Newsweek accused of perpetuating homophobia.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15680
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Newsweek accused of perpetuating homophobia.

http://x17online.com/celebrities/wtf/newsweek_article_about_gay_actors_playing_straight_draws_conflicting_comments_from_hollywood-...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/236999

Do gay actors have to fear losing their career or losing a gig merely for being gay? YES. And that does need to change. YES

HOWEVER, if you were casting a movie and needed someone to play Mandela how believable would it be to hire a white guy?

I don't think any sane person would look at Liberatchi today and say, "Yea he'd be believable as a husband to a woman. " Does that make Liberatchi bad because he was gay. NO.  Just like I wouldn't cast Arnold as Liberachi. Who would believe Arnold as Liberachi? Would that mean Arnold is bad because he cant play a gay man?

And before gays jump all over me. It was merely an example and OF COURSE it should go without saying that all gays don't behave like Liberachi. Any more than all men who who wear plad flannal go hunting.

I'd have to see an audition before I could decide if a role is fitting. I've seen plenty of movies where men playing straight men sucked and were not believable in their character. I have seen plenty of women who sucked in their roles.  I cant even understand regardless of sexuality why some actors and actresses even have careers. How Sean Pen ever got a role is beyond me. How Sandra Bullock got a role is beyond me. Who the fuck cast Drew Barrymore as an Angel needs to have their head examined.

 

If two gay men in real life with the manorisms Jack McFarland and Eric McCormic auditioned for a straight role who should I pick to play a straight man? In real life I have run into varieties of gays and there aren't only "two types". I have no doubt that there are gays that could play a straight man, and although I don't know of any right now, I am sure there are and I just don't know it.

.I used to live next to an older gay couple. When I hung out with the one smoker of the two and bumbed smokes off of him, they talked as if they were married and they complemented each other and complained about each other just like any other couple. If they were actors I would cast them as straight men. I didn't even know they were until they told me. My dick didn't fall off and I didn't run screaming when they did tell me.

People, no matter what their job, including actors, should have their jobs because they have proven they deserve to have them. Gays still have to fear far more with their jobs, even outside Hollywood, and that needs to change. But that doesn't always mean, because others make observations, that every observation is made as a bigoted one.

Gay actors should not be discriminated against because they are gay. But just like any other actor, they should get the roll for one reason and one reason only. ABILITY to be believable in that roll.

Some say that Tome Cruise and  John Travolta are closet gays. If they really are they should come out because it would go a long way in helping other gay actors. I have seen both of them in good movies and bad movies but they could play many roles because of their range.

 

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
OK Brian, that much was

OK Brian, that much was going to happen anyway. Better to get it out of the way.

 

In any case, as you say, what anyone does in bed should have no bearing on what they do in front of the camera. Or anywhere else for that matter.

 

Of course sometimes it does. People have lost roles because other people have a bad attitude over this and other inconsequential details.

 

However, I don't see how it will automatically help others for someone to come out. If a person in any profession has a private life which they wish to keep private, well that is the choice that an individual makes for themselves.

 

By stating that people who are “probably gay” need to come out of the closet, it seems to me that you are heading in the general direction of “if we had a master list of all the gays”...

 

Well, I fail to see what purpose would be served by having that list, except for making it easier for people who are shits to be better shits.

 

Really. Please watch “The Boon Dock Saints”. Willem Dafoe? Gay or not? Relevant or not? Great acting: Yes or no?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
BTW, Brian, who is the guy

BTW, Brian, who is the guy in the red suit?

 

 

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1477
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I have no

Brian37 wrote:

I have no doubt that there are gays that could play a straight man, and although I don't know of any right now, I am sure there are and I just don't know it.

neil patrick harris. gay plays a womanising idiot. does it very well to.

just do everything on individual merit and avoid generalisations and everything is golden

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15680
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Brian37 wrote:I

Tapey wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I have no doubt that there are gays that could play a straight man, and although I don't know of any right now, I am sure there are and I just don't know it.

neil patrick harris. gay plays a womanising idiot. does it very well to.

just do everything on individual merit and avoid generalisations and everything is golden

Richard Chamberlain in Showgun was convincing. I forgot about him but that was a very popular movie for the 80s.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2446
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
Try these three

 

 

 

                 Rock Hudson, Mongomery Cliff and Cary Grant.  All played macho womenizers,  all gay.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Well, if we are going to

Well, if we are going to list known gay actors, then there are lists on the internet and some of the entries could be fairly surprising.

 

Raymond Burr

 

Marlon Brando

 

Alec Guinness

 

Charles Laughton

 

Ian McKellen

 

Ricky Martin

 

Anthony Perkins

 

Cesar Romero

 

Dick Sargent

 

David Ogden Stiers

 

George Takei

 

 

 

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15680
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well, if we are going to list known gay actors, then there are lists on the internet and some of the entries could be fairly surprising.

 

Raymond Burr

 

Marlon Brando

 

Alec Guinness

 

Charles Laughton

 

Ian McKellen

 

Ricky Martin

 

Anthony Perkins

 

Cesar Romero

 

Dick Sargent

 

David Ogden Stiers

 

George Takei

 

 

 

 

Dick Sargent I wouldn't have guessed, Dick York I would have thought was. But of all the rest I knew about Hudson. I didn't know Cary Grant was gay or Brando. Those are pretty in the past though.I forgot about Mr Brady. Don't know the actor's name though.

In any case it should show that gay men can play straight men.

But I don't think Paul Lind could have played Dirty Harry.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2446
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
Yes.

 

 

 

                   Robert Read  was the actor who played  Mr.Brady.    He died of AIDs,  no less.   Brando was BI- he was married several times and had a long term relationship with actor Wally Cox. { Cox   =    what a name for a gay guy].      Barbara Stanwych,   Lilly Tomlin,  Queen Christina of Sweden (18th century) and Lindsey Lohan,  Guys aren't the only gay ones around.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Well Jeffrick, if you want

Well Jeffrick, if you want to do trivia, I found quite a bit when I was working up the list.

 

First up, when Brando died, he had his ashes mixed with those of Wally Cox and some other dude whom they both had a thing with before they were all scattered. So even dead, they managed to get some kinky shit going on.

 

Speaking of Wally Cox, that is not the worst name for a gay guy. It turns out that Dick Sargent's real name was Richard Cox (Dick Cox – get it?)

 

Anyway, you almost got my point Brian. A talented actor can play a role that goes against the general grain of the person behind the costume. Sure, I doubt that anyone is expecting Christopher Lowell to be tapped for the next James Bond. Even so, requiring suspected gays to come out on the grounds that it will help other gays is something that I find disturbing.

 

Really, a person should have a right to a private life as much as is reasonable. For public figures, that is less than for the rest of us but even so, if Tom Cruise does not choose to comment about who he sports wood for, that really ought to be his right.

 

Would his coming out help some new talent to break into the industry? Possibly. But at what price? Certainly not one that I can see anyone else having any business requiring of other people.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15680
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well Jeffrick, if you want to do trivia, I found quite a bit when I was working up the list.

 

First up, when Brando died, he had his ashes mixed with those of Wally Cox and some other dude whom they both had a thing with before they were all scattered. So even dead, they managed to get some kinky shit going on.

 

Speaking of Wally Cox, that is not the worst name for a gay guy. It turns out that Dick Sargent's real name was Richard Cox (Dick Cox – get it?)

 

Anyway, you almost got my point Brian. A talented actor can play a role that goes against the general grain of the person behind the costume. Sure, I doubt that anyone is expecting Christopher Lowell to be tapped for the next James Bond. Even so, requiring suspected gays to come out on the grounds that it will help other gays is something that I find disturbing.

 

Really, a person should have a right to a private life as much as is reasonable. For public figures, that is less than for the rest of us but even so, if Tom Cruise does not choose to comment about who he sports wood for, that really ought to be his right.

 

Would his coming out help some new talent to break into the industry? Possibly. But at what price? Certainly not one that I can see anyone else having any business requiring of other people.

 

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting a McCarthy tactic of force. I am simply suggesting to those who are, just like I suggest to atheists now, that you have the right to be silent, but that doesn't always get you what you want. I think the more gays that come out the easier it will be for other gays. Just like I think the more atheists say "I am an atheist" the easier it will be for other atheists.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37