Premonitions

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
Posts: 598
Joined: 2009-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Premonitions

Last night, I dreamed that my boss called me to tell me she might be firing me next week but wasn't sure. It was weird, I never dream things like that, and I was thinking about it still when I woke up. Today, I had a very uncommon meeting with her where she reprimanded me for a huge mistake I made on the job last week. My job is not at risk, because I kick ass at what I do and everybody knows it. But I'm curious how you all would account for this. I don't believe in coincidences, and I know how I might be inclined to explain such things, but I'm curious what you folks do with experiences like this, rationally speaking.


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2399
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
Easier then you think......

 

 

 

                    You knew a week ago you screwed up,   the memory was in your subconsious  and therefore a prime source for your dream world. You knew you were going to hear about it sooner or later;  from your boss (who else).  Your dreams simply over reacted to a coming encounter;  dreams have a tendency to do that.

 

 

                      Now if you can dream about next weeks winning lottery numbers and get it right, I'll consider psychic ability.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
I'd go with what Jeff's

 

saying here but dreams are a bit weird. I guess you can't put your brain in park. It goes off exploring on it's own when your executive functions put their feet up. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
I was discussing dreams with

I was discussing dreams with a friend the other day. I don't think I ever had one come true but I sure have had some strange one's. If you smoke and decide to try those nicotine patches to try quitting, you better take them off well before bedtime. I had some real zingers that stuck with me unlike most dreams that tend to fade so fast you don't remember much.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
Posts: 598
Joined: 2009-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:You knew a

Jeffrick wrote:
You knew a week ago you screwed up,   the memory was in your subconsious  and therefore a prime source for your dream world. You knew you were going to hear about it sooner or later;  from your boss (who else).  Your dreams simply over reacted to a coming encounter;  dreams have a tendency to do that.

The dream didn't come last week. It didn't come a few days before the encounter. It was literally five hours before the event. You're reaching.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
My interpretation

 

at least the one I agreed with, was that in your mind you knew there was a problem and it was subconsciously digging away at you. It's definitely an unusual coincidence. You obviously think there is some additional significance to the dream?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13675
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:Jeffrick

smartypants wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:
You knew a week ago you screwed up,   the memory was in your subconsious  and therefore a prime source for your dream world. You knew you were going to hear about it sooner or later;  from your boss (who else).  Your dreams simply over reacted to a coming encounter;  dreams have a tendency to do that.

The dream didn't come last week. It didn't come a few days before the encounter. It was literally five hours before the event. You're reaching.

No it is not a stretch. Your fear of reprimand was there before and you simply were unaware of it until it manifested into the dream. Your problem is your sample rate. You have also had plenty of times where you weren't aware of your subconscious and this didn't happen.

You have also had times in your life where you screwed up, didn't have a dream about it, and didn't have someone reprimand you. It is simply a case of focusing on the hits and ignoring the misses. You aren't aware of all the times this didn't happen. It is simply part of life and a crap shoot and it simply worked out that way and you simply see what you want to see. From a psychological stand point it feels freaky, but once you realize it is all in your head you simply move on. It really is merely something you focused on and not a big enough sample rate of all the other times you screwed up where this didn't happen.

I have seen the same crap at work with my co-workers who smoke, and not just on this job, but prior jobs. I always here them say, "I always get interrupted when I try to smoke". DUH, when you work at a business servicing customers that is going to happen. Not only that, they don't notice what I see in all the times the do smoke and don't get interrupted or the combo of all the employees who take brakes over a year's period. It is easy for them to fall for that because it "seems real" but again of course you are going to get inturrupted, DUH, but no magic too it.

You didn't have a premonition, you had a dream and it just so happened you were aware of it and it just so happened that you got got a talking to. Nothing more.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:Now if you

Jeffrick wrote:
Now if you can dream about next weeks winning lottery numbers and get it right, I'll consider psychic ability.

