Whether you believe or not...

fjp800
fjp800's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whether you believe or not...

"In the beginning God created the Heavens and the earth, and the earth was without form, and void, and darkness was upon  the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters."   It's an oral history, passed down, word of mouth, from father to son. From Adam to Seth, from Seth to Enos, from Enos to Caanan, for 40 generations a growing, changing story, passed down, word of mouth, father to son.   Till Moses finally gets it down on lambskin. But lambskins wear out, need to be copied.   So you have a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy  of an oral history passed down through 40 generations.   From Hebrew it's translated into Arabic. From Arabic into Greek. From Greek into Latin. From Latin into Russian, from Russian into German, from German into an Olde form of English that you could not read. Through 400 years of evolution of the English language to the book we have today. Which is: A translation of a translation of a translation of a translation of a translation of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of an oral history passed down through 40 generations.   You can't put a grocery list through that many copies, translations and re-tellings and not get some big changes in the dinner menu when the kids make it back from Superfresh.   And yet people are killing each other over this written word.   Here's a tip.   If you're killing someone in the name of God... you might be missing the message.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
To fjp800

I think you have made it clear what most here agree with anyways, the story comes from ancient folk lore;  stories told around the clans campfire. btw you can relate the story with smaller letters, it's easier on the eyes.

"in the beginning there was light..."  , very poetic but since the sun doesn't show up untill the forth day, did you ever wonder where that light came from?

The story of Adam and Eve comes from the swamp area North-West of modern Basra. Well known for its rich red earth, but you knew that anyways since Adam means 'son of the red earth'.

The story of Cain and Abel, rival brothers was brought to the mid-east by the Hittites an indo-european people (c.1800 BCE). The indo-europeans brought their folk tales of rival brothers to where ever they migrated. Caster & Pollax, Romulus & Remus,  Dharam & Veer to name a few.

Next comes the story of Seth brought to the mid-east  by way of Persia by the indo-european tribes of Medes. The Semetic speaking Hebrew used the word Seth to mean "set, or appointed"  it's actually an Indo-European word for "point out/ that which follows" notice the similar meanings.  Seth plays a very prominent roll in the Zorastrian religion has does Mithras the main source for te Jesus myth.

Folk tales on top  of folk tales and when they started writing them down all the stories got mixed in together, it's called the OT.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

fjp800
fjp800's picture
User is offlineOffline
Exactly!  Right on!  Just

Exactly!  Right on!  Just wish that Religious zealots would open their eyes and minds to realize that just as with Big Foot... The Bible is just a myth.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
You may not get that the

You may not get that the people who do the killing over religion, are for the most part people who know better.

This is why the bigwigs want to keep religion, it's an easy out to start wars and control people. "allah" or "god" demand's it.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

fjp800
fjp800's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:You may not

robj101 wrote:

You may not get that the people who do the killing over religion, are for the most part people who know better.

This is why the bigwigs want to keep religion, it's an easy out to start wars and control people. "allah" or "god" demand's it.

If they knew better they would not be killing "in the name of god".   Why would a god, who supposedly created man, want to see man killing the the people he created in the first place?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
fjp800 wrote:robj101

fjp800 wrote:

robj101 wrote:

If they knew better they would not be killing "in the name of god".   Why would a god, who supposedly created man, want to see man killing the the people he created in the first place?

Man is a rational, control seeking, tool making animal. To that end he created God.

With an ancient god who currently has no body, it's easy for men to appoint themselves as his spokespeople.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
 hold on.....

kapkao wrote:

We're not blind, you know...

fjp800
fjp800's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:fjp800

jcgadfly wrote:

fjp800 wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Man is a rational, control seeking, tool making animal. To that end he created God.

With an ancient god who currently has no body, it's easy for men to appoint themselves as his spokespeople.

Unfortunately, you are correct!!!!!  "His" spokesman on earth.  Damn it... So, as long as it is in his name.. All is AOK with beheading, bombing, shooting, hanging, torture, killing abortion doctors, or anything else these nuts can come up with!??!

fjp800
fjp800's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:kapkao wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

kapkao wrote:

Please expand??  Also dp?

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
 dp = (accidental) double

dp = (accidental) double post. I just deleted it.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
fjp800 wrote:robj101

fjp800 wrote:

robj101 wrote:

What I'm saying is they use it as an excuse. "faith is believeing something you know aint true" -twain

The wars we have been in recently, if everyone was an atheist, and understood that when you are dead you are dead, there would be less killing. As it stands, it's ok to send people to die as long as you can keep them thinking heaven is real. So, does it not make sense that leaders would want the people to believe in this stuff? It's a control tool, the leader, or guy who sends them off to die does not have to believe in it, just make the rest of them do so.

"God did it" it's the answer for anything you want it to be.

Bush mentioned "god" so often, and had the gall to say the dead soldiers are in a better place..yea, 6 feet under.

As an aside, the last people you want to debate with, are preachers and clergymen. Their very livelihood depends on faith. The dumbest are the most faithful and willing, and the smartest are the most devious and seemingly devout.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:kapkao

Kapkao wrote:

kapkao wrote:

i think i hear the pot calling for the kettle...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

fjp800
fjp800's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with you.. How sad

I agree with you.. How sad it is to know that without religion.. this world would be a far better place.. Maybe with the exception of Buddhists....

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
fjp800 wrote:I agree with

fjp800 wrote:

I agree with you.. How sad it is to know that without religion.. this world would be a far better place.. Maybe with the exception of Buddhists....

Don't give the Buddhists a pass, the Cambodia of Pol Pot, and events around the Tamul Tiger conflict in Sri Lanka suggest otherwise. Anything which encourages disconnection from reality is potentially a problem, either encouraging evils or allowing people to ignore them.

The Jaines, maybe...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
fjp800 wrote:Exactly! 

fjp800 wrote:

Exactly!  Right on!  Just wish that Religious zealots would open their eyes and minds to realize that just as with Big Foot... The Bible is just a myth.

SON OF A BITCH! WHY AM I ALWAYS THE LAST ONE TO KNOW? BIG FOOT ISN'T REAL?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

fjp800
fjp800's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry I was to break the

Sorry I was to break the news to you... But, unlike the believers of JC, you found out while you were still alive!!! Smiling

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
fjp800 wrote:Please

fjp800 wrote:

Please expand??

You're using a really awesome font size, but it's so big it reads as if it were for my great grandmother's eyes...

iwbiek wrote:

I bet you say that to all the girls...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

fjp800
fjp800's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:fjp800

Kapkao wrote:

fjp800 wrote:

Please expand??

You're using a really awesome font size, but it's so big it reads as if it were for my great grandmother's eyes...

iwbiek wrote:

I bet you say that to all the girls...

What size should I use??  By the way I am a 70 year old GRANDFATHER!!  Smiling

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
fjp800 wrote:What size

fjp800 wrote:

What size should I use??  By the way I am a 70 year old GRANDFATHER!!  Smiling

Oh... well then this is awkward...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

chndlrjhnsn
chndlrjhnsn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:fjp800

Brian37 wrote:

fjp800 wrote:

I don't believe in Bigfoot, but a naturally selected ape man running around in the woods is a lot more plausible than miracles and prophecies.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
chndlrjhnsn wrote:I don't

chndlrjhnsn wrote:

I don't believe in Bigfoot, but a naturally selected ape man running around in the woods is a lot more plausible than miracles and prophecies.

Your sarcasm detector... it's due for a checkup.

fjp800
fjp800's picture
User is offlineOffline
chndlrjhnsn wrote:Brian37

chndlrjhnsn wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

fjp800 wrote:

I can't argue with your logic!!!!

fjp800
fjp800's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sarcasm??? Or a valid point

Sarcasm??? Or a valid point of view??  Smiling

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
fjp800 wrote:Sarcasm??? Or a

fjp800 wrote: