Poor Catholic Pope subject to "atheist inquisition".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Poor Catholic Pope subject to "atheist inquisition".

I love the title of this article. Hitchens and Dawkins are not the ones who molested kids. The CATHOLIC KIDS AND CATHOLIC PARENTS WENT TO THE CHURCH WITH THE ACCUSATIONS. All Hitchens and Dawkins are doing is pointing out the fact that this happened and challenged the west to do something about it.

HAVING SAID THAT, as much as the accusations might be true, the climate of the culture of western society, RIGHT NOW, wont produce the results Hitchens is looking for. The Pope is too big of a target with too many fans and IF it did happen, which it wont, but if his arrest did happen, it would create a theist backlash against atheists.

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/site/article/8526/

But to call what Hitchens is doing an "inquisition" is outright bull shit. The real Inquisitions were not based on any actual crime, but the paranoia of the Church and any challenge to it's absolute power.

Hitchens did not molest the kids. Hitchens did not protect someone accused of molesting kids. How you can call, "This happened, what are you going to do about it" an inquisition, is absurd.

Unlike the monsters who perpetuated the REAL Inquisition, if brought to court, Hitchens wouldn't be manufacturing his own evidence, but independent lawyers would be SHOWING  a court what OTHER CATHOLICS AND THEIR CATHOLIC KIDS were accusing the priest of. Atheists didn't commit these actions. This happened within the ranks of Catholics flocks.

The Inquisition wasn't about justice or facts, it was about protecting the honor of the Church blindly. Hitchens isn't protecting the honor of atheists, he is merely pointing out what is written on paper BY CATHOLICS within their own ranks.

So unless this dipshit is going to accuse Hitchens of making up 200 accusations, WRITTEN AND DOCUMENTED BY CATHOLICS, he is falsely calling it something it is not.

Unlike the Pops of the Inquisition Hitchens isn't suggesting a rack or tourture for a confession. He is suggesting doing what civil society does with the accused,  A COURT! Something the Church never gave the accused in the Inquisition. The Pope today would be given more rights than the Popes of the past gave their victims.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Earth to xtians: WAKE THE FUCK UP ALREADY!

VICTIM MENTALITY=VICTIM REALITY

AKA Martyrdom Complexes

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Title of the article:  "The

Title of the article:  "

The Secular Inquisition

The campaign to arrest the pope is the product of an increasingly desperate secularism, which can only find meaning through ridiculing the religious."

I don't think it is desperation, I think it is because secularists smell blood in the water over this.  The Catholics have taken a *huge* hit to their reputation over the abuse scandals and people are taking advantage of it.

The recently released international policy from the Vatican states that when abuse is found it must be reported to secular authorities.  That alone is a huge victory, getting the church to bow before the rule of law is a big deal.  I don't think most people would make a big deal about the abuse (the church is big, statistically it is bound to happen) if it weren't for the cover-your-ass stuff they pulled.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist inquisition?I don't

Secular inquisition? Sounds a bit different from Catholic inquisition.

I don't recall that the Pope has been stretched on the rack, or hanged, or had his whole family burned at the stake.  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Hmm, maybe I was wrong about

Hmm, maybe I was wrong about this being secularists at all.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/13/massachusetts.priest.pope/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

cnn wrote:
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts (CNN) -- The phones are ringing off the hook at the parish of St. Michael's Church, where the Rev. James Scahill called in a sermon last weekend for the pope to resign over the church's sexual abuse scandal.

Pope Benedict XVI has found himself tied to the crisis after news broke last month that 30 years ago, when he was an archbishop, he approved accommodations in his diocese for a priest accused of child sex abuse so the priest could undergo therapy.

The priest, who was not identified, was let go from church service in 2008, according to church officials in Germany.

"If he can't take the consequences of being truthful on this matter, his integrity should lead him, for the good of the church, to step down and to have the conclave of cardinals elect a pope with the understanding that the elected pope would be willing to take on this issue, not just in promise," Scahill said.

His church has received more than 100 emails and dozens of calls, of which only two were negative, Sister Betty Braughan said.

Scahill, a longtime critic of the sexual abuse crisis in the church, said the Vatican is responsible for the controversy and believes that it is wrong to blame the media for perpetuating the scandal.

"I have met with countless victims of abuse. I have lives I can relate this to, and you know anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows the media has not created this scandal," he said. "The institutional church has brought this onto themselves."

The priest complimented the church on its programs for better protection of children over the past eight years but added, "The last temptation, the greatest treason, is to do the right thing for the wrong reason."

The church took action after years of sexual abuse only because it had been exposed through the media, Scahill said.

Although he has received great support from his parishioners, he admits it has been hard to speak out against the church and the pope.

"This has not been a healthy thing for me. It's a lot of stress, but I believe the truth needs to be spoken, and I believe the people want to hear the truth and [that] they are sick of the smoke and mirror approach."

Bishop Timothy McDonnell, whose diocese includes Scahill's parish, said it was a sad irony that Scahill gave his sermon on Divine Mercy Sunday, "a day on which the church throughout the world re-affirms Christ's forgiveness, reconciliation and mercy towards all his followers."

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
>:) If I may be allowed to preach to my fellow antitheists

mellestad wrote:

I don't think it is desperation, I think it is because secularists smell blood in the water over this.  The Catholics have taken a *huge* hit to their reputation over the abuse scandals and people are taking advantage of it.

"Our natural philosophy is born of the wolf, not of the sheep"

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is the most convoluted

This is the most convoluted perfidy I have ever heard in my life...

While we're at it... why don't the Nazi's file suit with the U.N for reparations?