 

Actually, I did that once about 30 years ago. It happens that I talk in my sleep and apparently, I shouted a string of numbers one night. My friends did not tell me about it until a couple of days later. At that point, I just had to ask the question of what the winning numbers were on the morning in question, so off to the public library I went.

 

Son of a bitch, that would have been a $10,000 win if I had been told in time to work it.

 

However, what we need is also repeatability and even though I still talk in my sleep, it has never been numbers again. If I was ever told about any more numbers, I would certainly consider it worthwhile to buy a cheap VOX switched recorder at radio shack.

 

As far as the premonition goes, I too am leaning towards it just happening to bubble to the top of your dream world when it did. Really, you could have anticipated the reprimand and as the days pass and no reprimand comes, it only becomes more urgent for your dreamer to act on the feeling. Also, perhaps you could have anticipated another factor like knowing that you would certainly run into your boss on that day and not some other.

 

Since you say that you do not believe in coincidences, then you are also likely discounting the fact that really odd shit happens from time to time without being paranormal in origin.

 

For example:

 

Arthur Lintgen has the ability to look at a vinyl record with the label taped over and tell by visual inspection only what is on the record. In some cases, he has even been able to identify the name of the conductor and the orchestra. James Randi has confirmed this ability but as the guy made no paranormal claim, no prize money was paid out.

 

Lee Hadwin is a guy who is apparently a moderately talented artist. But only when he is sleep walking. There is video of him at work on youtube but it requires suspension of disbelief as the clips are too short to establish that he is actually asleep.

 

 

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13675
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
At work I am very hyper

At work I am very hyper aware of my surroundings and if I see someone who needs something I anticipate their move, much like a move in a game of chess. However, since they are not aware of what I am doing, it can come across as if I am reading their minds, when the reality is that all I am doing is picking up on visual clues.

It is very easy for one's own mind to fool itself into seeing things or reading things into something that isn't really there.

It was coincidence. Nothing more.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
Posts: 191
Joined: 2008-04-17
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:Jeffrick

smartypants wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:
You knew a week ago you screwed up,   the memory was in your subconsious  and therefore a prime source for your dream world. You knew you were going to hear about it sooner or later;  from your boss (who else).  Your dreams simply over reacted to a coming encounter;  dreams have a tendency to do that.

The dream didn't come last week. It didn't come a few days before the encounter. It was literally five hours before the event. You're reaching.

You're reaching if you think this is anything more than hit counting.  The reprimand following so closely on the heels of the dream reinforced your subjective notion of the dream's importance.  If your boss had chosen to reprimand you a day later, or a day earlier, would you be tempted to consider the dream particularly relevant? Is it relevant that you dreamed one thing, but another thing occurred, however related in concept they might be?  Memories of dreams are notoriously unreliable, so could you, perhaps, actually be remembering the dream differently based on the experience of the reprimand?

Religion is a virus.
Fight the infection.


smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
Posts: 598
Joined: 2009-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:at

Atheistextremist wrote:

at least the one I agreed with, was that in your mind you knew there was a problem and it was subconsciously digging away at you. It's definitely an unusual coincidence. You obviously think there is some additional significance to the dream?

Not that there's anything particularly significant about it, but I don't happen to think it's a coincidence, either. I had mostly forgotten about the incident, since it happened last week. When I was called into her office, I actually had no idea why.


smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
Posts: 598
Joined: 2009-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
Also, perhaps you could have anticipated another factor like knowing that you would certainly run into your boss on that day and not some other.

Well, I was called specifically into her office, it wasn't an accident, but I get what you're saying.

 

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Since you say that you do not believe in coincidences, then you are also likely discounting the fact that really odd shit happens from time to time without being paranormal in origin.

Well, that would depend on what "odd shit" it is we're talking about.

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

 

Arthur Lintgen has the ability to look at a vinyl record with the label taped over and tell by visual inspection only what is on the record. In some cases, he has even been able to identify the name of the conductor and the orchestra. James Randi has confirmed this ability but as the guy made no paranormal claim, no prize money was paid out.

