Homeopathy is BS

Sterculius
Sterculius's picture
User is offlineOffline
Homeopathy is BS

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such."
Homer Simpson

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't mind that people

I don't mind that people look at "alternative medicine" as another means to find cures, however there had better be proper evidence and studies to back up the claims made by many of the homeopathy society. I have read some of the claims and it's just ridiculous to believe that something that has been diluted to something like 1 part per million can actually help you at all, 1 part per million is squat all, there isn't any thing there that can help you at all. That's like claiming diluting alcohol to 1 part per million will get you more drunk.

There isn't an issue, at least with me anyways, at looking for more nature based cures/medicine if it means less side effects, as some commercial drugs have side effects far worse that the actual disease, heck some have a page long worth of side effects. Miraplex which is used to help those with Parkinson, caused people to become compulsive gamblers/shoppers, hyper sexuality and uncontrollable sleeplessness. Requip, a drug for restless leg syndrome, can also cause compulsive gambling, sexuality, shopping, vomiting, nausea, dizziness and drowsiness.

Now I get that trying to treat one thing may cause side effect, but it shouldn't cause another problematic condition to arise.....like compulsive gambling or hyper sexuality. If this is the case why bother releasing such a drug?

The search of alternatives shouldn't be met with ridicule either, but a healthy skepticism until proven to work. But those in the homeopathy society have made hard to believe and sometime ridiculous claims about the effects of their so called alternative medicine. As such it gets about as much respect as those that claim to be psychic.....funny how no psychic can never see/predict next weeks lottery numbers.

Mattness
Mattness's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:I have

latincanuck wrote:
I have read some of the claims and it's just ridiculous to believe that something that has been diluted to something like 1 part per million can actually help you at all, 1 part per million is squat all, there isn't any thing there that can help you at all. That's like claiming diluting alcohol to 1 part per million will get you more drunk.

Actually, if it were just 1 part per million there would at least still be a chance that some molecules of the active ingredient is still left, but a standard 30C dilution is 1 in 1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 or 1 in 10^60.

"Dilution advocated by Hahnemann for most purposes: on average, this would require giving two billion doses per second to six billion people for 4 billion years to deliver a single molecule of the original material to any patient." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathic_dilution)

Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life. - Immanuel Kant

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Professional

Nordmann wrote:

Professional astrologer? Your father?

I've said it before looneyman, you're one fucked up fool. And from what you admit about your parents' own lunacies, never had much chance to be anything different.

Good to hear your health is keeping up though. So is it often with idiots - nature has a knack of providing individuals with such small compensations now and then to make up for what they lack in other areas.

Thank you for your long absence, it was a wonderful time!  Smiling

mellestad wrote:
I am pretty sure if we did not put some 'faith' in the scientific method and required everything to be tested 1st person, we would all still be living in the iron age.

Hasn't the scientific method shown that it works yet?

Good. Perhaps you're beginning to understand what I mean. If science does require some faith input to work, there are many other things which need that too! Just consider, if you spare all your 'faith' for scientific institution, then you might become closed-minded and dependent on one source of information, which is unwise.

Testing everything in person is of course a nonsense. And just as it's impossible to test everything in person, so it's impossible to test everything in rigorous test settings!!! Is that clear? This is one of my important points.
Of course, we should try to research things in proper controlled environment. But we should also learn to investigate things on our own!

Mattness wrote:
Actually, if it were just 1 part per million there would at least still be a chance that some molecules of the active ingredient is still left, but a standard 30C dilution is 1 in 1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 or 1 in 10^60.

"Dilution advocated by Hahnemann for most purposes: on average, this would require giving two billion doses per second to six billion people for 4 billion years to deliver a single molecule of the original material to any patient." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathic_dilution)

With all respect, it should be obvious by now that homeopathy is not about dilution. What looks like a dilution and 'potentizing', is the attempt to to make the water medium "remember" the substance, and people's nervous and endocrine system should be able to work with that information, therefore organize itself, start acting effectively, and heal itself if possible. This is the correct claim that should be considered, researched or even ridiculed, if you want. The claim about diluted active substance being more effective is not logical. Homeopathy is not about claiming weird things about chemistry, it's about claiming weird things about the "memory of water". I know, many homeopaths talk about dilution and so on, but they don't care about the details, they just do their job.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
So much woo, so little thought...

Luminon wrote:
the great pressure on a patient to attempt suicide with chemotherapy and irradiation, because "it's the best available cure and the only chance.

Dude, that "attempted suicide" as you call it is why my mother and grandmother survived breast cancer, and my friend Aden is still alive, so you really know nothing of what you are talking about. If people took your advice (cancer treatments are attempted suicide!) they would DIE and their blood would be on your hands.

Luminon wrote:
I learned to distinguish quackery from a real work.

If you buy into ANY of the woo that has no real evidence behind it, then no, you haven't learned anything. By saying that, you realize our irony meters are at the max, don't you?

Luminon wrote:
Only skeptics that don't know this area of life can say, that all psychics are conmen.

Or people firmly grounded in reality. Psychics? Really? Next you'll be saying that you know wizards who could turn me into a newt or people who can use the Jedi mind trick. Please grow up and enter reality with the rest of us. It's really not that bad. You can still read about magic and stuff, just realize that it's FICTION.

Luminon wrote:
It's actually very beneficial if some of us study scientific theories and then explain them to the community.

Not if you want people to still believe in the woo. When people get more educated in the methods of science, their belief in MAGIC goes away equally. And that's all your woo is... MAGIC. So are you telling us you haven't grown up enough to realize that there is no magic in the world. No Santa, no Tooth Fairy, and no deiti(es). Sorry, but magic isn't real, and by stating you actually believe in magic shows how intellectually stunted you are.

Luminon wrote:
I'm a son of a professional astrologer

So THAT'S where you get the massive brain infection of the crazy woo. That's sad that you never even had a chance to live in reality with the rest of us. You do know that you can break free from your parents craziness, right?

Luminon wrote:
I don't seek this weak stuff, like Deepak Chopra, it may be good for beginners

Deepak Chopra is not good for ANYONE, let alone "beginners". He's nucking futs. He has already stated any kind of knowledge that questions him, i.e. ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE, is his enemy. And to have any opinion of the kook other then revulsion shows how far from reality you are.

Luminon wrote:
Geeez. What argument from popularity? That's argument from existence. It exists, therefore it exists, but it's still unknown and not examined if there is or isn't any credibility.

Wow, "It exists, therefore it exists" is the kind of "argument" you use when you don't have an argument. Actually, it IS an argument from popularity, and it is still destroyed. It would only be an argument from "existence" as you call it, if the BS was actually real. But it's not, so sorry. If the woo BS WAS real, then it should be able to stand up to the rigorous testing that every other REAL scientific concept has been able to stand up to. None of them can, therefore they are woo and have no basis in reality.

Luminon wrote:
My own woo skills are mostly associated with control of so-called "energy". In other very blunt words, imagine Reich's orgone as it concentrates around, precipitates into semi-solid form, moves according to the psychic's will and then, for example, is used for healing, warming up, alteration of consciousness, and many other purposes.

Dude, you need meds. You think your mind alone can "touch" the "aether" around you. You need to seek mental medical attention. It sounds like you are an undiagnosed schizophrenic, as you have the illusion that you have magic mind powers. I'm sorry to burst your unmediated bubble, but you do not.

Luminion wrote:
I doubt there is any willingness to cooperate with local woo communities.

Yeah, scientists also don't talk to the believers of fairies or warlocks or a flat earth. Why, you ask? Because the people who believe in those things are crazy and don't deserve to get any of the legitimacy that would come from any scientists even taking them remotely seriously. Same with people who promote MAGIC WATER (homeopathy) or Magic Star Powers (astrology). They are crazy and don't deserve any appearance of legitimacy.

Luminon wrote:
Scientists don't hesitate to send their people to tribal witch doctors and learn their herbal cures from them, but they would not do the same with psychics of the modern european countries.

