Theist
Presuppositionalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Something new: ten word debating

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 All arguments for theism

Presup... All arguments for theism are either ignorant or dishonest.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
This topic is bad and you

This topic is bad and you should feel bad, Presup

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Presup...

Sapient wrote:

Sapient, all arguments for atheism are both ignorant and honest.

Q: Why didn't you address (post x) that I made in response to you nine minutes ago???

A: Because I have (a) a job, (b) familial obligations, (c) social obligations, and (d) probably a lot of other atheists responded to the same post you did, since I am practically the token Christian on this site now. Be patient, please.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:This

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

This topic is bad and you should feel bad, Presup

It forces people to express themselves economically.

Like poetry, Pineapple.

Q: Why didn't you address (post x) that I made in response to you nine minutes ago???

A: Because I have (a) a job, (b) familial obligations, (c) social obligations, and (d) probably a lot of other atheists responded to the same post you did, since I am practically the token Christian on this site now. Be patient, please.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Presuppositionalist wrote:

There must be a first cause, aka God.

Your turn.

There was a first cause, the Big Bang.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
There was a first cause,

^ That is God. Welcome to theism.

Quote:
the Big Bang.

Prove it wasn't caused.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

There was a first cause,

^ That is God. Welcome to theism.

Quote:
the Big Bang.

Prove it wasn't caused.

So who made God?

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: So who made God?God

Quote:
So who made God?

God is necessary by definition. He depends on nothing.

Quote:
Quote:
the Big Bang.

Prove it wasn't caused.

^ Drop.

free_thinker
User is offlineOffline
Talk about a self-refuting

Talk about a self-refuting argument...

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
free_thinker wrote:Talk

free_thinker wrote:

Talk about a self-refuting argument...

Yeah. Talk about it. Don't just post and run.

C'mon.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Your definition, all need first cause so does god.

free_thinker
User is offlineOffline
What makes you so certain

What makes you so certain that this "first cause" was god?

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Do you believe everything

Do you believe everything must have a cause? 

Mr. XC
High Level DonorSpecial AgentWebsite AdminPlatinum Member
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Naturally, simple things form gradually more complex things, God unnecessary.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cause is a postulate, not a

Cause is a postulate, not a law. Refutes your premise.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

Your definition, 

Anselm's. The Bible's: I AM WHO AM.

Quote:
all need first cause so does god.

Begins to exist.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
free_thinker wrote:What

free_thinker wrote:

What makes you so certain that this "first cause" was god?

not mechanical => free

Powerful cause outside spacetime (obvious), free = God.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:Do you believe

RatDog wrote:

Everything that begins to exist has a cause. Craig's Kalam.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Mr. XC

Mr. XC wrote:

And where, pray tell, do the simple things come from?

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Cause is a

Eloise wrote:

It's more reasonable to believe than not - even Hume agrees.

free_thinker
User is offlineOffline
"Not

"Not mechanical?"

Assumption.

The leading hypothesis is that quantum fluctuation caused it.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

RatDog wrote:

You are anthropomorphizing the unknown for no reason.  Maybe fear?

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I now present you an

I now present you an incredible wall of text:

(Mods may delete this if not found funny at all.)

set 1 play_w2("S0290900")

(st)

v. set, set·ting, setsv.tr.1. To put in a specified position; place: set a book on a table.2. To put into a specified state: set the prisoner at liberty.3. a. To put into a stable position: set the fence post into a bed of concrete.b. To fix firmly or in an immobile manner: He set his jaw and concentrated on flying the plane through the storm.4. To restore to a proper and normal state when dislocated or broken: set a broken arm.5. a. To adjust for proper functioning.b. To adjust (a saw) by deflecting the teeth.c. Nautical To spread open to the wind: set the sails.6. To adjust according to a standard.7. To adjust (an instrument or device) to a specific point or calibration: set an alarm clock.8. To arrange properly for use: set a place for a dinner guest; set a table.9. To apply equipment, such as curlers and clips, to (hair) in order to style.10. Printing a. To arrange (type) into words and sentences preparatory to printing; compose.b. To transpose into type.11. Music a. To compose (music) to fit a given text.b. To write (words) to fit a given melodic line.12. To arrange scenery on (a theater stage).13. To prescribe the unfolding of (a drama or narrative, for instance) in a specific place: a play that is set in Venice.14. To prescribe or establish: set a precedent.15. To prescribe as a time for: set June 6 as the day of the invasion.16. To detail or assign (someone) to a particular duty, service, or station: set the child to cleaning the closets; set guards around the perimeter.17. To incite to hostile action: a war that set families against one another.18. a. To establish as the highest level of performance: set a world aviation record.b. To establish as a model: A parent must set a good example for the children.19. a. To put in a mounting; mount: set an emerald in a pendant.b. To apply jewels to; stud: a tiara that was set with diamonds.20. To cause to sit.21. a. To put (a hen) on eggs for the purpose of hatching them.b. To put (eggs) beneath a hen or in an incubator.22. Sports To position (oneself) in such a way as to be ready to start running a race.23. Sports To pass (a volleyball), usually with the fingertips, in an arc close to the net so that a teammate can drive it over the net.24. a. To value or regard something at the rate of: She sets a great deal by good nutrition.b. To fix at a given amount: The judge set bail for the defendant at $50,000.c. To make as an estimate of worth: We set a high value on human life.25. To point to the location of (game) by holding a fixed attitude. Used of a hunting dog.26. Botany To produce, as after pollination: set seed.27. a. To prepare (a trap) for catching prey.b. To fix (a hook) firmly into a fish's jaw.v.intr.1. To disappear below the horizon: The sun set at seven that evening.2. To diminish or decline; wane.3. To sit on eggs. Used of fowl.4. a. To become fixed; harden. See Synonyms at coagulate.b. To become permanent. Used of dye.5. To become whole; knit. Used of a broken bone.6. Botany To mature or develop, as after pollination.7. Nonstandard To sit: "If Emmett drives, I could set up front" (Bobbie Ann Mason).8. To position oneself preparatory to an action, such as running a race.adj.1. Fixed or established by agreement: a set time for the launching.2. Established by convention: followed set procedures for filing a grievance.3. Established deliberately; intentional: Our set purpose is to win the conflict.4. Fixed and rigid: "His bearded face already has a set, hollow look" (Conor Cruise O'Brien).5. Unwilling or very reluctant to change: He is set in his ways.6. a. Intent and determined: "He is dead set against rushing abroad to build a plant" (Fortune).b. Ready: We are set to leave early tomorrow morning.n.1. a. The act or process of setting.b. The condition resulting from setting.2. The manner in which something is positioned: the set of her cap.3. A permanent firming or hardening of a substance, as by cooling.4. The deflection of the teeth of a saw.5. a. The carriage or bearing of a part of the body.b. A particular psychological state, usually that of anticipation or preparedness: "The mental set of an audience is crucial to his performance" (Psychology Today).6. A descent below the horizon.7. The direction or course of wind or water.8. A seedling, slip, or cutting that is ready for planting.9. The act of arranging hair by waving and curling it.10. Sports The act of setting a volleyball for a teammate.

Phrasal Verbs:

set aboutTo begin or start: set about solving the problem.set apart1. To reserve for a specific use.2. To make noticeable: character traits that set her apart.set aside1. To separate and reserve for a special purpose.2. To discard or reject.3. To declare invalid; annul or overrule: The court has set aside the conviction.set atTo attack or assail: The dogs set at the fox.set back1. To slow down the progress of; hinder.2. Informal To cost: That coat set me back $1,000.set byTo reserve for future use: It is wise to set food and money by in case of a future emergency.set down1. To cause to sit; seat: Set the baby down here.2. To put in writing; record: We set down the facts.3. a. To regard; consider: Just set him down as a sneak.b. To assign to a cause; attribute: Let's set the error down to inexperience.4. To land (an aircraft): The pilot set the plane down hard.5. Baseball To put out (a batter); retire. Used of a pitcher.set forth1. To present for consideration; propose: set forth a sound plan.2. To express in words: She has set forth her ideas.set forwardTo begin a journey.set in1. To insert: set in the sleeve of a gown.2. To begin to happen or be apparent: "Evening was setting in as I took the road over Mountain Top" (Charles Siebert).3. To move toward the shore. Used of wind or water.set off1. a. To give rise to; cause to occur: set off a chemical reaction.b. To cause to explode: set off a bomb.c. To make suddenly or demonstrably angry: The clerk's indifference finally set me off.2. To indicate as being different; distinguish: features setting him off from the crowd.3. To direct attention to by contrast; accentuate: set off a passage with italics.4. To counterbalance, counteract, or compensate for: Our dismay at her leaving was set off by our knowing that she was happy.5. To start on a journey: set off for Europe.set out1. To begin an earnest attempt; undertake: He set out to understand why the plan had failed.2. To lay out systematically or graphically: set out a terrace.3. To display for exhibition or sale.4. To plant: set out seedlings.5. To start a journey: She set out at dawn for town.set to1. To begin working energetically; start in.2. To begin fighting.set up1. To place in an upright position.2. a. To elevate; raise.b. To raise in authority or power; invest with power: They set the general up as a dictator.c. To put (oneself) forward as; claim to be: He has set himself up as an authority on the English language.d. To assemble and erect: set up a new machine.3. To establish; found: set up a charity.4. To cause: They set up howls of protest over new taxes.5. To establish in business by providing capital, equipment, or other backing.6. Informal a. To treat (someone) to drinks.b. To pay for (drinks).7. Informal To stimulate or exhilarate: a victory that really set the team up.8. To lay plans for: set up a kidnapping.9. Informal To put (someone else) into a compromising situation by deceit or trickery: Swindlers have set me up.10. Sports To make a pass to (a teammate), creating a scoring opportunity.set uponTo attack violently: Guards set dogs upon the escaping prisoners.

Idioms:

set fire toTo cause to ignite and burn.set foot inTo enter.set foot onTo step on.set in motionTo give impetus to: The indictment set the judicial process in motion.set (one's) heart onTo be determined to do something.set (one's) sights onTo have as a goal: She set her sights on medical school.set on fire1. To cause to ignite and burn.2. To cause to become excited: The music set the audience on fire.set sail Nautical To begin a voyage on water.set (someone) straightTo correct (someone) by providing full and accurate information.set store byTo regard as valuable or worthwhile.set the pace1. To go at a speed that other competitors attempt to match or surpass.2. To behave or perform in a way that others try to emulate.set the stage forTo provide the underlying basis for: saber rattling that set the stage for war.set up housekeepingTo establish a household.set up shopTo establish one's business operations.
[Middle English setten, from Old English settan; see sed- in Indo-European roots.]Usage Note: Originally set meant "to cause (something) to sit," so that it is now in most cases a transitive verb: She sets the book on the table. He sets the table. Sit is generally an intransitive verb: He sits at the table. There are some exceptions: The sun sets (not sits). A hen sets (or sits) on her eggs.
set 2 play_w2("S0290900") (st)n.1. A group of things of the same kind that belong together and are so used: a chess set.2. A group of persons sharing a common interest: the high-school set.3. A group of books or periodicals published as a unit.4. a. A number of couples required for participation in a square dance.b. The movements constituting a square dance.5. a. The scenery constructed for a theatrical performance.b. The entire enclosure in which a movie is filmed; the sound stage.6. Music a. A session of music, typically dance music, played before an intermission.b. The music so played.7. The collective receiving apparatus assembled to operate a radio or television.8. Mathematics A collection of distinct elements having specific common properties: a set of positive integers.9. Sports a. A group of games constituting one division or unit of a match, as in tennis.b. An offensive formation in football or basketball.
[Middle English sette, from Old French, from Medieval Latin secta, retinue, from Latin, faction; see sect.]
hm()

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

set1

vb sets, setting, set (mainly tr)1. to put or place in position or into a specified state or condition to set a book on the table to set someone free2. (also intr; foll by to or on) to put or be put (to); apply or be applied he set fire to the house they set the dogs on the scent3. to put into order or readiness for use; prepare to set a trap to set the table for dinner4. (also intr) to put, form, or be formed into a jelled, firm, fixed, or rigid state the jelly set in three hours5. (also intr) to put or be put into a position that will restore a normal state to set a broken bone6. to adjust (a clock or other instrument) to a position7. to determine or establish we have set the date for our wedding8. to prescribe or allot (an undertaking, course of study, etc.) the examiners have set ``Paradise Lost''9. to arrange in a particular fashion, esp an attractive one she set her hair the jeweller set the diamonds in silver10. (Clothing & Fashion) (of clothes) to hang or fit (well or badly) when worn11. (Music, other) Also set to music to provide music for (a poem or other text to be sung)12. (Communication Arts / Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) Also set up Printing to arrange or produce (type, film, etc.) from (text or copy); compose13. (Performing Arts / Theatre) (Performing Arts) to arrange (a stage, television studio, etc.) with scenery and props14. to describe or present (a scene or the background to a literary work, story, etc.) in words his novel is set in Russia15. to present as a model of good or bad behaviour (esp in the phrases set an example, set a good example, set a bad example)16. (foll by on or by) to value (something) at a specified price or estimation of worth he set a high price on his services17. (foll by at) to price (the value of something) at a specified sum he set his services at £30018. (also intr) to give or be given a particular direction his course was set to the East19. (Transport / Nautical Terms) (also intr) to rig (a sail) or (of a sail) to be rigged so as to catch the wind20. (intr) (of the sun, moon, etc.) to disappear beneath the horizon21. to leave (dough, etc.) in one place so that it may prove22. to sharpen (a cutting blade) by grinding or honing the angle adjacent to the cutting edge23. to displace alternate teeth of (a saw) to opposite sides of the blade in order to increase the cutting efficiency24. to sink (the head of a nail) below the surface surrounding it by using a nail set25. (Electronics & Computer Science / Computer Science) Computing to give (a binary circuit) the value 126. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Botany) (of plants) to produce (fruits, seeds, etc.) after pollination or (of fruits or seeds) to develop after pollination27. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Agriculture) to plant (seeds, seedlings, etc.)28. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Agriculture) to place (a hen) on (eggs) for the purpose of incubation29. (Individual Sports & Recreations / Hunting) (intr) (of a gun dog) to turn in the direction of game, indicating its presence30. Scot and Irish to let or lease to set a house31. (Group Games / Bridge) Bridge to defeat (one's opponents) in their attempt to make a contract32. a dialect word for sitset eyes on to seen1. the act of setting or the state of being set2. a condition of firmness or hardness3. bearing, carriage, or posture the set of a gun dog when pointing4. (Clothing & Fashion) the fit or hang of a garment, esp when worn5. (Performing Arts / Theatre) (Performing Arts) the scenery and other props used in and identifying the location of a stage or television production, film, etc.6. (Communication Arts / Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) Also called set width Printinga.  the width of the body of a piece of typeb.  the width of the lines of type in a page or column7. (Transport / Nautical Terms) Nauticala.  the cut of the sails or the arrangement of the sails, spars, rigging, etc., of a vesselb.  the direction from which a wind is blowing or towards which a tide or current is moving8. (Psychology) Psychol a temporary bias disposing an organism to react to a stimulus in one way rather than in others9. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Agriculture) a seedling, cutting, or similar part that is ready for planting onion sets10. (Engineering / Tools) a blacksmith's tool with a short head similar to a cold chisel set transversely onto a handle and used, when struck with a hammer, for cutting off lengths of iron bars11. (Engineering / Tools) See nail set12. the direction of flow of water13. a mechanical distortion of shape or alignment, such as a bend in a piece of metal14. (Engineering / General Engineering) the penetration of a driven pile for each blow of the drop hammer15. (Engineering / Civil Engineering) (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Zoology) (Clothing, Personal Arts & Crafts / Textiles) a variant spelling of settadj1. fixed or established by authority or agreement set hours of work2. (usually postpositive) rigid or inflexible she is set in her ways3. conventional, artificial, or stereotyped, rather than spontaneous she made her apology in set phrases4. (postpositive; foll by on or upon) resolute in intention he is set upon marrying5. (Social Science / Education) (of a book, etc.) prescribed for students' preparation for an examination See also set about, set against, set aside, set back, set down, set forth, set in, set off, set on, set out, set to, set up, set upon[Old English settan, causative of sittan to sit; related to Old Frisian setta, Old High German sezzan]

set2

n1. a number of objects or people grouped or belonging together, often forming a unit or having certain features or characteristics in common a set of coins John is in the top set for maths2. a group of people who associate together, esp a clique he's part of the jet set3. (Mathematics) (Philosophy / Logic) Maths logica.  Also called class a collection of numbers, objects, etc., that is treated as an entity: {3, the moon} is the set the two members of which are the number 3 and the moonb.  (in some formulations) a class that can itself be a member of other classes4. (Electronics) any apparatus that receives or transmits television or radio signals5. (Individual Sports & Recreations / Tennis) (Individual Sports & Recreations / Squash & Fives) (Individual Sports & Recreations / Badminton) Tennis squash badminton one of the units of a match, in tennis one in which one player or pair of players must win at least six games Graf lost the first set6. (Performing Arts / Dancing)a.  the number of couples required for a formation danceb.  a series of figures that make up a formation dance7. (Music, other)a.  a band's or performer's concert repertoire on a given occasion the set included no new numbersb.  a continuous performance the Who played two setsvb sets, setting, set1. (Performing Arts / Dancing) (intr) (in square dancing and country dancing) to perform a sequence of steps while facing towards another dancer set to your partners2. (usually tr) to divide into sets in this school we set our older pupils for English[C14 (in the obsolete sense: a religious sect): from Old French sette, from Latin secta sect; later sense development influenced by the verb set1]hc_dict()

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 6th Edition 2003. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

set play_w2("S0290900") (st)A collection of distinct elements that have something in common. In mathematics, sets are commonly represented by enclosing the members of a set in curly braces, as {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}, the set of all positive integers from 1 to 5.
hm_sci()

The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Set

a number of items of a similar nature usually used together; a group of persons who habitually meet socially or through some other contact.

dcng()Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend:  Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun1.setset - a group of things of the same kind that belong together and are so used; "a set of books"; "a set of golf clubs"; "a set of teeth"teeth, dentition - the kind and number and arrangement of teeth (collectively) in a person or animalvolume - a publication that is one of a set of several similar publications; "the third volume was missing"; "he asked for the 1989 volume of the Annual Review"aggregation, collection, accumulation, assemblage - several things grouped together or considered as a wholesingleton - a set containing a single memberpair, brace - a set of two similar things considered as a unittriad, triple, triplet, trio - a set of three similar things considered as a unitquadruple, quartette, quadruplet, quartet - a set of four similar things considered as a unitquintuple, quintette, quintuplet, quintet - a set of five similar things considered as a unitsextette, sestet, sextet - a set of six similar things considered as a unitseptette, septet - a set of seven similar things considered as a unitoctette, octet - a set of eight similar things considered as a unitchess set - checkerboard and a set of 32 pieces used to play chessmanicure set - a set of implements used to manicurejoin, sum, union - a set containing all and only the members of two or more given sets; "let C be the union of the sets A and B"Cartesian product, intersection, product - the set of elements common to two or more sets; "the set of red hats is the intersection of the set of hats and the set of red things"field - all the competitors in a particular contest or sporting eventfield - all of the horses in a particular horse racefield - (computer science) a set of one or more adjacent characters comprising a unit of informationbracket - a category falling within certain defined limitsconjugation - the complete set of inflected forms of a verbsuite - a matching set of furniturechoir, consort - a family of similar musical instrument playing togethercore, core group, nucleus - a small group of indispensable persons or things; "five periodicals make up the core of their publishing program"portfolio - a set of pieces of creative work collected to be shown to potential customers or employers; "the artist had put together a portfolio of his work"; "every actor has a portfolio of photographs"score - a set of twenty members; "a score were sent out but only one returned"threescore - a set with 3 times 20 memberssynset - a set of one or more synonyms
 2.set - (mathematics) an abstract collection of numbers or symbols; "the set of prime numbers is infinite"abstract entity, abstraction - a general concept formed by extracting common features from specific examplesmath, mathematics, maths - a science (or group of related sciences) dealing with the logic of quantity and shape and arrangementinterval - a set containing all points (or all real numbers) between two given endpointsmathematical group, group - a set that is closed, associative, has an identity element and every element has an inversedomain of a function, domain - (mathematics) the set of values of the independent variable for which a function is definedrange of a function, image, range - (mathematics) the set of values of the dependent variable for which a function is defined; "the image of f(x) = x^2 is the set of all non-negative real numbers if the domain of the function is the set of all real numbers"universal set - (mathematics) the set that contains all the elements or objects involved in the problem under consideration; "all other sets are subsets of the universal set"locus - the set of all points or lines that satisfy or are determined by specific conditions; "the locus of points equidistant from a given point is a circle"subset - a set whose members are members of another set; a set contained within another setnull set - a set that is empty; a set with no membersMandelbrot set - a set of complex numbers that has a highly convoluted fractal boundary when plotted; the set of all points in the complex plane that are bounded under a certain mathematical iterationmathematical space, topological space - (mathematics) any set of points that satisfy a set of postulates of some kind; "assume that the topological space is finite dimensional"field - (mathematics) a set of elements such that addition and multiplication are commutative and associative and multiplication is distributive over addition and there are two elements 0 and 1; "the set of all rational numbers is a field"solution, root - the set of values that give a true statement when substituted into an equationdiagonal - (mathematics) a set of entries in a square matrix running diagonally either from the upper left to lower right entry or running from the upper right to lower left entryintersection - a point or set of points common to two or more geometric configurations
 3.set - several exercises intended to be done in series; "he did four sets of the incline bench press"exercise setexercise, exercising, physical exercise, physical exertion, workout - the activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit; "the doctor recommended regular exercise"; "he did some exercising"; "the physical exertion required by his work kept him fit"
 4.set - representation consisting of the scenery and other properties used to identify the location of a dramatic production; "the sets were meticulously authentic"stage setmise en scene, stage setting, setting - arrangement of scenery and properties to represent the place where a play or movie is enactedrepresentation - a creation that is a visual or tangible rendering of someone or somethingscenery, scene - the painted structures of a stage set that are intended to suggest a particular locale; "they worked all night painting the scenery"set decoration - a decoration used as part of the set of a theatrical or movie production
 5.set - an unofficial association of people or groups; "the smart set goes there"; "they were an angry lot"band, circle, lotsocial group - people sharing some social relationcar pool - a small group of car drivers who arrange to take turns driving while the others are passengersclique, coterie, ingroup, inner circle, camp, pack - an exclusive circle of people with a common purposecohort - a band of warriors (originally a unit of a Roman Legion)confederacy, conspiracy - a group of conspirators banded together to achieve some harmful or illegal purposeFour Hundred - the exclusive social set of a cityhorsey set, horsy set - a set of people sharing a devotion to horses and horseback riding and horse racingjet set - a set of rich and fashionable people who travel widely for pleasureparty, company - a band of people associated temporarily in some activity; "they organized a party to search for food"; "the company of cooks walked into the kitchen"
 6.set - a relatively permanent inclination to react in a particular way; "the set of his mind was obvious"bentinclination, tendency, disposition - an attitude of mind especially one that favors one alternative over others; "he had an inclination to give up too easily"; "a tendency to be too strict"
 7.set - the act of putting something in position; "he gave a final set to his hat"locating, positioning, emplacement, location, placement, position - the act of putting something in a certain place
 8.set - a unit of play in tennis or squash; "they played two sets of tennis after dinner"game - (tennis) a division of play during which one player servesperiod of play, playing period, play - (in games or plays or other performances) the time during which play proceeds; "rain stopped play in the 4th inning"
 9.set - the process of becoming hard or solid by cooling or drying or crystallization; "the hardening of concrete"; "he tested the set of the glue"curing, solidification, solidifying, hardeningcongealment, congelation - the process of congealing; solidification by (or as if by) freezingnatural action, natural process, action, activity - a process existing in or produced by nature (rather than by the intent of human beings); "the action of natural forces"; "volcanic activity"plastination - a process involving fixation and dehydration and forced impregnation and hardening of biological tissues; water and lipids are replaced by curable polymers (silicone or epoxy or polyester) that are subsequently hardened; "the plastination of specimens is valuable for research and teaching"
 10.Set - evil Egyptian god with the head of a beast that has high square ears and a long snout; brother and murderer of OsirisSeth
 11.set - the descent of a heavenly body below the horizon; "before the set of sun"descent - a movement downward
 12.set - (psychology) being temporarily ready to respond in a particular way; "the subjects' set led them to solve problems the familiar way and to overlook the simpler solution"; "his instructions deliberately gave them the wrong set"readinesscognitive state, state of mind - the state of a person's cognitive processespsychological science, psychology - the science of mental life
 13.set - any electronic equipment that receives or transmits radio or tv signals; "the early sets ran on storage batteries"communication equipment, communication system - facility consisting of the physical plants and equipment for disseminating informationelectronic equipment - equipment that involves the controlled conduction of electrons (especially in a gas or vacuum or semiconductor)receiver, receiving system - set that receives radio or tv signalssender, transmitter - set used to broadcast radio or tv signals
Verb1.set - put into a certain place or abstract location; "Put your things here"; "Set the tray down"; "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"; "Place emphasis on a certain point"lay, place, put, position, poseput in, stick in, inclose, insert, introduce, enclose - introduce; "Insert your ticket here"docket - place on the docket for legal action; "Only 5 of the 120 cases docketed were tried"cock - set the trigger of a firearm back for firingpostpose - place after another constituent in the sentence; "Japanese postposes the adpositions, whereas English preposes them"prepose - place before another constituent in the sentence; "English preposes the adpositions; Japanese postposes them"step - place (a ship's mast) in its stepput back, replace - put something back where it belongs; "replace the book on the shelf after you have finished reading it"; "please put the clean dishes back in the cabinet when you have washed them"stratify - form, arrange, or deposit in layers; "The fish are stratified in barrels"; "The rock was stratified by the force of the water"; "A statistician stratifies the list of names according to the addresses"plant - place something or someone in a certain position in order to secretly observe or deceive; "Plant a spy in Moscow"; "plant bugs in the dissident's apartment"intersperse - place at intervals in or among; "intersperse exclamation marks in the text"snuggle, nestle - position comfortably; "The baby nestled her head in her mother's elbow"pile - place or lay as if in a pile; "The teacher piled work on the students until the parents protested"arrange, set up - put into a proper or systematic order; "arrange the books on the shelves in chronological order"superimpose, superpose, lay over - place on top of; "can you superimpose the two images?"superpose - place (one geometric figure) upon another so that their perimeters coincidepark - place temporarily; "park the car in the yard"; "park the children with the in-laws"; "park your bag in this locker"ensconce, settle - fix firmly; "He ensconced himself in the chair"dispose - place or put in a particular order; "the dots are unevenly disposed"emplace - put into place or position; "the box with the ancestors' ashes was emplaced on the top shelf of the house altar"emplace - provide a new emplacement for gunsship - place on board a ship; "ship the cargo in the hold of the vessel"underlay - put (something) under or beneath; "They underlaid the shingles with roofing paper"trench - set, plant, or bury in a trench; "trench the fallen soldiers"; "trench the vegetables"pigeonhole - place into a small compartmentshelve - place on a shelf; "shelve books"jar - place in a cylindrical vessel; "jar the jam"repose - to put something (eg trust) in something; "The nation reposed its confidence in the King"sign - place signs, as along a road; "sign an intersection"; "This road has been signed"middle - put in the middleparallelize - place parallel to one anotherbutt - place end to end without overlapping; "The frames must be butted at the joints"recess - put into a recess; "recess lights"reposition - place into another positionthrow, thrust - place or put with great energy; "She threw the blanket around the child"; "thrust the money in the hands of the beggar"tee, tee up - place on a tee; "tee golf balls"rack up - place in a rack; "rack pool balls"coffin - place into a coffin; "her body was coffined"bed - put to bed; "The children were bedded at ten o'clock"appose - place side by side or in close proximityplace down, put down, set down - cause to sit or seat or be in a settled position or place; "set down your bags here"sow, seed - place (seeds) in or on the ground for future growth; "She sowed sunflower seeds"misplace - place or position wrongly; put in the wrong position; "misplaced modifiers"juxtapose - place side by side; "The fauvists juxtaposed strong colors"set down - put or settle into a position; "The hotel was set down at the bottom of the valley"bottle - put into bottles; "bottle the mineral water"
 2.set - fix conclusively or authoritatively; "set the rules"determineidentify, place - recognize as being; establish the identity of someone or something; "She identified the man on the 'wanted' poster"date - assign a date to; determine the (probable) date of; "Scientists often cannot date precisely archeological or prehistorical findings"value - fix or determine the value of; assign a value to; "value the jewelry and art work in the estate"filiate - fix the paternity of; "The court filiated the child born out of wedlock"format - determine the arrangement of (data) for storage and display (in computer science)charge - set or ask for a certain price; "How much do you charge for lunch?"; "This fellow charges $100 for a massage"initialise, initialize - assign an initial value to a computer programtax, assess - set or determine the amount of (a payment such as a fine)price - determine the price of; "The grocer priced his wares high"
 3.set - decide upon or fix definitely; "fix the variables"; "specify the parameters"specify, fix, limit, determine, definequantify - use as a quantifierchoose, pick out, select, take - pick out, select, or choose from a number of alternatives; "Take any one of these cards"; "Choose a good husband for your daughter"; "She selected a pair of shoes from among the dozen the salesgirl had shown her"name - mention and identify by name; "name your accomplices!"reset - set anew; "They re-set the date on the clock"define - give a definition for the meaning of a word; "Define `sadness'"
 4.set - establish as the highest level or best performance; "set a record"marklay down, establish, make - institute, enact, or establish; "make laws"
 5.set - put into a certain state; cause to be in a certain state; "set the house afire"alter, change, modify - cause to change; make different; cause a transformation; "The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city"; "The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue"pitch - set to a certain pitch; "He pitched his voice very low"keynote - set the keynote of; "Comfort keynotes this designer's Fall collection"lay out, set up, set - get ready for a particular purpose or event; "set up an experiment"; "set the table"; "lay out the tools for the surgery"set apart, assign, specify - select something or someone for a specific purpose; "The teacher assigned him to lead his classmates in the exercise"appropriate, earmark, set aside, reserve, allow - give or assign a resource to a particular person or cause; "I will earmark this money for your research"; "She sets aside time for meditation every day"instigate, incite, stir up, set off - provoke or stir up; "incite a riot"; "set off great unrest among the people"activate, actuate, set off, spark, spark off, touch off, trigger, trigger off, trip - put in motion or move to act; "trigger a reaction"; "actuate the circuits"cancel, offset, set off - make up for; "His skills offset his opponent's superior strength"
 6.set - fix in a border; "The goldsmith set the diamond"arrange, set up - put into a proper or systematic order; "arrange the books on the shelves in chronological order"
 7.set - make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc; "Get the children ready for school!"; "prepare for war"; "I was fixing to leave town after I paid the hotel bill"gear up, prepare, ready, fix, set upalter, change, modify - cause to change; make different; cause a transformation; "The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city"; "The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue"socialise, socialize - prepare for social life; "Children have to be socialized in school"provide - take measures in preparation for; "provide for the proper care of the passengers on the cruise ship"cram - prepare (students) hastily for an impending examprecondition - put into the required condition beforehandfix - kill, preserve, and harden (tissue) in order to prepare for microscopic studymount - fix onto a backing, setting, or support; "mount slides for macroscopic analysis"lay out, set up, set - get ready for a particular purpose or event; "set up an experiment"; "set the table"; "lay out the tools for the surgery"winterise, winterize - prepare for winter; "winterize cars"; "winterize your houses"summerise, summerize - prepare for summer; "summerize your car"; "summerize a house"prime - insert a primer into (a gun, mine, or charge) preparatory to detonation or firing; "prime a cannon"; "prime a mine"crop, cultivate, work - prepare for crops; "Work the soil"; "cultivate the land"brace, poise - prepare (oneself) for something unpleasant or difficult
 8.set - set to a certain position or cause to operate correctly; "set clocks or instruments"adjust, correct, set - alter or regulate so as to achieve accuracy or conform to a standard; "Adjust the clock, please"; "correct the alignment of the front wheels"reset - set to zero; "reset instruments and dials"set ahead, advance - move forward; "we have to advance clocks and watches when we travel eastward"set ahead, advance - move forward; "we have to advance clocks and watches when we travel eastward"
 9.set - locate; "The film is set in Africa"localise, localize, placestage, present, represent - perform (a play), especially on a stage; "we are going to stage `Othello'"
 10.set - disappear beyond the horizon; "the sun sets early these days"go under, go downastronomy, uranology - the branch of physics that studies celestial bodies and the universe as a wholecome down, descend, go down, fall - move downward and lower, but not necessarily all the way; "The temperature is going down"; "The barometer is falling"; "The curtain fell on the diva"; "Her hand went up and then fell again"uprise, ascend, come up, rise - come up, of celestial bodies; "The sun also rises"; "The sun uprising sees the dusk night fled..."; "Jupiter ascends"
 11.set - adapt for performance in a different way; "set this poem to music"arrangemusic - an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous mannerprearrange - arrange beforehandcompose, write - write music; "Beethoven composed nine symphonies"put - adapt; "put these words to music"transpose - put (a piece of music) into another keytabularise, tabularize, tabulate, table - arrange or enter in tabular form
 12.set - put or set (seeds, seedlings, or plants) into the ground; "Let's plant flowers in the garden"plantlay, place, put, set, position, pose - put into a certain place or abstract location; "Put your things here"; "Set the tray down"; "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"; "Place emphasis on a certain point"root - plant by the rootspuddle - dip into mud before planting; "puddle young plants"checkrow - plant in checkrowsbed - place (plants) in a prepared bed of soildibble - plant with a wooden hand tool; "dibble Spring bulbs"afforest, forest - establish a forest on previously unforested land; "afforest the mountains"replant - plant again or anew; "They replanted the land"; "He replanted the seedlings"tree - plant with trees; "this lot should be treed so that the house will be shaded in summer"
 13.set - apply or start; "set fire to a building"initiate, originate, start - bring into being; "He initiated a new program"; "Start a foundation"
 14.set - become gelatinous; "the liquid jelled after we added the enzyme"congeal, jellsolidify - become solid; "The metal solidified when it cooled"
 15.setset - set in type; "My book will be typeset nicely"; "set these words in italics"typesetprint, impress - reproduce by printing
 16.set - put into a position that will restore a normal state; "set a broken bone"lay, place, put, set, position, pose - put into a certain place or abstract location; "Put your things here"; "Set the tray down"; "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"; "Place emphasis on a certain point"
 17.set - insert (a nail or screw below the surface, as into a countersink)countersinkbury, sink - embed deeply; "She sank her fingers into the soft sand"; "He buried his head in her lap"
 18.set - give a fine, sharp edge to a knife or razorhone - sharpen with a hone; "hone a knife"
 19.set - urge to attack someone; "The owner sicked his dogs on the intruders"; "the shaman sics sorcerers on the evil spirits"sicassail, assault, set on, attack - attack someone physically or emotionally; "The mugger assaulted the woman"; "Nightmares assailed him regularly"
 20.set - estimate; "We put the time of arrival at 8 P.M."put, placeestimate, gauge, approximate, guess, judge - judge tentatively or form an estimate of (quantities or time); "I estimate this chicken to weigh three pounds"
 21.set - equip with sails or masts; "rig a ship"rig, set upequip, fit out, outfit, fit - provide with (something) usually for a specific purpose; "The expedition was equipped with proper clothing, food, and other necessities"
 22.set - get ready for a particular purpose or event; "set up an experiment"; "set the table"; "lay out the tools for the surgery"lay out, set upgear up, prepare, ready, set, fix, set up - make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc; "Get the children ready for school!"; "prepare for war"; "I was fixing to leave town after I paid the hotel bill"
 23.set - alter or regulate so as to achieve accuracy or conform to a standard; "Adjust the clock, please"; "correct the alignment of the front wheels"adjust, correctalter, change, modify - cause to change; make different; cause a transformation; "The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city"; "The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue"proportion - adjust in size relative to other thingsmodulate - adjust the pitch, tone, or volume oftemper - adjust the pitch (of pianos)tune, tune up - adjust the pitches of (musical instruments); "My piano needs to be tuned"calibrate, fine-tune, graduate - make fine adjustments or divide into marked intervals for optimal measuring; "calibrate an instrument"; "graduate a cylinder"tune, tune up - adjust for (better) functioning; "tune the engine"time - adjust so that a force is applied and an action occurs at the desired time; "The good player times his swing so as to hit the ball squarely"trim - adjust (sails on a ship) so that the wind is optimally usedzero, zero in - adjust (as by firing under test conditions) the zero of (a gun); "He zeroed in his rifle at 200 yards"zero - adjust (an instrument or device) to zero valuereadjust, reset - adjust again after an initial failureattune - adjust or accustom to; bring into harmony withtime - regulate or set the time of; "time the clock"set - set to a certain position or cause to operate correctly; "set clocks or instruments"regulate, modulate - fix or adjust the time, amount, degree, or rate of; "regulate the temperature"; "modulate the pitch"focalise, focalize, sharpen, focus - put (an image) into focus; "Please focus the image; we cannot enjoy the movie"sync, synchronize, synchronise - make synchronous and adjust in time or manner; "Let's synchronize our efforts"pressurise, pressurize - increase the pressure in or of; "The captain will pressurize the cabin for the passengers' comfort"depressurise, depressurize, decompress - decrease the pressure of; "depressurize the cabin in the air plane"match, fit - make correspond or harmonize; "Match my sweater"plumb - adjust with a plumb line so as to make verticalordinate, align, coordinate - bring (components or parts) into proper or desirable coordination correlation; "align the wheels of my car"; "ordinate similar parts"reconcile, harmonise, harmonize - bring into consonance or accord; "harmonize one's goals with one's abilities"linearise, linearize - make linear or get into a linear form; "a catalyst linearizes polyethylene"justify - adjust the spaces between words; "justify the margins"citify - accustom to urban ways; "Immigration will citify the country?"
 24.set - bear fruit; "the apple trees fructify"fructifyprocreate, reproduce, multiply - have offspring or produce more individuals of a given animal or plant; "The Bible tells people to procreate"
 25.set - arrange attractively; "dress my hair for the wedding"coiffe, coiffure, coif, arrange, do, dressbob - cut hair in the style of a bob; "Bernice bobs her hair these days!"wave - set waves in; "she asked the hairdresser to wave her hair"neaten, groom - care for one's external appearance; "He is always well-groomed"groom, curry, dress - give a neat appearance to; "groom the dogs"; "dress the horses"
Adj.1.set - (usually followed by `to' or `for') on the point of or strongly disposed; "in no fit state to continue"; "fit to drop"; "laughing fit to burst"; "she was fit to scream"; "primed for a fight"; "we are set to go at any time"primed, fitready - completely prepared or in condition for immediate action or use or progress; "get ready"; "she is ready to resign"; "the bridge is ready to collapse"; "I am ready to work"; "ready for action"; "ready for use"; "the soup will be ready in a minute"; "ready to learn to read"
 2.set - fixed and unmoving; "with eyes set in a fixed glassy stare"; "his bearded face already has a set hollow look"- Connor Cruise O'Brien; "a face rigid with pain"fixed, rigidnonmoving, unmoving - not in motion
 3.set - situated in a particular spot or position; "valuable centrally located urban land"; "strategically placed artillery"; "a house set on a hilltop"; "nicely situated on a quiet riverbank"located, placed, situatedsettled - established in a desired position or place; not moving about; "nomads...absorbed among the settled people"; "settled areas"; "I don't feel entirely settled here"; "the advent of settled civilization"
 4.set - set down according to a plan:"a carefully laid table with places set for four people"; "stones laid in a pattern"laidarranged, ordered - disposed or placed in a particular kind of order; "the carefully arranged chessmen"; "haphazardly arranged interlobular septa"; "comfortable chairs arranged around the fireplace"
 5.set - being below the horizon; "the moon is set"down - being or moving lower in position or less in some value; "lay face down"; "the moon is down"; "our team is down by a run"; "down by a pawn"; "the stock market is down today"
 6.set - determined or decided upon as by an authority; "date and place are already determined"; "the dictated terms of surrender"; "the time set for the launching"dictated, determinedsettled - established or decided beyond dispute or doubt; "with details of the wedding settled she could now sleep at night"
 7.set - converted to solid form (as concrete)hardenedhard - resisting weight or pressure
wn()Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

set1

verb1. put, place, lay, leave, park (informal), position, rest, plant, station, stick, deposit, locate, lodge, situate, plump, plonk He took the case out of her hand and set it on the floor.2. switch on, turn on, activate, programme I forgot to set my alarm and I overslept.3. adjust, regulate, coordinate, rectify, synchronize He set his watch, then waited for five minutes.4. embed, fix, mount, install, fasten a gate set in a high wall5. arrange, decide (upon), settle, name, establish, determine, fix, schedule, appoint, specify, allocate, designate, ordain, fix up, agree upon A date will be set for a future meeting.6. assign, give, allot, prescribe We will train you first before we set you a task.7. create, provide, establish, set up, institute Legal experts said that her case would not set a precedent.8. harden, stiffen, condense, solidify, cake, gel, thicken, crystallize, congeal, jell, coagulate, gelatinize Lower the heat and allow the omelet to set on the bottom.9. go down, sink, dip, decline, disappear, vanish, subside The sun sets at about 4pm in winter.10. prepare, lay, spread, arrange, make ready She had set the table and was drinking coffee at the hearth.11. impose, specify, lay down, decree, ordain the people who set the rules for the tournamentadjective1. established, fixed, specified, planned, decided, agreed, standard, regular, usual, arranged, rigid, definite, customary, inflexible, predetermined, unchanging, hard and fast, immovable, unvarying A set period of fasting is supposed to bring us closer to godliness.2. strict, firm, rigid, hardened, stubborn, entrenched, inflexible, ingrained, deep-seated, deep-rooted, hidebound They have very set ideas about how to get the message across. strict open, free, flexible, open-minded, undecided3. compulsory, required, assigned, recommended, impose, specified, prescribed, stipulated One of the set books is Jane Austen's 'Emma'.4. conventional, stock, standard, traditional, formal, routine, artificial, stereotyped, rehearsed, hackneyed, unspontaneous Use the subjunctive in some set phrases and idioms.5. located, sited, situated, found, perched The castle is set in 25 acres of beautiful land.noun1. scenery, setting, scene, stage setting, stage set, mise-en-scène (French) a movie set2. position, bearing, attitude, carriage, turn, fit, hang, posture the set of his shouldersbe set on or upon something be determined to, be intent on, be resolved to, be bent on, be insistent on, be resolute about She was set on going to an all-girls school.set about someone assault, attack, mug (informal), assail, sail into (informal), lambast(e), belabour Several thugs set about him with clubs.set about something begin, start, get down to, attack, tackle, set to, get to work, sail into (informal), take the first step, wade into, get cracking (informal), make a start on, roll up your sleeves, get weaving (informal), address yourself to, put your shoulder to the wheel (informal) He set about proving she was completely wrong.set forth embark, set off, start out, sally forth Christopher Columbus set forth on his epic journey of discovery.set off leave, set out, depart, embark, start out, sally forth I set off, full of optimism.set on or upon someone attack, beat up, assault, turn on, mug (informal), set about, ambush, go for, sic, pounce on, fly at, work over (slang), assail, sail into (informal), fall upon, lay into (informal), put the boot in (slang), pitch into (informal), let fly at We were set upon by three youths.set out1. embark, set off, start out, begin, get under way, hit the road (slang), take to the road, sally forth When setting out on a long walk, always wear suitable boots.2. determine, decide, purpose, resolve, make up your mind We set out to find the truth behind the story.set someone against someone alienate, oppose, divide, drive a wedge between, disunite, estrange, set at odds, make bad blood between, make mischief between, set at cross purposes, set by the ears (informal), sow dissension amongst The case has set neighbour against neighbour in the village.set someone back (with money or a specified sum of money as object) cost, knock back (Brit. informal) The frock is going to set you back thousands.set someone off upset, make angry, discompose The smallest thing sets him off.set something against something balance, compare, contrast, weigh, juxtapose, place side by side with a considerable sum when set against the maximum wageset something apart distinguish, separate, characterize, single out, individualize, make distinctive, mark as different What sets it apart from hundreds of similar French towns is the huge factory.set something aside1. reserve, keep, save, separate, select, single out, earmark, keep back, set apart, put on one side £130 million would be set aside for repairs to schools.2. ignore, disregard, shrug off, bury, cast aside, put to one side He urged them to set aside minor differences.3. reject, dismiss, reverse, cancel, overturn, discard, quash, overrule, repudiate, annul, nullify, abrogate, render null and void The decision was set aside because one of the judges had links with the defendant.set something back hold up, slow, delay, hold back, hinder, obstruct, retard, impede, slow up a risk of public protest that could set back reformsset something down1. specify, determine, fix, impose, prescribe, lay down, ordain, stipulate, codify It also sets down rules for the maintenance of equipment.2. write down, record, jot down, draft, pen, compose, draw up, put in writing, commit to paper, put down in black and white Old Walter is setting down his memories of village life.set something forth present, describe, explain, detail, advance, relate, define, illustrate, put forward, recount, expound He set forth the basis of his approach to teaching students.set something off1. detonate, trigger (off), explode, ignite, light, set in motion, touch off The school district did not set off the bomb - some students did.2. cause, start, produce, generate, prompt, trigger (off), provoke, bring about, give rise to, spark off, set in motion It set off a storm of speculation.3. enhance, show off, complement, throw into relief, bring out the highlights in Blue suits you - it sets off the colour of your hair.set something out1. arrange, present, display, lay out, exhibit, array, dispose, set forth, expose to view Set out the cakes attractively.2. explain, list, describe, detail, elaborate, recount, enumerate, elucidate, itemize, particularize He has written a letter setting out his views.set something up1. arrange, organize, prepare, make provision for, prearrange an organization that sets up meetings2. establish, begin, found, institute, install, initiate, get going, lay the foundations of He set up the company four years ago.3. build, raise, construct, put up, assemble, put together, erect, elevate The activists set up a peace camp at the border.4. assemble, put up, put together, fix up, rig up I set up the computer so that they could work from home.

set2

noun1. series, collection, assortment, kit, outfit, batch, compendium, assemblage, coordinated group, ensemble Only she and Mr Cohen had complete sets of keys to the shop.2. group, company, crowd, circle, class, band, crew (informal), gang, outfit, faction, sect, posse (informal), clique, coterie, schism the popular watering hole for the literary set3. television, TV, telly (Brit. informal), the box (Brit. informal), receiver, the tube (slang), TV set, small screen (informal), gogglebox (Brit. slang), idiot box (slang) We got our first black-and-white set in 1963.4. expression, look the steely determination in the set of her face5. scenery, backdrop, setting, flats, mise en scène (French), stage furniture He achieved fame for his stage sets for the Folies Bergères.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

RatDog wrote:

How do you even know existence has a beginning?

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Prove it.

Mr. XC
High Level DonorSpecial AgentWebsite AdminPlatinum Member
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Mr. XC wrote:

And where, pray tell, do the simple things come from?

Too difficult.  I should invent a god to explain it.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson

free_thinker
User is offlineOffline
Only 9038 words over the

Only 9038 words over the limit.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Haiku debate

No proof of causes of universes. Everything observable naturally caused.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
free_thinker wrote:"Not

free_thinker wrote:

"Not mechanical?"

Assumption.

The leading hypothesis is that quantum fluctuation caused it.

Oh? Then why wasn't creation sooner or later? Sounds fishy.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:You

mellestad wrote:

You are de-anthropomorphizing the known for no reason. Maybe fear?

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist wrote:How do

v4ultingbassist wrote:

How do you even know existence has a beginning?

Your computer exists. It didn't used to. Tada.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:Prove it.It's

RatDog wrote:

Prove it.

It's more reasonable to believe than not - even Hume agrees.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

The universe was created just for us? Oh really  now?

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

RatDog wrote:

Prove it.

It's more reasonable to believe than not - even Hume agrees.

Maybe in this universe.  

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Rephrase: How do you know reality has a beginning?

free_thinker
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Oh? Then why wasn't creation sooner or later? Sounds fishy.

That is when other laws of physics allowed for it.

kidvelvet
atheist
kidvelvet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can't do this in 10 words,

Can't do this in 10 words, sorry.

To believe god exists without cause means that something exists without cause (unless you believe god is nothing).

If something can exist without cause, why not the universe?  God is just a silly extra step.

Dolt:"Evolution is just a theory."
Me:"Yes, so is light and gravity. Pardon me while I flash this strobe while dropping a bowling ball on your head. This shouldn't bother you; after all, these are just theories."

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Your definition, 

Anselm's. The Bible's: I AM WHO AM.

A book of myths.

Quote:
all need first cause so does god.

Begins to exist.

no comprendo

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

It's easier as you have an out. God did it.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

It was only changed in state, the materials existed already.

kidvelvet
atheist
kidvelvet's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

And Aristotle, one of the forefathers of logic, believed in the "unmoved mover".  Doesn't mean it is so.

Evidence has come a long way since then.

Dolt:"Evolution is just a theory."
Me:"Yes, so is light and gravity. Pardon me while I flash this strobe while dropping a bowling ball on your head. This shouldn't bother you; after all, these are just theories."

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
kidvelvet

kidvelvet wrote:

And Aristotle, one of the forefathers of logic, believed in the "unmoved mover".  Doesn't mean it is so.

Evidence has come a long way since then.

Exactly

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

mellestad wrote:

You can do better than that.  Try Actually saying something.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

There must be a first cause, aka God.

Your turn.

Self-refuting.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Eloise wrote:

Hume's agreement based on 18CE empirical data, no longer relevant.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Infidelis
Superfan
Infidelis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Sapient wrote:

Sapient, all arguments for atheism are both ignorant and honest.

Looks like you got half of that right, my friend.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
quantum flux, no god

quantum flux, no god required.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist

v4ultingbassist wrote:

Rephrase: How do you know reality has a beginning?

Hilbert's Hotel. Actual infinite is silly.

P.S. This is fun.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
free_thinker wrote:That is

free_thinker wrote:

That is when other laws of physics allowed for it.

"Laws" doesn't explain: A. They were caused. B. We could've arisen anytime.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:no

no comprendo