Young Earth Creationism debunked by the bottom of the Long Island Sound

rdklep8
atheistScience FreakSuperfan
rdklep8's picture
User is offlineOffline
Young Earth Creationism debunked by the bottom of the Long Island Sound

So I am in a free elective course in school that is loosely based on archaeology.  My professor is an archaelogist, and to be honest it's pretty boring and redundant.  However, today we had a guest speaker, who is the head archaeologist for the state of Connecticut.  He was talking about his most interesting archaeological digs, and he brushed on the topic of cruising the bottom of the Long Island sound and finding ancient native communities that were under water.  He said through research they found that Long Island and Connecticut were actually connected as an "O" shape, with a huge freshwater lake making the middle of the "O".  As the mile high ice around CT began to melt at the end of the ice age, the lake grew exponentially until it poured over the northeastern part of the O creating what we know now as the long island sound.

Some artifacts have been brought to the surface and through carbon dating have been linked back to well past 12,000BC (I wish I had a more concrete date, but it was toward the end of the lecture and he breezed over it. 

Once I got back to my house I looked it up... and there is not much information on it.  I did find this

http://fireside.designcommunity.com/topic-19642.html

I just found it amazing that these civilizations have not been mentioned to me until today, as I live right next to the sound.  It was also nice to be able to take a jab at a ridiculous concept such as YEC as well.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare