2nd law of thermodynamics argument

paisleyartmachine
paisleyartmachine's picture
User is offlineOffline
2nd law of thermodynamics argument

Hello everyone. I am a self-described Atheist. Recently I have been attending meetings of our church group on my college campus. They have been hosting weekly sessions where they show videos from a series titled 'The Truth Project' which is a well produced and obviously well funded lecture series in which a christian apologetics 'professor' supports Christianity as academically valid. I was curious about the arguments that Christians might have so I thought that I would learn a little bit more about it.

I have been through about 5 weeks now, and am surprised by how convincing some of their arguments are. The one in particular that has been frustrating me is their argument about the 2nd law of thermodynamics and the entropy of the universe. They state that our universe is slowly reaching an equilibrium in which heat will spread out across the emptiness of space and create an even temperature which is too low to support life. They argue that this indicates that the universe must have infact had a beginning and that it is impossible for the universe to have simply always existed because the universe would have reached this equilibrium by now.

I am no student of astrophysics, and when I am presented with this argument I don't know how to respond. Is this true? Does science indicate that the universe is slowly reaching an equilibrium with no hope for the recollection of matter and energy to cause another big bang? Is it true that science indicates the universe had a beginning?

What does this mean?

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deadly Fingergun

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:
Don't have to know how to put together a quantum equation to know (which I got right and Bob got wrong) that the 2nd Law doesn't apply to quantum phenomena.

The premise that Bob advanced is that the 2nd Law can be applied, somehow or other, to "god" as a concept because "god" has to have some kind of "substrate" existing within this universe's space-time in order to be "sentient" such that the 2nd Law would apply.

False premise, invalid argument.  And that is Logic 101.  Also pronounced "Bob is an idiot".

And claiming that something that isn't part of this universe is called "special pleading". Pronounced "FurryCatherder's head rattles when you shake it".

Uh, all the things I mentioned as being irrelevant to 2nd Law based arguments very much ARE a part of this universe.  It only takes one something to invalidate the premise that all "omniscient gods" are somehow subject to 2nd Law arguments.

I realize I can be hard to follow because I don't claim G-d is a bearded old white guy sitting on a throne deciding who to zap tomorrow, but be VERY careful what you claim I've said because I've had people claim I've said things that are against my religion to say in the first place.

And the "h" in "Herder" is capitalized.  Furry Cat Herder.  And the cats are furry, not me.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Uh, all

FurryCatHerder wrote:
Uh, all the things I mentioned as being irrelevant to 2nd Law based arguments very much ARE a part of this universe.  It only takes one something to invalidate the premise that all "omniscient gods" are somehow subject to 2nd Law arguments.

I realize I can be hard to follow because I don't claim G-d is a bearded old white guy sitting on a throne deciding who to zap tomorrow, but be VERY careful what you claim I've said because I've had people claim I've said things that are against my religion to say in the first place.

And the "h" in "Herder" is capitalized.  Furry Cat Herder.  And the cats are furry, not me.

Sorry, but the argument that some very specific facets of the universe are not bound by the 2nd law hardly invalidates the premise that any form of god would need to be. Unless you worship elemental particles, of course - though I'd not have the first idea why you'd bother to call them "god".

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander

Jormungander wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I am aware of the more purely mathematical interpretation, but I see no way to actually measure the position and momentum (not velocity) without some actual interaction.

I thought that position and momentum and position and velocity don't commute. I'll have to disagree with the "(not velocity)" part of that post.

The whole point of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is that there are theorectical limits on the accuracy that we can acheive for measurements of pairs of properties that don't commute. Even if we make better and better measuring techniques that afford greater and greater accuracy, we will still run into accuracy limits that are entirely unrelated to our equipment. Also, on an entirely unrelated note regarding the uncertainty principle, our equipment does introduce error into our measurements.

Every statement of the UP I have seen or can find refers to momentum not velocity.

Altho I just listened to an audio clip of Heisenberg himself, and he did use the word 'velocity'. 

Obviously the momentum is rather directly connected to velocity, so the uncertainty in momentum will translate rather directly to an equivalent uncertainty in velocity, so I think momentum is used in the equations because that is what pairs with position, regardless of the mass, to make the relationship with Planck's constant. 

From http://www.aip.org/history/heisenberg/p08.htm

I realize that our instruments do introduce error in practice, of course, but that is not relevant to the UP.

The point of the uncertainty principle is that even with 'perfect' instruments we cannot determine the position and momentum of a particle at any instant precisely.

Quote:

The more precisely the position is determined, the less precisely the momentum is known in this instant, and vice versa. 
--Heisenberg, uncertainty paper, 1927

The commuting properties are either position (q) and momentum (p), or energy (E) and the exact time (t) at which the measurement applies.

If delta is the uncertainy in the measurement, then the relations are:

(delta q) X (delta p) >= h/(4 pi )

and

(delta E) X (delta t) >= h/(4 pi )

where h = Planck's constant

So if we devise an experiment which pins down the position of a particle very closely, we have no idea what its momentum was at that instant.

Or we cannot measure the energy at a precise instant of time with any precision, but we can estimate the average energy more precisely if we allow the time to be within a range.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
For every pair of

For every pair of properties, you can check to see whether or not they commute. Momentum and position are a good example of this since deltax*deltap is such an important term and since that was the example originally used to formulate this idea. But think of p and x not commuting as just being a particular example of how certain pairs of properties don't commute. If someone claims to be able to simultaneously measure some pair of properties to some degree of accuracy, you can check to see if those two properties commute and you can check to see how being able to more accurately measure one will decrease the accuracy of the measurement of the other.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

fishpaste (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Physics tells us nothing

Physics tells us nothing about the beginning of the universe, for all we know it could have always been here, for eternity.

All we do know is that it inflated 13.5 billion years ago so that it looks like it does now.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:For every

Jormungander wrote:

For every pair of properties, you can check to see whether or not they commute. Momentum and position are a good example of this since deltax*deltap is such an important term and since that was the example originally used to formulate this idea. But think of p and x not commuting as just being a particular example of how certain pairs of properties don't commute. If someone claims to be able to simultaneously measure some pair of properties to some degree of accuracy, you can check to see if those two properties commute and you can check to see how being able to more accurately measure one will decrease the accuracy of the measurement of the other.

I understand all that, of course.

One significance of the particular pairs used in the definition is that the magnitudes of the uncertainties in each is that their product is bound by the fundamental constant h. 

Any pair of properties should be reducible to either E and t or x and p to apply the equation and calculate the minimum product of the uncertainty.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:LOL!No,

FurryCatHerder wrote:

LOL!

No, too old for that.  I'm a Nice OLD Jewish Lady.

Okay, my mistake.  I'm not young anymore, either.  Despite my being the loyal opposition  I hope you're still enjoying your stay here...

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
The anthropomorphic god

Personally I battle with the idea of an ethereal being existing in another dimension, utterly impossible to prove or refute.

It's interesting to me that theists manage to embrace the concept of a god completely separate from this universe yet struggle to come to terms with

infinitely more possible things, like the evolution of living organisms over time.

But let's talk about something specific. The anthropomorphic god.  There are anthropomorphic characteristics - not arms and hands and eyes FurryCat - but behaviour patterns such as choosing one group

of people as your special favourites - your besties. Then there are those intensely human feelings god is alleged to possess. Things like love, anger, rage, revenge, and pride. And there's more.

God's insistence on obedience, his concept of retribution, the business of sacrifice, his capacity for creativity, his need for our adoration and loyalty, his scales of morality and every other characteristic

we quantify him as possessing in terms of our human understanding. All this is more profoundly and undeniably anthropomorphic than the business of the old man in the sky.

It's not possible to define the character of a sentient being outside the boundaries of our own minds and it's certain this frailty restricts god sorely.

There's no surprise in finding that the greatest qualities in the eyes of our god are those we treasure most in ourselves.

If you believe in a removed and unavailable and un-intruding god is it possible to claim any of these things about god at all?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
Unrepentant_Elitist's picture
User is offlineOffline
fishpaste wrote:Physics

fishpaste wrote:

Physics tells us nothing about the beginning of the universe, for all we know it could have always been here, for eternity.

All we do know is that it inflated 13.5 billion years ago so that it looks like it does now.

Abject idiocy.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unrepentant_Elitist

Unrepentant_Elitist wrote:

fishpaste wrote:

Abject idiocy.

Not everyone is a physicist.  I myself don't understand how we have pinpointed the beginning of everything, and don't understand how we can say with confidence there wasn't something before.  If you can explain it it'd be greatly appreciated.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
At the end of the

The first statement is not clear. It can only refer to whatever preceded the BB.

But certainly we know that our Universe has NOT been here forever, it emerged at the time of the BB.

Now what was the history, if any, of the 'metaverse', we are still in pretty much pure speculation, altho with a number of proposed theories, such as colliding multi-dimensionsal 'branes'.

Within our known universe, at the end of the inflationary epoch, the Universe was still very different from what we see today.

An awful lot more happened, and physics and cosmology have provided a fairly detailed picture right back to a very short time after the initial singularity event.

So that second statement is not accurate in any way.

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist

v4ultingbassist wrote:

fishpaste wrote:

Abject idiocy.

Not everyone is a physicist.  I myself don't understand how we have pinpointed the beginning of everything, and don't understand how we can say with confidence there wasn't something before.  If you can explain it it'd be greatly appreciated.

Bob Spence beat me to the punch on this! The statement itself bothers me because it is an example of the worst kind of ipse-dixitism that plagues popular discussions of scientific concepts. Merely averring something as truth without substantiated reasoning is abject idiocy in my opinion. As to your note that not everyone is a physicist, I would mention that my background is in nuclear engineering and not cosmology. As such, I would not presume to present a detailed discussion of the origins of the universe. If I may suggest a few texts that I feel treat the subject excellently, I would submit:

Hawking, Stephen (1988). A Brief History of Time. Bantam Books (ISBN 0553380168)

Greene, Brian (1999). The Elegant Universe. Random House (ISBN 0375708111)

Penrose, Sir Roger (2004). The Road to Reality. Vintage Books (ISBN 0679454438)

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:The first

BobSpence1 wrote:

The first statement is not clear. It can only refer to whatever preceded the BB.

But certainly we know that our Universe has NOT been here forever, it emerged at the time of the BB.

Now what was the history, if any, of the 'metaverse', we are still in pretty much pure speculation, altho with a number of proposed theories, such as colliding multi-dimensionsal 'branes'.

Within our known universe, at the end of the inflationary epoch, the Universe was still very different from what we see today.

An awful lot more happened, and physics and cosmology have provided a fairly detailed picture right back to a very short time after the initial singularity event.

So that second statement is not accurate in any way.

I think he considered the metaverse to be synonymous with the universe.  AKA saying with certainty that there was nothing before the BB is akin to saying there is or isn't a god existing outside of our universe, even though it is impossible to know (as of right now, or maybe forever).

I think it comes down to what is defined as our universe.  If we were to somehow discover something happening before the BB, would we consider it part of OUR universe?  Or an event existing outside of our universe?

