A new creationist crock

Pillowpants
atheist
Pillowpants's picture
User is offlineOffline
A new creationist crock

Okay probably not not but new to me nonetheless.  Many atheists including myself mock creationists without fully understanding how uneducated some really are.  We all know creationists are uneducated, if they were educated they would accept evolution.  I may just have discovered the stupidest one of them all.  My sister.  Last night she was listening to her biology professor's recording, she is a nursing major.  The subject of evolution comes up and she immediately states that it is "Lies from Satan".  I go over and read it and the paragraph is about gene drift in populations.   We get to talking about evolution and she says "Evolution can't be true.  I just couldn't imagine being a monkey in a different life whooping around and screeching in the jungle..."  She then went on to say that science is godless and immoral, which begs the question "Why the fuck are studying to be a nurse!?"

Stupidest crock you've ever heard, right?

I'm saddening that my own family is so god damned stupid.  They are so close minded there is NOTHING that can penetrate and nothing that can convince them to even educate themselves what evolution is.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
not just theists

Science/Technology is "ruining the environment", "lies of satan", and so on.

Once had an argument with a Greenpeace rep.  I'm sure she couldn't be representative of the entire organization, at least I hope not.  She wanted us all to give up harmful technology.  Fine.  What is harmful?  You know, the poisons we put on our land.  Oh, like the coal tar dyes used in manufacturing your sweater?  Our conversation didn't last very long.

As a nurse, your sister should know better.  Would she like to give up anesthesia, antibiotics, pain killers, surgery, x-rays, MRIs, CT scans, sheets, laundry, toilets, hot and cold running water, syringes, clothes?  When people object to my attitude, I tell them a fire-hardened stick is science/technology and without fire-hardened sticks, our ancestors would have been a lot hungrier.

Hang in there.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Never mind

Pillowpants wrote:

The subject of evolution comes up and she immediately states that it is "Lies from Satan".  I go over and read it and the paragraph is about gene drift in populations.   We get to talking about evolution and she says "Evolution can't be true.  I just couldn't imagine being a monkey in a different life whooping around and screeching in the jungle..."  She then went on to say that science is godless and immoral, which begs the question "Why the fuck are studying to be a nurse!?"

I'm saddening that my own family is so god damned stupid.  They are so close minded there is NOTHING that can penetrate and nothing that can convince them to even educate themselves what evolution is.

Never mind Pillow - I have family members like this. My big brother is a languages major, my little brother a lawyer, my little sister is a journalist and they all decry evolution (they're in their late 30s and 40s, mind you). They wriggle and writhe and insist on having intermediate forms that blend monkeys and fish. They refuse to understand selection of advantageous genetic polymorphisms through environmental pressure. Even though it's a recently proven scientific fact that each human parent contributes about 30 genetic mutations to an offspring, they will not accept this mechanism over time might lead to the shaping of all species. Delightfully, they are fossil deniers. The pathetic story of eden carries more weight than a fucking great T-Rex skeleton. More weight than 100 T-Rex skeletons. There's a simple reason for their blindness. They want to live forever and there is no known cure.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pillowpants wrote:I just

Pillowpants wrote:
I just couldn't imagine being a monkey in a different life whooping around and screeching in the jungle..."

Lol, looks like she has it confused with reincarnation? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Science/Technology

cj wrote:

Science/Technology is "ruining the environment"

But this is true. Science and Technology has help us destroy the planet at ever increasing rates. I don't say you should give it all up though because that doesn't get us anywhere..

Onto topic now, thats a dam shame.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pillowpants wrote: Okay

Pillowpants wrote:

Okay probably not not but new to me nonetheless.  Many atheists including myself mock creationists without fully understanding how uneducated some really are.  We all know creationists are uneducated, if they were educated they would accept evolution.  I may just have discovered the stupidest one of them all.  My sister.  Last night she was listening to her biology professor's recording, she is a nursing major.  The subject of evolution comes up and she immediately states that it is "Lies from Satan".  I go over and read it and the paragraph is about gene drift in populations.   We get to talking about evolution and she says "Evolution can't be true.  I just couldn't imagine being a monkey in a different life whooping around and screeching in the jungle..."  She then went on to say that science is godless and immoral, which begs the question "Why the fuck are studying to be a nurse!?"

I'm saddening that my own family is so god damned stupid. 

Many creationists can be educated and still quite mock-worthy...

Quote:
They are so close minded there is NOTHING that can penetrate and nothing that can convince them to even educate themselves what evolution is.

Ask her to explain Creation Science then...

(Note: don't blame me if you lose your sanity after clicking this link)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)