Would you date/marry someone who was not an atheist?

Mahaco
User is offlineOffline
Would you date/marry someone who was not an atheist?

I have read lots of threads in the past as a lurker, and it seems quite a lot of you atheists here are married to theists.  Personally, I would never do that.  Especially not since I would like to have children someday.  I have never been married, don't have any kids, and am not in a relationship or dating.  However, to have a serious relationship, I must find another atheist.  I have spent my whole life around conservative Christians and I am completely disgusted with them.  I can't stand the idea of willingly living with theists.  Therefore, I would never date one, and especially not marry one.  I also want to make sure any children I have in the future are raised rationally as freethinkers and have a united consistant outlook from both parents.  One thing though, that sucks, is that limiting myself to fellow atheists greatly reduces the number of potential dates and relationships I can have, since atheists are clearly in a minority.  How do yall in mixed atheist/theist relationships deal with raising your children, if you have any?  I suspect that many atheists that are married to theists were not atheists when they got married, although I'm sure that is not always the case.  Anyway, I think this could be an interesting discussion, at least to me.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
How off topic can we

How off topic can we get???

robj101 wrote:

Driving, I am one of the people who gets so irritated with people who live in their own little world when driving. I am constantly doing stupid shit like making sure if I pull out in a 2 lane I pull out in the lane the approaching vehicle is NOT in. Man that is just stupid. I often stop far enough away from the back of a vehicle at a stop light to let someone in. More stupid. If I do pull out in front of someone, I'm glad I have a peppy little 6 cylinder. I gas it and make sure they don't have to slow down. What a moron.

I really really wish I could just drive like an ass so maybe it wouldn't irritate me when people do stupid shit to me while driving. It would just be normal, but I feel like I'm the abnormal one at this point. No fukin common courtesy anymore, but, I do smile on the very rarest of occasions when someone does something courteous on the road.

Love it.

Quote:

I have never done the road rage thing, but I had an incident a little while back with a "cowboy". I'm waiting at the intersection to get on a highway and this guy in a pickup guns it, so I can't pull out in front of him, yea you could hear his glass packs as he gunned it. So I get behind him..he slows down to 5 below the speed limit. I was irritated, so I rode his ass. He made the next turn I needed to make so, I rode his ass, he is really crawling at 20 in a 30 now. He slams on his brakes in the middle of the street, gets out and throws his cowboy hat in the bed of his truck like some weird bad ass. I step out of my little car and he takes a step back. I laughed at him, and then he starts spewing about I better have insurance. I guess he thought I was some little geek type in my sonata lol. He got back in his truck and drove the speed limit =)

Years ago, my husband drove a 1974 Audi 100LS.  It was more than 10 years old and plain tan, and sort of dumpy.  But, it had a 1/4 race cam and oversize Porsche pistons.  That little car could cook.  So he is driving in town on a through street, 35 is the posted limit.  And it is typically busy at that time of day.  He is doing as close to the speed limit as he can given the traffic.  This guy starts really tail gating and honking and generally being a dope.  The guy in front of my husband signals and hits his brakes to turn, hubbie doesn't hit his brakes or even slow down, but whips into the right lane between two cars.  He says the crunch as the tail gater rear ended the turning car was delightfully satisfying.

Just a word to the wise - don't tail gate an Audi.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:How off topic can

cj wrote:

How off topic can we get???

robj101 wrote:

Driving, I am one of the people who gets so irritated with people who live in their own little world when driving. I am constantly doing stupid shit like making sure if I pull out in a 2 lane I pull out in the lane the approaching vehicle is NOT in. Man that is just stupid. I often stop far enough away from the back of a vehicle at a stop light to let someone in. More stupid. If I do pull out in front of someone, I'm glad I have a peppy little 6 cylinder. I gas it and make sure they don't have to slow down. What a moron.

I really really wish I could just drive like an ass so maybe it wouldn't irritate me when people do stupid shit to me while driving. It would just be normal, but I feel like I'm the abnormal one at this point. No fukin common courtesy anymore, but, I do smile on the very rarest of occasions when someone does something courteous on the road.

Love it.

Quote:

I have never done the road rage thing, but I had an incident a little while back with a "cowboy". I'm waiting at the intersection to get on a highway and this guy in a pickup guns it, so I can't pull out in front of him, yea you could hear his glass packs as he gunned it. So I get behind him..he slows down to 5 below the speed limit. I was irritated, so I rode his ass. He made the next turn I needed to make so, I rode his ass, he is really crawling at 20 in a 30 now. He slams on his brakes in the middle of the street, gets out and throws his cowboy hat in the bed of his truck like some weird bad ass. I step out of my little car and he takes a step back. I laughed at him, and then he starts spewing about I better have insurance. I guess he thought I was some little geek type in my sonata lol. He got back in his truck and drove the speed limit =)

Years ago, my husband drove a 1974 Audi 100LS.  It was more than 10 years old and plain tan, and sort of dumpy.  But, it had a 1/4 race cam and oversize Porsche pistons.  That little car could cook.  So he is driving in town on a through street, 35 is the posted limit.  And it is typically busy at that time of day.  He is doing as close to the speed limit as he can given the traffic.  This guy starts really tail gating and honking and generally being a dope.  The guy in front of my husband signals and hits his brakes to turn, hubbie doesn't hit his brakes or even slow down, but whips into the right lane between two cars.  He says the crunch as the tail gater rear ended the turning car was delightfully satisfying.

Just a word to the wise - don't tail gate an Audi.

I got hit in the rear once while driving a truck. Guy on a cell phone didn't notice I was stopping at a yield sign waiting to get in traffic. Solid steel powergate on the back of the truck, lol @ that vans front end.

What's a topic? We are on the side of the road, they can drive around =)

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
As long as they're cute,

As long as they're cute, red-blooded, and aren't apart of the mainstream cults... oh yeah! I'd hit it...

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well, I made that mistake once. She was hot and she liked to drink as much as I do. All that I had to do was wait for the right time and I would have gotten a slice. Well, the year and a half of dating was fun but the whole she can't fuck thing went out the door once she ran off to California to marry her internet stalker.

In retrospect, I am glad that I never fucked the bitch.

I hope that one day she ends up dead in a ditch because of a serial killer.

Damn... this is surreal. I've had similarly misogynistic sentiments towards stuck-up, "drama queen" girls, myself! I can't quite imagine myself dating someone who's "abstinence till marriage", though.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Mahaco
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:As long as

Kapkao wrote:

As long as they're cute, red-blooded, and aren't apart of the mainstream cults... oh yeah! I'd hit it...

Me too!  I know I can't be too picky, but I got to have standards also!

Quote:
Damn... this is surreal. I've had similarly misogynistic sentiments towards stuck-up, "drama queen" girls, myself! I can't quite imagine myself dating someone who's "abstinence till marriage", though.

I can't stand drama queens or high maintenance women or stuck up bitches or prudes either.  Abstinence til marriage is insane and offensive.  I feel it is important to be sexually compatible with the one you marry.  Apparantly they don't know that sex isn't the same with everyone, lol.  Of course, when I was a Christian back in high school I also believed in no sex before marriage.  But, I wouldn't have found anyone to have sex with back then anyway.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
well for me it's like an

well for me it's like an invitation, they invited me to go, I attended, much like a wedding or a funeral, you won't go because it is catholic wedding? or a catholic funeral? I tend baptisms because (oddly enough) I am chosen as the godfather (why me I have no clue they all know I an atheist and even ask them multiple times if they are correct in choosing an atheist as their child's godfather), why wouldn't I attend? Now if I am not the godfather I never attended a baptism (ok 2 of them only so far that I have attended to) I don't go though the motions, I don't pray when asked to, I don't knee when asked to by the preacher/priest. I simply sit or stand as required.

The reality is we live in a religious society of sorts, we have friends or family that are religious, as long as they know where you stand on the issues, if they invite you its in my opinion because they still love you and want you to be there for them on that occasion. I see no harm in doing such a thing. Now if your being deceitful about you stand on religion, then yes I see the harm behind it. Christmas is pretty much the same in my family my parents are not religious folks, my dad an atheist, my mom a deist of sorts my sister is catholic, but I swear it's for work purposes only, we have the dinner, we exchange gifts, but more because it's a tradition, we don't spend copious amounts of money on each other, but we just do it to get everyone together and enjoy our time, that's it.

I don't understand why a christian friend would be hard trying to be an atheist, there is no celebration that atheists do, there is no reason for my christian friend to act as an atheist, I know he is a christian, just like my christian friends an family know that i am an atheist, i never hid that from them. Nor have I hid that from my muslim friend or hindu friends. We are not friends because of our religious views but because we enjoy each others company.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Depends on how hot she was.

Depends on how hot she was. All these guys that say otherwise are damn liars.

It is just one factor amoung many. She would have to tolerate my lack of belief. I would have to hold my tongue when I see the absurdity in her religion. But that is the way all relationships, it's a game of give and take.

There is a cost to pay to get what you want. Tolerating her religion, religious family and friends may just be the price to pay. Maybe I have to pretend to aleast be nominally spirtual. You put up with a shit from a boss/customer to get a paycheck, so why not put up with some shit to get laid? 

Believe me there a lot of Christian men that are Pussy Whipped into 'believing'. Science tells us that  women are pretty much whores, men their johns. Some want cash, some want submission, but nothing is free.

The two things I could never tolerate would be telling me she can't fuck me because Jesus would get pissed and indoctrination of children with religion and the fear of hell.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Mahaco
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:well for

latincanuck wrote:

well for me it's like an invitation, they invited me to go, I attended, much like a wedding or a funeral, you won't go because it is catholic wedding? or a catholic funeral? I tend baptisms because (oddly enough) I am chosen as the godfather (why me I have no clue they all know I an atheist and even ask them multiple times if they are correct in choosing an atheist as their child's godfather), why wouldn't I attend? Now if I am not the godfather I never attended a baptism (ok 2 of them only so far that I have attended to) I don't go though the motions, I don't pray when asked to, I don't knee when asked to by the preacher/priest. I simply sit or stand as required.

Well, when you put it that way, it makes sense.  I wouldn't refuse to go to a wedding or funeral just because it was religious.  I've never been to any Catholic weddings or funerals, only Protestant ones.  I feel that only weddings, funerals, and graduations are important enough for me to attend regardless or religious affiliation.  I would never go to a baptism or any other ritual/special occassion.  No one's ever asked me to go to such things either.  I've only ever been to 3 weddings and 2 funerals in my whole life, only one of which (my younger brother's wedding) was I involved with as more than just someone in the audience (I was one of the groomsmen).

I think it is rather strange that they would choose you as a godfather, especially when they do know that you are an atheist!  I mean, don't godparents technically have at least <i>some</i> responsibilities?

I also don't pray or participate in any of the religious aspects of these occassions, although I am discreet about it and remain respectful (I don't want to cause a scene or confrontation, not because I think it actually deserves respect).

Quote:
The reality is we live in a religious society of sorts, we have friends or family that are religious, as long as they know where you stand on the issues, if they invite you its in my opinion because they still love you and want you to be there for them on that occasion. I see no harm in doing such a thing. Now if your being deceitful about you stand on religion, then yes I see the harm behind it. Christmas is pretty much the same in my family my parents are not religious folks, my dad an atheist, my mom a deist of sorts my sister is catholic, but I swear it's for work purposes only, we have the dinner, we exchange gifts, but more because it's a tradition, we don't spend copious amounts of money on each other, but we just do it to get everyone together and enjoy our time, that's it.

I don't understand why a christian friend would be hard trying to be an atheist, there is no celebration that atheists do, there is no reason for my christian friend to act as an atheist, I know he is a christian, just like my christian friends an family know that i am an atheist, i never hid that from them. Nor have I hid that from my muslim friend or hindu friends. We are not friends because of our religious views but because we enjoy each others company.

In our society, it might be beneficial for some atheists to remain in the closet and pretend to be religious (job security, family harmony, etc).  Yet, there is never a time when a religious person would gain from pretending to be an atheist (with the remote possible exception of academia), because our society is so utterly dominated by religion.

Religious holidays can be fun and I see no harm in celebrating some of them as atheists (as long as you don't take things seriously or go overboard).  Maybe treat Christmas as a Winter celebration and Easter as a Spring festival, and ignore most, if not all, of the others (maybe Mardi Gras and Halloween are still cool, lol; but not Lent).

I certainly wouldn't want my kids (if I had any) to feel left out because we don't celebrate such things, and I do like some traditions (especially regarding food).  But, I don't like decorating for any holidays or anything like that.  Holidays are mainly to have fun, enjoy the company of family (I almost never celebrate with friends), and enjoy delicious home-cooked feasts.

Mahaco
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Depends on how hot

EXC wrote:

Depends on how hot she was. All these guys that say otherwise are damn liars.

Well, hotness can be important.  But I don't care as much about sex appeal when it comes to marriage, that is when compatibility is most important, and I am not compatible with theists. 

Quote:
It is just one factor amoung many. She would have to tolerate my lack of belief. I would have to hold my tongue when I see the absurdity in her religion. But that is the way all relationships, it's a game of give and take.

There is a cost to pay to get what you want. Tolerating her religion, religious family and friends may just be the price to pay. Maybe I have to pretend to aleast be nominally spirtual. You put up with a shit from a boss/customer to get a paycheck, so why not put up with some shit to get laid? 

Well, if my only goal was to get laid, then yeah, I might be willing to put up with a theist for that.  However, I would only go so far.  I wouldn't let a woman string me along for months with the promise of eventually getting some pussy.  That would not be a healthy relationship at all.  Only if she gives it up relatively quickly would I consider putting up with and tolerating such BS.

Quote:
Believe me there a lot of Christian men that are Pussy Whipped into 'believing'. Science tells us that  women are pretty much whores, men their johns. Some want cash, some want submission, but nothing is free.

I totally agree.  I wish more women realized this, and that this view was more socially acceptable.  Also, I wish most women weren't so "expensive."

Quote:
The two things I could never tolerate would be telling me she can't fuck me because Jesus would get pissed and indoctrination of children with religion and the fear of hell.

I can't tolerate any of that either, which is why I could never marry a theist.  Date one, maybe, but marry, no.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I should clarify,

I should clarify, participation, not just attending, of course I'll go to a relatives funeral or wedding. I won't likely participate however. I already pissed some of them off once by refusing to participate at a funeral. A couple of relatives hate me now, oh well such is life. I refuse to "play like" or pretend. I made the christian playing like an atheist as an example. That's two people who have taken it literally. I don't expect it has ever nor would ever have actually happened however people here are atheists so that example should hit home harder than say, a catholic attending and participating in a hindu ceremony. A christian friend pretending to be an atheist for who knows what reason would be insulting, belittling fake etc to me. Therefore I cited such an example to express these sentiments. It does not mean it would happen nor am I inferring that it should happen or has ever happened or is even likely to happen. How far shall I need to press with my thinly veiled surreal euphamisms this time.

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:I should

robj101 wrote:

I should clarify, participation, not just attending, of course I'll go to a relatives funeral or wedding. I won't likely participate however. I already pissed some of them off once by refusing to participate at a funeral. 

Perhaps ... my wife is an atheist. Smiling  But we have baptized our daughter.    purely out of the cultural tradition I'd say.  

However, I feel soooo uncomfortable if someone starts praying while I have no idea what to do and even don't have any idea WHY I should have any idea about it. 

So, non participation during attendance hurts my feelings.  Maybe it is similar to watching how the God rapes your wife... 

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mahaco wrote:Well, if my

Mahaco wrote:

Well, if my only goal was to get laid, then yeah, I might be willing to put up with a theist for that.  However, I would only go so far.  I wouldn't let a woman string me along for months with the promise of eventually getting some pussy.  That would not be a healthy relationship at all.  Only if she gives it up relatively quickly would I consider putting up with and tolerating such BS.

I think generally people 'in love' are not so rational like this. We don't have free will. This is an area of human behavior that clearly demonstrates this.

Romantic love pretty much operates like any other addictive substance. So for you to say you would be this way is pretty much like an alcholic, crack or heroine addict telling me they can stop any time they wish. You've evolved into a being that will do anything for love and sex if the feelings are strong enough.

Mahaco wrote:

I totally agree.  I wish more women realized this, and that this view was more socially acceptable.  Also, I wish most women weren't so "expensive."

I think they know this. But if you have a 'customer' willing to pay any price and you enjoy a monopoly, why change anything? Milk it for all you can while you are still hot because women's looks go pretty fast after 30.

Mahaco wrote:

I can't tolerate any of that either, which is why I could never marry a theist.  Date one, maybe, but marry, no.

Unless of course she was really hot. Then you could bring yourself to 'believe'. I just say ''I'm spirtual but not religious". I don't know what the fuck it means but it can help me get laid.

Divorce ain't so bad especially if you know there really ain't no god to torture you any worse than your X. Society wants to attach a stigma to it, well, fuck society.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I should clarify, participation, not just attending, of course I'll go to a relatives funeral or wedding. I won't likely participate however. I already pissed some of them off once by refusing to participate at a funeral. 

Perhaps ... my wife is an atheist. Smiling  But we have baptized our daughter.    purely out of the cultural tradition I'd say.  

However, I feel soooo uncomfortable if someone starts praying while I have no idea what to do and even don't have any idea WHY I should have any idea about it. 

So, non participation during attendance hurts my feelings.  Maybe it is similar to watching how the God rapes your wife... 

If they are praying, give them a questioning look, as if "is this really the time or place to play out a fantasy?"

There is no need to be uncomfortable, they are the ones who should feel uncomfortable forcing their religion on others, but they have a knack for turning it around.

Mahaco
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:I think generally

EXC wrote:

I think generally people 'in love' are not so rational like this. We don't have free will. This is an area of human behavior that clearly demonstrates this.

Romantic love pretty much operates like any other addictive substance. So for you to say you would be this way is pretty much like an alcholic, crack or heroine addict telling me they can stop any time they wish. You've evolved into a being that will do anything for love and sex if the feelings are strong enough.

Yep, I agree.  As they say, "Love is blind."  But, it's not just romantic love that causes irrational behavior like this, but also lust.  I tend to be very easily manipulated by strippers and such (not always).

Quote:
I think they know this. But if you have a 'customer' willing to pay any price and you enjoy a monopoly, why change anything? Milk it for all you can while you are still hot because women's looks go pretty fast after 30.

I'm edging towards 30 myself.  I'm glad men can get away with dating younger women.  I definitely prefer women who are somewhat younger than me (I'm 28... I like women best when they are 21-25).

Quote:
Unless of course she was really hot. Then you could bring yourself to 'believe'. I just say ''I'm spirtual but not religious". I don't know what the fuck it means but it can help me get laid.

Yeah, I could probably bring myself to do lots of irrational things for an extremely hot woman, but ONLY if she was trying to seduce me.  Or if she said she'd have sex with me if I did something like believe.  But, otherwise, most religious women aren't that easy, at least not the ones who would think it was important that I was also religious.

Quote:
Divorce ain't so bad especially if you know there really ain't no god to torture you any worse than your X. Society wants to attach a stigma to it, well, fuck society.

Well, yeah, if you are unhappy with your spouse, then by all means get a divorce!  Especially if you have no trouble getting dates.  I'm single and have an extraordinarily hard time getting dates, and an even more difficult time getting 2nd dates or girlfriends.  So, if I ever got married, I'd want to hold on to her as much as I could.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mahaco wrote: Well, yeah,

Mahaco wrote:

Well, yeah, if you are unhappy with your spouse, then by all means get a divorce!  Especially if you have no trouble getting dates.  I'm single and have an extraordinarily hard time getting dates, and an even more difficult time getting 2nd dates or girlfriends.  So, if I ever got married, I'd want to hold on to her as much as I could.

But I think you're setting yourself up to be taken advantage of. You should have sex with not so attractive women and hookers until you build your confidence up more, just think of it as paying your dues. Women are not going to be attracted to men that are so submissive like this anyways.

That's what is so ridiculous about Christian women is they want men that are so submissive to religion and so no passive about sex. But then they bitch that Christian men don't pursue them and they are too wimpy. You take away men's sex drive with irrational fears of eternal punishment, what the hell do they expect?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
@OP:  Sure, depending on

@OP:  Sure, depending on the theist.  I wouldn't have any issues being in a relationship with a deist, super-liberal Christian, easy-going Buddhist, etc.

My wife is nonreligious, but she isn't a 'new atheist' or anything.  She finds my passion for this stuff worthy of eye-rolling, and that's about it.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
 I married a theist, so I

I married a theist, so I obviously think it's plausible.  We saw it as one of the biggest hurdles for our relationship, but we are very open and respectful of each other's opinions and constantly talk about it.  I wasn't sure at one point in my life, but now-a-days there are simply more important things.  When someone is brought up their entire life believing in something, they really need a strong personal motivation to change that belief.  If a person is content with who they are, it can be difficult if not impossible to find that motivation.

I don't think it is critical to a successful marriage to have the same beliefs just as I don't believe it is critical to have the same interests.  In fact, having contrasting faith's can be a boost and an great source of conversation if the two people approach it right.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well, I made that mistake once. She was hot and she liked to drink as much as I do. All that I had to do was wait for the right time and I would have gotten a slice. Well, the year and a half of dating was fun but the whole she can't fuck thing went out the door once she ran off to California to marry her internet stalker.

In retrospect, I am glad that I never fucked the bitch.

I hope that one day she ends up dead in a ditch because of a serial killer.

wow.

Eye-wink

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
When my husband and I dated

When my husband and I dated we didn't talk much about religion ~when we did I gathered that he called himself 'non-practicing catholic' and I shared that I had some exposure to religion but was not religious. It never really got too deep until 3 years later when he asked me to marry him. During discussions of marriage ceremonies we both agreed that neither of us believes in god nor do we follow any religion so we married in the church of my parents' choice.

I am not sure how it would have gone if he would have insisted he believed in a god and wanted to practice his faith. I wasn't as confident in my non-belief back then as I am now so i may have been okay with his belief? (who knows).

As for kids, we have chosen not to have them... It was the one thing back in our late teens that we were 100% in agreement on.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't begin to tell you

I can't begin to tell you how many former Fundamentalist Christians are Swingers... its like they re-discover God in Hedonism....

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:    No

Ken G. wrote:

No F<>KING way.

x2 now let me read the rest of the post's

Zanarkand
Zanarkand's picture
User is offlineOffline
I once had a girlfriend when

I once had a girlfriend when i was about 16 ( still attending fundy christian church back then ) and well you can say that i am so in love with her during that time. funny thing is i broke up with her through the urging of the church and the head pastor. turns out we shouldnt date anyone other than "us" since they all are worshipping satan and the devil (according to my past-ore. (she is catholic).

and just recently about two months ago i broke up with my then girlfriend ( i am now 18) because of religion too. we almost argue about it everyday and i am always disappointed with her asinine responses regarding the matter.

i dont worry a lot regarding womens religion here in the philippines since almost all of them dont really give a damn about it. but yes, i would like to have one atheist or agnostic too tho'. sometimes it is a clear indication that your girl is a thinking one not some dumb nutjob

Not only can water float a boat, It can sink it also.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote: We saw it as

Tarpan wrote:

We saw it as one of the biggest hurdles for our relationship, but we are very open and respectful of each other's opinions and constantly talk about it.  

The problem is theists don't really  have opinions or logical arguments, they just have their feelings. They believe in Jesus because to them it feels better than not believing.

The truth is there are very few things that should be matters of opinion or differences of opinion. Scientific methods and logical reasoning can pretty much demonstrate what or what is not logically plausible. So I don't think there is any difference of opinion between theists and atheists. There is only the difference of their imaginary 'friend' not being our drug to get us through the day as well.

The same is true for political opinions. When you get down to what people believe, it is not an informed opinion based on facts and evidence but rather it just feels like the right position to take.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Tarpan wrote: We

EXC wrote:

Tarpan wrote:

We saw it as one of the biggest hurdles for our relationship, but we are very open and respectful of each other's opinions and constantly talk about it.  

The problem is theists don't really  have opinions or logical arguments, they just have their feelings. They believe in Jesus because to them it feels better than not believing.

The truth is there are very few things that should be matters of opinion or differences of opinion. Scientific methods and logical reasoning can pretty much demonstrate what or what is not logically plausible. So I don't think there is any difference of opinion between theists and atheists. There is only the difference of their imaginary 'friend' not being our drug to get us through the day as well.

The same is true for political opinions. When you get down to what people believe, it is not an informed opinion based on facts and evidence but rather it just feels like the right position to take.

I'll address this one in phases...

Overall I think this is a gross over simplification of reality.  While you may perceive it as true, it is in itself an opinion and nothing more which I find humerous.

1) Theists do have opinions as well as logical arguments.  You put them all in a bucket but a lot of theists simply never question what they are taught from a young age and it gets in their head.  Being respectful of someone's opinion is about understanding that the source of a person's perception or belief is often a very deep belief that they may or may not have questioned.  People are not going to change their belief without motivation and if that person cannot find sufficient motivation in knowledge, then there is no way you are going to convince someone to change their mind.  This is not unique to religion, you will find this attitude towards brands of coffee or chocolate bars as well.  If a person is not looking for a change, they will need a considerably good reason to change their mind on something.  It is possible to be respectful of the fact that someone has a belief that has defined their world for a long time and it may be an opinion that simply will not change particularly late in life.

2) Science can provide answers only where answers are sought.  It ignores the fact that likely the huge majority of theists are not looking for answers but are content with their answer or they are still on the search for answers.  Scientific answers and logical reasoning may provide answers, but some of those answers can take an extremely long time to find. 

3) As for political opinions, I think that is a really gross generalization.  Many political opinions are based on different priorities in life rather than facts.  Also, there are many different perceptions on new theories that are not based in fact.  Some people believe fundamentally that we should all fend for ourselves and be not help the least of us, some of us believe that it is a social responsibility to help the least of us, while some of us believe that everyone deserves equal regardless of what we do professionally.  If we based things purely on fact, we would also never see political advancement or changes.  At some point people need to agree to take a risk on a theory to prove that it is a better solution than what has been done in the past.  While a lot of people are not well informed of the facts, it is folly to assume that there are not political differences for reasons other than facts and evidence.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:I should

robj101 wrote:

I should clarify, participation, not just attending, of course I'll go to a relatives funeral or wedding. I won't likely participate however. I already pissed some of them off once by refusing to participate at a funeral. A couple of relatives hate me now, oh well such is life. I refuse to "play like" or pretend. I made the christian playing like an atheist as an example. That's two people who have taken it literally. I don't expect it has ever nor would ever have actually happened however people here are atheists so that example should hit home harder than say, a catholic attending and participating in a hindu ceremony. A christian friend pretending to be an atheist for who knows what reason would be insulting, belittling fake etc to me. Therefore I cited such an example to express these sentiments. It does not mean it would happen nor am I inferring that it should happen or has ever happened or is even likely to happen. How far shall I need to press with my thinly veiled surreal euphamisms this time.

I agree faking it is one thing, I wouldn't fake it for anyone, hence the reason I asked both my friends that if they were sure that they wanted me as a godfather, apparently the reason is that I am very rational when it comes religion around the world, mainly it was A)was because they didn't want their religious family members to have the position, and b) they wanted their kids to have someone to able to talk to about the world, academics, or just things about life they can't talk to their folks about. We shall see how this goes. As such i don't play like or pretend like, I don't lie about my religious views, however I am not going to turn down my friends and family because they believe in it, if they know exactly my views then it's all good, its when you start hiding that fact and actually pretending you believe all the shit that it's wrong, well in my view it is.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote:1) Theists do

Tarpan wrote:

1) Theists do have opinions as well as logical arguments. 

Not really. Their feelings come first, in fact most theists don't really believe in any meaningful way. A person with an opinion based on a set of facts and logic would change their conclusions as the facts change. A theist feels so good believing that they may have an all powerful 'friend',that  their existence will never end and their enemies will be tortured. The facts, logic and conclusions are all forced to conform with with their need to feel good. So the only 'opinion' they really have is that they should do whatever is necessary to feel good. Their goal is not to be logically consistent but only to feel good.

Tarpan wrote:

Being respectful of someone's opinion is about understanding that the source of a person's perception or belief is often a very deep belief that they may or may not have questioned. 

And why should a religious opinion deserve any respect? Should we respect the opinion of salesmen that sell snake oil? Creationists that tell us the earth is only 6000 years old? Where do draw you line in respect? Does religion respect your atheism? And they are the one's with the "Do unto others" rule.

Tarpan wrote:

People are not going to change their belief without motivation and if that person cannot find sufficient motivation in knowledge, then there is no way you are going to convince someone to change their mind. 

Knowledge actually has very little to do with motivation. That is why we have so much addiction and obesity. People have knowledge that overeating, smoking, etc... is bad for them. Feelings are what motivate not knowledge, unless it leads to better feelings.

It's all about feelings. For you, atheism feels better than theism. I think you have to convince them that atheism doesn't feel that bad. It does feel better to not have inconsistencies, guilt and fear that go with being religious.

Tarpan wrote:

2) Science can provide answers only where answers are sought.  It ignores the fact that likely the huge majority of theists are not looking for answers but are content with their answer or they are still on the search for answers.  Scientific answers and logical reasoning may provide answers, but some of those answers can take an extremely long time to find. 

In what area are answers not sought by science? It's not easy to build a space telescope, particle accelerator, electron microscope, brain scanner etc... Religion is easy satisfaction for the lazy. Humanity doesn't need to do the hard work of finding answers because we've got a holy book to explain everything we need to know. Just be an idiot waiting on Jesus to return.

Tarpan wrote:

3) As for political opinions, I think that is a really gross generalization.  Many political opinions are based on different priorities in life rather than facts.  Also, there are many different perceptions on new theories that are not based in fact.  Some people believe fundamentally that we should all fend for ourselves and be not help the least of us, some of us believe that it is a social responsibility to help the least of us, while some of us believe that everyone deserves equal regardless of what we do professionally. 

Political opinions are what people feel is justice, what is moral. There is very little room for facts, evidence, experimentation or rational conclusions. That is why arguing politics and religion so contentious, one is arguing with pure emotion. Who wins is who is the biggest bully.

Tarpan wrote:

If we based things purely on fact, we would also never see political advancement or changes.  At some point people need to agree to take a risk on a theory to prove that it is a better solution than what has been done in the past.  While a lot of people are not well informed of the facts, it is folly to assume that there are not political differences for reasons other than facts and evidence.

I've come to the conclusion that humanities problem isn't so much religion or politics but our unwillingness to look at ourselves in the mirror and admit that we see a self-serving, narcissistic, insecure, emotion driven, violent, addictive, dependent, self-delusional creature. But what else to expect from a bunch of apes?

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
1) Religious opinion is not

1) Religious opinion is not what deserves respect, but people do.  People, in this case we are talking about my wife, are capable of having a belief while researching the alternatives, becoming informed, and searching for answers.  You can choose to take the stance that they must make an immediate shift or you will insult them, or you can be respectful of their journey and their approach to seeking answers in life.  Aggression and intimidation to a mass group is great for garnering peoples attention, but aggressiveness to an individual will very rarely do anything other than put up their walls.  There is a big difference between respecting an idea and respecting a person. 

2) I didn't suggest that motivation has to do with motivation.  What I am suggesting is that motivation has everything to do with results.  If someone does not 'want' to change, they won't.  People who have a life-time of positive experiences associated are going to be hard to motivate to change their faith because there is simply no motivation on their end to invest the time, emotion, and effort into convincing themselves of an alternative belief.  If someone likes their cup of coffee and is not looking to change, it is going to be harder to get them to switch to your brand even if they do know the facts and have tried it.

3) I disagree that everything has to do with feelings.  I am not an atheist because it makes me feel better, I am an atheist despite catholicism making me feel better.  For many people their religion is not the one that makes them feel better so much as the one that aligns best with their formerly constructed perspective on the world.  For most that is what they are raised with, for some it is something else. 

4)  My comment was not to suggest that science did not seek answers, but rather the individual not seeking the answers.  Many people are simply not interested new things and those that are can take many years to educate themselves in the many different topics that religion and science touch on.

5) I disagree that politics is pure emotion.  That plays a big role in the grand scheme of things, but it is not pure emotion.  There is also simply a difference in opinion on the results of various strategies or difference in opinion on how to achieve the same goals.

I find that your responses are trying to boil all religious and political argument down to a handful or less of single world problems and that is very narrow perspective on reality and it is fairly pointless.  If you aren't willing to appreciate the complexity of what goes into faith and political opinion you obviously aren't going to be able to find a partner that has different views on life, and an even harder time having any practical difference on shifting the zeitgeist.  Atheist are in the world minority.  To run around screaming "we are right and you are all idiots" is one thing in a large group, but it is impractical and ineffective when directed at individuals.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote:3) I disagree

Tarpan wrote:

3) I disagree that everything has to do with feelings.  I am not an atheist because it makes me feel better, I am an atheist despite catholicism making me feel better.  For many people their religion is not the one that makes them feel better so much as the one that aligns best with their formerly constructed perspective on the world.  For most that is what they are raised with, for some it is something else. 

Then why not try to force yourself to be catholic again? See a hypnotist priest to see if he can help you get those good feelings again? Because it wouldn't feel right. People feel uncomfortable giving up their constructed perspective on the world, there has to be something to make them feel better. We all like to kid ourselves about being driven by reason and not our self-serving feelings.

Tarpan wrote:

5) I disagree that politics is pure emotion.  That plays a big role in the grand scheme of things, but it is not pure emotion.  There is also simply a difference in opinion on the results of various strategies or difference in opinion on how to achieve the same goals.

Have you ever wondered why in fields of science, we don't have an endless debate if something will work or if something is true? They do an experiment and determine if a drug will cure a disease, if an airplane will fly, if relativity is valid, etc... There are sincere people on the political left and right that believe their way will lower human poverty and misery. But there is rarely theories rationally debated, experiments performed and reason applied for conclusions. Why?

I believe we misunderstand what politics really is all about and it all comes back to humanity living in mass denial about who we really are as individuals and a species.

Tarpan wrote:

I find that your responses are trying to boil all religious and political argument down to a handful or less of single world problems and that is very narrow perspective on reality and it is fairly pointless.  If you aren't willing to appreciate the complexity of what goes into faith and political opinion you obviously aren't going to be able to find a partner that has different views on life, and an even harder time having any practical difference on shifting the zeitgeist.  Atheist are in the world minority.  To run around screaming "we are right and you are all idiots" is one thing in a large group, but it is impractical and ineffective when directed at individuals.

Is faith a virtue or a vice to you? Why should believing things without evidence deserve any respect? Why more so than racism, homophobia? Should I appreciate the complexities of what goes into making someone a racist if I see the damage that it does? Isn't religion by it's very nature disrespectful of atheism?

You have a point. Show them respect, but that's just it, a show. It seems one must put on an act all the time to get along with theists while the reverse is not true.

But think about this religious moderates provide cover for religious extremists, and respectful moderate atheists/agnostics provide cover for religious moderates. How does the zeitgeist ever change unless there are a few people pulling it where reason dictates it should move?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
All too true, Rich... BUT!

Rich Woods wrote:

I can't begin to tell you how many former Fundamentalist Christians are Swingers... its like they re-discover God in Hedonism....

