The Question That Will Stump Paisley

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:BobSpence1

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

And now you claim you haven't shifted your position?? 

I guess I will have to repeat myself because you are evading my last post.

Here is the definition of the term "mystic" that you yourself provided in this thread (I cannot cite the source because you did not provide it in your original post):

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley, you linked to a definition of 'mysticism', not 'mystic'. However, here is a definition of 'mystic'

Quote:

a person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect.

I am a mystic. Why? Because I am "a person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect."

How does saying that qualify me as a liar? What exactly am I lying about? That I do not really practice contemplation? That I do not really believe that the practice of contemplation will lead to union with the divine? That I do not really believe in the "spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect?" What exactly do you believe that I am lying about here that does not qualify me as a mystic?

You are a liar because you clearly did shift your position, as I demonstrated by the sequence of successively elaborated definitions of what you actually practiced.

Now you claim the more full definition (not just believing in mysticism) was what you meant all along? 

(BTW, that was from The "New Oxford American Dictionary", which is used by standard app installed on my Mac.)

Gimme a break...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:jcgadfly

Paisley wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

You made a claim that you are a mystic because you claim to sit quietly and think about stuff. All of us have done that at some point. Many of us have gotten enlightenment about what we were thinking about. Are we all mystics?

Or are you special because you sit and think about nothing and call it "God"?

I never said I was special. I said I was a mystic. Also, I never said I "sit quietly and think about stuff." I said I have a daily contemplation/meditation practice.

aka you sit quietly and think about stuff daily.

If you didn't want to be considered special why bring up the group you were initiated into?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Paisley

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

I am a mystic. Why? Because I am "a person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect."

How does saying that qualify me as a liar? What exactly am I lying about? That I do not really practice contemplation? That I do not really believe that the practice of contemplation will lead to union with the divine? That I do not really believe in the "spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect?" What exactly do you believe that I am lying about here that does not qualify me as a mystic?

You are a liar because you clearly did shift your position, as I demonstrated by the sequence of successively elaborated definitions of what you actually practiced.

The only person shifting positions on this subject matter is you. And I will prove my point by asking you one simple question. Did Sam Harris promote mysticism in "The End of Faith?"

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

The only person shifting positions on this subject matter is you. And I will prove my point by asking you one simple question. Did Sam Harris promote mysticism in "The End of Faith?"

If you haven't shifted your position, why did you not embrace that full definition immediately after I quoted it - instead you merely made the 'weak' assertion that you practiced contemplation. 

Sam Harris did not 'promote' mysticism, he promoted the idea we should empirically study what mystics practiced for anything that might be more generally applicable to improving our quality of mental life. I have repeatedly explained this to you.

On both counts, you are a Liar.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

The only person shifting positions on this subject matter is you. And I will prove my point by asking you one simple question. Did Sam Harris promote

mysticism

in "The End of Faith?"

If you haven't shifted your position, why did you not embrace that full definition immediately after I quoted it - instead you merely made the 'weak' assertion that you practiced contemplation. 

I did fully embrace the definition. In fact, you were suggesting that I did not practice contemplation and therefore I did not qualify as a mystic according to the definition. Perhaps, I should refresh your memory by re-posting my reply.

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley, you linked to a definition of 'mysticism', not 'mystic'.

However, here is a definition of 'mystic'

Quote:

a person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect.

The first part is what most of us were thinking of as a 'real' mystic.

But, to be fair, your position could fit the second part of that definition, although it seems a weaker sort of 'mystic'.

IOW someone who believes in the validity of the mystic idea, but doesn't necessarily practice mysticism.

I practice contemplation (a.k.a. meditation) daily. Therefore, I practice mysticism.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Sam Harris did not 'promote' mysticism, he promoted the idea we should empirically study what mystics practiced for anything that might be more generally applicable to improving our quality of mental life. I have repeatedly explained this to you.

You are not only ignorant on the subject matter of mysticism, but also intellectually dishonest. This explains why atheists like yourself are bamboozled into believing that both Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta Hinduism (Sam Harris promoted both in his first book...see pg. 215) are compatible with a materialist worldview.  

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

The only person shifting positions on this subject matter is you. And I will prove my point by asking you one simple question. Did Sam Harris promote

mysticism

in "The End of Faith?"

I did fully embrace the definition. In fact, you were suggesting that I did not practice contemplation and therefore I did not qualify as a mystic according to the definition. Perhaps, I should refresh your memory by re-posting my reply.

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley, you linked to a definition of 'mysticism', not 'mystic'.

However, here is a definition of 'mystic'

Quote:

The first part is what most of us were thinking of as a 'real' mystic.

But, to be fair, your position could fit the second part of that definition, although it seems a weaker sort of 'mystic'.

IOW someone who believes in the validity of the mystic idea, but doesn't necessarily practice mysticism.

I practice contemplation (a.k.a. meditation) daily. Therefore, I practice mysticism.

BobSpence1 wrote:

You are not only ignorant on the subject matter of mysticism, but also intellectually dishonest. This explains why atheists like yourself are bamboozled into believing that both Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta Hinduism (Sam Harris promoted both in his first book...see pg. 215) are compatible with a materialist worldview.  

Prior to my quoting that definition, you had made no reference to practising contemplation. That is still not fully embracing the definition, which refers to "seek[ing] by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute". IOW 'contemplation' is only a part of the definition, and then only as a tool to pursue the specific end, which you did not mention until more recent posts. You are still a Liar.

Sam Harris is not 'promoting' those religious systems in "The End of Faith", he is pointing out that the "great philosopher mystics of the East" (note: not so much the religious mystics) seemed to have achieved more insight into "the nature of consciousness" (bottom of pg 216) than any Western philosophical or religious traditions.

Also note what he means when he refers to "spirituality":

Sam Harris wrote:

It is difficult to find a word for that human enterprise which aims at happiness directly - at happiness of a sort that can survive the frustration of all conventional desires.The term "spirituality" seems unavoidable here - and I have used it several times in this book already - but it has many connotations that are, frankly, embarrassing. "Mysticism"has more gravitas, perhaps, but it has unfortunate associations of its own. Neither word captures the reasonableness and profundity of the possibility that we must now consider: that there are is a form of well-being that supersedes all others, indeed, that transcends the vagaries of experience itself...... .... our discussion will focus on a specific insight that seems to have special relevance to our pursuit of happiness.

("the End of Faith", pp 205-206)

Liar.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Why is

zarathustra wrote:

Why is there a god rather than no god? 

Oh that's easy. Short answer: because thumb puppets sometimes compel their masters to do unbelievably stupid shit.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Y'know... I was kinda hoping this question would stump me as well. Give me something to contemplate in my spare time, y'know?

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

You are not only ignorant on the subject matter of

mysticism

, but also intellectually dishonest. This explains why atheists like yourself are bamboozled into believing that both Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta Hinduism (Sam Harris promoted both in his first book...see pg. 215) are compatible with a materialist worldview.  

Prior to my quoting that definition, you had made no reference to practising contemplation. That is still not fully embracing the definition, which refers to "seek[ing] by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute". IOW 'contemplation' is only a part of the definition, and then only as a tool to pursue the specific end, which you did not mention until more recent posts. You are still a Liar.

You are either an idiot, a jerk, or a combination thereof. All evidence seems to suggest the latter. Are you actually implying that I am practicing contemplation without any specific religious or spiritual goal in mind whatsoever? Please tell me that you are not really that dense.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Sam Harris is not 'promoting' those religious systems in "The End of Faith", he is pointing out that the "great philosopher mystics of the East" (note: not so much the religious mystics) seemed to have achieved more insight into "the nature of consciousness" (bottom of pg 216) than any Western philosophical or religious traditions.

Sam Harris wrote:

It is difficult to find a word for that human enterprise which aims at happiness directly - at happiness of a sort that can survive the frustration of all conventional desires.The term "spirituality" seems unavoidable here - and I have used it several times in this book already - but it has many connotations that are, frankly, embarrassing. "Mysticism"has more gravitas, perhaps, but it has unfortunate associations of its own. Neither word captures the reasonableness and profundity of the possibility that we must now consider: that there are is a form of well-being that supersedes all others, indeed, that transcends the vagaries of experience itself...... .... our discussion will focus on a specific insight that seems to have special relevance to our pursuit of happiness.

Liar. 

This is where you are revealing your complete ignorance of the subject matter. One of the great philosopher mystics whom Sam Harris praises is "Shankara." Adi Shankara is basically to Hinduism what St. Thomas Aquinas is to Catholicism. Here are Shankara's insight into the nature of consciousness:

Quote:

Bhagavatpādācārya and Ādi Śaṅkarācārya, was an Indian philosopher who consolidated the doctrine of Advaita Vedanta, a sub-school of Vedanta. His teachings are based on the unity of the soul and Brahman.

(source: Wikipedia: Adi Shankara)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Shankara

The part of the quote that describes a "form of well-being that supersedes all others, indeed, that TRANSCENDS the vagaries of experience itself" is a reference to the Buddhist concept of "nirvana" or the Hindu concept of "sat-chit-ananda."

Quote:

Saccidānanda, Satchidananda, or Sat-cit-ānanda (Sanskrit: सच्चिदानंद) is a compound of three Sankrit words, Sat (सत्), Cit (चित्), and Ānanda (आनंद) (the ā is of longer vocal length), meaning existence, consciousness, and bliss respectively. The expression is used in yoga and other schools of Indian philosophy to describe the nature of Brahman as experienced by a fully liberated yogi.

(source: Wikipedia: Satchitananda)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sat_chit_ananda

This is what motivates the contemplative. This is why he practices contemplative prayer and/or meditation religiously. He endeavors to experience absolute bliss consciousness - i.e. the union of the atman (or soul) and  Brahman. That is mysticism. And this practice has been co-opted by many who consider themselves to be "naturalists" (read materialists).

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

You are not only ignorant on the subject matter of

mysticism

, but also intellectually dishonest. This explains why atheists like yourself are bamboozled into believing that both Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta Hinduism (Sam Harris promoted both in his first book...see pg. 215) are compatible with a materialist worldview.  

You are either an idiot, a jerk, or a combination thereof. All evidence seems to suggest the latter. Are you actually implying that I am practicing contemplation without any specific religious or spiritual goal in mind whatsoever? Please tell me that you are not really that dense.

Just stating the truth that 'contemplation' can encompass a whole range of things, of which that state of mind aimed at "mystical contact with absolute" is just one.

In fact, the totally unfocussed "loss of self", for its own sake, is indeed one possibility.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Sam Harris wrote:

Liar. 

This is where you are revealing your complete ignorance of the subject matter. One of the great philosopher mystics whom Sam Harris praises is "Shankara." Adi Shankara is basically to Hinduism what St. Thomas Aquinas is to Catholicism. Here are Shankara's insight into the nature of consciousness:

Quote:

Bhagavatpādācārya and Ādi Śaṅkarācārya, was an Indian philosopher who consolidated the doctrine of Advaita Vedanta, a sub-school of Vedanta. His teachings are based on the unity of the soul and Brahman.

(source: Wikipedia: Adi Shankara)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Shankara

The part of the quote that describes a "form of well-being that supersedes all others, indeed, that TRANSCENDS the vagaries of experience itself" is a reference to the Buddhist concept of "nirvana" or the Hindu concept of "sat-chit-ananda."

Quote:

Saccidānanda, Satchidananda, or Sat-cit-ānanda (Sanskrit: सच्चिदानंद) is a compound of three Sankrit words, Sat (सत्), Cit (चित्), and Ānanda (आनंद) (the ā is of longer vocal length), meaning existence, consciousness, and bliss respectively. The expression is used in yoga and other schools of Indian philosophy to describe the nature of Brahman as experienced by a fully liberated yogi.

(source: Wikipedia: Satchitananda)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sat_chit_ananda

This is what motivates the contemplative. This is why he practices contemplative prayer and/or meditation religiously. He endeavors to experience absolute bliss consciousness - i.e. the union of the atman (or soul) and  Brahman. That is mysticism. And this practice has been co-opted by many who consider themselves to be "naturalists" (read materialists).

Harris is explicitly focussed on the "experience [of] absolute bliss consciousness" and related states, not so much any religious motivation for the practice, or any subsequent religious interpretation of what it signifies, such as  "the union of the atman (or soul) and  Brahman". If you can't see that distinction, that is your problem. You still apparently don't get what he is referring to as the "embarrassing connotations" and "associations" of 'spirituality' and 'mysticism'.

Ok, so you are not a Liar, just a Fool.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Ok, so you

BobSpence1 wrote:

Man, did you just figure that out??? 

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:BobSpence1

cj wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I was bending over backwards to give him the 'benefit of the doubt', on the assumption that he might consider being regarded as a Fool more insulting than a Liar.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:cj

BobSpence1 wrote:

cj wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I was bending over backwards to give him the 'benefit of the doubt', on the assumption that he might consider being regarded as a Fool more insulting than a Liar.

Well, if he isn't insulted by my all the time, he must have pretty thick skin, don't ya know? 

I think you are very patient, much more than I am. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah, "The End of Faith," I

Ah, "The End of Faith," I remember reading that. It figures that he would quote mine Sam Harris. Harris likes to talk about promoting "spirituality" sometimes.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Just stating the truth that 'contemplation' can encompass a whole range of things, of which that state of mind aimed at "mystical contact with absolute" is just one.

In fact, the totally unfocussed "loss of self", for its own sake, is indeed one possibility.

No, this is not what you are "just stating." You have clearly gone on the war path and personally attacked me in this thread, labeling me a liar. What exactly am I lying about? That I really do not have a meditation practice? That I am not really practicing meditation with the intent to have a religious or spiritual experience of the divine? Who is the one lying here?

Yes, there are various definitions for the terms "contemplation" or "meditation." But I am definitely using the terms in the context of mysticism. And I can assure you that Sam Harris was using the terms in the same context when he wrote about spirituality and mysticism in "The End of Faith." 

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Harris is explicitly focussed on the "experience [of] absolute bliss consciousness" and related states, not so much any religious motivation for the practice, or any subsequent religious interpretation of what it signifies, such as  "the union of the atman (or soul) and  Brahman". If you can't see that distinction, that is your problem. You still apparently don't get what he is referring to as the "embarrassing connotations" and "associations" of 'spirituality' and 'mysticism'.

You keep engaging in intellectual dishonesty and/or willful-ignorance. You refuse to acknowledge that Sam Harris explicitly denounced the materialist worldview in "The End of Faith." Moreover, you refuse to acknowledge that Sam Harris continues to defend his view that "physicalism is little more than an article of faith." Why does he continue to defend this view? Because he obviously believes in his heart of hearts that the "absolute bliss consciousness" (a.k.a. Brahman) is the basis of reality.

That a so-called "atheist" is a proponent of contemplative prayer is laughable. That a militant atheist (that would be you) is defending this is even more laughable. What is next on the agenda for atheistic spirituality? Praying in tongues? (Apparently, Sam Harris supports a form of this.)

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

No, this is not what you are "just stating." You have clearly gone on the war path and personally attacked me in this thread, labeling me a liar. What exactly am I lying about? That I really do not have a meditation practice? That I am not really practicing meditation with the intent to have a religious or spiritual experience of the divine? Who is the one lying here?

Yes, there are various definitions for the terms "contemplation" or "meditation." But I am definitely using the terms in the context of mysticism. And I can assure you that Sam Harris was using the terms in the same context when he wrote about spirituality and mysticism in "The End of Faith." 

BobSpence1 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

You keep engaging in intellectual dishonesty and/or willful-ignorance. You refuse to acknowledge that Sam Harris explicitly denounced the materialist worldview in "The End of Faith." Moreover, you refuse to acknowledge that Sam Harris continues to defend his view that "physicalism is little more than an article of faith." Why does he continue to defend this view? Because he obviously believes in his heart of hearts that the "absolute bliss consciousness" (a.k.a. Brahman) is the basis of reality.

That a so-called "atheist" is a proponent of contemplative prayer is laughable. That a militant atheist (that would be you) is defending this is even more laughable. What is next on the agenda for atheistic spirituality? Praying in tongues? (Apparently, Sam Harris supports a form of this.)

paisley, i have no reason to doubt you have aspirations toward the ground of being.  i ask you, is all this really edifying?  are you getting anywhere spiritually with this whole crusade you have on rrs, or is it just about pride? 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Paisley, it's about time

Paisley, it's about time someone gave you back a little of what you've been dishing out. You've been coddled here for far too long.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:You are either

Paisley wrote:
You are either an idiot, a jerk, or a combination thereof.

Paisley, we are all thoroughly impressed with your capacity for sophomoric insults -- not to mention your indignation when less than saccharine remarks are sent your way. 

However, with this thread having exceeded 100 posts already, one hopes you would get on with answering the question posed (and no, your regurgitated quote did not suffice to answer the actual question).

Or perhaps you can admit courageously that you're stumped (as courageously as you cast your low-level aspersions).

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

D33PPURPLE
atheist
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Paisley

zarathustra wrote:

Paisley wrote:
You are either an idiot, a jerk, or a combination thereof.

Paisley, we are all thoroughly impressed with your capacity for sophomoric insults -- not to mention your indignation when less than saccharine remarks are sent your way. 

However, with this thread having exceeded 100 posts already, one hopes you would get on with answering the question posed (and no, your regurgitated quote did not suffice to answer the actual question).

Or perhaps you can admit courageously that you're stumped (as courageously as you cast your low-level aspersions)

Awww come on, I'm quite enjoy watching Paisley underline one part of a person's comment and then argue petty semantics about it. Better than his attempts to answer the question.

"The Chaplain had mastered, in a moment of divine intuition, the handy technique of protective rationalization and he was exhilarated by his discovery. It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. Just no Character."

"He...had gone down in flames...on the seventh day, while God was resting"

"You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You should be taken outside and shot!"

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah, paisley, just grow a

yeah, paisley, just grow a pair and say you're stumped.  i make it a point to cede arguments at least every now and then online.  it's difficult to swallow your pride initially and say "yeah, i was wrong" but once you do it it's quite liberating.  i think it builds character and if you really are trying a mystical ascent, it certainly couldn't hurt, whereas your stubborness definitely could.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Ah, "The

butterbattle wrote:

Ah, "The End of Faith," I remember reading that. It figures that he would quote mine Sam Harris. Harris likes to talk about promoting "spirituality" sometimes.

Promoting spirituality/mysticism was one of Harris' primary intents in "The End of Faith." If you did not come away with that, then you completely failed to grasp his message. Apparently, hardcore atheists engage in some form of cognitive dissonance in regards to Sam Harris. They gleefully embrace his vitriol of religious faith (or should I say his strawman version of religious faith?) while blindly ignoring his enthusiasm for spirituality/mysticism.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley,You lied about the

Paisley,

You lied about the fact that you have shifted the nature of your claim to be a mystic as we continued to to show the indequacies of what you stated in justification.

I listed the sequence of those shifts.

Case proven.

With regard to Sam Harris, you are now going back to your tired old straw-man of the 'materialist worldview', which neither I nor Sam claim to hold in the reductionist sense which you keep claiming.

The 'article of faith' Sam referred to was in regard to the idea of consciousness being wholly a product of brain processes, altho he specifically accepts that the contents of consciousness are so tied, as has been amply demonstrated.

Here is Harris addressing the concerns that his discussions of these issues have raised among other atheists, from an interview about this http://www.slumdance.com/blogs/brian_flemming/archives/001324.html

Sam Harris wrote:

Dear Atheist Friends --

Before signing off, I would like to clear a up a few points of confusion and controversy:

1. My remarks about the mysteriousness of consciousness (i.e. the fact that we don't know the relationship between consciousness and the physical world) were intended to convey the state of our scientific ignorance on this subject (as well as to hint at some of its conceptual difficulties). I was not suggesting that we have good reasons to believe that consciousness floats free of the brain at the moment of death. Nor was I suggesting that one need believe anything spooky about consciousness in order to meditate. Many diehard philosophical materialists have derived great benefit from meditation.

Most atheists appear to be certain that consciousness dies with the brain. Given the state of the science, this is a false certainty. To my mind, the only intellectually rigorous position to stake out here is to say that we don't know what happens to consciousness after death. Once again, I am not suggesting that one make a religion out of this uncertainty, or do anything else with it. It is just over-reaching to say that we know that consciousness arises from neuronal complexity (or anything else). It is not, however, over-reaching to say that the faculties of mind (language processing, proprioception, etc.) arise in this way or that most religious beliefs are preposterous (they are).

2. My comments about spiritual teachers, retreats, and the difficulties of learning to meditate were not meant to minimize the dangers of cults. Cults are scary. Mainstream religions are nothing more than cults by another name (and with millions of members). I consider the problem of cultic irrationality to be the central problem of our time. Reason is the antidote, but it is difficult to apply in sufficient quantities.

3. The purpose of this interview was to clear up some of the concerns that atheists have raised about the last chapter of my book. Consequently, we focused on the esoterica of meditation, spirituality, consciousness, etc. Those of you who have not read my book are likely to get a distorted picture of its contents from this interview, as The End of Faith has very little to say about the mystery of consciousness or the usefulness of meditation. Most of its pages are dedicated to exposing the noxious absurdity of religious faith. It is, therefore, ironic that some of the harshest criticism of my book has come from atheists who felt that I had betrayed their cause on some peripheral issues. If there is a book that takes a harder swing at religion, I'm not aware of it. This is not to say that my book does not have many shortcomings -- but appeasing religious irrationality is not among them.

It was a pleasure to be in dialogue with the Raving Atheist, Brian Flemming, and Under No Circumstances. Given the level of religious idiocy in this world, there is no shortage of things for us all to make noise about. Keep it up, my friends.

I wish you all the best.

Sam

As I have said before, I think he somewhat over-states the uncertainty about consciousness being purely a product of brain-states, but he appears to be mainly appealing to the strict empirical scientific position that we cannot justify absolute certainty on any scientific 'claim', especially one as tricky to address and study as this.

It seems to me that he envisages that our conscious thoughts may be something like 'modulations' of an underlying raw 'stuff', which is analogous to energy in the realm of fundamental constituents of reality. As with other modulations of energy, such as the modulations of electromagnetic energy which convey radio and television programs to us across space, those modulations are generated by interactions of the underlying medium with physical objects: electronic circuits in the case of radio transmission, brain-cells in the case of consciousness.

He is quite explicit there that our "faculties of mind" are clearly a product of the complexity of the brain, but he is not so sure about the raw state of being conscious itself.

I can see how you can find some support for your views there, but I think it is pretty obvious that he has no problem with the actual contents of our conscious thoughts being an aspect of brain-states, and therefore part of the physical world.

EDIT:

Paisley, please note the underlined words - he is effectively denying that "Promoting spirituality/mysticism was one of [his] primary intents in 'The End of Faith.'"

If you refuse to acknowledge this you are both a Fool and a Liar.

If you continue to maintain that his book was about "Promoting spirituality/mysticism", you are calling Harris a liar.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some more quotes from the

Some more quotes from the interview with Sam Harris  I referred to:

Quote:

RAVING ATHEIST: Many hardcore atheists like myself are wary of meditation, viewing it as religious or spiritual practice akin to prayer. How is what you're proposing different?

HARRIS: Well, the first thing to realize is that "meditation" is a word like "learning" - it can mean many things in different contexts. It is certainly possible to practice a kind of "meditation" that is indistinguishable from prayer, in that it rests on very dubious assumptions about divine agency, the supernatural, etc. Needless to say, this is not the sort of meditation I endorse in my book.

There are, however, many forms of meditation that merely require that a person pay extraordinarily close attention to the flow of his experience. There is nothing irrational about doing this. In fact, it constitutes the only rational basis upon which to make detailed claims about the nature of one's own experience.

Quote:

The only claim I making with respect to meditation is that there are methods of training our powers of attention, such that we can come to observe the flow of our experience with astonishing clarity. And this can result in a range of insights that, for millennia, people have found both intellectually credible and personally transforming (mostly in the East). The primary insight being that the feeling we call "I"-- the sense that we are the thinker of our thoughts, the experiencer of our experiencer -- really disappears when looked for in a rigorous way. This is as empirically confirmable at looking for one's optic blind spot. Most people never notice their blind spot (caused by the optic nerve's transit through the retina), but it can be pointed out with a little effort. Loss of the feeling of "self" can be pointed out and discussed in a very similar way. It's just a little harder to get someone to notice it, because most people can't stop thinking for more than instant.

Quote:

The fact that we have found a reliable correlation between a physiological measure and what people say about their experience is the key to our understanding a state like anxiety. So, first-person report still remains the gold standard for first person facts.

This does not suggest, however, that people can't be wrong about the character of their experience. On the contrary, it suggests that we should bring considerable discipline to our search for first-person data. This is where "spirituality" or "mysticism" (both are, as I have said, terrible words, but there are no alternatives in English at the moment) creep into the picture. There are traditions of introspection which really do have something to offer us when it comes time to look "within." Granted, there is a lot of mumbo jumbo to be sifted through on this front, but it is simply a fact that a tradition like Buddhism has developed far more sophisticated methods of introspection than we have in the West. Judging from the reaction of certain atheist-readers to my discussion of Buddhism, this fact is not well known to readers of your blog.

Quote:

The root question of the relationship between consciousness and matter may not be answerable. Or it may not be answerable given our current concepts (mental v. physical; dualism v. monism; etc.) But this does not mean that everything is up for grabs. It doesn't make the Muslim conception of Paradise, filled with virgins and silk brocade any more plausible. The only claim I have made in my book about consciousness is that it must be explored, systematically, from a first-person perspective, and that such exploration can yield reproducible discoveries: one of the most interesting being that the subject/object dichotomy (the ego) is a kind of cognitive illusion. The crucial point is that there is an experiment that a person can run on himself (e.g. meditation) that can be used to test this claim. The only experiment the Muslim proposes is death in defense of Islam. 

I think it should be clear from this that Sam has a far more considered, informed and rational view on 'mysticism' etc than Paisley.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Promoting

Paisley wrote:

Promoting spirituality/mysticism was one of Harris' primary intents in "The End of Faith." If you did not come away with that, then you completely failed to grasp his message. Apparently, hardcore atheists engage in some form of cognitive dissonance in regards to Sam Harris. They gleefully embrace his vitriol of religious faith (or should I say his strawman version of religious faith?) while blindly ignoring his enthusiasm for spirituality/mysticism.

Sam Harris promotes spirituality, meditation, etc. merely as a method of self discovery and learning more about consciousness. He does not believe in any religious concept of spirits nor does he give any credit to any of the unscientific claims normally made by mystics. If you did not come away with that, then you completely failed to grasp his message. Apparently, you like to engage in some form of cognitive dissonance with regard to any topic that threatens your belief system. Upon observing that Sam Harris used the word 'spirituality,' you gleefully ignored the entire intent of that section of his book and began pulling shit out of your ass. I'm sorry you are so closed-minded and possess such poor reading comprehension.     

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmmm, Paisley seems to be

Hmmm, Paisley seems to be extremely uncomfortable of or even feel threatened by the idea that a rational atheist could improve their mental and emotional state through meditation, etc.