Good Resource for Persecuted Atheists

Jim Smith
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Good Resource for Persecuted Atheists

The abuse of atheists on Fox News during this last holiday season was so outrageous that I thought I should let you know about a resource your persecutors will find hard to argue against.

For me, the holiday season has one really depressing aspect: watching my co-religionists make asses of themselves as they wail and gnash thier teeth over displays that atheists put up in response to the Christians'. The message that comes through loud and clear is "America's supposed to be a country of, by, and for Christians, and everyone else should just shut up and feel lucky to be allowed to live here".

Athists are entirely justified in taking offense (and alarm!) at such dominionism. Most are also aware that like most "Christianity", this view of the relation between Believers and secular power has no foundation in the beliefs and practices of the earliest followers of Jesus. However, it can be inconvenient to hunt down what those earliest Believers actually said on that subject. A good, accessible (and FREE) source is Eberhard Arnold's Early Christians in Their Own Words, available as a pdf at plough.com. Modern theocratic facists-in-waiting will find it difficult to argue against the unanimous opposing opinion of "people who were following Jesus to the death, even before the word 'Christian' was invented".

Along the same lines, here's an effective argument against Christian superpatriots who back bloodthirsty solutions to America's problems: point out that even though the world had those same sorts of problems when Jesus walked the earth, He explicitly rejected such remedies. When the superpatriot is done sputtering, you can then say something like, "Well, since you seem to think you know better than Jesus does, why don't you leave Him out of it, and just tell us what YOU think?"

Hope this helps.

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

Thanks for noticing, Jim.  I can't tell anymore if christianity is a religion of peace or a religion of war.   But if they want a war, they'll get one.  And, like Vastet said, I'll do whatever I can to make sure it doesn't come to that. 

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jim Smith wrote:Athists are

Jim Smith wrote:

Athists are entirely justified in taking offense (and alarm!) at such dominionism.

Whereas your "help" may be idealistic and well intended, it is quite unnecessary.

There is no such group as "atheists". There are only individuals who refuse to bow down before a symbol of the mind.

It is not a question of what you believe in, it is a question of human dignity. It is a question of being real.

There is no point in taking offense at stupidity. All you can do is refuse to be a part of it. So you just keep your faith.

Keep your ideas. Keep your beliefs. Keep all that paleolithic terror that shakes your soul up so much that you cry.

Keep your fear. Keep your judgments. Keep that narrow world of narcissistic assumptions and cowardly submission.

Keep the peace. Keep your head straight. Monkey is as monkey does.

I reject your faith and all that you stand for. I reject it as inferior and outdated. I reject it as stupid.

I reject your faith as both ugly and offensive. I reject all that you dream of and all that you represent.

I reject all that which came to be this world, which is your world, you Christian dog.

I reject your violent fantasies and your emotional terrorism. I condemn you.

I ostracize and excommunicate you. Go away.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Infidelis
Superfan
Infidelis's picture
User is offlineOffline
damnnnn.

This guy rejects you!

He said go away!

This solves all the problems!

I don't understand, why do you have to hate on the guy being reasonable?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Infidelis wrote:I don't

Infidelis wrote:

I don't understand, why do you have to hate on the guy being reasonable?

Irony...

What Would Kharn Do?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lets not ignore reality.

Lets not ignore reality. While it is true that atheist describes an individual, individuals no matter their label seek out like minded people, like on websites like this. I think it is ALWAYS important to point out that we(humans) do need to treat each other as individuals.

But we "atheists" do have one thing in common, a lack of belief in god/s. Other than that we can be as widely varied on our class/national origin/and politics.

The same can be said for Christians too. The Southern baptist and Northern Catholic BOTH believe that Jesus is the son of the one true god, but other than that they too vary in their class/race/politics.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog