(insert witty remark about consoles not being fun)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
(insert witty remark about consoles not being fun)

(I'm all out of witty remarks, apparently)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
Posts: 628
Joined: 2008-02-29
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, have fun!

Welcome, have fun!


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Me. ummm, ok,

Kapkao wrote:

Me.

 

ummm, ok, hi i guess.  I think you get the prize for least informative introduction, but hello anyways...


RatDog
atheistSilver Member
Posts: 562
Joined: 2008-11-14
User is offlineOffline
I'm also me. . . . . .

I'm also me. . . . . .  Does that mean we are the same person? 


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 3435
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:I'm also me. .

RatDog wrote:

I'm also me. . . . . .  Does that mean we are the same person? 

you fuckin' asshole with your goddamn logic tricks...

"I asked my father,
I said, 'Father change my name.'
The one I'm using now it's covered up
with fear and filth and cowardice and shame."
--Leonard Cohen


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:RatDog

iwbiek wrote:

RatDog wrote:

I'm also me. . . . . .  Does that mean we are the same person? 

you fuckin' asshole with your goddamn logic tricks...

I like logic tricks!!!


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

 

ummm, ok, hi i guess.  I think you get the prize for least informative introduction, but hello anyways...

ROFL waffle...

Do you want the long version or the short version?

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:I'm also me. .

RatDog wrote:

I'm also me. . . . . .  Does that mean we are the same person? 

lolcat

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

RatDog wrote:

I'm also me. . . . . .  Does that mean we are the same person? 

you fuckin' asshole with your goddamn logic tricks...

I like logic tricks!!!

I like crazy people... because true genius is rarely rewarded within it's own lifetime, and those judged insane are, in fact, quite clever and lucid.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:I like crazy

Kapkao wrote:

I like crazy people... because true genius is rarely rewarded within it's own lifetime, and those judged insane are, in fact, quite clever and lucid.

 

I CLAIM HIM AS MY OWN!

 

What Would Kharn Do?


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao

Kapkao wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

 

ummm, ok, hi i guess.  I think you get the prize for least informative introduction, but hello anyways...

ROFL waffle...

Do you want the long version or the short version?

Tell ya what, how about the short version?

I'm like the serpent... only if it WERE ME, I would offer Adam a bite of the.... whatever-it-was fruit. I still wish it were me instead of the scaly thing in that wonderful story. I could've done the role better.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Kapkao

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

I like crazy people... because true genius is rarely rewarded within it's own lifetime, and those judged insane are, in fact, quite clever and lucid.

 

I CLAIM HIM AS MY OWN!

 

Who? Jack the Ripper?

I think you know where I put my faith now you've seen some of my thoughts.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


illicitizen
illicitizen's picture
Posts: 29
Joined: 2009-10-21
User is offlineOffline
 I have it on good

 I have it on good authority you are in fact, YOU.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
illicitizen wrote: I have

illicitizen wrote:

 I have it on good authority you are in fact, YOU.

Thoughtcrime! Heretick! That's +100 points! (if and when I could actually do so...)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Who? Jack the

Kapkao wrote:

Who? Jack the Ripper?

I think you know where I put my faith now you've seen some of my thoughts.

I hate this quote, because it is irrational. I INTENTIONALLY deprive myself of sleep (because of medicinal side-effects, primarily, and because of getting bored easily)

 

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Unrepentant_Elitist
Science Freak
Unrepentant_Elitist's picture
Posts: 105
Joined: 2009-07-15
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the site. I hope

Welcome to the site. I hope you find the forums contained herein to be as informative and thought-provoking as I have.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! To answer the

Welcome! Laughing out loud

To answer the mail you sent that I just noticed: Most of them. Eye-wink

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
hmph

Unrepentant_Elitist wrote:

Welcome to the site. I hope you find the forums contained herein to be as informative and thought-provoking as I have.

 

Thus far, informative... yes, thought-provoking... only from one of the two Site Founders. I also learned how rusty my social skills tend to get after being prescribed too much Prednisone. (in addition to a laundry list of physical and mental problems)   ...

 

In addition to that, I also discovered I should probably avoid the "Core Members" as if they were Black Death. JMHO...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Welcome! To

Vastet wrote:
Welcome! Laughing out loud To answer the mail you sent that I just noticed: Most of them. Eye-wink

 

Okay... time for a short quiz then. Okay... the button for quote tags is right around.... HUH. No quote tags button. What the hell... see if you can think of which games these quotes come from, without using google, preferrably.

 

Quote:

"No! I don't want to die!"
"Silence, dog. Your only purpose is to die by my hand."

...

"This Irenicus is surely a tool of the Gibbering Twelve!"

...

"I trust those who prey on children no farther than they can be thrown, even if I manage to throw them pretty far!"

...

"So... Sarevok. You've had an itty-bitty piece of my soul in there for quite a while now. What's it been like?"

"Well, other than a slight obsession with my weight and the resurgence of a few pimples, it's been simply grand."

 

Quote:

Reverse-tempo recording: "To win the game you must kill me, John Romero."

