Is our children learning?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is our children learning?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Dems_protest_proposed_school_standards.html

The Texas Freedom Network, an Austin-based group that monitors the State Board of Education in support of religious and civil liberties, complained about "blatant politicization of social studies curriculum."

"When partisan politicians take a wrecking ball to the work of teachers and scholars, you get a document that looks more like a party platform than a social studies curriculum," said Kathy Miller, president of the group. "The video archive of this week's meeting would be a great primer for parents and lawmakers on how politics is undermining the education of Texas schoolchildren."

Miller's group, in particular, objected to the board:

• Approving an amendment suggesting that 1950s McCarthyism had been justified.

• Adopting a standard that specifically promotes the views of conservative icons, groups or concepts – included by name were Phyllis Schlafly, the Contract with America, the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority and the National Rifle Association -- while ignoring liberal politics and political figures.

• Removing a specific requirement that students learn about the efforts of women and ethnic minorities to gain equal rights, replacing it with vague language about "various groups."

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
What matters is that our

What matters is that our classrooms are not focused on practical things such as reading and science and math, but rather a Jerry Springer "cant we all just get along" fist fight about who is more politically correct, Snoop Dog is a real American vs Pat Robertson who knows what Jesus would want to teach our kids.

Fuck practical things like fractions, as long as we teach others who the alpha male is, our kids wont have to think about anything but what gang they belong to.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog