New to the forums

metalbandsinger
metalbandsinger's picture
User is offlineOffline
New to the forums

my name is Gary. I'm new to the forums here at the RRS site. i'm new to the site all together. i first heard of the RRS while cruising the youtube videos on debates. i came across the popular RRS vs. they way of the master ministries. i have to say that i really found it to be quite....well recycled. being an athiest for as long as i have, i of course understood every point that Kelly and Brian made. and then listening to Kirk and Ray was the same thing i've heard christians say over and over again. almost as if they don't quite understand the question. (i have to admit, the best part was the opening arguments in which ray and kirk are challenged to prove god without the use of biblical references, and the first thing Ray did was reference the bible.) but when they mentioned the RRS int he program i was interested. yeah, okay, partially because Kelly was pretty. but mostly because i've kinda reached the point where i think that religion is hurting humanity so much, that it's time to let it go. i used to subscribe to the whole "whatever gets you through the day" idea. but more and more it seemed like being a right wing religious zealot was cool again (if it ever was). well that worried me. with all the atrocities that are committed in the name of a god, i thought that it was only a matter of time before humanity sees some kind of global tragedy due to religion. as a concerned member of the human race i just felt it was my responsibility to try and help to steer folks away from this outdated belief system and into the 21st century idea of "question everything". thanks for having me and feel free to say hi!

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Hey metal.  You're right,

Hey metal.  You're right, Christians haven't introduced a new argument in sometime.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice to meet you, Metal.

Paisley has a new theistic argument. You do have a soul because it's not there. Compelling.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! I agree, the

Welcome!

I agree, the debate is pretty stagnate.  But most people don't know that, so there is a lot of education/debate/fighting to be done.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums. I'm

Welcome to the forums. I'm of the opinion that each person that you can reach with a little rational thinking will ultimately pay off in the long run. As more people abandon fantasy and come to the real world out of the "Matrix" the stronger we will become. Fantasy does not hold up very well in the real world as our religious friends are finding out as more and more people abandon them. Glad you have joined us.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome.

Does your avatar mean you are a metal band singer, we have others like that on site. They even post their videos. Personally I can sing opera but nobody wants to hear it.  Welcome on board.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, welcome,

Hey, welcome, Gary!

metalbandsinger wrote:
but mostly because i've kinda reached the point where i think that religion is hurting humanity so much, that it's time to let it go. i used to subscribe to the whole "whatever gets you through the day" idea. but more and more it seemed like being a right wing religious zealot was cool again (if it ever was). well that worried me. with all the atrocities that are committed in the name of a god, i thought that it was only a matter of time before humanity sees some kind of global tragedy due to religion. as a concerned member of the human race i just felt it was my responsibility to try and help to steer folks away from this outdated belief system and into the 21st century idea of "question everything". thanks for having me and feel free to say hi!

Don't gross out, this story has a point: A few weeks ago, I got an ingrown toenail and it got infected. I cleaned it and soaked it in salt water, and the inflammation died down, so I thought, "Okay, looks like I took care of it, no problem." The next day, it was still inflamed. The day after that, it started to get painful and swollen. I won't go into the gory details, but I soaked it again, etc. I kept thinking, "Okay, it's going to go away eventually. My immune system will kick in and take care of the infection." But it didn't.

So I went to the doctor, and he took one look at it and said, "You definitely need an anti-biotic." So I got the anti-biotic, and it's finally healing.

Ingrown toenail, so what, eh? Hey, an infection's an infection, and if it goes untreated, it can get into the blood, and eventually kill you. We're lucky we live in an age where we have things like anti-biotics. Before modern medicine, a freaking wooden splinter could be lethal.

Too much information, I know. But your post reminded me of this incident because it's exactly the same with religion.

We've left the infection of religion fester too long, and it's threatening to go septic on us. The time for half-assed first-aid is long past. It's not getting better on its own. Time to break out the serious medication of rationality! We're lucky we live in an age with things like logic, critical thinking, and reason. Before modern science, a freaking crucifixion could send you into a Dark Age.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

Does your avatar mean you are a metal band singer, we have others like that on site. They even post their videos. Personally I can sing opera but nobody wants to hear it.  Welcome on board.

Do you have a youtube account or something?  My wife loves opera.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
welcome

Atheistextremist wrote:

Paisley has a new theistic argument. You do have a soul because it's not there. Compelling.

I try to avoid Paisley - and Fonzie.  For different reasons.  I am not interested in pure philosophy - my apologies to those who are.  And AE, this just confirms my lack of interest in debating with him. 

PS - welcome, Metal.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

I would like to hear it!  I didn't know - what do you sing?  Register, language, period?  Ah, we saw one of the traveling Cats shows tonight.  Such fun.  The guy who sang Growl Tiger was pretty good, and they didn't lip sync.  Made me tired watching all those young, athletic people dance and flip around.

edit: sorry, I wasn't going to post twice.....

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Welcome from a fellow newbie and from another concerned member of the human species, I fully agree that religions are dangerous social institutions that do far more harm then good and need to be questioned and defeated asap. It's always good to see the areligious start to push back against the social pressure exerted by the cults. Since we are on the topic of becoming a more vocal atheist, check this video out. I see an atheist tell all book into the sordid details of the shadows within Jesus Camp in 15 years!

I hope this kid gets away from his family as soon as he can, so they can't try and beat the questioning and the demand for evidence out of him. Poor kid, as a person from an atheistic family, I can never know how bad it would be to have to choose between your family or reality.

EDIT: spelling

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

metalbandsinger
User is offlineOffline
not anymore

funny thing...i moved to seattle as a vocalist for bands. i created the email addy and then myspace accounts and what have you...you know trying to get the name out there. well i ended up going back to being the bassist for metal bands instead (i started on bass. it's just more fund for me). i'm actually in the seattle metal band Sikend. i'll be more than happy to give any kind of info if anyone wants to hear it...i just didn't want to use this as another place to promote the band...didn't want to shove it down everyone's throat. it's not like i'm a Jehova's Witness or anything......

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum,

Welcome to the forum, metalbandsinger.

Hey, I'm living in Seattle too. I'm a student at UW. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

metalbandsinger
User is offlineOffline
good stuff

good stuff bro. for any kind of good anti-religion rhtoric you should check out the band Sikend. always good lyrics about the topic ()as well as a lot of political commentary), and they usually have some prettyu good visuals. and always a statement to make. good show

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, people in my back yard!

metalbandsinger wrote:
i'm actually in the seattle metal band Sikend

butterbattle wrote:
Hey, I'm living in Seattle too.

Hey! I live in Everett, WA. If you ever have a live show, post up the info up here, I'm always interested in new bands. We should try to get some more social events for free-thinkers/atheists around the Puget Sound.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!