Wild Rant against Pricks

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wild Rant against Pricks

I am, under certain conditions, willing to accept the company of non-smokers. However, I won't do business with them, nor invite them into my home. In a case study of the concept of tolerance, yours truly will probably not do so well on the test score. Or maybe I would? You see, I really and truly have no opinions about what other people should be, or do, as I don't consider it appropriate to try and "design" somebody else's past, present or future. I take people at face value. This doesn't mean that I like them all - far from it. In fact, as far as I can see, most people are just vermin. Judged by how they behave. Yes it is indeed true that we all have talents and spectacular abilities to be and behave like magical animals. But it just isn't like that in reality. It takes a monumental effort of willpower to take charge of your own life and choose to be "better" than the default, vermin class of animals that are humans.

This peculiar mix of lazyness and impatience is fascinating. I recently travelled with an aviation machine, something which made it necessary for me to traverse an airport. (Or two, actually, but let's not be pedantic.) I noticed that I was the only person who consequently went for the proper staircases, rather than these bizarre conveyor belts called escalators (?) and/or the vertical lifting devices. I don't like the feeling of being transported. If it is at all possible to get from the point A (where I'm at) to the point B (which is my destination) in any sensible way by virtue of walking, I prefer to walk. I also find travelling by horse to be a pleasing prospect. Even an ox cart is to be preferred before the noisy machinery of modern days. I am able to drive cars. Quite well, actually. If transported by a car (something which places you in mortal peril over an extended period of time), I prefer to be the driver. I really think it is asking an awful lot of me to place my life into the hands of another, just like that.

Just the other day, I observed a Lotus Elise in the streets of Oslo. I must say, it's a pretty piece of designer work - and you don't see them very often around here. I looked at it much the same way I would look at a barbie girl who were strolling by, all dressed up to strut her stuff. You are supposed to look at girls who have taken the time and effort to design their appearance like that. In fact, to not acknowledge that is horribly impolite and improper - at least as much as it is to stare and be a lewd fool who makes indecent gestures and yell obscenities. However, as is the case with the Lotus Elise, I find most barbie girls who are all appearance to be completely useless. Or, at best, just toys. And I am not a toy boy type. If I were to decide on a joyeous ride, I would prefer the largest New Holland, John Deere or Fendt tractor. HUGE motherfuckers with front wheels that are taller and wider than an average man, these machines wouldn't feel it as any more than a slight bump if they rode straight across a Ferrari. I think a psychologist would have a field day with that one.

What is beauty anyway? I find it very hard indeed to express my own ideas on this issue, say nothing of understanding the ideas of other people. Much of it seem to be about conventions. Sales and marketing techniques. Streamlined mainstream brainstrucked slipstream dead fish in the flowing waters of commerce. Personally, though, I'd take one moment of originality over a hundred years of comfortable conventionalism. Give me intensity, not mediocrity. Most of the conventional beauty paradigm is boring beyond description. If I wanted something to just sit next to me and look spectacular, I would have bought myself a fucking peacock.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote: You see, I

Marquis wrote:

You see, I really and truly have no opinions about what other people should be, or do, as I don't consider it appropriate to try and "design" somebody else's past, present or future. I take people at face value. This doesn't mean that I like them all - far from it. In fact, as far as I can see, most people are just vermin. Judged by how they behave. Yes it is indeed true that we all have talents and spectacular abilities to be and behave like magical animals. But it just isn't like that in reality. It takes a monumental effort of willpower to take charge of your own life and choose to be "better" than the default, vermin class of animals that are humans.

I know i've said it before, but...

I LIKE THIS GUY!

What Would Kharn Do?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey dude, you get to be my

Hey dude, you get to be my friend as well. 

Just out of curiosity, what car would you buy if money was no object?  While the Lotus is, as you say, a nice ride, have you considered the possibility of a '68 goat? (Pontiac GTO).

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
a '68 goat? (Pontiac GTO).

Meh...

A friend of mine's got one. It's a goat that eats quite a lot of cash.

I prefer a 2-door coupe 1971 Dodge Charger as those kinds of cars go.

But in the real world, I am a Mercedes-Benz AMG man.

With money not being an object, maybe even a Maybach man.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:What is beauty

Marquis wrote:
What is beauty anyway?

Marquis wrote:
[...] a fucking peacock.
'Good an answer as any.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's your beef with

What's your beef with non-smokers?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Marquis,I have affixed the

Marquis,

I have affixed the atheist badge to your account so that you can send private messages, get into the atheist only forums, and start a blog on the site.  It seems to me that much of your content would look great in a blog on this site dedicated solely to you.  Your posts are always interesting.

Marquis wrote:

I must say, it's a pretty piece of designer work - and you don't see them very often around here. I looked at it much the same way I would look at a barbie girl who were strolling by, all dressed up to strut her stuff. You are supposed to look at girls who have taken the time and effort to design their appearance like that. In fact, to not acknowledge that is horribly impolite and improper - at least as much as it is to stare and be a lewd fool who makes indecent gestures and yell obscenities. However, as is the case with the Lotus Elise, I find most barbie girls who are all appearance to be completely useless. Or, at best, just toys. And I am not a toy boy type. If I were to decide on a joyeous ride, I would prefer the largest New Holland, John Deere or Fendt tractor. HUGE motherfuckers with front wheels that are taller and wider than an average man, these machines wouldn't feel it as any more than a slight bump if they rode straight across a Ferrari.  

FWIW: I'd pick the barbie girl for the joyeous ride.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I suspect

nutxaq wrote:

What's your beef with non-smokers?

There are times Marquis drives the english language in a sort of wondrous smash up derby where there are no rules and no absolutely no hard feelings. I think the idea is that we get out the picnic blanket, thermos and sandwiches, and simply enjoy the spectacle...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote: You see, I

Marquis wrote:

You see, I really and truly have no opinions about what other people should be, or do, as I don't consider it appropriate to try and "design" somebody else's past, present or future. I take people at face value. This doesn't mean that I like them all - far from it. In fact, as far as I can see, most people are just vermin. Judged by how they behave. Yes it is indeed true that we all have talents and spectacular abilities to be and behave like magical animals. But it just isn't like that in reality. It takes a monumental effort of willpower to take charge of your own life and choose to be "better" than the default, vermin class of animals that are humans.

Woooow this is how I feel after a long day working in customer service.  What do you do for a living, Marquis?

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:the atheist

Sapient wrote:
the atheist badge

Oooooh! A badge!

I shall look into the options. Blogging is of course "my thing" like that.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:
english language in a sort of wondrous smash up derby

Dude, you should see what I do to the Norwegian language.

I consider myself mediocre at English, but in the Top Fuel class at Norwegian.

At this point I could start a rant about traditional Norse culture and the "deconstructivist" structuralisation of the art of poetry, but I think I shall save that for a later occasion. There is a nerve hiding behind the formalisms of linguistic plugins... but to hit it you need to think like a semiologic ninja. Strategy!

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gallowsbait wrote:What do

Gallowsbait wrote:

What do you do for a living, Marquis?

Um... good question. I think that nowadays I shall have to say that I am "a businessman".

However, I spent 15 years in construction and got to study every imaginable (and a few unimaginable) aspect of human idiocy up close and personal, both at the theoretical and the practical level; both in terms of being an employer and in customer relations.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis

Marquis wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:
english language in a sort of wondrous smash up derby

Dude, you should see what I do to the Norwegian language.

I consider myself mediocre at English, but in the Top Fuel class at Norwegian.

At this point I could start a rant about traditional Norse culture and the "deconstructivist" structuralisation of the art of poetry, but I think I shall save that for a later occasion. There is a nerve hiding behind the formalisms of linguistic plugins... but to hit it you need to think like a semiologic ninja. Strategy!

Western society would be better off if Nordic religion were the dominant religion instead of Christianity.  I know there's no evidence of that either but I dont think Nordic religion is as close minded, hateful, and fanatical as things you see in the bible which are VERY hateful and ENDORSING GENOCIDE!!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Western society would be better off if Nordic religion were the dominant religion instead of Christianity.

Oh I don't know about that. You have to put "Nordic religion" into the proper context. In essence, it is a pagan system just like the Graeco-Roman one, with a pantheon of "deities" that are similar to the other systems, only with small adaptations to the local customs and cultural traditions. For instance, Thor is pretty much the same figure as Zeus, whereas Odin is more like a compund figure with half Mercury and half Dionysos. What's interesting is that in Norse culture, pure macho strength, like that of Thor/Zeus, was seen as serious enough for its use, but also a little silly, and hardly fit for a leader figure.

Anyway, it is a fallacy to think of pagan religion as faith based. They didn't believe in the gods, but viewed them perhaps more like imaginary patron saints, i.e. talismans, that served both as inspiring and guiding symbols in a world where very little was understood about nature and physical phenomenons.

Christianity and other "theistic" religions is a whole different ballgame, where the imaginary deity is demanding "faith", i.e. blind submission, something which if you think about it really constitutes paranoid schizofrenia. A chosen and deliberate condition of insanity. It is perfectly possible to be insane without being dysfunctional (in the sociologic sense). This is possibly the gravest danger that modern society hosts: Advanced technology in combination with medieval superstition.

It is an interesting question whether western society would have existed at all (in its current form) if it hadn't been for the authority principle that is embedded in theistic religion as a political tool. For instance Augustine of Hippo's work "Civitas Dei" (the Kingdom of God) is a philosophical work which shows where they were going with it all. One can also argue that it was the Roman emperor Constantine who created Christianity such as it is, including the political decision of creating "the Bible", which happened at the council of Nicaea in about 360 CE. Saying that the Bible is the word of God pretty much equates to the same as saying the emperor Constantine was a spokesman for the deity (which of course, by Roman tradition, he was).

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:Sapient

Marquis wrote:

Sapient wrote:
the atheist badge

Oooooh! A badge!

I shall look into the options. Blogging is of course "my thing" like that.

The blog posts helped feature your posts.  I am displaying your blog feed on the left side of every page of the site (near the bottom).  Anyone can add your feed to their feed reader or you can display it elsewhere by linking to it.  This is the url: http://www.rationalresponders.com/blog/19770/feed

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Anyone can add

Sapient wrote:
Anyone can add your feed to their feed reader

Dude, I am a computer illiterate, so I don't even understand what that means.

(Consider this: I only learned the black magic art of copy + paste in 2006.)

But I do have a very dirty mind, so I'll look at everything pondering "how can this be used for sex?"...

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Marquis

Marquis wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Western society would be better off if Nordic religion were the dominant religion instead of Christianity.

Oh I don't know about that. You have to put "Nordic religion" into the proper context. In essence, it is a pagan system just like the Graeco-Roman one, with a pantheon of "deities" that are similar to the other systems, only with small adaptations to the local customs and cultural traditions. For instance, Thor is pretty much the same figure as Zeus, whereas Odin is more like a compund figure with half Mercury and half Dionysos. What's interesting is that in Norse culture, pure macho strength, like that of Thor/Zeus, was seen as serious enough for its use, but also a little silly, and hardly fit for a leader figure.

Anyway, it is a fallacy to think of pagan religion as faith based. They didn't believe in the gods, but viewed them perhaps more like imaginary patron saints, i.e. talismans, that served both as inspiring and guiding symbols in a world where very little was understood about nature and physical phenomenons.

Christianity and other "theistic" religions is a whole different ballgame, where the imaginary deity is demanding "faith", i.e. blind submission, something which if you think about it really constitutes paranoid schizofrenia. A chosen and deliberate condition of insanity. It is perfectly possible to be insane without being dysfunctional (in the sociologic sense). This is possibly the gravest danger that modern society hosts: Advanced technology in combination with medieval superstition.

It is an interesting question whether western society would have existed at all (in its current form) if it hadn't been for the authority principle that is embedded in theistic religion as a political tool. For instance Augustine of Hippo's work "Civitas Dei" (the Kingdom of God) is a philosophical work which shows where they were going with it all. One can also argue that it was the Roman emperor Constantine who created Christianity such as it is, including the political decision of creating "the Bible", which happened at the council of Nicaea in about 360 CE. Saying that the Bible is the word of God pretty much equates to the same as saying the emperor Constantine was a spokesman for the deity (which of course, by Roman tradition, he was).

Marquis, most Europeans would not be Christians AT ALL if Constantine and Charlamagne didn't spread Christianity by the SWORD i.e. threatened Europeans with death, burnt them at the stake, etc.  It was only due to a POLITICAL ALLIANCE between Constantine and the church that Constantine agreed to "spread" Christianity.  There was reincarnation and more vegetarianism in the bible but that was taken out at the Council of Nicea in 325 A.D. since Constantine didn't like those. (dates can vary but we have apprx. the same date)

People of European descent forget that most Christians DID NOT WANT Christianity but are only Christians because they were threatened with DEATH if they didn't convert.  Celtic England fought the Romans to the death rather than have a FOREIGN religion forced upon them.  Most people don't even know that.

I'm not saying Nordic religion is real AT ALL.  Like EINSTEIN said all religion is based on myth but I'm just saying that I don't think they would've been as intolerant and hateful as the bible is.

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:Sapient

Marquis wrote:

Sapient wrote:
Anyone can add your feed to their feed reader

Dude, I am a computer illiterate, so I don't even understand what that means.

(Consider this: I only learned the black magic art of copy + paste in 2006.)

But I do have a very dirty mind, so I'll look at everything pondering "how can this be used for sex?"...

This makes it a little easier to follow along: http://www.rationalresponders.com/blog/marquis

As for sex... here's how it works...