 

Quote:

"What I have seen is also beyond words Breen. Genocide, indescribable evil...Good God."

 

Quote:

"Your appointment with FEMA should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the Senator."

"I take it he was agreeable?"

"He didn't really have a choice."

"Has he been infected?"

"Oh yes. Most certainly. When I mentioned we could put him on the priority list for the Ambrosia vaccine, he was so willing it was almost pathetic."

"This plague... the rioting is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it."

"Why contain it? Let it spill over the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end they'll beg us to save them."

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
#1: Baldur's

#1: Baldur's Gate

#2: Doom

#3: Half Life

#4: Dues Ex

 

Though I must say a quote is not a good way to prove knowledge of gaming, merely a gaming storyline. Of those 4, I've only played the Doom series extensively. Should the day come when I can manipulate time and space, I'll be able to play every game ever made or to be made. Until then I have limited resources to work with, and have to be choosy. Sad

 

I have accounts at PS3T and PSN if you feel like taking a closer look at my collection/interests. I used to have an account at gamespot too(for consoles other than Sony), but they pissed me off and I stopped using their site. The account's still there, just hasn't been updated in a few years.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
you forgot a couple of

you forgot a couple of twos... hehe.

 

You don't want to play every game ever made... too many shite games out there. No seriously, you'll want to carve your eyes up with blunt objects (and even thenm the pain will appear mild compared to playing... shit games.)  These include hollywood-to-electronic game licensed works, and just about anything that has come from the front doors of EA Sports. "It (ISN'T) in the game"... meaining, they'll patch it in later if they feel like it.

Playstation.... hmmm. Playstation! I gave those machines up after playing ff7... and later discovering I could play it (and many other console games) on a desktop without wasting cash for another expensive machine. Hmmmmppphhhh  I don't even buy new video cards for years at a time.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao

Kapkao wrote:

Unrepentant_Elitist wrote:

Welcome to the site. I hope you find the forums contained herein to be as informative and thought-provoking as I have.

 

Thus far, informative... yes, thought-provoking... only from one of the two Site Founders. I also learned how rusty my social skills tend to get after being prescribed too much Prednisone. (in addition to a laundry list of physical and mental problems)   ...

 

In addition to that, I also discovered I should probably avoid the "Core Members" as if they were Black Death. JMHO...

That isn't 100% true... Brian37 certainly IS one of the smartest individuals I have ever met... offline, and online.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
stuff and nonsense

I hate lag...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
stuff and nonsense


RAAAAAAWWWWWWRRRRR!!!
Ok, after another night without sleep... I thought I might share that.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
"you forgot a couple of

"you forgot a couple of twos... hehe."

I didn't forget, I just didn't see the point. Sticking out tongue

"You don't want to play every game ever made... too many shite games out there."

Yeah, but I can't say they're shit until I've played them myself, so I'd still like to play them all.

"console games) on a desktopwithout wasting cash for another expensive machine. Hmmmmppphhhh  I don't even buy new video cards for years at a time."

True enough.... ten years ago. Today the PS3 is far superior to any PC for twice the price. PC's are too expensive. $500 for a PS3 with internal PC running on Linux should you choose to install it, internal wifi, Blu Ray drive, and the largest console library in history, with hundreds of games that have never been on PC; and a 10+ year lifespan makes the PC obsolete unless you're rich.

But if you're rich, you should have all three major consoles from this generation AND a top of the line gaming PC, and a powerful Mac as well.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"you forgot a

Vastet wrote:
"you forgot a couple of twos... hehe." I didn't forget, I just didn't see the point. Sticking out tongue "You don't want to play every game ever made... too many shite games out there." Yeah, but I can't say they're shit until I've played them myself, so I'd still like to play them all. "console games) on a desktopwithout wasting cash for another expensive machine. Hmmmmppphhhh  I don't even buy new video cards for years at a time." True enough.... ten years ago. Today the PS3 is far superior to any PC for twice the price. PC's are too expensive. $500 for a PS3 with internal PC running on Linux should you choose to install it, internal wifi, Blu Ray drive, and the largest console library in history, with hundreds of games that have never been on PC; and a 10+ year lifespan makes the PC obsolete unless you're rich. But if you're rich, you should have all three major consoles from this generation AND a top of the line gaming PC, and a powerful Mac as well.

"The name you used belongs to a registered user.".... GRRRRRRRR. So i guess I can't use "Kapkao" without having the right cookie to do so, first? Whatever....

I suppose I'm better at conning my relative.... WHY would I want to use a mac? ><

I liked using a classroom macintosh about... 16 years ago. Not so much now... I enjoy good hardware efficiency, COMPLETE ability to upgrade whatever I wish... 100% control over whatever is residing in memory, NOT so many shiny bells and whistles usually intended to con customers into BUYING said hardware, and the idea that I actually have A CHOICE over what the computer is made up of.

I liked the PSX when I could actually figure out what kind of game I was buying, if it was any good, and if it was from a genre I actually gave a damn about. Edit: and now they usually have a patch or two to be downloaded by the time somebody takes them home and puts them in the machine.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Vastet

Kapkao wrote:

Vastet wrote:
"you forgot a couple of twos... hehe." I didn't forget, I just didn't see the point. Sticking out tongue "You don't want to play every game ever made... too many shite games out there." Yeah, but I can't say they're shit until I've played them myself, so I'd still like to play them all. "console games) on a desktopwithout wasting cash for another expensive machine. Hmmmmppphhhh  I don't even buy new video cards for years at a time." True enough.... ten years ago. Today the PS3 is far superior to any PC for twice the price. PC's are too expensive. $500 for a PS3 with internal PC running on Linux should you choose to install it, internal wifi, Blu Ray drive, and the largest console library in history, with hundreds of games that have never been on PC; and a 10+ year lifespan makes the PC obsolete unless you're rich. But if you're rich, you should have all three major consoles from this generation AND a top of the line gaming PC, and a powerful Mac as well.

"The name you used belongs to a registered user.".... GRRRRRRRR. So i guess I can't use "Kapkao" without having the right cookie to do so, first? Whatever....

I suppose I'm better at conning my relative.... WHY would I want to use a mac? ><

I liked using a classroom macintosh about... 16 years ago. Not so much now... I enjoy good hardware efficiency, COMPLETE ability to upgrade whatever I wish... 100% control over whatever is residing in memory, NOT so many shiny bells and whistles usually intended to con customers into BUYING said hardware, and the idea that I actually have A CHOICE over what the computer is made up of.

I liked the PSX when I could actually figure out what kind of game I was buying, if it was any good, and if it was from a genre I actually gave a damn about. Edit: and now they usually have a patch or two to be downloaded by the time somebody takes them home and puts them in the machine.

in addition, I'm not terribly fond of 'multimedia monsters' that have very little ram, lots of "(e)home entertainment software" that doesn't do a DAMN for what my uses of it are; and probably has quite a bit of spyware/adware on it; bogged down by 'shiny (and worthless)  extras' (in terms of both software or hardware), bits of hardware that isn't worth a damn, etc.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:"The name you

Kapkao wrote:

"The name you used belongs to a registered user.".... GRRRRRRRR. So i guess I can't use "Kapkao" without having the right cookie to do so, first? Whatever....

Eh?

Kapkao wrote:

I suppose I'm better at conning my relative.... WHY would I want to use a mac? ><

Video software, generally. A must for a rich gamer. Sticking out tongue

Kapkao wrote:

I liked using a classroom macintosh about... 16 years ago. Not so much now... I enjoy good hardware efficiency, COMPLETE ability to upgrade whatever I wish...

You can never do that, and you've never been able to. Eventually your upgrades require a new motherboard. After that, you'll need a new power supply. And then a new case. Not to mention the HDD/RAM/Etc upgrades you need to make along the way. Long before that's done, you've got a new computer.

Kapkao wrote:
100% control over whatever is residing in memory, NOT so many shiny bells and whistles usually intended to con customers into BUYING said hardware, and the idea that I actually have A CHOICE over what the computer is made up of.

If it's cheaper than anything you can make by hundreds of dollars, you have no right to complain about the content within.

Kapkao wrote:

I liked the PSX when I could actually figure out what kind of game I was buying, if it was any good, and if it was from a genre I actually gave a damn about.

You can do that far better today with downloadable demo's on the PS3 than you could by having to rent before purchase on the PS1/2. Free and easy.

Kapkao wrote:

Edit: and now they usually have a patch or two to be downloaded by the time somebody takes them home and puts them in the machine.

That's hardly a bad thing. Quite the opposite actually, since PC software providers first dropped the ball on proper programming and debugging techniques more than a decade ago. It was only a matter of time before consoles had the power and connectivity to handle patches. Far better than buying a broken game and being stuck with it. At least now it will work once you've got the patch installed.

Kapkao wrote:
in addition, I'm not terribly fond of 'multimedia monsters' that have very little ram, lots of "(e)home entertainment software" that doesn't do a DAMN for what my uses of it are; and probably has quite a bit of spyware/adware on it; bogged down by 'shiny (and worthless)  extras' (in terms of both software or hardware), bits of hardware that isn't worth a damn, etc.

Just an argument against buying a system expecting it to act like a high performance PC, while it costs less than half as much as one yet has bells and whistles even a top of the line PC doesn't have.

Btw, no spyware/adware on PS3. It's permanently immune to that and all virus'. Yet another stroke in its favour.

So that's not an effective argument. $399 PS3 and Linux lets you do the vast majority of activities that computers are used for. If you need more than that, you should be picking up a full fledged $2000 computer anyway. 

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


2252kapkao2252 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
It is I, Kapkao, without the pesky rich-text editor.

"You can never do that, and you've never been able to. Eventually your upgrades require a new motherboard. After that, you'll need a new power supply. And then a new case. Not to mention the HDD/RAM/Etc upgrades you need to make along the way. Long before that's done, you've got a new computer."

HA! Lies, all of it.

From Xmas 2004, to Xmas 2006, I actually HAD control of what was in my computer tower... I simply didn't have the first clue of what sort of video card should go in it (trust me, the first two were UTTER crap... bad fill rate, lousy vertex processing, no shaders worth a DAMN, etc)

"If it's cheaper than anything you can make by hundreds of dollars, you have no right to complain about the content within."

I'm going to have to AGREE to DISAGREE on this... by several miles. I can buy a JAVA PHONE, of all things, it'lll be (waaay) "cheaper", and I'll "have no right to complain", and what have you... but will it get the job done, in a timely manner? Of course not.

"Video software, generally. A must for a rich gamer."

Nothing I can't do without FRAPS? Or the Prt Scr function and MSpaint, for that matter? Steve Jobs can MAYBE get my next paycheck... in  a few decades, if not longer.

"That's hardly a bad thing. Quite the opposite actually, since PC software providers first dropped the ball on proper programming and debugging techniques more than a decade ago. It was only a matter of time before consoles had the power and connectivity to handle patches. Far better than buying a broken game and being stuck with it. At least now it will work once you've got the patch installed."

There's an ounce of truth to this... however, sourceforge.net, browser-games (some of which DON'T actually suck), limewire... none of these things exist on consoles. And you AREN'T necessarily stuck to whatever you buy either; nor is the RIAA, MPAA, IDSA (or whatever the software developer's/publisher's trade group calls itself these days) necessarily empowered to plonk you in civil court, for whatever misdeeds (or supposed IP law violations) they have percieved you to commit.

They don't realize it, but these sort of trade groups accelerate/propel intellectual piracy with their actions and the LOFTY claim that they lose dozens of billions to said piracy each year. (It's utter bullshit, basically)

They lose EVEN MORE money to puruing legal actions against iTunes, as well. They simply prefer to keep their investors/bankers happy. Subject for a different forum, I guess...

"$399 PS3 and Linux lets you do the vast majority of activities that computers are used for."

Yes... if you're (general-you, not specific you) willing to pick up some programming skills(BLEH), masters in Computer Science (BLEH), readiness to use open-source knowledge (BLEH), install crap that you don't have the first clue how to use, etc.

I'll stick to being one of Steve Ballmer's loyal worshippers...

 


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
uhhhhhhh........... "your message has been queued for blablabla"

"You can never do that, and you've never been able to. Eventually your upgrades require a new motherboard. After that, you'll need a new power supply. And then a new case. Not to mention the HDD/RAM/Etc upgrades you need to make along the way. Long before that's done, you've got a new computer."

HA! Lies, all of it.

From Xmas 2004, to Xmas 2006, I actually HAD control of what was in my computer tower... I simply didn't have the first clue of what sort of video card should go in it (trust me, the first two were UTTER crap... bad fill rate, lousy vertex processing, no shaders worth a DAMN, etc)

"If it's cheaper than anything you can make by hundreds of dollars, you have no right to complain about the content within."

I'm going to have to AGREE to DISAGREE on this... by several miles. I can buy a JAVA PHONE, of all things, it'lll be (waaay) "cheaper", and I'll "have no right to complain", and what have you... but will it get the job done, in a timely manner? Of course not.

"Video software, generally. A must for a rich gamer."

Nothing I can't do without FRAPS? Or the Prt Scr function and MSpaint, for that matter? Steve Jobs can MAYBE get my next paycheck... in  a few decades, if not longer.

"That's hardly a bad thing. Quite the opposite actually, since PC software providers first dropped the ball on proper programming and debugging techniques more than a decade ago. It was only a matter of time before consoles had the power and connectivity to handle patches. Far better than buying a broken game and being stuck with it. At least now it will work once you've got the patch installed."

There's an ounce of truth to this... however, sourceforge.net, browser-games (some of which DON'T actually suck), limewire... none of these things exist on consoles. And you AREN'T necessarily stuck to whatever you buy either; nor is the RIAA, MPAA, IDSA (or whatever the software developer's/publisher's trade group calls itself these days) necessarily empowered to plonk you in civil court, for whatever misdeeds (or supposed IP law violations) they have percieved you to commit.

They don't realize it, but these sort of trade groups accelerate/propel intellectual piracy with their actions and the LOFTY claim that they lose dozens of billions to said piracy each year. (It's utter bullshit, basically)

They lose EVEN MORE money to puruing legal actions against iTunes, as well. They simply prefer to keep their investors/bankers happy. Subject for a different forum, I guess...

"$399 PS3 and Linux lets you do the vast majority of activities that computers are used for."

Yes... if you're (general-you, not specific you) willing to pick up some programming skills(BLEH), masters in Computer Science (BLEH), readiness to use open-source knowledge (BLEH), install crap that you don't have the first clue how to use, etc.

I'll stick to being one of Steve Ballmer's loyal worshippers...

 

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
speaking of steve ballmer

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
"From Xmas 2004, to Xmas

"From Xmas 2004, to Xmas 2006, I actually HAD control of what was in my computer tower... I simply didn't have the first clue of what sort of video card should go in it (trust me, the first two were UTTER crap... bad fill rate, lousy vertex processing, no shaders worth a DAMN, etc)"

1/5th of any Sony console lifetime = irrelevant. Go with a ten year period and see how much extra $ you have to sink into your PC to keep it capable of simple web surfing, let alone everything a PC is used for. Not to mention you'll have gone through four seperate operating systems and dozens of smaller software upgrades.

"I'm going to have to AGREE to DISAGREE on this... by several miles. I can buy a JAVA PHONE, of all things, it'lll be (waaay) "cheaper", and I'll "have no right to complain", and what have you... but will it get the job done, in a timely manner? Of course not."

Yeah, cause a cell phone can run Linux, has a Blu Ray player, a browser, media storage in excess of 80gb, USB ports... oh wait. Wow it even costs more.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
"Nothing I can't do without

"Nothing I can't do without FRAPS? Or the Prt Scr function and MSpaint, for that matter? Steve Jobs can MAYBE get my next paycheck... in  a few decades, if not longer."

Mac vid software is the best. Period. If you want less than the best, power to you.

"There's an ounce of truth to this... however, sourceforge.net, browser-games (some of which DON'T actually suck), limewire... none of these things exist on consoles."

PS3 can do all that. So you're just wrong.

"And you AREN'T necessarily stuck to whatever you buyeither; nor is the RIAA, MPAA, IDSA (or whatever the software developer's/publisher's trade group calls itself these days) necessarily empowered to plonk you in civil court, for whatever misdeeds (or supposed IP law violations) they have percievedyou to commit."

No difference between console and PC.

And finally, you hardly need a Masters degree to use Linux.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"From Xmas

Vastet wrote:
"From Xmas 2004, to Xmas 2006, I actually HAD control of what was in my computer tower... I simply didn't have the first clue of what sort of video card should go in it (trust me, the first two were UTTER crap... bad fill rate, lousy vertex processing, no shaders worth a DAMN, etc)" 1/5th of any Sony console lifetime = irrelevant. Go with a ten year period and see how much extra $ you have to sink into your PC to keep it capable of simple web surfing, let alone everything a PC is used for.

Well, with USD$400 and you can design a moderate-to-low end machine capable of playing somewhat recent games on the machine, and also future games on (greatly) reduced settings, as well as some (if not ALL) of the shiny multimedia crap PCs are used for. Efficiently doing these things, on the other hand, is another question.

Also, a Java phone is a computer, not just a telecommunications tool. In fact, just about ANY telephone made in the last 20 or so years has components of it that are essentially... digitized. You know, ones and zeroes... the little things.

 

Quote:
Not to mention you'll have gone through four seperate operating systems and dozens of smaller software upgrades. "I'm going to have to AGREE to DISAGREE on this... by several miles. I can buy a JAVA PHONE, of all things, it'lll be (waaay) "cheaper", and I'll "have no right to complain", and what have you... but will it get the job done, in a timely manner? Of course not." Yeah, cause a cell phone can run Linux, has a Blu Ray player, a browser, media storage in excess of 80gb, USB ports... oh wait. Wow it even costs more.

Nah, THREE years if you upgrade nonstop. Two if you wait five years between upgrades, like what I usually do. I don't work in an office-like eviron, so I have the luxury of upgrading VERY infrequently.

And sometimes, you have to ignore the tedious software upgrades, period. Unless they're security related...

edit: I think it's obvious you've been using "the computer for the rest of us" and consoles for FAR too long, just like I haven't used a mac or a PSX in quite a long-ass while.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"Nothing I

Vastet wrote:
"Nothing I can't do without FRAPS? Or the Prt Scr function and MSpaint, for that matter? Steve Jobs can MAYBE get my next paycheck... in  a few decades, if not longer." Mac vid software is the best. Period. If you want less than the best, power to you.

I have NOTHING worth recording, period. I was simply commenting on the software I've seen others name in the credits of their youtube gaming-vids. 

Quote:
"There's an ounce of truth to this... however, sourceforge.net, browser-games I (some of which DON'T actually suck), limewire... none of these things exist on consoles." PS3 can do all that. So you're just wrong. "And you AREN'T necessarily stuck to whatever you buyeither; nor is the RIAA, MPAA, IDSA (or whatever the software developer's/publisher's trade group calls itself these days) necessarily empowered to plonk you in civil court, for whatever misdeeds (or supposed IP law violations) they have percievedyou to commit." No difference between console and PC.

I can play... Spore, Sims 3, games downloaded from impulse, browser games, sourceforge games, open source free games, etc... on the PS3? Yeah with Linux... why would I WANT to, however?

Quote:
No difference between console and PC.

Without a mod-chip, an open-source OS, or some other ridiculous hack, ... I beg to differ.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
while I'm on the subject

Virtually NO Sand box game, or in-depth, open-ended RPG or Strategy game can be played on a console... unless it's become HUGELY popular on a computer of some sort, first.

Practically no FULL (or 100% feature filled) console ports of spore, Sims 3, Baldur's gate, Sim City, TES4:Oblivion, Supreme Commander, Starcraft, World of Warcraft, Sins of a Solar Empire, Galactic Civilizations, et cetera... you can play (most of?) them on a Mac, however.

And like I said, console games can get emulated on computers (pcs as well as macs)... you simply have to wait for the exe's to become patched up and refined to the point that you can play on a computer (either by purchasing the discs or pirating them).

So I'm going with "No difference between console and PC." being pattently false, atm. PC and Mac on the other hand... not so much. (Especially with Microsoft's OSes being compatible with Macs nowadays) I just enjoy having the option to upgrade from a POS to a high-octane performance monster.

I finally found someone who encouraged me to put on my thinking cap, though, and I thank you for that.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
*BUMP* 

*BUMP*

 

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


joetraff
Posts: 2
Joined: 2010-06-26
User is offlineOffline
I liked the video.Thanks for

I liked the video.

Thanks for sharing.

 


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
I noticed some douchebag

I noticed some douchebag managed to get my "Adventures of Mark Twain" video deleted (so be it, there are a ton more like that one.)

I wonder if said douchebag posts at RRS...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
"Well, with USD$400" More

"Well, with USD$400"

More expensive than any console, with less capability than the PS3 by far.

"Efficientlydoing these things, on the other hand, is another question."

You mean playing without lag and crashes, not playing efficiently.

"Also, a Java phone isa computer"

So's an abbacus. That doesn't mean it's useful as a computer or a gaming console. Because it isn't you know.

"Nah, THREE years if you upgrade nonstop. Two if you wait five years between upgrades, like what I usually do. I don't work in an office-like eviron, so I have the luxury of upgrading VERY infrequently."

3.33333x more often than myself. Thanks for proving my point.

"I can play... Spore, Sims 3, games downloaded from impulse, browser games, sourceforge games, open source free games, etc... on the PS3?"

Any PS3 or Linux compatible application, including browser games.

"Without a mod-chip, an open-source OS, or some other ridiculous hack, ... I beg todiffer."

And I laugh at your ignorance.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"Well, with

Vastet wrote:
"Well, with USD$400" More expensive than any console, with less capability than the PS3 by far. "Efficientlydoing these things, on the other hand, is another question." You mean playing without lag and crashes, not playing efficiently. "Also, a Java phone isa computer" So's an abbacus. That doesn't mean it's useful as a computer or a gaming console. Because it isn't you know. "Nah, THREE years if you upgrade nonstop. Two if you wait five years between upgrades, like what I usually do. I don't work in an office-like eviron, so I have the luxury of upgrading VERY infrequently." 3.33333x more often than myself. Thanks for proving my point. "I can play... Spore, Sims 3, games downloaded from impulse, browser games, sourceforge games, open source free games, etc... on the PS3?" Any PS3 or Linux compatible application, including browser games. "Without a mod-chip, an open-source OS, or some other ridiculous hack, ... I beg todiffer." And I laugh at your ignorance.

Was there a point to any of that except to not argue your POV (as usual; like with Iwbiek) and posting a bit of flung monkey dung? While you're busy thinking up an undoubtedly deflective, inflammatory, and generally content-free response to that, could you also tell me why am I supposed to give a shit about your highly unoriginal and ineffective attempts to provoke me?

 

I'm coming up short on reasons to care from this side of the wire, personally...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Well, with

Kapkao wrote:
Well, with USD$400 and you can design a moderate-to-low end machine capable of playing somewhat recent games on the machine, and also future games on (greatly) reduced settings, as well as some (if not ALL) of the shiny multimedia crap PCs are used for. Efficiently doing these things, on the other hand, is another question.

 

OK, I am reasonably sure that you just compared a POS Dell for granny to get digital pics of the family emailed to a fully functional gaming platform.

 

Bullshit!

 

While I am personally not a console guy, I know my hardware inside and out. Consoles are made to be pretty much a snapshot of what the industry can manage at a given moment. Because of the huge volume of distribution in the first couple of months after release, they get to benefit from a gigantic economy of scale. In fact, they can shave prices even tighter than can Michael Dell.

 

That is the reason why consoles seem to be cheap. In fact, the only hardware that tends to be overpriced in them is stuff like the HD and DVD drives as they are often last year's models. Honestly, Sony doesn't care all that much if Samsung is overcharging them by like $50 of a 200GB drive. For the most part, that is fully invisible to consumers as they are also benefiting from the great deal on the “real hardware” that would cost quite a bit more if put into individual computers.

 

Kapkao wrote:
Also, a Java phone is a computer, not just a telecommunications tool. In fact, just about ANY telephone made in the last 20 or so years has components of it that are essentially... digitized. You know, ones and zeroes... the little things.

 

So is your car dude. Can your car run Bioshock?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

 

Kapkao wrote:
Well, with USD$400 and you can design a moderate-to-low end machine capable of playing somewhat recent games on the machine, and also future games on (greatly) reduced settings, as well as some (if not ALL) of the shiny multimedia crap PCs are used for. Efficiently doing these things, on the other hand, is another question.

 

OK, I am reasonably sure that you just compared a POS Dell for granny to get digital pics of the family emailed to a fully functional gaming platform.

 

Bullshit!

 

While I am personally not a console guy, I know my hardware inside and out. Consoles are made to be pretty much a snapshot of what the industry can manage at a given moment. Because of the huge volume of distribution in the first couple of months after release, they get to benefit from a gigantic economy of scale. In fact, they can shave prices even tighter than can Michael Dell.

 

That is the reason why consoles seem to be cheap. In fact, the only hardware that tends to be overpriced in them is stuff like the HD and DVD drives as they are often last year's models. Honestly, Sony doesn't care all that much if Samsung is overcharging them by like $50 of a 200GB drive. For the most part, that is fully invisible to consumers as they are also benefiting from the great deal on the “real hardware” that would cost quite a bit more if put into individual computers.

bullshit wrote:

Generic case, Corsair 450w PSU: $135

AMD athlon x2 6000+ 3.1ghz:      $77

(Mobo):                                         $49

2GB memory:                                $33

DVD Drive:                                    $32

7200 RPM HDD:                            $40

Sound: (onboard)

GeForce 8800 GT:                        $88

=

 

 

Quote:
Kapkao wrote:
Also, a Java phone is a computer, not just a telecommunications tool. In fact, just about ANY telephone made in the last 20 or so years has components of it that are essentially... digitized. You know, ones and zeroes... the little things.

 

So is your car dude. Can your car run Bioshock?

 I dunno. Was that a serious statement of fact or a at Vastet's black & white understanding of the world around him? (as well as a general mockery of his thrifty "If it's cheaper than anything you can make by hundreds of dollars..." )

To me, tv consoles are a "Poor man's gaming platform". The games made for them often reflect this general demographic.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Dude, are you that clueless?

Dude, are you that clueless?

 

Everything made in the past ten or fifteen years has a processor and memory in it somewhere. Your refrigerator, your washing machine and your television are all every bit as much computers as is your cell phone.

 

The difference? Your cell phone can probably handle running sudoku. None of your other major items can do even that much.

 

As far as your ability to build a granny box, yah, did you look up specs on THG or somewhere similar? You do know that you can do much better than that.

 

First, do not buy a case and power supply bundled like that. That is mostly a way for manufacturers to dump inventory that never sold originally. If you split it to two items, then you have that many more options. You can buy a $25 case if you want to. You can buy a $100 power supply. You will have spent less money that way and ended up with superior technical specs.

 

Sort of. The case will stink at keeping your system cool. But since you did not specify fans, that is just more in favor of you building a crappy computer.

 

What about your processor? Yah, that sucks too. If you really want to spend money like that, then get the 3.2ghz one that comes with free COD MW2. You will need a blu-ray drive to use it but then if you seek to compare against modern hardware, why would you not get that? Is it perhaps because you did not realize that a PS3 has one?

 

Of course, if you get that proc, then your choice of mobos sucks shit too. That proc can easily clock to 2.8 w/o breaking a sweat. Get a better mobo and a decent heat sink and you should have no problem breaking 3.0 or possibly getting to 3.2. And that is just on air cooling. Once again, you need to specify case fans or your rig will heat up like a damned toaster.

 

Also, why are you putting an 8800 on an AMD proc? Do you even have a clue what is wrong with that?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
Also, why are you putting an 8800 on an AMD proc? Do you even have a clue what is wrong with that?

I don't know, do you have problems with reading comprehension? Evidence points to yes.

As for the 'shopping list' I posted, I copied it entirely from the September 2009 copy of PC Gamer. I posted it mainly to disprove some of the raunchy BS vastet posted earlier in this thread.

So quit yer bitchin'.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:   Answers in

Kapkao wrote:

 

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
Also, why are you putting an 8800 on an AMD proc? Do you even have a clue what is wrong with that?

 

I don't know, do you have problems with reading comprehension? Evidence points to yes.

 

 

Uh, Kap, if you are going to do that, try actually reading what I wrote and not skipping key words to support your flawed understanding of stuff.

 

This is pretty much what everyone around here means when they talk about a straw man argument. Pretty much you have nothing viable to say, so you just change around in your own head what someone else said until it is a different proposition entirely. Then you attempt to refute the version that is in your head.

 

Rather unsuccessfully I might ad as you even quoted the second half of that question and failed to address that point.

 

Kapkao wrote:
As for the 'shopping list' I posted, I copied it entirely from the September 2009 copy of PC Gamer.

 

Yah, I figured that you got it from somewhere. Somewhere that does really poor work I would have to add, even if I had not known that you got it from a magazine as lame as PC Gamer. Seriously, nobody who is real about playing games would use that hardware spec and nobody who is serious considers that magazine to be anything other than a joke. A very poor joke.

 

Kapkao wrote:
I posted it mainly to disprove some of the raunchy BS vastet posted earlier in this thread.

 

First off, let me observe that I am a PC guy and Vastet is a console guy. OK that is pretty obvious but for general clarity, I wanted to get that out again.

 

Anyway, you will not see him and I arguing the finer points of computer vs. console. Really, they are different enough that that would be a rather pointless war to get involved with. I don't quite see the value in what he likes and the opposite is equally true.

 

Sure, if I start on a brand new computer, it will cost me twice as much as he will pay for a console. However, I **can** upgrade my stuff a little bit at a time until there is a major jump in the technology. If I need to get one new part, I can do so for relatively little cash at that moment. I stay as current with hardware as I feel like.

 

Vastet sees little point in chasing that particular dragon. That does not make him wrong. However, it does make him stuck at one point for hardware until which ever gigantic corporation decides to let him have all new stuff at once.

 

He has picked his poison and I have picked mine. End of the process is that we both have our fun.

 

You seem to be stuck on the idea that you can pick a hardware list from a nine month old magazine (BTW PC gamer is a joke in the industry) and expect it to actually be good. Well yah, it is good enough to play the sims. I am happy for you.

 

Now, good luck actually buying an 8800. They were old stock nine months ago and getting hard to fine even back then. Today, you might find some vendor on google who still has them but you will have a much easier time finding one on ebay. Don't pay more than $20 for one and insist on free shipping.

 

Even so, you should not put an 8800 in a system with an AMD CPU. They have never been fully compatible. If you want an AMD CPU, you should get some card in the Radeon product line. Also, if you want to build a PC, the price that you should pay for a graphics card is $150~$200. That card can probably take anything that you can install in your computer.

 

There are graphics cards in the $300~$500 price range but those are strictly for assholes who think that they get e-penis points for spending $4,000 on an alienware piece of shit. They don't make you a better game player any more than buying a more expensive car will make you a better driver.

 

As far as the rest of your list goes, that is also fairly deficient.

 

First, real nerds never buy a case and power supply combo. Those are the power supplies that never really sold well and they bundle them together to move stock that would otherwise end up in a landfill.

 

I have had my current case since 2001. It is on it's fourth power supply and they have all been better than the bundled crap.

 

For you, I would suggest the Rosewill FB-01 case. It is a mid tower with an 80mm fan included but I would replace that in the initial purchase as it is probably not very good. Good fans are cheap enough and you can get a second 80mm fan for the front plus a 120mm fan for the side.

 

You will also want a Fortron Blue 500 watt power supply. That is one of the better brands out there and it is more solidly built than the Antec in your list. It also provides a bit more total power with the +12 volts split between two rails.

 

You can get both of those for less than your case/PSU combo would cost.

 

For the CPU, you can spend the same amount of money on a 3.2 AMD proc which comes with a free copy of COD:MW2. If you try playing that game on an 8800, you will spend all your time dying. You will die in the first few seconds after you get in and you will die every few seconds after that.

 

Generic memory for $30 and a crappy mobo for $50? Dude, for 50, you can get memory that is worth having and if you put it on a $120 mobo with a $50 aftermarket CPU cooler, then you can get that 3.2 to clock at higher than the current fastest AMD proc which would cost north of $200. With any skill at all, you should even beat the best that Intel procs are selling for at north of $300.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Sheeeeeeshhh.

I can assure that I won't become 'unstuck' on the idea that computer games (primarily those made exclusively for Windows) are a great deal more involving and mentally stimulating than those made for console. *That* is why I posted all of my pc-biased comments in this thread; no other reason, and certainly not to discuss what hardware should be bought and put in a machine.

(that last part is particularly vital for you - you can't seem to wrap your head around that basic concept)

Quote:
This is pretty much what everyone around here means when they talk about a straw man argument. Pretty much you have nothing viable to say,

Oh, you mean like with your previous 3 posts in this thread? You, yourself fail to realize I was never interested in your (uniquely blind and egocentric) opinion on hardware decisions to begin with. I would say why I'm not interested, but that would probably distract you from my main point in this now-defunct conversation.

Quote:
failed to address that point.

Bully for you for posting irrelevant bs in my intro thread. You can bet I'm not going to give a rat's ass no matter how much you flail arms, grind teeth, shout, scream, and cry foul about it!

Quote:
(insert a shitload of irrelevant bitching, moaning, groaning, and sniveling about someone not making 100% efficient hardware shopping decisions)

Yeah, see.. the near sum of your posting content in this thread has been like with the above quote box. You probably know ALL of what you're talking about, are well-versed in the ins and outs of computer building (doubly so, considering that you've posted quite a bit at overclockers.com), and have at least been succinct and to the point in your first two posts in this thread.

But I still won't give a flying foofoo, because *NONE* of what you posted here was relevant to my conversation with Vastet. That would obviously be where your ability to comprehend what(ever) you're reading in my replies falls flat on it's nose! 

 

Tell ya what... next time I have a wad of cash lying around, you'll be the first one I'll consult with regarding what I should put in my machine and what I shouldn't. Until then, you should see about getting a Xanex Rx and try taking it easy about what ever I happen to be saying regarding games/hardware in one of the relevant threads, and save yourself the aggravation!

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)