The Pope is an intelectual pussy!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
The Pope is an intelectual pussy!

http://www.examiner.com/x-2044-Atheism-Examiner~y2010m5d31-Vatican-excludes-Richard-Dawkins-and-Christopher-Hitchens-from-atheist-debate-guest-list?#comments

While the pope pretends to be a cosmic gynecologist and expert on reproductive anatomy, and a Johny Come Lately on pesky little things like FACTS, suddenly wants to be chummy with the immoral cootie spreading BBQers by having a "debate".

But won't take on the heavyweights? Why Pope? What is your daddy afraid of? He's on your side, isn't he?

I can assure you Mr Penis hat wearing "Pay no attention to the priest and child in the confessional" that unlike you, Hitchens and Dawkins dont cover anything up. Nor would they kill you because you make bullshit claims.

You are merely frightened that what you believe is wrong. If proving that the atheist is wrong is your goal, why not try to knock off the heavyweights in debate?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Brian, that link was

Hey Brian, that link was truncated - had "..." at the end - so I fixed it for you.

So atheists with "high public profiles such as Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens will not be invited."

Wimp. Pussy. Doesn't want anyone with solid reputations and proven ability to attack Thiest arguments to come along to his little meeting.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Intelectual? What's that?

Intelectual? What's that?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
BobSpence1 wrote:Hey Brian,

BobSpence1 wrote:

Hey Brian, that link was truncated - had "..." at the end - so I fixed it for you.

So atheists with "high public profiles such as Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens will not be invited."

Wimp. Pussy. Doesn't want anyone with solid reputations and proven ability to attack Thiest arguments to come along to his little meeting.

Richard wouldn't take the invite even if offered. But he has a valid reason although Hitchens would take the invite. Dawkins won't debate, not that he is afraid, but what, to him, would be the point in debating the existence of Santa.

Hitchens would because, and I agree with him moreso than Dawkins, that it has to be done, not because Santa is a valid position to take, but because people do go around claiming absurdities.

In either case the Pope isn't looking for a debate, he is looking for marketing to prop up his myth. Set up a laymen atheist or plant and "poof" lend the appearance that your arguments are valid.

AND AGAIN to believers and Catholics in particular my blasphemy towards the Pope is not out of hate for all religious people. Just his refusal to take on well armed(intellectually) atheists. What the Pope wants would be much like putting a midget in the ring with Tyson. It is nothing but an illusion much like pro wrestling has a script.

The Pope has no interest in a real debate with well armed counterparts. It would destroy his man behind the curtain. If he is truly unafraid of atheists then he should take Jefferson's approach and face the challenge without fear and "QUESTION WITH BOLDNESS EVEN THE EXISTENCE OF A GOD"

But that would require the Pope to take on heavyweights which Jefferson would not fear. The Pope is an intellectual coward. Jefferson WOULD take on Hitchens and Dawkins without fear, and Jefferson did believe in god.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

pnkpoppop
pnkpoppop's picture
User is offlineOffline
Too bad really that it

Too bad really that it doesn´t say how you can sign up..... I am close enough to Paris Combine some serious shopping with an afternoon of debating a bunch of dresswearing kiddie fiddlers ..... sounds like a weekend well/spend

Entia Non Sunt Multiplicanda Praeter Necessitatem - W. Ockham

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I would guess that this

I would guess that this comment would exclude Brian Sapient and just about all of us as well.

Article wrote:
He said that "polemic" non-believers like Piergiorgio Odifreddi, Michel Onfray, Richard Dawkins, and Christopher Hitchens would not be invited. He added that those kind of atheists meet the truth with "irony and sarcasm."

Certainly it would mean that Brian37 wouldn't be welcome as he'd probably ask the pope questions that might be slightly sarcastic.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote: I

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
I would guess that this comment would exclude Brian Sapient and just about all of us as well.

Article wrote:
He said that "polemic" non-believers like Piergiorgio Odifreddi, Michel Onfray, Richard Dawkins, and Christopher Hitchens would not be invited. He added that those kind of atheists meet the truth with "irony and sarcasm."

Certainly it would mean that Brian37 wouldn't be welcome as he'd probably ask the pope questions that might be slightly sarcastic.

replace "irony and sarcasm" with apathy and cynicism and it would bar me from ever participating.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Inver Stone
Inver Stone's picture
User is offlineOffline
The pope...

...is a god soaked idiot.

This is interesting...last night I just watched the Christopher Hitchens/Stephen Frye vs Anne Widdecombe (and some hapless Nigerian archbishop whose name I forget) debate.  Hitch wiped the floor with them, especially regarding the whole "condoms are evil but so is abortion" thing.

My thinking is that unless the catholic papacy is willing to debate their most prolific opponents, they look like cowards, and already indicate they have no confidence in their position.  Hopefully the debates will still be entertaining as opposed to meaningless.

Inver

Time and I against any other two. - Beltazar Gracian
Beware the fury of a patient man. - John Dryden
It requires ages to destroy a popular opinion. - Voltaire
There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world: and that is an idea whose time has come. - V. Hugo
When in doubt, squat and run hills. - Jim Wendler