Hello, think I'll stick around.

msTake
User is offlineOffline
Hello, think I'll stick around.

Hello athiest activists and determined theist debaters.

Hm.  Found the site by accident, but it is well put together and entertaining.  I'm neither a theist, nor am I an atheist.  I call myself a non-absolutist.  Happiest when sitting on the fence  (the view is so much better).  However, there are couple things I have a solid opinion on.

I detest tradition for it's own sake.

I truely believe magical thinking is the precursor to a dark age.

No progress is possible for humanity without free - I mean really freeeee speech.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi MsTake

msTake wrote:

Hello athiest activists and determined theist debaters.

Hm.  Found the site by accident, but it is well put together and entertaining.  I'm neither a theist, nor am I an atheist.  I call myself a non-absolutist.  Happiest when sitting on the fence  (the view is so much better).  However, there are couple things I have a solid opinion on.

I detest tradition for it's own sake.

I truely believe magical thinking is the precursor to a dark age.

No progress is possible for humanity without free - I mean really freeeee speech.

Your impressive yet impossible fence-straddle cannot be long maintained and I look forward to your atheistic announcement in the near future. Your 3 solid opinions are excellent and I'm sure they will bring you (by the narrow winding path - lol), to your rightful destination...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

msTake
User is offlineOffline
 Perhaps.  And then I'll

Perhaps.  And then I'll need a belaclava just like yours.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Depending on where you live, that might

msTake wrote:

Perhaps.  And then I'll need a belaclava just like yours.

be true....

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! Fair warning: If

Welcome! Laughing out loud

Fair warning: If you believe in a god, you're a theist (or deist/pantheist/etc). If you don't, you're an atheist. Since you're fence sitting, like most of us waiting for proof of a god(s), you are an agnostic atheist. Smiling

Someone was going to say it eventually. Might as well be me. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Oh fuck I guess I'll

Oh fuck I guess I'll complete the trifecta of warnings...

Am I Agnostic or Atheist?

Welcome aboard nonabsolutist.

msTake
User is offlineOffline
 Oh dear.  I should have

Oh dear.  I should have consulted my dictionary.  Is there anything left in the world to define?

So would someone with a narcissistic personality disorder, who believes themselves to have supernatural abilities, but not believe in a God, be a gnostic atheist?

Thanks for the welcome and the warnings.  

I'll save my arguments for the boards.

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi there!  I like how you

Hi there!  I like how you mentioned the determined theist debaters.  Eye-wink

I wish I were good at debating things...

Anyway I look forward to hearing your arguments on the boards

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
msTake wrote:Is there

msTake wrote:
Is there anything left in the world to define?
Start talking with theists and you'll discover there really is.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
msTake wrote: So would

msTake wrote:
So would someone with a narcissistic personality disorder, who believes themselves to have supernatural abilities, but not believe in a God, be a gnostic atheist?

Can't say I suffer from NPD (though I might -- I am from Alaska, after all, and everyone knows everyone from Alaska is just like Sarah Palin). I am a gnostic atheist, though. I am quite sure the logical arguments against a deity makes god not only unlikely, but impossible. So, yes, there are gnostic atheists. However, we tend to be very polite about it.

Care for a truffle?

Oh, and -- welcome! I hope you stick around.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

msTake
User is offlineOffline
 Thanks all, for the

Thanks all, for the welcome.

Bold Nigel - help me out, my googling efforts are confusing me. if gnosticism is a belief that one can obtain special knowledge of a spiritual nature, does this mean a gnostic atheist believes in the supernatural, but not in a divine creator?  (Sounds like a Buddhist).