Why you ask? Because plants DO sometimes contain alkaloids that can have positive effects on our bodies, but there is NO EVIDENCE that people could be psychic. NONE. That's why scientists treat them differently. One (plants) can hold chemicals to be used as medicine. The other (telepathy) offers nothing but a return to the dark ages of superstition and ignorance. Hence the different treatment.

Luminon wrote:
This is not a way to solution, this will only create martyrs and more social popularity for underground movement.

Just because something has social support doesn't make it true. People in mass have believed so much BS throughout our history it's amazing we still exist as a species at all.

Luminon, you have no credible evidence to support your claims, therefore we will continue to ridicule your blind faith in the woo woo BS. Until you provide credible evidence for any of the crazy stuff you are supporting (homeopathy, astrology, THE FUCKING AETHER FOR CRIPES SAKE!), we will continue to be skeptical of your bogus claims. I personally feel sorry for you that you were brainwashed into the woo from your parents (at least your father). But that doesn't excuse you for actually buying into it still.

So in closing, if you promote any of the woo, GET IN THE SACK!

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Get in the fuckin' sack. 

Get in the fuckin' sack.  Rofl, thanks for sharing!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:Dude, that

B166ER wrote:

Dude, that "attempted suicide" as you call it is why my mother and grandmother survived breast cancer, and my friend Aden is still alive, so you really know nothing of what you are talking about. If people took your advice (cancer treatments are attempted suicide!) they would DIE and their blood would be on your hands.

Congratulations. Don't you by any chance know what is a total effectivity of cancer survival rates? I mean the cases who underwent the  conventional treatment. Googling it up somehow doesn't work, and I'd need only approximate percentage.

B166ER wrote:
If you buy into ANY of the woo that has no real evidence behind it, then no, you haven't learned anything. By saying that, you realize our irony meters are at the max, don't you?
It seems we don't completely agree on what is a real evidence. For me it's more real what I can see and touch personally, than what someone far away researches. Anyway, for this kind of evidence there is only the personal kind available, because as the proverb says, if a mountain doesn't want to Mohammed, Mohammed must go to the mountain.

B166ER wrote:
Or people firmly grounded in reality. Psychics? Really? Next you'll be saying that you know wizards who could turn me into a newt or people who can use the Jedi mind trick. Please grow up and enter reality with the rest of us. It's really not that bad. You can still read about magic and stuff, just realize that it's FICTION.
No, I won't say anything about newts... If you would know anything about me, it would be obvious there's nothing about newts or Jedi mind tricks. You don't believe there is an inner logic in there, so you don't bother with searching for it. It's unfortunate, but understandable.

B166ER wrote:

Luminon wrote:
It's actually very beneficial if some of us study scientific theories and then explain them to the community.

Not if you want people to still believe in the woo. When people get more educated in the methods of science, their belief in MAGIC goes away equally. And that's all your woo is... MAGIC. So are you telling us you haven't grown up enough to realize that there is no magic in the world. No Santa, no Tooth Fairy, and no deiti(es). Sorry, but magic isn't real, and by stating you actually believe in magic shows how intellectually stunted you are.

In your mind, you have equated magic with "BS" at best... But you don't actually know the real meaning of that word. "Magic" as I understanding is simply a discipline of higher dimensions, just like science is a discipline of this, dense-physical dimension of the one universe there is. At their most advanced form, technology and "magic" are one and the same thing.
And I never said anything about deities. My understanding of deities is quite natural, they're just figurative antropomorphies of natural laws and psychological archetypes. Symbolical archetypes of these "gods" are our cultural and psychological heritage.

B166ER wrote:
So THAT'S where you get the massive brain infection of the crazy woo. That's sad that you never even had a chance to live in reality with the rest of us. You do know that you can break free from your parents craziness, right?
As you have read further, my physical perception reassures me every day, what my parents do is just one of secondary reassurements.

B166ER wrote:
Deepak Chopra is not good for ANYONE, let alone "beginners". He's nucking futs. He has already stated any kind of knowledge that questions him, i.e. ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE, is his enemy. And to have any opinion of the kook other then revulsion shows how far from reality you are.
Wow, really? If that's true, he's off my recommendation list. Anyway, I never recommended him to anybody yet, he's very low on the list.

B166ER wrote:
Wow, "It exists, therefore it exists" is the kind of "argument" you use when you don't have an argument. Actually, it IS an argument from popularity, and it is still destroyed. It would only be an argument from "existence" as you call it, if the BS was actually real. But it's not, so sorry. If the woo BS WAS real, then it should be able to stand up to the rigorous testing that every other REAL scientific concept has been able to stand up to. None of them can, therefore they are woo and have no basis in reality.
By REAL you mean dense-physical? Because there is enough of stuff out there that our visible universe compared to it is only about 5%. It's called "dark" matter and energy, because we don't fucking see it! It just needs to be technically involved in the woo, which I think it is very much, and I'm screwed, because the science won't be able to detect it!

B166ER wrote:
Dude, you need meds. You think your mind alone can "touch" the "aether" around you. You need to seek mental medical attention. It sounds like you are an undiagnosed schizophrenic, as you have the illusion that you have magic mind powers. I'm sorry to burst your unmediated bubble, but you do not.
No, not the mind alone, my skin. Actually, any sensitive nerve ending on my body, it's a physical feeling. The mind only moves the aether. But firstly, this is not a problem. It's not pathologic, restricting, annoying or whatever, it's like in symbiosis, almost a part of me. I have no reason to get rid of this ability.
Secondly, I repeatedly observed that this is not just my hallucination. Independently, people have reacted on the aether that I've been working with, and vice versa. So there's a possibility that it's real, and very worthy of study.

B166ER wrote:
Yeah, scientists also don't talk to the believers of fairies or warlocks or a flat earth. Why, you ask? Because the people who believe in those things are crazy and don't deserve to get any of the legitimacy that would come from any scientists even taking them remotely seriously. Same with people who promote MAGIC WATER (homeopathy) or Magic Star Powers (astrology). They are crazy and don't deserve any appearance of legitimacy.
As you showed, you don't know much about these people. You don't know much about diplomacy, either. And perhaps not even about history. By your standards, Johannes Kepler, Tycho de Brahe, Galileo Galilei, Isaac Newton and others were crazy astrologers and don't deserve any credits... right?

B166ER wrote:
  Just because something has social support doesn't make it true. People in mass have believed so much BS throughout our history it's amazing we still exist as a species at all.
Yeah, it doesn't make it true, but it makes it REAL. These people have the same rights, the same general IQ, the same general education including academic, and the same life standards as the people you don't consider crazy. For all practical purposes, they should be treated seriously and as able human beings. As you might learn from the history, the approach of "my truth is the only truth" was often the cause of evil!

B166ER wrote:
  Luminon, you have no credible evidence to support your claims, therefore we will continue to ridicule your blind faith in the woo woo BS. Until you provide credible evidence for any of the crazy stuff you are supporting (homeopathy, astrology, THE FUCKING AETHER FOR CRIPES SAKE!), we will continue to be skeptical of your bogus claims. I personally feel sorry for you that you were brainwashed into the woo from your parents (at least your father). But that doesn't excuse you for actually buying into it still.
Now read very closely, everyone. Did you ever consider that you don't have to judge me, examine me, or ridicule me?  Did you ever think that's not the only way it has to be? There are other, perhaps much more effective ways to deal with people like me! Read or listen this piece of Skeptoid. (*)   Did you ever have a friend? Sure you had and have, so recall your memories. Did you ever agree with your friend on everything? If not, did you put your friend on interrogations and ridiculed him publically if he didn't have evidence for his stance? If yes, then your friend is probably gone and you have achieved nothing.

Hopefully, you see that the so-called skeptical approach is a reaction of defense and offense, rather than friendship and good will. You can have a great influence on those that trust you, but this trust must be earned. That needs a lot of diplomacy, common sense, pedagogy and good will. Skeptics that I know and see here are usually not capable of that, because many of them are people deeply hurt by religion, and they fight back blindly and fervently. Did you ever consider that I don't want war, but peace? The peace is about harmonical co-existence of different views on life, not about total annihilation of all different views. So tell me, do you know of a place where's more skeptics of that peaceful kind? I deeply value the virtues of gentlemanship and I expect the same thing from others.

