Designed to Succeed

free_thinker
User is offlineOffline
Designed to Succeed

"Designed to Succeed

One of my favorite sources for evidence of creation and a creator is, "I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist," by Norman L. Geisler and Frank Turek.

In their book they speak of such things as "specified complexity," for instance the message found in the DNA of a one-celled amoeba; even staunch Darwinist Richard Dawkins admits that message is more than all the 30 volumes of Encyclopedia Britannica. The nitrogen-based genetic alphabet A,T,C,G and the way they are arranged in a living cell communicates the specified complexity of that cell. Does that sound random to anyone?

They also list four "anthropic constants" or those atmospheric conditions that make life possible for us here on earth: the exact percentage of oxygen in the air we breathe, the nitrogen level, carbon dioxide level. Consider also the gravity we are subject to. If it were altered 0.(37 zeroes)1 percent we would not exist. Wow.

Does that sound like precision? Does that sound like design? Design requires a designer.

Thomas E. Barker

Highland"

rdklep8
atheistScience FreakSuperfan
rdklep8's picture
User is offlineOffline
This made my face hurt.

This made my face hurt.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Interesting read relating

Interesting read relating to Geisler and Turek...

http://www.kellanstec.com/faithatheist.html

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
free_thinker wrote:They also

free_thinker wrote:
They also list four "anthropic constants" or those atmospheric conditions that make life possible for us here on earth: the exact percentage of oxygen in the air we breathe, the nitrogen level, carbon dioxide level.

OK, that is actually one thing. It is the composition of the atmosphere. It has changed quite dramatically over time. If there was a different mix of gasses, then there would be more of some stuff and less of other stuff.

free_thinker wrote:
Consider also the gravity we are subject to. If it were altered 0.(37 zeroes)1 percent we would not exist. Wow.

I think that you meant the thing known as dark energy. And it is not 1x10^-35. It is 1x10^-135. You missed a hundred decimal places. Although, since yo seem to be uncritically accepting something you read in a book, the error is not yours alone but also rests in part on the authors of that book.

free_thinker wrote:
In their book they speak of such things as "specified complexity," for instance the message found in the DNA of a one-celled amoeba; even staunch Darwinist Richard Dawkins admits that message is more than all the 30 volumes of Encyclopedia Britannica. The nitrogen-based genetic alphabet A,T,C,G and the way they are arranged in a living cell communicates the specified complexity of that cell. Does that sound random to anyone?

Specified complexity? Give me a break. Lots of things are complicated without there being an entity who demands a certain level of complexity. A deck of cards comes to mind. There are over 8x10^67 possible ways to arrange the cards in a deck. Yet when you go to deal a hand of poker, nobody expects them to come out in a certain order.

Nor would anyone expect genetic information to replicate in anything other than the order present in the parent organism, more or less. The key being the more or less clause. If the replication is inaccurate by too large a margin (especially in certain critical structures), then the next generation will fail to reproduce. Yet if it is only a tiny amount different, then some few of those differences are actually going to turn out to be stuff that increases the odds of reproduction. Then, over time, the positive mutations will accumulate until the one organism is quite a bit different from what one first observed.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
free_thinker wrote:also list

free_thinker wrote:

also list four "anthropic constants" or those atmospheric conditions that make life possible for us here on earth: the exact percentage of oxygen in the air we breathe, the nitrogen level, carbon dioxide level. Consider also the gravity we are subject to. If it were altered 0.(37 zeroes)1 percent we would not exist. Wow.

Does that sound like precision? Does that sound like design? Design requires a designer.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs