Greetings

Zakath
Posts: 4
Joined: 2010-04-16
User is offlineOffline
Greetings

I'm a former Christian pastor who gradually came to the realization that both what I was taught and what I was teaching to others was fraudulent, however well-intended.

My sense of responsibility to my "flock" led me to resign and, eventually, leave the area.

I've been kicking around on various boards since the late 1990's and stopped in here to see what was going on.

 

Zakath


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! What denomination?

Welcome!

 

What denomination?  Are you religiously educated?

 

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
welcome

I certainly understand leaving the area.  Whew!


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2376
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is onlineOnline
Welcome

 

 

                 I admire your decency and post often.  I look foreward to reading from your point of view.  

 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13545
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Zakath wrote:I'm a former

Zakath wrote:

I'm a former Christian pastor who gradually came to the realization that both what I was taught and what I was teaching to others was fraudulent, however well-intended.

My sense of responsibility to my "flock" led me to resign and, eventually, leave the area.

I've been kicking around on various boards since the late 1990's and stopped in here to see what was going on.

 

Don't kick yourself over your mistake, just be happy that you escaped it before you spent your entire life wasted on it.  And to the Christians reading this, we do understand the "well intended" intent of believers of all labels. But in all that what we do here is not out of hate. It is more of a blunt wake up call.

Without being a pastor myself, but having been religious at one point, we can identify with your plight. And many of us who are out still live with and or love people who still believe. We are capable of loving people who utter claims we might call absurd.

Did you leave the area because of threats? Or was it merely you needing to start fresh?

I would say that if someone here however unlikely, if they suddenly said " I changed my position and do believe in a god" we might say, "WHAT THE FUCK?" But unlike theists we wouldn't threaten them.

I am lucky enough to live in an area where even the most fundy of believers don't chase people out of town. I even worked on my past job with some wonderful people who were students at Liberty U, Jerry Falwell's college. I simply thought they were full of shit on their god claims just like I would be if they claimed Allah or Thor. I can like and even love someone without agreeing with everything that comes out of their mouths.

Hope that wasn't too harsh a welcome, but considering where you say you've been, I bet this is a breath of fresh air compared to what you have dealt with.

Welcome to the Dark Side Luke.


 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Zakath
Posts: 4
Joined: 2010-04-16
User is offlineOffline
mellestad

mellestad wrote:

Welcome!

 

What denomination?  Are you religiously educated?

 

Assembllies of God. Yes, I attended their bible college.

Zakath


Zakath
Posts: 4
Joined: 2010-04-16
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Zakath

Brian37 wrote:

Zakath wrote:

I'm a former Christian pastor who gradually came to the realization that both what I was taught and what I was teaching to others was fraudulent, however well-intended.

My sense of responsibility to my "flock" led me to resign and, eventually, leave the area.

I've been kicking around on various boards since the late 1990's and stopped in here to see what was going on.

 

Don't kick yourself over your mistake, just be happy that you escaped it before you spent your entire life wasted on it.  And to the Christians reading this, we do understand the "well intended" intent of believers of all labels. But in all that what we do here is not out of hate. It is more of a blunt wake up call.

Without being a pastor myself, but having been religious at one point, we can identify with your plight. And many of us who are out still live with and or love people who still believe. We are capable of loving people who utter claims we might call absurd.

Did you leave the area because of threats? Or was it merely you needing to start fresh?

I would say that if someone here however unlikely, if they suddenly said " I changed my position and do believe in a god" we might say, "WHAT THE FUCK?" But unlike theists we wouldn't threaten them.

I am lucky enough to live in an area where even the most fundy of believers don't chase people out of town. I even worked on my past job with some wonderful people who were students at Liberty U, Jerry Falwell's college. I simply thought they were full of shit on their god claims just like I would be if they claimed Allah or Thor. I can like and even love someone without agreeing with everything that comes out of their mouths.

Hope that wasn't too harsh a welcome, but considering where you say you've been, I bet this is a breath of fresh air compared to what you have dealt with.

Welcome to the Dark Side Luke.


 

 

Brian,

 

I left the area to get a fresh start, though my wife and I returned about ten years later; after the kids were grown and gone. Things have changed quite a bit here. Have made contact with a handful of former parishoners, but we now seem to have little in common...

 

My poor daughter is taking a counseling course from Liberty. She still considers herself a practicing Christian, but is apalled by some of the things they're trying to push as "effective" counseling techniques. Been there and done that, threw out the t-shirt.

 

Thanks for the warm welcome, Palpatine.

 

Zakath


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Zakath wrote:Been there and

Zakath wrote:

Been there and done that, threw out the t-shirt.

 

Now why haven't I heard this before?  That's great.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13545
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Zakath wrote:Brian37

Zakath wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Zakath wrote:

I'm a former Christian pastor who gradually came to the realization that both what I was taught and what I was teaching to others was fraudulent, however well-intended.

My sense of responsibility to my "flock" led me to resign and, eventually, leave the area.

I've been kicking around on various boards since the late 1990's and stopped in here to see what was going on.

 

Don't kick yourself over your mistake, just be happy that you escaped it before you spent your entire life wasted on it.  And to the Christians reading this, we do understand the "well intended" intent of believers of all labels. But in all that what we do here is not out of hate. It is more of a blunt wake up call.

Without being a pastor myself, but having been religious at one point, we can identify with your plight. And many of us who are out still live with and or love people who still believe. We are capable of loving people who utter claims we might call absurd.

Did you leave the area because of threats? Or was it merely you needing to start fresh?

I would say that if someone here however unlikely, if they suddenly said " I changed my position and do believe in a god" we might say, "WHAT THE FUCK?" But unlike theists we wouldn't threaten them.

I am lucky enough to live in an area where even the most fundy of believers don't chase people out of town. I even worked on my past job with some wonderful people who were students at Liberty U, Jerry Falwell's college. I simply thought they were full of shit on their god claims just like I would be if they claimed Allah or Thor. I can like and even love someone without agreeing with everything that comes out of their mouths.

Hope that wasn't too harsh a welcome, but considering where you say you've been, I bet this is a breath of fresh air compared to what you have dealt with.

Welcome to the Dark Side Luke.


 

 

Brian,

 

I left the area to get a fresh start, though my wife and I returned about ten years later; after the kids were grown and gone. Things have changed quite a bit here. Have made contact with a handful of former parishoners, but we now seem to have little in common...

 

My poor daughter is taking a counseling course from Liberty. She still considers herself a practicing Christian, but is apalled by some of the things they're trying to push as "effective" counseling techniques. Been there and done that, threw out the t-shirt.

 

Thanks for the warm welcome, Palpatine.

 

You live in Lynchburg Va? The other colleges hate LU, and the paper hates LU and even the believers outside Liberty and Thomas Road hate the Falwells. I used to live there and I cant begin to tell you the history of bullying that family imposed on that poor city. I do think things are changing and the Falwell's are losing their power over everything accept their own property.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Zakath
Posts: 4
Joined: 2010-04-16
User is offlineOffline
Brian,No, neither I nor my

Brian,

No, neither I nor my daughter live in Lynchburg. She is taking the classes online. I would have considerable difficulty stomaching some of what they're shovelling down there. I guess she's got a stronger stomach than me.

Since the old man died, it will be interesting to see how long his son can hold things together. I know Richard Roberts, Oral's boy, is having trouble over running things at ORU. Got caught with his hand in the cookie jar one too many times, it seems. The old guys seemed better at keeping up the public pretence that their "machines" were actually doing somthing besides generating millions of dollars in cash for their families.

Zakath


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3614
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
  Welcome Zakath.  Your

  Welcome Zakath.  Your status as a former Christian clergy makes your presence here all the more valuable.  Many Christian forum members come here and assume that we atheists have never cracked open a bible, taken courses in theology, attended church, blah blah...

 

  In fact many of us are also former bible-believing Christians who accepted Jesus as our savior and were quite sincere about our commitment to our faith.   There was never any intention or desire to fall away from our former faith....it just happened.  

 

  Anyway, welcome to this forum and please share your perspective with us. 

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination." Voltaire ( 1694-1778 )


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5810
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
G'day, and welcome from

G'day, and welcome from Australia.

I also am particularly happy to have people with backgrounds like yours here to give the lie to the claims that we atheists have 'obviously' never read the Bible, or never read from the 'proper' perspective, or never accepted God 'in our heart' which is apparently necessary to gain 'proof' of his existence, or other similar responses.

I never bought into it myself, so I value comments from people with your experience.

 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5095
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Nice to meet you, Zakath.

 

Son of fundy preacher father, middle eastern missionary mother this way. Only one in the family to escape. Mum says she'll miss me when she gets to heaven. Do you ever get told you never truly believed?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck