Long awaited medial study questions the power of prayer

paisleyartmachine
paisleyartmachine's picture
Posts: 33
Joined: 2009-12-04
User is offlineOffline
Long awaited medial study questions the power of prayer

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html

"patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of post-operative complications like abnormal heart rhythms..."

Now this is really interesting, because like I said in my introduction post I was under the impression that prayer actually had beneficial health effects which I attributed to the placebo effect. To find out that it makes no difference, and furthermore can actually make the situation worse, is kind of an eye opener.

 


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10137
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
This I didn't expect.

This I didn't expect.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Eloise
Theist
Eloise's picture
Posts: 1804
Joined: 2007-05-26
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:This I didn't

Vastet wrote:
This I didn't expect.

Someone is screwing with us here, surely?

I don't think he is the Paisley.... but... um....

 

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com


paisleyartmachine
paisleyartmachine's picture
Posts: 33
Joined: 2009-12-04
User is offlineOffline
Enough.

You people are making me crazy. I am changing my name. Puta que paril.


Eloise
Theist
Eloise's picture
Posts: 1804
Joined: 2007-05-26
User is offlineOffline
paisleyartmachine wrote:You

paisleyartmachine wrote:

You people are making me crazy. I am changing my name. Puta que paril.

I'm really sorry, PaisleyArt, I was totally not going to buy into any of this suspicion business but I couldn't resist when you just cited the exact same study cited by the "other" Paisley in IIRC his first week here too. Too too uncanny to resist...

.. as you were.

 

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com


paisleyartmachine
paisleyartmachine's picture
Posts: 33
Joined: 2009-12-04
User is offlineOffline
You have got to be kidding

You have got to be kidding me.

It must be a miracle.

Proof that god exists, right? (and if this statement makes you pause, please look up the definition of Joke in the Miriam Webster Dictionary.)

 


paisleyartmachine
paisleyartmachine's picture
Posts: 33
Joined: 2009-12-04
User is offlineOffline
Somebody do me a favor and

Somebody do me a favor and explain to me what this guy Paisley was doing... so that I can NOT do that, and stop all of the speculation.


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
paisleyartmachine

paisleyartmachine wrote:

Somebody do me a favor and explain to me what this guy Paisley was doing... so that I can NOT do that, and stop all of the speculation.

 

Read his[?] posts

 

http://www.rationalresponders.com/user/paisley/track

 

 

 


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
what i find odd, is i SWEAR

what i find odd, is i SWEAR ive seen your avatar before... (although not necessarily Paisley) Yay, Deja Vu!

What Would Kharn Do?


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10137
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Paisley was your typical

Paisley was your typical evangelical type that took off not too long ago. I can't see him having posted this article though. For one, it goes against his arguments. For another, it's more than 3 years old. He joined much more recently.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
Posts: 862
Joined: 2009-08-06
User is offlineOffline
paisleyartmachine

paisleyartmachine wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html

"patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of post-operative complications like abnormal heart rhythms..."

Now this is really interesting, because like I said in my introduction post I was under the impression that prayer actually had beneficial health effects which I attributed to the placebo effect. To find out that it makes no difference, and furthermore can actually make the situation worse, is kind of an eye opener.

 

 

Wait another month, and there will be a a study advocating prayer. It seems that every time I flip open a health magazine or health news, there is something about this, for or against it.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”


Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-07-15
User is offlineOffline
paisleyartmachine

paisleyartmachine wrote:

Somebody do me a favor and explain to me what this guy Paisley was doing... so that I can NOT do that, and stop all of the speculation.

He was a dickwad who posted extremely lengthy videos and then refused to agknowledge arguments against them. "You must not have watched the video!" was is oft-repeated reply against any and all arguments. He posted and reposted nearly identical topics so we could beat a dead horse with him. No argument could phase him. I think he was constructed in a government lab to be the ultimate theist: obstinate, illogical, rude and refusing to recognize the importance of evidence. He has actually denounced all scientific evidence as just being a kind of dogma.

In my opinion he was one of the worst posters that this site has ever seen. By unfortunate coincidence you have his name. I don't think you are him though. He was such an extreme fucktard that I think we would have been sure by now if you were him. I wouldn't worry about acting like him. Few people could pull of the kind of stuff that he could.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:3

Jormungander wrote:

paisleyartmachine wrote:

Somebody do me a favor and explain to me what this guy Paisley was doing... so that I can NOT do that, and stop all of the speculation.

He was a dickwad who posted extremely lengthy videos and then refused to agknowledge arguments against them. "You must not have watched the video!" was is oft-repeated reply against any and all arguments. He posted and reposted nearly identical topics so we could beat a dead horse with him. No argument could phase him. I think he was constructed in a government lab to be the ultimate theist: obstinate, illogical, rude and refusing to recognize the importance of evidence. He has actually denounced all scientific evidence as just being a kind of dogma.

In my opinion he was one of the worst posters that this site has ever seen. By unfortunate coincidence you have his name. I don't think you are him though. He was such an extreme fucktard that I think we would have been sure by now if you were him. I wouldn't worry about acting like him. Few people could pull of the kind of stuff that he could.

 

You wouldn't say that if you watched the video.

 

Which you obviously didn't.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5064
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
At last I get the joke ClockCat

 

I sort of thought you must've been seriously talking about something...

The dude must have been a freak if he's still echoing around in here.

Theists. The more dogmatic ones are so similar it's like they were made by machine.

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Eloise
Theist
Eloise's picture
Posts: 1804
Joined: 2007-05-26
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: I

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

I sort of thought you must've been seriously talking about something...

The dude must have been a freak if he's still echoing around in here.

Theists. The more dogmatic ones are so similar it's like they were made by machine.

 

 

Aww, Paisley was alright really. Well, at least a fair bit smarter than he sounds as of our recollection.

But he did create a lot of threads, and he peeved a lot of people with the one line 'you obviously didn't read/watch/listen therefore have no place commenting' retort which he used liberally and, most would probably agree, often fallaciously.

 

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com