*) Yeah, I like scientific and skeptical podcasts, and I listen to them. This is also one of reasons why I have this Superfan badge. Christian podcasts are over and over again about the same old book. And occultists' podcasts are too... occult. They have a hard time to actually say anything interesting, to not give out the occult secrecy.

PS: I'm sorry, but that guy is gibbering too much and too quickly for my foreigner's ears. Someone in USA should invent phonetic language, that is pronounced exactly as it's written. What's the point in having a language when you don't pronounce a half of it's written form?

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:With all

Luminon wrote:

With all respect, it should be obvious by now that homeopathy is not about dilution. What looks like a dilution and 'potentizing', is the attempt to to make the water medium "remember" the substance, and people's nervous and endocrine system should be able to work with that information, therefore organize itself, start acting effectively, and heal itself if possible. This is the correct claim that should be considered, researched or even ridiculed, if you want. The claim about diluted active substance being more effective is not logical. Homeopathy is not about claiming weird things about chemistry, it's about claiming weird things about the "memory of water". I know, many homeopaths talk about dilution and so on, but they don't care about the details, they just do their job.

With all due respects the whole water memory thing is ridiculous and should be ridiculed. All tests shown have proven it doesn't retain anything, its pretty much a stupid claim and should be treated as such, why would anything liquid wise retain any type of "memory of a molecule" that the body could then some how use to make itself better, it is these types of claim with such absurd claims that make homeopathy look like nothing else than new age whoo hoo magic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_memory . There hasn't been any positive test that actually prove water memory, and even then how that would transfer the "information" to the body.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
intending to be kind

Luminon wrote:

Now read very closely, everyone. Did you ever consider that you don't have to judge me, examine me, or ridicule me?  Did you ever think that's not the only way it has to be? There are other, perhaps much more effective ways to deal with people like me! Read or listen this piece of Skeptoid. (*)   Did you ever have a friend? Sure you had and have, so recall your memories. Did you ever agree with your friend on everything? If not, did you put your friend on interrogations and ridiculed him publically if he didn't have evidence for his stance? If yes, then your friend is probably gone and you have achieved nothing.

I have lots of friends - but like most people my friends share many of my beliefs.  Luminon, I have followed this thread, and I just don't see where we share enough beliefs for us to be comfortable together.  I used to believe in woo - clairvoyance and astrology and psychic emanations.  But I just couldn't continue belief when no evidence showed up.

It is very difficult to review the evidence calmly when in a discussion - people have a tendency to stick to their position even harder when challenged before other people.  Go away for awhile.  Come back later, when you aren't trying to justify your position.  And think about it.  'k?

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon

Luminon wrote:
Philosophically speaking, you want me to believe that behind 9 mountains, behind 9 forests and behind 9 rivers there were some rigorous tests and journals. Perhaps they were, perhaps not. I really want to believe, but I'm not allowed, it's just a rumor, an anecdote, there's no way to be 100% sure. Should I rather choose the simpliest possible explanation?

You see, this is reversedly applied logic of skepticism. If that pisses you off, remeber, this is how others see you. I prepare an article on that topic. This will make you take a break from the boards for a month! Don't you understand? I'm trying to show a proverbial mirror to you. It's your fault that you take everything so personally.

You misunderstood me.  I take the occasional break because I'm fed up with the same debates and the same old crazy.  I didn't take a break because of you Smiling  You don't piss me off.  You make me feel sorry for you.  That is all.  And I've never taken anything you've said personally Smiling

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
MichaelMcF wrote:You

MichaelMcF wrote:
You misunderstood me.  I take the occasional break because I'm fed up with the same debates and the same old crazy.  I didn't take a break because of you Smiling  You don't piss me off.  You make me feel sorry for you.  That is all.  And I've never taken anything you've said personally Smiling

Oh, I'm glad to see that, perhaps the flames confuse me so much Smiling But you're sorry for me for wrong reasons. The daily life, study and relationships have not much to do with woo, and this is where I develop my lacking skills. Or I just try.

cj wrote:
I have lots of friends - but like most people my friends share many of my beliefs.  Luminon, I have followed this thread, and I just don't see where we share enough beliefs for us to be comfortable together.  I used to believe in woo - clairvoyance and astrology and psychic emanations.  But I just couldn't continue belief when no evidence showed up.
Well, that is the only difference between us. I see an evidence for woo in everyday life, and you don't. Just because I can observe it, I can't presume that everyone can. I'm OK with the idea that most of people will have a different stance. But for that is necessary seeing the broader image, where personal freedom, justice and diversity of human thought is more important than ideologies or worldviews. If both (all) sides will accept that, then not even the wildest woo should lead to casualties, and even the believers will eventually try to use their brains.

You see, I'm all for scientific truth and objectivity, but that requires friendship and trust. Close friends or family are allowed to criticize each other without feeling endangered. This progress needs peace. There can be no real scientific or any other peace in the world, without trust. What the scientific autorities do, is not making peace. We've got a good cop, Carl Sagan, and bad cop, James Randi, and both are out there to annihilate all opposition and assimilate humanfity into the same centrally controlled worldview. This is not peace.

cj wrote:
It is very difficult to review the evidence calmly when in a discussion - people have a tendency to stick to their position even harder when challenged before other people.  Go away for awhile.  Come back later, when you aren't trying to justify your position.  And think about it.  'k?
Good observation. I'm not sure if I'll go away. (I actually sometimes go away unofficially when I need and almost nobody notices) But I see what you mean, already think about it a lot, and will continue. But you can expect less activity from me, soon I'll go to France for a few weeks.

I'd like to live in a world, where one person would say "I don't believe in woo, because I saw no evidence for it." Another person would say "I'm convinced about the existence of woo, because I saw a lot of evidence for it." And then they would go together for a tea or beer, because they're both people of good will who direct their lives according to evidence. And who don't try to convince each other by evidence that the other person doesn't have. And if yes, then it's co-operation, advice on demand or friendly nagging Smiling

I'll have to develop a new model of relating to skeptics, based on what I just wrote and the new ideas that come to my mind. The problem is a lack of thinkers of any kind I know IRL.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
More on the woo

Luminon wrote:
Don't you by any chance know what is a total effectivity of cancer survival rates?

No I don't, since every type of cancer is different and is effected differently by the various treatments. I wish I knew where we could find those statistics, since that would be a really interesting read but alas, I cannot.

But on to the most pressing problems I see with your position, like your definitions of the words "evidence" and "reality"

Luminon wrote:
It seems we don't completely agree on what is a real evidence. For me it's more real what I can see and touch personally, than what someone far away researches.

You make the mistake of valuing your intuition (easily fooled) much more then peer reviewed double blind research (much harder to fool). Intuition is what led people to think the moon was a light. It is what led people to think the world was flat or that cutting and draining the "sick blood" out of people would make them better. It also still leads people to make critical errors in their reasoning. Thinking your own intuition is better then well controlled tests is absurd, since not one person in this world is free from their senses playing tricks on them. That's what those evil, bad, meanie poo poo face double blind tests do; separate the follies of our senses from the equation as much as possible.

Speaking about the woo, you said:

Luminon wrote:
Anyway, for this kind of evidence there is only the personal kind available

If all the "evidence" you have to support something is "the personal kind", then you have no evidence at all. What your "evidence" supports could be complete fact or complete BS, but until you get some of that other kind of evidence, you know, the REAL kind, that you can show me, I stay unconvinced.

Luminon wrote:
In your mind, you have equated magic with "BS" at best... But you don't actually know the real meaning of that word.

Yes i have equated magic with BS, but not because "I don't know what it really is", but because I have never been shown evidence that magic exists anywhere outside fiction. I really love science fiction and fantasy, I even write a lot of it and am trying to get my stories published, yet no matter what, I can't help but know that it's fiction and nothing more.

Luminon wrote:
"Magic" as I understanding is simply a discipline of higher dimensions, just like science is a discipline of this, dense-physical dimension of the one universe there is. At their most advanced form, technology and "magic" are one and the same thing.

NO, if there are higher dimensions to this reality we inhabit, then it is in science's domain. Science is the study of reality, and it it exists, then it is in reality. You just use the term magic because you can't explain it, at least to people who don't already believe in it.

And no, technology is not magic. Technology that is sufficiently advanced enough may seem like magic to primitive people, but it's still technology firmly grounded in reality since it's working, nothing magic to it. Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law FTW!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke%27s_three_laws

Luminon wrote:
As you have read further, my physical perception reassures me every day, what my parents do is just one of secondary reassurements.

That's a problem since your perception can be easily fooled. That's one of the reasons for science. It's hard to fool the senses of many people all at the same time with the proper controls in place, so we use scientific testing to understand the universe in a way that we can prevent our perceptual biases interfering with the results.

Luminon wrote:
By REAL you mean dense-physical? Because there is enough of stuff out there that our visible universe compared to it is only about 5%. It's called "dark" matter and energy

No, by real I mean real. Just because we can't see it, doesn't mean it takes magic to explain it. Look at the light spectrum. We can only see a part of it, but it is all real and needs no magic to explain it. Actually, putting magic up there as an "explanation" just slows us down by preventing us from knowing what it really is sooner rather then later.

Luminon wrote:
I'm screwed, because the science won't be able to detect it!

Actually, you're screwed because scientists CAN detect it, thereby giving real evidence as to it's existence in the real world, and not as some selling point to some new age clap trap.

B166ER wrote:

Luminon wrote:
No, not the mind alone, my skin. Actually, any sensitive nerve ending on my body, it's a physical feeling. The mind only moves the aether. But firstly, this is not a problem. It's not pathologic, restricting, annoying or whatever, it's like in symbiosis, almost a part of me. I have no reason to get rid of this ability.

Dude, you are not doing anything good for the case that you don't need meds. You sound like an undiagnosed schizophrenic (I have known a few and even have a friend with schizophrenia so I have seen it before) and with every insane thing you say, you dig yourself in deeper and deeper.

Luminon wrote:
Secondly, I repeatedly observed that this is not just my hallucination. Independently, people have reacted on the aether that I've been working with, and vice versa. So there's a possibility that it's real, and very worthy of study.

Another appeal to popularity... sigh...

Luminon, even people together can be fooled, unless you set up controls on your tests to prevent that sort of thing. That's what scientists do. That's why their peer reviewed tests are more reliable then your "I thought about it and looked at it and asked this random person what they thought and I think it's this way" little mind games.  That's why you and and your woo pals are not producing reliable evidence when you play wizards and magic.

Luminon wrote:
You don't know much about diplomacy

Diplomacy has no bearing on the truth. The truth is there whether you believe it or not. Diplomacy has nothing to do with it.

Luminon wrote:
And perhaps not even about history. By your standards, Johannes Kepler, Tycho de Brahe, Galileo Galilei, Isaac Newton and others were crazy astrologers and don't deserve any credits... right?

Actually, I'm a huge history buff, so I don't know about that comment.

As to some centuries old scientists, yes, they had some bat shit crazy ideas. Just because you are smart doesn't mean you know everything or that you are not influenced by the times you are raised in. It's okay to take the good works of people and throw out the swill. Look at Charles Darwin. He help open the human mind to our whole family heritage, the family of life on earth, but he didn't know a lot about the process. He had no understanding of genetics. So we revise our knowledge of evolution by replacing the stuff that isn't true with current information, not just casting the whole concept aside.

I think those scientists you named deserve credit for their great work they did in advancing science, but not in their own personal woo woo delusions. Just because you are smart doesn't mean you can't be fooled, it just makes it harder. And just because you are a respected scientist, doesn't make everything you say correct.

Luminon wrote:
Yeah, it doesn't make it true, but it makes it REAL.

If something isn't true, then it isn't real. Just playing word games won't do anything to change the difference between reality and fantasy. The woo may seem real to a person experiencing it, but things also seem real to people hallucinating under the influence of drugs like LSD or Psilocybin and I can assure you from personal experience that it is not real.

Luminon wrote:
For all practical purposes, they should be treated seriously and as able human beings. As you might learn from the history, the approach of "my truth is the only truth" was often the cause of evil!

Just because someone deserves all the same human rights as everyone else doesn't give them the right to not be ridiculed for their stupid ideas. If someone came up to you and told you that your parents were space aliens who were planing on taking you to their mothership to probe your nether regions, you wouldn't take them seriously even though they are just as much a human being as you or I. No you wouldn't, and you shouldn't, because they would be providing evidence only of their insanity to you.

As to the "evil" of claiming one truth is true, would you say that there is another "truth" that the earth is flat. Other people still claim this and they are just as human as us. But they are still wrong. Or that the universe is only 6000 years old. Are they not human? They are still wrong. You would (hopefully) not take their word as equally true as reality, or you would be wrong too. We live in a solar system with one star and anyone claiming otherwise would not be holding "another truth", they would be wrong. Me saying those people are wrong isn't evil by any means, it just honest.

Luminon wrote:
Did you ever have a friend? Sure you had and have, so recall your memories. Did you ever agree with your friend on everything? If not, did you put your friend on interrogations and ridiculed him publically if he didn't have evidence for his stance? If yes, then your friend is probably gone and you have achieved nothing.

All my friends are like me in the sense that they demand evidence for claims, so yeah, when any of us present an idea, the others want some evidence. That's why we are all good friends. We all have heated debates about things, and require evidence for all claims made. That's just how we live. And I think it strengthens our friendship, since what we hear from each other has already gone through the burden of providing proof and passed and has more weight behind it because we know what kind of evidence was required to convince each other of it. I trust my friends, not because they blindly think what they are told, but because they question me just as much as anything else. The only people I have lost contact with over woo are the ones who couldn't take debates about their belief's, which are people who I don't really care to associate myself with anyways. I don't enjoy spending my time with Sheeple, so all my friends reflect that.

Luminon wrote:
Hopefully, you see that the so-called skeptical approach is a reaction of defense and offense, rather than friendship and good will.

Friendship and good will have nothing to do with facts about reality. How a person phrases a statement has no bearing on the truth or falsehood of that statement. The statement is either true or false, the method of transmission of that statement has no effect of it's truthfulness. So no, I don't see "that".

Luminon wrote:
Skeptics that I know and see here are usually not capable of that, because many of them are people deeply hurt by religion, and they fight back blindly and fervently.

Granted, I am still quite new here, but I haven't seen this "blind" aspect to the arguments of the skeptics here that you speak of. For the most part, I have seen very well reasoned and well thought out arguments, and some funny, intentionally offensive stuff, which is always good too.

Luminon wrote:
Did you ever consider that I don't want war, but peace? The peace is about harmonical co-existence of different views on life, not about total annihilation of all different views.

I don't want war either, but debating the facts of reality isn't war and is nowhere near the brutality and horror it reaches, so the two cannot be compared.

Harmony is a sham anyways, since never in this reality will every human, let alone all the other species around us, ever agree on one thing. And if peace means having to except it as anyone who wants to goes around filling other people's heads (especially the heads of children) with garbage, then I don't want peace. I would rather live in a world where the BS that comes out of people's mouths is challenged, you know, a world with freedom of speech.

Luminon wrote:
Did you ever consider that you don't have to judge me, examine me, or ridicule me?

Then later you said

Luminon wrote:
Yeah, I like scientific and skeptical podcasts, and I listen to them. This is also one of reasons why I have this Superfan badge.

You being here, and especially since you have a superfan badge, is the reason we question your statements. The reason I am here is to talk about subjects I am passionate about, to argue with people I have disagreements with and to expose myself to people with different views then my own. I EXPECT people to challenge my statements if they ever veer away from reality, or even if they are counter to their personal opinions. That's okay. Other people will present their challenges to my statements, then if the evidence they presented doesn't convince me, I will defend my position. If the evidence they present shows me to be wrong, well then I just learned something new and that's always a good thing. I want people to challenge my positions, since that's the only way I can learn anything new. If you have evidence for your statements, you should have no fear of of judgment or examination. Only if you know that the idea doesn't hold water would you try to protect it from the light of scrutiny, and that's precisely the kinds of ideas which must be examined the closest.

Luminon, you seem like a nice person, but if it looks like you wear a Tin Foil Hat, I won't keep my mouth shut about it. And it totally looks like you wear a triple layer Tin Foil Hat.

As long as you come to web sites like this one, expect people to demand evidence for your statements. That's not a bad thing. Just realize your claims will be treated like any other claim, and good solid evidence will be demanded before people will listen. To take a stupid Christian statement and rephrase it for my own benefit:

No evidence, No truth

Know evidence, Know truth

So Luminon, people demanding evidence of you claims means that they are actually giving them a chance. That chance hinges on evidence, and up till now you and every other woo head have not been able to present any in your own favor. So present some solid evidence or expect the arguments.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:You make the

B166ER wrote:
You make the mistake of valuing your intuition (easily fooled) much more then peer reviewed double blind research (much harder to fool). Intuition is what led people to think the moon was a light. It is what led people to think the world was flat or that cutting and draining the "sick blood" out of people would make them better. It also still leads people to make critical errors in their reasoning. Thinking your own intuition is better then well controlled tests is absurd, since not one person in this world is free from their senses playing tricks on them. That's what those evil, bad, meanie poo poo face double blind tests do; separate the follies of our senses from the equation as much as possible.
So far, intuition never fooled me. It's also true that intuition is a rare thing. But still, it helped ancient philosophers to discover the nature of atoms, light spectrum, sound waves, and energy.

B166ER wrote:
Luminon wrote:
Anyway, for this kind of evidence there is only the personal kind available

If all the "evidence" you have to support something is "the personal kind", then you have no evidence at all. What your "evidence" supports could be complete fact or complete BS, but until you get some of that other kind of evidence, you know, the REAL kind, that you can show me, I stay unconvinced.

Personal evidence IS a real evidence, it convinces everyone who see it. The only disadvantage is, that it's impact is local and momentary, but it's not less real. If there is a multiple witnesses to that, and all independently react as they see what they see, then there is no doubt that it's happening. But understanding what exactly was going on, that's a different problem.

B166ER wrote:
NO, if there are higher dimensions to this reality we inhabit, then it is in science's domain. Science is the study of reality, and it it exists, then it is in reality. You just use the term magic because you can't explain it, at least to people who don't already believe in it.
You really don't know the meaning of the word "magic". This word is an umbrella term, just like "science", "energy" or "species". We can not say as an explanation "magic did it" or "science did it" or "god did it", because the question is not who or what, but HOW. And how, that is what the content of the umbrella term is about.

Higher dimensions are not yet domains of science, because of momentary technical and theoretical limitations. But there is an idea that I'd like to introduce to you. Higher dimensions exist according to string theory. Dark matter and energy also hints their existence. The basis of esoteric teachings, and it's applied form (occultism) is, that human being exists in several of these dimensions simultaneously. Here in this one we have a physical body of animal origin. In another dimension, we have a body that governs emotions. In yet higher dimension, there is a double body, that controls intellect and intuition. All of them are connected to the physical brain, and together they form the person. But the dimensions themselves aren't just storages for our counterparts, they're legitimate dimensions of the one universe. It's just us, who react on objects, energies and even simple or complex life forms there as on thoughts, emotions, et cetera. Human consciousness is like flashlight, it's cone of light can only pay attention to a small part of the multi-dimensional reality. The rest of all our bodies' uncontrolled capacity is called subconsciousness. Those who achieved a greater control over their mental, emotional and physical vehicles, are capable of interacting with physical, emotional and mental world in quite unusual ways. That would explain a great deal of so-called paranormal phenomena, including the ancient notion of how one must master oneself, to gain transcendent powers. This is of course not exclusively true. But hopefully I introduced you to the idea how physics of higher dimensions, human mentality and paranormal phenomena should be connected together.
Of course this is an idea, a basic implication of esoteric teaching. For now it is (as far as you're concerned) neither provable nor falsifiable, I just need you to understand how I think. For now, you think that I don't think at all, so I need to show that I do think.
Shortly said, esotericism agrees with science, but it goes a step further and draws parallels between physics and psychology.

B166ER wrote:
And no, technology is not magic. Technology that is sufficiently advanced enough may seem like magic to primitive people, but it's still technology firmly grounded in reality since it's working, nothing magic to it. Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law FTW!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke%27s_three_laws

I did not say that technology is magic. I said, that in their most perfect form, technology and magic are one and the same thing. But in their currently imperfect forms, there is hell of a difference between them. When the science will start to research higher dimensions, both science and occultism will improve rapidly and the difference between them will start to fade away. Eventually, it all will be simply a science of higher dimensions.

B166ER wrote:
That's a problem since your perception can be easily fooled. That's one of the reasons for science. It's hard to fool the senses of many people all at the same time with the proper controls in place, so we use scientific testing to understand the universe in a way that we can prevent our perceptual biases interfering with the results.
I agree that senses can be easily fooled. But I focused on a single anomalous aspect of my one sense, and I studied and observed it for almost 20 years in all circumstances practically daily. And what I found out? It was THE SAME every single day! No matter of my physical or mental state, there were and are no noticeable changes. The only exception was marijuana, about 6 years ago I tried it. The result was that my perception of woo was temporarily increased, not weakened. Alcohol and nicotine didn't have any effect on that.
So yes, it is possible that my senses can be fooled, but not in this one aspect. I have done enough observations with me and other people to be absolutely sure by now. The only thing that is still missing in my study is the scientific professional's analysis through medical technologies and modern theories.

B166ER wrote:
No, by real I mean real. Just because we can't see it, doesn't mean it takes magic to explain it. Look at the light spectrum. We can only see a part of it, but it is all real and needs no magic to explain it. Actually, putting magic up there as an "explanation" just slows us down by preventing us from knowing what it really is sooner rather then later.
As I already said, "magic" can't be used as explanation, because the question is how, not what.

B166ER wrote:
Actually, you're screwed because scientists CAN detect it, thereby giving real evidence as to it's existence in the real world, and not as some selling point to some new age clap trap.
Unless I missed some news, dark matter is still invisible and intangible. It can be observed in astronomically big environment, but not in human-like size or on atomic level. And not on Earth, because it would be bit harder to detect it without vacuum.

B166ER wrote:
Dude, you are not doing anything good for the case that you don't need meds. You sound like an undiagnosed schizophrenic (I have known a few and even have a friend with schizophrenia so I have seen it before) and with every insane thing you say, you dig yourself in deeper and deeper.
I just have read the Wikipedia article on schizophrenia. Phewww.... What a relief, none of the symptoms actually fit on me.
Of course, majority of people experienced in their lives majority of symptoms of schizophrenia. This is why asking things like "have you ever been depressed?" or "have you ever heard voices in your head?" is meaningless. Everyone had problems, the definition of health is, that the problems are only brief.

B166ER wrote:
Luminon wrote:

Another appeal to popularity... sigh...

Luminon, even people together can be fooled, unless you set up controls on your tests to prevent that sort of thing. That's what scientists do. That's why their peer reviewed tests are more reliable then your "I thought about it and looked at it and asked this random person what they thought and I think it's this way" little mind games.  That's why you and and your woo pals are not producing reliable evidence when you play wizards and magic.

How is that appeal to popularity? I did not ask these people on their opinion! I simply mongered the woo secretly, and people who weren't even in my sight suddenly came and said to me, "hey, weren't you just slapping my ass with your woo powers?" Well, that sort of thing. There is no fooling of senses involved, because there are no expectations.

B166ER wrote:
Luminon wrote:
You don't know much about diplomacy

Diplomacy has no bearing on the truth. The truth is there whether you believe it or not. Diplomacy has nothing to do with it.

It has a great effect on spreading of the truth Smiling

B166ER wrote:
Actually, I'm a huge history buff, so I don't know about that comment.

As to some centuries old scientists, yes, they had some bat shit crazy ideas. Just because you are smart doesn't mean you know everything or that you are not influenced by the times you are raised in. It's okay to take the good works of people and throw out the swill. Look at Charles Darwin. He help open the human mind to our whole family heritage, the family of life on earth, but he didn't know a lot about the process. He had no understanding of genetics. So we revise our knowledge of evolution by replacing the stuff that isn't true with current information, not just casting the whole concept aside.

I think those scientists you named deserve credit for their great work they did in advancing science, but not in their own personal woo woo delusions. Just because you are smart doesn't mean you can't be fooled, it just makes it harder. And just because you are a respected scientist, doesn't make everything you say correct.

Well, that is your opinion. If someone is intelligent enough to advance science, then he must be also intelligent enough to see if there is any merit in astrology. The difference between scientists of that age and today is, that the people I mentioned studied and practiced astrology, but contemporary scientists didn't. Contemporary scientists think, that they can test something they don't understand, something they never studied and practiced. Theoretically it is possible, but it greatly decreases their chances on succesful tests.
By the way, Darwin isn't a good example, he seems to have a clean scientific rap sheet, no dark astrologic past.

B166ER wrote:
If something isn't true, then it isn't real. Just playing word games won't do anything to change the difference between reality and fantasy. The woo may seem real to a person experiencing it, but things also seem real to people hallucinating under the influence of drugs like LSD or Psilocybin and I can assure you from personal experience that it is not real.
Ok, that's a bit out of context, but let's say that two people independently see woo, without expecting it in advance. It is extremely unlikely, that two people would hallucinate at the same moment, the same place and the same thing. So I must assume, that the observed object is real, or at least has a real, physical cause. But it's still a personal experience.

B166ER wrote:
Just because someone deserves all the same human rights as everyone else doesn't give them the right to not be ridiculed for their stupid ideas. If someone came up to you and told you that your parents were space aliens who were planing on taking you to their mothership to probe your nether regions, you wouldn't take them seriously even though they are just as much a human being as you or I. No you wouldn't, and you shouldn't, because they would be providing evidence only of their insanity to you.
First we should make clear, why should we act defensively towards people with weird claims, who are probably crazy. This is, because we assume that there is a danger of some sort. They may be either mentally unstable and directly dangerous, or they may be indirectly dangerous, through fucking up the society that will indoctrinate our children into insanity or make stupid laws that will violate freedom. Is that right? Is it why you consider necessary to be defensive against such a people?
I know, philosophy is boring, but sometimes necessary. Stay tuned.

B166ER wrote:
As to the "evil" of claiming one truth is true, would you say that there is another "truth" that the earth is flat. Other people still claim this and they are just as human as us. But they are still wrong. Or that the universe is only 6000 years old. Are they not human? They are still wrong. You would (hopefully) not take their word as equally true as reality, or you would be wrong too. We live in a solar system with one star and anyone claiming otherwise would not be holding "another truth", they would be wrong. Me saying those people are wrong isn't evil by any means, it just honest.
It seems that you equate "being wrong about something" as "being dangerous". Your reason for that is, I presume, that all people like to spread their opinions on others, therefore spreading lies is dangerous.

Consider one thing for me. You surely search for truth. But the mechanism of that is based on fear. You have associated truth with safety and wrongness with danger, to yourself, to kids, to society. That is quite correct.
The problem is, that other people have exactly the same opinion, but different "truth" that they have associated with safety. For them, you are the danger, because you do the same thing like them - express yourself.
This situation is a conflict. To resolve the conflict all people must realize something. The conflict can not be resolved by victory of one opinion. It can be resolved by separation of life from ideologies. By life, I mean human rights, freedom, justice, basic necessities, and so on, and I mean separating it from any kind of ideology. These things must be available to all who need them, regardless of any ideology that anyone has. Humanity must be free from ideologic danger, then there will be a real freedom of thought. The most killing ideology is today, that with money you can eat and live, and without money you must starve and die. Religional ideologies are also destructive. All these ideologies are bad, because they don't value human freedom, therefore they destroy it. But in the world where human integrity is respected, there may be two people, who's religion command them to hate or kill each other, and they won't.

As you mentioned Arthur C. Clarke, I have to mention Isaac Asimov. Just like there are 3 laws of robotics, there should be 3 laws of ideologies, just replace the word "robot".  I realize this is not a simple solution, but there are already very able people in the world who work on that.

B166ER wrote:
  All my friends are like me in the sense that they demand evidence for claims, so yeah, when any of us present an idea, the others want some evidence. That's why we are all good friends. We all have heated debates about things, and require evidence for all claims made. That's just how we live. And I think it strengthens our friendship, since what we hear from each other has already gone through the burden of providing proof and passed and has more weight behind it because we know what kind of evidence was required to convince each other of it. I trust my friends, not because they blindly think what they are told, but because they question me just as much as anything else. The only people I have lost contact with over woo are the ones who couldn't take debates about their belief's, which are people who I don't really care to associate myself with anyways. I don't enjoy spending my time with Sheeple, so all my friends reflect that.
That's interesting. OK, I envy you, that your friends are thinkers. My friends never asked me about evidence. Perhaps even nobody IRL. But this is also because they're realists. They realize, that without an institution that has billions of dollars and best technology available to humanity, (the science) the evidence is suddenly diffcult to get and preserve, it only lasts for a while.

B166ER wrote:
  Friendship and good will have nothing to do with facts about reality. How a person phrases a statement has no bearing on the truth or falsehood of that statement. The statement is either true or false, the method of transmission of that statement has no effect of it's truthfulness. So no, I don't see "that".
What facts? What is a reality for one is merely a hearsay for another, you and me are a typical example. We are subjective beings, our objectivity is built with great diffculties and expenditure of time, money, and best brains on the planet. Therefore, it's better to *consider* some diplomacy and phrasing. It's a common sense, just like speaking a language that the other person can understand. Of course your truth is the only correct truth, and a prison is full of "innocent" people.

B166ER wrote:
  Granted, I am still quite new here, but I haven't seen this "blind" aspect to the arguments of the skeptics here that you speak of. For the most part, I have seen very well reasoned and well thought out arguments, and some funny, intentionally offensive stuff, which is always good too.
Well, as there's the Polish proverb, every fox is proud of his tail Smiling

B166ER wrote:
Harmony is a sham anyways, since never in this reality will every human, let alone all the other species around us, ever agree on one thing. And if peace means having to except it as anyone who wants to goes around filling other people's heads (especially the heads of children) with garbage, then I don't want peace. I would rather live in a world where the BS that comes out of people's mouths is challenged, you know, a world with freedom of speech.
Harmony is not a sham, you did a common mistake, you have mistaken harmony for uniformity. Uniformity helps, that's a fact, nations with less national minorities are politically better off. But uniformity is in practice impossible, and harmony is something different. Harmony is, as I already wrote, elimination of fear of differences. If the differences are not a source of fear and danger, then harmony is possible. And tell me, how there can be a freedom of speech, if you propose challenging of what others say? Smiling  Instead, I would teach the respect for personal freedom, and that includes self-respect. This respect to the lives of others and ours would prevent people from preaching bullshit, and other people from swallowing it. How then would the truth spread? Well, just like today, just much easier and faster, I guess. This is what I'd like to see for real in a several decades.

B166ER wrote:
Luminon wrote:
Yeah, I like scientific and skeptical podcasts, and I listen to them. This is also one of reasons why I have this Superfan badge.
You being here, and especially since you have a superfan badge, is the reason we question your statements. The reason I am here is to talk about subjects I am passionate about, to argue with people I have disagreements with and to expose myself to people with different views then my own. I EXPECT people to challenge my statements if they ever veer away from reality, or even if they are counter to their personal opinions. That's okay. Other people will present their challenges to my statements, then if the evidence they presented doesn't convince me, I will defend my position. If the evidence they present shows me to be wrong, well then I just learned something new and that's always a good thing. I want people to challenge my positions, since that's the only way I can learn anything new. If you have evidence for your statements, you should have no fear of of judgment or examination. Only if you know that the idea doesn't hold water would you try to protect it from the light of scrutiny, and that's precisely the kinds of ideas which must be examined the closest.
Yeah, that's fine. The only problem is with the aspect of realism. The science brought us a lot of reality, and also the powerful tool called the internet. It's very useful, but it has limitations. Most of people realize, that it's impossible to get an evidence for something, squeeze it into some of the computer's crevices and to magically it transport to somewhere else through the internet. On this forum, people seem to be unaware of this aspect of science. Normally I can write with people and they won't ask for evidence, because they know that my computer doesn't support time travel and bending of space, that would allow me to give any evidence. But although I claim I saw weird things, they saw weird things too, so it's not that weird, the weirdnesses eliminate themselves. We do realize and accept, that we communicate on the level of anecdotal evidence. If the anecdotal evidence is internally inconsistent or otherwise unjustifiable, then we can and will say that it's bullshit. There is also no duty to challenge the other person's different opinion, because what works for one, doesn't always have to work for the other. And we're not on an Inquisition tribunal, after all. Even if the other one would be wrong, nobody will go to Hell.

B166ER wrote:
Luminon, you seem like a nice person, but if it looks like you wear a Tin Foil Hat, I won't keep my mouth shut about it. And it totally looks like you wear a triple layer Tin Foil Hat.
Well, proverbially. I guess that anyone else in my situation you would choose 4 layers at least.

B166ER wrote:
As long as you come to web sites like this one, expect people to demand evidence for your statements. That's not a bad thing. Just realize your claims will be treated like any other claim, and good solid evidence will be demanded before people will listen. To take a stupid Christian statement and rephrase it for my own benefit:

No evidence, No truth

Know evidence, Know truth

So Luminon, people demanding evidence of you claims means that they are actually giving them a chance. That chance hinges on evidence, and up till now you and every other woo head have not been able to present any in your own favor. So present some solid evidence or expect the arguments.

You know, I usually realize that there is no evidence that anyone could receive like e-mail. So in the back of my mind there's a little voice saying "Can THEY send me a particle accelerator through the internet, to prove the science? Do I look like someone who has billions of dollars to pay for research of the evidence they need? Are these people crazy?"
Well, actually I almost haven't seen anyone here to prove something to anyone else. This is because in fact everyone here use the scientific institution as their point of reference to the world. When they ask me for evidence, they want a product of a specific institution. Well, that's also a way, I suppose. The problem is, that they forgot in typical american fashion, that the world is much bigger than that, and there are people out there, and they use their reason too, best as they can. And they can't imagine a life in the shadow of gigantic, all-knowing authority of scientific institution.

Sometimes I'd just like to have people consider my...ideas from a philosophical, anecdotal or hypothetical point of view, without demanding the evidence in vain. Instead, they should focus on internal consistency, neatness, usefulness and possible ways of proving it.

fortitude
Science Freak
fortitude's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alternative 'Medicine'

I've got a few thoughts on this subject, which may seem to wander a bit.  But I hope it comes to some point of clarity.

As a  person with some training in 'Plant Science', I have developed an appreciation for how much is yet unknown about plants.  And also the relatively high cost of making new legitimate scientific confirmations (or non-confirmations) of traditional 'wisdom' about uses of plants.  I see traditional medicine, whether eastern or aboriginal or other very old sources, as a rich source of  experience of the effect of particular plants on humans.  Since this experience comes from a pre-scientific age, it naturally comes with a lot of baggage - quaint explanations and reasons for the effects.  It requires research to cull the useful and beneficial knowledge from the 'snake oi'.

The development of agriculture and breeding of plants (and animals) was done by pre-scientific human mammals to the best of their abilities.  Over thousands of years, crop plants were very gradually improved, both intentionally and unintentionally.  Humans and their foods evolved together.  In our post-scientific age, we use  (and daily consume) the 'fruits' of our ancestors labours.  Plant scientists improve those plants at a more rapid pace than was done in pre-scientific times, but we do not start from scratch, tossing out the work of our ancestors.

Traditional medicine inquiries make poor research money for plant scientists because they cannot be claimed as the property of the discoverer.   Essentially they cannot in most cases be patented, because they are the common property of people in general.  Science needs money to proceed, and from my observation, most of this money does not come from government or non-profit groups.   It is based on marketing new 'plant technologies' to the users in a way that will provide monetary dividends to the research program that did the science.   

Some countries have prioritized research into traditional remedies - Germany comes to mind.  Where plant and medicinal research is run only by private, for-profit corporations, herbal medicine will be studied only where a compound is 'patentable'.  Once a plant is shown to have an active property and actual effect scientifically, what is to stop many companies from marketing standardized plant extracts? 

Personally, I am quite interested in learning more about traditional uses of plants and foods to affect our general well-being.  I use tea tree oil and lavender.  I use mint, rosemary, chamomile, lemon balm and other plant-sourced herbs and herbal extracts.  I saw a TV program talking about research done on St. John's Wort to treat mild depression. But I don't reject modern medicine and drugs when I'm acutely ill, or my children are acutely ill.

I also have quite strong opinions on the 'snake oil' shysters that pedal hope to the dying, separating them from their money before they predictably pass away.

"There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must do it because Conscience tells him it is right." Martin Luther King

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is one reality

Luminon, no matter how much you wax poetic with terms like "magic" or "dense-physical", yet you have shown not one piece of evidence to support your claims other then "I KNOW!" It doesn't work, because our perception is quite flawed and easily fooled, therefore people require evidence to back up claims.

Luminon wrote:
So far, intuition never fooled me. It's also true that intuition is a rare thing. But still, it helped ancient philosophers to discover the nature of atoms, light spectrum, sound waves, and energy.

Ummm... no, I would say that was deduction.

Luminon wrote:
Personal evidence IS a real evidence, it convinces everyone who see it. The only disadvantage is, that it's impact is local and momentary, but it's not less real.

Personal experiences can't be used as evidence because you can't show them to anyone else. Therefore I wouldn't call it evidence.

Luminon wrote:
If there is a multiple witnesses to that, and all independently react as they see what they see, then there is no doubt that it's happening.

Ummm... the "Miracle" of Fatima anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Miracle_of_the_Sun

Yes, there WOULD be a doubt that it is happening.

Luminon wrote:
You really don't know the meaning of the word "magic".

Merriam-Webster Dictionary definition:

1 a : the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces b : magic rites or incantations
2 a : an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source b : something that seems to cast a spell : enchantment
3 : the art of producing illusions by sleight of hand

So yeah, I did know what the term magic means. Either it's supernatural, therefore not real, or its all a trick, therefore not real. Maybe it's you who doesn't know what the term magic means?

Luminon wrote:
The basis of esoteric teachings, and it's applied form (occultism) is, that human being exists in several of these dimensions simultaneously. Here in this one we have a physical body of animal origin. In another dimension, we have a body that governs emotions. In yet higher dimension, there is a double body, that controls intellect and intuition. All of them are connected to the physical brain, and together they form the person. But the dimensions themselves aren't just storages for our counterparts, they're legitimate dimensions of the one universe. It's just us, who react on objects, energies and even simple or complex life forms there as on thoughts, emotions, et cetera. Human consciousness is like flashlight, it's cone of light can only pay attention to a small part of the multi-dimensional reality. The rest of all our bodies' uncontrolled capacity is called subconsciousness. Those who achieved a greater control over their mental, emotional and physical vehicles, are capable of interacting with physical, emotional and mental world in quite unusual ways. That would explain a great deal of so-called paranormal phenomena, including the ancient notion of how one must master oneself, to gain transcendent powers. This is of course not exclusively true. But hopefully I introduced you to the idea how physics of higher dimensions, human mentality and paranormal phenomena should be connected together.

I don't know where to begin... Where do you get this? Why would our emotions and intellect be on a "different dimension" then our physical body. That makes no sense!

Luminon wrote:
Shortly said, esotericism agrees with science, but it goes a step further and draws parallels between physics and psychology.

No it doesn't. Only your butchered version of "science" has anything in common with esoteric thinking. I gather you use the term for it's mystical connotations.

Luminon wrote:
I did not say that technology is magic. I said, that in their most perfect form, technology and magic are one and the same thing. But in their currently imperfect forms, there is hell of a difference between them. When the science will start to research higher dimensions, both science and occultism will improve rapidly and the difference between them will start to fade away. Eventually, it all will be simply a science of higher dimensions.

I like the first part where you contradict yourself when you say, and I quote:

"I did not say that technology is magic. I said, that in their most perfect form, technology and magic are one and the same thing."

Internal consistency FAIL!

Luminon, at no time will science and occultism merge into some "science of higher dimensions" The more we learn with science, the more we are able to realize that occultism is as scientific as alchemy or geocentrism.

Luminon wrote:
So yes, it is possible that my senses can be fooled, but not in this one aspect. I have done enough observations with me and other people to be absolutely sure by now.

For how long were people sure that the sun spun around the earth. All their observation "confirmed" it, and everyone who thought this knew they couldn't be mistaken. But they were. So are you and your woo pals.

Luminon wrote:
Unless I missed some news, dark matter is still invisible and intangible. It can be observed in astronomically big environment, but not in human-like size or on atomic level. And not on Earth, because it would be bit harder to detect it without vacuum.

So, detecting something's existence is only important if you can detect it in human sized pieces? Just because we can't see every single place it is, it's effects on our universe has been observed, therefore my statement was correct.

Luminon wrote:
How is that appeal to popularity? I did not ask these people on their opinion! I simply mongered the woo secretly, and people who weren't even in my sight suddenly came and said to me, "hey, weren't you just slapping my ass with your woo powers?" Well, that sort of thing. There is no fooling of senses involved, because there are no expectations.

It is an appeal to popularity by using how many people believe in it to try and give it credibility. It's the same as a religious person "proving" the truth of their faith by showing how many believers it has.

Luminon wrote:
Well, that is your opinion. If someone is intelligent enough to advance science, then he must be also intelligent enough to see if there is any merit in astrology.

Not necessarily so. Look at Kennith Miller:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_R._Miller

Mental compartmentalization at its finest. So no, not everyone intelligent enough to be a scientist will be able to see through all the BS in the world.

Luminon wrote:
Ok, that's a bit out of context, but let's say that two people independently see woo, without expecting it in advance. It is extremely unlikely, that two people would hallucinate at the same moment, the same place and the same thing. So I must assume, that the observed object is real, or at least has a real, physical cause. But it's still a personal experience.

I have had mutual hallucinations with groups of friends, and I have seen studies on the phenomenon as well, so yes, it does exist. Belief in something makes it much easier to think you are seeing it.

Luminon wrote:
First we should make clear, why should we act defensively towards people with weird claims, who are probably crazy.

Two words: Dark Ages.

Luminon wrote:
Consider one thing for me. You surely search for truth. But the mechanism of that is based on fear. You have associated truth with safety and wrongness with danger, to yourself, to kids, to society. That is quite correct.

Sort of. I don't want to live in the Dark Ages because it poses a threat to human freedom and safety, and I don't think other people should be forced to because some authority tells them to.

Luminon wrote:
This situation is a conflict. To resolve the conflict all people must realize something. The conflict can not be resolved by victory of one opinion.

Wrong. We resolve the conflict between helio and geo centric solar theories by proving the geocentrists wrong. They are wrong, plain and simple. So sadly, we can't all just be lovey dovey with each other. There are conflicts between people which will never be resolved by just saying "EVERYBODY IS RIGHT!"That doesn't work and will never fix the issue of what the truth of reality is.

If two people are each saying contradictory statements, both could be wrong or one could be right. They couldn't both be right.

Luminon wrote:
That's interesting. OK, I envy you, that your friends are thinkers. My friends never asked me about evidence. Perhaps even nobody IRL. But this is also because they're realists. They realize, that without an institution that has billions of dollars and best technology available to humanity, (the science) the evidence is suddenly diffcult to get and preserve, it only lasts for a while.

No, they are not realists, they are just naive in thinking evidence isn't necessary.

Luminon wrote:
What facts? What is a reality for one is merely a hearsay for another

No, there are truths about the universe outside of the human mind. There is truth and falsehood. We may have subjective experiences, but they are all within an objective universe. There is a reality and there are things that are true or false, and whether we like it or not, it's that way. Gravity exists whether we think so or not. It's not up to debate. You seem to think that science is a democracy, it is not. It is a Best-To-Our-Knowledge-At-This-Point-Ocracy.

Luminon wrote:
Harmony is not a sham, you did a common mistake, you have mistaken harmony for uniformity.

No, without uniformity, you will never get rid of conflict, therefore harmony is impossible. It's a pipe dream.

Luminon wrote:
And tell me, how there can be a freedom of speech, if you propose challenging of what others say?

Please tell me, how would you have true freedom of speech if you couldn't challenge what other people said? Freedom of speech is a lie if you don't have the freedom to voice you oppositions to others opinions. You obviously have no clue how freedom of speech works. It only works if EVERYONE can voice their opinions AND others can then voice their opinions on the matter, whether its positive or not. Freedom of speech doesn't protect you from being offended, and rightly so, because if it did it wouldn't be true freedom of speech.

Luminon wrote:
Most of people realize, that it's impossible to get an evidence for something, squeeze it into some of the computer's crevices and to magically it transport to somewhere else through the internet. On this forum, people seem to be unaware of this aspect of science. Normally I can write with people and they won't ask for evidence, because they know that my computer doesn't support time travel and bending of space, that would allow me to give any evidence.

You don't understand. You can document experiments and point to the results. Just because I don't work at the CERN Large Hadron Collider (sadly), I can look at the work that they do and know that they are not just talking out of their asses. You can then transmit the data collected across the internet. You can do this with the findings of many other places which do scientific research. So yes, you CAN transmit evidence through the internet.

Luminon wrote:
But although I claim I saw weird things, they saw weird things too, so it's not that weird, the weirdnesses eliminate themselves.

No it doesn't. Just because you find yourself in an echo chamber of woo, doesn't mean that it has any basis in reality.

Luminon wrote:
And we're not on an Inquisition tribunal

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Luminon wrote:
Even if the other one would be wrong, nobody will go to Hell.

It's not a matter of fictional bad places, it's about the effects it has in reality, in the lives of living people. The more people that fall into unscientific thinking, the easier it is for unethical authoritarians to exploit that ignorance of reality to their own benefit.

Luminon wrote:
Sometimes I'd just like to have people consider my...ideas from a philosophical, anecdotal or hypothetical point of view, without demanding the evidence in vain. Instead, they should focus on internal consistency, neatness, usefulness and possible ways of proving it.

Well then, why don't you just look at geocentric arguments for their "philosophical, anecdotal or hypothetical point of view, without demanding the evidence in vain". No you wouldn't, because all of the REAL evidence has shown us that that is a human delusion to think we are the center of the universe.

Things can be internally consistent and still wrong. That's why scientific testing methods were created. So we could analyze claims and test their likelihood.

Luminon, you may think that your intuition is better then rigorous test controls, but it isn't. We are ALL easily fooled, myself included obviously, that's why I demand scientific evidence. I demand scientific evidence for claims because I know how imperfect our faculties are, and I want to have the best idea of understanding the world around me. I can't help it, I have always been a curious person.

You just need to use the Baloney Detection Kit.

No Gods, No Masters!