The Rapture: Really fucking stupid

Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
The Rapture: Really fucking stupid

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of the dumb shit due to go down when The Rapture takes place - it's really fucking stupid. Immediately after The Rapture, a moment when god scoops his living followers up to heaven for their own safety, he begins executing judgments against unbelievers, during a period called the Tribulation.  There's not a lot of good information to be had about the tribulation except that it will be really, really bad. All gardens will be eaten by slugs, every song will sound like Bucks Fizz. Coffee will taste like it does at the Tarana Hotel. It will be impossible to pay for a decent breakfast. You'll never get a seat on public transport. Fly feet will be twice as sticky. Newsapers will read like the sunday paper every day and the whole world will wear string-topped shoes. Worst of all, the only car available will be the automatic prius in puce. 

At the end of the Tribulation - and this is the good part - the nations of the world, obviously sick to death of hearing about this shit, will attack Israel (booorrrrringggg), and horror of horrors, that tosser jesus christ will physically return, leading the 'armies of heaven'. At the Battle of Armageddon this group of total wankers will destroy everyone who is not a believer (including, and with mind numbing irony, all the israelis) by bashing their heads in with copies of the scottish psalter.

Then, live on broadband digital television for the benefit of a global audience, Satan will be bound, and that poser jesus will set up the Millennial Kingdom, surprisingly headquartered in Jerusalem instead of near a decent beach. jesus and the saints (idolatry anyone?) will then rule over the nations of the Earth for a thousand years. The amount of hymn singing and arse kissing (and bomb chucking by the PLO) likely to go on during this period scarcely bears thinking about. 

But wait - Armageddon was just the preclimax and there's another spasm coming - during this 1000-year period people will be born who are not loyal to christ - but secretly. Just like a good sci-fi action movie these bastards give the lord a chance to dust off the light sabre of his undying love and shove it up the arses of his ant-like creations one more time. Yippeeeeeeee. So, at the end of the thousand-year period, god will release Satan and let him tempt those who inhabit the Earth into having one more fight with him so he can prove how tough he is for good and all! Thanks for all the freewill, god, you complete fucking arsehole.  

A large group, tempted by satan, will take up arms against the lord, including a gang of teenagers in the rural USA called the wolverines. But surprise, surprise, they will be defeated. Then, comes the part we've been waiting for. For those who hate standing still for long periods listening to boring shit, judgment day is going to be worse than clothes shopping with your girlfriend. That longest day, christ will judge all who have ever lived, giving rewards to some and punishment to others. All sins will be known - whether this means jesus is going to tease a confession of every last wank out of us remains unknown, but probable. Those who lost the fight against the toughest kid in school and all the poor sods found not to love jesus or to have jacked off over a fosseys catalogue will then be cast into the Lake of Fire.  

After that, god will destroy heaven and Earth because they have been polluted by sin. He will create a new heaven and a new Earth, put those who were saved on the new Earth, and rule it forever.

I can hardly wait... 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Dear FurryCatHerder

 

All profanities in the above post aimed at god are directed squarely at that improbable tripartate godhead - the father, the son and the holy ghost.

 

 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3686
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
  I've been thinking about

  I've been thinking about the scenario in which the Arab nations combined with Russia gather together armies to destroy Israel. Geographically speaking Israel is slightly larger than a couple of soccer fields, why would it take this massive combined army which would require equally massive logistical requirements just to destroy Israel.  A single ICBM fired from a few thousand miles away would do the trick and even if Israel possessed some sort of missle defense system all that is need is to simply launch more ICBM's than the MDS can defend against.  I guarantee that a few of the MIRV's would still make it to their target.  And if nuclear contamination is an issue there are still conventional munitions whose destructive capability dwarfs anything that was ever used in WW2 or even Viet Nam.  Regardless of the details the concept of using massive armies to destroy an enemy is obselete in the age of push button warfare.

  Also I can understand the Islamic nations childishly wanting to destroy their arch-rival but why Russia ?  Why would it matter to them ?  Natural resources are out of the question as well as Russia is still the largest nation on Earth ( it spans eleven time zones ) and possesses natural resources out the wazzoo, including massive oil reserves within Siberia.   None of this makes sense.

"Most people are ass holes." Jesus of Nazareth


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Natural resources are out of the question as well as Russia is still the largest nation on Earth ( it spans eleven time zones ) and possesses natural resources out the wazzoo, including massive oil reserves within Siberia.   None of this makes sense.

... If memory serves me... didnt the whole soviet union thing collapse, giving rise to many bastard nations? so let us not confuse modern "Russia" with the old "U.S.S.R"

 

What Would Kharn Do?


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3686
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Natural resources are out of the question as well as Russia is still the largest nation on Earth ( it spans eleven time zones ) and possesses natural resources out the wazzoo, including massive oil reserves within Siberia.   None of this makes sense.

... If memory serves me... didnt the whole soviet union thing collapse, giving rise to many bastard nations? so let us not confuse modern "Russia" with the old "U.S.S.R"

 

  I'm aware that the Soviet Union is dissolved that's why I didn't use that phrase.  I suppose I should have referred to them as the CIS ( Commonwealth of Independent States )  but that is a term that is rarely used in the media.  My point remains, Russia / CIS still possesses military capability as well as vast natural resources.  Even with the loss of its client states Russia still spans 11 time zones and remains the largest nation on the planet.

 Edit: I checked CIS on Wiki and revise my incorrect definition. "Russia" will suffice for my arguments.

 

 

"Most people are ass holes." Jesus of Nazareth


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: I'm

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

 I'm aware that the Soviet Union is dissolved that's why I didn't use that phrase.  I suppose I should have referred to them as the CIS ( Commonwealth of Independent States )  but that is a term that is rarely used in the media.  My point remains, Russia / CIS still possesses military capability as well as vast natural resources.  Even with the loss of its client states Russia still spans 11 time zones and remains the largest nation on the planet.

 Edit: I checked CIS on Wiki and revise my incorrect definition.

 

Err... yes, i kinda forced myself to review the whole "map" thing, google isnt really helping >.>

(because the lines in my head arent matching the lines on the screen, damnit!)

 

on the other hand, i got a cheap laugh...

What Would Kharn Do?


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3686
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
  Well, it might be off on

  Well, it might be off on few things.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Who needs ICBM's? China's

Who needs ICBM's? China's right there. I say give them israel. They'll walk over everyone overnight.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3686
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Who needs

Vastet wrote:
Who needs ICBM's? China's right there. I say give them israel. They'll walk over everyone overnight.

  Yes, China is no pushover militarily speaking but I mentioned the Russian Federation because all the prophecy freaks like Hal Lindsey claim Russia, not China, is supposedly going to invade Israel at some future date.  My question still remains...why ?

"Most people are ass holes." Jesus of Nazareth


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Vastet

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Who needs ICBM's? China's right there. I say give them israel. They'll walk over everyone overnight.

  Yes, China is no pushover militarily speaking but I mentioned the Russian Federation because all the prophecy freaks like Hal Lindsey claim Russia, not China, is supposedly going to invade Israel at some future date.  My question still remains...why ?

It's not just any useless piece of desert - it's GOD's useless piece of desert! Smiling

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Documentary Project

There was already a post regarding these individuals.  They believe the world will end on May 21st, 2011.  Here's a CNN link:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/03/06/judgment.day.caravan/index.html?hpt=C2

I think following this cult around and creating a documentary near the 'end' would be very interesting.  I would love to see their reaction on May 22nd, 2011.  Some of these people have left their entire lives behind.  I wonder what becomes of their faith as they realize they were wrong, doing a follow-up a few months later would be cool interesting also.  Here's a quote from the article:

Quote:

My favorite pastime is coon hunting," he says, referring to the raccoons he targets in rural Kansas. "I had to give that up, but this is far more important.

We're not talking about intellectual giants here, but I think something can be learned, or exposed by documenting this.

 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13768
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Maybe they can get NORAD to

Maybe they can get NORAD to track the Rapture like they do Santa.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
I forgot I wrote this and I must

 

say that it was pretty FUCKING (yo, Brian) funny....

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
Posts: 868
Joined: 2008-02-06
User is offlineOffline
I thought you were

I thought you were refferring to this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102757/

 

Which, is also fucking stupid....

 

(But you do get to see Mimi Rogers' Giant Breasteses)


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: say

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

say that it was pretty FUCKING (yo, Brian) funny....

Hey is your intro completly from revelation or other books in the bible as well?

 


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Hi Ymalm

 

Not sure which part of that discourse you're wondering about. It's certainly better written than revelations and includes something completely lacking in the bible - humour.

Unless the entire bible was actually written by Ben Elton's ancestors during a dreary weekend 3000 years ago...in that case the joke is on us.

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
since no one else is getting

since no one else is getting this thread going I might as well.

Have christians figured out what part of the planet jesus will be descending from?


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Temple Mount

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

since no one else is getting this thread going I might as well.

Have christians figured out what part of the planet jesus will be descending from?

 

He's going to descend onto Temple Mount in Jerusalem, pause for hugs at the wailing wall, then grab some olives and hummus in the deli in the first lane on the right opposite the square on the corner.

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Who needs ICBM's? China's right there. I say give them israel. They'll walk over everyone overnight.

  Yes, China is no pushover militarily speaking but I mentioned the Russian Federation because all the prophecy freaks like Hal Lindsey claim Russia, not China, is supposedly going to invade Israel at some future date.  My question still remains...why ?

 

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

since no one else is getting this thread going I might as well.

Have christians figured out what part of the planet jesus will be descending from?

 

He's going to descend onto Temple Mount in Jerusalem, pause for hugs at the wailing wall, then grab some olives and hummus in the deli in the first lane on the right opposite the square on the corner.

 

So when does america see him? How exactly is all this stuff in revaltions supposed to be carried out? Or do christians think that stuff is happening right now?


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Never

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

So when does america see him? How exactly is all this stuff in revaltions supposed to be carried out? Or do christians think that stuff is happening right now?

 

Bear in mind this dumb subjective shit was written by some faux John the Baptist while he was high in Alexandria about 1500 years before America existed. That's the great thing about prophecy. It completely excludes everything that follows after it. As for how it's meant to be carried out, well ymalm, that falls nicely into the category of 'we weren't meant to know'.  

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

So when does america see him? How exactly is all this stuff in revaltions supposed to be carried out? Or do christians think that stuff is happening right now?

 

Bear in mind this dumb subjective shit was written by some faux John the Baptist while he was high in Alexandria about 1500 years before America existed. That's the great thing about prophecy. It completely excludes everything that follows after it. As for how it's meant to be carried out, well ymalm, that falls nicely into the category of 'we weren't meant to know'.  

 

In other words christians dont have a fucking clue what all that stuff about the four horses and jesus having a sword in his mouth and that nation being whore doesnt make any more sense to them?


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
ymalmsteen887

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

So when does america see him? How exactly is all this stuff in revaltions supposed to be carried out? Or do christians think that stuff is happening right now?

 

Bear in mind this dumb subjective shit was written by some faux John the Baptist while he was high in Alexandria about 1500 years before America existed. That's the great thing about prophecy. It completely excludes everything that follows after it. As for how it's meant to be carried out, well ymalm, that falls nicely into the category of 'we weren't meant to know'.  

 

In other words christians dont have a fucking clue what all that stuff about the four horses and jesus having a sword in his mouth and that nation being whore doesnt make any more sense to them?

One of the intersting things about it is that the old testament never mentioned that first of all his name would be jesus that would have helped a bunch and second that he would be killed and then come back to life and then descend into heaven at gods right side(what does that even mean can they not go places) and send the holy spirit to guide his disciples to all understanding and then come back and destroy all the atheists, muslims, jews, hindus, satanists, and any one else who didnt agree with their theology and reword the believers with an eternity of worshipping god.

It seems the old testament was talking about unversal salvation on earth, am I right?


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Pretty much

 

Revelations was not meant to be included in the bible but was added at the last minute because it was so utterly incomprehensible the Council of Nicea was unsure whether it was bullshit or not.

The bible is hillock of baseless assertions written by people with no more knowledge of god than you or I. You have to wonder what their motivations were. Personally I think it was an attempt to circumvent that implacable rule - that there's no such thing as a free lunch.

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Have you guys heard of this

Have you guys heard of this site.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWLCvideos?v=Odfopc9xYHU&feature=pyv&ad=8346141313&kw=&gclid=CLu8ztfRj6gCFYqW7QodlkTWCg

I really think that if christians believe that the trumpets represent events that have happened and will happen then we can falsify the bible.

There is apparently supposed to be great devastation to humanity at the sounding of these seven trumpets.

I love how the first video says the book or revelation is the fathers will to allow us to fully understand the final events that are to take place on earth. If he wanted us to understand he shouldnt have made it so vague.

Do they actaully think literal trumpets will sound?

My grandma thinks the earthquake in japan is part of the warning of the end times but earthquakes have been happeing at this magnitude even in moses(well the time the stories about him were written) time am I right? Why doesnt god cause an earthquake in las vegas since after all its "sin city".


Mechtaur (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Actually...

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

So when does america see him? How exactly is all this stuff in revaltions supposed to be carried out? Or do christians think that stuff is happening right now?

 

Bear in mind this dumb subjective shit was written by some faux John the Baptist while he was high in Alexandria about 1500 years before America existed. That's the great thing about prophecy. It completely excludes everything that follows after it. As for how it's meant to be carried out, well ymalm, that falls nicely into the category of 'we weren't meant to know'.  

 

In other words christians dont have a fucking clue what all that stuff about the four horses and jesus having a sword in his mouth and that nation being whore doesnt make any more sense to them?

One of the intersting things about it is that the old testament never mentioned that first of all his name would be jesus that would have helped a bunch and second that he would be killed and then come back to life and then descend into heaven at gods right side(what does that even mean can they not go places) and send the holy spirit to guide his disciples to all understanding and then come back and destroy all the atheists, muslims, jews, hindus, satanists, and any one else who didnt agree with their theology and reword the believers with an eternity of worshipping god.

It seems the old testament was talking about unversal salvation on earth, am I right?

Actually, yeah. The Old Testament, the Torah, does in fact support universal salvation. The Jewish belief places all who have sinned in a place known as Gehenna, for an amount of time depending on the amount of sins (Up to 12 months). After your time is up, you simply go to Heaven. However, if you have been an absolute monster, you are annihilated instead. Remember, Jewish and Christian beliefs are very different.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
ymalmsteen887 wrote:Have you

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Have you guys heard of this site.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWLCvideos?v=Odfopc9xYHU&feature=pyv&ad=8346141313&kw=&gclid=CLu8ztfRj6gCFYqW7QodlkTWCg

I really think that if christians believe that the trumpets represent events that have happened and will happen then we can falsify the bible.

There is apparently supposed to be great devastation to humanity at the sounding of these seven trumpets.

I love how the first video says the book or revelation is the fathers will to allow us to fully understand the final events that are to take place on earth. If he wanted us to understand he shouldnt have made it so vague.

Do they actaully think literal trumpets will sound?

My grandma thinks the earthquake in japan is part of the warning of the end times but earthquakes have been happeing at this magnitude even in moses(well the time the stories about him were written) time am I right? Why doesnt god cause an earthquake in las vegas since after all its "sin city".

The whole bible is vague, it allows the religious to make up shit in their head to fill in the blanks.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Bahana
atheist
Bahana's picture
Posts: 79
Joined: 2006-08-04
User is offlineOffline
The funny thing is the

The funny thing is the Christians who think there will be a rapture almost always think the end is near. They just keep applying verses to fit in with the times they live in. Then the end doesn't come and they just do the same thing over and over.


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Bahana wrote:The funny thing

Bahana wrote:

The funny thing is the Christians who think there will be a rapture almost always think the end is near. They just keep applying verses to fit in with the times they live in. Then the end doesn't come and they just do the same thing over and over.

What I think is interesting is that even if it was real jesus should not want to associate with most of his followers. Its like how some christians say they are christan because there is evidence but some christans like my grandma and other older people say they dont need evidence thats a tool of the devil and shit like that. Does that mean god will only reward the christians who have reason to believe and not just because of fear of death or hell? It can't be both either god cares about reason or he doesnt. Also I can see that all of the bible is based on this whole thing about us deserving death but the story of adam and eve is unjustifed reason for punishing them and plus there is no reason for their descendents to have to suffer and you know what else all adam had to do was not have sex with eve to have kids why didnt he just do that. Plus he could have just killed each kid he had until they died there was no reason for them to multiple plus didnt they see that what god did to them was a setup I guess they were dumb but then again tha kinda gives away that it was written by men are we really to believe that the way thta conversation went in the garden actually happened its just one ignorant person takling to another(god included). Also why do animals have to die. Plus why do new humans have to be created from previous humans I guess that means we are not individual created beings since its up to your parents to have kids and if your destined to be born than that means that everyhting is simply a script playing out in front of god since he would have had to dictate all the things that led to each individual human being being born. Couldnt he just make all the different people he wanted right then why just two humans what purpose does that serve in the story. Plus if that were true than they couldnt have been white people the way they are portrayed in pictures since dark skinned people were probably first, right? Not saying there is something wrong with the first people being dark just that jesus is portrayed as white which doesnt make sense if people were darker starting out(not enough time if its only been 4000 years) and creating differnt skin colors causes racism and god could have done away with that if he had just made everyone the same not that being differnt is bad but apparently alot of people have thought so through the ages.

I guess I was just ranting trying to show just how fucking stupid these stories are and that anyone even takes them serious. I can honestly say even though I used to be a christian that feared god I never took these stories at face value I was always suspcious of them actually being true. I think if you were never a questioning christian than you will probably never give up your beliefs cause your brain just isnt geared toward critical thinking.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Yeah Ymalm

 

You answer your own question at the end there. I know how tough it is to think through this when you have a fake christian reality inside your head constantly tripping you over.

You have to start out again with the premise that nothing is true that cannot be observed to be so. All else is an assertion that awaits proof.

Once you rule out the possibility of god then you can stop agonising over the stupidity of christian and muslim doctrine and focus on things we can know. 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: You

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

You answer your own question at the end there. I know how tough it is to think through this when you have a fake christian reality inside your head constantly tripping you over.

You have to start out again with the premise that nothing is true that cannot be observed to be so. All else is an assertion that awaits proof.

Once you rule out the possibility of god then you can stop agonising over the stupidity of christian and muslim doctrine and focus on things we can know. 

 

Yeah I think that says it perfectly about the fake reality. I am always second guessing myself. My whole life I related everything back to a god that I talked to and asked for help all the time plus I was very much a anti social person(not by choice I was just always afriad of people) and I guess got comfort from god but also would feel huge amounts of guilt for looking at porn and having wild sexual fantasies. Some of it was guilt and some of it was thinking I could never have that kind of life and that heaven sounded boring(bascially god was a kill joy). I wish I had been an atheist when I was real young I might not have developed all these phobias. I would have had no trouble pretending to blaspheme a holy spirit. Thought crime always bothered me cause say the unforgivvable sin was to jump off a building and land in water(just saying) that requires effort to do and so if you know not to do it it would be easy not to do. But to say that you can't think sexual thoughts period when you are a sexual being and that you cant curse gods name even though the thought will come into your head is like a setup. I used to when I was in earlier high school used to get random thoughts like "fuck god" in my head and it would just repeat over in my head and it scared the shit out of me. I asked my dad if it was a sin to have thoughts in your head that were sinful and he said as long as you dont act upon them(or something like that I dont remember) I didnt tell him what I said I thought he would think there was something wrong with me. Than some years later is when I learned about the unforgivable sin and said the same thing in my head except this time with the holy spirit instead of god which scared me even more.  I told my mom about it and she said it was just a thought. It was weeks and it was still bothering me and then I went to a church with my mom and this preacher said that god hadnt left you and still loves you and I took it that he was talking to me. But looking back at it why did god let me go through those horrible feelings if it wasnt true. One time when I was in high school and having troubel mentally I asked god to show himself to me and as I was crying my dog came up to me(as was in the middle of a field and far away from my house) and put his paw and my knee and I felt better and started crying out of happiness(yeah I was hardcore emotional about that stuff). I know look back on it like my dog just came up to me because he heard me crying probably and that preacher was just saying the same old jargon he does all the time and I would have interpreted anything he said as takling to me. I guess I feel when I learned intellecutal why christianity couldnt be true I felt that all those moments didnt make sense. i guess I just have a hard time coming up with natural reasons for all that stuff happening. Plus my grandma said that I would never have peace as long as I stayed away from god which was a big placebo on me. I also have this irrational thought that if I deconvert someone from christianity that the wrath of god will be on me which doesnt make sense cause if I converted them its because I got through to them cause they see that is isnt real and thus there is nothing wrong with that. Its almost like god isnt real unless I do something bad. Its a real mind fuck.
 

Do you think that it is unhealthy that I hate the people from my church for all the damage they done to me. I can't stand my cousin cause if he had remained an atheist we could have been an intellectual force to spread reason and evidence and maybe convert other people in our families. But he was only an atheist cause he liked to drink and listen to heavy metal and I guess he wanted to be sinful and just brush god off. Basically like lee strobel reasons for being an atheist. he told me that god revealed himself to him and that he hoped that god would reveal himself to me someday. Serioulsy i cant fucking stand sometimes I wished when we die it could be shown to you that you were wrong I would love to rub it in his face.

i know this is a lot of text but maybe you guys will have some advice for me if you understand where I am coming from.

I dont feel that I am beyond repair and its not really that bad but sometimes these feelings of fear get really intense or I feel that I cant do something cause its a sin. Like I am a bad person cause I want to have sex before marriage. I try to justify in my mind why it isnt wrong and say marriage is just a human construct and sex is one of your primary functions.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Dude, I would totally chill about

 

Sex before marriage. It's obviously bothering you. Forget about it completely. It's normal for a young bloke to be climbing the fucking walls. 

I'm older than you so I know that oftentimes girls make tactical investments in intimacy (guys too) so just charging around shagging people means you might hurt the feelings of others. That to me is the wrong part of random sex. Having said this, whatever wanking you do is your own business and the chance the universe will hold you accountable is zero. 

I would not bother to hate people for believing in god tho' I struggle with my own animosity and look forward to the time I just feel pity for people who live their lives according to cult rules. The main thing as a human is not to hurt other people and if you follow this rule while looking after yourself then you shouldn't go too wrong. 

Yeah - dogs are great the way they feel empathy. They are emotionally intelligent because they live in groups and share parenting duties. Dogs and wolves will often comfort the victims of a fight in their own packs so it's not surprise your dog comforted you. 

As for the way you are railing about god doing this and god doing that - believe me - when you stop doing this the world will make more sense. god is not to blame. god is not there at all. The world makes a lot more sense when you realise it is controlled by random forces that while constant and predictable to some degree are mindless, without malice or anthrocentric direction. Things just are. It's a mistake to apply your human-ness to lifeless objects or to reify (elevate to divinity) human concepts. 

Do this for me Ymalm. Imagine the world say, ten thousand years ago. At that time there was no god of the type we know, no jesus, no hell, no heaven no angels, no anything. The world has been around for more than 4 billion years without morality and when all the humans are dead the world will go on in this universe with no morality. All the things of religion are products of the human brain. We are so inward-looking we fail to see we are part of a reality bigger and stranger than our minds can comfortably imagine. But there's a delight and a freedom in knowing the real truth is out there. 

I recommend you get your hands on Carl Sagan's Cosmos. It's not a point-by-point destruction of godliness, it's just a way of looking at the universe that might divert your focus from the unreality of dogma to the awesomeness of what can be shown to be real. The enormity of the universe. The complexity and simplicity of biochemistry. Another great book is Carl Zimmer's Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea. Zimmer is a superb science writer and his other books Parasite Rex and Soul made Flesh are equally good and equally relevant. 

It behoves on you, Ymalm, to start feeding your brain the ideas of great minds. You are fighting monsters bare-handed. We've all been there. Don't keep running in circles. Your freedom awaits you. 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: Sex

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

Sex before marriage. It's obviously bothering you. Forget about it completely. It's normal for a young bloke to be climbing the fucking walls. 

I'm older than you so I know that oftentimes girls make tactical investments in intimacy (guys too) so just charging around shagging people means you might hurt the feelings of others. That to me is the wrong part of random sex. Having said this, whatever wanking you do is your own business and the chance the universe will hold you accountable is zero. 

I would not bother to hate people for believing in god tho' I struggle with my own animosity and look forward to the time I just feel pity for people who live their lives according to cult rules. The main thing as a human is not to hurt other people and if you follow this rule while looking after yourself then you shouldn't go too wrong. 

Yeah - dogs are great the way they feel empathy. They are emotionally intelligent because they live in groups and share parenting duties. Dogs and wolves will often comfort the victims of a fight in their own packs so it's not surprise your dog comforted you. 

As for the way you are railing about god doing this and god doing that - believe me - when you stop doing this the world will make more sense. god is not to blame. god is not there at all. The world makes a lot more sense when you realise it is controlled by random forces that while constant and predictable to some degree are mindless, without malice or anthrocentric direction. Things just are. It's a mistake to apply your human-ness to lifeless objects or to reify (elevate to divinity) human concepts. 

Do this for me Ymalm. Imagine the world say, ten thousand years ago. At that time there was no god of the type we know, no jesus, no hell, no heaven no angels, no anything. The world has been around for more than 4 billion years without morality and when all the humans are dead the world will go on in this universe with no morality. All the things of religion are products of the human brain. We are so inward-looking we fail to see we are part of a reality bigger and stranger than our minds can comfortably imagine. But there's a delight and a freedom in knowing the real truth is out there. 

I recommend you get your hands on Carl Sagan's Cosmos. It's not a point-by-point destruction of godliness, it's just a way of looking at the universe that might divert your focus from the unreality of dogma to the awesomeness of what can be shown to be real. The enormity of the universe. The complexity and simplicity of biochemistry. Another great book is Carl Zimmer's Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea. Zimmer is a superb science writer and his other books Parasite Rex and Soul made Flesh are equally good and equally relevant. 

It behoves on you, Ymalm, to start feeding your brain the ideas of great minds. You are fighting monsters bare-handed. We've all been there. Don't keep running in circles. Your freedom awaits you. 

 

 

 

Thanks for the recommendations.

Also I dont want to hurt someone or trick them into having sex. I would only want to have sex with someone who was also loooking for a casual hook up.

Back to revalation. Where would christianity be if the book of revalation had never been added? It seems they would be left with nothing but vague statements from jesus about coming before his disiplces lifetimes were up and it probably would have ended sooner.


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

 

It behoves on you, Ymalm, to start feeding your brain the ideas of great minds. You are fighting monsters bare-handed. We've all been there. Don't keep running in circles. Your freedom awaits you. 

 

 

 

i agree with you and thanks. I really want to ask you what you mean by your freedom awaits you? I dont understand why I need to constantly be trying to find reason why the bible isnt true I have plenty of reasons and already know its bullshit. Yeah my mind gets very tormented sometimes mentally about this stuff sometimes I feel invincible and laugh at people who believe it but sometimes it doesnt feel so strong but other times I think hmm but not without anxiouness. I think the only way to fix my brain is to have a lobotomy. I dont believe in that depression is something some people just have but rather is influenced by their upbringing. i turned out so different from my siblings. My sister is a jesus freak and my younger brother grew up when my dad stoped going to church so it didnt affect him, I wouldnt even call him an atheist except by definition usually when I think of atheist I think of people who stand up against religion which is how I wish I was. I really need a plan to overcome this.


Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
Posts: 196
Joined: 2011-03-14
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:I'm

Atheistextremist wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of the dumb shit due to go down when The Rapture takes place - it's really fucking stupid. Immediately after The Rapture, a moment when god scoops his living followers up to heaven for their own safety, he begins executing judgments against unbelievers, during a period called the Tribulation.  There's not a lot of good information to be had about the tribulation except that it will be really, really bad. All gardens will be eaten by slugs, every song will sound like Bucks Fizz. Coffee will taste like it does at the Tarana Hotel. It will be impossible to pay for a decent breakfast. You'll never get a seat on public transport. Fly feet will be twice as sticky. Newsapers will read like the sunday paper every day and the whole world will wear string-topped shoes. Worst of all, the only car available will be the automatic prius in puce. 

At the end of the Tribulation - and this is the good part - the nations of the world, obviously sick to death of hearing about this shit, will attack Israel (booorrrrringggg), and horror of horrors, that tosser jesus christ will physically return, leading the 'armies of heaven'. At the Battle of Armageddon this group of total wankers will destroy everyone who is not a believer (including, and with mind numbing irony, all the israelis) by bashing their heads in with copies of the scottish psalter.

Then, live on broadband digital television for the benefit of a global audience, Satan will be bound, and that poser jesus will set up the Millennial Kingdom, surprisingly headquartered in Jerusalem instead of near a decent beach. jesus and the saints (idolatry anyone?) will then rule over the nations of the Earth for a thousand years. The amount of hymn singing and arse kissing (and bomb chucking by the PLO) likely to go on during this period scarcely bears thinking about. 

But wait - Armageddon was just the preclimax and there's another spasm coming - during this 1000-year period people will be born who are not loyal to christ - but secretly. Just like a good sci-fi action movie these bastards give the lord a chance to dust off the light sabre of his undying love and shove it up the arses of his ant-like creations one more time. Yippeeeeeeee. So, at the end of the thousand-year period, god will release Satan and let him tempt those who inhabit the Earth into having one more fight with him so he can prove how tough he is for good and all! Thanks for all the freewill, god, you complete fucking arsehole.  

A large group, tempted by satan, will take up arms against the lord, including a gang of teenagers in the rural USA called the wolverines. But surprise, surprise, they will be defeated. Then, comes the part we've been waiting for. For those who hate standing still for long periods listening to boring shit, judgment day is going to be worse than clothes shopping with your girlfriend. That longest day, christ will judge all who have ever lived, giving rewards to some and punishment to others. All sins will be known - whether this means jesus is going to tease a confession of every last wank out of us remains unknown, but probable. Those who lost the fight against the toughest kid in school and all the poor sods found not to love jesus or to have jacked off over a fosseys catalogue will then be cast into the Lake of Fire.  

After that, god will destroy heaven and Earth because they have been polluted by sin. He will create a new heaven and a new Earth, put those who were saved on the new Earth, and rule it forever.

I can hardly wait... 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Bible wasn't talking about the modern nation of Israel. It actually was prophesying about Israel the band.

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
What I meant was

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

 

It behoves on you, Ymalm, to start feeding your brain the ideas of great minds. You are fighting monsters bare-handed. We've all been there. Don't keep running in circles. Your freedom awaits you. 

 

 

i agree with you and thanks. I really want to ask you what you mean by your freedom awaits you? I dont understand why I need to constantly be trying to find reason why the bible isnt true I have plenty of reasons and already know its bullshit. Yeah my mind gets very tormented sometimes mentally about this stuff sometimes I feel invincible and laugh at people who believe it but sometimes it doesnt feel so strong but other times I think hmm but not without anxiouness. I think the only way to fix my brain is to have a lobotomy.

 

your freedom from fear. It took me a long, long time to escape. My experience and the one you are going through right now are material proof of the damage caused by religious dogma. You don't need a lobotomy but you do need to recalibrate what it is that you consider evidence so you can restablish what is true and discard or disarm the threat christianity is holding over you.

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

 

It behoves on you, Ymalm, to start feeding your brain the ideas of great minds. You are fighting monsters bare-handed. We've all been there. Don't keep running in circles. Your freedom awaits you. 

 

 

i agree with you and thanks. I really want to ask you what you mean by your freedom awaits you? I dont understand why I need to constantly be trying to find reason why the bible isnt true I have plenty of reasons and already know its bullshit. Yeah my mind gets very tormented sometimes mentally about this stuff sometimes I feel invincible and laugh at people who believe it but sometimes it doesnt feel so strong but other times I think hmm but not without anxiouness. I think the only way to fix my brain is to have a lobotomy.

 

your freedom from fear. It took me a long, long time to escape. My experience and the one you are going through right now are material proof of the damage caused by religious dogma. You don't need a lobotomy but you do need to recalibrate what it is that you consider evidence so you can restablish what is true and discard or disarm the threat christianity is holding over you.

 

 

Yeah what you say is very true. Could you give me your knowledge of how the brain makes decisions or produces thoughts? I feel alot of this anxiety will go away if I can understand how my thoughts work. I still feel like blasphemy is a bad thing even if you dont mean. Or sometimes I trick myself into thinking I meant it even though thats impossible yet the rationale side want over take well it does but not as much as I would like. This kinda of guilt is just a waste I could say "fuck richard dawkins" or "fuck Thor" and I wouldnt care they are just thoughts inside my head and I need to fully relaize that so I can stop tormenting myself. If I had full control over my brain I would have never thought a single thought but the mind wonders. Its like you said that blasphemy is justified and the rationale side of me agrees but the other fearful side thinks about it differently.

 


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Dude

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

 

It behoves on you, Ymalm, to start feeding your brain the ideas of great minds. You are fighting monsters bare-handed. We've all been there. Don't keep running in circles. Your freedom awaits you. 

 

 

i agree with you and thanks. I really want to ask you what you mean by your freedom awaits you? I dont understand why I need to constantly be trying to find reason why the bible isnt true I have plenty of reasons and already know its bullshit. Yeah my mind gets very tormented sometimes mentally about this stuff sometimes I feel invincible and laugh at people who believe it but sometimes it doesnt feel so strong but other times I think hmm but not without anxiouness. I think the only way to fix my brain is to have a lobotomy.

 

your freedom from fear. It took me a long, long time to escape. My experience and the one you are going through right now are material proof of the damage caused by religious dogma. You don't need a lobotomy but you do need to recalibrate what it is that you consider evidence so you can restablish what is true and discard or disarm the threat christianity is holding over you.

 

 

Yeah what you say is very true. Could you give me your knowledge of how the brain makes decisions or produces thoughts? I feel alot of this anxiety will go away if I can understand how my thoughts work. I still feel like blasphemy is a bad thing even if you dont mean. Or sometimes I trick myself into thinking I meant it even though thats impossible yet the rationale side want over take well it does but not as much as I would like. This kinda of guilt is just a waste I could say "fuck richard dawkins" or "fuck Thor" and I wouldnt care they are just thoughts inside my head and I need to fully relaize that so I can stop tormenting myself. If I had full control over my brain I would have never thought a single thought but the mind wonders. Its like you said that blasphemy is justified and the rationale side of me agrees but the other fearful side thinks about it differently.

 

 

no one understands how the brain works. There are books out there but neuroscience is in its infancy. The human brain is very complicated. By the time you are old we will understand the brain better but this science has only just begun. There are good books available but they are feeling around the edges. Personally, I like The Ego Tunnel

Doing some web searches on this is likely to be useful. There's more information out there than you think and new studies come up regularly on Science Daily so keep an eye out. You are right. Guilt over thought crimes like this is a waste of time and effort. There's no god to hear you blaspheme. It's all time better spent working or going for a walk or listening to music or something. 

I don't think understanding the way your mind works will help. The facts are this. There is no sensible definition of a supernatural god. There can be no coherent facts about a supernatural god that are not entirely invented by humans. In the absence of god there is no blasphemy. There is just Ymalm's brain worrying about threats made when it was too young to defend itself. 

As I said earlier, you need to establish a standard of evidence and if things fail to meet this standard you need to accept that they are not true or unproven until further notice. 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
Posts: 196
Joined: 2011-03-14
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:I'm

Atheistextremist wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of the dumb shit due to go down when The Rapture takes place - it's really fucking stupid. Immediately after The Rapture, a moment when god scoops his living followers up to heaven for their own safety, he begins executing judgments against unbelievers, during a period called the Tribulation.  There's not a lot of good information to be had about the tribulation except that it will be really, really bad. All gardens will be eaten by slugs, every song will sound like Bucks Fizz. Coffee will taste like it does at the Tarana Hotel. It will be impossible to pay for a decent breakfast. You'll never get a seat on public transport. Fly feet will be twice as sticky. Newsapers will read like the sunday paper every day and the whole world will wear string-topped shoes. Worst of all, the only car available will be the automatic prius in puce. 

At the end of the Tribulation - and this is the good part - the nations of the world, obviously sick to death of hearing about this shit, will attack Israel (booorrrrringggg), and horror of horrors, that tosser jesus christ will physically return, leading the 'armies of heaven'. At the Battle of Armageddon this group of total wankers will destroy everyone who is not a believer (including, and with mind numbing irony, all the israelis) by bashing their heads in with copies of the scottish psalter.

Then, live on broadband digital television for the benefit of a global audience, Satan will be bound, and that poser jesus will set up the Millennial Kingdom, surprisingly headquartered in Jerusalem instead of near a decent beach. jesus and the saints (idolatry anyone?) will then rule over the nations of the Earth for a thousand years. The amount of hymn singing and arse kissing (and bomb chucking by the PLO) likely to go on during this period scarcely bears thinking about. 

But wait - Armageddon was just the preclimax and there's another spasm coming - during this 1000-year period people will be born who are not loyal to christ - but secretly. Just like a good sci-fi action movie these bastards give the lord a chance to dust off the light sabre of his undying love and shove it up the arses of his ant-like creations one more time. Yippeeeeeeee. So, at the end of the thousand-year period, god will release Satan and let him tempt those who inhabit the Earth into having one more fight with him so he can prove how tough he is for good and all! Thanks for all the freewill, god, you complete fucking arsehole.  

A large group, tempted by satan, will take up arms against the lord, including a gang of teenagers in the rural USA called the wolverines. But surprise, surprise, they will be defeated. Then, comes the part we've been waiting for. For those who hate standing still for long periods listening to boring shit, judgment day is going to be worse than clothes shopping with your girlfriend. That longest day, christ will judge all who have ever lived, giving rewards to some and punishment to others. All sins will be known - whether this means jesus is going to tease a confession of every last wank out of us remains unknown, but probable. Those who lost the fight against the toughest kid in school and all the poor sods found not to love jesus or to have jacked off over a fosseys catalogue will then be cast into the Lake of Fire.  

After that, god will destroy heaven and Earth because they have been polluted by sin. He will create a new heaven and a new Earth, put those who were saved on the new Earth, and rule it forever.

I can hardly wait... 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So who's version of the Rapture is going to happen anyway? The Catholic version where the Antichrist takes over the world for 1000 years, then the rapture happens. Or the Baptist version where the Rapture happens before the Antichrist comes to town?

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
I was raised on the baptist

 

version and made to watch that spooky thriller A Thief in the Night when I was about 7. Personally, I hope the antichrist obama takes over the world, imposing international medicare for all. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


michael607
Posts: 2
Joined: 2011-04-24
User is offlineOffline
The Rapture

You can't view "theism" as having a unified belief system. There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 38,000 Christian denominations and most hold opposing views of scriptural interpretation or there wouldn't be 38,000 Christian denominations. For example, A Calvinist (Reformed Theology) in general does not believe in a rapture and many are either full or partial preterists. I will say that it is a heck of a money maker for Hal Lindsey, Tim LaHaye and others who capitalize on it's fear power. I hope this provides some information that can be useful to you.


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

version and made to watch that spooky thriller A Thief in the Night when I was about 7. Personally, I hope the antichrist obama takes over the world, imposing international medicare for all. 

I have been doing research and I am pretty much convinced that there are no prophecies about jesus in the old testament except for a few parts I dont understand like HE was wounded for OUR transgressions. Who is the he and our in that passage for example. but I think what would be the most helpful is if I knew when the blasphemy passage was wirtten for example they say the e[istles were written first so that means that jesus most certainly did not say that blasphemy was unforgivable since no one would remember that. So who added it if jesus had actually said it it would have probably came attached with it an explanaiton as to what it was exactly so the people who wrote it later had some agenda cause its not in the book of john for some reason. Christians say its saying the work of the holy spirit is of the devil but that doesnt make sense cause if you believe in the theology of christianity satan and the holy spirit are seperate things and thus would be cognitivaly impoosible to do. But the surrounding context doesnt show that its dying in unbelief. So when do you think it was added and by what group of people. ALso god couldnt have said in genesis that "us" refered to the trinity cause you cant talk to yourself and why would blaspheming yahweh or jesus be forgivable and not the holy crow what was the theological significance?

 


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
ymalmsteen887

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

version and made to watch that spooky thriller A Thief in the Night when I was about 7. Personally, I hope the antichrist obama takes over the world, imposing international medicare for all. 

I have been doing research and I am pretty much convinced that there are no prophecies about jesus in the old testament except for a few parts I dont understand like HE was wounded for OUR transgressions. Who is the he and our in that passage for example. but I think what would be the most helpful is if I knew when the blasphemy passage was wirtten for example they say the e[istles were written first so that means that jesus most certainly did not say that blasphemy was unforgivable since no one would remember that. So who added it if jesus had actually said it it would have probably came attached with it an explanaiton as to what it was exactly so the people who wrote it later had some agenda cause its not in the book of john for some reason. Christians say its saying the work of the holy spirit is of the devil but that doesnt make sense cause if you believe in the theology of christianity satan and the holy spirit are seperate things and thus would be cognitivaly impoosible to do. But the surrounding context doesnt show that its dying in unbelief. So when do you think it was added and by what group of people. ALso god couldnt have said in genesis that "us" refered to the trinity cause you cant talk to yourself and why would blaspheming yahweh or jesus be forgivable and not the holy crow what was the theological significance?

 

Hey atheistext could you help me out on this question? If the epsitles were written first than that means who ever wrote the gospels had some reason to have jesus utter those words even though there is no good context surrouding the verse.

 


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Yeah sure

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

version and made to watch that spooky thriller A Thief in the Night when I was about 7. Personally, I hope the antichrist obama takes over the world, imposing international medicare for all. 

I have been doing research and I am pretty much convinced that there are no prophecies about jesus in the old testament except for a few parts I dont understand like HE was wounded for OUR transgressions. Who is the he and our in that passage for example. but I think what would be the most helpful is if I knew when the blasphemy passage was wirtten for example they say the e[istles were written first so that means that jesus most certainly did not say that blasphemy was unforgivable since no one would remember that. So who added it if jesus had actually said it it would have probably came attached with it an explanaiton as to what it was exactly so the people who wrote it later had some agenda cause its not in the book of john for some reason. Christians say its saying the work of the holy spirit is of the devil but that doesnt make sense cause if you believe in the theology of christianity satan and the holy spirit are seperate things and thus would be cognitivaly impoosible to do. But the surrounding context doesnt show that its dying in unbelief. So when do you think it was added and by what group of people. ALso god couldnt have said in genesis that "us" refered to the trinity cause you cant talk to yourself and why would blaspheming yahweh or jesus be forgivable and not the holy crow what was the theological significance?

 

Hey atheistext could you help me out on this question? If the epsitles were written first than that means who ever wrote the gospels had some reason to have jesus utter those words even though there is no good context surrouding the verse.

 

 

The Pauline Epistles clearly indicate Paul had never met Jesus, had never heard of his ministry - Paul does not seem to me to think Jesus was actually a person. I think this suggests that the Epistles predate the gospels. Given this, there's a template for a personification of the Pauline jesus that could be followed by later authors...

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13768
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
ymalmsteen887 wrote:Have you

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Have you guys heard of this site.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWLCvideos?v=Odfopc9xYHU&feature=pyv&ad=8346141313&kw=&gclid=CLu8ztfRj6gCFYqW7QodlkTWCg

I really think that if christians believe that the trumpets represent events that have happened and will happen then we can falsify the bible.

There is apparently supposed to be great devastation to humanity at the sounding of these seven trumpets.

I love how the first video says the book or revelation is the fathers will to allow us to fully understand the final events that are to take place on earth. If he wanted us to understand he shouldnt have made it so vague.

Do they actaully think literal trumpets will sound?

My grandma thinks the earthquake in japan is part of the warning of the end times but earthquakes have been happeing at this magnitude even in moses(well the time the stories about him were written) time am I right? Why doesnt god cause an earthquake in las vegas since after all its "sin city".

Every inch of this planet is subject to earthquakes, it is just that the more severe ones are felt because they happen around fault lines. Yellowstone is sitting on one giant volcano and over time as the mantle wears down, it can and will cause cracks that eventually can allow the volcano to blow it's top. No one knows when, but it will eventually.

And right in the middle of Virgina, I slept through a 3.9 if I remember the magnitude correctly.

Nature is far more awesome in it's destruction in reality than the stupid comic book villains written in antiquity to explain nature.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

version and made to watch that spooky thriller A Thief in the Night when I was about 7. Personally, I hope the antichrist obama takes over the world, imposing international medicare for all. 

I have been doing research and I am pretty much convinced that there are no prophecies about jesus in the old testament except for a few parts I dont understand like HE was wounded for OUR transgressions. Who is the he and our in that passage for example. but I think what would be the most helpful is if I knew when the blasphemy passage was wirtten for example they say the e[istles were written first so that means that jesus most certainly did not say that blasphemy was unforgivable since no one would remember that. So who added it if jesus had actually said it it would have probably came attached with it an explanaiton as to what it was exactly so the people who wrote it later had some agenda cause its not in the book of john for some reason. Christians say its saying the work of the holy spirit is of the devil but that doesnt make sense cause if you believe in the theology of christianity satan and the holy spirit are seperate things and thus would be cognitivaly impoosible to do. But the surrounding context doesnt show that its dying in unbelief. So when do you think it was added and by what group of people. ALso god couldnt have said in genesis that "us" refered to the trinity cause you cant talk to yourself and why would blaspheming yahweh or jesus be forgivable and not the holy crow what was the theological significance?

 

Hey atheistext could you help me out on this question? If the epsitles were written first than that means who ever wrote the gospels had some reason to have jesus utter those words even though there is no good context surrouding the verse.

 

 

The Pauline Epistles clearly indicate Paul had never met Jesus, had never heard of his ministry - Paul does not seem to me to think Jesus was actually a person. I think this suggests that the Epistles predate the gospels. Given this, there's a template for a personification of the Pauline jesus that could be followed by later authors...

 

Thanks for replying but you didnt completely address what I said. Also I have been doing great for awhile and recently that fear feeling comes back and I start panicking. I was reading something about the book of daneil and was like shit he refers to a son of man. Now I have to debunk this. Basically it goes like this I get confidence in knowing that it isnt real and then sometimes I dont feel that way yet I still know it can't be real. I hate that I feel I have to debunk new things tha come up. I have no reason to feel guilty for blasphemy even if I did mean it If I had a good reason. Its just some stupid shit people made up that has nothing to do with reality. They were just trying to dictate how societies behaved or have order or even complete control. Why want my mind just move on. I feel I have experienced that moment of relief yet it comes back.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Sorry to not cover all your territory

 

I got lost with work and stuff - will have another look and get back to you. And yes, I know how it feels when the fear comes back again and again and again. You have to accept that it will continue to come back for a while - that's the impact mental abuse has on kids - you are living with traumatic stress disorder and you don't realise it. But I can promise you that in time that pain will go away and you'll be able to look at this stuff with a different mindset. Can you see how strange it is that your reaction to your situation is fear? You don't love god, you don't miss having him around, instead you are terrified of what he will do to you. What sort of relationship is this to have with some one who loves you? It's macabre.

Again, you need to realise that you need to arm your mind with knowledge and with a way of thinking that has structure. It sounds to me like you have a lot of people around you telling you things and you are alone facing their dogma without a lot of comprehension of the alternatives. The first book you should read is Victor Stenger's God: The Failed Hypothesis. This is a straightforward book that covers all the basics in a way that is easy to comprehend that you can refer to often. Pay the 15 bucks and buy it on Amazon - it's worth it. 

And post specific questions in new threads so you can get help from guys like TG Baker, JGadfly and JohnPaul. These guys have solid bible and will nail the specifics for you. When it comes to clear thinking about what can and can't be known, what does and does not constitute evidence, keep an eye on BobSpence's posts. Don't let these god people lead you off into a land of assertion and threat that's devoid of all cogent evidence. 

And take it easy, mate. 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


ymalmsteen887
Posts: 306
Joined: 2011-02-04
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: I

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

I got lost with work and stuff - will have another look and get back to you. And yes, I know how it feels when the fear comes back again and again and again. You have to accept that it will continue to come back for a while - that's the impact mental abuse has on kids - you are living with traumatic stress disorder and you don't realise it. But I can promise you that in time that pain will go away and you'll be able to look at this stuff with a different mindset. Can you see how strange it is that your reaction to your situation is fear? You don't love god, you don't miss having him around, instead you are terrified of what he will do to you. What sort of relationship is this to have with some one who loves you? It's macabre.

Again, you need to realise that you need to arm your mind with knowledge and with a way of thinking that has structure. It sounds to me like you have a lot of people around you telling you things and you are alone facing their dogma without a lot of comprehension of the alternatives. The first book you should read is Victor Stenger's God: The Failed Hypothesis. This is a straightforward book that covers all the basics in a way that is easy to comprehend that you can refer to often. Pay the 15 bucks and buy it on Amazon - it's worth it. 

And post specific questions in new threads so you can get help from guys like TG Baker, JGadfly and JohnPaul. These guys have solid bible and will nail the specifics for you. When it comes to clear thinking about what can and can't be known, what does and does not constitute evidence, keep an eye on BobSpence's posts. Don't let these god people lead you off into a land of assertion and threat that's devoid of all cogent evidence. 

And take it easy, mate. 

 

I notice that my attacks come back when I forget the reasons why its a shame. I need to build a defensive wall in my mind. When I have a conversation with a christain and they put me in a corner it bothers me not because they have convinced me of anything but because I couldnt rebuttal it at the time. Thats why I ask questions why they wrote what they did, the more natural explanations I have for what they meant in the central doctrines the more my confidence increases. Like for example the book of levticus is dealing with aculture and threir guidelines and restrictions to maintain a cohesive society. What use in the modern world does not bathing a baby goat in its mothers milk or how your allowed to beat your slave. If i knew where all the shit came from in the new teastament came from it would ease my stress. Like obvioulsy jesus(or the writer) couldnt have really did that stuff like waling on water. He couldnt have believed the world was comiong to the end what data did he have to go off of that would make him think the end of the world was coming. There was nothing in jewish mythology to suggest such a thing. So what was their purpose?

. The more man made the bible appears to me the less I think about it and think christians are ridiculous. and are simply believing what was instilled in them not because there is any reason what so ever to believe its true.


BethK
atheist
BethK's picture
Posts: 43
Joined: 2011-02-27
User is offlineOffline
ymalmsteen887

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

version and made to watch that spooky thriller A Thief in the Night when I was about 7. Personally, I hope the antichrist obama takes over the world, imposing international medicare for all. 

I have been doing research and I am pretty much convinced that there are no prophecies about jesus in the old testament except for a few parts I dont understand like HE was wounded for OUR transgressions. Who is the he and our in that passage for example. but I think what would be the most helpful is if I knew when the blasphemy passage was wirtten for example they say the e[istles were written first so that means that jesus most certainly did not say that blasphemy was unforgivable since no one would remember that. So who added it if jesus had actually said it it would have probably came attached with it an explanaiton as to what it was exactly so the people who wrote it later had some agenda cause its not in the book of john for some reason. Christians say its saying the work of the holy spirit is of the devil but that doesnt make sense cause if you believe in the theology of christianity satan and the holy spirit are seperate things and thus would be cognitivaly impoosible to do. But the surrounding context doesnt show that its dying in unbelief. So when do you think it was added and by what group of people. ALso god couldnt have said in genesis that "us" refered to the trinity cause you cant talk to yourself and why would blaspheming yahweh or jesus be forgivable and not the holy crow what was the theological significance?

 

Hey atheistext could you help me out on this question? If the epsitles were written first than that means who ever wrote the gospels had some reason to have jesus utter those words even though there is no good context surrouding the verse.

 

There is a good amount of evidence that the epistles were written before the Gospels.

 

The fact is that no one bothered to write down the facts of Jesus' ministry. Much of his life is not written about at all in the cannonical gospels. The gospels as written seem to indicate that Jesus could write - he was writing in the dirt at the stoning of the adulteress, and he is addressed as "Rabbi" which is a clear indication that he could write - plus that he was married, but that's another can of worms. So, why did no one bother to save anything he wrote, if he were that important?

 

What we have more closely resembles "the sayings of Paul Bunyon" than it resembles biographies of real people. Some verses have a reinterpretation in them, or statements that whatever was said was not properly understood at the time. Possibly to use to "shoot down" people who had other notions of what were no doubt popularly-believed attributions of what Jesus would have or might have said.

Clearly, there was someone or some group who had a reason for Jesus to be portrayed as uttering THOSE exact words, And, what's more, to have them said not once, but several times by several authors. It appears that the Gospel of Mark was one such source, and something else - often referred to as "The Q Document" - although it has never been discovered.

There is nothing in the canonical Gospels about Jesus life between infancy and a brief episode of when he was 12. Then, nothing between 12 and about 30 when he started his ministry. Certainly, he said and did a lot of things in there! Some of the apocryphal Gospels have episodes of him as a child which seem pretty fantastic.

When there is something as disjoint as all of this - like the lack of ANYTHING being written about him for nearly a generation, one has to wonder whether Jesus existed at all, when there are no outside references for his even existing, much less getting attention at all from the government - and the Roman government had to view him as a threat to the State if they were to have him crucified - and they would have kept RECORDS - which do not exist.

 

Many of the sayings in the canonical Gospels, and even in John were also recorded as having been said by Rabi Hillel a century earlier. The assorted miracles, the virgin birth on (or near) the winter solstice, the death and resurrection, are all features of numerous god-come-to-earth saviors or demigods at the time - from Horus to Mithras. One has to wonder whether Jesus ever existed at all, or if stories of his existence written much after his supposed lifetime were to add credibility to some religion and to help it gain power.

How's my proselytizing? Call 1-800-FANATIC

Beth


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2404
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
ello Beth K

BethK wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

version and made to watch that spooky thriller A Thief in the Night when I was about 7. Personally, I hope the antichrist obama takes over the world, imposing international medicare for all. 

I have been doing research and I am pretty much convinced that there are no prophecies about jesus in the old testament except for a few parts I dont understand like HE was wounded for OUR transgressions. Who is the he and our in that passage for example. but I think what would be the most helpful is if I knew when the blasphemy passage was wirtten for example they say the e[istles were written first so that means that jesus most certainly did not say that blasphemy was unforgivable since no one would remember that. So who added it if jesus had actually said it it would have probably came attached with it an explanaiton as to what it was exactly so the people who wrote it later had some agenda cause its not in the book of john for some reason. Christians say its saying the work of the holy spirit is of the devil but that doesnt make sense cause if you believe in the theology of christianity satan and the holy spirit are seperate things and thus would be cognitivaly impoosible to do. But the surrounding context doesnt show that its dying in unbelief. So when do you think it was added and by what group of people. ALso god couldnt have said in genesis that "us" refered to the trinity cause you cant talk to yourself and why would blaspheming yahweh or jesus be forgivable and not the holy crow what was the theological significance?

 

Hey atheistext could you help me out on this question? If the epsitles were written first than that means who ever wrote the gospels had some reason to have jesus utter those words even though there is no good context surrouding the verse.

 

There is a good amount of evidence that the epistles were written before the Gospels.

 

The fact is that no one bothered to write down the facts of Jesus' ministry. Much of his life is not written about at all in the cannonical gospels. The gospels as written seem to indicate that Jesus could write - he was writing in the dirt at the stoning of the adulteress, and he is addressed as "Rabbi" which is a clear indication that he could write - plus that he was married, but that's another can of worms. So, why did no one bother to save anything he wrote, if he were that important?

 

What we have more closely resembles "the sayings of Paul Bunyon" than it resembles biographies of real people. Some verses have a reinterpretation in them, or statements that whatever was said was not properly understood at the time. Possibly to use to "shoot down" people who had other notions of what were no doubt popularly-believed attributions of what Jesus would have or might have said.

Clearly, there was someone or some group who had a reason for Jesus to be portrayed as uttering THOSE exact words, And, what's more, to have them said not once, but several times by several authors. It appears that the Gospel of Mark was one such source, and something else - often referred to as "The Q Document" - although it has never been discovered.

There is nothing in the canonical Gospels about Jesus life between infancy and a brief episode of when he was 12. Then, nothing between 12 and about 30 when he started his ministry. Certainly, he said and did a lot of things in there! Some of the apocryphal Gospels have episodes of him as a child which seem pretty fantastic.

When there is something as disjoint as all of this - like the lack of ANYTHING being written about him for nearly a generation, one has to wonder whether Jesus existed at all, when there are no outside references for his even existing, much less getting attention at all from the government - and the Roman government had to view him as a threat to the State if they were to have him crucified - and they would have kept RECORDS - which do not exist.

 

Many of the sayings in the canonical Gospels, and even in John were also recorded as having been said by Rabi Hillel a century earlier. The assorted miracles, the virgin birth on (or near) the winter solstice, the death and resurrection, are all features of numerous god-come-to-earth saviors or demigods at the time - from Horus to Mithras. One has to wonder whether Jesus ever existed at all, or if stories of his existence written much after his supposed lifetime were to add credibility to some religion and to help it gain power.

 

 

                   I believe this is the first time I have spoken directly to you.  On this site meny of us,  myself included do not reguard the jesus charactor as anything other then fiction.  J.C. was not a real person.   It's unlikely that Saul of Tarsus [St.Paul] believed it was a real person nor most other early christians.  They reguarded JC as mystical [mythic].

 

 

                   Jesus was a conglomeration of several sources both real and imaginary .   His name alone is one clue,  it is not a name,  it is a title: Joshua Messiah translates from Aramaic as " The annointed savior from god".  Some frirst centry [BCE] wanted and awaited a savior, so they invented one.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?