Rachel Maddow about to speak about atheist city councilman in NC.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rachel Maddow about to speak about atheist city councilman in NC.

You can google search the story, it is all over the net.

It is December 14th. I don't know if anyone can capture the segment and link it here. But it should be interesting.

Here is the story from their local area where the story is taking place.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20091208/NEWS01/912080327

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 I started watching this

I started watching this moment.  Did I miss it?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: I started

Sapient wrote:

I started watching this moment.  Did I miss it?

No, it is about to start

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
DAMN IT, I HATE TEASERS!I

DAMN IT, I HATE TEASERS!

I swear the show IS teasing the story, but it is quite typical to put controversial stuff at the end to keep people watching the entire thing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
THANK YOU THOMAS JEFFERSON

THANK YOU THOMAS JEFFERSON AND ALL THE FOUNDERS!

The reason this is a controversy is because teaching the Constitution is not focused on in public schools and has for far too long been hijacked by the Right wing as meaning "ripped out of the bible" where "outsider citizens" even born here, are mere guests in their own house.

I am glad to see the growing exposure of the Constitution, It is exposing the lie that Christians are the only ones allowed to compete for the drivers seat.

"No religious test" is why Catholic John F. Kennedy was able to take his oath THE WAY HE CHOSE FIT. It is why Muslim Keith Elleson in OUR congress was able to swear on a Koran once owned by Thomas Jefferson. And why atheist Pete Stark was able to take his oath of office without saying "So help me God".

I was pleased to see that the handful of backwoods states who still have these antiquated Constitutions are in the minority. They too will eventually fall like dominos. But that requires all of us, including theists who value "no religious test" to keep the words of the Constitution in "No religious test" in the public mind and keep it there.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 I saw it.  I can save it

I saw it.  I can save it and if it doesn't appear online will consider posting it.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is the link to the

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't get it.  If it's

I don't get it.  If it's unconstitutional then they get rid of it, right?  End of story?  I'm not sure how state constitutions are amended but surely it can't be that complicated.  I'm sorry for those who think that it's okay to discriminate like that but they obviously need a history lesson. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gallowsbait wrote:I don't

Gallowsbait wrote:

I don't get it.  If it's unconstitutional then they get rid of it, right?  End of story?  I'm not sure how state constitutions are amended but surely it can't be that complicated.  I'm sorry for those who think that it's okay to discriminate like that but they obviously need a history lesson. 

You are missing the point. The city council IS NOT objecting to his seating, THEY SWORE HIM IN. The objectors are Christians pointing out the antiquated State Constituional provision was hollow by virtue that they swore him in.

The objectors can drag it out if they wish, but if they want to keep those hollow words in, the worst thing they can do is bring attention to it.

City Council obviously treated those words as the antiquated window decorations they were.