Most fascinatingly twisted book you will ever read

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Most fascinatingly twisted book you will ever read

I can't believe I'd say this, but: everyone here absolutely must pick-up S.E. Cupp's book, "Losing Our Religion." If you don't want to give her any royalties, fine - go grab it from the library or pirate a PDF or something. It's so terrifically fucked-up.

Whatever Cupp may be, she's not an atheist: her religious identy appears to be some unstable fusion of panentheism, anarcho-capitalism & the platonic 'perfect solid / essence' philosophy. She doesn't worship the Christian deity, but insists that the Christian religion has some magical power that permeates all things - and as this 'essence' of Christianity is eroded away by science and TEH LIBERAL AGENDA, things start falling apart. Toyota vehicles with sticking accelerators? It's because Christianity is under attack. Global climate change? It's because Christianity is under attack. Financial meltdown? It's because Christianity is under attack. Etc.

Essentially, she's decided to link the emerging New Atheist movement with various calamities that have manifested. Which is fucking hilarious (...and moreso because of her writing style, which isn't really poor per se, but reads in a very air-headed manner.

Apparently, the world without Christianity will somehow atrophy into a Stalinist nightmare, with secret police rounding everyone up into FEMA forced labor camps (gee whiz, where have I heard this one before?) and a 'survival of the fittest' (our Cupp's misinterpreted version of that term) regimen implemented into schools. 

I rarely ever like these crazy volumes even for the amusement factor, but this one is so over the top it had me laughing all the way through it. It's like reading a Deepak Chopra self-help book, but if he were a raging psychopath rather than just a con. 

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll steal it as soon as I

I'll steal it as soon as I can.