The Bible - The inspired Word of God

Redsky
Redsky's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Bible - The inspired Word of God

I've been a Christian for 20 years and walk and talk with The Lord Jesus Christ. The church teaches that the Bible is the inspired word of God, flawless and without contradiction even though Jesus overturned many of the old testament teachings during His ministry.

What do you think? Is the Bible the inspired word of God? Is it perfect and flawless without contradiction? I will defend The Word Of God with great enthusiasm and I will glady answer any questions on so called Bible contradictions and be rest assured, Jesus Christ will still be Lord.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hesed wrote:It is rare when

Hesed wrote:

It is rare when one man dies for another, and when they do they have a very good reason (Acts 7).

Ah, another point from Paul's religion that Jesus of Nazareth would be offended by. The pagan idea of the dying and resurrected savior god.

Remember this was written after Paul finished his writings.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
One dying for another ...

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

It is rare when one man dies for another, and when they do they have a very good reason (Acts 7).

If I could save the lives of every person on the planet for all time with my own death I'd go ahead and die. So would you. This self sacrifice is a reflection of human values. It has nothing to do with the likely actions of a universe creating deity.

God can't die in any case, so there's no great merit in his pretending that he did.

My context was Stephen paying the ultimate price telling the Jews that "they missed it".  Why would he do that knowing fully that they didn't take blasphemy lightly?  Was it a death wish of his?  Maybe his psychological makeup was askew?  From the Acts record, it doesn't seem to indicate that.  He was motivated by something else.  His words are direct in Acts 7, and accusatory, and yet, imo, full of compassion and zealousness to break through the barriers of those listening and point them to something he held true.

I have a family and can partially identify with such an action as it is my compassion to protect my family at all costs - they're worth it.   I see compassion in your statement, and you're right - I would.  Just had a flashback of StarTrek 2 where Spock felt it necessary to sacrifice his life to save the crew of the Enterprise, "the good of the many outweighs the good of the few, or the one."  I apologize for using an offbeat reference, but it shows that the 'idea' of such an act resonates in society.  How many wars have been fought were men have risked their very being that another can be saved from certain death.  The 'human' value I believe is "compassion".  Compassion has undertones of commiseration, mercy, tenderness, heart, and clemency.

If there was a God, I would prefer that He have the character that included those qualities instead of being some kill-joy ogre that always gets His way.  And, in reference to my "ogre" statement, I would also prefer that He have absolute sovereignty meaning that He can do what He wants, but He would limit Himself and not go outside His character.  He would also have a standard.  IMO, this nonsence of "anything goes" (at least in the society of the US) is terrible.  I rejoiced seeing the news announcing that Amber who had been abducted was now found!  I don't want to sound like a bleeding heart, but 'good', when it happens, is great!  Evil, when it  happens, is terrible.

In regard to your last statement, "God can't die in any case, so there's no great merit in his pretending that he did", I want to address that at a later point in time.

Is that you in the profile picture you use in this forum?

Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hesed wrote:Atheistextremist

Hesed wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

If I could save the lives of every person on the planet for all time with my own death I'd go ahead and die. So would you. This self sacrifice is a reflection of human values. It has nothing to do with the likely actions of a universe creating deity.

God can't die in any case, so there's no great merit in his pretending that he did.

My context was Stephen paying the ultimate price telling the Jews that "they missed it".  Why would he do that knowing fully that they didn't take blasphemy lightly?  Was it a death wish of his?  Maybe his psychological makeup was askew?  From the Acts record, it doesn't seem to indicate that.  He was motivated by something else.  His words are direct in Acts 7, and accusatory, and yet, imo, full of compassion and zealousness to break through the barriers of those listening and point them to something he held true.

I have a family and can partially identify with such an action as it is my compassion to protect my family at all costs - they're worth it.   I see compassion in your statement, and you're right - I would.  Just had a flashback of StarTrek 2 where Spock felt it necessary to sacrifice his life to save the crew of the Enterprise, "the good of the many outweighs the good of the few, or the one."  I apologize for using an offbeat reference, but it shows that the 'idea' of such an act resonates in society.  How many wars have been fought were men have risked their very being that another can be saved from certain death.  The 'human' value I believe is "compassion".  Compassion has undertones of commiseration, mercy, tenderness, heart, and clemency.

If there was a God, I would prefer that He have the character that included those qualities instead of being some kill-joy ogre that always gets His way.  And, in reference to my "ogre" statement, I would also prefer that He have absolute sovereignty meaning that He can do what He wants, but He would limit Himself and not go outside His character.  He would also have a standard.  IMO, this nonsence of "anything goes" (at least in the society of the US) is terrible.  I rejoiced seeing the news announcing that Amber who had been abducted was now found!  I don't want to sound like a bleeding heart, but 'good', when it happens, is great!  Evil, when it  happens, is terrible.

In regard to your last statement, "God can't die in any case, so there's no great merit in his pretending that he did", I want to address that at a later point in time.

If the writers had put the words "I believe jesus was the Messiah" in Stephen's mouth, it wouldn't have been effective. The Jewish political machine really had no problem with the Jesus movement (the Jerusalem church were observant Jews). The Pharisees would have posed no objection at all as Jesus espoused Pharisaic teaching.

They were trying to sell Paul's new religion.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hesed wrote:Is that you in

Hesed wrote:

Yes regarding Ae and his balaclava style head gear , I believe the rumor is that Atheistextremist was a former member of the militant IRA but they kicked him out when the Catholic membership discovered that he was actually an atheist...          

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ae

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Hesed wrote:

Yes regarding Ae and his balaclava style head gear , I believe the rumor is that Atheistextremist was a former member of the militant IRA but they kicked him out when the Catholic membership discovered that he was actually an atheist...          

Thanks for sharing that - Funny! 

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Genesis and beyond!

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

I understand you completely.  I would like to put a wee 'control' on this discussion - I would like limit our responses to topics and the topic I would like to begin with actually starts in the Hebrew Bible in the book of beginnings: Genesis.  However, before we start I need to know if you assign the same skepticism about the OT as you have mentioned here with the NT in regard to Jesus Christ.  The Hebrew Bible, too, is a religious book embraced by Judaism as well as Christianity.  If we throw out both - there isn't much to talk about imo <smile>.  I'd like to view these books at face value.

It depends which parts you are talking about, Hesed. There's the Jewish history and there's the Babylonian flood mythology and the private discussion with bushfires and roiling fogs. It's not easy to unravel which is real and which is fable. There's also the golden calf. Who would believe the Jews couldn't be left alone at a BBQ without melting down the tableware in order to worship livestock? Today 3000-odd years later their interest in such creatures remains purely culinary.

No doubt this story reflects a priesthood cross at having to compete with the local pantheon but it's irritating to have to read about it. 

In any case, I'm happy to talk more about this. It's always instructive, one way or another. Genesis is a dangerous place to start a rational discussion, of course. Face value, when it comes to the vagaries of religion and history is a many faceted thing.

Ae, yes Genesis is a dangerous place to start.  Intelligent design versus well, whatever.  I wasn't there at the beginning.  Macro evolution is too hard a pill to swallow.  Looks to me that something had a hand in where we have come.  Anyway, didn't really want to go there.  First time I read this book I read it at face value wondering what the big deal was.  And I ran into my first encounter with 'creation' by design.  The beginnings of man (man meaning both man and woman), some do's, and one don't, and the consequence of ignoring the don't. 

I'm reminded of the times when raising my kids and telling them don't, then watching them do the very thing I told them to avoid (all the time they're looking back at me to see if I was serious) - so funny!  The rule I as a parent want to enforce did not have the motive of being a killjoy, it had the motive of protection.  Of course, when the rule was broken there would be a consequence.  The consequence included a show of displeasure, words explaining why, and a hug at the end to show that my displeasure wasn't everlasting. 

Why am I rambling?  Well, the question I had then was, "Is there a law, is it relevant, and is there a good reason to follow it?"  I asked myself, well, creating laws for the sake of control is something that hasn't worked, ever.  So, we have the first don't recorded in Genesis, it was disobeyed and there was a consequence that you and I really can't identify.  What was described as 'good' became pain for mankind.  They got to live a very long time (good DNA) to experience that pain.  We have our first recorded murder.  Mankind has spread out and doing as it wills.  Doesn't seem so far fetched from today's world. 

Yet, societies have attempted to design a system of law that makes the assumption that if the law is broken the act is assigned as 'not good' and there's a penalty.  I am not willing to include laws created by other cultures in this discussion as there is the chance of contradiction.  For instance, if we were to apply the Sharia method of law and include it within the boundaries of US law - can you imagine!  So, I'd like to stay within the US boundary.  And the law of the land, did we make it up or is it based on some model?

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm good with all you said

Hesed wrote:

But did want to turn this point over in my hands a little. What interests me with this sacrificial lamb point is that god displays such fundamental human qualities. When I think of a universe creating entity or event, I don't think of a man in a loin cloth but perhaps a collision between a pair of super mega universes. Of course if I were trying instill the god I invented with the best quality of terrestrial bipeds, then self sacrifice for the group would probably be the quality I would plug in.

I was interested to read in a local paper that in some dull, annual poll, firemen were voted the most trusted members of society for the 30th year running. These are men who risk their lives for our families and our society and we revere them for it. For this reason and others I think personal sacrifice for human beings is our thing. Immortal deities can't die, even if we contrive human bodies for them to die with. The god disconnect on the cross? Mmmmm. Not if jesus was god. Not unless the tripartate was having trouble with its collective corpus collosum.

I am also thinking a lot about sin lately and wondering how many truly evil people I know (none) and thinking how strange it is we mostly all get on. I increasingkly think sin is a vast adhom, a lie that is designed to cut the ground from under legitimate human questioning of a deity. A lie designed to amplify normal human mistakes and social failings. The whole garden of eden is hardly responsible parenting. There is no encouragement in it. We have no way of improving or learning we just have to accept we are shit and beg for forgiveness. It's a weird doctrine.

I'm just rambling here. It's after midnight. On the issue of standards, I wonder about intervention in a way that could improve the world. If god appeared in some way and turned the sun off for a couple of hours - completely off. And then said boomingly: "If you kids can't share your blocks I'm turning the light off for good" that would be useful. The bible's teaching shows god to be more like the bully father who comes home from the pub and beats you senseless for failing a test instead of giving up his free time to help you get a pass.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paul

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

If the writers had put the words "I believe jesus was the Messiah" in Stephen's mouth, it wouldn't have been effective. The Jewish political machine really had no problem with the Jesus movement (the Jerusalem church were observant Jews). The Pharisees would have posed no objection at all as Jesus espoused Pharisaic teaching.

Right, so Stephen was convinced, as was Saul (who became Paul following his conversion).  This same Saul is recorded as being present at the stoning of Stephen.  This same Saul that was there 'approving' of Stephen's death (Acts 8:1).  This same Saul whose goal in life was to foster the destruction of those believing in this "Christ."  Who openly voiced death threats against, who also carried letters from the Jewish High Priest authorizing him to imprison believers.  As with Stephen, what got hold of Saul that would turn his life around a full 180 degrees and do the exact opposite.  He was a very smart man, educated in Judaism and a Pharisee whose zeal for the Law of Moses was unmatched.  Why change?  For him, he had it all.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Source of morality

Hesed wrote:

I'm reminded of the times when raising my kids and telling them don't, then watching them do the very thing I told them to avoid (all the time they're looking back at me to see if I was serious) - so funny!  The rule I as a parent want to enforce did not have the motive of being a killjoy, it had the motive of protection.  Of course, when the rule was broken there would be a consequence.  The consequence included a show of displeasure, words explaining why, and a hug at the end to show that my displeasure wasn't everlasting. 

Why am I rambling?  Well, the question I had then was, "Is there a law, is it relevant, and is there a good reason to follow it?"  I asked myself, well, creating laws for the sake of control is something that hasn't worked, ever.  So, we have the first don't recorded in Genesis, it was disobeyed and there was a consequence that you and I really can't identify.  What was described as 'good' became pain for mankind.  They got to live a very long time (good DNA) to experience that pain.  We have our first recorded murder.  Mankind has spread out and doing as it wills.  Doesn't seem so far fetched from today's world. 

Yet, societies have attempted to design a system of law that makes the assumption that if the law is broken the act is assigned as 'not good' and there's a penalty.  I am not willing to include laws created by other cultures in this discussion as there is the chance of contradiction.  For instance, if we were to apply the Sharia method of law and include it within the boundaries of US law - can you imagine!  So, I'd like to stay within the US boundary.  And the law of the land, did we make it up or is it based on some model?

I was thinking about morality today and spent the night discussing it with my missionary mother while we watched Singing in the Rain. Another wild night in my life. I pulled up the paragraphs above because of the kids thing. Would you agree kids don't come out of the womb with a set of moral codes instilled in their brains? I am going to say, you agree. Next, I wonder where children get their morals from. I think we would agree they get those morals from their parents, then from school teachers, friends, and from other role models in their lives. As part of the process they develop feelings and ego. And when they fail, they develop empathy. Humans are complex beasts, I agree with you there. But I think morality is another human thing. It's cultural - a hand-me-down set of social rules so fundamental we can barely see around the sides of it. These are our rules. There is no cosmic deity involved in them and why should their be?

There's a part of Potok's The Chosen where a clever young man with future social responsibility finds, after the event, that his father's refusal to talk to him through his formative years was deliberate. A way to hurt the young man so he could feel the pain of other people and better understand them. I think this applies widely. I have had my wallet stolen and I know how it feels. I have had my car broken into and I know how it feels. I have been bullied and physically abused and I know how it feels. Those things that have been perpetrated against me I could never do to another person.

It's not called a moral code. It's called a life.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:Hesed

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

I am also thinking a lot about sin lately and wondering how many truly evil people I know (none) and thinking how strange it is we mostly all get on. I increasingkly think sin is a vast adhom, a lie that is designed to cut the ground from under legitimate human questioning of a deity. A lie designed to amplify normal human mistakes and social failings. The whole garden of eden is hardly responsible parenting. There is no encouragement in it. We have no way of improving or learning we just have to accept we are shit and beg for forgiveness. It's a weird doctrine.

I'm just rambling here. It's after midnight. On the issue of standards, I wonder about intervention in a way that could improve the world. If god appeared in some way and turned the sun off for a couple of hours - completely off. And then said boomingly: "If you kids can't share your blocks I'm turning the light off for good" that would be useful. The bible's teaching shows god to be more like the bully father who comes home from the pub and beats you senseless for failing a test instead of giving up his free time to help you get a pass.

I don't know, personally, and truly evil people:  but I could name a few - I think you can as well.  Sin, for me, even as a child, has been couched in terms of 'an affront to God and His Law (read decalogue)'.  If one doesn't recognize there is a creator, then anything recorded as being a test for morality is mute.  No God, no Law, no Law, no sin.  So, when I talk about sin I'm including a 'standard' by which to measure it.  Some are pretty straight forward: Honor mom & dad, Do not murder, no adultery, no stealing, no lying, and no coveting.  The other four need further inspection, but I'm not going to address that right now.  I don't personally see anything wrong with accepting those six - they're good and decent - they address integrity and honesty - who wouldn't want that.  But with all that, we do fail and can't seem to measure up to them.  I really don't think that God put these laws into affect to set us up for failure.  These laws are expectations - right living. 

I find your comment about 'responsible parenting' in the garden funny.  The two got caught and they tried to blame something else.  Isn't that so true today?!  I've done it, I'm sure most everyone else has to.  Far be it for me to implicate myself in a matter; however, when the truth be known I could have done something better like admit my failings.

"We have no way of improving or learning", do you really believe that?  We have so many choices and from what I see, you're a smart person.  I'm thinking you're a college grad, am I right?  If so, is that not improvement?  Did you not learn?  I've heard that humans will never reach a point where their brain will be full... I'd say we have plenty of room to improve/learn.  You mentioned that at the onset of this discussion.

"We just have to accept we are shit and beg for forgiveness."  When I read this, I sensed pain and lack of self-worth.  Maybe I'm wrong, if so I apologize for my analysis and withdraw it.  If we are 'created', then we have 'worth'.  Christian doctrine says (and Judaism follows suit), that our 'righteousness' is as filthy as rags" (Isaiah 64:6).  Meaning that whatever holiness I can subscribe to myself (because I always do the right thing [suspect analysis of self here], I'm better than you are, I deserve, and I am allowed to sit with God.  Scripture also says, "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all" (James 2:10).  I don't know about you, those 10 are hard to keep; however, it does not degrade my worth.  All it really means (if I recognize there is a creator and He has a law that I must abide) is that I need to say 'sorry' and do a 180.  Sin in the Bible is likened to turning your back toward that which has declared what is good - that's all.

"The bible's teaching shows god to be more like the bully father who comes home from the pub and beats you senseless for failing a test instead of giving up his free time to help you get a pass."  Reading the OT, it would appear that God has the character of an  ogre, at times:  I agree.  If there is a God Ae, would't it be a good thing  to also ascribe to Him 'sovereignty"?  Also believe that He is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent?  Omniscient, because He should know everything, then, now, and forever.  Omnipotent, because He should be able to do anything, even create something He can't affect.  Omnipresent, because He should be available everywhere, everyday, every hour, every minute, and every second.  You have mentioned things that have happened to you.  Things, too, have happened to me, some of which were not my choice.  The question for me was, why did it happen.  Why was I raised in a home ruled by alcoholics?  Our lives are not perfect and this world we live in is not perfect.  The Bible claims there is a reason: sin.  The Bible also claims there is a solution.

I really appreciate you talking with me.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hesed wrote:jcgadfly

Hesed wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

Right, so Stephen was convinced, as was Saul (who became Paul following his conversion).  This same Saul is recorded as being present at the stoning of Stephen.  This same Saul that was there 'approving' of Stephen's death (Acts 8:1).  This same Saul whose goal in life was to foster the destruction of those believing in this "Christ."  Who openly voiced death threats against, who also carried letters from the Jewish High Priest authorizing him to imprison believers.  As with Stephen, what got hold of Saul that would turn his life around a full 180 degrees and do the exact opposite.  He was a very smart man, educated in Judaism and a Pharisee whose zeal for the Law of Moses was unmatched.  Why change?  For him, he had it all.

Or the writer of Acts needed to interject Paul into the scene somewhere because of Paul creation of the departure from Judaism called Christianity. If Stephen was a part of the Jesus movement, the Jews would have had no problem with him as he and the "Jerusalem Church" were observant Jews. The Pharisees, who the Gospel writers tried to make out as evil actually agreed with Jesus teachings. They had to bring Paul in somewhere so they could introduce his Torah canceling, pagan mystery cult.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, Paul likely wasn't a Pharisee (no Pharisee would work for the Sadducee High Priest) and only had a passable education in Judaism. Look at other sources besides those that make Paul look like a superbeing.

— George Carlin

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Made a boo-boo and don't know how to delete a comment.

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Moral Code

Atheistextremist wrote:

Would you agree kids don't come out of the womb with a set of moral codes instilled in their brains? I am going to say, you agree. Next, I wonder where children get their morals from. I think we would agree they get those morals from their parents, then from school teachers, friends, and from other role models in their lives. As part of the process they develop feelings and ego. And when they fail, they develop empathy. Humans are complex beasts, I agree with you there. But I think morality is another human thing. It's cultural - a hand-me-down set of social rules so fundamental we can barely see around the sides of it. These are our rules. There is no cosmic deity involved in them and why should their be?

Would I agree that kids don't come out of the womb with a set of moral codes...?  Yes!  I also agree that parents, teachers, and society can have an impact on what moral choices they make in the future.  If we take this to what I would term a logical reversal, since we're not born with a moral code, we're apt to make mistakes right away (unless a supposed moral code is different for everyone).  Are you suggesting that this moral code was passed down through the ages?  If so, I'm also assuming that you are suggesting that this moral code, albeit never perfect, has been built upon through the ages and continues to evolve.  This brings up the question, "Where did the first man/woman get their moral code?"

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hi Hesed

Hesed wrote:

I don't know, personally, and truly evil people:  but I could name a few - I think you can as well.  Sin, for me, even as a child, has been couched in terms of 'an affront to God and His Law (read decalogue)'.  If one doesn't recognize there is a creator, then anything recorded as being a test for morality is mute.  No God, no Law, no Law, no sin.  So, when I talk about sin I'm including a 'standard' by which to measure it.  Some are pretty straight forward: Honor mom & dad, Do not murder, no adultery, no stealing, no lying, and no coveting.  The other four need further inspection, but I'm not going to address that right now.  I don't personally see anything wrong with accepting those six - they're good and decent - they address integrity and honesty - who wouldn't want that.  But with all that, we do fail and can't seem to measure up to them.  I really don't think that God put these laws into affect to set us up for failure.  These laws are expectations - right living. 

I find your comment about 'responsible parenting' in the garden funny.  The two got caught and they tried to blame something else.  Isn't that so true today?!  I've done it, I'm sure most everyone else has to.  Far be it for me to implicate myself in a matter; however, when the truth be known I could have done something better like admit my failings.

"We have no way of improving or learning", do you really believe that?  We have so many choices and from what I see, you're a smart person.  I'm thinking you're a college grad, am I right?  If so, is that not improvement?  Did you not learn?  I've heard that humans will never reach a point where their brain will be full... I'd say we have plenty of room to improve/learn.  You mentioned that at the onset of this discussion.

"We just have to accept we are shit and beg for forgiveness."  When I read this, I sensed pain and lack of self-worth.  Maybe I'm wrong, if so I apologize for my analysis and withdraw it.  If we are 'created', then we have 'worth'.  Christian doctrine says (and Judaism follows suit), that our 'righteousness' is as filthy as rags" (Isaiah 64:6).  Meaning that whatever holiness I can subscribe to myself (because I always do the right thing [suspect analysis of self here], I'm better than you are, I deserve, and I am allowed to sit with God.  Scripture also says, "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all" (James 2:10).  I don't know about you, those 10 are hard to keep; however, it does not degrade my worth.  All it really means (if I recognize there is a creator and He has a law that I must abide) is that I need to say 'sorry' and do a 180.  Sin in the Bible is likened to turning your back toward that which has declared what is good - that's all.

"The bible's teaching shows god to be more like the bully father who comes home from the pub and beats you senseless for failing a test instead of giving up his free time to help you get a pass."  Reading the OT, it would appear that God has the character of an  ogre, at times:  I agree.  If there is a God Ae, would't it be a good thing  to also ascribe to Him 'sovereignty"?  Also believe that He is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent?  Omniscient, because He should know everything, then, now, and forever.  Omnipotent, because He should be able to do anything, even create something He can't affect.  Omnipresent, because He should be available everywhere, everyday, every hour, every minute, and every second.  You have mentioned things that have happened to you.  Things, too, have happened to me, some of which were not my choice.  The question for me was, why did it happen.  Why was I raised in a home ruled by alcoholics?  Our lives are not perfect and this world we live in is not perfect.  The Bible claims there is a reason: sin.  The Bible also claims there is a solution.

I fall over on the no god, no laws assumption. I think god has nothing to do with human laws. I don't think there is a god but we have laws. I admit god was drummed into me as a kid but the world makes more sense without a god in it. Do you really think if there was no god the world would be like Lord of the Flies? How would this benefit the human race? It would be a disaster for all of us. The ten commandments - I can't help thinking these are simply the thoughts of a person with post conventional moral convictions. What are the primary crimes? Stealing, lying, mudering, wanting someone else's new car (coveting is a dumb commandment in my book - it eliminates all advertising, ever), adultery. Honouring your parents? Well that's not always the right way forward. These are not the rules of an awesome deity. They are basic human rules some one could have invented as part of a missive for their Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award. 

Look - with the parenting thing, god says that because some ancient people ate a magic pear, now I must be tormented for all eternity. I don't need to tell you how bad a parenting exercise that is. It's ridiculous. I wasn't even there. It's a rank injustice. And the crime is stupid, too. The whole story doesn't make good sense. The first immoral thing the couple realised in the garden was that they had no clothes on? That's just too silly for words. Why would a married couple think twice about being naked in each other's company? I'm not even going to get into talking parsel tongue with beelzebub's pet anaconda who wound up in the garden because god allowed him to be there (despite the risk of contaminating his newly created ken and barbie). And if god really was mighty he would have known that special effects aren't everything. He would have paid for a quality script.

Hesed, to me, the core doctrine of christianity is the need to accept that you were born into sin, that you deserve to die, and to beg jesus to forgive you for your terrible sins, including wanking in the shower, stealing dad's barley sugar and perving on Miss Buck at Everyboy's Rally. Most our crimes are pathetic. They don't deserve any punishment at all. Perhaps some sensible direction and proper leadership might help, though. The fact our righteousness is as rags does not make me want to know my manufacturer any better. I am being blamed for bugs in the firmware. The freewill thing is always going to be strained through the seive of our core natures. I did not make my nature. Nor was my nature created in the garden of eden. 

Sin. I just think there are bad things that happen and you work through them. For me a fundamentalist religious upbringing was one of those bad things. It was an upbringing that severely undermined my sense of self worth as a fairly rational individual with a sense of justice and a slight lack of spiritual imagination. I don't believe in ghosts or gods, or demons or spirits or heaven. As a young person this inability to completely 'buy' the invisible spirit world was a great trial to me. But I am now sure this is not a sin. This is not evil. It's just plain old intellectual honesty. Anything else would be me lying to myself because I was afraid of missing out on the rapture.

You're obviously a good person, Hesed. I hope you can excuse my underlaying cynicism about this. It's a product of being a preacher's son and too much singing from the Keswick Hymnbook. I simply think it's possible, nay preferable, to be a good person without wearing the mental garb of christianity. The personal integrity is the same, the feelings are the same. The humanity is the same. The love for others is the same. The only difference is that it comes without an agenda.

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

I fall over on the no god, no laws assumption. I think god has nothing to do with human laws. I don't think there is a god but we have laws. I admit god was drummed into me as a kid but the world makes more sense without a god in it. Do you really think if there was no god the world would be like Lord of the Flies? How would this benefit the human race? It would be a disaster for all of us. The ten commandments - I can't help thinking these are simply the thoughts of a person with post conventional moral convictions. What are the primary crimes? Stealing, lying, mudering, wanting someone else's new car (coveting is a dumb commandment in my book - it eliminates all advertising, ever), adultery. Honouring your parents? Well that's not always the right way forward. These are not the rules of an awesome deity. They are basic human rules some one could have invented as part of a missive for their Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award. 

Look - with the parenting thing, god says that because some ancient people ate a magic pear, now I must be tormented for all eternity. I don't need to tell you how bad a parenting exercise that is. It's ridiculous. I wasn't even there. It's a rank injustice. And the crime is stupid, too. The whole story doesn't make good sense. The first immoral thing the couple realised in the garden was that they had no clothes on? That's just too silly for words. Why would a married couple think twice about being naked in each other's company? I'm not even going to get into talking parsel tongue with beelzebub's pet anaconda who wound up in the garden because god allowed him to be there (despite the risk of contaminating his newly created ken and barbie). And if god really was mighty he would have known that special effects aren't everything. He would have paid for a quality script.

Hesed, to me, the core doctrine of christianity is the need to accept that you were born into sin, that you deserve to die, and to beg jesus to forgive you for your terrible sins, including wanking in the shower, stealing dad's barley sugar and perving on Miss Buck at Everyboy's Rally. Most our crimes are pathetic. They don't deserve any punishment at all. Perhaps some sensible direction and proper leadership might help, though. The fact our righteousness is as rags does not make me want to know my manufacturer any better. I am being blamed for bugs in the firmware. The freewill thing is always going to be strained through the seive of our core natures. I did not make my nature. Nor was my nature created in the garden of eden. 

Sin. I just think there are bad things that happen and you work through them. For me a fundamentalist religious upbringing was one of those bad things. It was an upbringing that severely undermined my sense of self worth as a fairly rational individual with a sense of justice and a slight lack of spiritual imagination. I don't believe in ghosts or gods, or demons or spirits or heaven. As a young person this inability to completely 'buy' the invisible spirit world was a great trial to me. But I am now sure this is not a sin. This is not evil. It's just plain old intellectual honesty. Anything else would be me lying to myself because I was afraid of missing out on the rapture.

You're obviously a good person, Hesed. I hope you can excuse my underlaying cynicism about this. It's a product of being a preacher's son and too much singing from the Keswick Hymnbook. I simply think it's possible, nay preferable, to be a good person without wearing the mental garb of christianity. The personal integrity is the same, the feelings are the same. The humanity is the same. The love for others is the same. The only difference is that it comes without an agenda.

A sidenote: I see you're British (what flavor?)  I have Irish roots.

You said, "funadmentalist religious upbringing."  I'm thinking here that your upbringing included what I term "harsh legalism", i.e., you can't be holy if you participate in the world.  Am I right?

You said, "As a young person this inability to completely 'buy' the invisible spirit world was a great trial to me. But I am now sure this is not a sin."  It's not, are you referring to Matthew 12:31,32?  Faith is well-defined in Hebrews 11:1.  There's nothing super-human about it, it's merely a state of "I'm convinced." I believe there is good, and I believe there is evil (which includes a spirit realm we cannot see).

You said, "coveting is a dumb commandment".  In the Bible, coveting is there as a 'faith/dependence' issue.  If I truly believed in God and He is my help, why would I covet something else when He owns all of it.  Better to depend on Him than spend my time figuring out how I can get my neighbors property.

You said, "The first immoral thing the couple realised in the garden was that they had no clothes on?"  It wasn't 'immoral'.  They were naked prior to that and lived with no shame or fear.  No, I’m not condoning nudist colonies! <smile> The Bible says, they realized this because they ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  They covered themselves (shame) and hid (fear):  they knew they disobeyed.  I didn't bring this up for discussion sake, just wanted to make a small correction.

You said, "because some ancient people ate a magic pear, now I must be tormented for all eternity. I don't need to tell you how bad a parenting exercise that is. It's ridiculous. I wasn't even there. It's a rank injustice."  I agree with most of what you said, i.e., it's ridiculous and a rank injustice that I have this imputed to me.  Job (31:33) and Hosea (6:7) talk about it. It is unfair; however, if I am to accept the collection of scrolls and letters contained in the Bible, then it makes sense.  We are left in Genesis 3 with what the effects of that sin (imputed to the earth and man).  What was perfect became imperfect.  I'm not preaching at you, just recounting.  And, again, if one places themselves under the auspices of Scripture contained in the Bible, then one must then accept what it says. The NT supplies a solution for the sin of Adam.

You said, “You're obviously a good person, Hesed. I hope you can excuse my underlaying cynicism about this. It's a product of being a preacher's son and too much singing from the Keswick Hymnbook.” Good, yes, in human terms; however, I acknowledge that I’m not perfect and I am a work in progress and believe that I’ll never measure up to the model the Bible lays out in 1 Corinthians 13:1-8a. I don’t mind your cynicism, I enjoy your humor, and I am enjoying our discussion. I hope the feeling is mutual.

Question: Is the Bible authentic or it is just a collection of writings from individuals marketing falsehood?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hesed wrote:Atheistextremist

Hesed wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

You said, "funadmentalist religious upbringing."  I'm thinking here that your upbringing included what I term "harsh legalism", i.e., you can't be holy if you participate in the world.  Am I right?

You said, "As a young person this inability to completely 'buy' the invisible spirit world was a great trial to me. But I am now sure this is not a sin."  It's not, are you referring to Matthew 12:31,32?  Faith is well-defined in Hebrews 11:1.  There's nothing super-human about it, it's merely a state of "I'm convinced." I believe there is good, and I believe there is evil (which includes a spirit realm we cannot see).

You said, "coveting is a dumb commandment".  In the Bible, coveting is there as a 'faith/dependence' issue.  If I truly believed in God and He is my help, why would I covet something else when He owns all of it.  Better to depend on Him than spend my time figuring out how I can get my neighbors property.

You said, "The first immoral thing the couple realised in the garden was that they had no clothes on?"  It wasn't 'immoral'.  They were naked prior to that and lived with no shame or fear.  No, I’m not condoning nudist colonies! <smile> The Bible says, they realized this because they ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  They covered themselves (shame) and hid (fear):  they knew they disobeyed.  I didn't bring this up for discussion sake, just wanted to make a small correction.

You said, "because some ancient people ate a magic pear, now I must be tormented for all eternity. I don't need to tell you how bad a parenting exercise that is. It's ridiculous. I wasn't even there. It's a rank injustice."  I agree with most of what you said, i.e., it's ridiculous and a rank injustice that I have this imputed to me.  Job (31:33) and Hosea (6:7) talk about it. It is unfair; however, if I am to accept the collection of scrolls and letters contained in the Bible, then it makes sense.  We are left in Genesis 3 with what the effects of that sin (imputed to the earth and man).  What was perfect became imperfect.  I'm not preaching at you, just recounting.  And, again, if one places themselves under the auspices of Scripture contained in the Bible, then one must then accept what it says. The NT supplies a solution for the sin of Adam.

You said, “You're obviously a good person, Hesed. I hope you can excuse my underlaying cynicism about this. It's a product of being a preacher's son and too much singing from the Keswick Hymnbook.” Good, yes, in human terms; however, I acknowledge that I’m not perfect and I am a work in progress and believe that I’ll never measure up to the model the Bible lays out in 1 Corinthians 13:1-8a. I don’t mind your cynicism, I enjoy your humor, and I am enjoying our discussion. I hope the feeling is mutual.

Question: Is the Bible authentic or it is just a collection of writings from individuals marketing falsehood?

Authentic as in "it's a book that people wrote/compiled" - yep.

Are the characters in it real? Some may have had a real basis but then they god screwed into mythological characters.

Some of the Bible (the parts they stole from earlier legal codes) is pretty good. The "divine superbeings" part (particularly Paul's creation of Jesus as divinity) - not so much.

— George Carlin

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Biblical Characters Real?

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

Authentic as in "it's a book that people wrote/compiled" - yep.

Are the characters in it real? Some may have had a real basis but then they god screwed into mythological characters.

Some of the Bible (the parts they stole from earlier legal codes) is pretty good. The "divine superbeings" part (particularly Paul's creation of Jesus as divinity) - not so much.

I think you meant 'got' screwed.  Anyway, care to elaborate which ones?  I never heard that the creation of the Bible included 'stolen' text.  Care to elaborate on that as well?

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's the famous copy of

There's the famous copy of the story of Gilgamesh great flood. Of course biblical proponents have said that this story was not stolen, it's just the same event retold by different people, which only reinforces Biblical inerrancy.

I have a problem with the Bible too you see... and I'm not even an atheist. I just don't believe in inerrancy and in a God which orders genocide as in Kings book. 

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Errancy

Teralek wrote:

There's the famous copy of the story of Gilgamesh great flood. Of course biblical proponents have said that this story was not stolen, it's just the same event retold by different people, which only reinforces Biblical inerrancy.

I have a problem with the Bible too you see... and I'm not even an atheist. I just don't believe in inerrancy and in a God which orders genocide as in Kings book. 

I'm aware of the Gilgamesh story, as well as others.  Some would say these stories appear to corroborate and attest that there was a flood.  Never thought of the authors (in this case probably Moses) copying from other stories.  Would he had access to such information?

Question: If there is a God, should he be confined to a box?

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hesed wrote:I'm aware of the

Hesed wrote:
I'm aware of the Gilgamesh story, as well as others.  Some would say these stories appear to corroborate and attest that there was a flood.  Never thought of the authors (in this case probably Moses) copying from other stories.  Would he had access to such information?

Wait, you actually think Moses wrote those books?!

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote:Hesed wrote:I'm

KSMB wrote:

Hesed wrote:

<smile> I believe I used the word 'probably' which also conveys the meaning of 'not completely sure.'

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hi again, Hesed.

Hesed wrote:

Yes, it's always fun to thrash out the bible.

I'm Australian/NZ - ancestry is scots - my grandfather's name on my mother's side was William Wallace. Dad's side is McGregor, Cameron and what not. There will be Irish in there, too. The Irish and Scots have the sibling thing going, alternatively hugging and punching each other on the nose.

The godly upbringing was simpler than I think you are suggesting. Just typical evangelical presbyterian, replete with a lot of beatings interspersed with howling at the lord and eating honey and wasp sandwiches at a barrage of christian camps as young, gleaming white people earnestly strummed three chords and wailed insistently that they'd never say to a hooded, sun-glassed jesus: "I cannot come to the banquet, don't bother me now, I have got me a wife, I have married a cow. .."

On the topic of faith, the ability to say "I'm convinced" and then to suddenly be aware there is good and there is evil and there is a spirit world has badly sprained my prefrontal cortex. I think good and evil are complex states of mind relating to learned social behaviours that take a lifetime to get yourself around. I am still changing my mind now about behaviours I thought were okay when I was young. It's not god. Sometimes lessons in my life show me that the way I behave discounts others and I don't like feeling that. I think the burden varies. Many sweet people are born with qualities society calls good but these cheery folks are not right with the lord, they are simply lucky enough to be positive, caring, loving, gentle, good with kids and whatever other characteristics you care to plug in. It's the grumps who are hardly done by.

With the garden of eden, I still battle with being naked as the touchstone example of good and evil. It makes very little sense to me. Adam and Eve, having strolled about the garden eating whatever they liked and shagging on every mossy patch as the brooks bubbled away could have had no great sense of right and wrong. They had not lived, they had no associations, they had no possessions, they had learned no morality. They were children. Perhaps they deserved some form of correction. Eve, a spanking perhaps, with Adam forced to watch. In any case, to charge the whole of subsequent humanity for this 'crime' is just bizarre. Are you suggesting here you really believe the mythology of the garden? The 'stain' of Eve? This story is deeply flawed.

I think the bible is a collection of myths, history, wishful thinking, ancient 'science' and philosophy scrambled up with moral lessons and multiple cults. In some ways the bible is a history of middle eastern religion. It's a frankenstein monster of a thing with the jews' inherited philistine war god Yahweh being modified over time and a Judeo-Roman jesus-myth bolted onto it like a sort of supercharger. The similarities to older Egyptian gods are profound. The King of the gods, Amon-Re, Osiris the Creator, Horus, his virgin-born son. There are parallels with so many ancient middle eastern and Mediterranean religions. In fact it's so much a formula you'd be working hard not to see it.

Is the bible a deliberate falsehood? Probably not. But the threat built into it suggests layers of malicious intent. Believe my opinion or die. You are born evil. Don't think for yourself, just believe. Whichever way you slice it, the biblical god is definitely not love. And the faux sacrifice of the godlet jesus, who is immortal, doesn't make the overarching violence easier to swallow.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hesed wrote:KSMB wrote:Hesed

Hesed wrote:
KSMB wrote:
Hesed wrote:

<smile> I believe I used the word 'probably' which also conveys the meaning of 'not completely sure.'

That's a small fall forward I guess...

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote:Hesed wrote:KSMB

KSMB wrote:

Hesed wrote:
KSMB wrote:
Hesed wrote:

According to Jewish and therefore also Christian tradition, the Torah was written by Moses.  In the NT, Jesus Himself affirms Moses as the author of the Torah.  In Mark 7:10 Jesus quoted from both Exodus 20 and 21, attributing the words to Moses.  Later in the gospel of Mark, we read where Jesus asked the Sadducees, “"But regarding the fact that the dead rise again, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the burning bush ... ”.  But, perhaps the most convincing passage of all is found in John 5:46-47 where Jesus said: “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me."

As today, the concept of authorship included the possibilities of ghost writers and editors working under the author’s supervision. Therefore, neither Christians nor Jews had a problem with those passages of the Torah that describe Moses’ death and the ultimate disposition of his body.  Although it was obvious to people then as now that Moses could not have penned those sections, it did not impugn Moses’ authorship.  Even today, if an author dies after completing the bulk of a work and someone else finishes off the final chapter from the author’s notes and adds a few concluding comments about the death of the author, so I really don't have a problem attributing the whole work to the original author.  Can I be 100% sure, no.

Can anyone tell me what these points are that I am amassing in my profile here?

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
When you reach 10,000 points

Captain Pineapple will blow you a kiss....

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hesed wrote:KSMB wrote:Hesed

Hesed wrote:

KSMB wrote:

Hesed wrote:
KSMB wrote:
Hesed wrote:

According to Jewish and therefore also Christian tradition, the Torah was written by Moses.  In the NT, Jesus Himself affirms Moses as the author of the Torah.  In Mark 7:10 Jesus quoted from both Exodus 20 and 21, attributing the words to Moses.  Later in the gospel of Mark, we read where Jesus asked the Sadducees, “"But regarding the fact that the dead rise again, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the burning bush ... ”.  But, perhaps the most convincing passage of all is found in John 5:46-47 where Jesus said: “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me."

As today, the concept of authorship included the possibilities of ghost writers and editors working under the author’s supervision. Therefore, neither Christians nor Jews had a problem with those passages of the Torah that describe Moses’ death and the ultimate disposition of his body.  Although it was obvious to people then as now that Moses could not have penned those sections, it did not impugn Moses’ authorship.  Even today, if an author dies after completing the bulk of a work and someone else finishes off the final chapter from the author’s notes and adds a few concluding comments about the death of the author, so I really don't have a problem attributing the whole work to the original author.  Can I be 100% sure, no.

I'm going to try to combine your replies to me in this one.

Other texts that were stolen/borrowed for the Bible - the ten commandments (except for the paranoid Yahweh parts) were taken from legal codes that were old when the Hebrews were young. This is in addition to Gilgamesh and the Canaanite myths they (the OT authors) built from.

Now, the passages in the Gospels where the author put those words in Jesus mouth were written many years after Paul's body of work was written (the authors may well have had copies of Paul's work to build from). They had no idea whether Moses was talking about Jesus or not but they needed to form a connection between Judaism and Paul's new Torah canceling mystery religion of Christianity. Who better to lend credibility to the effort than Moses?

Again, "Messiah" does not imply divinity - It was a title used by all kings in the Davidic line.

— George Carlin

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mashiach

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

KSMB wrote:

Hesed wrote:
KSMB wrote:
Hesed wrote:

Other texts that were stolen/borrowed for the Bible - the ten commandments (except for the paranoid Yahweh parts) were taken from legal codes that were old when the Hebrews were young. This is in addition to Gilgamesh and the Canaanite myths they (the OT authors) built from.

Now, the passages in the Gospels where the author put those words in Jesus mouth were written many years after Paul's body of work was written (the authors may well have had copies of Paul's work to build from). They had no idea whether Moses was talking about Jesus or not but they needed to form a connection between Judaism and Paul's new Torah canceling mystery religion of Christianity. Who better to lend credibility to the effort than Moses?

Again, "Messiah" does not imply divinity - It was a title used by all kings in the Davidic line.

Yes, the word “Messiah” (mashiach) comes from the verb mashach, which means to smear or anoint with oil, usually for the purpose of dedicating or consecrating something (such as a temple vessel) or someone (such as a prophet, priest or king) for the service of Adonai.  The word Adonai is used as a substitute for the sacred Tetragrammaton; emphatic form of ’Adon (Isaiah 6:1). Occurs 300 times in the Tanakh. The first use appears in Genesis 15:2 where Abram addresses God as “Adonai YHVH.” Israel is still waiting for a mashiach, will he be a 'deliverer' (Daniel 7:13) such as David, from the Davidic line, or did he already come riding on the colt of a donkey (Zechariah 9:9)?

"Paul's new Torah canceling mystery religion", how did Paul cancel the Torah?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Hesed wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

KSMB wrote:

Hesed wrote:
KSMB wrote:
Hesed wrote:

Yes, the word “Messiah” (mashiach) comes from the verb mashach, which means to smear or anoint with oil, usually for the purpose of dedicating or consecrating something (such as a temple vessel) or someone (such as a prophet, priest or king) for the service of Adonai.  The word Adonai is used as a substitute for the sacred Tetragrammaton; emphatic form of ’Adon (Isaiah 6:1). Occurs 300 times in the Tanakh. The first use appears in Genesis 15:2 where Abram addresses God as “Adonai YHVH.” Israel is still waiting for a mashiach, will he be a 'deliverer' (Daniel 7:13) such as David, from the Davidic line, or did he already come riding on the colt of a donkey (Zechariah 9:9)?

1. By "emphatic" don't you mean "plural" similar to Elohim? Why add a convoluted explanation and just admit that the Jews borrowed the Canaanite pantheon?

2. Well, what Jesus rode depends on who you read - one gospel said he rode a donkey, another a colt and still another said he rode both simultaneously. For synoptic Gospels they couldn't get their stories straight.

3. Paul canceled the Torah in Romans 4 and 5 when he placed himself above the Torah and said that the Law (all of it) was no longer needed and didn't have to be followed (as it was replaced by grace and the newly deified Jesus Christ).

— George Carlin

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:2. Well, what

jcgadfly wrote:

2. Well, what Jesus rode depends on who you read - one gospel said he rode a donkey, another a colt and still another said he rode both simultaneously. For synoptic Gospels they couldn't get their stories straight.

Wait!!  I didn't realize Jesus was a trick rider in a rodeo.  Cool! 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Emphatic?

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

KSMB wrote:

Hesed wrote:
KSMB wrote:
Hesed wrote:

1. By "emphatic" don't you mean "plural" similar to Elohim? Why add a convoluted explanation and just admit that the Jews borrowed the Canaanite pantheon?

3. Paul canceled the Torah in Romans 4 and 5 when he placed himself above the Torah and said that the Law (all of it) was no longer needed and didn't have to be followed (as it was replaced by grace and the newly deified Jesus Christ).

No, I do not mean 'plural'.  The word Adonai is a substitute for the Tetragrammaton (empatic form of Adon) meaning YHVH.

Zechariah wrote: “Behold, your King is coming to you…lowly and riding on a donkey [male], a colt, the foal of a donkey [female]” (Zechariah 9:9). Matthew, writing to the Jews he focuses on the fulfillment of the Old Testament, even quoting from it sixty-two times, which is more than any other Gospel writer.  First, notice that Mark, Luke, and John did not say that only one donkey was obtained for Jesus, or that only one donkey traveled up to Jerusalem with Jesus. The writers simply mentioned one donkey (the colt). They never denied that another donkey (the mother of the colt) was present. The fact that Mark, Luke, and John mention one young donkey does not mean there were not two. If you had two friends named Joe and Bob who came to your house on Thursday night, but the next day while at work you mention to a fellow employee that Joe was at your house Thursday night (and you excluded Bob from the conversation for whatever reason), would you be lying? Of course not. You simply stated the fact that Joe was at your house. Similarly, when Mark, Luke, and John stated that a donkey was present, Matthew merely supplemented what the other writers recorded.  Why?  Again, because he wanted to emphasize 'fulfillment' of Scripture.

IRT to Paul.  I don't have any problem with what you have said.  The mashiac (deliverer) was to save Israel.  The NT's message is Jesus is that deliverer, but He wasn't what the Jews were expecting.  The Law was in motion (not only the 10, but the 613 too).  Jews were required to atone via the blood of a spotless lamb - Jesus became that substitute.  The Jews would bring a spotless lamb (or buy one at the temple) and have it sacrificed.  The temple is gone.  Judaism has no ability to continue the sacrificial law.  There's nothing wrong about grace.  Is there a possibility where you held back from someone the full force of what they really deserved?  Grace says, you deserve my wrath, but I choose to withhold it.  Why?  Because of love (NT speak).  NT's message is God sacrifices in our stead because of love (Abram parallel here). 

If we did introspection we would quickly realize we are not perfect (1 Corinthians 13 looks like perfection - an unachievable utopia if you will).  I don't know about you, but I've tried to no avail.  I know my past - it isn't pretty.  If I were to take the Bible as a whole and the message it carries as a whole, I believe I can only come to one conclusion.  None of us asked for it.  I've seen it said here that 'permission wasn't requested of us', but if it did happen then we have to respond.  If we take the Bible as a whole, then there are only two responses.

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
THE William Wallace?

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

I'm Australian/NZ - ancestry is scots - my grandfather's name on my mother's side was William Wallace. Dad's side is McGregor, Cameron and what not. There will be Irish in there, too. The Irish and Scots have the sibling thing going, alternatively hugging and punching each other on the nose.

The godly upbringing was simpler than I think you are suggesting. Just typical evangelical presbyterian, replete with a lot of beatings interspersed with howling at the lord and eating honey and wasp sandwiches at a barrage of christian camps as young, gleaming white people earnestly strummed three chords and wailed insistently that they'd never say to a hooded, sun-glassed jesus: "I cannot come to the banquet, don't bother me now, I have got me a wife, I have married a cow. .."

On the topic of faith, the ability to say "I'm convinced" and then to suddenly be aware there is good and there is evil and there is a spirit world has badly sprained my prefrontal cortex. I think good and evil are complex states of mind relating to learned social behaviours that take a lifetime to get yourself around. I am still changing my mind now about behaviours I thought were okay when I was young. It's not god. Sometimes lessons in my life show me that the way I behave discounts others and I don't like feeling that. I think the burden varies. Many sweet people are born with qualities society calls good but these cheery folks are not right with the lord, they are simply lucky enough to be positive, caring, loving, gentle, good with kids and whatever other characteristics you care to plug in. It's the grumps who are hardly done by.

With the garden of eden, I still battle with being naked as the touchstone example of good and evil. It makes very little sense to me. Adam and Eve, having strolled about the garden eating whatever they liked and shagging on every mossy patch as the brooks bubbled away could have had no great sense of right and wrong. They had not lived, they had no associations, they had no possessions, they had learned no morality. They were children. Perhaps they deserved some form of correction. Eve, a spanking perhaps, with Adam forced to watch. In any case, to charge the whole of subsequent humanity for this 'crime' is just bizarre. Are you suggesting here you really believe the mythology of the garden? The 'stain' of Eve? This story is deeply flawed.

I think the bible is a collection of myths, history, wishful thinking, ancient 'science' and philosophy scrambled up with moral lessons and multiple cults. In some ways the bible is a history of middle eastern religion. It's a frankenstein monster of a thing with the jews' inherited philistine war god Yahweh being modified over time and a Judeo-Roman jesus-myth bolted onto it like a sort of supercharger. The similarities to older Egyptian gods are profound. The King of the gods, Amon-Re, Osiris the Creator, Horus, his virgin-born son. There are parallels with so many ancient middle eastern and Mediterranean religions. In fact it's so much a formula you'd be working hard not to see it.

Is the bible a deliberate falsehood? Probably not. But the threat built into it suggests layers of malicious intent. Believe my opinion or die. You are born evil. Don't think for yourself, just believe. Whichever way you slice it, the biblical god is definitely not love. And the faux sacrifice of the godlet jesus, who is immortal, doesn't make the overarching violence easier to swallow.

Your grandfather is THE William Wallace!?!

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Humanities Worth

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

So, in your opinion mankind has some intrinsic value to you.  And if they have value, is it because the value assigned is tied to relationship?  Or is it just a matter of fact, "Ok people, I'm going to die for you because I've learned that if I do, you all will be saved!".  Saved from what?  Or by your death people live forever?  This will eventually become a problem as space will eventually run out.

I'm assuming that when you say 'every person' that you mean mankind.  If that is true, then you are also part of that group, and therefore you have worth.  In this act, is mankind inclusive of all who are living and have lived before?  Or is it for those who are alive now?  The history of mankind isn't pretty.  IRT your saving death, is it an act that is imputed to all (insert how you answered the previous two questions) or do those you died for have to acknowledge your death in some way?  I'm not being facetious here, just digging.

IRT God dying.  Well, you know as well as I do that the Gospels report that God became man through virgin birth.  John ties Jesus to "in the beginning", Genesis 1:1.  Jesus is reportedly 100% and 100% man.  In my opinion, the only way God could die is if He did become human.  So, I agree with your statement.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Hesed wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

KSMB wrote:

Hesed wrote:
KSMB wrote:
Hesed wrote:

No, I do not mean 'plural'.  The word Adonai is a substitute for the Tetragrammaton (empatic form of Adon) meaning YHVH.

Zechariah wrote: “Behold, your King is coming to you…lowly and riding on a donkey [male], a colt, the foal of a donkey [female]” (Zechariah 9:9). Matthew, writing to the Jews he focuses on the fulfillment of the Old Testament, even quoting from it sixty-two times, which is more than any other Gospel writer.  First, notice that Mark, Luke, and John did not say that only one donkey was obtained for Jesus, or that only one donkey traveled up to Jerusalem with Jesus. The writers simply mentioned one donkey (the colt). They never denied that another donkey (the mother of the colt) was present. The fact that Mark, Luke, and John mention one young donkey does not mean there were not two. If you had two friends named Joe and Bob who came to your house on Thursday night, but the next day while at work you mention to a fellow employee that Joe was at your house Thursday night (and you excluded Bob from the conversation for whatever reason), would you be lying? Of course not. You simply stated the fact that Joe was at your house. Similarly, when Mark, Luke, and John stated that a donkey was present, Matthew merely supplemented what the other writers recorded.  Why?  Again, because he wanted to emphasize 'fulfillment' of Scripture.

IRT to Paul.  I don't have any problem with what you have said.  The mashiac (deliverer) was to save Israel.  The NT's message is Jesus is that deliverer, but He wasn't what the Jews were expecting.  The Law was in motion (not only the 10, but the 613 too).  Jews were required to atone via the blood of a spotless lamb - Jesus became that substitute.  The Jews would bring a spotless lamb (or buy one at the temple) and have it sacrificed.  The temple is gone.  Judaism has no ability to continue the sacrificial law.  There's nothing wrong about grace.  Is there a possibility where you held back from someone the full force of what they really deserved?  Grace says, you deserve my wrath, but I choose to withhold it.  Why?  Because of love (NT speak).  NT's message is God sacrifices in our stead because of love (Abram parallel here). 

If we did introspection we would quickly realize we are not perfect (1 Corinthians 13 looks like perfection - an unachievable utopia if you will).  I don't know about you, but I've tried to no avail.  I know my past - it isn't pretty.  If I were to take the Bible as a whole and the message it carries as a whole, I believe I can only come to one conclusion.  None of us asked for it.  I've seen it said here that 'permission wasn't requested of us', but if it did happen then we have to respond.  If we take the Bible as a whole, then there are only two responses.

Adonai is a plural form as is Elohim - why use a plural form when discussing a singular being?

So you believe that Jesus rode both of them at the same time? Never mind that the disciples stole them in the first place. Other than that I admire the mental gymnastics you have to perform to make this work.

It is not that Jesus was not the deliverer that was expected. It's that Paul's ideas of fusing Jesus with the savior gods he grew up with (not only was he not a Pharisee he likely wasn't Jewish by birth). For example, he claimed the Eucharist (eating the body and blood of Jesus) came from instructions he got from Jesus but the group in Jerusalem led by Peter James and John never performed this ritual. Paul split from Jesus and his messianic movement the moment he declared himself a Roman citizen (which he likely purchased and wasn't born into) to save himself.

— George Carlin

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adonai, and ...

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

KSMB wrote:

Hesed wrote:
KSMB wrote:
Hesed wrote:

Adonai is a plural form as is Elohim - why use a plural form when discussing a singular being?

So you believe that Jesus rode both of them at the same time? Never mind that the disciples stole them in the first place. Other than that I admire the mental gymnastics you have to perform to make this work.

It is not that Jesus was not the deliverer that was expected. It's that Paul's ideas of fusing Jesus with the savior gods he grew up with (not only was he not a Pharisee he likely wasn't Jewish by birth). For example, he claimed the Eucharist (eating the body and blood of Jesus) came from instructions he got from Jesus but the group in Jerusalem led by Peter James and John never performed this ritual. Paul split from Jesus and his messianic movement the moment he declared himself a Roman citizen (which he likely purchased and wasn't born into) to save himself.

Adonai is the plural of Adon, meaning “Lord, Lord, LORD, master, or owner” (the word Adon derives from a Ugaritic word meaning “lord” or “father&rdquoEye-wink.  In the Tanakh, the word Adon can refer to men and angels as well as to the LORD God of Israel (e.g., Exodus 34:23). God is called the “Lord of lords”(Deuteronomy 10:17) and Psalm 8:1 mentions God as “YHVH our Lord.”

The plural form Adonai, like the plural form Elohim, is regularly used with singular verbs and modifiers, so it is best to construe the Name as an “emphatic plural” or “plural of majesty.” When the plural is formed using a singular possessive ending (“my Lords&rdquoEye-wink, it always refers to God, and occurs over 300 times in the Tanakh in this form.

IRT the donkey/colt - some believe that He road both, I'm having a hard time envisioning that.  I suspect there's a possibility they were together, but He road the colt only.  It's hard enough riding one.  Donkey basketball is hilarious!

If we are to believe Luke's writings, Jesus, after breaking the bread, said, "Do this in remembrance of me."  You'll probably counter that Luke took that from Paul's writings.

During the time of Pompey (67 B.C.), Tarsus was made capital over the Roman province of Cilicia, and Jews began to receive Roman citizenship.

If you had an 'out' that would save you from a situation, would you not take advantage of it?

Are Paul's writings authentic?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Hesed wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

KSMB wrote:

Hesed wrote:
KSMB wrote:
Hesed wrote:

Adonai is the plural of Adon, meaning “Lord, Lord, LORD, master, or owner” (the word Adon derives from a Ugaritic word meaning “lord” or “father&rdquoEye-wink.  In the Tanakh, the word Adon can refer to men and angels as well as to the LORD God of Israel (e.g., Exodus 34:23). God is called the “Lord of lords”(Deuteronomy 10:17) and Psalm 8:1 mentions God as “YHVH our Lord.”

The plural form Adonai, like the plural form Elohim, is regularly used with singular verbs and modifiers, so it is best to construe the Name as an “emphatic plural” or “plural of majesty.” When the plural is formed using a singular possessive ending (“my Lords&rdquoEye-wink, it always refers to God, and occurs over 300 times in the Tanakh in this form.

IRT the donkey/colt - some believe that He road both, I'm having a hard time envisioning that.  I suspect there's a possibility they were together, but He road the colt only.  It's hard enough riding one.  Donkey basketball is hilarious!

If we are to believe Luke's writings, Jesus, after breaking the bread, said, "Do this in remembrance of me."  You'll probably counter that Luke took that from Paul's writings.

During the time of Pompey (67 B.C.), Tarsus was made capital over the Roman province of Cilicia, and Jews began to receive Roman citizenship.

If you had an 'out' that would save you from a situation, would you not take advantage of it?

1. I know of the "emphatic plural" and it sounds more like it was an explanation written by Christians who couldn't deal with their own polytheism (much like the doctrine of Trinitarianism).

2. YHVH is the short form of the name of the Canaanite deity Yahweh. Sorry to offend but it is what it is.

3. As far as the colt and the donkey - unless he did a Roman ride (standing with a foot on each animal's back) I'd have a hard time seeing it also. You wish these guys who were supposedly inspire by God could get their stuff together.

4. The dating bears out that Paul's works were written first so I am not all that surprised that the Gospel writers (Pauline converts) had their master's work nearby.

5.  Roman citizenship came to Tarsus after Paul completed his writings so either Luke gave him Roman citizenship as a plot device or Paul had purchased it beforehand.

Paul's writings are split between Paul himself and a convert who acted as his scribe. The Christ and the religion he built from it are wholly Paul's imaginings.

— George Carlin

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Any relation to SpongeBob?

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Hesed

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Hesed wrote:

KSMB wrote:

Hesed wrote:
KSMB wrote:
Hesed wrote:

1. I know of the "emphatic plural" and it sounds more like it was an explanation written by Christians who couldn't deal with their own polytheism (much like the doctrine of Trinitarianism).

2. YHVH is the short form of the name of the Canaanite deity Yahweh. Sorry to offend but it is what it is.

3. As far as the colt and the donkey - unless he did a Roman ride (standing with a foot on each animal's back) I'd have a hard time seeing it also. You wish these guys who were supposedly inspire by God could get their stuff together.

4. The dating bears out that Paul's works were written first so I am not all that surprised that the Gospel writers (Pauline converts) had their master's work nearby.

5.  Roman citizenship came to Tarsus after Paul completed his writings so either Luke gave him Roman citizenship as a plot device or Paul had purchased it beforehand.

Paul's writings are split between Paul himself and a convert who acted as his scribe. The Christ and the religion he built from it are wholly Paul's imaginings.

1. Explanation directly from friend in Judaism.  I could have consulted a lexicon such as Brown, Driver, Briggs which I also believe to be reliable.  Trinitarianism is taught, but is not called out specifically in the Bible. 

2. Not offended; however, your explanation suggests that if my name is Bob, it's not really mine because someone else was called Bob first a very long time ago.  I find that silly.

3. Again, witnesses to a scene do not 'all' perceive the witnessed scene the same way.  Even if there were some copying going on, I would be alarmed if all the Gospel writers all said the same thing about everything.  What we really have here are parts of a whole.  So, just because 3 of the 4 do not mention the second animal doesn't mean there wasn't one.  I think Zechariah 9:9 is clear enough - Judaism is still waiting.

4. If the Gospel writers used Paul's letters as their primary source, I suppose you're going to tell me that everything else that Paul didn't mention they just made it up.

5. Roman citizenship was granted in 67BC to Tarsus, Cilicia, Paul (Saul of Tarsus) was born between 2-6AD in Tarsus, Cilicia.  In every country I know of citizenship to that country is granted through birthright.  Were the Talmud writers also influenced by Paul?  How about the Quran?

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Lol - no sorry, Hesed.

Hesed wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

The good Captain is a member here.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Naw

Hesed wrote:

The William Wallace was late 13th century and this guy was born 1905. But I do have a puritan bishop in the family tree, as well as one of the founders of the New Zealand pentecostal movement. Exciting stuff!

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yes

Hesed wrote:

So, in your opinion mankind has some intrinsic value to you.  And if they have value, is it because the value assigned is tied to relationship?  Or is it just a matter of fact, "Ok people, I'm going to die for you because I've learned that if I do, you all will be saved!".  Saved from what?  Or by your death people live forever?  This will eventually become a problem as space will eventually run out.

I'm assuming that when you say 'every person' that you mean mankind.  If that is true, then you are also part of that group, and therefore you have worth.  In this act, is mankind inclusive of all who are living and have lived before?  Or is it for those who are alive now?  The history of mankind isn't pretty.  IRT your saving death, is it an act that is imputed to all (insert how you answered the previous two questions) or do those you died for have to acknowledge your death in some way?  I'm not being facetious here, just digging.

IRT God dying.  Well, you know as well as I do that the Gospels report that God became man through virgin birth.  John ties Jesus to "in the beginning", Genesis 1:1.  Jesus is reportedly 100% and 100% man.  In my opinion, the only way God could die is if He did become human.  So, I agree with your statement.

People have value. It is true humans behave in a more ultruistic fashion to their kin and then to their close group, and only then to the wider community. You can endeavour to feel family-feelings for the whole of humanity but while it's possible to conceive of it, the emotional connection is not there. This said, I think many people in the world would give their lives to save the world. It's one of the enduring human mythologies. Flash Gordon, Neo, Superman, Iron Man, jesus - all chosen ones selected to save us all. This sacrifice urge is common to humans and most prevalent, if I remember correctly, in young men.

This death, loosely promised, was really just a bullet in the back of the head thing and everyone gets off scott free from whatever threat. I wasn't hoping to find aggrandisement in it. I'm sure the feeling is no different to that those firemen felt heading up into the burning WTC. They had ceased to be themselves and had become a higher act.

Mmmm. Are you saying that Jesus was a man or a god, or both? As you can imagine, this is a concept with which it's difficult to reconcile - notwithstanding the contradictory concept of virgin birth.

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

LOL!!!  I hope he's not offended.  Thanks for the heads up, that way I don't mis-use his name!

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

People have value. It is true humans behave in a more ultruistic fashion to their kin and then to their close group, and only then to the wider community. You can endeavour to feel family-feelings for the whole of humanity but while it's possible to conceive of it, the emotional connection is not there. This said, I think many people in the world would give their lives to save the world. It's one of the enduring human mythologies. Flash Gordon, Neo, Superman, Iron Man, jesus - all chosen ones selected to save us all. This sacrifice urge is common to humans and most prevalent, if I remember correctly, in young men.

This death, loosely promised, was really just a bullet in the back of the head thing and everyone gets off scott free from whatever threat. I wasn't hoping to find aggrandisement in it. I'm sure the feeling is no different to that those firemen felt heading up into the burning WTC. They had ceased to be themselves and had become a higher act.

Mmmm. Are you saying that Jesus was a man or a god, or both? As you can imagine, this is a concept with which it's difficult to reconcile - notwithstanding the contradictory concept of virgin birth.

IRT dying, ok.  So, I guess this act would be imputed to those born after the act - right?  All those characters were more like protectors, saving us from an evil threat vice offering a utopia (New Jerusalem).  Yes, to ultimately sacrifice self requires a person to cease self, and it does become a higher act - making it that much more appreciated and wonderful:  Shindler comes to mind.

Well, the Gospels convey the virgin birth of a person named Jesus through the Holy Spirit and Mary (the host, if you will).  So, yes, Jesus was 100% living, breathing, man, but since He is the result of the Holy Spirit of God - He is also 100% God and that is why He was able to do the miracles recorded.

Tried to email you in here, but found out I actually need to be a subscriber to do that.  Any interest in sharing email addresses?  Do you have a chat area you use?

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Captain Pineapple is a lady member

Hesed wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

LOL!!!  I hope he's not offended.  Thanks for the heads up, that way I don't mis-use his name!

[/quote

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Captain Pineapple

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

[/quote

Oh my, now I'm really in trouble!!!  LOL

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

The William Wallace was late 13th century and this guy was born 1905. But I do have a puritan bishop in the family tree, as well as one of the founders of the New Zealand pentecostal movement. Exciting stuff!

Ahhhh, thanks for clearing that up.  Still cool nevertheless.  I visited NZ for two days (business trip).  Really wanted to stay longer, but could not.  What I did see, I liked.

Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
User is offlineOffline

Atheistextremist wrote:

Hesed wrote:

You said: "On the topic of faith, the ability to say "I'm convinced" and then to suddenly be aware there is good and there is evil and there is a spirit world has badly sprained my prefrontal cortex. I think good and evil are complex states of mind relating to learned social behaviours that take a lifetime to get yourself around.  I am still changing my mind now about behaviours I thought were okay when I was young. It's not god. Sometimes lessons in my life show me that the way I behave discounts others and I don't like feeling that. I think the burden varies."

Are you suggesting that how you 'feel' about something should be 'authoritative'?