What is wrong with the Democrats in South Carolina?

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is wrong with the Democrats in South Carolina?

Seriously, how could they possibly vote to nominate Alvin Greene for the senate race? Are they really this stupid? Have they decided that voting alphabetically is the best strategy?

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Isaac Asimove did it 60

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is not often I agree with

It is not often I agree with Republicans on this, and this also has to do with other issues. People want so desperately to see a conspiracy in something that isn't there.

From JFK, to Mayan Calander alien crap, the 2000,2004 ellections. Certainly voter fraud can and does happen. But in this case, the guilty party is merely the voter not educating themselves on the candidate and simply flipping a coin.

I am guilty of this too. I don't always know who says are does what because there are only so many hours in the day. But when push comes to shove, when I go into the voting booth, Democrats reflect more of what I agree with.

This was simply a case of the voters in the primary simply thinking, "They must fall along the same lines, what difference does it make as long as one of them wins".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:From JFK, to

Brian37 wrote:

From JFK, to Mayan Calander alien crap, the 2000,2004 ellections. Certainly voter fraud can and does happen. But in this case, the guilty party is merely the voter not educating themselves on the candidate and simply flipping a coin.

This is more than just a statistically unlikely series of coin flips.

Over 100,000 people voted for Alvin Greene. When the numbers are this large, the odds of a 3-2 majority voting for him by chance are incredibly small.

I'm not saying that it was a conspiracy. However, something beyond random chance compelled a lot of people to vote for him over Vic Rawl. It has been suggested that it is because his name appeared first on the ballot. It has also been suggested that it is because his name sounds like the name of the singer Al Green. Both of those are of course crappy reasons to vote for someone, and people who used them should have left the field blank.

Regardless of what the reason(s) was, I certainly take it as further evidence that the way our democracy is structured needs to be reformed.

Brian37 wrote:

I am guilty of this too. I don't always know who says are does what because there are only so many hours in the day. But when push comes to shove, when I go into the voting booth, Democrats reflect more of what I agree with.

This was simply a case of the voters in the primary simply thinking, "They must fall along the same lines, what difference does it make as long as one of them wins".

If it is the difference of voting for either an unknown republican or an unknown democrat I can see how that might be a little bit justified. I still think it is irresponsible though, and people should leave the field blank if they have absolutely no knowledge of either candidate besides their political parties.

However, in this case, voters didn't even have that distinction. Both candidates were democrats; the only thing any significant portion of the voters knew about Greene to distinguish him from Rawl was his name, and they didn't even know that until they saw the ballot.

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look at it this way... An

Look at it this way...

An unknown simple mind black man, was voted for by a landslide in South Carolina

In theory, an intelligent, well known nazi sympathizer should have gotten more votes then Greene (again, this is South Carolina)

Just what type of abyss spawned, horse raping, pedo lawyer could have possibly been Greene's opponent?

I... i dont even think my brain is twisted enough to come up with that answer!

What Would Kharn Do?

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Look

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Look at it this way...

An unknown simple mind black man, was voted for by a landslide in South Carolina

In theory, an intelligent, well known nazi sympathizer should have gotten more votes then Greene (again, this is South Carolina)

Just what type of abyss spawned, horse raping, pedo lawyer could have possibly been Greene's opponent?

I... i dont even think my brain is twisted enough to come up with that answer!

Well, first of all, when the people voted for Alvin Greene, they had no idea he was black. He had never made any information about himself available to the general public.

Secondly, there is nothing particularly bad about Vic Rawl. He was elected to the S.C. House of Representatives four times, has been a judge, and lawyer, and doesn't appear to ever have done anything similar to the things you listed.