atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn. And to think that I

Damn. And to think that I was going to get Trijicon night sights. Well, they've lost my business.

"We believe that America is great when its people are good," says the Web site. "This goodness has been based on Biblical standards throughout our history, and we will strive to follow those morals."

Someone hasn't been reading the writings of Jefferson, Franklin and Paine. Way to go spitting the faces of our founding fathers.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, so what we have going on

OK, so what we have going on is some serial numbers on some stuff. According to the article, the company has been doing that for nearly 30 years. Now somebody finally realized it and put on his best “chicken little” act.

Quote:
"It's wrong, it violates the Constitution, it violates a number of federal laws," said Michael "Mikey" Weinstein of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, an advocacy group that seeks to preserve the separation of church and state in the military.

"It allows the Mujahedeen, the Taliban, al Qaeda and the insurrectionists and jihadists to claim they're being shot by Jesus rifles," he said.

Weinstein, an attorney and former Air Force officer, said many members of his group who currently serve in the military have complained about the markings on the sights. He also claims they've told him that commanders have referred to weapons with the sights as "spiritually transformed firearm[s] of Jesus Christ." He said coded biblical inscriptions play into the hands of "those who are calling this a Crusade."

"This is probably the best example of violation of the separation of church and state in this country," said Weinstein. "It's literally pushing fundamentalist Christianity at the point of a gun against the people that we're fighting. We're emboldening an enemy."

OK, there is just so much wrong in all of that. The most obvious one to me being the fact that the average guy that we are fighting simply does not learn the roman alphabet. They have about as much chance of realizing what those funny marking represent as all of the silly twats who get Chinese characters tattooed that probably really mean stuff like “I don't know Chinese” or “I am an arrogant American prick”.

Past that, he claims that "It's wrong, it violates the Constitution, it violates a number of federal laws,". OK, anybody can claim anything but is the claim actually true? Seriously, the guy claims to be an attorney. Can he tell us which laws have been broken? I am looking for specific citations here, not just some dillweed assertion that such problems exist.

Quite honestly, anybody can put anything into a series of numbers and no harm will be done to anyone. Really, anyone can spend two minutes on google and find dozens of places that 666 can be found. Does anybody raise a fuss over that?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

OK, so what we have going on is some serial numbers on some stuff. According to the article, the company has been doing that for nearly 30 years. Now somebody finally realized it and put on his best “chicken little” act.

Quote:
"It's wrong, it violates the Constitution, it violates a number of federal laws," said Michael "Mikey" Weinstein of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, an advocacy group that seeks to preserve the separation of church and state in the military.

"It allows the Mujahedeen, the Taliban, al Qaeda and the insurrectionists and jihadists to claim they're being shot by Jesus rifles," he said.

Weinstein, an attorney and former Air Force officer, said many members of his group who currently serve in the military have complained about the markings on the sights. He also claims they've told him that commanders have referred to weapons with the sights as "spiritually transformed firearm[s] of Jesus Christ." He said coded biblical inscriptions play into the hands of "those who are calling this a Crusade."

"This is probably the best example of violation of the separation of church and state in this country," said Weinstein. "It's literally pushing fundamentalist Christianity at the point of a gun against the people that we're fighting. We're emboldening an enemy."

OK, there is just so much wrong in all of that. The most obvious one to me being the fact that the average guy that we are fighting simply does not learn the roman alphabet. They have about as much chance of realizing what those funny marking represent as all of the silly twats who get Chinese characters tattooed that probably really mean stuff like “I don't know Chinese” or “I am an arrogant American prick”.

Past that, he claims that "It's wrong, it violates the Constitution, it violates a number of federal laws,". OK, anybody can claim anything but is the claim actually true? Seriously, the guy claims to be an attorney. Can he tell us which laws have been broken? I am looking for specific citations here, not just some dillweed assertion that such problems exist.

Quite honestly, anybody can put anything into a series of numbers and no harm will be done to anyone. Really, anyone can spend two minutes on google and find dozens of places that 666 can be found. Does anybody raise a fuss over that?

It's daft to think that US is fighting against ignorant peasants and that no one on the others side has a clue about those markings, and what they mean, all you need is a few of them to understand to convey the meaning to their soldiers, and well the media at large really. If it's not a crusade then they are not required really, and there is no need for them on the military arms being sent to the middle east where, lets admit, they are fighting against predominately muslim fighters. Of course this doesn't help the US cause, it maybe small and insignificant markings for you, but the reality is that's all you really need to make something worse than it already is, to hurt the whole image the US is trying to convey, that they are out to stop al-qaeda, and not on a holy crusade.

As for the exact laws being supposedly violated, I don't know.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Latin... thou art correct.

The seapoy rebellion of the 1840's was made of such as Latincanuck has stated.   Might I recomend a very old British movie called "King of the Khbyr rifles" for a better understanding of what Latin.. has said. 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

jjdynomite
jjdynomite's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://abcnews.go.com/video/p

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=9598128 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/01/19/2010-01-19_trijicon_company_contracted_by_marine_corps_inscribed_thousands_rifle_scopes_wit.html

Here's the vid from ABC news Nightline and a link to NY Daily News on the USMC reaction. I think a general boycott is in order for the Trijicon company.

Semper FI

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote: "We

Jormungander wrote:

"We believe that America is great when its people are good," says the Web site. "This goodness has been based on Biblical standards throughout our history, and we will strive to follow those morals."

Someone hasn't been reading the writings of Jefferson, Franklin and Paine. Way to go spitting the faces of our founding fathers.

Or reading their bibles apparently:

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, [28] bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. [29] If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also."

Funny how they didn't put that verse on the rifles.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:If someone strikes

EXC wrote:

If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also."

