we find familiar, those of similar skin colour, background, culture etc, etc, etc. As I have always stated individually people are great, as a group they are a bunch of assholes. I have observed this in many cases, even amongst blacks, whites, hispanics and asians (including south east asians) where individually that are fine, but bring more to the group and those with similar backgrounds or skin colour etc, tend to group together. Best example I have was an english pub I used to work at in which scots, irish, english and polish use to come and drink, individually they were fine and talked amongst themselves all friendly, but as they afternoon progressed and more came in, they would gather together, scots with scots, irish with irish, english with english and poles with poles. Even at times those from the UK would verbally attack the poles for nothing more than they were polish. Other times they would attack each other, scots against english english vs irish, irish vs scots etc, etc. (ok sometimes i would initiate it for my own entertainment but that's a different thing....I was an Argentinian, i was both their friend and enemy and odd position to be in.)

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:robj101

latincanuck wrote:

robj101 wrote:

(awaiting a flame)

I agree with you on this, tats are fine, but once you start getting them on places that are visible with say a long sleeve shirt on or a suite, well it gives off a certain impression, i deal with the criminals and former criminals/gang members, tats on exposed areas, like hands, necks, head or facial area stigmatizes them. But for proper reason, more than not most that have visible tats have them not for artistic sakes (unless they are actual artists, musicians, actors) but because of gang relations or because of their criminal history (jail tats etc,) which leaves the rest of society judging them on first sight. As well the clothing and how one carries themselves is also important in our society, however the image of a culture or a race is largely dependent on how that culture portrays themselves and how they are portrayed in literature and in films. In the US blacks aren't usually portrayed in a great light, and in reality the worst people to portray their culture tend to make it into the spot light.

Another thing to keep in mind, I believe personally that we are all inherently racist, not in the sense that we will lynch others on site type of thing, but that we tend to group together with what we find familiar, those of similar skin colour, background, culture etc, etc, etc. As I have always stated individually people are great, as a group they are a bunch of assholes. I have observed this in many cases, even amongst blacks, whites, hispanics and asians (including south east asians) where individually that are fine, but bring more to the group and those with similar backgrounds or skin colour etc, tend to group together. Best example I have was an english pub I used to work at in which scots, irish, english and polish use to come and drink, individually they were fine and talked amongst themselves all friendly, but as they afternoon progressed and more came in, they would gather together, scots with scots, irish with irish, english with english and poles with poles. Even at times those from the UK would verbally attack the poles for nothing more than they were polish. Other times they would attack each other, scots against english english vs irish, irish vs scots etc, etc. (ok sometimes i would initiate it for my own entertainment but that's a different thing....I was an Argentinian, i was both their friend and enemy and odd position to be in.)

Everyone IS a racist to an extent but I make an effort to not be. I'm as racist against my own "race" as any. I hang out with any "race" as long as they act like a decent human being. Trash comes in all colors and forms though, check your local dumpster.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
"I'm not racist- I hate all

"I'm not racist- I hate all idiots equally"

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:"I'm not

Kapkao wrote:

"I'm not racist- I hate all idiots equally"

Probably a decent way to put it.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
  I do not advocate racism,

I do not advocate racism, I advocate speciesism.

( ...not speciesism as animal rights supporters use the term.  Just the opposite.  In fact I much prefer animals over humans.   Actually, just looking at my current avatar reminds me that in bullfight I always prefer the bull to win and the f**king matador to die instead.  )