Science books - particularly evolution

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline

I am new to the ACTUAL study of evolution after spending decades in fundamentalism. Working on ed-u-macating myself on evolution. I bought and read Jerry Coyne's excellent book Why Evolution is True. I even recently bought the audio version and will listen to it after I get enough of Hitchen's God is not Great audio. I also bought Richard Dawkins book The Greatest Show on Earth. Poking around Amazon it recommended the quite expensive book by Jan Sapp, The Evolution of Biology, which I purchased and now have started to read. I know the former two authors are quite respected but don't see Jan Sapp quoted or referenced. I did the "Google SEARCH this site" option here and the name didn't pop up. What is the opinion here on this author?

Please recommend any other favored books on the subject of evolution. Is there a book review section in RRS that I have missed?

You could even use this topic like the favorite web thread (kudos to Marquis for starting) as the favorite science thread. Name three of your favorite all time books on science.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stephen Hawking - "A Brief

Stephen Hawking - "A Brief History Of Time"

James Gleick - "CHAOS"

Paul Davies - "About Time: Einstein's Unfinished Revolution"

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

atomicdogg34
atheist
atomicdogg34's picture
User is offlineOffline
the dawkins book and the

the dawkins book and the coyne book are fantastic starters

the back of the coyne book has a further reading list

bpwaddell
bpwaddell's picture
User is offlineOffline

R Dawkins , is great , I have read many of his books.. The Greatest.Show on Earth is perhaps the best in laying down
the specific evidence for Evolution.. I definitely like this one..

Hitchens' God is Not Great  is more to do with undermining both theism and the belief in the supernatural... rather than extolling the
virtues of  Evolution itself. but it is a fantastic read..

I also like this  book

Extinction: Evolution and the End of Man by Michael C. Boulter

It describes  evolution in action, indirectly through , continental drift, volcanism, the effect that the Eocence epoch had on speeding up the cycle
of extinction and replenishment from the surviving species.. It does concentrate on man.. but the point is made quite well in the book
about vulnerabilities of species..
Apparently man is not as immune to these forces as one would think...

Other books

It is also worth noting that other books not specifically designed to explain or confirm 
Darwins theory  are worth reading. They contain irrefutable evidence that
natural selection is going on, even though they don't set out to prove it !.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Ex-minister

For me the best of Dawkins is the Ancestor's Tale. It ignores religion and focuses on the path of evolution in reverse. It's a great way to get a feel for the topic, if a little dry at times.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
science books - evolution

Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters by Donald Prothero.  Dr. Prothero is a working paleontologist, the book has some great picture sequences of fossils that are only found in the basement of museums and university labs.  If I remember correctly, his specialty is hoofed mammals in the western hemisphere.

Science on Trial: The Case for Evolution by Douglas J. Futuyma.  Been awhile since I read it, but my recollection is that he manages to demolish every tired creationist argument.

Tower of Babel: The Evidence against the New Creationism by Robert T. Pennock.  Devastating if you are a young earth creationist.  Dr. Pennock's degree is history and the philosophy of science.  He was raised a Quaker.

Anything by Michael Shermer.   I found his books on why people believe the things they do to be particularly fascinating. 

Anything by Carl Sagan.  Especially The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark.  This gave rise to the saying around our house, "ah, it's the invisible dragon again".  You'll see when you read it.

And while there are a number of other scientists who do not agree with all of his theories, I like Stephen J. Gould's essay collections.  Short, written for the educated layman, and often with just a twist of laughter.

As you can probably tell, I prefer the "science lite" popularized versions.  I have enough problems trying to keep up with the IT world for my real career.  I just don't have the time to learn enough of all of the different disciplines involved to be able to read more specific tomes with anything approaching true comprehension.

And before you break the bank, you might consider interlibrary loan.  Most libraries allow you to get copies from other libraries either for free or a small fee if your local library does not have a copy.  And they will even mail it directly to the address you provide.  I like to read first and then buy if I find the book to be particularly re-readable.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Charles Darwin - The Origin

Charles Darwin - The Origin of Species

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for all the

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will never be without something good to read now.

So, I guess no one has heard of Jan Sapp, The Evolution of Biology or sees a need to comment. I am about a chapter in now and find it a good read. It is enriching my understand of the history of how evolution was discovered and a who's who of the key players.

Really am enjoyed this website.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
bpwaddell wrote:I also like

bpwaddell wrote:

I also like this  book

Extinction: Evolution and the End of Man by Michael C. Boulter

It describes  evolution in action, indirectly through , continental drift, volcanism, the effect that the Eocence epoch had on speeding up the cycle
of extinction and replenishment from the surviving species.. It does concentrate on man.. but the point is made quite well in the book
about vulnerabilities of species..
Apparently man is not as immune to these forces as one would think...

Amazon had it for $1.09 + 3.99 shipping for sale. Can't get it cheaper than that. Bought it. Thanks.

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
neptewn wrote:Charles Darwin

neptewn wrote:

Charles Darwin - The Origin of Species

Got it today in a bookstore. The book includes all of his works. When I read his quotes they seem hard to get into. Maybe the context will help.

Thanks.

Religion Kills !!!

liberatedatheist
atheistScience Freak
liberatedatheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The elegant universe -

The elegant universe - Brian Greene

Brief history of time - hawkings

The man who mistook his wife for a hat - oliver sacks

I Am My God

The absence of evidence IS evidence of absence