Out west

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Out west

I created this account ages ago, but haven't had much time to read the forums and such.  I am an unemployed IT geek in Portland, OR.  It's almost 10 months since I was laid off and I'm REALLY REALLY bored.  Retirement fund?  What retirement?  Ah, well. 

I finally officially became an atheist about 30 years ago.  My husband has been an atheist all his life.  I kept trying to fit in with friends and neighbors.  Religion never really worked for me - something about giving up control of my life to Jesus.  And punishing a child for a wrong doing for their entire life - and their children, and grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, and..... What kind of sadist is this god???  Or the impossibility of a being who is all-knowing, all-powerful, all-benevolent and yet just look at the world around you!  Are you blind?

And the inconsistencies - take this part from the old testament, this part from the new, but ignore everything that doesn't fit with your religion's philosophies.  And so what if it is all out of context-believe what the preacher says to believe.  Check you brain at the door just doesn't work for me.

It was just icing on the cake to discover that the Bible was largely made up by a bunch of goat herders.  Nice guys, I'm sure.  But how do you explain genetics to someone who doesn't understand cellular biology?  Or billions of years when they don't have zeros and count their years by the generations of their ancestors?

So, now I can say-

-- I feel so much better since I gave up trying to believe.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Valerie
Valerie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Back

I guess I'm pretty lucky because I never was a believer.  But I love hearing stories of those who became Atheists.  Welcome back, freethinker.

"Religion must die for mankind to live" - Bill Maher

"Those who deny reason cannot be conquered by it" - Ayn Rand

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back

Always good to hear from rational people. I really don't understand how it is not obvious to everyone.

I was lucky enough to be raised a free thinker. I was told to check out rreligion and make my own decision. It was pretty easy.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back.

Welcome back. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi cj and welcome back after