Atheism a joke according to this guy.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheism a joke according to this guy.

http://www.sunherald.com/2010/04/09/2088714/usm-professor-responds-to-new.html

But read the immediate responses, the first one is a total bitch slap. Nice to see atheists on the net combating absurdity like this.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheism is a challenge to the status quo

Ironic given that theism is a tradition of not being able to laugh at oneself for believing in fairy tales.

Remember how you figured out there is no Santa? Well, their god is just like Santa. They just haven’t figured out he’s not real yet.

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
USM Professor Emeritus

USM Professor Emeritus Clayton Sullivan wrote:

First, it is impossible for the human mind to think about that which does not exist (the non-existent). Atheists deny God’s existence and then curiously launch into extensive discussions about God.

Santa Claus doesn't exist therefore I can't think about Santa.  The starship Enterprise from the 24th Century doesn't exist yet (maybe one day it will! Sticking out tongue) so Sullivan's statement is that I can't think about it.  The idea of these fictional things exist, but the things themselves do not.  Just because I can imagine something doesn't mean that it is real.  Has Sullivan ever heard of the idea of evidence.  It exists.

Remember how you figured out there is no Santa? Well, their god is just like Santa. They just haven’t figured out he’s not real yet.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
TomJ wrote:USM Professor

TomJ wrote:

USM Professor Emeritus Clayton Sullivan wrote:

First, it is impossible for the human mind to think about that which does not exist (the non-existent). Atheists deny God’s existence and then curiously launch into extensive discussions about God.

Santa Claus doesn't exist therefore I can't think about Santa.  The starship Enterprise from the 24th Century doesn't exist yet (maybe one day it will! Sticking out tongue) so Sullivan's statement is that I can't think about it.  The idea of these fictional things exist, but the things themselves do not.  Just because I can imagine something doesn't mean that it is real.  Has Sullivan ever heard of the idea of evidence.  It exists.

It is a statement for the masses, most people are stupid enough to not get it, for them it is solid.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
ROFLMFAO, by this logic,

ROFLMFAO, by this logic, anything we are capable of thinking about exists. In my high school, I was taught about greek mythology. The very fact that my high school talked about it means that my high school taught me that greek mythology is true. However, it is illegal for the public high school to promote a religious belief as correct. I should sue my high school.

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
That article made me lose 5

That article made me lose 5 IQ points.

Is this what theists have been reduced to?  Really?

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's this "New Atheism"

What's this "New Atheism" stuff the fool talks about? Anyone?