Charles "no-name" Maddox aka Manson had a bisexual "swinger"- and occasional prostitute-of-a-mother... who was born into strict, "killjoy", fundamentalist Catholicism. She abandoned him frequently. Manson himself finished his 'journey' to life-long crime and a juvenile facility of some sort by age 11.

Ed Gein (the real-life inspiration for Buffalo Bill in "Silence of the Lambs".) had a similar experience with strict, domineering, and fundamentalist family. He thought 'being a woman' would save him from his natural, pubescent sexual desires and sin in general.

Hehehe... for that matter; most bible-thumpin' fundies would chalk this up to "sinful family" and "original sin". I dare suggest most of us RRS'ers are smart enough to know that "sin" has fuck-all to do with "breeding the future monsters", who, for all we know... might have actually been fairly normal to start out with, out of the womb!!! 

The sad thing is, there are STILL domineering and overly disciplinarian mothers in the world.

Theism most certainly is an illness.

Quote:
Submitted by Rich Woods on May 3, 2010 - 7:27am.

www.unlearnnow.com

As a more... direct response to your post: dropping the whole 'idiot bible-thumper' act does wonders for freeing one's self from asinine moral proscriptions proposed by many mainstream religions. Naturally, many former fundies are going to seek out a great deal of... sexual liberation.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't marry an

I wouldn't marry an agnostic, and certainly not a theist.

I would consider dating an agnostic, but  argument would be non-stop until she stopped asserting the cop-out 'possibility' of a god existing and took responsibility for her own intellectual honesty.

I would 'date' a theist, but only in the strictest sense of going somewhere and talking/exploring the possibility of a relationship- I would not have a genuinely romantic relationship with one (no snuggling, no kissing, etc.).  I tend to be pretty good at talking theists into becoming agnostic, though (can usually be done in one sitting, sometimes two or three; maybe an hour in a good case), and in such case, see the above.

Lapsing back into theism later is a persistent problem which quick de-converts, however.  Getting somebody all of the way to atheism is more difficult.

Absolutely no physical contact beyond handshake and hug until expression of agnosticism or atheism (that is, no contact I wouldn't do with a guy... so, pretty limited).  That's my rule thus far... keeps me honest, at least.

Atheists are far too plentiful to compromise your own long term sanity/happiness for a quick fix.

I usually bring it up right away, because I don't want to waste my time.  Maybe I *should* wait until a second or third 'date', though, for a better success rate in the 'hour long argument' part (if it improved success by 60% or so, it might be a savings over having three dates with different girls with only one staying for the whole argument).

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:I wouldn't marry

Blake wrote:

I would consider dating an agnostic, but  argument would be non-stop until she stopped asserting the cop-out 'possibility' of a god existing and took responsibility for her own intellectual honesty.

I am actually confused by this one.  Can an atheist be at the same time an agnostic?

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

Blake wrote:

I am actually confused by this one.  Can an atheist be at the same time an agnostic?

While agnostic does not directly relate to theism and I would say that most atheists are also agnostic (fear the gnostic atheist) I think this person is using the more common, while incorrect, meaning of agnostic which people often use to describe 'undecided'.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Then why not try

EXC wrote:

Then why not try to force yourself to be catholic again? See a hypnotist priest to see if he can help you get those good feelings again? Because it wouldn't feel right. People feel uncomfortable giving up their constructed perspective on the world, there has to be something to make them feel better. We all like to kid ourselves about being driven by reason and not our self-serving feelings.

I am not closed to the idea of returning to the catholic church.
They would just need to do something pretty damn remarkable to convince me in that direction.I am not an atheist due to a great opposition to the theoretical construct of god, I am an atheist simply because I don't believe that one exists.  I can't just 'choose' to believe.  I wouldn't go see a hypnotist for the same reason I don't keep myself perpetually stoned.  While being stoned would make me 'feel' better, it doesn't provide me the breadth of experience.  I am fascinated by religion and spend quite a long time researching it. Of course everyone is self-serving.  I don't kid myself about that.  We should also not kid ourselves into suggesting that faith defines every person that believes in it. Would you suggest that every theist is an idiot? I would hope not.Would you suggest that no theist deserves respect? I would hope not. Many people simply are not passionate about the topic and have chosen to accept what they were raised with and focus their time and energies on topic's that interest them.  
EXC wrote:

Have you ever wondered why in fields of science, we don't have an endless debate if something will work or if something is true? They do an experiment and determine if a drug will cure a disease, if an airplane will fly, if relativity is valid, etc... There are sincere people on the political left and right that believe their way will lower human poverty and misery. But there is rarely theories rationally debated, experiments performed and reason applied for conclusions. Why?

I believe we misunderstand what politics really is all about and it all comes back to humanity living in mass denial about who we really are as individuals and a species.

You can't simply run social experiments on large sums of people, at least not in a democratic society, without having a majority of the people buying into the experiment.  This does happen.  Progressive countries tend to experiment and push the social standard while other countries lag behind but they do seem to eventually catch up.  You can't run an experiment on millions of people in a test-tube and then show people results before asking them to support a new idea.  You need to spend a long time educating people on the ideas.  While there are a lot of other things that interfere with the political process such as selfishness and  greed, there is still those ideas being presented every day and a in many countries new political, economical, sociological, educational, health reform ideas being tested all the time. 
EXC wrote:

Is faith a virtue or a vice to you? Why should believing things without evidence deserve any respect? Why more so than racism, homophobia? Should I appreciate the complexities of what goes into making someone a racist if I see the damage that it does? Isn't religion by it's very nature disrespectful of atheism?

You have a point. Show them respect, but that's just it, a show. It seems one must put on an act all the time to get along with theists while the reverse is not true.

But think about this religious moderates provide cover for religious extremists, and respectful moderate atheists/agnostics provide cover for religious moderates. How does the zeitgeist ever change unless there are a few people pulling it where reason dictates it should move?

I do not see faith as a virtue, but faith is not a vice to all as individuals.

I believe faith is a vice to our our society as a whole.

It deserves more respect than racism and homophobia because it is not always based on hatred.  Religious does not in all individual cases cause damage.  While it does on the whole, I have already stated a clear distinction there.  You don't need to hate every individual that doesn't agree with you.

Religion is not, by it's very nature, disrespectful of atheism.  While a lot of it teaches great amounts of disrespect, not all of it does so lumping it all into the same bucket is far too general.  And, while a good portion of the ones that are disrespectful of atheism in and of itself, also teach tolerance of the atheist individuals themselves.

I don't think showing respect needs to just be a show.  

If you honestly can have no respect for any theist, then you're so far to the other end of the spectrum you are pretty much doing the exact things you claim to hate.  How is a person that hates all theists any better than a person that hates all black people or hates all homosexuals? It's not.  It's blind and unjustified.

And if you think that theists never show atheists respect, you are once again blinded by generalizations.  Be careful in your use of "all" as even in the cases of "majority" you are  looking at gigantic numbers of people that your generalizations do not apply to.

As for 'providing cover'.  I once again go back to how you treat a 'group' and how you act as a 'group' can be in a great contrast to how you treat an individual or how you as an individual represent yourself.

Dawkins can sit down with an Archbishop and have a very honest respect for the man as an individual while the same is true of the Archbishop's respect for Dawkins.  While both can be very vocal about the others beliefs and approach they can still respect each other as individuals who have contrasting beliefs and goals.

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote:While agnostic

Tarpan wrote:

While agnostic does not directly relate to theism and I would say that most atheists are also agnostic (fear the gnostic atheist) I think this person is using the more common, while incorrect, meaning of agnostic which people often use to describe 'undecided'.

Oh, thank you.

This basically confirms my understanding of agnosticism and atheism.  I thought for some time that I might be a Zen-Buddhist, which I interpreted as the highest degree of ignorance towards all religions and religious beliefs (don't ask me why I thought so, I don't know). 

Back to the the topic. Imagine, Romeo of atheists and Juliet of theists....  

Here is even better: Otello and Desdemona.   "Have you prayed tonight Desdemona?" 

It's just to illustrate that love is given to us by god to reproduce and evolve, and once upon a time an atheist might fall in love with born again.   Here by god I mean the same chain of event that led to our consciousness. 

... oh, maybe I should relax.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist wrote:I am

100percentAtheist wrote:

An agnostic is a type of atheist who is being a cop-out by labeling his or herself something that is more politically correct based on the idea that a god, as defined when people speak of 'God' in particular (which is defined enough to have a certain range of meanings in common usage), is possible.

This is a stance usually either of either ignorance, intellectual dishonesty, or just good old-fashion dishonesty.

When we speak of positive, certain atheism, we aren't speaking of certain disbelief in the alien named Zergon who visited the Earth a thousand years ago under the name of Thor and used a thunder device to frighten some humans into worshiping him for his amusement.  Zergon is possible- Zergon is not a god, but has only been mistaken for one.

When we speak of positive, certain atheism, we are speaking using a common definition of 'God' or mythical 'gods' which has certain qualities which are genuinely impossible- ontologically false.

Using any non-standard definition is a matter of dishonesty for the sake of claiming some title for political reasons.

Flailing to recognize that standard definitions of 'God' are not just unlikely, but logically impossible, is a matter of ignorance or intellectual dishonesty.

Tarpan wrote:

I am not using the wrong definition.  I am a "gnostic" atheist, if you like.

Most atheists are just atheists.  They only become agnostic when they learn the word and decide to  engage in a cop-out, or are literally unsure about things.  The only intellectually honest agnostics are the ones who really are more uncertain out of ignorance.

I'm only agnostic if you stretch the definition of 'God' to an extent that the definition itself is dishonest, and not acceptable to common usage.

Is there a teapot on the other side of the moon?  Maybe.

Is there an alien named Zergon who likes to cosplay as Thor and screw with humans?  Maybe.

Is there a 'God'.  No.

I find uncertainty to the last question unacceptable, and I wouldn't respect a girl very much if she really thought it was possible. 

Either she needs to be more informed (which is easy to accomplish), or she is being dishonest on account of having no backbone, which is something I don't find attractive. 

To me, informed agnosticism is only acceptable as a declared stance when one's life or personal safety is in danger- in such cases, it's probably just as acceptable to pretend to be a theist. 

Were I in the middle east, I would probably be "agnostic" to Allah... seeing as I could very well be beaten within an inch of my life, or murdered if I weren't.

It's unacceptable under the mere threat of social ostracization.

Of course, if you want to cop-out under threat of trivial inconveniences, that is your own decision.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
That is quite the firm

That is quite the firm position to take Blake.

Agnostic is in no way a cop-out, you have just applied a meaning to the word that is not true to the word itself.

Keep in mind that all core RRS members, Richard Dawkins, and most public vocal atheists claim to be agnostic atheists.  This is not because they are trying to cop-out, they are just being honest in the usage of the words.  It is generally not an acceptable scientific or rational stance to "know for certain" that something does not exist as it is impossible to prove that something does not exist.  You can be 99.9999999999% confident as you see no reason to believe, but that would still make you 0.0000000001% agnostic to the subject.

I recommend reading the link Am I Agnostic or Atheist? that is in the left menu.

The reason I say "fear the gnostic atheist" is that from my perspective claiming to know for certain that there is no god is as much of a blind faith comment as claiming for certain that there is a god.  I fear blind faith.  I don't believe you are a basing your opinion on blind faith, but I am also not getting the impression that you are a gnostic atheist.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote:Agnostic is in

Tarpan wrote:

Agnostic is in no way a cop-out, you have just applied a meaning to the word that is not true to the word itself.

The term was invented as a cop-out, and it's still primarily used as a cop-out.  The only place where it is not used as a cop-out is where the person applying it to his or herself is, to an extent, ignorant.

Quote:
Keep in mind that all core RRS members, Richard Dawkins, and most public vocal atheists claim to be agnostic atheists.

This is due to some notion that being open to a possibility is a mark of open mindedness, and is a good thing- and at all credible for its own sake.

That's well and fine save for the fact that it *isn't* a possibility, because the notion of the existence of this 'God' is impossible.

Most of these people are agnostic only insofar as they aren't certain what definition one is using when one is referring to a god- some gods being considered 'possible' (like a god defined as "electromagnetism"- well, obviously that exists). 

However, if we tie down the honest use of the word 'god' to standard dictionary definitions, and common usage, and only address what the question is actually in reference to (this limits us to supernatural beings of some description- and not even all supernatural beings), we can derive an honest usage of the word agnostic that simply does NOT contain this belief (e.g. electromagnetism, which is not a god).

Naturalism, in itself, is not agnostic- unless somebody really thinks the impossible is possible, in which case said person needs his or her brain examined.  Dialetheism is not an acceptable stance of a sane and intelligent individual- even upholding the possibility of dialetheism is unacceptable, as this is in itself dialetheism.

Quote:
This is not because they are trying to cop-out, they are just being honest in the usage of the words.

No, they're trying to cop-out of criticisms of closed-mindedness and arrogance from peers, and gain credibility in others' eyes.  Never mind that denying that impossible things are possible is not a mark of closed mindedness, but of sanity.

In so far as some of the more educated really believe that the way they're using the word 'agnostic' with regards to belief in deities is correct, they are fooling themselves.

Being agnostic to the alien Zergon, or electromagnetic fields possibly being considered gods in language is not being agnostic to gods- that's like saying I'm uncertain whether or not I'm a potato, because somebody might redefine potato to include me- that's how to abuse language, not how to use it.

These things are *clearly* not gods in the spirit with which the question of 'God' or even 'Gods' is asked.  In the same way I can answer definitively "no" when asked if I am a potato, I can answer definitively "no" when posed with the question of validity of the existence of gods. 

Implicitly answering the wrong question with the response of "agnostic" when you are damn well 100% sure that impossible gods do not exist is dishonest.  It is a cop-out.

If this is the case, I would readily argue with Dawkins on that point, because I think he's copping out- not from pressure from theists, but due to pressure from other 'free thinkers'.  To the extent that he has declared himself agnostic- because he's educated enough to know better- he is copping out.

Quote:
It is generally not an acceptable scientific or rational stance to "know for certain" that something does not exist as it is impossible to prove that something does not exist.

Bloody hell, are you daft?  Impossible to prove something doesn't exist?  That's the only thing it is possible to prove.

Through demonstrated logical self-contradictions, we can easily prove that something is impossible.  Being impossible proves that it doesn't exist.  Seriously, learn logic.

Now, proving that something *does* exist- that we can't really do.

All we can do is evidence that things do exist- empirically evidence them.  Empiricism is flawed, and can in some cases be mistaken.

There may be a 99.999999999% chance that the sun exists.  You can call me slightly agnostic to the sun, leaning strongly in the direction that it does exist.

I am 100% certain that 'God' does not exist.  And that's not approximating, and not rounding up.  And that involves absolutely no faith whatsoever.  It involves only having the definition of 'God', and a demonstration that it is logically impossible. 

And if you are going to say logic requires faith, you might as well stop arguing right now, since I presume you'll attempt to use this ill-conceived "logic" to do so.  Logic is the anti-thesis of faith; the only thing that can demonstrate irrefutable fact.  If there were one thought that isn't faith, it's logical deduction- without that, all things are equally faith, and the word becomes meaningless (again, see definitions, and why they are not just useful, but essential for communication).

Quote:
You can be 99.9999999999% confident as you see no reason to believe, but that would still make you 0.0000000001% agnostic to the subject.

I am not agnostic to the existence of 'God' under any reasonable or honest definition of the word.  Neither, quite likely, are you.  You're probably either ignorant or copping out.  I can help you solve the former problem- the latter is up to you.

Quote:
I recommend reading the link Am I Agnostic or Atheist? that is in the left menu.

Please, I read that when I signed up.  Mostly, I was curious as to whether this site got it right.

RRS did a pretty good job of defining the terms.

Would you like me to provide you some reading material on language, and how it does and does not work?

And by reading material, I mean something to read, and not canned banana (since you might be uncertain as to my meaning there, since apparently you think it's O.K. for people to randomly make up definitions to words and impose the new meanings retroactively onto all human language).

Quote:
The reason I say "fear the gnostic atheist" is that from my perspective claiming to know for certain that there is no god is as much of a blind faith comment as claiming for certain that there is a god.

Well, that would be an argument in favor of your severe ignorance.  Like I said, that can be fixed. 

I suspect, however, that this ignorance is both elective and willful- in most cases due to pride.  Let me know if that's not the case, and I'll try to help you recover from this affliction.

Quote:
I fear blind faith.  I don't believe you are a basing your opinion on blind faith, but I am also not getting the impression that you are a gnostic atheist.

Blind faith is faith in spite of evidence.  If there were evidence of 'God', then atheism would be blind faith.

100% certainty that 'God' does not exist couldn't be blind faith unless you are advancing the proposition that there is actually evidence for 'God'.  If so, please do tell.

100% certainty of atheism would be ordinary run-of-the-mill faith IF there wasn't logical proof against the very definition of 'God'.

Given the proof, it has nothing whatsoever to do with faith.

"Gnostic" has quite a bit of baggage with it, related to gnosticism, which is an old and reviving religion (arguably the religion from which Christianity evolved).  It refers to spiritual knowledge, and I would tend to say the idea itself is incoherent- there is nothing there to know, except for that none of it exists. 

I am a strict naturalist, and militant positive atheist.

I do know 100% that 'God' does not exist.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
I noticed this thread is getting derailed into... philosophy...

... and I took a greater interest in it.

Tarpan wrote:

That is quite the firm position to take Blake.

Interestingly enough, any religion that lacks a deity figure of any sort is essentially atheist by strict definition. This means anyone that holds "spirituality over religion" is, essentially atheist. Anyone that cast spells or performs "Black Mass" is, by definition, atheist. Anyone who participates in certain Buddhist Meditation Groups is, in effect, atheist.

Atheist is simply a modifier of "no belief in God". (I remember having this discussion with neptewn back in late Feb.)

Quote:
Keep in mind that all core RRS members, Richard Dawkins, and most public vocal atheists claim to be agnostic atheists.  This is not because they are trying to cop-out, they are just being honest in the usage of the words.  It is generally not an acceptable scientific or rational stance to "know for certain" that something does not exist as it is impossible to prove that something does not exist.  You can be 99.9999999999% confident as you see no reason to believe, but that would still make you 0.0000000001% agnostic to the subject.

Uncertain Knowledge- "It is a bitch"

Quote:

Sorry... that link never did shit for me except allow me to hear Jake's Voice. He seems like a really neat guy, btw. A shame he isn't to be found somewhere in my family tree, etc, etc, etc.

Quote:
The reason I say "fear the gnostic atheist" is that from my perspective claiming to know for certain that there is no god is as much of a blind faith comment as claiming for certain that there is a god.  I fear blind faith.  I don't believe you are a basing your opinion on blind faith, but I am also not getting the impression that you are a gnostic atheist.

That's a lot like saying "He who increases knowledge, increases sorrow". "Knowledgeable" and/or "gnostic" isn't a problem in 'Atheist Activism' UNTIL you consider 'How theists view us'. They will view, either consciously or subconsciously, all "gnostic" atheists as little else besides spoiled, egotistical "Children of the Lord" who are made cynical and burnt-out simply for the fact that they were forced to go to church (or some other BS.)

This is what the bible-thumping propaganda spewers are saying about us on their private chatrooms, echo-chambered theistic messageboards, and so forth. And what's worse, many of these asinine Christian "flapping jaws" adopt a martyrdom complex when confronted on their BS views about cultural morality, nuclear families, "sin", "good vs. evil", and what have you.

If there were a way to fix the 'image problem' with Atheism, it would probably start with portraying Atheists as 'happier' with their current belief system, as opposed to "dreadful sinners trying to evade an angry and vengeful God!!!". (Because, as we all know, Xtians LOVE to grossly oversimplify the positions and viewpoints of their verbal opponents!)

Thank you, that is all. *bows*

edit#1; I bungled my own hotlink. :facepalm: Edit#2; editting posts is HARD

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Tarpan

Blake wrote:

Tarpan wrote:

The term was invented as a cop-out, and it's still primarily used as a cop-out.  The only place where it is not used as a cop-out is where the person applying it to his or herself is, to an extent, ignorant.

Quote:
Keep in mind that all core RRS members, Richard Dawkins, and most public vocal atheists claim to be agnostic atheists.

This is due to some notion that being open to a possibility is a mark of open mindedness, and is a good thing- and at all credible for its own sake.

That's well and fine save for the fact that it *isn't* a possibility, because the notion of the existence of this 'God' is impossible.

Most of these people are agnostic only insofar as they aren't certain what definition one is using when one is referring to a god- some gods being considered 'possible' (like a god defined as "electromagnetism"- well, obviously that exists). 

However, if we tie down the honest use of the word 'god' to standard dictionary definitions, and common usage, and only address what the question is actually in reference to (this limits us to supernatural beings of some description- and not even all supernatural beings), we can derive an honest usage of the word agnostic that simply does NOT contain this belief (e.g. electromagnetism, which is not a god).

Naturalism, in itself, is not agnostic- unless somebody really thinks the impossible is possible, in which case said person needs his or her brain examined.  Dialetheism is not an acceptable stance of a sane and intelligent individual- even upholding the possibility of dialetheism is unacceptable, as this is in itself dialetheism.

Quote:
This is not because they are trying to cop-out, they are just being honest in the usage of the words.

No, they're trying to cop-out of criticisms of closed-mindedness and arrogance from peers, and gain credibility in others' eyes.  Never mind that denying that impossible things are possible is not a mark of closed mindedness, but of sanity.

In so far as some of the more educated really believe that the way they're using the word 'agnostic' with regards to belief in deities is correct, they are fooling themselves.

Being agnostic to the alien Zergon, or electromagnetic fields possibly being considered gods in language is not being agnostic to gods- that's like saying I'm uncertain whether or not I'm a potato, because somebody might redefine potato to include me- that's how to abuse language, not how to use it.

These things are *clearly* not gods in the spirit with which the question of 'God' or even 'Gods' is asked.  In the same way I can answer definitively "no" when asked if I am a potato, I can answer definitively "no" when posed with the question of validity of the existence of gods. 

Implicitly answering the wrong question with the response of "agnostic" when you are damn well 100% sure that impossible gods do not exist is dishonest.  It is a cop-out.

If this is the case, I would readily argue with Dawkins on that point, because I think he's copping out- not from pressure from theists, but due to pressure from other 'free thinkers'.  To the extent that he has declared himself agnostic- because he's educated enough to know better- he is copping out.

Quote:
It is generally not an acceptable scientific or rational stance to "know for certain" that something does not exist as it is impossible to prove that something does not exist.

Bloody hell, are you daft?  Impossible to prove something doesn't exist?  That's the only thing it is possible to prove.

Through demonstrated logical self-contradictions, we can easily prove that something is impossible.  Being impossible proves that it doesn't exist.  Seriously, learn logic.

Now, proving that something *does* exist- that we can't really do.

All we can do is evidence that things do exist- empirically evidence them.  Empiricism is flawed, and can in some cases be mistaken.

There may be a 99.999999999% chance that the sun exists.  You can call me slightly agnostic to the sun, leaning strongly in the direction that it does exist.

I am 100% certain that 'God' does not exist.  And that's not approximating, and not rounding up.  And that involves absolutely no faith whatsoever.  It involves only having the definition of 'God', and a demonstration that it is logically impossible. 

And if you are going to say logic requires faith, you might as well stop arguing right now, since I presume you'll attempt to use this ill-conceived "logic" to do so.  Logic is the anti-thesis of faith; the only thing that can demonstrate irrefutable fact.  If there were one thought that isn't faith, it's logical deduction- without that, all things are equally faith, and the word becomes meaningless (again, see definitions, and why they are not just useful, but essential for communication).

Quote:
You can be 99.9999999999% confident as you see no reason to believe, but that would still make you 0.0000000001% agnostic to the subject.

I am not agnostic to the existence of 'God' under any reasonable or honest definition of the word.  Neither, quite likely, are you.  You're probably either ignorant or copping out.  I can help you solve the former problem- the latter is up to you.

Quote:

Please, I read that when I signed up.  Mostly, I was curious as to whether this site got it right.

RRS did a pretty good job of defining the terms.

Would you like me to provide you some reading material on language, and how it does and does not work?

And by reading material, I mean something to read, and not canned banana (since you might be uncertain as to my meaning there, since apparently you think it's O.K. for people to randomly make up definitions to words and impose the new meanings retroactively onto all human language).

Quote:
The reason I say "fear the gnostic atheist" is that from my perspective claiming to know for certain that there is no god is as much of a blind faith comment as claiming for certain that there is a god.

Well, that would be an argument in favor of your severe ignorance.  Like I said, that can be fixed. 

I suspect, however, that this ignorance is both elective and willful- in most cases due to pride.  Let me know if that's not the case, and I'll try to help you recover from this affliction.

Quote:
I fear blind faith.  I don't believe you are a basing your opinion on blind faith, but I am also not getting the impression that you are a gnostic atheist.

Blind faith is faith in spite of evidence.  If there were evidence of 'God', then atheism would be blind faith.

100% certainty that 'God' does not exist couldn't be blind faith unless you are advancing the proposition that there is actually evidence for 'God'.  If so, please do tell.

100% certainty of atheism would be ordinary run-of-the-mill faith IF there wasn't logical proof against the very definition of 'God'.

Given the proof, it has nothing whatsoever to do with faith.

"Gnostic" has quite a bit of baggage with it, related to gnosticism, which is an old and reviving religion (arguably the religion from which Christianity evolved).  It refers to spiritual knowledge, and I would tend to say the idea itself is incoherent- there is nothing there to know, except for that none of it exists. 

I am a strict naturalist, and militant positive atheist.

I do know 100% that 'God' does not exist.

Throwing around insults like ignorance, daft, and implying that someone needs to read up on the proper use of language indicates that you are frustrated about something. Are you frustrated? We are all here to share opinions and ideas and thoughts, no need to resort to snarky comments.

Geesh!

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's more fun being an anti

It's more fun being an anti theist.

I have been under the impression that an agnostic is one who is not sure and is waiting for some proof of a god. I could not do this myself because for me the evidence says I would be waiting untill well past my death. I just don't seem to have that kind of time

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:It's more fun

robj101 wrote:

I have been under the impression that an agnostic is one who is not sure and is waiting for some proof of a god. I could not do this myself because for me the evidence says I would be waiting untill well past my death. I just don't seem to have that kind of time

I don't know if there is God because I don't really care.  ... and you know, this is one of a very few things of which I am probably proud to be ignorant.  Smiling  This i probably why I am also an agnostic.  I don't care to search for a proof of existence or nonexistence of God.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

Throwing around insults like ignorance, daft, and implying that someone needs to read up on the proper use of language indicates that you are frustrated about something. Are you frustrated? We are all here to share opinions and ideas and thoughts, no need to resort to snarky comments.

Geesh!

Snark is the spice of life.

He *does* need to read up on use of language- we can't be hesitant about using words because some day somebody might redefine the word based on personal whim.

Are you a potato? 

If you aren't sure because you think you really might be a conscious spud experiencing a delusion, that's fine.  If you're not sure because you think somebody might redefine "potato" to include humans, that's not fine.

No, it's not O.K. to abuse language, or accuse others of having blind faith because of one's personal abuse of language.

FYI, he started it by issuing a serious insult to all positive atheists, and he has more than demonstrated his profound ignorance on the subject.

And I didn't call him daft- I asked if he was.  It would explain quite a bit.

I'm not being mean- I don't dislike Tarpan; I'm sure he's an alright fellow, but he needs to stop being a dunce on this subjet.  I'm *trying* to educate him so he can stop being so insulting to knowledge- he is being resistant.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I don't know if there is God because I don't really care.  ... and you know, this is one of a very few things of which I am probably proud to be ignorant.  Smiling  This i probably why I am also an agnostic.  I don't care to search for a proof of existence or nonexistence of God. 

I assume you are concerned about religion in general then? If so I would contend that a "god" as the driving force of most religion is the heart of the matter. If there is no "god" it make religion...beyond pointless. It exposes it as the needless mind numbing poison it so blatantly propogates. If there "were" a god, then we should all be abjectly scraping forehead to floor in submission and deference. Even though "heaven" doesn't really sound all that awesome really... Sounds like another definition of "boredom".

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
For Tarpan, I'm not sure

For Tarpan, I'm not sure anyone hates anyone in particular, I think we are mostly talking about the things people believe in. If they believe in a flying man that does magic, and they push it on children, I don't like it. It doesn't mean I hate the person, I hate their "plan", by default that may well mean I have an immediate prejudice toward said person for propogating this, but I wouldn't call it  "hate". Misguided as a term comes to mind. But it's hard to say you don't like what someone thinks without having that same person in the mix somehow.

I hate when anyone comes to my door to sell me religion. I don't hate the person, just what they stand for, I hope thats clear.

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Blake

Blake wrote:

100percentAtheist wrote:

An agnostic is a type of atheist who is being a cop-out by labeling his or herself something that is more politically correct based on the idea that a god, as defined when people speak of 'God' in particular (which is defined enough to have a certain range of meanings in common usage), is possible.

This is a stance usually either of either ignorance, intellectual dishonesty, or just good old-fashion dishonesty.

Flailing to recognize that standard definitions of 'God' are not just unlikely, but logically impossible, is a matter of ignorance or intellectual dishonesty.

Blake,

This resembles me my discussion with believers, 99% of whom were absolutely unable to understand the difference between: 

1) "I do not believe in gods" and

2) "I believe there is no God".

If you choose #2 and even reinforce it with "I know there is no God", then the burden of proof is on you.  I am positive that this is a bankrupt approach to discuss religion with theists.  

When you are saying that "standard definitions of 'God' are not just unlikely, but logically impossible" do you keep in mind that you might be asked to give a standard detailed definition of ... human.  Remember, you will be also asked to define (in a standard way) human's character and behavior. Smiling

If you have a complete bulletproof logical evidence that God does not exist, I would be very interested to see it.  The argument that you can't define God does not work well because all I mean by god here is something (etwas, thing) that consciously set the physics laws for the universe and "hit enter button". 

Maybe I am wrong, but I think that people who claim that they KNOW there is no God(s) are very vulnerable to the conversion to theism.

Best,

100% + some_agnostic > 100% Smiling

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist, does not believe in

Atheist, does not believe in god, gods or the supernatural.

Agnostic is just not sure, basicly a skeptic waiting for answers.

Anti theist is confident there is no god or gods or supernatural.

Theist believes in god or gods and or the supernatural, I throw supernatural in there because well, a god would be supernatural eh?

Just the way I see it.

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:I assume you

robj101 wrote:

I assume you are concerned about religion in general then? If so I would contend that a "god" as the driving force of most religion is the heart of the matter. If there is no "god" it make religion...beyond pointless. It exposes it as the needless mind numbing poison it so blatantly propogates. If there "were" a god, then we should all be abjectly scraping forehead to floor in submission and deference. Even though "heaven" doesn't really sound all that awesome really... Sounds like another definition of "boredom".

1) As you mentioned it in your next post, you are concerned about someone trying to sell you religion.  I don't think you really care what their gospel says about god (even they may not know this).  Learning about ALL their gods is maybe fun if you really like religion history or philosophy. In general, it's not for me.

2) Of course, I am very concerned about religion, especially about churches and smiling people with guns and rifles around who try and can't figure it out what church are we going to on Sundays. 

3) "If there is no "god" it make religion...beyond pointless"  I completely agree with you on this one, but have you EVER seen a Christian who would believe your straight arguments about his God and who would then proclaim himself a non-believer?  Also, specific discussion about a God requires a good knowledge of the gospel.  If you had been a christian before, you might know the gospel.  I could not read the Bible, it's boring.  It is likely now though that I will have to read the Bible etc. to be better prepared to protect me and my family. 

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Atheist, does

robj101 wrote:

Theist believes in god or gods and or the supernatural, I throw supernatural in there because well, a god would be supernatural eh?

Just the way I see it.

This is exactly what I am not quite sure about.  Have you read about agnosticism at 

http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutagnosticism/a/atheism.htm

"Once it is understood that atheism is merely the absence of belief in any gods, 

it becomes evident that agnosticism is not, as many assume, a “third way” between 

atheism and theism. The presence of a belief in a god and the absence of a belief 

in a god exhaust all of the possibilities. Agnosticism is not about belief in god 

but about knowledge — it was coined originally to describe the position of a 

person who could not claim to know for sure if any gods exist or not.

Thus, it is clear that agnosticism is compatible with both theism and atheism. 

A person can believe in a god (theism) without claiming to know for sure if that 

god exists; the result is agnostic theism. On the other hand, a person can 

disbelieve in gods (atheism) without claiming to know for sure that no gods can or 

do exist; the result is agnostic atheism."

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

robj101 wrote:

1) As you mentioned it in your next post, you are concerned about someone trying to sell you religion.  I don't think you really care what their gospel says about god (even they may not know this).  Learning about ALL their gods is maybe fun if you really like religion history or philosophy. In general, it's not for me.

2) Of course, I am very concerned about religion, especially about churches and smiling people with guns and rifles around who try and can't figure it out what church are we going to on Sundays. 

3) "If there is no "god" it make religion...beyond pointless"  I completely agree with you on this one, but have you EVER seen a Christian who would believe your straight arguments about his God and who would then proclaim himself a non-believer?  Also, specific discussion about a God requires a good knowledge of the gospel.  If you had been a christian before, you might know the gospel.  I could not read the Bible, it's boring.  It is likely now though that I will have to read the Bible etc. to be better prepared to protect me and my family. 

The bible is far from boring, but it is not a happy read, nor is it particularly clever. However I would highly reccomend reading it in full with an open mind even. As you read keep in mind that most people who claim christianity have not read it themselves, they rely on their pastor to read selected verses for them at church, and then listen to his "interpretations". I used to "religiously" (lol) watch the church program which is broadcast live here from the 20million dollar local southern baptist church. Very entertaining to watch the pastor twist words around to suit him, and his congregation eats it up.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Just the way I see it.

This is exactly what I am not quite sure about.  Have you read about agnosticism at 

http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutagnosticism/a/atheism.htm

"Once it is understood that atheism is merely the absence of belief in any gods, 

it becomes evident that agnosticism is not, as many assume, a “third way” between 

atheism and theism. The presence of a belief in a god and the absence of a belief 

in a god exhaust all of the possibilities. Agnosticism is not about belief in god 

but about knowledge — it was coined originally to describe the position of a 

person who could not claim to know for sure if any gods exist or not.

Thus, it is clear that agnosticism is compatible with both theism and atheism. 

A person can believe in a god (theism) without claiming to know for sure if that 

god exists; the result is agnostic theism. On the other hand, a person can 

disbelieve in gods (atheism) without claiming to know for sure that no gods can or 

do exist; the result is agnostic atheism."

That pretty much fits my short description of an agnostic, yea. A skeptic waiting for answers.

100percentAtheist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
robj101

robj101 wrote:

100percentAtheist wrote:

robj101 wrote:

1) Atheist, does not believe in god, gods or the supernatural.

2) Agnostic is just not sure, basicly a skeptic waiting for answers.

3) Anti theist is confident there is no god or gods or supernatural.

Just the way I see it.

That pretty much fits my short description of an agnostic, yea. A skeptic waiting for answers.

So, can I be #1&#2 at the same time?