Faith Healers

StrangeBobby
User is offlineOffline
Faith Healers

If someone dies as a result of faith healing (instead of seeking real medical attention) should the faith healer have a responsible hand in that individual’s death? Or would the fault completely fall on the ignorance of the one seeking this alternative method of “healing”?

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The onus of the death

The onus of the death would be in the hands of the moron who sought a faith healer, unless it was actually the snake oil that killed them.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
If the faith healer

If the faith healer discouraged the person from seeking actual medical help, then yes, I would think that s/he is partially responsible.

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lawyer needed!!!

StrangeBobby wrote:

If someone dies as a result of faith healing (instead of seeking real medical attention) should the faith healer have a responsible hand in that individual’s death? Or would the fault completely fall on the ignorance of the one seeking this alternative method of “healing”?

Hello again StrangeBobby.  I was on a phone interview with Kobus & Nelson 4 weeks ago on this very topic.  Depending on the written laws of any one state or province;   It also highly depends on the willingness of the  local prosicuters to persue the matter. 

I'm no lawyer but I can say that some of the tactics used by Benny Hinn are illegal and he would be prosicuted for it here in Ontario.  Hinn's lawyers must have warned him about it since he never comes here. 1} Hinn's posse puts older people in wheelchairs, when they don't need it, so they can be seen to raise up when he cures them it looks good on his TV show but the Ontario Fire Marshall's office wouold be wrtting $2000 tickets per head (-chair) they take 'handicapped only area'very seriously here.  2} Hinn has been seen on his own TV show telling the true believers to 'step foreward with your medications and throw them away, Jesus has cured you!' this piece of bullsh**  is a felony known has "practicing medicine without a licence"  .  If anyone should die from from not takeing their meds  Hinn would face Manslaughter charges.

I'm sure most states have similar laws so what you need are Fire Marshalls and DAs willing to do their jobs inspite of the god threat.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:The onus of

robj101 wrote:
The onus of the death would be in the hands of the moron who sought a faith healer, unless it was actually the snake oil that killed them.

Well sure, if some new age cunt dies clutching a bit of quartz, well it wasn't the quartz that killed them. However, if some charlatan happened to sell poor little Bambi the bit of rock from his back yard for hundreds of dollars and led her to believe that it was medically useful, then there is a problem.

As far as the laws go, I can tell you that the US government has a track record of prosecutions for people who make false and/or misleading health claims.

A great case in point was the product that used to be marketed here under the name “Enzyte”. It was suposedly an all natural boner improver pill. The commercials were actually pretty funny because they tried to skirt the letter of the law by using generous levels of double entendre. Typically, the spokesman “Smilin' Bob” might be in a business meeting with some Japanese businessmen and the sub titles would say things like “He drives a hard bargain” and “He is remaining firm”.

They ended up with a 112 count criminal indictment and an asset forfeiture of $500,000,000.00

Of course that does require someone to actually pursue the matter on the governmental level. Thus far, there is a notable lack of enforcement on lots of stuff but I can't really see how a lack of enforcement means that the people doing this stuff are not criminally responsible for what they do.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Depends on the local law and

Depends on the local law and the age of the person who is being healed.  My state - and I believe some others - will prosecute parents if they do not get proper medical treatment for a minor child.  If the child is determined to have been medically treatable, the parents can be jailed for child neglect.  If the child dies from lack of treatment, the parents are jailed longer.  Search the Oregonlive archives if you want to see a recent case.

As for adults, as far as I am concerned, if you are that stupid, live with the consequences.  Though that also gets into gray areas.  Let's say you have cancer, and the doctors have done all they could for you.  You did surgery and chemo and radiation and followed all the advice and you still are going to die.  At that point, you decide to try everything you can and you have the money to go anywhere and try anything.  More power to you and here's hoping you make it for a few more years.

I'll go with the other guys - if you pay for a bit of quackery and you were deliberately deceived by the seller of said junk, they should be prosecuted.  But faith healers - who sell nothing but ask only for donations and don't track who donates what - too many local law enforcement believe in it themselves to ever prosecute.  That's how Hinn gets away with it in most areas - he sells nothing.  His handlers may make sure that the big contributers get special attention, but as long as they keep no records - nothing to prove.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are two kinds of Faith

There are two kinds of Faith healers... Those who are like palm readers and *KNOW* they are taking desperate, vulnerable people's people's money...and those who are delusional enough to believe they actually have a "gift"...

The Former group are criminals...and while the people who give them their money are indeed morons...I look at it as someone who walks through a high crime area and gets mugged... it doesn't give a theif the right to rob them simply because they were stupid enough to be trusting...

The trouble is proving which group any singular psychic, palm reader, fortune teller, feng shui decorator or faith healer falls into...

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Well sure, if some new age cunt dies clutching a bit of quartz, well it wasn't the quartz that killed them. However, if some charlatan happened to sell poor little Bambi the bit of rock from his back yard for hundreds of dollars and led her to believe that it was medically useful, then there is a problem.

As far as the laws go, I can tell you that the US government has a track record of prosecutions for people who make false and/or misleading health claims.

A great case in point was the product that used to be marketed here under the name “Enzyte”. It was suposedly an all natural boner improver pill. The commercials were actually pretty funny because they tried to skirt the letter of the law by using generous levels of double entendre. Typically, the spokesman “Smilin' Bob” might be in a business meeting with some Japanese businessmen and the sub titles would say things like “He drives a hard bargain” and “He is remaining firm”.

They ended up with a 112 count criminal indictment and an asset forfeiture of $500,000,000.00

Of course that does require someone to actually pursue the matter on the governmental level. Thus far, there is a notable lack of enforcement on lots of stuff but I can't really see how a lack of enforcement means that the people doing this stuff are not criminally responsible for what they do.

Yea it was just my opinion, people shouldn't be stupid enough to fall for carp like that. In a perfect world there wouldn't be faith healers or stupid people at all, oh wait, then it would be boring, dang it's just a no win situation.

Anyway, they are allowed to sell so many silly things which claim to have "medical benefits" but really just add placebo effects. I saw some retard footpad things that absorb the toxins from your body for sale at wal-greens, lol who buys this shit? It says right there on the label that it has not been proven to do anything, only that it is not harmful. That was just one example out of millions, but I laughed out loud at the store when I read the box containing the foot pad things. I imagine it is some kind of chemical reaction that makes it turn black and nasty..who..would..use...such..a..thing.

There is no telling how many people have died from lack of real treatment because they counted on silly shit to heal or cure them. Not my fault, and it's not the fault of the people selling it. If they wanna be cured by a faith healer, knowing this dude is not a doctor, they can live by faith and they can die by it. Rude but realistic and I'm unapologetic.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin