Was there ever an Atheist who had the title "Great" in their name?

Dmasterman
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Was there ever an Atheist who had the title "Great" in their name?

While in an argument with a theist, he claimed that atheists can be discredited as there are no atheists with the "Great" title in it (Alexander the Great ,Constantine the great etc). We know of other "Great" title holders, but I don't know if there is one that was an Atheist.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is a bull crap

It is a bull crap argument.  Just because someone put a word in some place does not mean anything.

How about Ernest Hemmingway the Great?  He was Great and he was an atheist.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
At least one of those

guys and probably both of them are megalomaniacs. Alexander was a warmonger, despite his finer qualities. Visit this site for a list of some worthy atheists.

http://brainz.org/50-most-brilliant-atheists-all-time/

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
(no subject)

Just about all of World History's VIPs could have been considered suitheists, and could have been considered paying only lip service to any known God or Gods. These were egomaniacal individuals* who saw little to no use in Theism accept out of playing 'political chess'.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Me   

Me

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
RE: Allison

"I am zhe greatest great person to have ever lived... greatly. Zhank you, zhat is all. *bows*"

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hard to tell

Catherine the Great of Russia may be close:

Wikiipedia wrote:

Catherine's apparent whole-hearted adoption of things Russian (including Orthodoxy) may have prompted her personal indifference to religion.[5] She did not allow dissenters to build chapels, and she suppressed religious dissent after the onset of the French Revolution.[5] Politically, Catherine exploited Christianity in her anti-Ottoman policy, promoting the protection and fostering of Christians under Turkish rule.[5] She placed strictures on Roman Catholics (ukaz of 23 February 1769), mainly Polish, and attempted to assert and extend state control over them in the wake of the partitions of Poland.[6] Nevertheless, Catherine's Russia provided an asylum and a base for re-grouping to the Society of Jesus following the suppression of the Jesuits in most of Europe in 1773.[6]

I read her memoirs when I was in high school.  Long enough ago I don't remember a heck of a lot - except the games played by her, her ladies, and her guards on her curtained bed in winter when it was too cold to even leave the room.....

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're a funny bastard, Kap.

Kapkao wrote:

"I am zhe greatest great person to have ever lived... greatly. Zhank you, zhat is all. *bows*"

Where do you come up with this stuff?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

other message boards, incanhascheeseburger.com, sphincters of the Web in general, Internet Relay Chat, etc...

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao

Kapkao wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

other message boards, incanhascheeseburger.com, sphincters of the Web in general, Internet Relay Chat, etc...

since this thread is being quickly derailed anyway, i've always wondered: since when are cats supposed to like cheeseburgers so much?

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:since this

iwbiek wrote:

since this thread is being quickly derailed anyway, i've always wondered: since when are cats supposed to like cheeseburgers so much?

A vaild question. Mine wouldn't eat filet mignon if I put cheese on it. He'll eat a pigeon though.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Dmasterman wrote:While in an

Dmasterman wrote:

While in an argument with a theist, he claimed that atheists can be discredited as there are no atheists with the "Great" title in it (Alexander the Great ,Constantine the great etc). We know of other "Great" title holders, but I don't know if there is one that was an Atheist.

Wouldn't worry about it. There are also no atheists with titles like "the Sluggard", "the Fat", "the Fratricide", "the Bastard", "the Cabbage", "the Crazy", "the Cross-eyed", "the Wicked", "the Trembling", "the Be-shitter", etc...

(As for Alexander "the Great", that was just Bagoas' nickname for him)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:iwbiek

Anonymouse wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

A vaild question. Mine wouldn't eat filet mignon if I put cheese on it. He'll eat a pigeon though.

Let me guess -you and your cat live somewhere in the Commonwealth territories.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Let me guess

Kapkao wrote:

I wish.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Kapkao

Anonymouse wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

I wish.

Aw, shit! Forgot what time it is -and of course what time would be in in most of Oceania.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:iwbiek

Anonymouse wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

We used to have a cat that would climb your frame for vegetarian pizza.  And later, one that liked raw pumpkin.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.