This isn't that weird. As a DJ for many years, I came to recognize patterns in the grooves of records. In fact, you have to be able to do it in some cases, to quickly find breaks, for instance. And if these are his own records, then I don't think it's a stretch that he could have them memorized just from repeated listening.


smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
Posts: 598
Joined: 2009-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Kavis wrote:You're reaching

Kavis wrote:

You're reaching if you think this is anything more than hit counting.  The reprimand following so closely on the heels of the dream reinforced your subjective notion of the dream's importance.  If your boss had chosen to reprimand you a day later, or a day earlier, would you be tempted to consider the dream particularly relevant? Is it relevant that you dreamed one thing, but another thing occurred, however related in concept they might be?  Memories of dreams are notoriously unreliable, so could you, perhaps, actually be remembering the dream differently based on the experience of the reprimand?

No, I remember dreams quite accurately, I've remembered strings of numbers (which I probably should have played in the lottery, but I don't put much store in that). I've remembered things in vivid colors, and a lot of complex things that I've been able to sketch when I woke up.

If I'd had the dream AFTER the event, I wouldn't have posted this question...


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13675
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:Kavis

smartypants wrote:

Kavis wrote:

You're reaching if you think this is anything more than hit counting.  The reprimand following so closely on the heels of the dream reinforced your subjective notion of the dream's importance.  If your boss had chosen to reprimand you a day later, or a day earlier, would you be tempted to consider the dream particularly relevant? Is it relevant that you dreamed one thing, but another thing occurred, however related in concept they might be?  Memories of dreams are notoriously unreliable, so could you, perhaps, actually be remembering the dream differently based on the experience of the reprimand?

No, I remember dreams quite accurately, I've remembered strings of numbers (which I probably should have played in the lottery, but I don't put much store in that). I've remembered things in vivid colors, and a lot of complex things that I've been able to sketch when I woke up.

If I'd had the dream AFTER the event, I wouldn't have posted this question...

Still irrelevant. Everyone's brains are just as diverse as all the species in on the planet in the sense that how they act and what chemical and electro activity ranges from individuals to individuals. Just like skin color and race and height are are a range, we are still all human with the same organs.

This "ability" is not an "ability" any more than landing on 34 on a roulette wheel is an "ability". It is simply your own body and genetics and chemical makeup and awareness and subconscious and HOW you chose to interpret these things.

To be sure of what you think you see, you have to conduct a test beyond your own personal perceptions and interpretations and have the tires kicked by those who have no horse in the race either way. "Experiences" can seem real and feel real, but are notoriously unreliable.

Dawkins in "The God Delusion" describes this as the moth falsely seeking the light bulb which is not the moonlight it seeks.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
I guess I don't get it

I guess I don't get it though, why is the dream special, you weren't even in danger of being fired, doesn't that mean the dream is off base?  If it were a genuine premonition I would expect it to be 100% accurate, like you experienced the meeting before it happened, rather than had a dream that resembled the meeting.

 

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
Posts: 598
Joined: 2009-03-20
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:I guess I

mellestad wrote:

I guess I don't get it though, why is the dream special, you weren't even in danger of being fired, doesn't that mean the dream is off base?  If it were a genuine premonition I would expect it to be 100% accurate, like you experienced the meeting before it happened, rather than had a dream that resembled the meeting.

The accuracy of the prediction is kind of beside the point of this post. It was similar enough and unusual enough for me to immediately see a connection. The father of a friend of mine had a dream that Kennedy would be assassinated the night before it happened. That example will work just as well.


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:mellestad

smartypants wrote:

mellestad wrote:

I guess I don't get it though, why is the dream special, you weren't even in danger of being fired, doesn't that mean the dream is off base?  If it were a genuine premonition I would expect it to be 100% accurate, like you experienced the meeting before it happened, rather than had a dream that resembled the meeting.

The accuracy of the prediction is kind of beside the point of this post. It was similar enough and unusual enough for me to immediately see a connection. The father of a friend of mine had a dream that Kennedy would be assassinated the night before it happened. That example will work just as well.

