Anybody else watching the Stanley Cup?

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anybody else watching the Stanley Cup?

I'm not the biggest sports fan, but I love fast paced sports like Hockey, Rugby, and Soccer (I know people, it's called football almost everywhere else but the states). Any other hockey fans out there?

I have been watching Hockey Night in Canada on CBC since it has the best coverage, but I hate the rampant pro-militarism/pro-corporatism of pro Hockey and all others pro sports. There is a great song off the new Propagandhi album Supporting Caste called "Dear Coaches Corner" about exactly that. I saw them play this song last Oct. 29 at Neumo's in Seattle. One of the best shows I have ever seen! I wish the video from that show had better sound quality or I would put that one up.

Leave it up too anarchist Canadian's to love hockey but hate the militaristic, corporate nature of the professional sport.

http://www.lyricsmania.com/dear_coachs_corner_lyrics_propagandhi.html

PROPAGANDHI KICKS ASS!

http://propagandhi.com/

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
One of my biggest failures

One of my biggest failures in life is that I haven't gotten to see Propagandhi live in concert... yet!

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
WOW!

Another Propagandhi fan?!?! FUCK YEAH!

I have seen them twice so far, both times in Seattle at Neumo's on Capitol Hill. The first time was the Potemkin City Limits tour (their last album) and then just recently for their Supporting Caste tour. All in all, twice in 8 years means they don't tour to often... Sadly...

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
You lucky bastard! They have

You lucky bastard! Smiling

They have never come near where I lived, ever. But one day I will get to see them, even if I have to fly somewhere for the sole purpose of seeing them. I fucking deserve to see them. I own all their records. I even have the Where quality is job #1 double 7", with the kick ass song Die for the flag which wasn't on the compilation (horrible sound quality though), and the I'd rather be flag-burning 10". I want to see Oka everywhere is one of my favorite songs by them.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where...

Where do you live? They don't have any shows planned now but keep an eye out on their website to see when they play next near you. Personally, my favorite song(s) is a tie between Dear Coaches Corner and these.

"Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette" off How to Clean Everything

http://www.songlyrics.com/propagandhi/hate-myth-muscle-etiquette-lyrics/

"Die Jugend Marschiert" off Potemkin City Limits

http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/propagandhi/americasarmydiejugendmarschiert.html

"The Only Good Fascist is A Very Dead Fascist" off Less Talk, More Rock

http://www.musicsonglyrics.com/P/propagandhilyrics/propagandhitheonlygoodfascistisaverydeadfascistlyrics.htm

"The State Lottery" off Less Talk, More Rock

http://www.musicsonglyrics.com/P/propagandhilyrics/propagandhithestatelotterylyrics.htm

"Bringer of Greater Things" off Potemkin City Limits

http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/propagandhi/bringerofgreaterthings.html

No Gods, No Masters!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, I have only watched the

OK, I have only watched the first video in this thread thus far. I will watch the others after I post this. Even so...

WTF? I don't automatically know everything? There is a band that is seemingly quite good and has been around for a quarter century which I have not run across? This is unpossible.

Past that, I have a question for b166er:

You are into professional sports but you are not into war? Let me compare the two.

Professional sports: Some guys beat the crap out of some other guys. When stuff is over, the winners get handed lots of money. The losers also get handed a good amount of money, just not quite as much as the winners.

War: Some guys beat the crap out of some other guys. The winners lie to themselves that it was about something other than money but in the end, “protecting our way of life” or whatever is about money. When stuff is over, the winners feel bad that they won and they have to rebuild the nation that lost. The losers get their nation rebuilt. There is a crap load of cash to be made in the construction industry.

In other news, Muhammad Ali was convicted of draft evasion because he built a career on beating the crap out of people but he did not want to, umm, hurt people. Go figure.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I stopped watching pro

I stopped watching pro hockey because they started putting adds under the ice. The boards around the rink weren't enough. WELCOME TO THE CORPORATE GREED ARENA.

If the NFL starts putting adds on the fields I'll stop watching, it is getting to be too much.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think there is a fundamental difference

I think that there is a fundamental difference between ritualized sports (which are in fact ways to focus our aggression and tribalism into a safer medium) and war. Team sports enable us to channel our evolved us vs. them mentality into safer avenues where war is used by the ruling classes to use other humans to achieve their (the ruling classes) goals. Where in sports, murder is the exception; in war, it is the rule.

And Answers In Gene Simmons: I'm not suprised you haven't heard of Propagandhi. You being a Republican (right wing) and them being Anarcho-Syndicalists (as far to the left as you can get). They are very much an underground band. I can imagine if you heard more of their lyrics, you would be in opposition to much of it, except the atheist nature of their anarchist views, since anarchism is very much an atheistic political philosophy. They are anti-capitalist, anti-state, animal rights supporting vegan anarchists. Right up my alley as an anti-capital/anti-state vegan anarchist, very far from yours.

Brian37 wrote:
I stopped watching pro hockey because they started putting adds under the ice. The boards around the rink weren't enough. WELCOME TO THE CORPORATE GREED ARENA.

I don't blame you, I feel the same way, but... I just love the game too much. In the words of Propagandhi from the song at the top "Dear Coach's Corner":

"we both love this game so much we can hardly fucking stand it. Alberta-born and prairie-raised. Seems like there ain’t a sheet of ice north of Fargo I ain’t played. From Penhold to the Gatineau, every fond memory of childhood that I know is somehow connected to the culture of this game. I can’t just let it go."

I feel the same way. I grew up playing street hockey and the only reason I don't anymore is that none of my friends will play with me... DX

But I feel the same way about the "CORPORATE GREED ARENA'S" as you so elequently put it.

No Gods, No Masters!