Violates "Dont ask, Dont Tell"

What Would Kharn Do?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:It's daft

latincanuck wrote:
It's daft to think that US is fighting against ignorant peasants

OK, just for the record, you are the one who said “ignorant peasants”. I was speaking of people raised in an educational system that simply does not teach the relevant skill set. Huge difference there dude.

But yah, go with that because you automatically win any argument when you intentionally construct a red herring.

You continue:

latincanuck wrote:
that no one on the others side has a clue about those markings, and what they mean, all you need is a few of them to understand to convey the meaning to their soldiers, and well the media at large really.

So after seven years, the fact that that has not happened already speaks volumes. “All you need is a few of them...” Yah you need a few of them who

1. have access to a sufficient number of captured rifles for the pattern to emerge,

2. know enough of the English language to understand serial numbers,

3. have sufficient curiosity to flip captured rifles over and copy down the serial numbers,

4. know enough about Christianity to realize the pattern when they stumble across it.

This in a country where you can be executed for being Christian. Yah, there are lots of those people running around and they are clearly disposed to risking their own murder at the hands of their countrymen for what actual gain?

Let me say this again, you are constructing a scenario that in your world view should have happened a long time ago. Since it did not come down, what would you have me conclude? I am leaning towards a defect in your reasoning on this one. But I will give you the chance to tell me why that is not the case.

Please note that I am not saying that what that company did was appropriate. That is a very different question and one that I have intentionally not addressed.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

latincanuck wrote:
It's daft to think that US is fighting against ignorant peasants

OK, just for the record, you are the one who said “ignorant peasants”. I was speaking of people raised in an educational system that simply does not teach the relevant skill set. Huge difference there dude.

But yah, go with that because you automatically win any argument when you intentionally construct a red herring.

You continue:

No it's how it came across, your statement to me made it seem that your implying that they are just simply ignorant people. That's it that's all, however the reality is that many of those fighting now come from other countries, and some of the higher ranks have college or university education from foreign countries such as the US, Britain or France. If that was not how you meant it then my apology.

Quote:

So after seven years, the fact that that has not happened already speaks volumes. “All you need is a few of them...” Yah you need a few of them who

1. have access to a sufficient number of captured rifles for the pattern to emerge,

2. know enough of the English language to understand serial numbers,

3. have sufficient curiosity to flip captured rifles over and copy down the serial numbers,

4. know enough about Christianity to realize the pattern when they stumble across it.

This in a country where you can be executed for being Christian. Yah, there are lots of those people running around and they are clearly disposed to risking their own murder at the hands of their countrymen for what actual gain?

Let me say this again, you are constructing a scenario that in your world view should have happened a long time ago. Since it did not come down, what would you have me conclude? I am leaning towards a defect in your reasoning on this one. But I will give you the chance to tell me why that is not the case.

Please note that I am not saying that what that company did was appropriate. That is a very different question and one that I have intentionally not addressed.

But I am not constructing a scenario, the media at large can cause far more trouble than the soldiers that may not understand or may not have made a connection to those markings. As you have now demonstrated with that article. Something like this can just add more fuel to the fire. I am not saying it should have happened a long time ago either, what I said was that we need someone to understand and convey that meaning, and now someone has, it just merely reinforces the enemies idea that the US is on a crusade against Muslims. Some Muslims leaders will take it that way and will justify their actions as such (although lets admit the truth they will use any reason to attack anyways), and all it takes is the media to report it. In the end, something like this, well lets admit the whole Bush era really made it seem like a crusade with the bible quotes in intelligence reports from Rumsfield to everything else they have done and their statements about doing gods will etc, etc, etc, this is just another bit of fuel to the fire.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:EXC

The Doomed Soul wrote:

EXC wrote:

Doomy, I've been wanting to do this for a while, but: I hereby bequeath you the internetz in perpetuity. They are now yours, these series of tubes. Remake them in you image.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:EXC

The Doomed Soul wrote:

EXC wrote:

LOL.

I think this one violates it as well:

"And the youth, looking upon him (Jesus), loved him and beseeched that he might remain with him. And going out of the tomb, they went into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days, Jesus instructed him and, at evening, the youth came to him wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God".

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Doomy,

nigelTheBold wrote:

Doomy, I've been wanting to do this for a while, but: I hereby bequeath you the internetz in perpetuity. They are now yours, these series of tubes. Remake them in you image.

In my own image?

Unstable

Ego-centric

Perverted

Excessively violent

Fill with useless information

Cold and Heartless

... dude, i think the internets already there... 

What Would Kharn Do?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is unacceptable for a

It is unacceptable for a government to accept religious inscriptions on anything government. The military and their weapons are no exception. If the company wants to sell said inscripted shit to the public then that's their prerogative. It is not their prerogative to wipe their asses with the constitution. They should be ordered to cease and desist immediately, or lose all the business the government provides them, and be thrown in jail for unconstitutional practice and treason.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

jjdynomite
jjdynomite's picture
User is offlineOffline
 At least the Pentagon

At least the Pentagon realized it's mistake. Trijicon is sending "removal kits" to the DoD.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2010/0122/Trijicon-sights-How-the-Jesus-gun-misfired

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
jjdynomite wrote:At least

jjdynomite wrote:

At least the Pentagon realized it's mistake. Trijicon is sending "removal kits" to the DoD.

Also known as a 'file.' I hope our military doesn't need to means to remove tiny etchings in metal handed to them. They should be able to figure this one out on their own.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander

Jormungander wrote:

jjdynomite wrote:

Also known as a 'file.' I hope our military doesn't need to means to remove tiny etchings in metal handed to them. They should be able to figure this one out on their own.

... i know theres a joke about "Military Intelligence" in there, some where...

What Would Kharn Do?