But I think it is the point.  We all have dreams all the time.  Sometimes something will happen that will remind us of one of our dreams, it is inevitable, especially since our dreams usually relate to experiences we have had, or are having.

How many people do you think have had dreams about Kennedy being assassinated that did not match the correct time?  Why is your friends dad's dream special, but their's were not, besides chance?  I would be impressed if 1) there was some kind of mass event with multiple, reliable people, b),or if a particular person had a reliable history of such dreams, or c) Someone reported a dream that turned out to be actually, specifically prophetic of an event they could have no knowledge of (and even then a one off event would have to be terribly impressive).  If your friend woke up in a cold sweat and said, "Kennedy is going to be shot in the head at 12:30 PM on November 22nd!"  Then I would be impressed, if it could be proven to have actually happened before the assassination.

We've had this discussion before, I don't know if I trust your understanding of chance and statistical probability.

 

 

If I have to type assassination one more time my fingers are going to fall off.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
Posts: 598
Joined: 2009-03-20
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:How many

mellestad wrote:

How many people do you think have had dreams about Kennedy being assassinated that did not match the correct time?  Why is your friends dad's dream special, but their's were not, besides chance?  I would be impressed if 1) there was some kind of mass event with multiple, reliable people, b),or if a particular person had a reliable history of such dreams, or c) Someone reported a dream that turned out to be actually, specifically prophetic of an event they could have no knowledge of (and even then a one off event would have to be terribly impressive).  If your friend woke up in a cold sweat and said, "Kennedy is going to be shot in the head at 12:30 PM on November 22nd!"  Then I would be impressed, if it could be proven to have actually happened before the assassination.

We've had this discussion before, I don't know if I trust your understanding of chance and statistical probability.

 

 

If I have to type assassination one more time my fingers are going to fall off.

As I've said elsewhere, these kind of things have happened to me way more times than I can count, and way more times than could possibly be attributed to chance. I actually could count on one hand the amount of prophetic dreams I've had, if I could even remember them, but I'm including other experiences you'd likely write off as crazy.

So you think I have a shitty memory or am choosing my hits. That's irrelevant. Let's say I had dreamed an unpredictable event in all its exact details the night before it happened. Hypothetically speaking, how would you rationally explain such a thing?


Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
Posts: 191
Joined: 2008-04-17
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:mellestad

smartypants wrote:

mellestad wrote:

How many people do you think have had dreams about Kennedy being assassinated that did not match the correct time?  Why is your friends dad's dream special, but their's were not, besides chance?  I would be impressed if 1) there was some kind of mass event with multiple, reliable people, b),or if a particular person had a reliable history of such dreams, or c) Someone reported a dream that turned out to be actually, specifically prophetic of an event they could have no knowledge of (and even then a one off event would have to be terribly impressive).  If your friend woke up in a cold sweat and said, "Kennedy is going to be shot in the head at 12:30 PM on November 22nd!"  Then I would be impressed, if it could be proven to have actually happened before the assassination.

We've had this discussion before, I don't know if I trust your understanding of chance and statistical probability.

 

 

If I have to type assassination one more time my fingers are going to fall off.

As I've said elsewhere, these kind of things have happened to me way more times than I can count, and way more times than could possibly be attributed to chance. I actually could count on one hand the amount of prophetic dreams I've had, if I could even remember them, but I'm including other experiences you'd likely write off as crazy.

So you think I have a shitty memory or am choosing my hits. That's irrelevant. Let's say I had dreamed an unpredictable event in all its exact details the night before it happened. Hypothetically speaking, how would you rationally explain such a thing?

People dream (that is, experience rapid eye movement) several times per night.  If you get about eight hours of sleep per night, the time spent in REM sleep can be up to about two hours, total.  Three to five dream sessions every night for a year is ~1100 - ~1800 dream sessions.  Even if you don't remember all of your dreams, there are still plenty of "hits" to remember, where something you dream will seem subjectively similar to something you later experience.  The dreams that do not seem significant, or at least interesting, are later forgotten. 

You don't have to have a particularly shitty memory or be particularly irrational to fall victim to these kinds of mistakes.  This is common wiring in the human brain: pattern-seeking creatures with brains prone to comatose hallucinations should not be surprised if, from time to time, one of those hallucinations seems relevant to waking life.

Edit: You remember the part of the dream where your boss announced she had to fire you.  Do you remember the parts of the dream that were NOT that?  If you can remember other parts, do you consider them to be relevant or insightful in any way? Stop being defensive for a moment and really question your own subjective experience of the dream.

Religion is a virus.
Fight the infection.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
disagreed.

smartypants wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:
You knew a week ago you screwed up,   the memory was in your subconsious  and therefore a prime source for your dream world. You knew you were going to hear about it sooner or later;  from your boss (who else).  Your dreams simply over reacted to a coming encounter;  dreams have a tendency to do that.

[...] You're reaching.

You're being pedantic. His post had little to do with when your dream(s) occured, and mostly to do with how they came to be.

On that note, the 'dream' state of the mind is nothing more than a creative outlet for the less readily accessible parts of the mind, or subconscious as Jeffrick called it. You have assorted experiences committed to less sophisticated regions and structures of your brain (usually in the occipital lobes,) which can only become accessible (or available to the conscience) in moments of relaxation or sleep.

When it comes to "premonitions" the question you should ask yourself is "How often do the realizations in my dreams have any practical effect on my conscious reality?" and "Is my own (human) prescience the result of some immaterial force that can't be grasped by logic, or is it simply a consequence of foresight, memory, passion, and creativity?"

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:mellestad

smartypants wrote:

mellestad wrote:

How many people do you think have had dreams about Kennedy being assassinated that did not match the correct time?  Why is your friends dad's dream special, but their's were not, besides chance?  I would be impressed if 1) there was some kind of mass event with multiple, reliable people, b),or if a particular person had a reliable history of such dreams, or c) Someone reported a dream that turned out to be actually, specifically prophetic of an event they could have no knowledge of (and even then a one off event would have to be terribly impressive).  If your friend woke up in a cold sweat and said, "Kennedy is going to be shot in the head at 12:30 PM on November 22nd!"  Then I would be impressed, if it could be proven to have actually happened before the assassination.

We've had this discussion before, I don't know if I trust your understanding of chance and statistical probability.

 

 

If I have to type assassination one more time my fingers are going to fall off.

As I've said elsewhere, these kind of things have happened to me way more times than I can count, and way more times than could possibly be attributed to chance. I actually could count on one hand the amount of prophetic dreams I've had, if I could even remember them, but I'm including other experiences you'd likely write off as crazy.

So you think I have a shitty memory or am choosing my hits. That's irrelevant. Let's say I had dreamed an unpredictable event in all its exact details the night before it happened. Hypothetically speaking, how would you rationally explain such a thing?

 

If such a hypothetical event happened I have no idea how I would explain it.  It would be magic.

But I've never heard or seen any premonition claims that actually crossed the line of 'coincidence' to 'woo'.

It sounds like you dream a lot.  Start keeping records of every dream you have every morning.  Write down as much detail as possible, then when you have a 'hit' make another notation that explains what real life event happened with as much detail as possible.  Compare.

 

Then go win the Randi prize.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
Posts: 598
Joined: 2009-03-20
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:If such a

mellestad wrote:

If such a hypothetical event happened I have no idea how I would explain it.  It would be magic.

This answer shows a real lack of imagination. And this is exactly why I believe rationality taken alone as the supreme master to be terribly limiting. As I said on this topic elsewhere, I'd find it a lot more satisfying to begin thinking about our perception of time and how we might not quite understand it all that well. This is a line of thinking that could lead to much more interesting (and scientific) things than simply dismissing it as "magic."

mellestad wrote:
But I've never heard or seen any premonition claims that actually crossed the line of 'coincidence' to 'woo'.

That's what closed-mindedness will do!

mellestad wrote:
It sounds like you dream a lot.  Start keeping records of every dream you have every morning.  Write down as much detail as possible, then when you have a 'hit' make another notation that explains what real life event happened with as much detail as possible.  Compare.

 

Then go win the Randi prize.

I used to make extremely copious, detailed descriptions of my dreams. Once in the habit, I began training myself to remember more and more from each dream. I'd fill pages and pages of notebooks with descriptions and drawings, etc. I just don't have the time anymore, since not long after I get up, I have to start getting ready for work. In all those years, though, I can't think of a single one of them that turned out to be prophetic. So I don't think I'd make a good test subject. I'm not sure anyone would. These things, if they do occur, happen so randomly, and seem to be connected to irreplicable events with strong emotional impact in our lives.


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:I used to

smartypants wrote:

I used to make extremely copious, detailed descriptions of my dreams. Once in the habit, I began training myself to remember more and more from each dream. I'd fill pages and pages of notebooks with descriptions and drawings, etc. I just don't have the time anymore, since not long after I get up, I have to start getting ready for work. In all those years, though, I can't think of a single one of them that turned out to be prophetic. So I don't think I'd make a good test subject. I'm not sure anyone would. These things, if they do occur, happen so randomly, and seem to be connected to irreplicable events with strong emotional impact in our lives.

 

Just read what you wrote above.

 

Am I missing something?  What you just wrote is exactly why I don't believe prophetic dreams are 'real'.  You call me close minded because I don't automatically attribute chance and coincidence to woo!

My default position is 'non-woo'.  Just like in the homeopathy discussion.  I'm sorry if you think asking for evidence about extraordinary claims is 'closed minded'.  I don't know what to tell you.

 

To sum up:  You have had tens of thousands of dreams in your life.  You think that because a few of those matched up -very roughly- to events in your waking life that you have seen the future while you sleep.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
Posts: 598
Joined: 2009-03-20
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Am I missing

mellestad wrote:

Am I missing something?  What you just wrote is exactly why I don't believe prophetic dreams are 'real'.  You call me close minded because I don't automatically attribute chance and coincidence to woo!

I'll be honest, I have no idea what "woo" is. All I can say is that the experiences I've had have left not the slightest shred of doubt in my mind that there is something else going on besides the hard, cold facts of rational experience. They have most decidedly transcended any notions of "chance" or "coincidence."

mellestad wrote:
I'm sorry if you think asking for evidence about extraordinary claims is 'closed minded'.  I don't know what to tell you.

But I never said that. I never said that your request for evidence was closed-minded. I said that your inability to conceive of an explanation outside of conventional, accepted science--as it's understood at present--is limiting and unimaginative. And I'll add, perhaps controversially, that none of the great, revolutionary scientists in human history could possibly have thought that way. If they had, we'd never have had the great leaps in our understanding of the universe that we've had.

mellestad wrote:
To sum up:  You have had tens of thousands of dreams in your life.  You think that because a few of those matched up -very roughly- to events in your waking life that you have seen the future while you sleep.

I didn't say that, either. What I'm asking for is a plausible explanation that doesn't depend on the insulting assertions that I have a shitty memory, which I don't, or that I'm prone to schizophrenic delusions, which I'm not.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13675
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Quote: What I'm asking for

Quote:
What I'm asking for is a plausible explanation .

Not only is it plausible, it is fact that the human brain can and often does fool us into thinking we see or feel something and DO give us false perceptions.

What we do know and have tons of evidence for is that "experiences" are notorious by humans as being misinterpreted.

We also here in this thread, many here, gave you explanations that are within nature and gave you natural mundane reasons for WHY humans CAN get it wrong when they "think they feel" something.

What you are doing here is really no different psychologically with your claim, is the same as on Halloween when you have a kid in a dark room stick their hand in a bowl of black olives and tell them they are eyeballs. In your case it is your brain giving you a signal that that you chose to perceive the way you are perceive it.

Another example of this is the optical illusion where the guy in the video looks like he is in a normal looking hallway(size) and then walks towards the back of the camera's view and the hallway in reality is physically distorted.

Amputees can and do get false pain from a missing finger or missing foot.

Those are three examples of the brain sending someone a false signal. Emotions and feelings and all our sensory perceptions all go on in our brains. Since we are not perfect and neither our are brains, we can have false signals.

You simply in this case are filling in the gap with what you chose to see and are ignoring all the times this didn't happen. It really was nothing more than a coincidence.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:mellestad

smartypants wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Am I missing something?  What you just wrote is exactly why I don't believe prophetic dreams are 'real'.  You call me close minded because I don't automatically attribute chance and coincidence to woo!

I'll be honest, I have no idea what "woo" is. All I can say is that the experiences I've had have left not the slightest shred of doubt in my mind that there is something else going on besides the hard, cold facts of rational experience. They have most decidedly transcended any notions of "chance" or "coincidence."

mellestad wrote:
I'm sorry if you think asking for evidence about extraordinary claims is 'closed minded'.  I don't know what to tell you.

But I never said that. I never said that your request for evidence was closed-minded. I said that your inability to conceive of an explanation outside of conventional, accepted science--as it's understood at present--is limiting and unimaginative. And I'll add, perhaps controversially, that none of the great, revolutionary scientists in human history could possibly have thought that way. If they had, we'd never have had the great leaps in our understanding of the universe that we've had.

mellestad wrote:
To sum up:  You have had tens of thousands of dreams in your life.  You think that because a few of those matched up -very roughly- to events in your waking life that you have seen the future while you sleep.

I didn't say that, either. What I'm asking for is a plausible explanation that doesn't depend on the insulting assertions that I have a shitty memory, which I don't, or that I'm prone to schizophrenic delusions, which I'm not.

 

Everything you have described about your experience tells me it is not special in any way.  If you have something more extraordinary to relate than your story with your boss, please share!

As it stands I have no reason to come up with any other rational cause for your dreams, since I don't see anything special or amazing about them.  Sorry.

 

Honestly, you sound like Luminon and his Heron's Beard argument, which basically boils down the the idea that anything even mildly unusual must have a 'unusual' answer.  I just don't buy it.  What is more likely: 1) You happened to have a dream that related in some way to your waking time, but is otherwise normal 2) While you slept, time and space bent in such a way as to shatter reality and give your subconscious mind a window into the future.

Again, I'm sorry, but your experience is not extraordinary enough to throw the bat signal up calling the brightest scientific minds in the world to identify.  You have shown conclusively, through your own research, that this 'ability' is totally not testable.  This is just like homeopathy smarty: Before anyone is going to take you seriously, you need to show that there is something to take seriously in the first place.  You don't have evidence, you don't have repeatability, you are not willing to subject your opinions to falsification and you are steadfastly clinging to the idea that your dreams are prophetic without showing a good reason why you believe it to be so, then calling me narrow minded and uncreative when I don't accept your dubious claims at face value and immediately start a career attempting to whip up lingo to explain your trip through time.

There is a person on this board who will do that though, and his name is Luminon.  When you accept claims at face value and attach science buzzwords to them he is what you get.  I have not seen a single useful thing come about as a result of his methodology, and I am not about to start applying it willy-nilly without a damned good reason.

 

What do you expect us to do?  So far, everything we know about time tells us that you cannot see the future or the past.  It is practically impossible and theoretically impossible.  Unless you can come up with some way to demonstrate that your dreams are actually violating the accepted scientific model I don't think you can expect anyone to have any helpful commentary.  But go ahead and call me unimaginative because I am not able to use your story as motivation to come up with a plausible hypothesis that violates all known physical laws in the universe and restructures our understanding of time.

 

 

And don't take it personally.  I am not insulting you, I am just saying I think you are wrong and have told you what I would need to give your ideas more thought.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.