Why do we argue on here?

the_loser_kid
Posts: 5
Joined: 2010-03-30
User is offlineOffline
Why do we argue on here?

 Why is there arguing going on in this forum? Oh sorry, I meant to say why is there DEBATING going on? Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded. 


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
Maybe it's just me, but the

Maybe it's just me, but the exchanging of ideas, even if some of them are ridiculous is a good thing, even on forums like these, it allows not just those debating or arguing but those reading the debates to see those different ideas/arguments/topics.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Entertainment value.Oh it's

Entertainment value.

Oh it's good to actually see other peoples views as well, even if you don't agree with them. Should we all just be silent and live in our own little box?

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Anonymouse
atheist
Posts: 1687
Joined: 2008-05-04
User is offlineOffline
the_loser_kid wrote: Why is

the_loser_kid wrote:

 Why is there arguing going on in this forum? Oh sorry, I meant to say why is there DEBATING going on? Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded. 

That's more or less what I thought...

...untill I actually started reading some of the threads here.


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
the_loser_kid wrote: Why is

the_loser_kid wrote:

 Why is there arguing going on in this forum? Oh sorry, I meant to say why is there DEBATING going on? Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded. 

 

You are totally wrong.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


Thomathy
SuperfanBronze Member
Thomathy's picture
Posts: 1861
Joined: 2007-08-20
User is offlineOffline
mellestad

mellestad wrote:

the_loser_kid wrote:

 Why is there arguing going on in this forum? Oh sorry, I meant to say why is there DEBATING going on? Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded. 

 

You are totally wrong.

Ah, you're just closed-minded.


 

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3681
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
the_loser_kid wrote: Why is

the_loser_kid wrote:
 Why is there arguing going on in this forum? Oh sorry, I meant to say why is there DEBATING going on? Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded. 

Why are you arguing? There, you just answered your own question, congratulations.

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:mellestad

Thomathy wrote:

mellestad wrote:

the_loser_kid wrote:

 Why is there arguing going on in this forum? Oh sorry, I meant to say why is there DEBATING going on? Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded. 

 

You are totally wrong.

Ah, you're just closed-minded.

 

 

 

You egotistical swine!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


Thomathy
SuperfanBronze Member
Thomathy's picture
Posts: 1861
Joined: 2007-08-20
User is offlineOffline
Dryly pointing out

Dryly pointing out absurdities is fun!

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Dryly

Thomathy wrote:

Dryly pointing out absurdities is fun!

Hey now, I am passionately pointing out absurdities.

 

Anyway, what I don't understand is why someone would spend the time to do a drive by post like that.  I mean, seriously, don't you have better things to do than register for a forum, post one thing whining about how much it sucks, then go back to whatever it was you were doing before?

 

Lord, it must get awfully busy telling all of the forums on the Internet what they are doing wrong.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13235
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
the_loser_kid wrote: Why is

the_loser_kid wrote:

 Why is there arguing going on in this forum? Oh sorry, I meant to say why is there DEBATING going on? Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded. 

Is it "closed minded" to tell someone the earth isn't flat? Since when are stating facts "closed minded"?

Closed minded is making a naked assertion and then being to much of a pussy to test your own claims and then get them independently verified outside your own bias.

You confuse the human right of believing what you want. Which everyone should have.

AND the separate issue of having the ability to demonstrate the words that you utter out of your mouth to others who have no horse in the race.(ON ANY GIVEN ISSUE ON ANY GIVEN CLAIM)

Closed minded is what a naked assertion is. It is claiming something and then selfishly setting up a taboo so that it cannot be examined.

Any claim that demands special protection is one that should be condemned and laughed at. A claim that cannot be tested is a claim worth rejecting.

It is the opposite. We are very open minded, but unlike theists our standard of evidence is not based on ancient myth or tradition, but based on that which is repeatable and falsifiable and independently verified.

It would not be closed minded of you to reject a claim of Thor making lighting. You know that is not true and you wouldn't be demonized by modern society which rejects that as well.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Because I'm right and I want

Because I'm right and I want everyone to know it

 

 

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13235
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Because

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Because I'm right and I want everyone to know it

 

No, it is because a naked assertion is a naked assertion and without calling people on such things they don't get challenged and if they don't get challenged, humanity doesn't grow.

Otherwise you wouldn't have grown yourself. You started out here gangbusters sure that you were right and you have since changed your position. Your change wasn't due to our placating your position saying to you "isn't that nice". Your change was do to the fact that we didn't sugar coat life for you.

I am sure you know now that you are better off now because we didn't hold back.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
"There are no bad words, only bad deeds"

the_loser_kid wrote:

 Why is there arguing going on in this forum?

Watching the arrogance, passive-aggressiveness, double-standardness, chest-thumping, endless masturbating of egos, crying "wolf!", pedantic fixation on inconsequential details, false ideals and notions of self, and faulty or inconsistent logic makes me feel a little less like a dolt every time I log on to a number of discussion websites - including RRS.

However, to simply state that many of the scattered giblets of petty squabbling amuses me to no end does a disservice to the more mature and wise RRS posters who frequently prove themselves to be far above said petty squabbling. That would also omit how frequently I display arrogance, passive-aggression, chest-thumping, stroking my ego, and post simply to point out how asinine any number of arguments are.

That would also seemingly obscure the fact that I do have my moments of "Shit! I can't believe I posted such garbage..." or that I have an unhealthy obsession with 'bad girls'. (Discussion for a rainy day...)

Quote:
Oh sorry, I meant to say why is there DEBATING going on?

My first guess would be "for the very same reason people talk at all to begin with: social feedback"

Quote:
Please don't be pretend to be open-minded.

I don't believe anyone has at RRS, at least with regards to the endless torrent of shite religions out there...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5064
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Very few people are truly open minded

the_loser_kid wrote:

 Why is there arguing going on in this forum? Oh sorry, I meant to say why is there DEBATING going on? Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded. 

 

But that doesn't mean people don't change their minds in the face of new evidence - even if the change comes quietly when the discussion is over. What are you implying? That we should only speak out if we agree with you?

 

 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
the_loser_kid wrote: Why is

the_loser_kid wrote:

 Why is there arguing going on in this forum? Oh sorry, I meant to say why is there DEBATING going on? Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded. 

 

You can ask anyone on this forum.  I have never claimed that I am open minded.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
Posts: 191
Joined: 2008-04-17
User is offlineOffline
the_loser_kid wrote: Why is

the_loser_kid wrote:

 Why is there arguing going on in this forum? Oh sorry, I meant to say why is there DEBATING going on? Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded. 

Believe it or not, I frequent these boards to learn: about common threads of argument, uncommon threads of argument, to hone and develop skills of logic.  I don't always like reading the threads here, but I rarely go away without some new nugget of information.

I also make one pound for a five minute argument, and eight pounds for a course of ten.

Religion is a virus.
Fight the infection.


the_loser_kid
Posts: 5
Joined: 2010-03-30
User is offlineOffline
 Dude, Brian. Chill out

 Dude, Brian. Chill out man. You are taking this way too seriously. lol. 


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3681
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
the_loser_kid wrote: Dude,

the_loser_kid wrote:

 Dude, Brian. Chill out man. You are taking this way too seriously. lol. 

Why are you arguing with him? Stop arguing. He has way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to be swayed on his view of anything.

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


the_loser_kid
Posts: 5
Joined: 2010-03-30
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

the_loser_kid wrote:

 Dude, Brian. Chill out man. You are taking this way too seriously. lol. 

Why are you arguing with him? Stop arguing. He has way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to be swayed on his view of anything.

 

 

Wow, I don't really know how to respond to such an unintelligent reply. I guess the best thing to say is... wow. lol! (Go back to grade school doofus!) 


David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
Posts: 418
Joined: 2010-02-15
User is offlineOffline
the_loser_kid wrote: Why is

the_loser_kid wrote:

 Why is there arguing going on in this forum? Oh sorry, I meant to say why is there DEBATING going on? Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded. 

I agreed with what latincanuck, robj101 and Anonymouse said. Alot of why I do this from time to time has a great deal to do with egotism and I would reluctantly admit, probably close-mindedness. But the real reasons I do this is to get feedback and for entertainment. TV is crap. I'm retired so I do this instead when I get burned out on my Website.

I think it is a great experience to have someone who strongly disagrees with you to get in your face. If you are so close minded that you can't learn from that (fortunately I'm not that close minded) then at least you are aware of an opposing position and the knowledge that there are people out there who are just as convinced as you are, just as knowledgable, just as willing to throw down and be heard . . . I think in and of itself is a learning experience. For a while.

I can't do it for too long like I used to. So, while I see your point I also see the others I mentioned.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
  I only argue things I

  I only argue things I feel are "bad" or just plain nutty that dont make sense.  I don't really argue the existence of god, because that argument is mute to me, whether theirs a god or not things still seem to be happening and this world is still doing what it does so thats my main concern.  So I can't see how I'm closeminded, I read other people's holy books.  I read the teachings of the Falun Gong with an open mind just to see what's its all about.  My agenda is not to make people athiest, why woulud I care if someone is or isn't an athiest.  All I care about is if they do believe in god, what other things does that mean.  Because in my experience with most people when you believe in god it doesn't stop their, you have to add all this crazyness to it (anti-homosexuality, telling children about raptures, etc...)  and that stuff bothers me.  Pure god belief doesnt bother me at all, I don't know forsure their is no god. 


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:  I

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

  I only argue things I feel are "bad" or just plain nutty that dont make sense.  I don't really argue the existence of god

See... see I had a bet with the guy and he's like "I bet you can't make a rock so big you can't lift it" and I'm like "YEAH I CAN" so then we had some Yeager's, made a bigass rock, and JUST WENT NUTS

butterbattle wrote:

(stuff)

 

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3681
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
*sigh*Clearly, you're too

*sigh*

Clearly, you're too simple-minded to understand such a nuanced response, so since I have some time, I'll take the chore of spelling it out for you.

This is what you wrote in the OP, "Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded." Your very first post on this forum seeks to argue that no one here should argue with each other about anything because no one can be convinced of anything. This is not a good first impression; everyone here except you can spot the irony. You're arguing that arguing is pointless; why are you arguing? 

Your confused response to my satire is even more suggestive.

Quote:
Wow, I don't really know how to respond to such an unintelligent reply. I guess the best thing to say is... wow. lol! (Go back to grade school doofus!)

You don't know how to respond because you don't even understand what I wrote.

I am rather tempted to tell you to return to grade school as well, but in your case, this would probably be a compliment. You're probably in grade school. 

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
I wanted to touch on this

I wanted to touch on this "athiests = closeminded" thing.  I as well as many others I've talk to became athiest after a period of extensive open-minded research into religion, it's many holy books and their philosophies.  I tried very hard to experience what others said they have:

-Reading something so profound in a holy book you are convinced it is devine

-Feeling a connection to a diety or feel their presence

-Have some kind of revelation that pointed me to "god" belief

 I prayed 1000 times to "god" honestly and humbly that if he was real to show me wihtout a doubt, and that without a doubt his intentions are good.  If he did I would have no choice but to believe and tell others of his good intentions.  1000 non-awnsers, 1000 non-connections, 1000 non-revelations.  I stopped trying at about 17-18 yrs.  I kept serching for many more years for god, and more importantly a rational good god.  Ofcourse the bible or the Quaran could be true, but that would mean were left with a wacka jacko kind of god.  Once I found no real value in these 2 books I moved on through a little budhism, lots of Falun gong research, and travelled listenening to everyones individual beliefs their stories, there personal reasons for believing, and what they consider to be evidence for his existence.  In the end, I came to conclusion that either god doesn't exists (much more plausible to me), or he does and he's either nuts/stupid/ or just plain incompetant, and doesn't seem to really affect us at all. 

So this is the reason for my athiesm.  I can't speak for all and I'm sure their are many close-minded athiests, but for me and most I have encountered the journey to athiesm is a long open minded one.          


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:I

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

I wanted to touch on this "athiests = closeminded" thing.  I as well as many others I've talk to became athiest after a period of extensive open-minded research into religion, it's many holy books and their philosophies.  I tried very hard to experience what others said they have:

-Reading something so profound in a holy book you are convinced it is devine

-Feeling a connection to a diety or feel their presence

-Have some kind of revelation that pointed me to "god" belief

 I prayed 1000 times to "god" honestly and humbly that if he was real to show me wihtout a doubt, and that without a doubt his intentions are good.  If he did I would have no choice but to believe and tell others of his good intentions.  1000 non-awnsers, 1000 non-connections, 1000 non-revelations.  I stopped trying at about 17-18 yrs.  I kept serching for many more years for god, and more importantly a rational good god.  Ofcourse the bible or the Quaran could be true, but that would mean were left with a wacka jacko kind of god.  Once I found no real value in these 2 books I moved on through a little budhism, lots of Falun gong research, and travelled listenening to everyones individual beliefs their stories, there personal reasons for believing, and what they consider to be evidence for his existence.  In the end, I came to conclusion that either god doesn't exists (much more plausible to me), or he does and he's either nuts/stupid/ or just plain incompetant, and doesn't seem to really affect us at all. 

So this is the reason for my athiesm.  I can't speak for all and I'm sure their are many close-minded athiests, but for me and most I have encountered the journey to athiesm is a long open minded one.          

 

Stuff like your post makes me think there is something to the idea that some people are simply wired to be more likely to experience theistic bliss.  I know I never experienced any trancendent moments either.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
mellestad

mellestad wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

I wanted to touch on this "athiests = closeminded" thing.  I as well as many others I've talk to became athiest after a period of extensive open-minded research into religion, it's many holy books and their philosophies.  I tried very hard to experience what others said they have:

-Reading something so profound in a holy book you are convinced it is devine

-Feeling a connection to a diety or feel their presence

-Have some kind of revelation that pointed me to "god" belief

 I prayed 1000 times to "god" honestly and humbly that if he was real to show me wihtout a doubt, and that without a doubt his intentions are good.  If he did I would have no choice but to believe and tell others of his good intentions.  1000 non-awnsers, 1000 non-connections, 1000 non-revelations.  I stopped trying at about 17-18 yrs.  I kept serching for many more years for god, and more importantly a rational good god.  Ofcourse the bible or the Quaran could be true, but that would mean were left with a wacka jacko kind of god.  Once I found no real value in these 2 books I moved on through a little budhism, lots of Falun gong research, and travelled listenening to everyones individual beliefs their stories, there personal reasons for believing, and what they consider to be evidence for his existence.  In the end, I came to conclusion that either god doesn't exists (much more plausible to me), or he does and he's either nuts/stupid/ or just plain incompetant, and doesn't seem to really affect us at all. 

So this is the reason for my athiesm.  I can't speak for all and I'm sure their are many close-minded athiests, but for me and most I have encountered the journey to athiesm is a long open minded one.          

 

Stuff like your post makes me think there is something to the idea that some people are simply wired to be more likely to experience theistic bliss. 

  I'm still trying to figure that one out.  Or maybe it's just their standard of what they consider theistic bliss.  I've certainly sat by a lake on a sunny day and had a warm fuzzy feeling that made me feel (hmmm, how do you put it) like that feeling is to powerful to be a reaction to just the lake and sunny day.  I had it when I got on the plain when I went backpacking, and I get it sometimes around the ocean, nature, etc...  Is that what their talking about?  Because in those moments I never felt a devine presence, just a little being taken out of that place breathless in the moment type thing.  That's just not enough for me, all it explains is my brain is experiencing it this way, and it is mechanically controlling this reaction.    

 

   

 


the_loser_kid
Posts: 5
Joined: 2010-03-30
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

*sigh*

Clearly, you're too simple-minded to understand such a nuanced response, so since I have some time, I'll take the chore of spelling it out for you.

This is what you wrote in the OP, "Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded." Your very first post on this forum seeks to argue that no one here should argue with each other about anything because no one can be convinced of anything. This is not a good first impression; everyone here except you can spot the irony. You're arguing that arguing is pointless; why are you arguing? 

Your confused response to my satire is even more suggestive.

Quote:
Wow, I don't really know how to respond to such an unintelligent reply. I guess the best thing to say is... wow. lol! (Go back to grade school doofus!)

You don't know how to respond because you don't even understand what I wrote.

I am rather tempted to tell you to return to grade school as well, but in your case, this would probably be a compliment. You're probably in grade school. 

 

 

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAH GOOD ONE MAN! Insulting me straight to my face is always the way to win an (dare I say it) argument and in your case make you look totally cool! You win! 

XD


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
the_loser_kid

the_loser_kid wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

*sigh*

Clearly, you're too simple-minded to understand such a nuanced response, so since I have some time, I'll take the chore of spelling it out for you.

This is what you wrote in the OP, "Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded." Your very first post on this forum seeks to argue that no one here should argue with each other about anything because no one can be convinced of anything. This is not a good first impression; everyone here except you can spot the irony. You're arguing that arguing is pointless; why are you arguing? 

Your confused response to my satire is even more suggestive.

Quote:
Wow, I don't really know how to respond to such an unintelligent reply. I guess the best thing to say is... wow. lol! (Go back to grade school doofus!)

You don't know how to respond because you don't even understand what I wrote.

I am rather tempted to tell you to return to grade school as well, but in your case, this would probably be a compliment. You're probably in grade school. 

 

 

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAH GOOD ONE MAN! Insulting me straight to my face is always the way to win an (dare I say it) argument and in your case make you look totally cool! You win! 

XD

Well your initial question was pretty close minded to start with. BTW your avatar name is doing you too much justice.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3123
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
I think it's just human

I think it's just human nature, part of our survival to fight for what we believe is in our own best interests. But what people then end up doing is trying to claim what they want is really in the best interests of society, concealing their true self-centered interests. That's when people go off the rails, start arguing based on emotion and anger rather than reality and facts.

In science, people don't argue if if something can be empirically proven true or false. We don't see an endless debate about whether a drug can cure some disease. They do an experiment, determine the validity of the claims, determine what the side effects. End of debate.

But in politics(and religion), people advocate for one type of government/society(theism) that is supposed to suit everyone in the world and cure everything that ails us. It's not based on evidence of what would work and what is sustainable, but rather on what the person arguing feels is 'fair'. Critics are labeled with all kinds of personal attacks about their lack of morality in an attempt to silence their objections.

It would seem to me that a rational person would want the same standard for evidence and proof to apply in the fields of politics/government/economics that we do in science. Why not create micro-societies that can prove the benefits and problems with a particular ideology? I still want people that disagree with me politically to have a place in this world where they can live under their own rules and then we can see the effects and not have these endless political disagreements.

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” Seneca


the_loser_kid
Posts: 5
Joined: 2010-03-30
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:the_loser_kid

robj101 wrote:

the_loser_kid wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

*sigh*

Clearly, you're too simple-minded to understand such a nuanced response, so since I have some time, I'll take the chore of spelling it out for you.

This is what you wrote in the OP, "Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded." Your very first post on this forum seeks to argue that no one here should argue with each other about anything because no one can be convinced of anything. This is not a good first impression; everyone here except you can spot the irony. You're arguing that arguing is pointless; why are you arguing? 

Your confused response to my satire is even more suggestive.

Quote:
Wow, I don't really know how to respond to such an unintelligent reply. I guess the best thing to say is... wow. lol! (Go back to grade school doofus!)

You don't know how to respond because you don't even understand what I wrote.

I am rather tempted to tell you to return to grade school as well, but in your case, this would probably be a compliment. You're probably in grade school. 

 

 

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAH GOOD ONE MAN! Insulting me straight to my face is always the way to win an (dare I say it) argument and in your case make you look totally cool! You win! 

XD

Well your initial question was pretty close minded to start with. BTW your avatar name is doing you too much justice.

Well you are just too perceptive aren't you. In fact, my whole point was to be close-minded and see if someone (such as your incredibly erudite self) would pick up on it. Congratulations! By the way I think you are just too kind to comment on my "avatar name." I hoped someone would appreciate it! 

 

Smiling

 


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
the_loser_kid wrote:robj101

the_loser_kid wrote:

robj101 wrote:

the_loser_kid wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

*sigh*

Clearly, you're too simple-minded to understand such a nuanced response, so since I have some time, I'll take the chore of spelling it out for you.

This is what you wrote in the OP, "Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded." Your very first post on this forum seeks to argue that no one here should argue with each other about anything because no one can be convinced of anything. This is not a good first impression; everyone here except you can spot the irony. You're arguing that arguing is pointless; why are you arguing? 

Your confused response to my satire is even more suggestive.

Quote:
Wow, I don't really know how to respond to such an unintelligent reply. I guess the best thing to say is... wow. lol! (Go back to grade school doofus!)

You don't know how to respond because you don't even understand what I wrote.

I am rather tempted to tell you to return to grade school as well, but in your case, this would probably be a compliment. You're probably in grade school. 

 

 

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAH GOOD ONE MAN! Insulting me straight to my face is always the way to win an (dare I say it) argument and in your case make you look totally cool! You win! 

XD

Well your initial question was pretty close minded to start with. BTW your avatar name is doing you too much justice.

Well you are just too perceptive aren't you. In fact, my whole point was to be close-minded and see if someone (such as your incredibly erudite self) would pick up on it. Congratulations! By the way I think you are just too kind to comment on my "avatar name." I hoped someone would appreciate it! 

 

Smiling

 

I'm taking that as a compliment, I shall scribble down one point towards myself in my small book of ego.

 

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13235
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

the_loser_kid wrote:

 Why is there arguing going on in this forum? Oh sorry, I meant to say why is there DEBATING going on? Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded. 

 

You can ask anyone on this forum.  I have never claimed that I am open minded.

Oh stop it, underneath that Daddy Warbucks fan club is a softy at heart.

All kidding aside though, what people call "open minded" is nothing more than a closed minded justification for credulity. To be open minded you have to be willing to have what you claim tested by others.

We are "open minded" in the human right's sense. But we are also open minded in that, "Ok, you claim x-, I'll adapt that position with the presentation of credible independently verified evidence."

Calling any skepticism to any claim "close minded" is nothing but the expression of one who is insecure with their position. If you have something to back up what you claim, then you have nothing to fear because it will be obvious and universal and widely accepted.

I would suggest as part of our skepticism we call people on it when they call us "closed minded". That is the cry of the insecure who want a taboo set up so they don't have to do the intellectually honest thing and test and verify their own claims. Protecting one's ego is lazy, introspection is where growing happens.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
*taps on Brian's skull* not quite ripe yet....

Brian37 wrote:
If you have something to back up what you claim, then you have nothing to fear because it will be obvious and universal and widely accepted.

(just off the top of my head)Galileo- obvious, universal, and widely accepted.

