What is your Firefox like?

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is your Firefox like?

What Firefox addons do you use that make your browser better than everyone else's browser?

I don't use many but the one's I use are invaluable. Without NoScript and Adblock Plus I'd probably be tempted to give up the internet altogether and find a real life.

Aside from security things here's a short list of some of my favorites:

Ubiquity, I highly recommend this if you're not using it already. This is great for creating "mashups" or in other words application that combine data or functionality from two or more external sources to create a new service.

Quote:
Ubiquity is a time-saving Firefox extension that simplifies common web activities by letting you give commands to Firefox. Ubiquity includes about 80 commands for speeding up common web activities (searching, translating, mapping, emailing, etc.), but also provides an API so you can write your own commands using Javascript. You can also share the commands you write, and subscribe to commands shared by other users.

Greasemonkey is great for many reasons, one of which is that if you don't know how to write scripts you can still get a lot of use out of it. There are thousands of free scripts available. For adding functionality to web pages the usefulness of this tool is nearly without measure.
Quote:
Greasemonkey is a Mozilla Firefox add-on that allows users to install scripts that make on-the-fly changes to HTML web page content on the DOMContentLoaded event, which happens immediately after it is loaded in the browser (also known as augmented browsing). As Greasemonkey scripts are persistent, the changes made to the web pages are executed every time the page is opened, making them effectively permanent for the user running the script. Greasemonkey can be used for adding new functions to web pages (for example, embedding price comparison in Amazon.com web pages), fixing rendering bugs, combining data from multiple webpages, and numerous other purposes.

Chickenfoot is even better because it provides an interactive shell for manipulating the page. This was created by the MIT user interface group. The aim of this project is to provide users with a tool for creating macros that anyone can use or write, without programmer's assistance.
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/uid/
Quote:
Chickenfoot is a Firefox extension that puts a programming environment in the browser's sidebar so you can write scripts to manipulate web pages and automate web browsing.

I also use an addon called 'Blank Your Monitor' that turns everything black. It's not that useful but it's pretty cool, here's a screenshot:

So, what is your Firefox like? Dazzle me with your brilliant browser.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

I use Chrome.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: I use

ClockCat wrote:

I use Chrome.

It's like I invited you to my house for tea and you came over, pulled your pants down, and took a shit right on my living room floor.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

I use Chrome.

It's like I invited you to my house for tea and you came over, pulled your pants down, and took a shit right on my living room floor.

Hi. How are you today?

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pretty good considering that

Pretty good considering that I just found out about super-AIDS.

How is it with you friend?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:

Pretty good considering that I just found out about super-AIDS.

How is it with you friend?

Oh great! A friend of mine bought the shake weight. I was watching him use it.

Workout equipment is getting so fabulous lately.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whatever those guys are

Whatever those guys are practicing for, it looks like it's going to make some other guys very happy. 

But as the Buddha said:

Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to yourself and others.

H.P. Lovecraft

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
I use Firefox on my

I use Firefox on my computer. I have a mac ~ Firefox can be a bit buggy when I don't update frequently. My husband swears by Safari for his mac...

As for add-ons for Firefox, the only one I really use is StumbleUpon ~ I don't even know if that is exclusive to Firefox as I am not that computer savvy.

I had a friend die of AIDS back in August, not a pretty thing to watch.

That exercise equipment is oddly...erotic...

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never tried Firefox on a

I never tried Firefox on a Mac. Safari is a good browser in my opinion because of ease of use, especially if you're already accustomed to using a Mac, and it comes with the Top Sites feature par default. I use an addon called Speed Dial to simulate the Top Sites feature in Firefox. It's not as pretty but it has more customizing options.

Quote:
Speed Dial allows fast access to your most visited websites. It loads in a tab, and will show thumbnail views of its assigned websites. Those thumbnails will be refreshed automatically in the background.

http://speeddial.uworks.net/

and yes AIDS is a concern for everybody.

H.P. Lovecraft

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adblock plus. It is the

Adblock plus. It is the single greatest browser upgrade in existance. The internet is blessedly free of advertisements with it. I can't recommend it enough.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
... i use Internet

... i use Internet Explorer... exclusively...

... cause im hardcore like that!

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let's have a roundtable

Let's have a roundtable discussion with everyone who uses IE.

Go bang rocks together caveman. Then after you invent the wheel and everything else in human history watch this video:

H.P. Lovecraft

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:Let's have a

Gauche wrote:

Let's have a roundtable discussion with everyone who uses IE.

Go bang rocks together caveman. Then after you invent the wheel and everything else in human history watch this video:

... so easy... even a Doomy could use it...

What Would Kharn Do?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Currently going between

Currently going between firefox, chrome and safari. Just trying to see which one I prefer because lately firefox (last year or so) it just sucks so much more memory, and it's slow to load compared to the other 2....even on a new computer.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Currently

latincanuck wrote:

Currently going between firefox, chrome and safari. Just trying to see which one I prefer because lately firefox (last year or so) it just sucks so much more memory, and it's slow to load compared to the other 2....even on a new computer.

Firefox is a memory hog, but there's more to performance than speed and it depends on a myriad of factors like your specific needs and what type of system you're running. This thread is more about which addons people recommend, and Doom being a primitive.

EDIT: and super-AIDS.

H.P. Lovecraft

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

latincanuck wrote:

Chrome works perfectly for everything but large amounts of flash content. I copy the url and open firefox for that, but then close it again after.

Firefox just hasn't been that good for a few years now. I used it exclusively before though, back when it was fast, small, and efficient.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Firefox just

ClockCat wrote:

Firefox just hasn't been that good for a few years now.

In your opinion. I wouldn't even use google's search engine without a scraper. They're a completely unethical company, on every front you could imagine. Even if their browser could predict the future and tickle my balls while I look at the internet I wouldn't put their fucking malware on my computer.

H.P. Lovecraft

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:
their browser could predict the future and tickle my balls while I look at the internet

Oh my....wait, what were you saying? :3

Oh right. Firefox development has and is funded by Google. Who also works with them on development. 

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Gauche

ClockCat wrote:

Gauche wrote:
their browser could predict the future and tickle my balls while I look at the internet

Oh right. Firefox development has and is funded by Google. Who also works with them on development. 

Mozilla still owns firefox and dictates the terms of service. If you use chrome for anything other than testing purposes your nuts.

H.P. Lovecraft

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:
ClockCat wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Mozilla still owns firefox and dictates the terms of service. If you use chrome for anything other than testing purposes your nuts.

Why is that? :3

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Gauche

ClockCat wrote:

Gauche wrote:
ClockCat wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Why is that? :3

In Mozilla, Google search comes by default right? In the search bar and in the address bar. If you notice that when you type in an address wrong it defaults to a google I feel lucky search. But if you change that your surfing activity isn't being transmitted to Google. With Chrome Google is monitoring your entire surfing behavior.

H.P. Lovecraft

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:With Chrome

Gauche wrote:
With Chrome Google is monitoring your entire surfing behavior.

Yay for data-mining!

I.E doesnt do that, derp derp

What Would Kharn Do?

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not telling anyone what

I'm not telling anyone what they should do. You should make your own decisions. But what does Google do with that information admittedly? Other than tailoring ads they turn over all that information to any policing agency in the world that asks for it.

You have a company that helped to set up internet censorship in China using darpa developed military software monitoring people and turning the information over to the feds.

But they sure as shit blacklisted Cnet when they posted personal information about Google's CEO. It's blatantly hypocritical and this fascist bullshit makes me want to puke. You can use it if you want. You probably haven't done anything wrong. But the whole way that they do business is questionable in my opinion and I don't like to use their shit.

H.P. Lovecraft

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
I remember the last time we

I remember the last time we had browser wars on this site is when we were trying to convince MattShizzle to switch from IE6 to...well, anything but IE6. This site never worked properly with IE6 and yet he still moaned about it even after we told him we're not going to spend countless hours tweaking the site so that it's prettier in IE6.

Sorry, bad memory...

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:I'm not telling

Gauche wrote:
I'm not telling anyone what they should do. You should make your own decisions. But what does Google do with that information admittedly? Other than tailoring ads they turn over all that information to any policing agency in the world that asks for it. You have a company that helped to set up internet censorship in China using darpa developed military software monitoring people and turning the information over to the feds. But they sure as shit blacklisted Cnet when they posted personal information about Google's CEO. It's blatantly hypocritical and this fascist bullshit makes me want to puke. You can use it if you want. You probably haven't done anything wrong. But the whole way that they do business is questionable in my opinion and I don't like to use their shit.

What do you mean fascist bullshit? This is capitalism at its finest and most greediest. Don't care about the clients, only who pays and in capitalism that's all that matters in the end, profit.

SapphireMind
SapphireMind's picture
User is offlineOffline
I use firefox.  I tried to

I use firefox.  I tried to switch to chrome, but after 15 minutes without adblock plus, I cried and went back to firefox. 

I haven't been as happy w/ firefox since 3 came out, because it crashed so much more.  It's finally getting better, but it's been a long time coming.

As for add-ons:

• AdBlock Plus - Can't live without this anymore.
  • Greasemonkey - I have it because I used to play ikariam, and my alliance pretty much required it to run scripts to manage things. 
  • Gmail manager - must have, can always know the moment I get new email.
  • IE Tab - useful for some sites that don't run right in firefox (like my work's scheduling program) with a click of a button, firefox emulates ie.  Plus it remembers (if you want) the sites that you want it to run in ie.
  • StumbleUpon - great time killer.
  • LastPass - very nice password manager
  • Paypal Plugin - Easily gets me a disposable cc number from my paypal.
  • Diccionario de Español - quick spanish/english dictionary
  • Deepest Sender - LJ interface.
  • Daemon Tools - Website management schtuff. 
  • ColorZilla - Basically an eyedropper for all the web, so if I find a color I really like, I can pick it out.

I haven't browsed for new addons for quite some time though, I should see what's new out there.

"Shepherd Book once said to me, 'If you can't do something smart, do something right.'" - Jayne

Personally subverting biological evolution in favor of social evolution every night I go to work!

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
dead_again wrote:I remember

dead_again wrote:

I remember the last time we had browser wars on this site is when we were trying to convince MattShizzle to switch from IE6 to...well, anything but IE6. This site never worked properly with IE6 and yet he still moaned about it even after we told him we're not going to spend countless hours tweaking the site so that it's prettier in IE6.

Sorry, bad memory...

...I just got the chills ...   Eye-wink

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just installed AdBlocker

I just installed AdBlocker Plus.  I don't notice much of a change, so it must be working really well!

I use a bunch of add-ons.

I like to download a variety of files to store permanently on my computer or to rip from them.  This makes it easy.  I use Media Converter to convert my stuff between formats.  It's not an add-on, but it's awesome.

It's name says it all.  It saves forms to quick links bar for quick, one click, form entry.  I use a lot of forms at work, so it's good to have.

This opens a Tab using the IE rendering engine in Firefox and has context menu options to open the window in IE or switch the rendering engine back to Firefox.  Wonderful and useful if you visit the very few web pages out there that run only in IE.

Because I'm Canadian and when I type 'neighbour' I don't want to see red squiggly lines under it, 'cause that's annoying.

I also use Alexa Sparky.

That's it for me.  I'm a simple person, with simple needs.  When I find any other add-on that helps me do things I want to do or which makes aesthetic changes I like, I'll use it, but this is my repertoire for now.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
SapphireMind wrote: I use

SapphireMind wrote:

I use firefox.  I tried to switch to chrome, but after 15 minutes without adblock plus, I cried and went back to firefox. 

I haven't been as happy w/ firefox since 3 came out, because it crashed so much more.  It's finally getting better, but it's been a long time coming.

As for add-ons:

• AdBlock Plus - Can't live without this anymore.
  • Greasemonkey - I have it because I used to play ikariam, and my alliance pretty much required it to run scripts to manage things. 
  • Gmail manager - must have, can always know the moment I get new email.
  • IE Tab - useful for some sites that don't run right in firefox (like my work's scheduling program) with a click of a button, firefox emulates ie.  Plus it remembers (if you want) the sites that you want it to run in ie.
  • StumbleUpon - great time killer.
  • LastPass - very nice password manager
  • Paypal Plugin - Easily gets me a disposable cc number from my paypal.
  • Diccionario de Español - quick spanish/english dictionary
  • Deepest Sender - LJ interface.
  • Daemon Tools - Website management schtuff. 
  • ColorZilla - Basically an eyedropper for all the web, so if I find a color I really like, I can pick it out.

I haven't browsed for new addons for quite some time though, I should see what's new out there.

Good stuff, I'll have to check out some of those addons. I don't play  ikariam so I don't know what that is but if you're using Greasemonkey you might want to look at another addon called Greasefire. It automatically searches Userscripts.org to see if there are compatible scripts for the page you're looking at.

Greasefire 1.0.4

Quote:
When you visit a web page that has compatible user scripts on Userscripts.org, this extension will highlight the Greasemonkey icon in the status bar. Right click the Greasemonkey icon and choose the "X scripts available" item to see and install the scripts available for the current page.

Note that Greasefire uses a local index to look up scripts that apply to the page you are on -- it does not send any browsing data to a server. The index is updated periodically, see Add-ons -> Greasefire -> Preferences for details.

Are you a web developer? When I was making a webpage for someone recently I found an addon called Aardvark that lets you view the source code of elements on a page individually so you can see how the page is created block by block.

H.P. Lovecraft

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brava?

I use Opera.  

If I want to look at the Source Code of a Website I right Click and choose 'Source'.

I don't need to mess with skins because Opera has a 'Windows Native' Mode so it can just make itself look like my desktop; Red on Black (It actually has a real purpose as it limits the light the monitor emits and lets me look at it for prolonged periods of time without hurting my eyes.

Speed Dial comes included, and I don't use it.

Adblock comes included, and I'm not sure if its on right now, and don't care.

And a whole bunch of other stuff comes included, that I don't Use.

And it has a 'Bookmarks Manager' that opens in another tab that stays open when I use my Bookmarks, thus letting me just go back to that tab whenever I want to use another bookmark.

And its Free.

I only use Firefox when I'm uploading images to my image hosting account, because it for some unknowable reason pitches a fit when I use Opera, just like hotmail Used to, but now that Opera and Hotmail have kissed and made up, they work fine together.  I keep IE on my computer because I work in Web Design and so need to make sure my programs are IE compatible.

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sinphanius wrote: I use

Sinphanius wrote:

I use Opera.  

If I want to look at the Source Code of a Website I right Click and choose 'Source'...

Every browser I've ever seen lets you view the source. I'm talking about mousing over the part of the wepage that you want to know the source code for and just seeing that block of code. Don't get me wrong, it's nice that you like Opera, I mean I don't really give a shit and it's kind of off topic but it's nice.

Also the "free" in "free software" is referring to freedom not price.

The Free Software Definition

Opera isn't free software. Mozilla is though.

H.P. Lovecraft

SapphireMind
SapphireMind's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll have to take a look for

I'll have to take a look for aardvark and greasefire.  I already loaded orbit  :D   I do some web dev on occasion - hobby more than career. 

I'm willing to sacrifice a little initial loading speed for the addons I can get for firefox.  I can't live without my addons. 

"Shepherd Book once said to me, 'If you can't do something smart, do something right.'" - Jayne

Personally subverting biological evolution in favor of social evolution every night I go to work!

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I want to find that small

I want to find that small but handy add-on which merges together the Stop and Refresh buttons. I had it once, but not anymore.

I also use add-on called "little fox" or "little menu bar" (it's a pun in my language), which instantly translates any unknown english word at which I point the cursor for a while. It's so useful, that I once downgraded Firefox for a time, before the authors made a new version of the add-on.

Blank Your Monitor? It blackens the screen? Wonderful! Now I can browse flashy porn pages without being suspicious. Can't wait to install it.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.