Does God Exist? Shermer v. Howe Debate

humblesmith
User is offlineOffline
Does God Exist? Shermer v. Howe Debate

Sorry for the late notice, but there is an online debate tonight between Michael Shermer and Richard Howe. Details are here:

http://northeast.churchforallnations.com/site/?page_id=388

You can watch for only $5, details here:

https://store.churchforallnations.com/site/?page_id=3

I looked for an announcement or link on Shermer's site but found nothing.

As background, Michael Shermer is founder of Skeptic magazine, published author and well-known speaker. He'll take the "No" side. Richard Howe is a Christian apologist, seminary professor, and author. This should be lively, as both men are well-educated on their topics.

And if anyone has any doubts, I have no financial interest in this at all, other than paying my $5 like everybody else. I just thought it would be interesting to the folks on this board.  If anyone watches, I'd be interested to know your evaluation of the debate.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is this guy a Creationist?

Is this guy a Creationist?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

humblesmith
User is offlineOffline
He likely believes in

He likely believes in creation, but I don't know exactly what he believes about origins. I know he's very well read on atheism, since he's responded to many atheist books. 

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well humblesmith, that would

Well humblesmith, that would count as a nice find.  The only thing is that one must donate to a church to get in.  That I am not going to do.  However, if it gets seen by pretty much anyone with an HTPC, it should all end up on youtube in a day or so.

While we are all waiting for that to happen, here is a great Shermer clip that I found a few weeks ago.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr. Deity is the best!

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well humblesmith, that would count as a nice find.  The only thing is that one must donate to a church to get in.  That I am not going to do.  However, if it gets seen by pretty much anyone with an HTPC, it should all end up on youtube in a day or so.

While we are all waiting for that to happen, here is a great Shermer clip that I found a few weeks ago.

Too bad about the ads.  But his earlier clips don't have.  Check it out: http://www.mrdeity.com/

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like the "High five"Mr.

I like the "High five"

Mr. Deity, "Completely inappropriate"

And

"We could use a science adviser, I don't know anything about that stuff".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.youtube.com/user/m

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I love the Mr. Deities

I love the Mr. Deities with Lucy, especially the "magic" ones where she tries to explain to him that it is all a trick.

Just the way she looks at him with the "face palm" "you are an idiot" look.

AND she is not bad on the eyes. There is nothing hotter to me than a hot atheist woman.

In any case guys, it is a comfort to know that even in my bible belt island I am not alone. From all those mentioned in this thread, to every open person, to every author, to every website, and even down to mere posters, IT HELPS, every bit helps.

Don't think you are alone. Speak out, be it a video on the net, or letter to the local paper, or elected official. You don't have to own a website or write a book. Just say something. Let the world know we exist and that we won't be marginalized.

Our voices are growing, but it doesn't stop with one book or one post or one website. This is a long term generational fight that must be fought in the arena of the free market of ideas. In any case the theists need not fear atheists. This is not a call to fascism or oppression of those who hold religious beliefs. Just a call to atheists to challenge set norms to get humanity to think outside the box. And a conformation that atheists ARE NOT bad people or evil. It is never to late to get involved. It is never to small to say something in any venue.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: I love the

Brian37 wrote:

I love the Mr. Deities with Lucy, especially the "magic" ones where she tries to explain to him that it is all a trick.

Just the way she looks at him with the "face palm" "you are an idiot" look.

AND she is not bad on the eyes. There is nothing hotter to me than a hot atheist woman.

In any case guys, it is a comfort to know that even in my bible belt island I am not alone. From all those mentioned in this thread, to every open person, to every author, to every website, and even down to mere posters, IT HELPS, every bit helps.

Don't think you are alone. Speak out, be it a video on the net, or letter to the local paper, or elected official. You don't have to own a website or write a book. Just say something. Let the world know we exist and that we won't be marginalized.

Our voices are growing, but it doesn't stop with one book or one post or one website. This is a long term generational fight that must be fought in the arena of the free market of ideas. In any case the theists need not fear atheists. This is not a call to fascism or oppression of those who hold religious beliefs. Just a call to atheists to challenge set norms to get humanity to think outside the box. And a conformation that atheists ARE NOT bad people or evil. It is never to late to get involved. It is never to small to say something in any venue.

One would think people would listen to one who spoke using rational thought rather than that which stems from emotional religious thinking. But that is just not a reality ...yet.

So I agree completely with you.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
Michael Shermer i do like  

Michael Shermer i do like