 

Or not.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3681
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:*sigh*Right,

Kapkao wrote:

*sigh*

Right, why do I even care? He doesn't even read what I'm writing.

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
Posts: 516
Joined: 2007-04-23
User is offlineOffline
Quote:(just off the top of

Quote:
(just off the top of my head)Galileo- obvious, universal, and widely accepted.

Not at the time.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3502
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:I think it's just

EXC wrote:

I think it's just human nature, part of our survival to fight for what we believe is in our own best interests. But what people then end up doing is trying to claim what they want is really in the best interests of society, concealing their true self-centered interests. That's when people go off the rails, start arguing based on emotion and anger rather than reality and facts....

     Oh yeah, well I strongly disagree and feel compelled to argue about it !!!!                


jojolando (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
the_loser_kid wrote: Why is

the_loser_kid wrote:

 Why is there arguing going on in this forum? Oh sorry, I meant to say why is there DEBATING going on? Even if you were to prove to a point to someone, atheist or theist, there is way too much pride, egotism, and overall close-mindedness to sway anyone's view on anything. Please don't be pretend to be open-minded. 

 

Dude, I hear ya.  I used to come to this website years ago because I actually wanted to talk with atheists about their beliefs but their is not much intellectual discussion to be had here.  In the end, I think atheism is fucking retarded and the thing that really irks me about people on this whole site is that they don't see that atheism takes just as much faith as believing in something higher.  Do yourself a favor, just leave this site alone and let these people live in their delusional world.  What I've come to find is that if you are really secure in what you believe or don't believe in, you won't need to constantly defend it like so many of the losers on this site who seem to don't have much of a life outside of these forums.

 

Enjoy your pointless life you atheist nerds!

 

 

 


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Dude..duude..dude...dooood...

Dude..duude..dude...dooood...dewd..duuuuude..dewwwwwd..dudedudedude..dooooood.


100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
Posts: 679
Joined: 2010-05-02
User is offlineOffline
 Wow.Are all his 2800+

 Wow.

Are all his 2800+ posts like this one? Smiling  


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2354
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
No 100%.............

100percentAtheist wrote:

 Wow.

Are all his 2800+ posts like this one? Smiling  

 

 

              Watch for the key phrases (not verified)  &  joined  1969-12-31. It means they are E-mailed in with a name and Brian Sapient post them all under the same heading.  jojoorlando has posted here before, maybe a dozen times but no where near 2800+.

 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Its simple, by debating

Its simple, by debating ideas you get to know your own position better. Can anyone here honesty say they knew all there reasons for disagreeing or agreeing on the whole god thing before before they started debating them? Did you know all your reasons why the other people are wrong before you started debating? Debating keeps topics alive, and prevents you just taking what you think on faith. Why do you think most people can tell you why they are for or against abortion but not something like plate techtonics? Because one is debated and the other isn't, it is granted a sort of automatic truth value even if you don't know why.

 

This probably isnt why anyone does, but it is a positive outcome even if no one changes there mind.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 3085
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
the_loser_kid wrote:Well you

the_loser_kid wrote:

Well you are just too perceptive aren't you. In fact, my whole point was to be close-minded and see if someone (such as your incredibly erudite self) would pick up on it. Congratulations! By the way I think you are just too kind to comment on my "avatar name." I hoped someone would appreciate it! 

 

Smiling

 

ahhh, yes.  the last refuge of every troll: IT WAS ALL A BIG SOCIAL EXPERIMENT, AND YOU PLAYED RIGHT INTO MY HANDS!!!!  DANCE, PUPPETS, DANCE!!!  AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!

"I asked my father,
I said, 'Father change my name.'
The one I'm using now it's covered up
with fear and filth and cowardice and shame."
--Leonard Cohen


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
robj101

robj101 wrote:

Dude..duude..dude...dooood...dewd..duuuuude..dewwwwwd..dudedudedude..dooooood.

No one got my baseketball reference, that should have ended it all, lol

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin