S.E. Cupp

Inferno
User is offlineOffline
S.E. Cupp

Recently heard from her on Real Time with Bill Maher this week, what a contradiction. She says that she is an atheist but sees the appeal of religious belief. She's also apparently open to becoming religious and can identify with it, which really bugs me and makes me wonder whether she's merely a new tactic from the Right. Thoughts?

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
I saw her on bill maher

I saw her on bill maher too.... I do not believe she is an atheist... she is using the title so when she "converts".... or "sees the light".... it will be a big deal...  and she will be the only brunette on Fox....It drives me friggin nuts that an intellectual windsock like her can get her book published, and get on TV consistantly...when I am shopping my book to no avail,  and getting gigs at adult entertainment expos...

UGH! THERE IS NO GOD!!!!!!!!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich, please remind me again

Rich, please remind me again why I don't have television at home. Really, I am supposed to pay how much money for shit like this? I don't think so. Especially when I can get the clip in question on youtube.

Really, I fail to see how it even matters that she can claim to see some value in religion. Sure, there are studies that show that position X has some merit. However, the idea that “studies show” is the refuge of scoundrels and liars.

Anyone who is morally and intellectually bankrupt can construct a “study” the proves any point that one wishes to make. However, pointing out that a study shows some point fails to deal with whether the study was subject to critical peer review.

A case in point could be the so called French paradox. People in France eat like pigs and have hardly any heart disease. So much effort is being directed to finding the chemical in red wine that is the key. If that substance can be found, it will be a medical magic bullet.

The problem here is that we already know what the chemical is. The French also drink like fishes. It is all about the booze. Ethanol destroys bad cholesterol. Such is the reason why the medical community calls the bible belt “stroke alley”.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Inferno wrote: Recently

Inferno wrote:

Recently heard from her on Real Time with Bill Maher this week, what a contradiction. She says that she is an atheist but sees the appeal of religious belief. She's also apparently open to becoming religious and can identify with it, which really bugs me and makes me wonder whether she's merely a new tactic from the Right. Thoughts?

Of course there is an appeal. Just like any drug or any scam, there has to be a high and a promise to hook you.

Religion has hijacked many things like family values, cerimonial events like weddings, funerals, holidays. I don't know how one could listen to Handel's Messiah with all the Christmas lights and decorations and claim that religion has no appeal. How can being told all the time you are going to paradise and not eternal torture not be a great appeal?

I believe one of the failings of atheism is that we don't have much to offer other than tasty babies to eat.

The thing she was wrong about was that the media was "attacking religion". Maher had it right when he said he was the only one.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
It wouldn't surprise me if

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a ploy.

HOWEVER, there are people who call themselves atheists merely as a way to distance themselves from right wing Christianity but still believe something is out there. They should be calling themselves agnostic theists and not atheists.

I have a co-worker whose boyfriend called himself an atheist, but when I dug deeper by asking him questions he really was not. He didn't buy the magic fantastic claims of the bible, but did think along the lines of a Jeffersonian deism of "something" starting all this and then stepping aside.

People who make this mistake are using the word to distance themselves from what they see as the bigoted bullying of theism, but don't understand that the word "atheist" includes all gods even generic concepts with no label.

I also worry about laymen atheists who dont buy any god, even a generic concept, but don't do anything to educate themselves as to what constitutes a good crap detector. You can know how to start a car, but you still need to learn to drive it. I worry about the atheist who doesn't read Dawkins, or the bible and merely says "it is bullshit". I call them easy pickings for theists, even if they are atheists.

Certainly there are no "true atheists" just like there are no "true Christians. But educating yourself as to why you hold your position is important.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Rich, please remind me again why I don't have television at home. Really, I am supposed to pay how much money for shit like this? I don't think so. Especially when I can get the clip in question on youtube.

Really, I fail to see how it even matters that she can claim to see some value in religion. Sure, there are studies that show that position X has some merit. However, the idea that “studies show” is the refuge of scoundrels and liars.

Anyone who is morally and intellectually bankrupt can construct a “study” the proves any point that one wishes to make. However, pointing out that a study shows some point fails to deal with whether the study was subject to critical peer review.

Agreed AIG...  Although itis kind of cool to catch Penn & Teller's "Bullshit" when it airs, and a few of the non premium cable channels occassionally show some things that are interesting...  for the most part cable has become a huge waste of money... but regardless, we have it...

What bothers me about the amount of air time that Maher gave Cupps and her inane work of "start with the answers and find speculative, subjective, and circumstantial "evidence" to support her "Maybe Fox will put me on air" work of trite, rhetorical nonsense ... was that next to Cupps was John Avlon, who has written a really interesting book called "Wingnuts"....which got NO Mention other than the plug during the introduction....

Moreover... Maher chose to go into the "religiolous" debate, which beame a back & forth between he and Cory Booker...who Maher wont ever take debate in ernst because he is an african American Liberal Democrat...  Had Hitchens or Rushdi been on the panel, rather than a (politician) defender of religion.... Cupps would have really been exposed as being the typical Fox News, not up to the task of intellectual debate dullard that she is....

As for Real Time... Maher has teased us with occasional moments of terrific, and funny TV...and as such, he often falls short of the bar he himself has set. my personal opinion, is that he either has to dedicate his show to interviews....or debate utilizing his panel...

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:...Had

Rich Woods wrote:
...Had Hitchens or Rushdi been on the panel, rather than a (politician) defender of religion.... Cupps would have really been exposed as being the typical Fox News, not up to the task of intellectual debate dullard that she is....

Christopher and Salman aren't needed for that. Let me do the honors.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Agreed

Rich Woods wrote:
Agreed AIG... Although itis kind of cool to catch Penn & Teller's "Bullshit" when it airs, and a few of the non premium cable channels occassionally show some things that are interesting... for the most part cable has become a huge waste of money... but regardless, we have it...

Well, you may have it but I don't. This is the 21st century and we have the ability to see everything on the internet. If sites such as google video and youtube don't satisfy a particular need, then there are the other web sites that don't actually host anything but provide links to sites that do. Some of them get fairly current stuff. One of my favorites is surfthechannel. It often has DVDs before they are in stores.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Rich Woods wrote:
Agreed AIG... Although itis kind of cool to catch Penn & Teller's "Bullshit" when it airs, and a few of the non premium cable channels occassionally show some things that are interesting... for the most part cable has become a huge waste of money... but regardless, we have it...

Well, you may have it but I don't. This is the 21st century and we have the ability to see everything on the internet. If sites such as google video and youtube don't satisfy a particular need, then there are the other web sites that don't actually host anything but provide links to sites that do. Some of them get fairly current stuff. One of my favorites is surfthechannel. It often has DVDs before they are in stores.

Dude...As the host of an internet Tv talkshow, I am totally relying on people like you to make my living...

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Worship is ok as long as it's secular?

Give me a fucken break.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just wondering.

Is S.E. Cupp her bra size?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whether this is a stunt or

Whether this is a stunt or not, it does show that the mainstream is leaving the old GOP behind. I think Fox is bringing an "atheist" on much like a token house nigger to falsely portray "inclusion"

But Hanity used the same McMedia bullshit argument "look at the majesty"

YEA Hanity, the "majesty" of childhood cancer, and downs syndrome, and AIDS, and ecoli, and tsunamis and genocide, not to mention meteors have hit the planet and will again. Not to mention that the sun will eventually expand and fry all life on the planet.

Yea Hanity, please talk about daddy's wonderful "majestic" violent home in a violent solar system in a violent galaxy in a violent universe. Yea Hanity, this is all peaches and cream.

When our species goes extinct so will all claims of god/s because there wont be another generation to market them to.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am beside myself... I

I am beside myself... I am obviously doing something wrong... *how* do these perfidious spunk dumpsters get air time, and books published?  ,,,This broad is just  a big, steaming, tightly coiled pile of stupid, and she's turning her blatent lack of integrity and a better than average bangable librarian look into celebrity...

If I have self publish this next book I am going to go into a depressive ice cream binge...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
We cant say she isn't an

We cant say she isn't an atheist. There really are atheists who vote republican but don't believe in a god. There are gay republicans too.

I will say this. She does not represent the views of all atheists. I think she is easy pickings for the slick marketing of an apologist. I don't think she has a very deep knowledge of theology or what goes into the skepticism or what constitutes good use of logic.

It is possible, even for those on the right who do believe, to be empathetic and politically correct. I have known many of Falwell students who were far right, but were embarrassed by Falwell's media antics and bigotry.

Humans are not monochromatic by virtue of label. Her being an atheist only means she holds no belief in a god or gods. She is still a human being capable of bad logic. It would not surprise me that she is getting paid to pretend to not believe. But it wouldn't surprise me that she really does not believe in a god, but doesn't like believers being picked on.

Listening to her does make me want to puke as well, but that doesn't mean she isn't an atheist. I would simply say, if she is, she would be simply our label's version of a layman who has no business jumping into intellectual battles.

I have met plenty of atheists who say, "I don't believe" and that is as deep as they get. Being an atheist doesn't mean you have to educated, it merely means you don't hold a belief in a god.

She comes across as either a fake paid by fox, or an atheist who is the right's version of politically correct with no deep intellectual argument.

The believers reading this SHOULD learn if anything, sharing a label doesn't mean those within a label agree on all things all the time.

I find it disturbing that anyone thinks that there is virtue in merely holding a position based on passion. She misses the point that one can be passionate AND WRONG. That is not something we should want in people in positions of power, OF ANY LABEL.

It is blind faith and willful credulity that leads to mistakes. Mistake happen and we all make them. But without testing and kicking the tires and oversight and questioning we magnify the chances that we will make MORE mistakes and make the mistakes WORSE.

And she is employing "militant atheist" which has been also used by believers on the left. That is not a right, vs left, tactic. It is a tactic believers use ignorantly to try to demonize someone who is merely challenging set beliefs and set norms. To say the left never says "militant atheist" is false. I have even heard atheist use the term outside this woman.

Where it is false is that we never hear of atheists blowing things up or threatening cartoonists.

I warn atheists not to fall into the same trap of "true this" or "true that" that theists fall for. I can only say that her logic and intent is suspect and that Faux is merely using marketing tactics to keep their viewers.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conservatism and atheism are

Conservatism and atheism are actually quite compatible--it's hard to make that point though, largely due to the fact that most people are fundamentally ignorant of conservatism (what it really is, etc). 

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Spunk dumpster...

Rich Woods wrote:

I am beside myself... I am obviously doing something wrong... *how* do these perfidious spunk dumpsters get air time, and books published?  ,,,This broad is just  a big, steaming, tightly coiled pile of stupid, and she's turning her blatent lack of integrity and a better than average bangable librarian look into celebrity...

If I have self publish this next book I am going to go into a depressive ice cream binge...

sotto lol...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
C.E. Cupp

JonathanBC wrote:

Rich Woods wrote:
...Had Hitchens or Rushdi been on the panel, rather than a (politician) defender of religion.... Cupps would have really been exposed as being the typical Fox News, not up to the task of intellectual debate dullard that she is....

Christopher and Salman aren't needed for that. Let me do the honors.

She's hot. I don't feel liking vomiting when I mute the sound.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
What she said about George

What she said about George Bush doesn't make any sense. She's comforted by the fact that he's following a higher power? What the hell?!? She doesn't believe in God, so George Bush can't be following a higher power. He can only have the delusion of following a higher power, but ultimately, he has to be following his own opinions.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare