Bad Words! Oh sh*t!

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Bad Words! Oh sh*t!

I had this little chat with my dad a long time ago. I discovered he, as a hardcore christian, he likes cuss words. I asked him what would happen if we as a society just decided to make them regular words. Common expletives and colorful adjectives. Yea your kid could say the F word with no reprecussions. I explained to him, (lol) that we as a society have decided these words are bad. But they are just words. If we could somehow push that they are not really bad and they became everyday common words (as if they aren't already) what would be the big deal. He didn't want to discuss it, he acts like he personally needs words that should not be spoken. Makes a lot of sense!

Anyway he is a big christian and does not agree with me on this at all and did not even want to talk about it. Why not?

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
So I guess everyone likes

So I guess everyone likes curse words.

I AM on an island.


100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
Posts: 679
Joined: 2010-05-02
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:So I guess

robj101 wrote:

So I guess everyone likes curse words.

I AM on an island.

 

No, I don't.  ... but "f...ng magnets" is f...ng brilliant. Smiling

 

Actually, curse words are typically used to substitute the lack of vocabulary in expressing emotions.   Sometimes the emotions themselves are provoked by the lack of knowledge as in the example above.

 

strangely, I am thinking now about Pink Floyd's "we don't need no education.... " ... is this a Christian song? 

 


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2038
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
I use them because it get

I use them because it get the point across usually, alot better to say your a fucking moron than your moron, people understand that I am pissed with them at that point. At the same time cussing while having sex is well for me anyways, quite natural I think, almost everyone woman I have slept with curses during sex in some way or form, yet in normal conversation rarely ever do.

With that said, those that use cussing on a regular basis, not just to get a point across or to get a reaction, but those that seem to lack the ability to speak without cussing, are those, to me, that lack the vocabulary skills to properly express themselves.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:So I guess

robj101 wrote:

So I guess everyone likes curse words.

I AM on an island.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:I had this

robj101 wrote:

I had this little chat with my dad a long time ago. I discovered he, as a hardcore christian, he likes cuss words.

Isn't that backwards.  Or are you just saying he wants them to exist so he can be against them?

Cuss words are words, who cares if the dictionary doesn't except a few of them, I don't consider the dictionary the dictator of language, the people do that.  The dictionary just tries to keep up and not offend anyone by putting in the very bad completely made up words with no real root in the language.  The word "FUCK" is the most common spoken word used in the english language up there with "THE"  and "AND".  It is amazingly versatile and can be used as a Noun, Verb, Adjective, Adverd and so on...

http://grin.hu/funtxt/fido/en/fuck.html

I find it terribly anoying anyone who has a problem with cuss words (used reasonably ofcouse.)  Sometimes there is no word to use that can be equal to screaming out a "FFFFUCK!!!"  And there should be no reason not to use it.  Ofcourse speaking mannerly around children and in professional situations is just common sense but cuss words ARE words, and if they accurately describe your feelings, you should use them.  Any one who says "intelligent" people don't use cuss words, or say that if you use cuss words you just have apoor vocabulary are ignorant fucking biggots.  Stephen Fry says it well here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM

To quote fry:

   There use to be mad silly prissy people who used to say swearing was a sign of a poor vocabulary, it is such utter non-sense, the poeple I know who swear the most tend to have the widest vocabularies, and the kind of person who says swearing is a sign of a pure vocabulary usually tend to have a pretty poor vocabulry themselves.  


   The sort of tweedy person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just FUCKING LUNATIC. 

   And they say it's not necessary, what is necessary about coloured sox?  The little "extras" are what make life worth living.

 

Stephen Fry.

 

 

 

 

 

 


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I had this little chat with my dad a long time ago. I discovered he, as a hardcore christian, he likes cuss words.

Isn't that backwards.  Or are you just saying he wants them to exist so he can be against them?

Cuss words are words, who cares if the dictionary doesn't except a few of them, I don't consider the dictionary the dictator of language, the people do that.  The dictionary just tries to keep up and not offend anyone by putting in the very bad completely made up words with no real root in the language.  The word "FUCK" is the most common spoken word used in the english language up there with "THE"  and "AND".  It is amazingly versatile and can be used as a Noun, Verb, Adjective, Adverd and so on...

http://grin.hu/funtxt/fido/en/fuck.html

I find it terribly anoying anyone who has a problem with cuss words (used reasonably ofcouse.)  Sometimes there is no word to use that can be equal to screaming out a "FFFFUCK!!!"  And there should be no reason not to use it.  Ofcourse speaking mannerly around children and in professional situations is just common sense but cuss words ARE words, and if they accurately describe your feelings, you should use them.  Any one who says "intelligent" people don't use cuss words, or say that if you use cuss words you just have apoor vocabulary are ignorant fucking biggots.  Stephen Fry says it well here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM

To quote fry:

   There use to be mad silly prissy people who used to say swearing was a sign of a poor vocabulary, it is such utter non-sense, the poeple I know who swear the most tend to have the widest vocabularies, and the kind of person who says swearing is a sign of a pure vocabulary usually tend to have a pretty poor vocabulry themselves.  


   The sort of tweedy person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just FUCKING LUNATIC. 

   And they say it's not necessary, what is necessary about coloured sox?  The little "extras" are what make life worth living.

 

Stephen Fry.

 

Yea he thinks we need them. I say abolish the stigma they have and just consider them to be the colorful little words that they are.

I thought since he is a christian, it might have something to do with him wanting to keep them "bad" "taboo" etc. What purpose does that serve besides another way for kids to get in trouble. Take the word "pussy" for example. It is a descriptive term for a female body part, normally used as an insult to someone who is afraid, scared, timorous etc. Basicly it's just a word and society has determined that it is a word that should not be uttered.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Yea he thinks

robj101 wrote:

Yea he thinks we need them. I say abolish the stigma they have and just consider them to be the colorful little words that they are.

Most people allready do, and have for a very long time.  In my experience anyways.

robj101 wrote:

I thought since he is a christian, it might have something to do with him wanting to keep them "bad" "taboo" etc. What purpose does that serve besides another way for kids to get in trouble. Take the word "pussy" for example. It is a descriptive term for a female body part, normally used as an insult to someone who is afraid, scared, timorous etc. Basicly it's just a word and society has determined that it is a word that should not be uttered.

Not society, ignorant biggots.  When adults are talking to adults in non-professional surroundings with no children around everyone slips cuss words out becuase no one is really offended by them. Most people are just afraid of other people being offended, and the awkward circumstances that could ensue.  I can't think of a single adult I know that has a serious problem with cuss words except for my highly religious mother.  And she would only have a problem with ME saying them, not other people, strange. 


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Yea he thinks we need them. I say abolish the stigma they have and just consider them to be the colorful little words that they are.

Most people allready do, and have for a very long time.  In my experience anyways.

robj101 wrote:

I thought since he is a christian, it might have something to do with him wanting to keep them "bad" "taboo" etc. What purpose does that serve besides another way for kids to get in trouble. Take the word "pussy" for example. It is a descriptive term for a female body part, normally used as an insult to someone who is afraid, scared, timorous etc. Basicly it's just a word and society has determined that it is a word that should not be uttered.

Not society, ignorant biggots.  When adults are talking to adults in non-professional surroundings with no children around everyone slips cuss words out becuase no one is really offended by them. Most people are just afraid of other people being offended, and the awkward circumstances that could ensue.  I can't think of a single adult I know that has a serious problem with cuss words except for my highly religious mother.  And she would only have a problem with ME saying them, not other people, strange. 

You said highly religious mother, I have an unwaveringly religious dad, so I am still going to go with the religious people like "bad" words theory.

It makes me think religious people NEED bad things, like cuss words, homosexuality, racism etc. Yea my dads a racist too, and all of the christians I have met behind closed doors are racist, gay haters. They seem to NEED lots of things to be bad and wrong.

Cuss words are just an easy example, probably the lamest and most pointless. They are words after all and to say we should not say the words..lol. NI!

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
Posts: 1868
Joined: 2008-01-25
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Yea he thinks

robj101 wrote:

Yea he thinks we need them. I say abolish the stigma they have and just consider them to be the colorful little words that they are.

I thought since he is a christian, it might have something to do with him wanting to keep them "bad" "taboo" etc. What purpose does that serve besides another way for kids to get in trouble. Take the word "pussy" for example. It is a descriptive term for a female body part, normally used as an insult to someone who is afraid, scared, timorous etc. Basicly it's just a word and society has determined that it is a word that should not be uttered.

I had a similar conversation over 20 years ago with my fundamentalist ex-wife (she wasn't ex at the time, of course).

The idea is that words have power. This is the same reason why some theists dislike seeing YHVH (or its variants) in print. These words have power, you know. As my ex believed there were really demons, and witches who practiced magic which drew on the power of Satan, she also believed curse words contained a kind of magic power.

I think it goes back well before Judaism ever took off. Back in the days when the Jewish precursors were wandering the desert, and bloodily conquering the areas that would eventually become Old Testament Israel and Judah, they were surrounded by many different cultures. Judaism absorbed many of those myths (like Samson, Job, and Satan, for instance). One of those concepts was words as magic. So words like "fuck" and "shit" are violent words, containing the magic power of violence, and so are offensive to god. (Don't ask me why fuck and shit are violent. One is a word for a good thing, the other a word for a necessary and very non-violent thing.)

Other examples of myths and traditions are evident in Christianity. A great one is the idea of sympathetic magic that is embodied in the Catholic sacrament.

Anyway, that's my take on the matter.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:robj101

nigelTheBold wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Yea he thinks we need them. I say abolish the stigma they have and just consider them to be the colorful little words that they are.

I thought since he is a christian, it might have something to do with him wanting to keep them "bad" "taboo" etc. What purpose does that serve besides another way for kids to get in trouble. Take the word "pussy" for example. It is a descriptive term for a female body part, normally used as an insult to someone who is afraid, scared, timorous etc. Basicly it's just a word and society has determined that it is a word that should not be uttered.

I had a similar conversation over 20 years ago with my fundamentalist ex-wife (she wasn't ex at the time, of course).

The idea is that words have power. This is the same reason why some theists dislike seeing YHVH (or its variants) in print. These words have power, you know. As my ex believed there were really demons, and witches who practiced magic which drew on the power of Satan, she also believed curse words contained a kind of magic power.

I think it goes back well before Judaism ever took off. Back in the days when the Jewish precursors were wandering the desert, and bloodily conquering the areas that would eventually become Old Testament Israel and Judah, they were surrounded by many different cultures. Judaism absorbed many of those myths (like Samson, Job, and Satan, for instance). One of those concepts was words as magic. So words like "fuck" and "shit" are violent words, containing the magic power of violence, and so are offensive to god. (Don't ask me why fuck and shit are violent. One is a word for a good thing, the other a word for a necessary and very non-violent thing.)

Other examples of myths and traditions are evident in Christianity. A great one is the idea of sympathetic magic that is embodied in the Catholic sacrament.

Anyway, that's my take on the matter.

My mom is the exact smae way.  She believes alote of things are "the devil" like waterboy's mom.  She would throw out things we brought home like movies, or any books she thought would "draw in" the devil, she also believes words can attract the devil.

 

If your ex and my mom think words like fuck and shit are violent and not to be used I wonder what they think of the words rape, decapitate, disembowel etc...  Surely these word are much more violent. 


Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
Posts: 298
Joined: 2009-09-12
User is offlineOffline
robj101


robj101 wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Yea he thinks we need them. I say abolish the stigma they have and just consider them to be the colorful little words that they are.

Most people allready do, and have for a very long time.  In my experience anyways.

robj101 wrote:

I thought since he is a christian, it might have something to do with him wanting to keep them "bad" "taboo" etc. What purpose does that serve besides another way for kids to get in trouble. Take the word "pussy" for example. It is a descriptive term for a female body part, normally used as an insult to someone who is afraid, scared, timorous etc. Basicly it's just a word and society has determined that it is a word that should not be uttered.

Not society, ignorant biggots.  When adults are talking to adults in non-professional surroundings with no children around everyone slips cuss words out becuase no one is really offended by them. Most people are just afraid of other people being offended, and the awkward circumstances that could ensue.  I can't think of a single adult I know that has a serious problem with cuss words except for my highly religious mother.  And she would only have a problem with ME saying them, not other people, strange. 

You said highly religious mother, I have an unwaveringly religious dad, so I am still going to go with the religious people like "bad" words theory.

It makes me think religious people NEED bad things, like cuss words, homosexuality, racism etc. Yea my dads a racist too, and all of the christians I have met behind closed doors are racist, gay haters. They seem to NEED lots of things to be bad and wrong.

Cuss words are just an easy example, probably the lamest and most pointless. They are words after all and to say we should not say the words..lol. NI!

Another reason for me not to visit america(i presume you live there) 

Racism is the only thing i cant tolerate 


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Adventfred wrote:Another

Adventfred wrote:

Another reason for me not to visit america(i presume you live there) 

Racism is the only thing i cant tolerate 

I'm kinda curious as to what corner of the world you're from, but I wouldn't sweat it - the city I'm near right now is super-race friendly (in the middle of the deep south, of course)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
Posts: 562
Joined: 2009-02-22
User is offlineOffline
Adventfred wrote:Another

Adventfred wrote:

Another reason for me not to visit america(i presume you live there) 

Racism is the only thing i cant tolerate 

That's just because you're black.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote:Adventfred

ZuS wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

Another reason for me not to visit america(i presume you live there) 

Racism is the only thing i cant tolerate 

That's just because you're black.

I don't know if your being sarcastic, but that's quite a turd of a comment.


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5939
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
I like the idea that there

I like the idea that there are a significant proportion of people who regard cuss words as deeply offensive, or having satanic power, or whatever.

It gives the words that extra zing when you use them, otherwise they would tend to become just words.

And I know/knew a few people who use 'fuck' or 'fucking' or 'fucked' almost every other word, and that is pathetic.

Hold 'em back until you are really frustrated/pissed/angry or whatever, so that have maximum effect, both on you getting your feelings out there, and in offending the stupid fundie, or whoever else, just said or did some fucking stupid thing.

 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
Posts: 562
Joined: 2009-02-22
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:ZuS

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

ZuS wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

Another reason for me not to visit america(i presume you live there) 

Racism is the only thing i cant tolerate 

That's just because you're black.

I don't know if your being sarcastic, but that's quite a turd of a comment.

I don't know what there is to be sarcastic about, but it was a joke, yes.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.


ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
Posts: 562
Joined: 2009-02-22
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I like the

BobSpence1 wrote:

I like the idea that there are a significant proportion of people who regard cuss words as deeply offensive, or having satanic power, or whatever.

It gives the words that extra zing when you use them, otherwise they would tend to become just words.

And I know/knew a few people who use 'fuck' or 'fucking' or 'fucked' almost every other word, and that is pathetic.

Hold 'em back until you are really frustrated/pissed/angry or whatever, so that have maximum effect, both on you getting your feelings out there, and in offending the stupid fundie, or whoever else, just said or did some fucking stupid thing.

One's language does matter on many levels. If people are speaking in a room, the spoken word and mannerism have huge effect on the ambience in the room. Any work attempted is also heavily influenced. Same is the case on individual basis - just like you can change your disposition with a facial expression, so too do words matter in how you act, how you are perceived and thereby how you influence people who interact with you.

If you ever took a course in literature or just heard a discussion on some of the great classics, you are bound to have heard about noble language and it's use. "Bad words" are something one might consider anti-noble language; stuff that does not uplift the spirit, but sinks it instead and all that. That said, I don't think "bad words" are necessarily excluded from being uplifting for the spirit, but are stigmatized enough to make it extremely difficult for anyone to use them in that manner.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote: And I

BobSpence1 wrote:

 

And I know/knew a few people who use 'fuck' or 'fucking' or 'fucked' almost every other word, and that is pathetic.

I'm a carpenter, how many guys you think I've met like this on job sites, 10,000 maybe?  It's just annoying.

 

 

BobSpence1 wrote:

Hold 'em back until you are really frustrated/pissed/angry or whatever, so that have maximum effect, both on you getting your feelings out there, and in offending the stupid fundie, or whoever else, just said or did some fucking stupid thing.

 

 


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote:NoMoreCrazyPeople

ZuS wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

ZuS wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

Another reason for me not to visit america(i presume you live there) 

Racism is the only thing i cant tolerate 

That's just because you're black.

I don't know if your being sarcastic, but that's quite a turd of a comment.

I don't know what there is to be sarcastic about, but it was a joke, yes.

This is where written text falls short.  Well, like "Ahhhh, you're just saying that because your black, haha" is sarcastic.  But Saying it seriously is like saying he's against racism only because he is black, which would be toolish.  I tought you were being sarcastic. 


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5939
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
And of course they'll try to

And of course they'll try to say that using such words just proves you have no real argument, but usually it is them getting all offended that is a way of distracting themselves from the fact that they don't have an answer to your argument. It really doesn't matter much either way, because when the 'discussion' is at the point where you fell driven to cuss, it usually means you are talking to someone so far gone into their illogical mind-set that you were probably wasting your time getting into a discussion with them at all.

With me, I avoided cuss words when young, under the influence of my parents, especially my Mom, just like I avoided alcohol.

It took a while, but eventually I realized that, used in moderation, at appropriate times, that both cussing, and a 'sip' or splash of alcohol in a drink could add something to life.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
Posts: 562
Joined: 2009-02-22
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:This

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

This is where written text falls short.  Well, like "Ahhhh, you're just saying that because your black, haha" is sarcastic.  But Saying it seriously is like saying he's against racism only because he is black, which would be toolish.  I tought you were being sarcastic. 

It would have been sarcastic if a white guy said something in the lines of: well, there really isn't any racism in the US, and I would then answer something like: I am sure he is just imagining all the stuff that happens to him on daily basis. But that didn't happen, so it wasn't sarcasm.

If you really stretch it, I guess it could have been indirect sarcasm. I suppose you could understand it as me dumping a piece of crap on white people by alluding to the fact that white people don't really care about racism, cause they aren't on the recieving end. But I was really talking to Adventfred, who I presume is black and what I really said was more ironic realism - he'd have more luck talking to the great white about dental health than the little white about intolerance of racism. So whether something is irony or sarcasm depends both on the tone of voice and on who you're talking to.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote:NoMoreCrazyPeople

ZuS wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

This is where written text falls short.  Well, like "Ahhhh, you're just saying that because your black, haha" is sarcastic.  But Saying it seriously is like saying he's against racism only because he is black, which would be toolish.  I tought you were being sarcastic. 

It would have been sarcastic if a white guy said something in the lines of: well, there really isn't any racism in the US, and I would then answer something like: I am sure he is just imagining all the stuff that happens to him on daily basis. But that didn't happen, so it wasn't sarcasm.

If you really stretch it, I guess it could have been indirect sarcasm. I suppose you could understand it as me dumping a piece of crap on white people by alluding to the fact that white people don't really care about racism, cause they aren't on the recieving end. But I was really talking to Adventfred, who I presume is black and what I really said was more ironic realism - he'd have more luck talking to the great white about dental health than the little white about intolerance of racism. So whether something is irony or sarcasm depends both on the tone of voice and on who you're talking to.

True, again all why written text falls short sometimes you need body language and tone to put it all together.


ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
Posts: 562
Joined: 2009-02-22
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

True, again all why written text falls short sometimes you need body language and tone to put it all together.

No, it's not true. My whole last post is b******* (now that we are avoiding bad words) and you are probably right - it was sarcasm.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote:NoMoreCrazyPeople

ZuS wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

True, again all why written text falls short sometimes you need body language and tone to put it all together.

No, it's not true. My whole last post is b******* (now that we are avoiding bad words) and you are probably right - it was sarcasm.

I was referring to your last satemant "So whether something is irony or sarcasm depends both on the tone of voice and on who you're talking to"    This is true.


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1477
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
While i have no probem

While i have no probem swearing I try not to. Swearing makes you sound like a peasant. The great unwashed as it were.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


chndlrjhnsn
chndlrjhnsn's picture
Posts: 159
Joined: 2010-03-28
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

whether something is irony or sarcasm depends both on the tone of voice and on who you're talking to"

In the Philosophy Department at FSU they taught me that sarcasm is "malicious irony".

edit: fuck and shit


Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
Posts: 298
Joined: 2009-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Adventfred

Kapkao wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

Another reason for me not to visit america(i presume you live there) 

Racism is the only thing i cant tolerate 

I'm kinda curious as to what corner of the world you're from, but I wouldn't sweat it - the city I'm near right now is super-race friendly (in the middle of the deep south, of course)

 

Im from the Caribbean ie trinidad and tobago Smiling 


Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
Posts: 298
Joined: 2009-09-12
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:ZuS

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

ZuS wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

Another reason for me not to visit america(i presume you live there) 

Racism is the only thing i cant tolerate 

That's just because you're black.

I don't know if your being sarcastic, but that's quite a turd of a comment.

 


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Adventfred

Adventfred wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

ZuS wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

Another reason for me not to visit america(i presume you live there) 

Racism is the only thing i cant tolerate 

That's just because you're black.

I don't know if your being sarcastic, but that's quite a turd of a comment.

 

All a misunderstanding. 


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
People who think that any

People who think that any word is bad or indicative of poor education or intellect are total morons. No word has any meaning beyond the definitions of them, unless you yourself attach emotions and ethics to that word. Which is a practice of stupidity. I swear quite often because the words are more versatile than any other in the entire English language, and therefore are more useful than any other words in the entire English language. Fortunately I don't like to surround myself with arrogant assholes who think swearing makes you stupid, so I never have a problem.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:People who

Vastet wrote:
People who think that any word is bad or indicative of poor education or intellect are total morons. No word has any meaning beyond the definitions of them, unless you yourself attach emotions and ethics to that word. Which is a practice of stupidity. I swear quite often because the words are more versatile than any other in the entire English language, and therefore are more useful than any other words in the entire English language. Fortunately I don't like to surround myself with arrogant assholes who think swearing makes you stupid, so I never have a problem.

QFT

I think -again- the ban on "bad words" should be lifted. I notice they say bitch and ass on the radio now, they can say ass but they can't add "hole" to it lol. Sure I get the distinction, but when they say ass on the air I think people are still associating it with a hole. Ill never forget the day I heard the german song "sheiza" playing on the radio.

Words like "shit" also intone, silliness like doo doo, poo poo, crap etc. No one uses the term feces unless they are being sarcastic or using it in a joke or something. Would that make feces more of a "bad word" if it is used less often and generally only under odd circumstances?

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5939
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Here in Australia, we find

Here in Australia, we find it somewhat amusing how many words are 'forbidden' in the US media.

American guests on my favourite radio talk show hosted by atheist Phillip Adams frequently have to ask tentatively 'can I say ... ? and have to be reassured its OK here, even words like shit, bullshit, and occasionally worse.

This is a late-night show (after 10pm) but still....

Our local podcasts frequently use language which would apparently have US citizens fainting in shock. We are just so much more relaxed about this stuff.

 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:While i have no

Tapey wrote:

While i have no probem swearing I try not to. Swearing makes you sound like a peasant. The great unwashed as it were.

fuckin' A!  there are no people i'm more comfortable around than "peasants" and the "great unwashed."  i have a college education, i read constantly, i teach english in a foreign country, and i even own a tweed jacket with elbow patches for christ's sake, but NOTHING makes me happier than putting on my grease-stained dickies, cracking open a natty light, lighting up a hand-rolled prince albert cigarette, hunkering down in the gravel by an old toyota truck (contrary to popular belief, few "peasants" who are actually in the "peasant" income bracket drive ford f-150s), and cussing like a dockworker while telling lies a mile long.

i come from eastern kentucky where all the tobacco farmers are fairly irreligious and democratic (in an old-timey, FDR sense), contrary to the prevailing stereotype.  after spending all year in slovakia speaking english to my students and my friends with impeccable grammar and enunciation, i love slipping back into my native dialect and i speak it with great relish.  it feels just like easing into a hot tub after a 12-hour day of nonstop bricklaying.  i've always been a firm believer in the validity of dialects and "bad" english, and this includes cussing, though i do of course think there's a time and a place for everything.

on the whole, i always say a man should drink, smoke, chew, or cuss.  any man who doesn't do at least one of these things, i just flat out don't trust.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


chndlrjhnsn
chndlrjhnsn's picture
Posts: 159
Joined: 2010-03-28
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Here in

BobSpence1 wrote:

Here in Australia, we find it somewhat amusing how many words are 'forbidden' in the US media.

American guests on my favourite radio talk show hosted by atheist Phillip Adams frequently have to ask tentatively 'can I say ... ? and have to be reassured its OK here, even words like shit, bullshit, and occasionally worse.

This is a late-night show (after 10pm) but still....

Our local podcasts frequently use language which would apparently have US citizens fainting in shock. We are just so much more relaxed about this stuff.

I met a couple from Tasmania here in Florida and they threw the word "cunt" around like nobody's business. Here, that's one of the most offensive words in the language. They called everything a "cunt", books, people, beers, weather... I found it both hilarious and embarassing, but I was laughing at the taboos of my own culture as much as I was laughing at them.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote: Swearing makes

Tapey wrote:

 Swearing makes you sound like a peasant. The great unwashed as it were.

There use to be mad silly prissy people who used to say swearing was a sign of a poor vocabulary, it is such utter non-sense, the poeple I know who swear the most tend to have the widest vocabularies, and the kind of person who says swearing is a sign of a pure vocabulary usually tend to have a pretty poor vocabulry themselves.  


   The sort of tweedy person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just FUCKING LUNATIC. 

FRY

 

 

 

Haha

 


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7578
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is onlineOnline
robj101 wrote: I explained

robj101 wrote:

 I explained to him, (lol) that we as a society have decided these words are bad. But they are just words. 

P.S. we as a society decided that there are gods, we as a society that they don't like certain words.

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
Posts: 298
Joined: 2009-09-12
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

ZuS wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

Another reason for me not to visit america(i presume you live there) 

Racism is the only thing i cant tolerate 

That's just because you're black.

I don't know if your being sarcastic, but that's quite a turd of a comment.

 

i see Smiling but i did not see his remark as sarcasm next time he should phrase it differently  

 

All a misunderstanding. 


100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
Posts: 679
Joined: 2010-05-02
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:People who

Vastet wrote:
People who think that any word is bad or indicative of poor education or intellect are total morons. No word has any meaning beyond the definitions of them, unless you yourself attach emotions and ethics to that word. Which is a practice of stupidity. I swear quite often because the words are more versatile than any other in the entire English language, and therefore are more useful than any other words in the entire English language. Fortunately I don't like to surround myself with arrogant assholes who think swearing makes you stupid, so I never have a problem.

 

This description is quite self-critical.... especially if you translate "stupid arrogant assholes" in English.  Smiling

 


100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
Posts: 679
Joined: 2010-05-02
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

 

   The sort of tweedy person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just FUCKING LUNATIC. 

 

Would you like to say that I am a "lunatic deserving the strongest possible condemnation"?

Again, I am not talking for "we, the people of ...", I am just talking for myself.  And I do not like swearing, and I do consider intense and casual swearing as a sign of the lack of general cultural education. 


B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
Posts: 557
Joined: 2010-03-01
User is offlineOffline
I just had to...


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

 

   The sort of tweedy person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just FUCKING LUNATIC. 

 

Would you like to say that I am a "lunatic deserving the strongest possible condemnation"?

Those are Fry's words not mine.  I might have went with annoying, or lame.

100percentAtheist wrote:

 And I do not like swearing, and I do consider intense and casual swearing as a sign of the lack of general cultural education. 

That's fine that you consider that to be, but it's not accurate.  Perhaps "intense and casual swearing" can be past 50%, but no one here is talking about people who swear every 2 words.  We are talking about using the word when it accurately describes your feelings, and that isn't a sign of anything other than the person knowing the word and using it when it apllies.   He could be brilliant or dead reterded, swearing would have nothing to do with that.


Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
Posts: 298
Joined: 2009-09-12
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

100percentAtheist wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

 

   The sort of tweedy person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just FUCKING LUNATIC. 

 

Would you like to say that I am a "lunatic deserving the strongest possible condemnation"?

Those are Fry's words not mine.  I might have went with annoying, or lame.

100percentAtheist wrote:

 And I do not like swearing, and I do consider intense and casual swearing as a sign of the lack of general cultural education. 

That's fine that you consider that to be, but it's not accurate.  Perhaps "intense and casual swearing" can be past 50%, but no one here is talking about people who swear every 2 words.  We are talking about using the word when it accurately describes your feelings, and that isn't a sign of anything other than the person knowing the word and using it when it apllies.   He could be brilliant or dead reterded, swearing would have nothing to do with that.

agreed i swear occasionally that doesnt make my vocab low or anything


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
 100percentAtheist

 

100percentAtheist wrote:

 And I do not like swearing, and I do consider intense and casual swearing as a sign of the lack of general cultural education. 

My response would be:

   People who think cussing is a sign of a lack of education or knowledge are simply un-educated an un-knowledgeable on people who cuss. 


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
 100percentAtheist

 

100percentAtheist wrote:

 And I do not like swearing, and I do consider intense and casual swearing as a sign of the lack of general cultural education. 

My response would be:

   People who think cussing is a sign of a lack of education or knowledge are simply un-educated and un-knowledgeable on people who cuss. 


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
 100percentAtheist

 

100percentAtheist wrote:

 And I do not like swearing, and I do consider intense and casual swearing as a sign of the lack of general cultural education. 

My response would be:

   People who think cussing is a sign of a lack of education or knowledge are simply un-educated and un-knowledgeable on people who cuss. 


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
People who have fallen for

People who have fallen for the "bad words" stigma are going with the flow.

I never said I cussed a lot or anything, and untill it becomes common I'll not do so around children and women, especially elderly women they seem to be the worst ones to cuss around. That's how I was raised anyway. But then again I have had my share of dirty looks for opening doors for women too, lol you just can't be certain in this world we live in nowdays.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
As far as "gods" not liking

As far as "gods" not liking bad words that would have to have been taught from the pulpit, because I see nothing in the bible about cussing. I think there is a bit about "cursing" but I'm pretty sure to curse someone is to magic them with a hex or some shit.

 I think the word "shit" in that example was in fine taste, very palatable and would roll off the tongue well in this instance and should lightly tickle the sensitive lobes of a well educated individual.

 

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

 

100percentAtheist wrote:

 And I do not like swearing, and I do consider intense and casual swearing as a sign of the lack of general cultural education. 

My response would be:

   People who think cussing is a sign of a lack of education or knowledge are simply un-educated and un-knowledgeable on people who cuss. 

 

edit: no idea why that triple posted.


Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
Posts: 298
Joined: 2009-09-12
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:People who


robj101 wrote:

People who have fallen for the "bad words" stigma are going with the flow.

I never said I cussed a lot or anything, and untill it becomes common I'll not do so around children and women, especially elderly women they seem to be the worst ones to cuss around. That's how I was raised anyway. But then again I have had my share of dirty looks for opening doors for women too, lol you just can't be certain in this world we live in nowdays.

 

 

funny world isnt it 


100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
Posts: 679
Joined: 2010-05-02
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

 

100percentAtheist wrote:

 And I do not like swearing, and I do consider intense and casual swearing as a sign of the lack of general cultural education. 

My response would be:

   People who think cussing is a sign of a lack of education or knowledge are simply un-educated an un-knowledgeable on people who cuss. 

 

This is your personal opinion, right?