I love underdogs, so maybe I'll become a Detroit Lions fan.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I love underdogs, so maybe I'll become a Detroit Lions fan.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100303/METRO/3030426/1361/SMART-buses-to-carry-atheist-message

GO MOTOR CITY! GO MOTOWN!

Add Detroit to the list of growing locals in America that now have heathen cooties!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 You like underdogs... just

You like underdogs... just stick with the Skins.  <rim shot>

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Sapient wrote: You like

Sapient wrote:

You like underdogs... just stick with the Skins.  <rim shot>

No no no I won't.... I love you too much to bring up the one monkey on your team's back. Starts with at "T" and ends with an "rophy"

But right now, I'll lick my wounds as a Skins fan and pray that a god does really exist and will smite Danny off the face of the planet. Danny is the cause of global warming. Think about all the trees that get turned into paper bags that Skins fans put over their heads.

BUT I promise you in all reality, seriously, if the Eagles make it to the big dance, I will root for them. No joke.

There is lots of their history I am a fan of. Jaws and McNabb to name a couple.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's been my mentality

That's been my mentality regarding the lions for my entire life.  Hasn't worked out so well.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Detroit isn't a real place. 

everlastingxxx
atheist
everlastingxxx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Haha, Redskins suck! When it

Haha, Redskins suck! When it was announced that Jason Campbell would be the starter next season i slightly almost believed there was a god.

Go Cowboys!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
everlastingxxx wrote:Haha,

everlastingxxx wrote:

Haha, Redskins suck! When it was announced that Jason Campbell would be the starter next season i slightly almost believed there was a god.

Go Cowboys!

SON OF A BITCH, DUDE RRS TOLERATES BLASPHEMY AND CUSSING, BUT EVEN EAGLES FANS AND REDSKINS FANS HAVE THEIR STANDARDS!

If you wish to have a long stay here, I'd advise you not using the "C" word in mixed company!

(Note to self: Did I think that, or type it?)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
ClockCat wrote: Detroit

ClockCat wrote:

You are probably too young to remember a 1970s t&a movie called "Kentucky Fried Movie"

It was parody of popular media of the time and was a mix of skits spoofing the times, not one movie or motif, but just the times in general.

There was spoof of the movie "A Fist Full Of Dollars" a real movie, parodied in "KFM", but in this spoof it was called "A Fist Full Of Yen"

The bad guy in the spoof was torturing people one after another and they got to one guy who wasn't frightened of anything the bad guy did until he said, " TAKE HIM TO DETROIT!"

The tortured guy reacted, " NO NO NO NO NO NOT DETROIT!"

everlastingxxx
atheist
everlastingxxx's picture
User is offlineOffline
That&rsquo;s funny! So which

That’s funny! So which game hurt more...the 7-6 late touchdown game or the shutout? Hey it‘s ok, maybe next season you guys will score a TD against Americas Teams!

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Brian37 wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

You are probably too young to remember a 1970s t&a movie called "Kentucky Fried Movie"

It was parody of popular media of the time and was a mix of skits spoofing the times, not one movie or motif, but just the times in general.

There was spoof of the movie "A Fist Full Of Dollars" a real movie, parodied in "KFM", but in this spoof it was called "A Fist Full Of Yen"

The bad guy in the spoof was torturing people one after another and they got to one guy who wasn't frightened of anything the bad guy did until he said, " TAKE HIM TO DETROIT!"

The tortured guy reacted, " NO NO NO NO NO NOT DETROIT!"

I'm definitely too young to remember something that happened long before I was born. Maybe I'll look into finding out about this classic though.

I drove past Detroit on the way to Ann Arbor a few times. The offramp hat potholes in it. Some of the potholes had potholes. I saw fires in the direction of the "town" and entire areas that appeared abandoned for years. It reminded me of Fallout 3.

Lets compare shall we?

Fallout 3:

Detroit:

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
That about sums it up. I

That about sums it up.

I think it is one of those "Scary Movie"  that also pokes fun of the city's bad rep.

I the clip involves a reporter showing a before/after tape of Detroit. The BEFORE clip shows Detroit on fire, the after shows Detroit on fire with the only difference being the War of the Worlds space ships shooting lazer beams at the city.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
everlastingxxx

everlastingxxx wrote:

That’s funny! So which game hurt more...the 7-6 late touchdown game or the shutout? Hey it‘s ok, maybe next season you guys will score a TD against Americas Teams!

"America's team" that right there is why I hate the Cowboys. There is no "America's team" we don't play other countries. "America's team" is the one that wins the Super Bowl each year.

I am not worried about losing to any team. Like everything in life things change. The only issue is when. Skins have beaten the Cowboys and will again.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Someone linked to this in

Someone linked to this in a new thread, so I've moved it here...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Sapient wrote: Someone

Sapient wrote:

Someone linked to this in a new thread, so I've moved it here...

Brian, I am thrilled to see the atheist voice growing. I get a bit teary eyed knowing that just 9 years ago the atheist voice was not close to being on the radar. There IS a huge difference. Some atheists may not see it, but I do.

What kicked my butt in gear was an AP opinion from an atheist nurse after 9/11 printed in my local paper.  I lived in the same city as Falwell at the time, and he made the mistake of trying to bully the local paper a long long time ago. I don't think they printed it so much because she was an atheist as much as they printed it to send a message to Falwell that he did not own them.

In any case, that single woman inspired me to get off my ass and get online to find others like me. I haven't looked back since. We have a long way to go, but from where I stand I am excited at the change that has happened and see a brighter future, not only for atheists, but humanity.

I had at the time a former boss pass by my house back then, after reading my response in the paper. We chit chatted for a moment, and before he got back in his car he said, "Brian, give up that atheist thing". I'd love to talk to him now.

We have in our label multiple famous authors, increasing media coverage and a president who gave us a shout out.

I am so proud of all those before me and all those today, even just the people who write their media and elected officials. I know I sound like a Hallmark card, but one voice can make a difference.

THANK YOU and every atheist who takes the time to raise their voice.

rdklep8
atheistScience FreakSuperfan
rdklep8's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am a NYG fan.  If it's

I am a NYG fan.  If it's not respect, then I have sympathy for Skins fans... I just can't find it in my heart to dislike them.  Don't like the team, the fan's don't bother me.

I dislike the Redskins team more than Philly.  But I hate Philly fans 1000x more than Skins fans. 

That being said, the dallas cowboys are no more "America's team" than the yankees.  They are the most hated team in professional football this side of "patriots". 

I live in the northeast, and when I see a Yankee/Cowboy fan (there are sadly a lot of them) I am overtaken with an uncontrollable rage.  The Yankees and the Cowboys?  Might as well root for Hitler, cancer, AIDS, and billy graham.

It's sad that I am a little heated right now, but the "fan" in me is the one part that is decidedly not rational.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
rdklep8 wrote:I am a NYG

rdklep8 wrote:

I am a NYG fan.  If it's not respect, then I have sympathy for Skins fans... I just can't find it in my heart to dislike them.  Don't like the team, the fan's don't bother me.

I dislike the Redskins team more than Philly.  But I hate Philly fans 1000x more than Skins fans. 

That being said, the dallas cowboys are no more "America's team" than the yankees.  They are the most hated team in professional football this side of "patriots". 

I live in the northeast, and when I see a Yankee/Cowboy fan (there are sadly a lot of them) I am overtaken with an uncontrollable rage.  The Yankees and the Cowboys?  Might as well root for Hitler, cancer, AIDS, and billy graham.

It's sad that I am a little heated right now, but the "fan" in me is the one part that is decidedly not rational.

Tisk tisk tisk, you do realize that the owner of this website is an Eagles fan. TOO LATE! YOU ALREADY HIT SUBMIT!

Well, it was nice knowing you.

Just being silly.

I don't hate anyone. I hate playing certain teams, but I don't hate the players, unless they are pricks, but that is any team. I don't hate fans except the ones who act like European soccer thugs. I love the friendly trash talk and the worst you'd get from me when a division team beats my Skins is a "Curly Three Stooges" hand wave. I Do yell at the tv and get upset, but it is not about the players or fans, just bad calls or bad games.

I like Eli and I am still miffed as to why NY got rid of Shockey. But I am sure Shockey doesn't mind considering. If you are ever in Myrtle Beach during football season, look me up, I'd love to hit a sports bar and watch a game with you, or anyone here for that matter.

Sterculius
Sterculius's picture
User is offlineOffline
I saw this article today and

I saw this article today and was very pleased. 
Looking forward to it.

There have been a few billboards along the freeways with the same message.

Some of which have been vandalized.

Oh well, getting the good word out there.

and it doesn't ever get better as a lions fan!

I've been a fan my whole life and it's been BITTER....

I'm just glad the draft looks promising either one of those DT's will be an immediate help.   Hopefully #1 picking team takes bradford because then we can get Suh.

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such."
Homer Simpson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Sterculius wrote:I saw this

Sterculius wrote:

I saw this article today and was very pleased. 
Looking forward to it.

There have been a few billboards along the freeways with the same message.

Some of which have been vandalized.

Oh well, getting the good word out there.

and it doesn't ever get better as a lions fan!

I've been a fan my whole life and it's been BITTER....

I'm just glad the draft looks promising either one of those DT's will be an immediate help.   Hopefully #1 picking team takes bradford because then we can get Suh.

Well, that's what you get for getting off your Lion's diet of eating Christians. You shouldn't have listened to Jared. Subway screwed you dude.

IT'S A JOKE PEOPLE!

Atheists don't feed Christians to Lions, we barbecue kittens.

Sterculius
Sterculius's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: Detroit

ClockCat wrote:

It's a real place where the weak are killed and eaten Eye-wink

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such."
Homer Simpson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
rdklep8 wrote:I am a NYG

rdklep8 wrote:

I don't think all fans are like that at all. I went to the old Eagles Vet stadium for a Redskins/Eagles playoff game. I sat in the rowdiest section and after my first cheer, got crap thrown at me and decided to keep my mouth shut the rest of the game. BUT during the 4th quarter I was able to move out of that section and OTHER FANS were quite nice to me.

I also went to a Redskins Dallas game at the old RFK stadium. They beat us, and I talked to a very nice Cowboy's fan and we talked about the game walking back to our cars. I teased him with "We'll get you next time" , but we both had fun.

HOWEVER, while I was talking to him I over heard some asshole behind me shout, "What are you doing talking to him!" Referring to me talking to a rival fan.

DUDE, in the end we aren't on the field, we don't own the team, it is just a form of entertainment. I get the passion and I don't mind the emotions, I know what it is like for the Skins to lose big games, or to lose to division rivals and we have sucked for 18 years.

I get it, but it becomes absurd when you are willing to get violent over it.

rdklep8
rdklep8's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah I mean I guess hate is

Yeah I mean I guess hate is a strong word... and it is unfair to throw them all into the same grouping.  There are a good group of fans in every fan base... and it's actually a little ironic that i'm talking crap about eagles/cowboys fans when some giants fans make me want to crawl under a rock.

If I ever make it to Myrtle Beach i'd be more than happy to watch a game.

And don't you worry about the Skins... they'll be good eventually...  once Snyder bows out.  I know it may blow people's minds but I'm also a Red Sox fan.  As a defense I'm from CT (where professional sports go to die).  I was raised a Red Sox fan, and my dad didn't care much for football.  When I was 12 my friend from down the street loved the Giants, so we'd watch games, and I ended up liking a NY and Boston team.

But back to the Red Sox.  Dan Duquette mercilessly drove Roger Clemens out of town, threw big money at Jose Offerman, kept Mo Vaughn too long, built his outfield around Troy O'Leary... the list goes on and on.  I know it's different as DD was a GM, but baseball is a different animal.  Once you get rid of Snyder and replace him with someone competent, things can turn around quick.  I went from expecting the Sox to lose in the most gut wrenching way possible to expecting a strong playoff push every year in a matter of 2 years... it's like the Twilight Zone.  Keep the faith. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
rdklep8 wrote:Yeah I mean I

rdklep8 wrote:

Yeah I mean I guess hate is a strong word... and it is unfair to throw them all into the same grouping.  There are a good group of fans in every fan base... and it's actually a little ironic that i'm talking crap about eagles/cowboys fans when some giants fans make me want to crawl under a rock.

And don't you worry about the Skins... they'll be good eventually...  once Snyder bows out.  I know it may blow people's minds but I'm also a Red Sox fan.  As a defense I'm from CT (where professional sports go to die).  I was raised a Red Sox fan, and my dad didn't care much for football.  When I was 12 my friend from down the street loved the Giants, so we'd watch games, and I ended up liking a NY and Boston team.

But back to the Red Sox.  Dan Duquette mercilessly drove Roger Clemens out of town, threw big money at Jose Offerman, kept Mo Vaughn too long, built his outfield around Troy O'Leary... the list goes on and on.  I know it's different as DD was a GM, but baseball is a different animal.  Once you get rid of Snyder and replace him with someone competent, things can turn around quick.  I went from expecting the Sox to lose in the most gut wrenching way possible to expecting a strong playoff push every year in a matter of 2 years... it's like the Twilight Zone.  Keep the faith. 

If you talk baseball to me, my eyes glaze over. I was never into that sport. Not enough action for me. 99% of baseball is watching the ball go back and forth from the pitcher to the catcher. It's just me personally, I know, but for me it is like watching paint dry.

AS AN ASIDE, here is a football factoid most might not be aware of. In the 4- 15 minute quarters that equal one hour, do you know how much time is acttualy spent trying to move the ball after the snap to the end of the play?

If you added up ONLY the time of actual action, the entire movement of the ball amounts to about 12 minutes. Funny how it can take up to 3 hours to air a game, but the actual action only amounts to that on average.

rdklep8
rdklep8's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:rdklep8

Brian37 wrote:

rdklep8 wrote:

If you talk baseball to me, my eyes glaze over. I was never into that sport. Not enough action for me. 99% of baseball is watching the ball go back and forth from the pitcher to the catcher. It's just me personally, I know, but for me it is like watching paint dry.

AS AN ASIDE, here is a football factoid most might not be aware of. In the 4- 15 minute quarters that equal one hour, do you know how much time is acttualy spent trying to move the ball after the snap to the end of the play?

If you added up ONLY the time of actual action, the entire movement of the ball amounts to about 12 minutes. Funny how it can take up to 3 hours to air a game, but the actual action only amounts to that on average.

Do you frequent Deadspin?  I think they ran something on that a couple weeks/months ago... that is amusing to me that there is only 12 minutes of action.

Baseball is boring.  Ii'll be the first to admit it.  But, it was the first sport I played, the first I watched, the first I cared about.  By growing up around it and being subjected to it, you begin to learn the ins and outs; the intracacies.  I'm not baseball guru, but it's fun to sit with a likeminded baseball fan and talk about what's going on "Does he throw a curveball or fastball in this situation- base runner is fast, tie game-- don't want a runner in scoring position" etc etc.

It's quite a lot like chess... sometimes boring, but there is always something happening if you pay close enough attention.

BTW, this argument has failed me many times before, I don't expect it to change your views... as I said-- it's undeniably boring.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Sterculius wrote:It's a real

Sterculius wrote:

Literally, that's why it's so scary. 

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

v4ultingbassist wrote:

Sterculius wrote:

Detroit residents milling around outside the old auto factories.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Detroit

ClockCat wrote:

haha... It's funny, I've always considered Toledo Detroit Jr. (Toledo, OH is where I am from, an hour south of Detroit).  We've got an old Jeep plant that is defunct, so now I'm getting scared that my home town is going the same route as Detroit (we're $40 million in the whole).  Then again, I drove through Pittsburgh last weekend and can comfortably say that it is in between Detroit and Toledo on the shit-hole scale. 

Sterculius
Sterculius's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat

ClockCat wrote:

v4ultingbassist wrote:

Sterculius wrote:

When I used to work downtown the homeless were sorta like zombies shuffling up to you in rotting clothes instead of saying

"BRRRRAAAIIINS"  though they said,

"CHHHAAAAANNNGE"

Homer Simpson

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I am so proud

Brian37 wrote:

I am so proud of all those before me and all those today, even just the people who write their media and elected officials. I know I sound like a Hallmark card, but one voice can make a difference.

Don't forget, you've played an important role as well.  Don't short change yourself.  With that said, I take and accept all credit for everything good that has happened to/for atheists in the last 10 years.  You're welcome, hold your applause please.  Eye-wink

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Sapient wrote:Brian37

Sapient wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Don't forget, you've played an important role as well.  Don't short change yourself.  With that said, I take and accept all credit for everything good that has happened to/for atheists in the last 10 years.  You're welcome, hold your applause please.  Eye-wink

I can fart a Lamborghini out of my ass, can you? Didn't think so. But enough with the hug fest, you're making me blush.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
everlastingxxx wrote:Haha,

everlastingxxx wrote:

Go Cowboys!

Rooting for the Cowboys is like rooting for Al Queda....

But as for the Lions?... Noble, yes, but you're better off rooting for an Elvis comeback tour...

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, really?

everlastingxxx wrote:

Go Cowboys!

Whenever I think of America's Team I like to add a little perspective:

Seriously now, what was the last thing the Cow Turds achieved? At least the Redskins fans know how bad it is, you lot are in full delusion mode.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Dude, look guys, as much as

Dude, look guys, as much as I love blasphemy and trash talk, please keep in mind our token Al Quida fan is a cootie spreader too. I'd be proud to sit next to him at a bar and watch a game with him.

But yea, I can forgive him for eating lead paint chips.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Oh Jeez:   Downsizing

Oh Jeez:

Downsizing Detroit

That's a pretty radical move, but man could it help the city.