Walk up to a girl in a bar.  Tell her you're Marquis the featured blogger on The Rational Response Squad Website.  

At that point one of two things will happen:

1.  She'll say, I've read you... let's fuck.

2.  She'll say, what's that?  And you say... come back to my house I'll show you while we fuck.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Tell her

Sapient wrote:
Tell her you're Marquis the featured blogger on The Rational Response Squad Website.

LMFAO.

I am already a minor celebrity like that, from other (and unrelated) contexts.

The irony of it is that whereas I could surely fuck 10 different women every day if I so wanted - and they would BEG me to do so - I am only interested in my girlfriend (who is currently so busy with her doctorate that we hardly see eachother) and being unfaithful or lying to her would be like stabbing myself with a knife (which I have no intention of ever doing).

Okay I was now reminded of this here song:

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Constantine agreed to "spread" Christianity

Constantine was a pragmatic politician of his time who saw the value of unifying - by force if necessary - all his subjects into one state of "faith". A position that used to be held by the imminent deism of the Roman emperor, but which had been watered out over time by the immersion of ever new ideas and concepts into the Roman sphere of reality. Of course this has carried on since then. It is really rather obvious. If you are to rule a people, you need tools... and a very handy tool indeed is their faith and submission to an imaginary deity that is under your control. However, if you rip loose from the secular lord that is "understated" in the context, you wind up with what we have today, which is a bunch of paranoid hysterics who are willing to accept ANYTHING as long as it fucks them up the ass (which is their particular kink).

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient

Sapient wrote:
displaying

PS... can you establish a thread in the ONE ON ONE debate forum for me?

It is called "Marquis vs. Luminon on the subject of Spirituality".

I think it might be an entertaining spectacle.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:I noticed that

Marquis wrote:

I noticed that I was the only person who consequently went for the proper staircases, rather than these bizarre conveyor belts called escalators (?) and/or the vertical lifting devices. I don't like the feeling of being transported. If it is at all possible to get from the point A (where I'm at) to the point B (which is my destination) in any sensible way by virtue of walking, I prefer to walk.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

bpwaddell
bpwaddell's picture
User is offlineOffline
Give me intensity, not mediocrity.

Marquis...  15 years in construction.. and now a businessman.. 

I have to hand it to you, the following  lines from your blog are very good, if not inspiring

Paving the Road to Hell

That is to say; children who are too daring will get themselves killed,

Relativity in the Space Age
What we can see is real. What we can't see isn't.

When the Bamboo is Flowering
Every 48 years, the bamboo plant flowers

Previous posts from Marquis
Several posts created by Marquis are not in his blog as he is a new user and
didn't have a blog until today

D for Discipline
What more than anything makes people stupid is that they think they are smart.

South of Heaven
The reason for suffering is desire, said the Buddha

Life in the Twilight Zone
But when did you come into the picture?

IBM and the Sexual Toilet Function
Many men already have a troubled relation to their sexuality -
in the sense that they are afraid of women and they feel clumsy and awkward around them

but RRS is not  a suitable theatre  for such a talent ..
Atheism is a not a belief and in fact it is the ultimate apathy about something that does not even exist..

so may I recommend that you collect your thoughts and row them down the rapids .. and  write something that we can all be proud of ..

so get to it  !! Mr Steinbeck

bpwaddell
bpwaddell's picture
User is offlineOffline
Give me intensity, not mediocrity.

but may I add...

Your understanding of string theory is flawed...

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Einstein named his paper

Einstein named his paper "Zur Elektrodynamik bewegter Körper", typically translated as "On The Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies".

And of course it said nothing about the reality or otherwise of objects, just that there is no absolute referent for position or velocity in space.

The rest was on the implications on how this and the properties of electromagnetic radiation affected the visible appearance of objects moving at different, but constant, velocity relative to the observer.

Maquis does have some cogent observations, from time to time, but also some deep misconceptions.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
It's not the question of can

It's not the question of can we tolerate the presense of smokers but the REAL question is can we tolerate the presence of ChristNUTS and the answer is a resounding NO!!!!

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Maquis does

BobSpence1 wrote:

Maquis does have some cogent observations, from time to time, but also some deep misconceptions.

FFS Bob...

I wouldn't be half as charming as I am if I was pedantically correct all the time.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
bpwaddell wrote:Your

bpwaddell wrote:

Your understanding of string theory is flawed...

Sir, I seriously doubt that I "understand" string theory. But it fascinates me none the less.

Which reminds me of a famous Richard Feynman quote:

"If you think you understand quantum theory, you don't understand quantum theory."