American Style Fascism?

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Style Fascism?

American journalist and Pulitzer Prize winner Chris Hedges raises some timely questions.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
And... almost exactly 3

And... almost exactly 3 years ago, he addressed the religious right and creationism...

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:And... almost

Marquis wrote:

And... almost exactly 3 years ago, he addressed the religious right and creationism...

NOTICE: The man is a son of a presbyterian minister, graduated from Harward Divinity School and considers himself religious. If you are not convinced by this type of people that it's time to turn our anger and focus to our real enemies, I don't know what more can be done to demonstrate our own stupidity and short-sightedness.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Those were interesting

Those were interesting interviews. I read Hedges book "American Fascists" a few years ago.

The religious right has infiltrated not only the republican party, but the tea party movement as well. Today during the CPAC convention, one of the speeches was by a woman who warned that families not part of the traditional family (god fearing, heterosexual) would end up following movements in the mold of Hitler and Mao. What we view as fascism, they view as freedom, and vise versa.

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow... It's interesting to

Wow... It's interesting to hear my views spoken so eloquently... When I say these things it comes across as the rantings of a maniac...

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is all very

This is all very frightening. The longer I live in this country, the more I feel like I should move to Montreal.

I just put this guy's book on my amazon wish list. Thanks for sharing the vid.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote: American

Marquis wrote:

American journalist and Pulitzer Prize winner Chris Hedges raises some timely questions.

He suggests crippling the money flow and "opt out of the mainstream, breaking the back of the consumer economy [...] 70% of our economy, and building a popular movement to counter the corporate rape of America." (or words to that effect)

While his ultimate aims are admirable... they are nothing short of wanton hubris. It's basically starvation on a scale never before seen in developed nations waiting to happen. A quick look at an Economics 101 book reveals why, as does many great works on the subject of historical economic behavior.

The simpler and more effective solution, imo, is simply "Stop spending money you don't actually have (that in fact actually belongs to the banks and financiers)"

On the other hand, he does make quite a few salient points about neither parties being somewhat reliable in these unusually difficult times (if ever); neither Sarah Palin nor Obama have proven themselves trustworthy to their constituency, and now many Alaskans are complaining that 'She (Palin) has changed'... for the worst, I believe. I don't care to contemplate what Illinois residents think of Obama.

And finally... yes, America does behave like an unwieldy, crumbling empire about to fall on it's own sword... not unlike many great empires before it. The problem is, again IMO, that if America falls, many other developed countries will fall with it. The markets and flow of commercial activity with regards to residents of the USA is intensely linked to economic activity of other countries. Economic failure within America is a domino effect that essentially means economic failure for everyone else.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)