Just Ask Grandpa - A Christian answers tough questions and debunks common myths

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Just Ask Grandpa - A Christian answers tough questions and debunks common myths

Way too many "delusional myths", and unanswered questions on this site. One cannot rationally disbelieve something unless they have a clear picture of what it is that they do not believe. Since I do not see these myths and false perceptions answered properly in terms of simple reasoning I shall attempt to do it myself.

Myth #1. God will burn "sinners" in "HELL" throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity. This is not supported in the bible. It is merely a false doctrine that entered the church during the dark ages. It has it's roots in paganism. Unfortunately most Christians still believe this myth. Ultimately those who choose to accept Gods gift of eternal life will go on to live forever in a world without all the suffering and horrors of this world. Those who do not accept His gift will cease to exist and have nothing to do with God as they have chosen and wished for. Sounds pretty fair to me!

If God were indeed to burn anybody throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity (including the devil) He would be the most terrible monster one could imagine. I myself would join the movement in defying and blasting God. Fortunately we have a loving creator God that will not and would not do that.

Rather than writing a 20 page study on the topic of death and hell, I will just give a website that those interested can visit that will clearly and definitively clear this myth up. It is hell truth.com.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
You say the logic of God not

You say the logic of God not knowing those other empires is defunct but can't (or have yet to) support it.

True they didn't fit the needs of the book of Daniel but neither does Rome (neither the Rome of antiquity nor the Rome you think is going to come out of modern Europe with the Pope as its head)

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Cap,That's

jcgadfly wrote:

Cap,

That's because they're Christians and not followers of Jesus. Huge difference.

Well, they call themselves Christians, but they really aren't be it that the name Christian would suggest follower of Christ... but on that note, you and i have agreed on that point many times that many "Christians" aren't actually Christ followers.  You're right, there is a huge difference.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:You guess

Anonymouse wrote:

You guess right. Yay, I found an honest christian ! Will you sign my bible ?

lol... Sure, shall I make it out to ebay?

an honest Christian is a real Christ follower, not just someone who claims to be as mentioned in the previous post.  There are many out there..

Anonymouse wrote:

Confusion sets in a little earlier. I appreciate the reply, but you got hold of the wrong end of the stick there. I was just apologising again for the nitpicking, and inviting you bible people (you, JC, JPTS and Grampy) to continue your discussion without interference from me.

Sorry for the misunderstanding... after years of being on this site, I find that I usually have to clarify or many assumptions end up being made.  Didn't mean to do that to ya. 

Anonymouse wrote:

(I keep forgetting how bible talk is a serious hobby for some people. Not my thing, so I should butt out)

yea, I take it serious, but that doesn't mean I don't have fun with it.  I'll know now you're not one to make erronius conclusions off of a non-specific statement.  

Anonymouse wrote:

Another good guess.

Hmmm...so if they hated the work and loved their neighbour, would that make it okay ? Meh, forget it. Let's meet up in another thread for that talk.

*waves and leaves*

lol, if they hated their work and loved their neighbor, they wouldn't be doing what they do in the first place.   Simple

it was fun, c ya around.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote: I am quite

gramster wrote:

I am quite certain that for an atheist, a pristine verifiable source that agrees with the bible would be nothing less than time locked, date stamped photo complete with a dna sample, or an eye witness that has been around for a few thousand years and can prove it.

After being on this site for over 3 years, i have found that the above statement is accurate... i actually have 1 patron who actually asks me for god DNA as if it was a logical request for evidence of a metaphysical being.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Beasts

gramster wrote:

At the beginning there were a lot of countries and powers suggested that probably none of us really believe relate to these prophecies in 2, and 7.. This being China, the USA, and such. These were mentioned for reasons of perspective I suppose. I will not spend time on these at this point.

Than we have the suggestion that Media and Persia were meant to be two distinct successive powers. That I personally reject this mainly for four basic reasons.

1 Media was not a successive kingdom to Neb's Babylon.

2 Media is a poor fit for the symbolism of the beasts involved.

3 Media and Persia are seen as a unit in Daniel 8 by definition.

4 The uncanny likeness of the 4 headed leopard to the goat with 4 horns which seem to obviously be the same power (the goat being called "Greece" specifically in ch Cool would have to be forced to be Persia instead.

More Later

It is good that we are no longer considering Media and Persia as separate.

The next point in question is the identity of the 4th beast. Cowles and PJTS contend that this beast is none other than Egypt and Syria. I believe The Roman Empire is a much better fit.

The reasons for this is:

1. Egypt and Syria are already represented in the leopard with 4 heads as "Greece". This could hardly represent Alexander only as "Greece" entailed the 4 divisions. Also the 4 heads of the leopard correspond so obviously with the 4 divisions of the country. Therefore we already have Egypt and Syria represented. To have them be the 4th beast, is to have powers that are successive to themselves. This is a big problem for Cowles as well as for the 2nd century BC writer theory. 

2. The description of the 4th beast do a pretty good job of portraying The Roman Empire, and a pretty poor job of representing Egypt and Syria.

"Strong as Iron",and "Crushes all Others", doesn't seem to fit the back and forth power struggle of Egypt and Syria. It does however, portray The Roman Empire very well.

The emphasis on intermarriages in failed attempts to unite would lead one to look for a power where this stands out as more prevalent than the previous kingdoms. This is clearly true of the divided remnants of The Roman Empire, but not that much of a pattern for Egypt and Syria with a few exceptions.

The original text indicates that the kingdom would be divided in the later end of this kingdom. This is also true in the Roman interpretation, and does not fit the Egyptian theory very well.

Finally, "In the days of these kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom". This is to be an everlasting kingdom that consumes "all these". This clearly does not fit Cowles theory, even though he makes an attempt to get around it.

With the 2nd century BC theory we can as usual plead ignorance on the part of the writer who may believe that the semi independence of Israel will bring on such a kingdom, and sees the Seleucid Kingdom is such a light as above.

Trying to swallow all of this, we will acknowledge that it remains for me to show the relevance of the Roman Empire and beyond to the readers of these prophecies. It also remains for me to further detail and support my views.

Next we will take a brief review of the little horn. Than we will go on to chapter 8 which should prove to be quite interesting.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:gramster

caposkia wrote:

gramster wrote:

I am quite certain that for an atheist, a pristine verifiable source that agrees with the bible would be nothing less than time locked, date stamped photo complete with a dna sample, or an eye witness that has been around for a few thousand years and can prove it.

After being on this site for over 3 years, i have found that the above statement is accurate... i actually have 1 patron who actually asks me for god DNA as if it was a logical request for evidence of a metaphysical being.

We know that's not going to happen (although an omnimax deity such as the one you believe in should be able to pull that off).

You and Gramster are actually opponents in this fight - he believes the Bible was written by God (not inspired by - written by). You acknowledge that people had a hand it. I contend that God had no part of it (based on his current non interventionist policies).

I still think Brian's point is this. If God is a metaphysical being as you claim, he can make no intervention in the physical world. Yet you say he does but he always covers his tracks to leave no evidence of it.

Then again, we also work under differing definitions of "meta-".

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote: Read my

gramster wrote:

Read my post. I did not claim that PJTS suggested that these country's "fit the mold". Quite the contrary I pointed out that these countries were brought up to make a point, or for "perspective", which is pretty much what you just said. The reason you gave that he brought these up is accurate as I remember. The logic that God failing to mention these is evidence that He did not know about them is however, completely defunct.

The country's you listed are correct as one set that PJTS suggested. At another time he suggested that Media and Persia were separate and successive. So you need not lie to "cover" for him as he is doing fine.

I'll obviously have to review on my own.  It seems the general state of mind always is something different is implied than what you actually said.  I didn't take it as they said, but just a recap of some details as you said.  I never referenced it to anything anyone else claimed except for your own take on the information at hand.  

I'm better at reading through, following a conversation and then picking a piece of information out to talk about.  I can't stand a general statement that can go in 1000 different directions... call me OCD.  

just a final statement about the stories of the Bible paralleling X.  I reference X because there are many stories that have been claimed to be parallel to Biblical stories.  Why is this such a sticking point?  As if parallel stories automatically make the original story false.  It's likely that there are many parallels to the Bible out there because many have heard the stories or know of them in one way or another and retold them with their own perspective... which works just like the game "telephone" or "operator" whatever you called it when you were a kid.  

Recently there was a "family tree project" done to find ancestry of people.  I don't exactly remember what entity it was that implemented it.  Ultimately they split their sample group up into 5 or 6 different sub-groups.  Those groups were put together by evidences found about their ancestry.  It wasn't because they had different original family trees, but that they branched off from the same trunk in different directions;  European, Asian, African, etc.    

All ancestry was found in this study to originate in north eastern/eastern Africa and from there they branched off and migrated in all different directions, stopping along the way.  

to make a long study short, it would elude to the point that the book "The next Christiandom" starts where most world beliefs originated from a judeo/Christian belief or following, which would further support the reason for mythical parallels in history.  I would see the lack of a parallel to be more of reason to question rather than the later understanding the claim of originality of the Bible stories in human existence.  

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cap,Christians like to

Cap,

Christians like to compare the differing stories of the events in the gospels to differing eyewitness accounts of a car accident.

The problem is that the gospel accounts often differ on critical points that significantly affect the story. To use the car accident analogy: If an accident happened at 3pm on Wednesday, there may be differing accounts on who was at fault or the makes of the vehicles. However, the stories would all agree that the accident happened at 3pm on Wednesday.

In the case of the gospels, there are certain critical events where the writers can't agree on dates.

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: We know

jcgadfly wrote:

We know that's not going to happen (although an omnimax deity such as the one you believe in should be able to pull that off).

of course he should... especially if he's understood to have created everything we know... including the DNA that makes it all up... however, I don't think the question is whether he can make it for us or not, i think the question is whether we'd know how to study a metaphysical piece of DNA.  Even if we had it in our possession, I don't think it would better show us who God is or what he is especially seeing as God would know that we have no means of studying a piece of His DNA.  The only basis for study we have is the physical.  

jcgadfly wrote:

You and Gramster are actually opponents in this fight - he believes the Bible was written by God (not inspired by - written by). You acknowledge that people had a hand it. I contend that God had no part of it (based on his current non interventionist policies).

Well, i'd have to hear from Gramster exactly what his viewpoint is.  It might be similar understandings, just worded differently.  Then again, there are Christians out there that truly believe that God wrote it directly.  Despite that difference, It seems from the little that I've read so far that Gramster and I hold the same core belief and understanding.  From one Christian to another, there are bigger fish to fry than whether the scripture has minor errors in it that ultimately has nothing to do with a differing understanding of core beliefs. Christians from time to time have fun discussing and debating the differences due to vague details and unknowns in history... It's what keeps us strong in the faith and assured of a correct understanding, but  That also seems quite off topic from what is being discussed and it would be up to him if he wants to elaborate on that or not.

In conclusion, we're not opponents.  We both have the same foundation.  I can't put him on an opposing side of me because he differs in viewpoint for something that really has nothing to do with who God is, the purpose and cause of Jesus Christ and who Christ is along with our purpose in life as commissioned by God.  

The statement you made is actually why religion is the way it is... which from what I understand is not favored by most on this website.  

jcgadfly wrote:

I still think Brian's point is this. If God is a metaphysical being as you claim, he can make no intervention in the physical world. Yet you say he does but he always covers his tracks to leave no evidence of it.

Why is it exactly that if God is metaphysical he couldn't affect... or "make no intervention in the physical world"?   Who said he covers is tracks?  I've said that it's likely that we see God's work every day, but blame the result on another possible cause... or at best, an anomaly or phenomenon.... but not the result of the work of God.   I have added that just because we have an explanation on how it could happen doesn't mean that God didn't have a hand in it.  It makes perfect logical sense that God would use His creation to His advantage.  

jcgadfly wrote:

How so?  There are only so many definitions of Meta-... “after,” “along with,” “beyond,” “among,” “behind,” and productive in English on the Greek model as written in the dictionary.  I've stuck with the "beyond" definition to mean literally Beyond the physical.  What's your angle on it?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

Cap,

Christians like to compare the differing stories of the events in the gospels to differing eyewitness accounts of a car accident.

sounds reasonable

jcgadfly wrote:

The problem is that the gospel accounts often differ on critical points that significantly affect the story. To use the car accident analogy: If an accident happened at 3pm on Wednesday, there may be differing accounts on who was at fault or the makes of the vehicles. However, the stories would all agree that the accident happened at 3pm on Wednesday.

I'd like to know what key points you might be in reference to be it that intelligent Bible scholars seemed to have missed that along with many other well educated individuals.  If your focus is on time, people didn't have watches or atomic clocks at the time and would only give a general idea of what time of day it occurred.  also there is discrepency in wording as far as a reference of time in the languages.  You'll have to be specific here....

jcgadfly wrote:

In the case of the gospels, there are certain critical events where the writers can't agree on dates.

Do dates change what happened or even how it happened?  

It's generally accepted that people weren't standing there with notebooks writing down the events as they happened, that they were written some decades later.   It is likely that if you got a group of people together who happened to witness an event so many years ago that the exact time or even day of the week might differ.  It's likely too that today they would be slightly more accurate due to the resources for checking times and dates vs. the lack of those resources in Biblical times.  

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:jcgadfly

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Cap,

sounds reasonable

jcgadfly wrote:

I'd like to know what key points you might be in reference to be it that intelligent Bible scholars seemed to have missed that along with many other well educated individuals.  If your focus is on time, people didn't have watches or atomic clocks at the time and would only give a general idea of what time of day it occurred.  also there is discrepency in wording as far as a reference of time in the languages.  You'll have to be specific here....

jcgadfly wrote:

Do dates change what happened or even how it happened?  

It's generally accepted that people weren't standing there with notebooks writing down the events as they happened, that they were written some decades later.   It is likely that if you got a group of people together who happened to witness an event so many years ago that the exact time or even day of the week might differ.  It's likely too that today they would be slightly more accurate due to the resources for checking times and dates vs. the lack of those resources in Biblical times.  

it casts doubt on something more important than what happened or how it happened. It raises doubts concerning if/whether it happened at all.

Do you consider the gospels "eye-witness accounts" as so may Christians do? If you don't, you and I are in agreement for the most part. You may consider then as having eyewitnesses as source material. I can't go that far. I believe they were made up to support Paul's theory (most of, if not all of, the gospel writers were converts of Paul's).

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:it casts

jcgadfly wrote:

it casts doubt on something more important than what happened or how it happened. It raises doubts concerning if/whether it happened at all.

I don't think so.  It's if anything a poor representation of reality on either account to be frank.  There are legends that have had the truths greatly exaggerated that are based off of true people and events, then there are legends that seem much more 'down to Earth' that make logical sense and yet have no grounds in any actual happenings in history.  It's a poor representation of your belief if you're using common ground in stories to base your acceptance of truth... or not...

jcgadfly wrote:

Do you consider the gospels "eye-witness accounts" as so may Christians do? If you don't, you and I are in agreement for the most part. You may consider then as having eyewitnesses as source material. I can't go that far. I believe they were made up to support Paul's theory (most of, if not all of, the gospel writers were converts of Paul's).

Not all the gospels i would say are "eye-witness accounts", but some are as researched and concluded by scholars.   There are extensive reasonings behind those conclusions.  Look up authorship of the gospel of John for example and the reasons why it would be considered an eye-witness account.  

When the books were not eye-witness accounts, in most cases, the stories were said to be written by those who were socially close to eye-witnesses.  

I'm curious on how you concluded that they're not eye-witness accounts... mistaken dates or times don't count due to reasoning I mentioned earlier... unless of course you disagree with my reasoning and if you do, how so?  Would you say it's not likely that over an extended period of time a person would mistake a particular specific date... especially if they had a lack of focused reference to exactly when it was in the first place?  

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cap, is it OK if I tell you

Cap, is it OK if I tell you how glad I am that you aren't in law enforcement?

In your view, if Bob said "John killed Fred on Tuesday" and Jane said "Jim killed Fred on Friday", you would arrest and jail John and Jim even if Fred walked into the precinct and announced himself to you. You would look at both stores as equally true damn the evidence to the contrary.

With the gospels, we have supposed eye witness reports (written 40+ years after event allegedly occurred) of someone being killed by the government. Only they're not really sure on what day it happened, the government who supposedly carried out the killing has no record of it and there is no body to be found.

Wouldn't that raise a doubt in your mind if it wasn't about your God?

— George Carlin

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:  Than we

gramster wrote:

Than we have the suggestion that Media and Persia were meant to be two distinct successive powers. That I personally reject this mainly for four basic reasons.

1 Media was not a successive kingdom to Neb's Babylon.

2 Media is a poor fit for the symbolism of the beasts involved.

3 Media and Persia are seen as a unit in Daniel 8 by definition.

4 The uncanny likeness of the 4 headed leopard to the goat with 4 horns which seem to obviously be the same power (the goat being called "Greece" specifically in ch Cool would have to be forced to be Persia instead.

More Later

I know you do and when you jump from Daniel 2 lists of kingdoms to Daniel 7 kingdoms to Daniel 8 Kingdoms these lists are not the same therefore by listing them as you have with out specifically stating which chapter you mean interpretation and understanding will suffer. As it has.

gramster wrote:

It is good that we are no longer considering Media and Persia as separate.

Not exactly. We will never agree on this.

gramster wrote:

The next point in question is the identity of the 4th beast. Cowles and PJTS contend that this beast is none other than Egypt and Syria. I believe The Roman Empire is a much better fit.

The reasons for this is:

1. Egypt and Syria are already represented in the leopard with 4 heads as "Greece". This could hardly represent Alexander only as "Greece" entailed the 4 divisions. Also the 4 heads of the leopard correspond so obviously with the 4 divisions of the country. Therefore we already have Egypt and Syria represented. To have them be the 4th beast, is to have powers that are successive to themselves. This is a big problem for Cowles as well as for the 2nd century BC writer theory. 

2. The description of the 4th beast do a pretty good job of portraying The Roman Empire, and a pretty poor job of representing Egypt and Syria.

"Strong as Iron",and "Crushes all Others", doesn't seem to fit the back and forth power struggle of Egypt and Syria. It does however, portray The Roman Empire very well.

The emphasis on intermarriages in failed attempts to unite would lead one to look for a power where this stands out as more prevalent than the previous kingdoms. This is clearly true of the divided remnants of The Roman Empire, but not that much of a pattern for Egypt and Syria with a few exceptions.

The original text indicates that the kingdom would be divided in the later end of this kingdom. This is also true in the Roman interpretation, and does not fit the Egyptian theory very well.

Finally, "In the days of these kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom". This is to be an everlasting kingdom that consumes "all these". This clearly does not fit Cowles theory, even though he makes an attempt to get around it.

With the 2nd century BC theory we can as usual plead ignorance on the part of the writer who may believe that the semi independence of Israel will bring on such a kingdom, and sees the Seleucid Kingdom is such a light as above.

Trying to swallow all of this, we will acknowledge that it remains for me to show the relevance of the Roman Empire and beyond to the readers of these prophecies. It also remains for me to further detail and support my views.

Next we will take a brief review of the little horn. Than we will go on to chapter 8 which should prove to be quite interesting.

I do not agree nor can I be convinced by your opinions.

1-As previously explained - the leopard in Daniel 7  is Persia and the 4 heads are the 4 kings known to the Jews or considered important by them.

2-As previously meticulously detailed for you the 4th beast in Daniel 7 is Greece which becomes the Seleucid kingdom. The 10 kings were previously listed by me and Antiochus is the little horn.

You assert that the beast is Rome. 

A-Therefore instead of making assertions, detail the marriages that attempt to unite the Roman empire versus those of the Seleucid kingdom if you can. Just because you may not know of those of the Seleucid or you are unsure is not a reason to be dismissive of them.

B-As we are comparing the Seleucid Kingdom to that of Rome, detail how each  fits this - "Strong as Iron",and "Crushes all Others" especially in relation to the Jews. Rome invading Britain in itself has no meaning to the Jews for example.

C-I dont' know what Egyptian theory you mean?

I think I was very clear in expressing my view that the self governing of Judea by the Jews meets this prophecy of setting up God's kingdom.

As to Cowles views where I disagree, ask him, or read more of his book. His view on this is not mine.

Daniel 2 Kingdoms

1-Babylon

2-Medes

3-Persians

4-Greece(Macedonia) from which the Seleucid kingdom and 3 others come forth.

Daniel 7

1-Babylon

2-Medes

3-Persians

4-Greece(Macedonia) from which the Seleucid kingdom comes from as do the 10 kings and the little horn which is Antiochus 4

Daniel 8

2 Animals are shown. There is nothing representing Babylon in this chapter.

1-Ram which has 2 horns identified as the Medes and Persians in the verse.

1-Medes are the small horn

2-Persians which are the much larger horn

2-Goat has 4 horns and a very large horn in the center - identified as Greece and the great king (Alexander)

The 4 horns are:

1-Antigonid Empire (Dynasty)

2-Ptolemaic Empire

3-Attalid Empire

4-Seleucid Empire

I suggest you list your kingdoms in the same way and please also list the chapter when you refer to the kingdoms from now on.

Thank You.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Correction

jcgadfly wrote:

caposkia wrote:

gramster wrote:

Correction. I made no statement that the bible was written by the very hand of God. If I referenced God as authoring the Bible, it would be only in reference to a conversation relevant to God's knowledge and influence.

Since there seems to be some confusion on this issue, I will now make my position very clear. I believe that God inspired the writing of the bible, and at some times went as far as to actually tell the authors what to write. The book of Daniel specifically states that Daniel was shown these things by God, this would be in visions. The only part God actually wrote Himself are the 10 Commandments.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The Maccoby Myth

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

I don't think so.  It's if anything a poor representation of reality on either account to be frank.  There are legends that have had the truths greatly exaggerated that are based off of true people and events, then there are legends that seem much more 'down to Earth' that make logical sense and yet have no grounds in any actual happenings in history.  It's a poor representation of your belief if you're using common ground in stories to base your acceptance of truth... or not...

jcgadfly wrote:

Not all the gospels i would say are "eye-witness accounts", but some are as researched and concluded by scholars.   There are extensive reasonings behind those conclusions.  Look up authorship of the gospel of John for example and the reasons why it would be considered an eye-witness account.  

When the books were not eye-witness accounts, in most cases, the stories were said to be written by those who were socially close to eye-witnesses.  

I'm curious on how you concluded that they're not eye-witness accounts... mistaken dates or times don't count due to reasoning I mentioned earlier... unless of course you disagree with my reasoning and if you do, how so?  Would you say it's not likely that over an extended period of time a person would mistake a particular specific date... especially if they had a lack of focused reference to exactly when it was in the first place?  

Hi Cap,

What Gadfly is rambling on about here is a theory fabricated by an author named Maccoby. He asserts that most of the new testament was written by Paul and his followers, and that Paul "made the whole thing up".

He takes things like Paul's disagreement with Barnaby, and blows it up in to a bitter battle that seems to last a lifetime. He also does all the usual things that "liberals" like to do when they criticize the Bible. Like reading things in to the text things that are not there, suggesting that the fact that something is not mentioned means that according to that author it did not happen, etc.

We spent some time debating this book of fiction, and you may not believe this, but we never did come to the same conclusions. I found the book to be based almost exclusively on speculation. 

This seems to be a favorite topic for them.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:caposkia

gramster wrote:

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hi Cap,

What Gadfly is rambling on about here is a theory fabricated by an author named Maccoby. He asserts that most of the new testament was written by Paul and his followers, and that Paul "made the whole thing up".

He takes things like Paul's disagreement with Barnaby, and blows it up in to a bitter battle that seems to last a lifetime. He also does all the usual things that "liberals" like to do when they criticize the Bible. Like reading things in to the text things that are not there, suggesting that the fact that something is not mentioned means that according to that author it did not happen, etc.

We spent some time debating this book of fiction, and you may not believe this, but we never did come to the same conclusions. I found the book to be based almost exclusively on speculation. 

And since you haven't done jack to dispute Maccoby's position except say "I don't like what he says" and "you have to throw out Paul's words to make it work" and "I think Maccoby's work is fiction" you must agree with that position as well. Assertions and opinions don't support positions - facts and research do.
Someday I hope you learn the difference and actually bring something useful to the discussion.

As for something not mentioned likely not happening - we're no talking about minor omissions here. We're talking about cases where the subject of an event has a different recollection of events than the person writing about the event much later (with the subject's account in front of them).

You're another one of those guys that I'm glad aren't in law enforcement. You'd be willing to throw out the victim's account of events and accept the perp's account of the event that he wrote three days later with the help of his attorney.

— George Carlin

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Facts vs Speculation

jcgadfly wrote:

gramster wrote:

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hi Cap,

And since you haven't done jack to dispute Maccoby's position except say "I don't like what he says" and "you have to throw out Paul's words to make it work" and "I think Maccoby's work is fiction" you must agree with that position as well. Assertions and opinions don't support positions - facts and research do.
Someday I hope you learn the difference and actually bring something useful to the discussion.

As for something not mentioned likely not happening - we're no talking about minor omissions here. We're talking about cases where the subject of an event has a different recollection of events than the person writing about the event much later (with the subject's account in front of them).

You're another one of those guys that I'm glad aren't in law enforcement. You'd be willing to throw out the victim's account of events and accept the perp's account of the event that he wrote three days later with the help of his attorney.

Dear Mr Gadfly,

We examined Maccoby's book of fiction very carefully. If you recall every point he made was based on speculation. There was not one point that held up. Cap can read through for himself to see if this is so. If he wants a good laugh he can also read the book.

As for being in law enforcement, if I were on trial, I certainly would not want you on the jury. You would hang an innocent man in a heartbeat based on speculation and assumption.

The only way you can hold on to your atheistic views is to believe in the wild and unsupported Maccoby Myth that Paul "made up" Christianity, and that most of the books of the NT were authored by those other than the ones universally recognized by most scholars.

Like most conspiracy theories, Maccoby knows the truth that everybody else seems to have missed. As I stated previously, I never have been big on conspiracy theories.

I wonder if you also believe that man never walked on the moon??

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Gramps, all I recall is you

Gramps, all I recall is you stating your opinion that Maccoby's work was speculation without bringing any support. Do you have any now or do you still use the Bible as counter-"evidence"?

As for conspiracy theorists - American Christians have to be the largest conspiracy theorists extant. What other group can be the majority of a nation, wield great influence over the government of that nation and still claim that they are "persecuted"?

— George Carlin

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote: Correction.

gramster wrote:

Correction. I made no statement that the bible was written by the very hand of God. If I referenced God as authoring the Bible, it would be only in reference to a conversation relevant to God's knowledge and influence.

Since there seems to be some confusion on this issue, I will now make my position very clear. I believe that God inspired the writing of the bible, and at some times went as far as to actually tell the authors what to write. The book of Daniel specifically states that Daniel was shown these things by God, this would be in visions. The only part God actually wrote Himself are the 10 Commandments.

OK, we are now clear on where you think the writing originated. I think Cap might disagree that this was exactly the case based on my discussions with him for the last few years. In particular is the tendency of the OT books to exaggerate greatly the numbers involved in the storyline. But Cap can speak for himself on that.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline

gramster wrote:

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

All we have on the Gospels are handed down documents without attribution in them to who actually wrote them. As I mentioned in a thread in regard to "Former Catholics", the writer does not give credit to his sources in the text at all. The details in regard to John the Baptist and the early life of Jesus would have to come from Mary and/or  her cousin Elizabeth. There is nothing in either Luke or Matthew which says, I Luke received all of this knowledge from Mary the mother of Jesus. Mark and Luke are not "eye-witnesses" to anything in their books at all as their information came 2nd hand at best. Matthew and John were both written even later, casting doubts on their writers as well. Since I don't subscribe to anyone being inspired by a God or even a Muse I consider their writing to be based in legends. The text of the Gospels show this is true with the 100s of differences between them. Normally the argument is this is due to the writer's perspective, which if the information is based in legends is somewhat actually what likely occurred. Different stories in regard to a desert prophet were floating around, told in one area and migrating to other parts of the country. Eventually details of the stories contain slight to major differences. Thus you end up with both a 5000 and a 4000 person feeding. You get 2 versions of the centurions servant being healed. You get a multiple choice account of the "passion week". What if any of this was based in reality becomes quite impossible to discern.

While the stories of the desert prophet are floating around, one character named Saul/Paul becomes a Jesus believer. Whether his change in beliefs was from a visitation, epilepsy, or a physiological disorder is not possible to determine without examination of Saul-Paul who is not amongst the living. Examination of his claims as compared to what Jesus in the writing teaches has many differences. Maccoby does point this out in his book. Again I discussed this subject in the Catholic thread I mentioned.

See - http://www.voiceofjesus.org/paulvsjesus.html

http://www.sonofman.org/paul1.htm

http://www.wordwiz72.com/paul.html

for a start on some of the differences. 

gramster wrote:

Hi Cap,

Paul it would seem was an actual real person, but he lacks a lot of understanding of the Jesus in the later written Gospels. There an interesting aspects to his life that are very questionable. If a pharisee, why was he employed by the opposing enemy the Herodian priests? Paul's writing does not correspond to the Pharisee way of thinking as in his use of logic, where he takes his arguments beyond the premises. Paul uses the Septuagint not the Hebrew text in his scripture references, a pharisee would not. Who actually was it in Damascus that tried to seize him, Aretas soldiers or the Jews. Acts seems to show differences between James & Paul, why? Paul is seized by the Romans and it is later claimed that the Roman commander did so to save Paul as he knew him to be a Roman. Though the writer just a few verses earlier mentioned torturing Paul, which contradicts the Romans knowing he had Roman citizenship. After Paul is in protective custody of the Romans and it becomes known he is a Roman, no contact is discussed between James and the other Jesus believers.

All of this can be discussed after you finish your interpretations of Daniel if you like as it is a major side track from the thrust of the current topic.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Mingle

JPTS

In regards to Daniel 2:43 "As you saw iron mixed with ceramic clay, they will mingle with the seed of men, but they will not adhere to one another, just as iron does not mix with clay."

I previously pointed out that this text strongly suggests a notable pattern of intermarriages between those in positions of power. These marriages would naturally involve the divisions of this beast, and in it's later stages. I suggested this was clearly the case after the breakup of the Roman Empire. You asked for some examples.

If one takes the "long view" of interpretation with the prophecies where the history of relevant nations are portrayed down to the coming of the "kingdom of God" at the end of the world, this all makes perfect sense.

The 4th beast, represents at first Pagan Rome, and than Modern Europe after the break up of the Roman Empire. Modern Europe being the divided kingdom at the later days of this beast's existence.

That being said, I will give a very small glimpse of the "mingling" that went on between these European Powers.

We will start at a point just prior to WWI.

German born Prince Albert weds Queen Victoria of England.

Kaiser Wilhelm II (their son) ends up ruling Germany and Prussia.

Queen Sophia (their grand daughter) marries Constantine soon to be King of Greece

Edward VII (their son) soon to be King of England marries Alexandria of Denmark

Maud (their grand daughter) marries Haakon IV King of Norway

Tsarina Alexandra (their grand daughter) marries Nicholas soon to be Emperor of Russia

Marie (their grand daughter) marries Ferdinand I soon to be King of Romania

Margaret (their grand daughter) marries Prince Gastav of Sweeden

Victoria Eugenie (their grand daughter) marries King Alfonso of Spain

The relations were so "intermingled" that Edward VII was commonly referred to as the "Uncle of Europe". He was closely related to rulers of many European countries including: Germany, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Romania, Greece, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Portugal, Bulgaria, and more.

Not to mention that Isabella (daughter of King Philip of France) became the wife of King Edward II of England, and the list goes on.

One can not study the history of Europe without being overwhelmed with all the "mingling" that went on.

This is truly a short list indeed. A complete list may not even be possible. That's why WWI has often been referred to as on big family feud.

There are a couple of examples of "mingling" in the kingdoms of Egypt and Syria at the time of the Seleucid Kings, but nothing really on a notable scale.

And just what would be referred to as the "divided kingdom" that did not adhere to one another?

Really? Just one more poor fit.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:One can not

gramster wrote:

One can not study the history of Europe without being overwhelmed with all the "mingling" that went on.

This is truly a short list indeed. A complete list may not even be possible. That's why WWI has often been referred to as on big family feud. 

The 'mingling' is because they were trying to have royalty marry royalty.  A hundred plus years ago, the royals would not have been allowed to marry commoners.  That is one of the reasons poor King Edward VIII had to abdicate when he married Wallis Simpson - let alone she was divorced and an American.  It wasn't an attempt to unite Europe - but rather to influence the other countries to a more favorable position.  Never forgetting that Queen Victoria's royal children had to marry other royal children by her decree.

Even during the Middle Ages (roughly 5th-15th centuries), the goal was not to unite countries, but to have an insider in the other kingdom.  Remember how little girl children were valued at the time - even princesses were to be sold to the highest bidder.  Any "uniting" was usually done by conquest.  See the various King Henrys and France/Aquitaine.  If I am incorrect, any historians on board, please correct me.

There are darn few truly royal families left in the world - so if the current crop of young royals want to marry at all, they will all have to marry commoners.  <Pity.>

I don't see how this fits into your Daniel prophecies except by pushing and shoving - and your own desire.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The Paul Thing

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

gramster wrote:

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

All we have on the Gospels are handed down documents without attribution in them to who actually wrote them. As I mentioned in a thread in regard to "Former Catholics", the writer does not give credit to his sources in the text at all. The details in regard to John the Baptist and the early life of Jesus would have to come from Mary and/or  her cousin Elizabeth. There is nothing in either Luke or Matthew which says, I Luke received all of this knowledge from Mary the mother of Jesus. Mark and Luke are not "eye-witnesses" to anything in their books at all as their information came 2nd hand at best. Matthew and John were both written even later, casting doubts on their writers as well. Since I don't subscribe to anyone being inspired by a God or even a Muse I consider their writing to be based in legends. The text of the Gospels show this is true with the 100s of differences between them. Normally the argument is this is due to the writer's perspective, which if the information is based in legends is somewhat actually what likely occurred. Different stories in regard to a desert prophet were floating around, told in one area and migrating to other parts of the country. Eventually details of the stories contain slight to major differences. Thus you end up with both a 5000 and a 4000 person feeding. You get 2 versions of the centurions servant being healed. You get a multiple choice account of the "passion week". What if any of this was based in reality becomes quite impossible to discern.

While the stories of the desert prophet are floating around, one character named Saul/Paul becomes a Jesus believer. Whether his change in beliefs was from a visitation, epilepsy, or a physiological disorder is not possible to determine without examination of Saul-Paul who is not amongst the living. Examination of his claims as compared to what Jesus in the writing teaches has many differences. Maccoby does point this out in his book. Again I discussed this subject in the Catholic thread I mentioned.

See - http://www.voiceofjesus.org/paulvsjesus.html

http://www.sonofman.org/paul1.htm

http://www.wordwiz72.com/paul.html

for a start on some of the differences. 

gramster wrote:

Hi Cap,

Paul it would seem was an actual real person, but he lacks a lot of understanding of the Jesus in the later written Gospels. There an interesting aspects to his life that are very questionable. If a pharisee, why was he employed by the opposing enemy the Herodian priests? Paul's writing does not correspond to the Pharisee way of thinking as in his use of logic, where he takes his arguments beyond the premises. Paul uses the Septuagint not the Hebrew text in his scripture references, a pharisee would not. Who actually was it in Damascus that tried to seize him, Aretas soldiers or the Jews. Acts seems to show differences between James & Paul, why? Paul is seized by the Romans and it is later claimed that the Roman commander did so to save Paul as he knew him to be a Roman. Though the writer just a few verses earlier mentioned torturing Paul, which contradicts the Romans knowing he had Roman citizenship. After Paul is in protective custody of the Romans and it becomes known he is a Roman, no contact is discussed between James and the other Jesus believers.

All of this can be discussed after you finish your interpretations of Daniel if you like as it is a major side track from the thrust of the current topic.

Yes, indeed we did discuss "the Paul thing". I will leave it up to Cap to go back and look into this if he wants. I will for now, continue my focus on Daniel.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Errors in Victoria's descedants

gramster wrote:

You error here. He was Victoria's grandson. Her daughter Victoria Adelaide Mary, married Frederick III of Germany. Their son was Kaiser Wilhelm II.

gramster wrote:

Not to mention that Isabella (daughter of King Philip of France) became the wife of King Edward II of England, and the list goes on.

Edward the 2nd was the son of Edward I aka Longshanks, you know Braveheart the movie.

What does this have to do with Queen Victoria?

He was king from 1284 to 1327.

He had 5 children by 2 women including Isabella the daughter of Phillip IV. who deposed him. 

I don't think that either of them were related to Victoria.

Germans were not Romans, they were barbarians.

Brits are comprised of Celts, Anglo-Saxons, and Normans.

Celts were not Roman.

Anglo-Saxons were not Roman but barbarians.

Normans were a mix of races mostly derived from barbarians.

Russians were never part of Rome.

Most of the Scandinavian countries are descendants of Vikings and were not Romans.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
This was your assignment,

This was your assignment, not mine to compare the intermarriages and relationships. Instead you just claim there were very few examples of intermingling on the part of the Greeks  and drop it.

The following shows much of that which occurred in the Greek intermarriages from Alexander on. Since you are avoiding detailing the Greek -Hellenistic relationships I will post some of it for you to show you why there is no reason to ignore it when it comes to Daniel. I don't know if you are just too lazy to research it or you suspect it discredits your interpretation.

gramster wrote:

There are a couple of examples of "mingling" in the kingdoms of Egypt and Syria at the time of the Seleucid Kings, but nothing really on a notable scale.

Greek -Seleucid - Ptolemy marriages & relationships.

Alexander married Roxana, a Bactrian princess (part of today's Turkmenistan) - the child was Alexander IV of Macedonia

Ptolemy Lagi - married two wives, Eurydice, the daughter of Antipater, whom he divorced, and Berenice, her companion. 

Antipater was a Macedonian  general and supporter of Phillip II and Alexander of Macedon, and was the regent over the empire after Alexander's death.

-sons - Ptolemy Ceraunus and Philadelphus

see - http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/ptolemies/ptolemy_i_soter.htm#Early

Ptolemy II (Philadelphus) - married  his 1st wife Arsinoe I the daughter of Lysimachus, king of Thrace, Asia Minor and Macedon.

- his 2nd wife was his full blood sister, Arsinoe II. She was previously married to King Lysimachus to whom she bore three sons, Ptolemy, Lysimachus and Philip. After the kings death she fled to Cassandrea  and married her half-brother Ptolemy Keraunos, son of Ptolemy I by Eurydice. Both of them claimed the throne of Macedonia. Through intrigue she plotted against Keraunos and 2 of hers sons are killed. She fled to Egypt and married her brother at that point. Ptolemy II and Arsinoe II rules Egypt during the 1st Syrian War.

see - http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/ptolemies/ptolemy_ii_philadelphus.html

Ptolemy III ( Euergetes ), the eldest son of Philadelphus by his first wife - married Berenice, daughter and heiress of Magas, adding Cyrenaica. 

- children - Ptolemy IV, Aridonoe III, unnamed son.

During his reign the 3rd Syrian war occurs.

see - http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/ptolemies/ptolemy_iii_euergetes.html

Ptolemy IV - married his sister Arsinoe III. Had a mistress named Agathoclea.

- son Ptolemy V

see - http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/ptolemies/ptolemy_iv_philopator.html

Ptolemy V - married the daughter of Seleucid king Antiochus III - Cleopatra I as part of peace treaty after the war ended in 193 BCE. They had 3 children, Ptolemy VI, Ptolemy VII, and Cleopatra II.

- children Cleopatra II, Ptolemy VI & Ptolemy VIII

see - http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/ptolemies/ptolemy_v_epiphanes.html

Ptolemy VI - married his sister Cleopatra II, she is the daughter of Cleo I and granddaughter of Antiochus III is deposed by Antiochus IV but is supported by Rome and is reinstated, ruling jointly.

- children - Ptolemy Eupator, Ptolemy VII Neos Philopator, Cleopatra Thea

2nd wife - unknown name

- child - Ptolemy Memphites

see - http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/ptolemies/ptolemy_vi_philometor.html

Ptolemy VII  (sometimes the numbers of these 2 are reversed)- Neos Philopator - probable son of Ptolemy VI and Cleopatra II. Most likely murdered by his father.

Ptolemy VIII - (sometimes the numbers of these 2 are reversed) - Physcon -  also married his sister Cleopatra II. Is put on the throne by Antiochus IV. Married his wife's daughter Cleopatra III as well. In 131 BCE the people of Alexandria rioted which causes a civil war between Cleopatra II and Ptolemy VII & her daughter Cleopatra III.  Cleopatra II offers the throne of Egypt to Demetrius II of Syria, but he can't get his army far enough. Ptolemy sent his daughter Cleopatra Tryphaena to marry Antiochus VI. He dies in 116 BCE.

- 1st wife Cleopatra II - no children

- 2nd wife Cleopatra III

- children - Ptolemy IX, Ptolemy X, Cleopatra IV, Cleopatra V, Tryphaena-married to Antiochus VIII

-3rd wife Irene

- child - Ptolemy Apion

see - http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/ptolemies/ptolemy_viii_physcon.html

Syrian - Seleucid

Seleucus I Nicator - married Apama. daughter of Spitamenes, a Persian leader who fought against Alexander.

- Sons Antiochus I and Achaeus

-  also married Stratonice I - with several marriages of influence - http://www.livius.org/so-st/stratonice/stratonice_i.html

- children - daughter Phila II marries Antigonus II Gonatas King of Macedonia

See also - http://www.livius.org/se-sg/seleucids/seleucus_i_nicator.html

Antiochus I Soter - marries his stepmother Stratonice I

- children - Seleucus, Laodice, Apame II - married Magas of Cyrene, Stratonice II - married Demetrius II of Macedonia, and Antiochus II.

see - http://www.livius.org/am-ao/antiochus/antiochus_i_soter.html

Antiochus II Theos - 1st wife -  Laodice I

- children - Selecus II, Antiochus Hierax, Apame, Stratonice III-married to Ariarathes III of Cappodocia, Laodice-married to Mithrates II of Pontus

-2nd wife - Berenice Phernephorus the daughter of Ptolemy II

- child - son Antiochus

see - http://www.livius.org/am-ao/antiochus/antiochus_ii_theos.html

Seleucus II Callinicus - wife Laodice II

- children - Antiochis(daughter) - married to Xerxes of Armenia, Alexander (aka Seleucus III Ceraunus), LU, Antiochus III

see - http://www.livius.org/se-sg/seleucids/seleucus_ii_callinicus.html

Seleucus III Ceraunus - no children or wife mentioned.

Antiochus III the Great - 1st wife Laodice III (daughter of Mithrates II of Pontus)

- children - Antiochus (died), Selecus IV, Ardys, a daughter (name not clear)  - engaged to Demetrius of Bactria, Laodice IV, Cleopatra Syra-married to Ptolemy V, Antiochis (daughter)-married to Ariarathes IV of Cappodocia, Antiochus IV

- 2nd wife - Euboea of Chalcis - no children

see - http://www.livius.org/am-ao/antiochus/antiochus_iii.html

Seleucus IV Philopator - wife, probably his sister Laodice IV

- children - Antiochus, murdered, Demetrius I Soter, Laodice V-married to Perseus of Macedonia

see - http://www.livius.org/se-sg/seleucids/seleucus_iv_philopator.html

Antiochus IV Epiphanes - wife Laodice IV, his sister the widow of his brother

- children - Antiochus V, Laodice VI-married to Mithrates V of Pontus, Alexander Balas

see - http://www.livius.org/am-ao/antiochus/antiochus_iv_epiphanes.html

Antiochus V Eupator - no wife or children mentioned.

Sometime in this vicinity the 2nd century BCE origin ended, possibly around Antiochus V or before. The intermarriages continue however. As my opinion is the Book of Daniel was written and finished in this time period, continuing on with the marriages are really not needed. I will go as far as Demetrius II, which is past the point I consider the writer of Daniel wrote.

Demetrius I Soter - wife - Laodice V 

- child - Demetrius II

see - http://www.livius.org/de-dh/demetrius/demetrius_i_soter.html

Alexander I Balas - wife - Cleopatra Thea the daughter of Ptolemy VI

- children - Antiochus VI, maybe Alexander II Zabinas

see - http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander01/alexander_i_balas.html

Demetrius II Nicator - 1st wife - Cleopatra Thea (ex-wife of Alexander Balas

-children - Seleucus V, Antiochus VIII, and an unnamed daughter married to Phraates II son of Mithradires of Parthia

- 2nd wife - Rhodogyne - daughter of Mithraties I of Parthia - no children

see - http://www.livius.org/de-dh/demetrius/demetrius_ii_nicator.html

I did not research every single child of the Ptolmeies and the Seleucids, nor did I detail all the relationships with Macedonia and Greece proper. If I did, there would be more. There is more than enough here to justify it as the period when a 2nd century origin is considered.

Therefore I take a very dim view of you dismissing this period which has relevance to the Jews in Palestine as you have in favor of very unrelated relationships in kingdoms that come 100s and if not 2000 years later.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Romans

gramster wrote:

You error here. He was Victoria's grandson. Her daughter Victoria Adelaide Mary, married Frederick III of Germany. Their son was Kaiser Wilhelm II.

gramster wrote:

Edward the 2nd was the son of Edward I aka Longshanks, you know Braveheart the movie.

What does this have to do with Queen Victoria?

He was king from 1284 to 1327.

He had 5 children by 2 women including Isabella the daughter of Phillip IV. who deposed him. 

I don't think that either of them were related to Victoria.

Germans were not Romans, they were barbarians.

Brits are comprised of Celts, Anglo-Saxons, and Normans.

Celts were not Roman.

Anglo-Saxons were not Roman but barbarians.

Normans were a mix of races mostly derived from barbarians.

Russians were never part of Rome.

Most of the Scandinavian countries are descendants of Vikings and were not Romans.

Yes, Kaiser Wilhelm II was a grandson, not son.

Victoria Adelade Mary, daughter of Victoria did marry Fredrick III of Germany. I did not include that one.

Edward II had nothing to do with Victoria, but is an example of intermarriage involving England and France.

Germans, Brits, Anglo Saxons, and Normans of course are not Romans. They are the offspring of the barbaric tribes that descended upon The Roman Empire and broke it up. That is why the kingdom was divided in it's later stages.

Russians were not part of Rome with the exception of some border areas.

Denmark, Norway, and Sweden were not part of Rome. These are just examples of intermarriages between England and other countries in the region.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Intermarriages

This was your assignment, not mine to compare the intermarriages and relationships. Instead you just claim there were very few examples of intermingling on the part of the Greeks  and drop it.

The following shows much of that which occurred in the Greek intermarriages from Alexander on. Since you are avoiding detailing the Greek -Hellenistic relationships I will post some of it for you to show you why there is no reason to ignore it when it comes to Daniel. I don't know if you are just too lazy to research it or you suspect it discredits your interpretation.

gramster wrote:

Greek -Seleucid - Ptolemy marriages & relationships.

Alexander married Roxana, a Bactrian princess (part of today's Turkmenistan) - the child was Alexander IV of Macedonia

Ptolemy Lagi - married two wives, Eurydice, the daughter of Antipater, whom he divorced, and Berenice, her companion. 

Antipater was a Macedonian  general and supporter of Phillip II and Alexander of Macedon, and was the regent over the empire after Alexander's death.

-sons - Ptolemy Ceraunus and Philadelphus

see - http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/ptolemies/ptolemy_i_soter.htm#Early

Ptolemy II (Philadelphus) - married  his 1st wife Arsinoe I the daughter of Lysimachus, king of Thrace, Asia Minor and Macedon.

- his 2nd wife was his full blood sister, Arsinoe II. She was previously married to King Lysimachus to whom she bore three sons, Ptolemy, Lysimachus and Philip. After the kings death she fled to Cassandrea  and married her half-brother Ptolemy Keraunos, son of Ptolemy I by Eurydice. Both of them claimed the throne of Macedonia. Through intrigue she plotted against Keraunos and 2 of hers sons are killed. She fled to Egypt and married her brother at that point. Ptolemy II and Arsinoe II rules Egypt during the 1st Syrian War.

see - http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/ptolemies/ptolemy_ii_philadelphus.html

Ptolemy III ( Euergetes ), the eldest son of Philadelphus by his first wife - married Berenice, daughter and heiress of Magas, adding Cyrenaica. 

- children - Ptolemy IV, Aridonoe III, unnamed son.

During his reign the 3rd Syrian war occurs.

see - http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/ptolemies/ptolemy_iii_euergetes.html

Ptolemy IV - married his sister Arsinoe III. Had a mistress named Agathoclea.

- son Ptolemy V

see - http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/ptolemies/ptolemy_iv_philopator.html

Ptolemy V - married the daughter of Seleucid king Antiochus III - Cleopatra I as part of peace treaty after the war ended in 193 BCE. They had 3 children, Ptolemy VI, Ptolemy VII, and Cleopatra II.

- children Cleopatra II, Ptolemy VI & Ptolemy VIII

see - http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/ptolemies/ptolemy_v_epiphanes.html

Ptolemy VI - married his sister Cleopatra II, she is the daughter of Cleo I and granddaughter of Antiochus III is deposed by Antiochus IV but is supported by Rome and is reinstated, ruling jointly.

- children - Ptolemy Eupator, Ptolemy VII Neos Philopator, Cleopatra Thea

2nd wife - unknown name

- child - Ptolemy Memphites

see - http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/ptolemies/ptolemy_vi_philometor.html

Ptolemy VII  (sometimes the numbers of these 2 are reversed)- Neos Philopator - probable son of Ptolemy VI and Cleopatra II. Most likely murdered by his father.

Ptolemy VIII - (sometimes the numbers of these 2 are reversed) - Physcon -  also married his sister Cleopatra II. Is put on the throne by Antiochus IV. Married his wife's daughter Cleopatra III as well. In 131 BCE the people of Alexandria rioted which causes a civil war between Cleopatra II and Ptolemy VII & her daughter Cleopatra III.  Cleopatra II offers the throne of Egypt to Demetrius II of Syria, but he can't get his army far enough. Ptolemy sent his daughter Cleopatra Tryphaena to marry Antiochus VI. He dies in 116 BCE.

- 1st wife Cleopatra II - no children

- 2nd wife Cleopatra III

- children - Ptolemy IX, Ptolemy X, Cleopatra IV, Cleopatra V, Tryphaena-married to Antiochus VIII

-3rd wife Irene

- child - Ptolemy Apion

see - http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/ptolemies/ptolemy_viii_physcon.html

Syrian - Seleucid

Seleucus I Nicator - married Apama. daughter of Spitamenes, a Persian leader who fought against Alexander.

- Sons Antiochus I and Achaeus

-  also married Stratonice I - with several marriages of influence - http://www.livius.org/so-st/stratonice/stratonice_i.html

- children - daughter Phila II marries Antigonus II Gonatas King of Macedonia

See also - http://www.livius.org/se-sg/seleucids/seleucus_i_nicator.html

Antiochus I Soter - marries his stepmother Stratonice I

- children - Seleucus, Laodice, Apame II - married Magas of Cyrene, Stratonice II - married Demetrius II of Macedonia, and Antiochus II.

see - http://www.livius.org/am-ao/antiochus/antiochus_i_soter.html

Antiochus II Theos - 1st wife -  Laodice I

- children - Selecus II, Antiochus Hierax, Apame, Stratonice III-married to Ariarathes III of Cappodocia, Laodice-married to Mithrates II of Pontus

-2nd wife - Berenice Phernephorus the daughter of Ptolemy II

- child - son Antiochus

see - http://www.livius.org/am-ao/antiochus/antiochus_ii_theos.html

Seleucus II Callinicus - wife Laodice II

- children - Antiochis(daughter) - married to Xerxes of Armenia, Alexander (aka Seleucus III Ceraunus), LU, Antiochus III

see - http://www.livius.org/se-sg/seleucids/seleucus_ii_callinicus.html

Seleucus III Ceraunus - no children or wife mentioned.

Antiochus III the Great - 1st wife Laodice III (daughter of Mithrates II of Pontus)

- children - Antiochus (died), Selecus IV, Ardys, a daughter (name not clear)  - engaged to Demetrius of Bactria, Laodice IV, Cleopatra Syra-married to Ptolemy V, Antiochis (daughter)-married to Ariarathes IV of Cappodocia, Antiochus IV

- 2nd wife - Euboea of Chalcis - no children

see - http://www.livius.org/am-ao/antiochus/antiochus_iii.html

Seleucus IV Philopator - wife, probably his sister Laodice IV

- children - Antiochus, murdered, Demetrius I Soter, Laodice V-married to Perseus of Macedonia

see - http://www.livius.org/se-sg/seleucids/seleucus_iv_philopator.html

Antiochus IV Epiphanes - wife Laodice IV, his sister the widow of his brother

- children - Antiochus V, Laodice VI-married to Mithrates V of Pontus, Alexander Balas

see - http://www.livius.org/am-ao/antiochus/antiochus_iv_epiphanes.html

Antiochus V Eupator - no wife or children mentioned.

Sometime in this vicinity the 2nd century BCE origin ended, possibly around Antiochus V or before. The intermarriages continue however. As my opinion is the Book of Daniel was written and finished in this time period, continuing on with the marriages are really not needed. I will go as far as Demetrius II, which is past the point I consider the writer of Daniel wrote.

Demetrius I Soter - wife - Laodice V 

- child - Demetrius II

see - http://www.livius.org/de-dh/demetrius/demetrius_i_soter.html

Alexander I Balas - wife - Cleopatra Thea the daughter of Ptolemy VI

- children - Antiochus VI, maybe Alexander II Zabinas

see - http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander01/alexander_i_balas.html

Demetrius II Nicator - 1st wife - Cleopatra Thea (ex-wife of Alexander Balas

-children - Seleucus V, Antiochus VIII, and an unnamed daughter married to Phraates II son of Mithradires of Parthia

- 2nd wife - Rhodogyne - daughter of Mithraties I of Parthia - no children

see - http://www.livius.org/de-dh/demetrius/demetrius_ii_nicator.html

I did not research every single child of the Ptolmeies and the Seleucids, nor did I detail all the relationships with Macedonia and Greece proper. If I did, there would be more. There is more than enough here to justify it as the period when a 2nd century origin is considered.

Therefore I take a very dim view of you dismissing this period which has relevance to the Jews in Palestine as you have in favor of very unrelated relationships in kingdoms that come 100s and if not 2000 years later.

You are right. I should not have discredited this without doing proper research. My apologies. I will avoid doing this in the future.

You have done a fine job in proving your point on this one.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster

gramster wrote:

~

Rip

~

You are right. I should not have discredited this without doing proper research. My apologies. I will avoid doing this in the future.

You have done a fine job in proving your point on this one.

Thank you.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Daniel Chapter 8

With that, I think it is time for us to jump into chapter 8. We have already covered beasts, kings, kingdoms, successive territories, chasms, mingling, saints, and the kog. Chapter 8 will afford more opportunity and gives more details.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Cap, is it OK

jcgadfly wrote:

Cap, is it OK if I tell you how glad I am that you aren't in law enforcement?

In your view, if Bob said "John killed Fred on Tuesday" and Jane said "Jim killed Fred on Friday", you would arrest and jail John and Jim even if Fred walked into the precinct and announced himself to you. You would look at both stores as equally true damn the evidence to the contrary.

Your example is poor for the context.  One reason being that there is no reason to doubt the names written and who did what.  As far as the dates are concerned, we're talking about a writeup of the incident and not the actual action and follow through of the result of the incident.  Again, names have been clear from the start and at this point the crime (referencing to your example) and the sentencing is done and over with.  By this time John has either been given the chair or rotted in jail.  The story written would be a recap of the events that took place... maybe names were changed to protect the innocent.. who knows... either way, mistaking whether the crime happened on Tuesday or Friday doesn't change what happened or who got jailed or affected by the happenings.  The point of the story was the happenings, not whether the happenings happen to occur on the first full moon during a leap year.    That information is irrelevant to the point and quite useless in the story generally speaking.

jcgadfly wrote:

With the gospels, we have supposed eye witness reports (written 40+ years after event allegedly occurred) of someone being killed by the government. Only they're not really sure on what day it happened, the government who supposedly carried out the killing has no record of it and there is no body to be found.

Wouldn't that raise a doubt in your mind if it wasn't about your God?

depends.  If you're talking about today, of course... why?  because we have the means not only to effectively record and store the information but 1001 ways to confirm the date and time down to the millisecond (sometimes) of the actual occurrence... i'm sure News 7 chopper was right over the action

If we're talking about Biblical times, I would not have any doubt if the source to me was understood to be reliable.  a lot of deaths happened that no one today would ever be able to find out information on possibly because of a dramatic government cover-up, but likely due to lack of record keeping to begin with.  especially with Emperors and kings.. who have the final say on what is written down and what isn't within their territory.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote: Hi Cap,What

gramster wrote:

Hi Cap,

yea, I've been talking to him for a while now myself.  He at least is willing to think... from time to time... though of course sometimes i can see he jumps to conclusions before thinking.

They do favor this topic.  In my opinion it's because it's where they think they have us cornered, when in fact, any educated Christian would see they haven't done the research on their conclusions.  

Speculation is their favorite approach because... well so far, that's the only defense they have effectively used against our belief.  When challenged, most run away and few like Jcadfly will stay and duke it out.  

My approach to all this is a completely open mind.  I will hear what they have to say and expect them to detail any questions i have... or counters... about that conclusion with the understanding that if they can effectively and logically show me why their conclusion is reasonable, I would accept it.  Needless to say, i'm still a Christian.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

gramster wrote:

OK, we are now clear on where you think the writing originated. I think Cap might disagree that this was exactly the case based on my discussions with him for the last few years. In particular is the tendency of the OT books to exaggerate greatly the numbers involved in the storyline. But Cap can speak for himself on that.

No, I agree.  "God inspired" doesn't mean the authors can't take their own liberties in writing it down.    We have yet to touch on the book of Daniel, but visions shown by God i would also agree would likely be more accurate... but again, the author has the freedom to write it on their own.    These exaggerations don't change the occurrences of the stories or how it all happened... or even what happened because of it.   The point of the stories isn't that 300,000 men from coopersville ate 1,000,000 Philli Cheese Stakes and broke the world record.  the point is that a group from Coopersville broke the world record for most Philli Steaks eaten.  

The point is, it's what happened and the result of the happening, not the magnitude of happening.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote: Yes, indeed

gramster wrote:

Yes, indeed we did discuss "the Paul thing". I will leave it up to Cap to go back and look into this if he wants. I will for now, continue my focus on Daniel.

I might leave it for now.  See if I can jump in at some point on the Daniel discussion.  

I'm still trying to figure out the base for the conversation.  What are your ultimate intentions for the any of these conversations?  Are you trying to convince each other of certain points or are we just having a friendly debate about details?

i only ask because some of the focus and reasoning from what I can see won't have a clear conclusion due to lack of information on the focus on both sides.   I'm all for a friendly debate with no purpose, but I'd tend to sit and watch those rather than getting involved.  I tend to lean toward either agreeing on a side, or agreeing that we can't logically conclude on the point due to lack of information and move on.  

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The purpose of the Daniel discussion

caposkia wrote:

gramster wrote:

I might leave it for now.  See if I can jump in at some point on the Daniel discussion.  

I'm still trying to figure out the base for the conversation.  What are your ultimate intentions for the any of these conversations?  Are you trying to convince each other of certain points or are we just having a friendly debate about details?

i only ask because some of the focus and reasoning from what I can see won't have a clear conclusion due to lack of information on the focus on both sides.   I'm all for a friendly debate with no purpose, but I'd tend to sit and watch those rather than getting involved.  I tend to lean toward either agreeing on a side, or agreeing that we can't logically conclude on the point due to lack of information and move on.  

My contention is that the book of Daniel is prophecy that was written as it claims well before the events prophesied took place. If this can be shown to be true, it is evidence of the existence of God.

JPTS and the atheists claim that Daniel was written by an unknown author in the 2nd century BC, making it nothing more than history as it happened.

The claim was also made that the prophecies in Daniel can be made to fit pretty much any interpretation that one wants them to. Thus if they "happen" to match powers at a later time this would not be the "hand of God". No God needed.

JPTS recommended Cowles predominantly Catholic view that the 4th beast represents Egypt and Syria following the death of Alexander the Great, and not The Roman Empire.

My contention is that only one interpretation will hold up to close investigation to the end. That being the one originally intended by the books ultimate author.

Untangling all the twists and turns put forward in the process of this is of course no quick and easy process.

I like to evaluate things from a simple common sense point of view. If it does not make sense, than I am compelled to reject it.

I am going chapter by chapter and discussing each relevant passage, considering the three main view points, Cowles theory, the 2nd century BC writer theory, and the Roman Theory.

I don't know if that helps. Feel free to join in.

Gramps

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Ram w/2 horns

gramster wrote:

With that, I think it is time for us to jump into chapter 8. We have already covered beasts, kings, kingdoms, successive territories, chasms, mingling, saints, and the kog. Chapter 8 will afford more opportunity and gives more details.

Chapter jumps right in starting with the Ram with 2 horns.

Daniel 8:3,4 "Than I lifted my eyes and saw, and there, standing beside the river, was a ram which had two horns, and the two horns were high; but one was higher than the other, and the higher one came up last. 4. I saw the ram pushing westward, northward, and southward, so that no beast, could withstand him; nor was there any that could deliver from his hand, but he did according to his will and became very great."

I would like to point out once again the uncanny likeness of this Ram in chapter to the Bear in chapter 7.

1. The Ram had 2 horns, one higher - The Bear was raised up with one side higher

2. The Ram was pushing 3 directions - The Bear had 3 ribs between it's teeth

We already know from Daniel 8:20 that the Ram is identified by the author as the kings of Media and Persia.

The kingdom of "Medo-Persia" or Archaemeid Empire came out of the east and conquered 3 main territories. Babylon to the west, Lydia to the northwest, and Egypt to the southwest.

It is still being suggested that in Daniel 2 and 7 the kingdoms of Media and Persia are represented as separate, successive kingdoms. I cannot find any basis for accepting this.

Cyaxares, listed as the first king of Media joined an alliance with Nabopolassar of Babylonia.

Astyages, listed as the second and last king of Media ruled in alliance with old king Neb.

The "Median Empire" never included Babylon even based on the Herodotean view.

Media did not exist as a separate kingdom following the fall of Babylon.

I have searched history and cannot find any basis for Media being represented as a separate, successive kingdom.

Thus I have no alternative to believe that the chest of arms of silver in chapter 2, and the bear in chapter 7, as well as the ram in chapter all refer to the same power. The kings of Media and Persia.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote: My

gramster wrote:

My contention is that the book of Daniel is prophecy that was written as it claims well before the events prophesied took place. If this can be shown to be true, it is evidence of the existence of God.

JPTS and the atheists claim that Daniel was written by an unknown author in the 2nd century BC, making it nothing more than history as it happened.

The claim was also made that the prophecies in Daniel can be made to fit pretty much any interpretation that one wants them to. Thus if they "happen" to match powers at a later time this would not be the "hand of God". No God needed.

JPTS recommended Cowles predominantly Catholic view that the 4th beast represents Egypt and Syria following the death of Alexander the Great, and not The Roman Empire.

My contention is that only one interpretation will hold up to close investigation to the end. That being the one originally intended by the books ultimate author.

Untangling all the twists and turns put forward in the process of this is of course no quick and easy process.

I like to evaluate things from a simple common sense point of view. If it does not make sense, than I am compelled to reject it.

I am going chapter by chapter and discussing each relevant passage, considering the three main view points, Cowles theory, the 2nd century BC writer theory, and the Roman Theory.

Gramps

1- I agree that only one interpretation will hold up to the author's intention, which I'm clear is in the 2nd century BCE.

2-My mom named me Paul John, hence PJTS, not John Paul or JPTS. OK?

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The goat in Chapter 8

Next we have the Goat in chapter 8.

8:5 to 8 "And as I was considering, suddenly a male goat came from the west, across the surface of the whole earth, without touching the ground; and the goat had a notable horn between his eyes. 6. Than he came to the ram that had two horns...with furious power. 7. And...he was moved with rage against him, and attacked the ram, and broke his two horns... 8. Therefore the male goat grew very great, but when he became strong, the large horn was broken, and in place of it four notable ones came up toward the four winds of heaven."

We are not left to speculate the power that this beast represents, as we are told by the author specifically in verses 21 and 22.

"And the male goat is the kingdom of Greece. The large horn between its eyes is the first king. As for the broken horn and the four that stood up in its place, four kingdoms shall arise out of that nation, but not with its power"

Here we have clearly represented Alexander the Great, and the four divisions of "Greece" that followed his death.

Once again I would like to point out the uncanny likeness of the Goat in chapter 8, to the Leopard in chapter 7.

1. The Goat is "flying" across the earth - The leopard has 4 wings (both symbolizing the swiftness with which Alexander conquered "the earth&quotEye-wink.

2. The Goat has 4 horns that arise after the large one - The leopard has 4 heads (both symbolizing the four divisions of "Greece" following Alexanders death)

I believe the texts are significantly clear that these beasts are parallel representations of the same powers. Once again I cannot find any basis for a different interpretation than this here.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
My Apologies

gramster wrote:

Gramps

1- I agree that only one interpretation will hold up to the author's intention, which I'm clear is in the 2nd century BCE.

2-My mom named me Paul John, hence PJTS, not John Paul or JPTS. OK?

<My apologies. This was not intentional. I will be careful not to transpose this in the future.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:gramster

gramster wrote:

gramster wrote:

Daniel 8:3,4 "Than I lifted my eyes and saw, and there, standing beside the river, was a ram which had two horns, and the two horns were high; but one was higher than the other, and the higher one came up last. 4. I saw the ram pushing westward, northward, and southward, so that no beast, could withstand him; nor was there any that could deliver from his hand, but he did according to his will and became very great."

I would like to point out once again the uncanny likeness of this Ram in chapter to the Bear in chapter 7.

1. The Ram had 2 horns, one higher - The Bear was raised up with one side higher

We already know from Daniel 8:20 that the Ram is identified by the author as the kings of Media and Persia.

The kingdom of "Medo-Persia" or Archaemeid Empire came out of the east and conquered 3 main territories. Babylon to the west, Lydia to the northwest, and Egypt to the southwest.

It is still being suggested that in Daniel 2 and 7 the kingdoms of Media and Persia are represented as separate, successive kingdoms. I cannot find any basis for accepting this.

Cyaxares, listed as the first king of Media joined an alliance with Nabopolassar of Babylonia.

Astyages, listed as the second and last king of Media ruled in alliance with old king Neb.

I have searched history and cannot find any basis for Media being represented as a separate, successive kingdom.

Thus I have no alternative to believe that the chest of arms of silver in chapter 2, and the bear in chapter 7, as well as the ram in chapter all refer to the same power. The kings of Media and Persia.

My position on Daniel chapter 8 is in post #714.

You are clear in that you do not agree with my interpretation of Daniel 2 and 7, I understand. 

I was clear why I oppose your view, we disagree and are on different roads as a result. These roads will never come back together due to the injection of the Roman empire in your interpretation and my view it does not apply. 

PJTS post#714 wrote:

Daniel 8

2-Goat has 4 horns and a very large horn in the center - identified as Greece and the great king (Alexander)

The 4 horns are:

2-Ptolemaic Empire

3-Attalid Empire

4-Seleucid Empire

I also discussed the other 2 chapters as well, Daniel 2 and Daniel 7.

In Daniel 8, we both see the same thing, a ram. It has 2 horns, one is smaller, the Medes, and the other is larger, Persians.

We also both see the goat with a large horn, Alexander and 4 other horns.

Even if you go back to the leopard in Daniel 7 and make it Alexander with the 4 heads being the divided kingdom the 4th beast can still be the Seleucid kingdom which is how Cowles interpretated it.

In Daniel 8 there is nothing representing Rome at all. The goat being Alexander and the kingdoms coming from it does not have a place for Rome to arise.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The Little Horn of Daniel 8

gramster wrote:

gramster wrote:

My position on Daniel chapter 8 is in post #714.

You are clear in that you do not agree with my interpretation of Daniel 2 and 7, I understand. 

I was clear why I oppose your view, we disagree and are on different roads as a result. These roads will never come back together due to the injection of the Roman empire in your interpretation and my view it does not apply. 

PJTS post#714 wrote:

Daniel 8

The 4 horns are:

2-Ptolemaic Empire

3-Attalid Empire

4-Seleucid Empire

I also discussed the other 2 chapters as well, Daniel 2 and Daniel 7.

In Daniel 8, we both see the same thing, a ram. It has 2 horns, one is smaller, the Medes, and the other is larger, Persians.

We also both see the goat with a large horn, Alexander and 4 other horns.

Even if you go back to the leopard in Daniel 7 and make it Alexander with the 4 heads being the divided kingdom the 4th beast can still be the Seleucid kingdom which is how Cowles interpretated it.

In Daniel 8 there is nothing representing Rome at all. The goat being Alexander and the kingdoms coming from it does not have a place for Rome to arise.

If the leopard represents Alexander, and the 4 heads represent the 4 divisions of his kingdom, than as I previously pointed out, the Seleucid kingdom is already represented. The great and terrible beast would have to be a power that followed those 4 divisions. The next great power on the scene that controlled Palestine and the areas most affecting the Jews was "Rome". You need not make a power successive to itself to solve this one.

Daniel 8:9 "And out of one of them came a little horn which grew exceedingly great toward the south, toward the east, and toward the glorious land."

AE IV does not match this description very well. He did not grow exceedingly great in this way. I know that in the eyes of a 2nd century Jew he may have been seen as very great, so I will leave this one alone for now.

Rome however does match this description quite well. Egypt (South) fell to Rome in 30 BC, Syria (East) fell to Rome in 65 BC, and Palestine fell to Rome in 63 BC. Rome did grow "exceedingly" in all of those directions.

No warped perspectives needed, no kingdoms successive to themselves needed.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote: If the

gramster wrote:

If the leopard represents Alexander, and the 4 heads represent the 4 divisions of his kingdom, than as I previously pointed out, the Seleucid kingdom is already represented. The great and terrible beast would have to be a power that followed those 4 divisions.

It's clear in Daniel 8 that out of one of the horns on the goat comes the little horn. Rome did not come out of the split up of Alexander's empire but was simultaneously developing as I previous showed you.

Rome was founded in the 8th century BCE approximately 747 - 753 BCE - sources Cicero, Dio Cassius and others

Roman Republic established - 509 BCE

Roman expansion begins almost immediately - 

gramster wrote:

The next great power on the scene that controlled Palestine and the areas most affecting the Jews was "Rome". You need not make a power successive to itself to solve this one.

Daniel 8:9 "And out of one of them came a little horn which grew exceedingly great toward the south, toward the east, and toward the glorious land."

AE IV does not match this description very well. He did not grow exceedingly great in this way. I know that in the eyes of a 2nd century Jew he may have been seen as very great, so I will leave this one alone for now.

Atheists are said to take verses out of context but you show that you can do this as well. The entire pertinent verses to the little horn in Daniel 8 are:

Daniel 8:8-9 NIV wrote:

8 The goat became very great, but at the height of its power the large horn was broken off, and in its place four prominent horns grew up toward the four winds of heaven.

9 Out of one of them came another horn, which started small but grew in power to the south and to the east and toward the Beautiful Land.

Pay attention to 1st verse 8, "in its place 4 prominent horns grew up toward the 4 winds of heaven."

This you have said indicates the 4 kingdoms that arise from the breakup of Alexander, specifically you said -

gramster post #738 wrote:

2. The Goat has 4 horns that arise after the large one - The leopard has 4 heads (both symbolizing the four divisions of "Greece" following Alexanders death)

and in

gramster post #351 wrote:

3. We have a Goat which "came...not touching the ground". We would call this really flying. The goat is identified for us as Greece. It had four horns which are identified as "four kingdoms (that) shall arise out of that nation.

The 4 kingdoms that come from the breakup of Alexander's Empire are universally agreed to be-

2-Ptolemaic Empire

3-Attalid Empire

4-Seleucid Empire

Since verse 9 specifically says the little horn comes from one of these 4 kingdoms, "Out of one of them came another horn"

and Rome already existed and developed from outside the empire of Alexander and these kingdoms,

Rome therefore Cannot Be the Little Horn by definition of this verse!!! You therefore are in error.

gramster wrote:

Rome however does match this description quite well. Egypt (South) fell to Rome in 30 BC, Syria (East) fell to Rome in 65 BC, and Palestine fell to Rome in 63 BC. Rome did grow "exceedingly" in all of those directions.

Rome does not fit at all. And by verse 9 of Daniel 8 cannot be the kingdom.

Do you need me to post maps of control for the Seleucids versus Rome and show you?

*edit* added maps of Roman expansion***

see - roman expansion in Italy 500 to 218 BCE wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roman_conquest_of_Italy.PNG

see Punic wars Carthage 218 BCE - wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rome_carthage_218.jpg

see Roman Expansion in 117 CE wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RomanEmpire_117.svg

Rome expanded concurrent with the Seleucids. The greatest expansion was in the 1st century BCE was Julius Caesar which was to the North.

The Seleucids just prior to the writing of Daniel in the 2nd century BCE invaded to the South taking the "Beautiful Land" or the "glorious land" from the Ptolemaic Empire in 198 BCE.

see map in 270 BCE - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Diadochi2.png

see map in 194 BCE showing conquests to the EAST and SOUTH - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:194fkr.JPG which include Judea, "the beautiful land"

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Little horn / Ancient Hebrew / Territories

gramster wrote:

If the leopard represents Alexander, and the 4 heads represent the 4 divisions of his kingdom, than as I previously pointed out, the Seleucid kingdom is already represented. The great and terrible beast would have to be a power that followed those 4 divisions.

It's clear in Daniel 8 that out of one of the horns on the goat comes the little horn. Rome did not come out of the split up of Alexander's empire but was simultaneously developing as I previous showed you.

Rome was founded in the 8th century BCE approximately 747 - 753 BCE - sources Cicero, Dio Cassius and others

Roman Republic established - 509 BCE

Roman expansion begins almost immediately - 

gramster wrote:

The next great power on the scene that controlled Palestine and the areas most affecting the Jews was "Rome". You need not make a power successive to itself to solve this one.

Atheists are said to take verses out of context but you show that you can do this as well. The entire pertinent verses to the little horn in Daniel 8 are:

Daniel 8:8-9 NIV wrote:

8 The goat became very great, but at the height of its power the large horn was broken off, and in its place four prominent horns grew up toward the four winds of heaven.

9 Out of one of them came another horn, which started small but grew in power to the south and to the east and toward the Beautiful Land.

Pay attention to 1st verse 8, "in its place 4 prominent horns grew up toward the 4 winds of heaven."

This you have said indicates the 4 kingdoms that arise from the breakup of Alexander, specifically you said -

gramster post #738 wrote:

and in

gramster post #351 wrote:

3. We have a Goat which "came...not touching the ground". We would call this really flying. The goat is identified for us as Greece. It had four horns which are identified as "four kingdoms (that) shall arise out of that nation.

The 4 kingdoms that come from the breakup of Alexander's Empire are universally agreed to be-

2-Ptolemaic Empire

3-Attalid Empire

4-Seleucid Empire

Since verse 9 specifically says the little horn comes from one of these 4 kingdoms, "Out of one of them came another horn"

and Rome already existed and developed from outside the empire of Alexander and these kingdoms,

Rome therefore Cannot Be the Little Horn by definition of this verse!!! You therefore are in error.

gramster wrote:

Rome does not fit at all. And by verse 9 of Daniel 8 cannot be the kingdom.

Do you need me to post maps of control for the Seleucids versus Rome and show you?

*edit* added maps of Roman expansion***

see - roman expansion in Italy 500 to 218 BCE wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roman_conquest_of_Italy.PNG

see Punic wars Carthage 218 BCE - wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rome_carthage_218.jpg

see Roman Expansion in 117 CE wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RomanEmpire_117.svg

Rome expanded concurrent with the Seleucids. The greatest expansion was in the 1st century BCE was Julius Caesar which was to the North.

The Seleucids just prior to the writing of Daniel in the 2nd century BCE invaded to the South taking the "Beautiful Land" or the "glorious land" from the Ptolemaic Empire in 198 BCE.

see map in 270 BCE - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Diadochi2.png

see map in 194 BCE showing conquests to the EAST and SOUTH - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:194fkr.JPG which include Judea, "the beautiful land"

in

"Out of one of them came another horn which grew exceedingly great"

It is very common to error in interpretation of texts due to information lost through translation. This is the case here.

In Hebrew words often have gender. The author of Daniel made it very clear to Hebrew readers that he was definitely not saying that the other horn came out of one of the four horns. What he is saying is that the other horn came out of one of the four winds of heaven.

How do we know this for sure. We go back to the original language. In Hebrew the word for them (mehem) is masculine. The word for horn (qeren) is feminine. And the word for winds (ruchout) is gender neutral.

A Hebrew writer would never use a masculine pronoun to refer to a feminine noun. Therefore the Hebrew reader would readily understand that the author was referring to the gender neutral noun.

To the Hebrew reader this would be just as plain as if the writer had said "out of one of the four winds". But in English this is lost.

If a 2nd century writer was referring to AE IV, he most certainly would have used a feminine gendered pronoun to indicate that he was referring to the four horns.  AE IV definitely came out of one of the four horns. By referring to the winds instead of the horns he pretty much precludes AE IV.

Therefore it makes sense to look for another power that this horn represents.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Even if you try to make Rome

Even if you try to make Rome the fourth beast you still have issues because the claim is that the fourth kingdom is different from all the others. I'm not sure how Rome fits that either.

— George Carlin

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I like your choice of maps.

I like your choice of maps. It makes it easy to reference our conversation.

Map 1. Shows Rome in control of pretty much all of Italy, and the island territories just off it's coast by the start of the 2nd Punic War.

Map 2. Shows the Alps to the North which did not contain any significant powers that could rival Rome. It also shows the territories controlled by Rome as in Map 1.

Map 3. Shows the Roman Empire 117 AD which includes territories to the South, the East, and includes Babylon, and "the glorious land".

Map 4. Shows the Seleucid Empire primarily to the East.

Map 5. Shows expansion of the Seleucid Empire which already dominated the East, Northward, and West including into the "glorious land", and Babylon.

Prior to pushing to the South, East, and Glorious Land, Rome did push North gaining control of "Italy".

I am a bit confused however to your reference to the Seleucid Empire, and the directions it expanded. Are you suggesting that the "little horn" here in Daniel 8 is this Empire?

I am at a loss to know if this horn is supposed to represent the Seleucid Empire, or AE IV.

I'm sure you will clarify this.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:"Out of one

gramster wrote:

It is very common to error in interpretation of texts due to information lost through translation. This is the case here.

In Hebrew words often have gender. The author of Daniel made it very clear to Hebrew readers that he was definitely not saying that the other horn came out of one of the four horns. What he is saying is that the other horn came out of one of the four winds of heaven.

How do we know this for sure. We go back to the original language. In Hebrew the word for them (mehem) is masculine. The word for horn (qeren) is feminine. And the word for winds (ruchout) is gender neutral.

A Hebrew writer would never use a masculine pronoun to refer to a feminine noun. Therefore the Hebrew reader would readily understand that the author was referring to the gender neutral noun.

To the Hebrew reader this would be just as plain as if the writer had said "out of one of the four winds". But in English this is lost.

If a 2nd century writer was referring to AE IV, he most certainly would have used a feminine gendered pronoun to indicate that he was referring to the four horns.  AE IV definitely came out of one of the four horns. By referring to the winds instead of the horns he pretty much precludes AE IV.

Nice try.

Please supply the source of your information. I don't recall that you have an advance degree in Hebrew Language studies, or do you?

Link?

Also the following is the JPS Hebrew version of the verses under discussion;

JPS Hebrew version says this in Daniel 8:7-9 "And I saw him come close unto the ram, and he was moved with choler against him, and smote the ram, and broke his two horns; and there was no power in the ram to stand before him; but he cast him down to the ground, and trampled upon him; and there was none that could deliver the ram out of his hand. 8 And the he-goat magnified himself exceedingly; and when he was strong, the great horn was broken; and instead of it there came up the appearance of four horns toward the four winds of heaven. 9 And out of one of them came forth a little horn, which waxed exceeding great, toward the south, and toward the east, and toward the beauteous land."

Admittedly one can play with the language in English. Does out of one of them refer to the horns? Does out of them refer to the 4 winds? The four winds are said to be of heaven, not the 4 winds of earth. Possibly a big deal.

However, see  Critical Commentary on the Book of Daniel, 1899 by Driver - free google ebook pp 230-232. Driver discusses the interpretations and concludes otherwise than you.

The Jewish encloclopedia online seems to agree with me that Daniel was written in the 2nd century BCE and not by Daniel in the 6th century BCE. They also see it as Antiochus IV and the persecution. Since the book of Daniel is from their writing, their understanding should take precedance. As one would assume the Jewish rabbis responsible for this article are far more familar than you are in Hebrew it seems to discredit your position.

see - http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=34&letter=D&search=book%20of%20daniel

Please explain why your interpretations should be considered over the Hebrews and Jews.

***Edit Added***

Also consider Daniel 8:22-23(NIV)- which makes it clear that it is a king from one of the kingdoms, not a new kingdom from across the 4 winds as you claim.

"The four horns that replaced the one that was broken off represent four kingdoms that will emerge from his nation but will not have the same power.  23 “In the latter part of their reign, when rebels have become completely wicked, a fierce-looking king, a master of intrigue, will arise."

***End Edit***

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:I like your

gramster wrote:

I like your choice of maps. It makes it easy to reference our conversation.

Map 1. Shows Rome in control of pretty much all of Italy, and the island territories just off it's coast by the start of the 2nd Punic War.

Map 2. Shows the Alps to the North which did not contain any significant powers that could rival Rome. It also shows the territories controlled by Rome as in Map 1.

Map 3. Shows the Roman Empire 117 AD which includes territories to the South, the East, and includes Babylon, and "the glorious land".

Map 4. Shows the Seleucid Empire primarily to the East.

Map 5. Shows expansion of the Seleucid Empire which already dominated the East, Northward, and West including into the "glorious land", and Babylon.

Prior to pushing to the South, East, and Glorious Land, Rome did push North gaining control of "Italy".

I am a bit confused however to your reference to the Seleucid Empire, and the directions it expanded. Are you suggesting that the "little horn" here in Daniel 8 is this Empire?

I am at a loss to know if this horn is supposed to represent the Seleucid Empire, or AE IV.

I'm sure you will clarify this.

Thanks, pictures sometimes help. The maps do show that a very large part of the Roman empire was to the north, something not mentioned by Daniel.

As Rome conquered the Italian Pennisula, the 1st thing they did was destroy the Etruscans, who were to the North. The maps also show Rome's expansion to the South, defeat of Cathage, to the east, and the very largest grab of territory of all to the North, the Iberian Pennisula and Gaul as well as half of Briton. Daniel does not indicate that the largest land grab would be in the North. Another strike against it being Rome.

Under Antiochus the Great (III) the empire expanded and included for the 1st time the area previously controlled by the Ptolemaic kingdom including Judea. The map shows this.

The little horn is Antiochus IV, don't get confused so easily. In Daniel 8, the horn that is the Seleucid kingdom gives rise to the little horn that is Antiochus IV. Since you want the little horn to come forth from the 4 winds and be Rome, you cause yourself to be confused, the writer jumped right to the little horn, so don't confuse yourself on that either.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline

gramster wrote:

caposkia wrote:

gramster wrote:

I might leave it for now.  See if I can jump in at some point on Daniel discussion.  

I like to evaluate things from a simple common sense of view. If it does not make sense, than I am compelled to reject it.

Gramps

Hey Gramps,
I have been away for quite awhile and am delighted this Daniel conversation is still on. Is another goal of yours to show how Daniel shows the exact date when Christ moves from the first part of the heavenly temple into the most holy part, and judgement (Yom Kippur) has begun? And this would simultaneously be the establishment of God's final true church, which are the Seventh-Day Adventists?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
link / Hebrew / lexicons

gramster wrote:

Nice try.

Please supply the source of your information. I don't recall that you have an advance degree in Hebrew Language studies, or do you?

Link?

Also the following is the JPS Hebrew version of the verses under discussion;

JPS Hebrew version says this in Daniel 8:7-9 "And I saw him come close unto the ram, and he was moved with choler against him, and smote the ram, and broke his two horns; and there was no power in the ram to stand before him; but he cast him down to the ground, and trampled upon him; and there was none that could deliver the ram out of his hand. 8 And the he-goat magnified himself exceedingly; and when he was strong, the great horn was broken; and instead of it there came up the appearance of four horns toward the four winds of heaven. 9 And out of one of them came forth a little horn, which waxed exceeding great, toward the south, and toward the east, and toward the beauteous land."

Admittedly one can play with the language in English. Does out of one of them refer to the horns? Does out of them refer to the 4 winds? The four winds are said to be of heaven, not the 4 winds of earth. Possibly a big deal.

However, see  Critical Commentary on the Book of Daniel, 1899 by Driver - free google ebook pp 230-232. Driver discusses the interpretations and concludes otherwise than you.

The Jewish encloclopedia online seems to agree with me that Daniel was written in the 2nd century BCE and not by Daniel in the 6th century BCE. They also see it as Antiochus IV and the persecution. Since the book of Daniel is from their writing, their understanding should take precedance. As one would assume the Jewish rabbis responsible for this article are far more familar than you are in Hebrew it seems to discredit your position.

see - http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=34&letter=D&search=book%20of%20daniel

Please explain why your interpretations should be considered over the Hebrews and Jews.

***Edit Added***

Also consider Daniel 8:22-23(NIV)- which makes it clear that it is a king from one of the kingdoms, not a new kingdom from across the 4 winds as you claim.

"The four horns that replaced the one that was broken off represent four kingdoms that will emerge from his nation but will not have the same power.  23 “In the latter part of their reign, when rebels have become completely wicked, a fierce-looking king, a master of intrigue, will arise."

***End Edit***

Sorry, Yes, a link for references is in place.

For a good online readable side by side English translation of the Hebrew with the Strong's Lexicon, I am using the following site.

www.biblos.com

Unfortunately Strong's Lexicon here does not always include the complete gender information. Another site I use to obtain further information is:

www.blueletterbible.org

This site is referenced off of The Wordbook of the Old Testament, which is not available online.

The first site will give the Strong's reference number. I use this to match the exact Hebrew word used in the text, and the second site gives further information.

What you will find is that the word for "them" used in the text is masculine only, and sometimes mistaken by modern readers to be feminine. The word for "horns" used in the text is always feminine. And the word for "winds" is usually feminine, but sometimes masculine, making it the only word that "them" can be referring to.

I hope this link helps

Gramps

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back

ex-minister wrote:

gramster wrote:

caposkia wrote:

gramster wrote:

I might leave it for now.  See if I can jump in at some point on Daniel discussion.  

I like to evaluate things from a simple common sense of view. If it does not make sense, than I am compelled to reject it.

Gramps

Hey Gramps, I have been away for quite awhile and am delighted this Daniel conversation is still on. Is another goal of yours to show how Daniel shows the exact date when Christ moves from the first part of the heavenly temple into the most holy part, and judgement (Yom Kippur) has begun? And this would simultaneously be the establishment of God's final true church, which are the Seventh-Day Adventists?

Welcome back. This is not a goal of mine. My goal is to examine Daniel in regards to the true intended interpretation of the author, and how this relates to it's fulfillment. Also, in so doing, to answer the various claims and accusations about Daniel that have been put forward.

I know that "Gramps" (sorry for the 1st person) moves slowly. But we are getting closer to the things you are waiting to discuss.