When is Irrationality evil? and Atheism is not a virtue, rationality is

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
When is Irrationality evil? and Atheism is not a virtue, rationality is

So since the "soul searching" meme has been spread, and I'd like to promote another atheist blog besides Hamby's, I just came across two recent posts by the atheist ethicist..

When is Irrationality Evil?

and

Atheism is not a virtue- Rationality is

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Ack.  I have to make the

Ack.  I have to make the caveat that I often disagree with the atheist ethicist.  From just browsing the first entry, I think we might be on similar pages in this instance, though.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the ideas "good" and "evil."  I suppose I'm something of an ethical pragmatist.  I believe in functional and dysfunctional, egalitarian and discriminatory, etc.  When we start lumping things in the category "good," we are often presuming too much about the universality of goodness.  Most actions are good for some, bad for others in any number of different ways.

As far as atheism being a virtue... meh.  I've said all along that my atheism is a side effect of my naturalism, and it honestly doesn't "do" anything.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ethics only have purpose and

Ethics only have purpose and meaning when they serve the self...