April 15th, Official Asskickery Day

atomicdogg34
atheist
atomicdogg34's picture
User is offlineOffline
April 15th, Official Asskickery Day

gonna be a glorious day for me

one of the local churches here is going to be holding a "Creation Presentation" an hour of presentation followed by an hour of Q&A

i will be in attendance, and I'm coming intellectually armed, my goal is to make the presentor break down into tears of defeat

ill let you all know how it goes, maybe i can get the Q&A session on audio or something

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Please...

Take an recorder of some kind. I always love seeing Creanderthals get whats coming to them.

atomicdogg34
atheist
atomicdogg34's picture
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:Take an

B166ER wrote:

Take an recorder of some kind. I always love seeing Creanderthals get whats coming to them.

im bringing my digicam, see if i can get some pics of the exhibits and shit, its got an audio recorder function on it so i may use that

whatever i get ill try and post it

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
April 30th- BETTER asskicker's day!

Walpurgisnacht!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
atomicdogg34 wrote:gonna be

atomicdogg34 wrote:

one of the local churches here is going to be holding a "Creation Presentation" an hour of presentation followed by an hour of Q&A

i will be in attendance, and I'm coming intellectually armed, my goal is to make the presentor break down into tears of defeat

ill let you all know how it goes, maybe i can get the Q&A session on audio or something

Be careful, I wouldn't go alone. And if the ask you to leave, which is most likely, don't cause a fuss.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

atomicdogg34
atheist
atomicdogg34's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:atomicdogg34

Brian37 wrote:

atomicdogg34 wrote:

Be careful, I wouldn't go alone. And if the ask you to leave, which is most likely, don't cause a fuss.

i am going alone, no one i know really as interested in it as much as i am, but not like i'm scared of anything happeneing, if it did, it would only work in my favor

if they ask me to leave i will, but that again would only work in my favor, as itd prove that they are cowards

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you want to make a game of it

http://skeptico.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/23/id_bingo_card_65_inch_wide_2.jpg

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:That Bingo card

B166ER wrote:

http://skeptico.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/23/id_bingo_card_65_inch_wide_2.jpg

That Bingo card leaves one important square out:

"Lamb power!"

edit; Ummm excuse me.... WHY THE FUCK is "Cambrian Explosion" on that damn thing?!

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah! You forget...

Kapkao wrote:

That Bingo card leaves one important square out:

"Lamb power!"

That's what the Joker is for!

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh oh oh. Try...- Explain a

Oh oh oh. Try...

- Explain a ring species.

- Define a "kind." Have some examples of speciation handy.

- Since the entire genome is subject to mutations, what biological mechanism prevents organisms from changing beyond a certain threshold?

- Since Creationism is a science, what is a practical application of Creationism? What useful technology have they patented based on Creationism?

- Would a cat giving birth to a dog be evidence for evolution? Why or why not? Then, enact a smackdown when he says yes.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

atomicdogg34
atheist
atomicdogg34's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Oh oh oh.

butterbattle wrote:

Oh oh oh. Try...

- Explain a ring species.

- Define a "kind." Have some examples of speciation handy.

- Since the entire genome is subject to mutations, what biological mechanism prevents organisms from changing beyond a certain threshold?

- Since Creationism is a science, what is a practical application of Creationism? What useful technology have they patented based on Creationism?

- Would a cat giving birth to a dog be evidence for evolution? Why or why not? Then, enact a smackdown when he says yes.

good suggestions

i intend to challenge the presentor with something like the following:

"now you say that God is the explanation for (insert certain biological adaptation, the word complexity, etc).  And to some people that may suffice.  But to those such as myself with an inquisitive mind we think, 'okay, but HOW did God do this, by what mechanism?"  

and then work off that

i already know, because i called the minister of that church last summer about his creation displays, that that cool little freely rotating bacterial axle will more than likely be brought up, so i need to freshen up on that 

im sure the line of questioning will be turned then onto me and things like transition species and the like (you know the normal shit they bring up) will be asked so im really making sure i know that shit as well

also want to make sure i can explain natural selection as simply as i possibly can

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ring species? HUH?!

What's a "ring species"? I'm a little daft on (certain) evolutionary concepts...

atomicdogg34
atheist
atomicdogg34's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:What's a "ring

Kapkao wrote:

What's a "ring species"? I'm a little daft on (certain) evolutionary concepts...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species

i remember reading this in the dawkins book

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
I only read Dystopian

I only read Dystopian Political Fiction (1984, Animal Farm, et al)

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
atomicdogg34 wrote:also want

atomicdogg34 wrote:
also want to make sure i can explain natural selection as simply as i possibly can

You could make an analogy to aging? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can!

butterbattle wrote:

atomicdogg34 wrote:

You could make an analogy to aging? 

Aging and short generational spans=primary impetus of evolution.

Long lived animals tend NOT to evolve particularly efficiently...

edit; That is, of course, according to my current hypothesis on 'aging' (lifespan might be a more astute/all-encompassing term)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)