Gays against avatar?

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
Posts: 229
Joined: 2007-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Gays against avatar?

stopavatarmovie.blogspot.com/2009/12/december-18-2009-international-day-of.html

Quote:
On Friday, December 18, 2009 thousands of people will be protesting the release of the James Cameron movie, Avatar. The purpose of the protest is as follows:

1) To make all people aware that heterosexual arrogance, assumptions or exclusions of alternative sexualities in movies is no longer acceptable. Diversity and tolerance are human rights.

2) To speak out for all gay, bi-sexual, genderless and transgender people who are not represented by any character in Avatar.

3) To educate people about Evolution and humanity's transition to transgenderism.

All protests will be peaceful and non-confrontational. Suggested methods of protest:

  • Stand outside of theaters with signs and pamphlets to express your views
  • Sit down in theater lobbies and do not move unless the police use force or violence upon you
  • Stand up during a viewing of Avatar and remain standing
  • Buy tickets to Avatar in bulk but do not attend showings. An empty theater sends a message
  • Bring your mate to the theater and show affection to each other.

Reminder: SILENCE = DEATH. We will be silent no more. [quote/]

 

 I'm confused.


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
Waiting for Oblivion

Waiting for Oblivion wrote:


3) To educate people about Evolution and humanity's transition to transgenderism.

 

... "lolwut" ?

 

please tell me thats not what i think it means...

What Would Kharn Do?


Eloise
Theist
Eloise's picture
Posts: 1804
Joined: 2007-05-26
User is offlineOffline
That blog is deeply

That blog is deeply disturbing.

I don't know what it was intended to be but it looks like it has become just a mass mindfuck for anyone naive enough to be drawn in. Not pretty.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com


Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-07-15
User is offlineOffline
"Buy tickets to Avatar in

"Buy tickets to Avatar in bulk but do not attend showings. An empty theater sends a message"

No it doesn't. Money is money. I used to work as a theater checker for Edwards/Regal Theaters. If more people were in a theater than tickets were sold, then we were concerned that people were sneaking in. If fewer people were in a theater than tickets sold and there were no other theaters with too many people in them, then we didn't care. Once we get their money for the tickets, why would we care whether or not they actually attend?

But really, all of this is retarted. Who cares if "Avatar" shows heterosexual relationships and no homosexual relationships. Don't most movies lack homosexuality? I mean, come on! EVERY romantic comedy is about a heterosexual couple. I don't remember hearing protests for all of those films. Every time James Bond has sex, it is with a lady. Does that make the makers of the James Bond franchise hateful bigots because all of the movies about him focus on heterosexuality?

 

Also: read the comments on that blog. They are amazing.

"For < insert deity here >'s sake will somebody think of the furries?"

"I want bestiality in the movie too. Haters have too long denied the beautiful love between women and dogs and horses.
Evolution is also clearly moving to trans-species love."

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India


Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
Posts: 628
Joined: 2008-02-29
User is offlineOffline
Doesn't this movie show

Doesn't this movie show inter-species sex.

 

Wroooarrrrr!


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10537
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is onlineOnline
This guy's batshit insane. I

This guy's batshit insane. I tried commenting there, but it didn't work.

"1) To make all people aware that heterosexual arrogance, assumptions or exclusions of alternative sexualities in movies is no longer acceptable. Diversity and tolerance are human rights."

Just because I don't care about other people's sexual preference does not mean I'm about to let you kill MY sexual preference. Read that last sentence you wrote again, this time applying it to yourself.

"2) To speak out for all gay, bi-sexual, genderless and transgender people who are not represented by any character in Avatar"

You just lost the right to bitch about under representation in ANY form of entertainment with your fascism.

"3) To educate people about Evolution and humanity's transition to transgenderism."

Hey moron! The same scientific studies that prove there's nothing inherently wrong with homosexuality say that the average ratio of gay to straight has remained the same in all cultures and all nations worldwide.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10537
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is onlineOnline
And with that said, I must

And with that said, I must suspect this is a joke of some kind. It goes WAY beyond crazy.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5095
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Seems like a smart way

 

To get people talking about a movie, if you ask me. The studio probably gave these gay folks a christmas voucher to pose for the photo.

Cheaper than advertising...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:And with that

Vastet wrote:
And with that said, I must suspect this is a joke of some kind. It goes WAY beyond crazy.

 

I'm starting to wonder if going "beyond crazy" can even be taken as an indication of parody

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Poe is old news.  No one is

Poe is old news.  No one is safe.  Crazy is the new sane.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Rule #1: This already

Rule #1: This already happened in 1982. The film “making love” was sold as “making love with Kate Jackson” (one of the original “Charlie's Angels&rdquoEye-wink. It was mainly about dudes kissing dudes.

 

Rule #2: This already happened in 1998. The film “gods and monsters” was all about an aging gay guy who went for one last fling with his gardener.

 

Jormungander wrote:
"Buy tickets to Avatar in bulk but do not attend showings. An empty theater sends a message"

 

No it doesn't. Money is money. I used to work as a theater checker for Edwards/Regal Theaters. If more people were in a theater than tickets were sold, then we were concerned that people were sneaking in. If fewer people were in a theater than tickets sold and there were no other theaters with too many people in them, then we didn't care. Once we get their money for the tickets, why would we care whether or not they actually attend?

 

Agreed. How many tickets were sold is all that matters. The best example being “meet Joe Black” which was a very forgettable movie. Hardly anyone actually saw it. However, plenty of people bought tickets because it was the first movie to get one of the Lord of the Rings trailers. Most of the people who bought tickets got a refund right after seeing the two minutes that they bought the ticket for. Yet the sales were still counted for the raw numbers despite the fact that the actual dollar count tanked.

 

Abu Lahab wrote:
Doesn't this movie show inter-species sex. 

Wroooarrrrr!


 

Well, if you are into that stuff, don't let me stop you. However, if you decide to google Kenneth Pinyan, it is your own fault when you rip your eyeballs out of your head.


 


 

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
Posts: 237
Joined: 2009-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
Well, if you are into that stuff, don't let me stop you. However, if you decide to google Kenneth Pinyan, it is your own fault when you rip your eyeballs out of your head.
To that I say: Neigh!

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:3

 I saw Avatar tonight without knowing what it was about at all and I think it was an amazingly well done movie. The visuals left me wanting to visit a sweet rave planet of my own.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5095
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
yeah - I'm hanging to see this, too.

Good to get a positive view.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
Posts: 628
Joined: 2008-02-29
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: I saw

ClockCat wrote:

 I saw Avatar tonight without knowing what it was about at all and I think it was an amazingly well done movie. The visuals left me wanting to visit a sweet rave planet of my own.

 

Then may I recommend Freedom at Bagleys in Kings Cross, London in 1992. Of course you'll need a time machine and a bag of E.

 

 

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais


Panda91593 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
I really think they should

I really think they should stop complaining. I have nothing against GBLT or anything, but this, this has gone much to far.

 

They stated on the site that the evolution of the human race will not just be heterosexual. First off, I think the one who came up with that should actually go and see the movie, because the Na'vi are not the human race, they are a completely seperate race on a totally different world in the future. They are not the evolution of humans. Get your shit straight before you run your mouth off. I mean honestly people.  Have they really run out of reasons to complain, that they have to stoop this low?

 

Oh! and who actually said that there weren't any GBLT Na'vi people? I never once heard that there weren't. I never heard anything about the Na'vi persecuting people due to thier sexuality either.

 

Go ahead and buy all the tickets you want. You're just funding the movie. Can anyone say, REDUNDANT?

 

I don't think standing in the theaters is a good idea either. You will more than likely get your ass whooped by a big guy named jim, tim, bob, or jack.

 

"To educate people about Evolution and humanity's transition to transgenderism. "
Wow. Education through big time films, how often does that come along. Maybe you should attack school boards and colleges before the movies.
 

 

"Bring your mate to the theater and show affection to each other."

Okay. So? Most couples of any sexuality do this anyways....soooo......this probably won't do anything.

 

Final note: No body is silencing GBLT in the movies unless they come out and say nobody of GBLT sexuality will be in this movie because we hate them or disapprove of who they are.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5095
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Ok so I saw it

 

And there was nothing gay or not gay about it so far as I could tell given the whole thing was a head fuck from start to finish.

In fact like most Hollywood shows these days the good guys are either minority groups or aliens and the bad guys are WASPS so chances are

gayness was rife. I liked the whole tree thing going on. Beats the hell out of the suburbs. Effects were stunning, as Clock says. Stunning.

I was kind of moved by the film's Gaia flavour but then drove home in my car using petrol and am now using electricity and thus destroying the planet.

Death to me.

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


lokipro
lokipro's picture
Posts: 58
Joined: 2008-12-16
User is offlineOffline
I noticed in the picture

I noticed in the picture that they were mostly unattractive and frumpy... so they're obviously not representative of the fabulously fashion forward, good-looking group that the GLBT community is. I mean... seriously, they're probably breeders trying to give us gays a bad name!

On a more serious note: Are these asshats serious?! I watched it last night, and other than the preachy story-line and the completely predictable plot, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Amazing how flashy graphics and cinematography can save what would normally be an awful movie.

 


Thomathy
SuperfanBronze Member
Thomathy's picture
Posts: 1861
Joined: 2007-08-20
User is offlineOffline
I don't get it.  Avatar has

I don't get it.  Avatar has too much shiny to be considered anything other than gay friendly.

I'm gay and I strongly endorse this stereotype.

(Please, let it be Poe.)

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5095
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Yeah there

 

Was a thick layer of cheddar in the plot that bubbled to the surface during moments like rallying the blue dudes to battle (all 14 of them) and at other annoying times.

It was all fairly bog standard anti-establishment-ism. Oddly I liked the colonel. He had true grit in the silliest manner.

I wondered given the the allegation the sky people had destroyed everything green on their planet what they were breathing over there.

And I loved the lanky blue chick with all that hissing and baring of teeth going on with her. Ohhhhhhhh, yeah....

 

 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
Posts: 598
Joined: 2009-03-20
User is offlineOffline
 I'd like to protest as

 I'd like to protest as well:

1) Ten-foot-tall aliens with the bodies of Adonis who appear to have Barbie Doll Crotch (very unrealistic). 

2) All kinds of leaping and running and flying around and not a single faulty loincloth in sight (very improbable).


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3705
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Hey, the main character has

Hey, the main character has sex with one of the aliens, right? How do we know the alien is female? They're aliens, right?  What's to say whether the aliens are male or female? They could be male aliens that look like female humans!

And yeah, the comments on that page are hilarious. I actually lol'd.

Quote:
If I sell tickets to something you find offensive, will you promise to "protest" me, too? I'll even offer a protestor's discount!

Quote:
You're like some Jew in Berlin in 1939 holding a sign that says "Seatbelt Laws Now!"

Quote:
Its the future. Why does the movie assume that a human will fall in love with a bipedal alien and not a quadraped. Why does it assume a human will fall in love with a creature that has signs of intellegence.

We must stand up for furry pride.

 

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Quote:Its

butterbattle wrote:

Quote:
Its the future. Why does the movie assume that a human will fall in love with a bipedal alien and not a quadraped. Why does it assume a human will fall in love with a creature that has signs of intellegence.

We must stand up for furry pride.

 

 

ENTROPIC!

 

 

The Conqueror's Instinct! Death and Eternal Damnation! Humiliation! Excellence! Pathos! Avarice! Trickery! Deceit!

"YOU CAN NOT RUN FROM YOURSELF! YOU CAN NOT HIDE FROM YOURSELF! THERE IS NOTHING BUT THE INSTINCT!"

"Follow me, black sheep, so that we may jump from the Highest Cliffside, and see what happens!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA"

"Why do villains always laugh like retards!?" - Parody Chuck Norris

"HEHEHEHEHE I'm sooo high right now!" -Parody Mel Gibson

Make of that what you will folks!        

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)