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Unrepentant_Elitist

v4ultingbassist wrote:

fishpaste wrote:

Abject idiocy.

Bob Spence beat me to the punch on this! The statement itself bothers me because it is an example of the worst kind of ipse-dixitism that plagues popular discussions of scientific concepts. Merely averring something as truth without substantiated reasoning is abject idiocy in my opinion. As to your note that not everyone is a physicist, I would mention that my background is in nuclear engineering and not cosmology. As such, I would not presume to present a detailed discussion of the origins of the universe. If I may suggest a few texts that I feel treat the subject excellently, I would submit:

Hawking, Stephen (1988). A Brief History of Time. Bantam Books (ISBN 0553380168)

I want to read all of those.  I was just saying that I (think) I got the gist of what he was saying (see above).  And a degree in nuclear engineering entails significantly more physics than most degrees... lol

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist

v4ultingbassist wrote:

v4ultingbassist wrote:

fishpaste wrote:

Abject idiocy.

I want to read all of those.  I was just saying that I (think) I got the gist of what he was saying (see above).  And a degree in nuclear engineering entails significantly more physics than most degrees... lol

Nah, according to the media, we're just making it up as we go along!

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Unrepentant_Elitist

Nah, according to the media, we're just making it up as we go along!

I know, trying to pin religious behavior on scientists... pssh.

I just think you were a bit rough on him, because even though he said physics doesn't tell us anything about the beginning of the universe, he at least understands that the universe is 13.5 billion years old and that there was a period of inflation.  That is significantly more so than common knowledge, which leads me to give him the benefit of the doubt in assuming he meant that there is the possibility of events (and consequently time and our universe, I guess) occurring before the BB itself.

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
User is offlineOffline
I would go with ~13.7

I would go with ~13.7 billion years, but...

You're correct in saying that I was a bit harsh, however, I have found (to no one's surprise, I'm sure) that unfounded statements that can be misinterpreted do much more harm than good; consider if a person ignorant of even the basics of science read this statement and took it as fact: a new level of ignorance has just been established. Perhaps my sesquipedalian and syntax-obsessed nature has gotten to me...either that or the copious amounts of bourbon I've had at this point!

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Haha, can't go wrong with

Haha, can't go wrong with copious amounts of bourbon.  My poison of choice tends to be vodka (for monetary reasons, not taste).

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
User is offlineOffline
In the more Russian moments

In the more Russian moments of my existence (all apologies to my Norwegian fore-bearers), I have been known to judiciously employ a snort or two (or nine) of the white death, keeping to Grey Goose mostly. As to bourbon, I am a fan of both Eagle Rare and Booker's (in view of the financial situation to which you alluded, take note that Eagle Rare- if you can find it- is usually less than $30). Nonetheless, let it be known that physics is fueled by brown liquors- which understandably clash with the black coffee of the next morning when one has to teach moderator temperature coefficients for eight hours...

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Haha, well what I drink is a

Haha, well what I drink is a stereotypical russian named brand that sells for $15 for 1.75L.  It almost isn't worth it lol  But I'll keep Eagle Rare in mind for the future.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Don't have to know

Quote:
Don't have to know how to put together a quantum equation to know (which I got right and Bob got wrong) that the 2nd Law doesn't apply to quantum phenomena.

The premise that Bob advanced is that the 2nd Law can be applied, somehow or other, to "god" as a concept because "god" has to have some kind of "substrate" existing within this universe's space-time in order to be "sentient" such that the 2nd Law would apply.

False premise, invalid argument.  And that is Logic 101.  Also pronounced "Bob is an idiot".

Yeah. So now that we've established that you know about as much about quantum mechanics as I do (that is, nothing), you can go ahead and stop pretending that you're an authority on the subject.

You might need new reading glasses, gramma. Bob didn't propose that the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics necessarily invalidates magical deities; he just said that Yahweh - the magical deity proposed in the Hebrew Bible - would be violating this law when he magically poofed everything into being.

You probably don't believe that happened anyway, because you can't allow yourself that much cognitive dissonance, but you've got your Depends in a bunch over something that hasn't been said.

Oh. And unless my meds have made me blind, I'm pretty sure I didn't typo, "Bob is an idiot." I separated 'is an idiot' with quotation marks to denote that it was your claim (and that is was lolztastic), which is a common contemporary literary trend (...as long as you consider 'contemporary' to mean 'since the beginning of this decade or so'). Maybe you can ask one of your grandkids to help you get caught-up with the crazy, break neck pace that literature is hurtling forward at. 

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
User is offlineOffline
  Kevin R Brown

Quote:

Hi FurryCatHerder (I love your screen name, by the way!). You mentioned that you got a quantum equation correct while Bob Spence did not; I was wondering if you could direct me to that post. On a more personal note, while I find your ad hominem attacks to be somewhat distasteful, I nonetheless admire your conviction in defense of ideas that the vast majority of contributors find inane. I look forward to hearing from you in the future!

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nah, dude - she was saying

Nah, dude - she was saying that she got the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics 'argument' correct, not that she was able to draft quantum equations that Bob couldn't.

Of course, I can understand your confusion, since the 'argument' in question exists only in her imagination. 

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Nah,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Nah, dude - she was saying that she got the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics 'argument' correct, not that she was able to draft quantum equations that Bob couldn't.

Of course, I can understand your confusion, since the 'argument' in question exists only in her imagination. 

Forgive my innocence...

That would certainly explain why I couldn't find such  a post!

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

So ... what is the energy flow between the particles in a hydrogen atom?  The components of a proton?  How does the 2nd Law affect (or not) neutron decay?

Ok, it applies to anything to which the property of 'temperature' can be applied, and which can be meaningfully be considered to contain an amount of thermal energy. Which rules out the scale at which quantum behaviour dominates. IOW to macroscopic matter, from atoms up. Altho you could apply to a collection of electrons and protons, ie, a plasma. But, like other thermodynamic principles, it applies to the collective behaviour of particles, to which temperature and thermal energy are most applicable, as statistical properties.

Sp it applies to the collective behaviour of any matter, but not to an individual particle.

I thought you might already be aware of that distinction, but obviously I was wrong.

Ex-fucking-cuse me?  No, you don't get to try and pull a reversal on me like that.  I've had to beat you into submission on this "2nd Law" nonsense you were trying to spread and you're not going to pull a "I'm sure you know a fucking lot more about the 2nd Law than I'm pretending to know, but now that you proved I haven't a clue, I'm going to pretend you're stupid." stunt.

Submission? Realising that I have to spell every detail out to stop you finding a way to interpret what I say as not excluding some off-the-wall idea, that you can then ridicule.

You seem to be working overtime to find ways to rubbish my statements. I am not even trying to pretend you are stupid, just pointing out that you don't seem to understand this stuff as well as you may think you do. Not the same as thinking of you as 'stupid'. I will leave all the ad hominen attacks to you.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:

Two of the three Abrahamic faiths would disagree with you on that.

But not all people who at least nominally identify with any of those faiths.

Hey -- a new Logical Fallacy.  Appeal to Heresy!

Judaism and Islam are both, 100%, absolutely, completely, totally and utterly opposed to any conceptualization of G-d that would include ANY form of anthropomorphism, physical existence within this Universe, etc.  As in, no, you'd be wrong.  Again.  And appealing to heretics doesn't get you around that.

I at no time assumed God was assumed to exist in this universe.

I never assumed God was seen by any significant number of adherents of any faith as "an old bearded man in the sky", or anthing like that - you are the only one who ever brought that up.

With that in mind, the scriptures do refer to man being made "in the image of God", so there presumably is supposed to be some analogy at some level.

I am not "appealing to heresy", merely the naive views of many believers, which is undeniable, especially among fundy Xians in the USA. Dunno about Judaism in any detail, altho I do know there are different sects, so it is not an absolutely unified set of beliefs.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:

Really -- this notion is a very Christian one (and they in turn got it from the Greeks and Romans and their pantheon of gods), in which their god sits on a literal, physical throne, scratches his chin, and decides whom to zap today.

You are straw-manning the beliefs of most contemporary believers, who claim to believe in something neither crudely anthropomorphic nor quite as utterly beyond our physical universe or abstract as what you seem to be hinting at.

I am not referring to the 'official' theology of any religion, rather to what many actual nominal adherents describe.

Cherry Picking, No True Scotsman, Appeal to Heresy.

All total misrepresentations of my arguments.

Quote:

There are DIFFERENT religions being discussed and they have widely divert beliefs.  You seem to be sticking with what you think you know about Christianity and trying to apply it to religions OTHER than Christianity.

I am sticking to what there appears to be evidence for, and I have explicitly asked several times if you could clarify where you see I have something wrong, as I am genuinely curious as to how your views differ from what I have encountered among Xians and other followers of Judaism.

Instead of trying to genuinely enlighten me, you seem intent on 'catching me out' on some misunderstanding or error and using it as an excuse to insult and mock my 'ignorance' and false assumptions.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:

Perhaps the extrapolation is based on flawed assumptions?  In addition to not having a penis, G-d does not have a "brain".  Or "arms" or "hands".  Anthropomorphisms aren't descriptions of fact, they are literary devices by which things which cannot be explained are explained.  So long as the reader understands they aren't literally true in a physical sense.

More straw-manning of an argument I have not made.

I call "bullshit".  You very clearly DID make an argument that assumed into existence some kind of bearded old white guy with a skull on top of his shoulders and a brain inside his noggin, for various values of "bearded", "old", "white", "guy", "skull", "shoulders", "brain" and "noggin".

I've been arguing religion with polytheists long enough to know when I'm confronting an argument that depends on G-d having some kind of "physical manifestation", "brain", "arms", "legs", "penis", and that's precisely what you pre-supposed below --

There you go again, I have never assumed any such thing. You are demonstrating that you have completely misjudged where I am coming from. Your previous experience appears to have left you locked into this presumption of what I believe, or assume, or am trying to argue, and rather than try and grasp just what I am trying to ask of you, just throwing your rehearsed set of accusations and refutations at me, waiting to jump on any hint of the common responses you have come to expect.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
Structure and organisation in turn require some substrate to be expressed in. So it is hard to see how a sentient entity would not have some analogue of physical matter as its basis. This in turn opens the way for a version of the second law to apply, which is actually only dependent on very fundamental aspects of matter and energy, which would still apply to a different implementation or version of matter and energy. At least to something which could support a version of 'mind', which was analogous in some sense to our own, supposedly "created in the image" of that entity, altho I may be presuming too much in assuming you read that phrase that way.

I didn't make you construct a fallacious argument, and not believing in "Satan", I don't think the devil made you do it either.  That leaves, uh, YOU.

BobSpence1 wrote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:
And would you PLEASE quit dodging my objection to the "God doesn't work the way I think god should work, therefore god doesn't exist" fallacy you and others here have used.  For people who are so proud of their "logic" skills, I'd think you'd have gotten around to addressing this fallacy of yours by now.  Because now, in addition to looking ignorant of other religions and god-concepts, you're also looking extremely dishonest, hypocritical and downright stupid.

I am NOT dodging your objection to "God doesn't work the way I think god should work, therefore god doesn't", since that is not what I am arguing.

You keep dodging my logical objections to what you have said, by saying I just 'believe' in "logic", implying that logic is just an idea that you don't accept. Which is becoming increasingly obvious. You clearly have no idea of what "logic" is, or what I 'believe'. As I cannot fathom just what is going on inside your head.

No, I very much believe in Logic.  I happen to think that you worship Logic as if it were some magical sky-daddy that you can twist to suit whatever rhetorical needs you have, regardless of how seriously you mangle Logic in order to do so.  Makes you happier that I used Logic with a capital-L instead of putting "logic" inside quotes?

Another over the top assumption of how I think. What is it with you and this "Sky-daddy' thing? You are so far off how I actually I view all these things that I can only shake my head sadly at your avoidance of a simple honest discussion where you could attempt to explain your views, which is really all I would like to know. But you come on so combative and spoiling for a fight. I am genuinely disappointed. I have made a point of not making assumptions about your views, until recently, in an effort to work out why you are so antagonistic.

Quote:

Which leads me to the following conclusion --

In addition to you having no clue about Thermodynamics, you also have no clue about Logic.

If you want to claim I'm engaging in a strawman argument, would you PLEASE explain how this

Quote:
However, most views of God seem to envisage something more than just an idea. Usually as something which has extent, awareness, will, sentience, or at least some 'higher' analogues of such, as well as the ability to directly influence both physical objects and our thoughts.

is not a prime example of "Begging The Conclusion".  You've defined "god" according to YOUR specifications, which I think I've also established is based on Christian / Greek / Roman polytheistic beliefs rather than any other religion's far more abstract, and significantly less "bearded old white guy sitting on a throne", god-concepts.

As I told Vastet a while back, if you want to start a "Why Christianity is Stupid" thread, I'll gladly join.  Now, kindly quit pretending that every other religion on the planet is Christianity, because it is very wrong and very annoying.  But also because I'll gladly pwn any Atheist who's entire bone of contention is that the Christian gods don't make much sense.

Begging the conclusion? Ok, could you try and at least hint at how your concept of 'God', or 'G-d' differs from that? Please? Instead of just ridiculing and insulting us for not understanding your G-d?

I have spent time in countries dominated by every major religion, and tried to see how they went about daily life, what their places of worship were like, and so on. That includes China, Central and South-East Asia, Egypt, half-a-dozen or more other countries in Africa, Russia, various Pacific Islands, even that socially confused nation the US of A. Never actually set foot in Israel, just spent a week on a dive-boat working out of Eilat. Did get to talk to some Israelis over dinner in Sharm El Sheikh. So I have been in quite a number of mosques and wats (buddhist temples), so I am more aware than most people of the diversity of culture and belief across the globe.

In what sense was I "pretending that every other religion on the planet is Christianity"?

Di66en6ion
Di66en6ion's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder has been a

FurryCatHerder has been a bit vague with her own beliefs but what she's saying really isn't any different then the original argument the OP was asking about. That some sort of god exists "outside" of the universe, time, reality, etc... the excuse is basically the same.

If Furry denies all forms of anthropomorphisms then she has no leg to stand on, period. It's still special pleading either way.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Q: How can a fridge magnet

Q: How can a fridge magnet cling against gravity endlessly without draining a power source?

A: It can't ... fridge magnets are impossible according to today's science. It certainly takes tremendous energy to cling to the side of a cliff, supporting our own weight against gravity, and before long we would tire and fall. Yet a fridge magnet clings endlessly to the fridge by magnetic energy. And, as both our science and our experience tell us, such an expenditure of energy requires that a power source be drawn upon to support such effort. Yet a permanent magnet not only maintains its strength indefinitely (no theory or text- book shows the power drain characteristics of a permanent magnet as it clings against the pull of gravity), but there isn’t even a power source in sight! Endless magnetic energy apparently emanates from permanent magnets without any explanation in our science. The only explanation that any physicist will give for this mystery is that there is no mystery since the magnet isn't moving, which gives a zero result if you plug this into the Work equation – a severely flawed diversionary tactic that was exposed above. No physicist will acknowledge the error of applying the Work equation to deny the ongoing magnetic energy expenditure, nor agree that a power source is required to cling energetically against gravity.

This excerpt from an article on magnetism in Discover Magazine, Dec. 2002, further makes this point:
Moreover, asking that question [why some non-metallic objects are magnetic] inevitably lets you in on a surprising secret: Physicists are also a little fuzzy about those bits of iron alloy attached to your refrigerator. "Only a few people understand -- or think they understand -- how a permanent magnet works," says Makarova [a Russian physicist working at Umea University in Sweden]. "The magnet of everyday life is not a simple thing. It's a quantum- mechanics thing ... I'm just working as an engineer, trying to find out where the magnetism comes from."

I think someone needs to invent "magnetons", imaginary particles that magnet and fridge shoot at each other and by that, they don't push each other away, but magically attract themselves.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Q: How can a

Luminon wrote:

Q: How can a fridge magnet cling against gravity endlessly without draining a power source?

A: It can't ... fridge magnets are impossible according to today's science. It certainly takes tremendous energy to cling to the side of a cliff, supporting our own weight against gravity, and before long we would tire and fall. Yet a fridge magnet clings endlessly to the fridge by magnetic energy. And, as both our science and our experience tell us, such an expenditure of energy requires that a power source be drawn upon to support such effort. Yet a permanent magnet not only maintains its strength indefinitely (no theory or text- book shows the power drain characteristics of a permanent magnet as it clings against the pull of gravity), but there isn’t even a power source in sight! Endless magnetic energy apparently emanates from permanent magnets without any explanation in our science. The only explanation that any physicist will give for this mystery is that there is no mystery since the magnet isn't moving, which gives a zero result if you plug this into the Work equation – a severely flawed diversionary tactic that was exposed above. No physicist will acknowledge the error of applying the Work equation to deny the ongoing magnetic energy expenditure, nor agree that a power source is required to cling energetically against gravity.

This excerpt from an article on magnetism in Discover Magazine, Dec. 2002, further makes this point:
Moreover, asking that question [why some non-metallic objects are magnetic] inevitably lets you in on a surprising secret: Physicists are also a little fuzzy about those bits of iron alloy attached to your refrigerator. "Only a few people understand -- or think they understand -- how a permanent magnet works," says Makarova [a Russian physicist working at Umea University in Sweden]. "The magnet of everyday life is not a simple thing. It's a quantum- mechanics thing ... I'm just working as an engineer, trying to find out where the magnetism comes from."

I think someone needs to invent "magnetons", imaginary particles that magnet and fridge shoot at each other and by that, they don't push each other away, but magically attract themselves.

Are you serious here Luminon?

I mean, are you actually quoting this question about the energy flow in a magnet as an example of really stupid/ignorant ideas which you are not silly enough to believe? I can't always be sure I am reading you accurately.

Because it shows a really deep misunderstanding of some really basic physics.

It requires no more energy for a magnet to cling to another one, or to the side of a fridge, than it does for something stuck to the fridge by a physically sticky surface, or a piece of adhesive tape. it only requires an effort for a person to continue to hang on to something because of the way our muscles work - they consume chemical energy whenever they are exerting a force, whether moving or not.

This would be somewhat analogous to an electromagnet, which uses the magnetic effect of an electric current flowing in a coil to magnetise a 'soft' magnetic material in which the individual magnetic domains tend to return to a non-aligned state when no external field is applied. Since ordinary wire at room temperature has electrical resistance, it requires energy to keep the current flowing in the wire, and so keep the field on. The energy required to keep an electromagnet stuck to a metal surface is all converted to heat.

Such inefficiencies are often associated with systems designed to exert force while moving, they still may consume energy just to exert a force even if not moving. They can avoid that problem by adding a physical locking mechanism of some sort.

I hope you really understand all that, and were just satirizing the mistaken ideas in the original question. Because if you really agree with the idea that permanent magnets require a source of energy to stay stuck to a fridge, you are advertizing the fact that you are totally unqualified to judge anything scientific.

There is a static amount of energy contained in a magnetic field, but there is no flow of energy. It only requires an input of energy when you want to increase the strength of the field, or a flow of energy out of the field to reduce its strength.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Are you

BobSpence1 wrote:

I mean, are you actually quoting this question about the energy flow in a magnet as an example of really stupid/ignorant ideas which you are not silly enough to believe? I can't always be sure I am reading you accurately.

It requires no more energy for a magnet to cling to another one, or to the side of a fridge, than it does for something stuck to the fridge by a physically sticky surface, or a piece of adhesive tape. it only requires an effort for a person to continue to hang on to something because of the way our muscles work - they consume chemical energy whenever they are exerting a force, whether moving or not.

It won't hurt to explain the basics. And what about a permanent magnetic levitation? What about gravitational orbit? There are seemingly endless forces counteracting each other, but they never deplete.
As for the metaphor with physical bonds or adhesivity, that doesn't answer the question, because;
Q: How do heavy objects rest on a table without its molecules giving way, collapsing the table?

A: Science has no viable explanation for this today. This mystery is similar to the mystery of the fridge magnet. Atomic bonds are said to result from electromagnetic energy attracting and holding atoms together. Yet, there is no denying that tremendous ongoing energy expenditure is required to hold the
structure of a table together under the weight of a heavy object. Where does this energy come from? How quickly does this subatomic power source drain as it expends all this energy? Today's science has no explanation for this everyday occurrence, so such questions are never discussed.

BobSpence1 wrote:

I hope you really understand all that, and were just satirizing the mistaken ideas in the original question. Because if you really agree with the idea that permanent magnets require a source of energy to stay stuck to a fridge, you are advertizing the fact that you are totally unqualified to judge anything scientific.

There is a static amount of energy contained in a magnetic field, but there is no flow of energy. It only requires an input of energy when you want to increase the strength of the field, or a flow of energy out of the field to reduce its strength.

You surely have heard of the gravitational slingshot maneuver. Cosmic probes use it to increase or decrease their speed. One gravity field can accelerate infinite amount of probes on their way, without weakening. So there must be a flow of energy. You want to say, that this energy comes out of nowhere?

Don't let yourself get irritated. I'm just questioning some fundamental scientific theories. This has not much to do with understanding. I need to find out which theories are legitimate, and if claims based on these theories are legitimate as well. IOW, I make sure there are no straw men around.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:BobSpence1

Luminon wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

It won't hurt to explain the basics. And what about a permanent magnetic levitation? What about gravitational orbit? There are seemingly endless forces counteracting each other, but they never deplete.
As for the metaphor with physical bonds or adhesivity, that doesn't answer the question, because;
Q: How do heavy objects rest on a table without its molecules giving way, collapsing the table?

A: Science has no viable explanation for this today. This mystery is similar to the mystery of the fridge magnet. Atomic bonds are said to result from electromagnetic energy attracting and holding atoms together. Yet, there is no denying that tremendous ongoing energy expenditure is required to hold the
structure of a table together under the weight of a heavy object. Where does this energy come from? How quickly does this subatomic power source drain as it expends all this energy? Today's science has no explanation for this everyday occurrence, so such questions are never discussed.

BobSpence1 wrote:

You surely have heard of the gravitational slingshot maneuver. Cosmic probes use it to increase or decrease their speed. One gravity field can accelerate infinite amount of probes on their way, without weakening. So there must be a flow of energy. You want to say, that this energy comes out of nowhere?

Don't let yourself get irritated. I'm just questioning some fundamental scientific theories. This has not much to do with understanding. I need to find out which theories are legitimate, and if claims based on these theories are legitimate as well. IOW, I make sure there are no straw men around.

You are serious, OMFG.

Static electrical forces stop things falling through a table. The mechanism is really similar to what stops the top layer of a solid object falling thru the rest of it, or simply what allows a solid object to maintain its shape, that stops one atom passing thru another.

Magnetic levitation requires no flow of energy either. If you place one magnet in position floating above another, the only flow of energy required is supplied by your muscles lifting the floating one into position.

Gravitational slingshots are unfortunately poorly described to convey the impression that energy is coming from the gravitational field, whereas in fact gravity is just connecting the spacecraft with the earth to allow energy to be exchanged between them. The energy is actually coming from the the energy of motion of the Earth in its orbit, so if the spacecraft gains energy from the manoeuvre, the earth slows down slightly in its orbit. It may also be used to slow a spacecraft, in which case the earth speeds up slightly.

You have described nothing which is not thoroughly explained by science, and pretty basic science at that.

You really need to understand the scientific concepts of force and energy.

Force is that which tends to accelerate, or decelerate, a mass. For an object sitting on a table, there are considered to be two forces involved, the force due to the Earth's gravity tending to accelerate the object toward the center of the Earth at 32 feet/sec/sec. But it is balanced by an equal and opposite 'reaction' force exerted by the electrostatic repulsion between the electrons in the outer shells of the atoms in the bottom surface of the object and the top surface of the table. That is an example of Newton's third law of Motion.

Energy is is exchanged, or flows, in various ways. In simple mechanical situations, it flows when a force moves an object through a distance against some opposing force, such as friction. In the case of someone sliding an object steadily across a table, chemical energy is released in the person's arm, most of it as heat energy, but some as mechanical energy, and is transferred thru the object into heat energy in the object and the table due to friction.

By definition, one Joule of energy is required to move an object one meter against a force of one Newton. One Newton is the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram by one meter/sec every second. It is about one tenth of the force exerted by earth's gravity on a one kilogram mass, which is what we refer to as its weight. So a force of one kilogram weight is about 9.8 newtons, since the acceleration due to Earth's gravity at the surface is about 9.8 meter/sec/sec.

If there were no friction, such as when you throw an object, the energy transferred to the object is converted into kinetic energy (of motion). Some of that energy is transferred to energy of motion of the air as it passes thru it, and ultimately into more heat energy when it strikes the ground.

Heat energy is ultimately a form of random energy of the vibrations of the atoms and molecules of matter.

There - that is a short introductory course in the science of force and energy.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
People skipped over

People skipped over something.

"Appeal to Heresy"

No such thing. Making up fallacies?

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

False premise, invalid argument. And that is Logic 101.Also pronounced "Bob is an idiot".

Yeah. So now that we've established that you know about as much about quantum mechanics as I do (that is, nothing), you can go ahead and stop pretending that you're an authority on the subject.

Wouldn't say "nothing" My background is engineering of four different flavors, which tends to include Physics up to that level. Of the four, "Electrical" is my least studied, so Quantum wasn't required, only an understanding of what IS and ISN'T going on in the physical universe at the level of Quantum Mechanics.

You might need new reading glasses, gramma. Bob didn't propose that the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics necessarily invalidates magical deities; he just said that Yahweh - the magical deity proposed in the Hebrew Bible - would be violating this law when he magically poofed everything into being.

Uh, no. Whether or not G-d exists (and G-d's name definitely was never "Yahweh" -- we ain't got not "w", but thanks for playing along!), the Big Bang (which I accept, not that you'd understand why since you think all Theists are morons, apparently) doesn't violate the 2nd Law.  The 2nd Law doesn't even speak to the instant in time when the Big Bang Singularity first came into existence.  Every instance since -- absolutely.  That instant?  No, not at all.

Quote:
You probably don't believe that happened anyway, because you can't allow yourself that much cognitive dissonance, but you've got your Depends in a bunch over something that hasn't been said.

I grew up in a house where "Science" was very highly valued.  And believe it or not -- plenty of Theists really do believe in the Big Bang, and Evolution, and the superiority of Coke over Pepsi.  "Science" is a "How" kind of thing, and unless I missed it, most religious texts aren't science manuals.  Yeah, some fundamentalist Christians think it is, but I've read Jewish, Christian and Muslim texts, cover to cover, and none of them say "Thus sayeth the LORD -- This is a science manual!"

Quote:
Maybe you can ask one of your grandkids to help you get caught-up with the crazy, break neck pace that literature is hurtling forward at.

Yeah, and maybe you could find the part of the Torah that say "This is a science manual, and if you don't believe it's a science manual, you're going to the 'Hell' that's also not mentioned in here."  You could get your parents to read it to you, since you obviously aren't old enough to read yet.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:
Personally I battle with the idea of an ethereal being existing in another dimension, utterly impossible to prove or refute.

Personally I battle with things that are happening in the here and now.  It's a large part of why I gave up on Christianity, other than the concepts embodied in Pauline Christianity are complete idiocy.  But I can't seem to attract a Christian long enough to have that particular smack down.

Atheistextremist wrote:
It's interesting to me that theists manage to embrace the concept of a god completely separate from this universe yet struggle to come to terms with infinitely more possible things, like the evolution of living organisms over time.

You really need to get out a lot more often because difficulty accepting Evolution is really limited to a narrow portion of the Christian Right.  I don't look at Evolution and go "SATAN!  GET THEE BEHIND ME!" (and not just because I don't believe in Satan ...), I go "Wow!  Cool!"  Science is a "How" kind of thing, it's not a "Love your neighbor as yourself" kind of thing.  Science tells me how to measure voltage or current, or how to make something strong, or whatever.  Science doesn't tell me that caring for other people is a good idea.

Atheistextremist wrote:
But let's talk about something specific. The anthropomorphic god.  There are anthropomorphic characteristics - not arms and hands and eyes FurryCat - but behaviour patterns such as choosing one group of people as your special favourites - your besties. Then there are those intensely human feelings god is alleged to possess. Things like love, anger, rage, revenge, and pride. And there's more.

And they are all metaphores.  This is the danger of reading a text when you don't have even the most simple understanding OF the text.

Atheistextremist wrote:
God's insistence on obedience, his concept of retribution, the business of sacrifice, his capacity for creativity, his need for our adoration and loyalty, his scales of morality and every other characteristic we quantify him as possessing in terms of our human understanding. All this is more profoundly and undeniably anthropomorphic than the business of the old man in the sky.

"Gravity" requires "obedience" and is really big on "retribution" if you ignore it.  Think you can get a free ride on "gravity" if you decide to be an "Agravitist"?  And "morality" seems to exist even among Atheists -- think you might be able to get some kind of agreement on basic moral concepts among Atheists?  Not the nitty-gritty details, but key foundation concepts, like -- it's wrong to murder other people.  Agree or disagree?

Most of the objections to some old man in the sky really do come from Christian beliefs.

Atheistextremist wrote:
It's not possible to define the character of a sentient being outside the boundaries of our own minds and it's certain this frailty restricts god sorely.

You'd have done well to stop at "It's not possible to define the character of" and just added "G-d".

Atheistextremist wrote:
There's no surprise in finding that the greatest qualities in the eyes of our god are those we treasure most in ourselves.

If you believe in a removed and unavailable and un-intruding god is it possible to claim any of these things about god at all?

I'm grateful for gravity.  G-d can be "removed", "unavailable", "un-intruding" and still have created gravity and still be many of those things.  Really -- Christianity screwed up the Jewish god-concept when Paul invented puppet-master-god and free-stuff-from-heaven-god.  Most of the reasons why you seem to be an Atheist are why I'm not a Christian anymore.

See -- we're not all that different after all!

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
It'd be a lot easy arguing with you FurryCat

If your position was actually apparent...god knows what you believe in. Apparently you argue for god as prime mover?

Your contention that the qualities of god as outlined in the text are all actually metaphors leaves you plenty of room to move...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Wouldn't say

Quote:
Wouldn't say "nothing" My background is engineering of four different flavors, which tends to include Physics up to that level. Of the four, "Electrical" is my least studied, so Quantum wasn't required, only an understanding of what IS and ISN'T going on in the physical universe at the level of Quantum Mechanics.

I think you're full of shit, unless you can demonstrate this is true. We've had plenty of people go shuffling throug the forums claiming to be doctors, engineers and psychologists with all sorts of academic accreditations. I think we even had one guy who claimed to be a Nobel Prize winner.

Quote:
Uh, no. Whether or not G-d exists (and G-d's name definitely was never "Yahweh" -- we ain't got not "w", but thanks for playing along!), the Big Bang (which I accept, not that you'd understand why since you think all Theists are morons, apparently) doesn't violate the 2nd Law.  The 2nd Law doesn't even speak to the instant in time when the Big Bang Singularity first came into existence.  Every instance since -- absolutely.  That instant?  No, not at all.

Yes, your deity is called 'Yahweh'. That's the modern pronunciation, anyway. Do doubt that a lot has been lost in translation and transcription over the years, but given what mangled remains we have to work with, your deity's name is definitely Yahweh.

Quote:
I grew up in a house where "Science" was very highly valued.

I don't give two fucks.

Growing up in a household valuing science does not somehow grant your beliefs immunity to skeptical examination, and it sure as Hell doesn't mean that any claim you make somehow carries more merit on it's own than someone who grew up in a household where science was ostracized.

Quote:
And believe it or not -- plenty of Theists really do believe in the Big Bang, and Evolution, and the superiority of Coke over Pepsi.  "Science" is a "How" kind of thing, and unless I missed it, most religious texts aren't science manuals.  Yeah, some fundamentalist Christians think it is, but I've read Jewish, Christian and Muslim texts, cover to cover, and none of them say "Thus sayeth the LORD -- This is a science manual!"

Lots of Christians are capable of compartmentalization & cognitive dissonance, like most of humanity. Good f or them.

They still piss all over science by positing the existence and importance of a magical being that they have no evidence for, a doctrinal set of rules they cannot justify and highly dubious historical events they can't substantiate.

And you're wrong. The Bible is implicitly written as a science manual (granted, an Iron Age science manual whose idea of science, in modern times, is laughable). It describes rites you should follow, results you should expect to come from performing such rites, historical events, explanations for phenomena in the world, etc. 

The deity in the book most certainly does say that it's a science manual (not in those exact words - Yahweh simply claims that every word in the Bible is true, and must be followed to the letter. He also lays out the barbaric consequences for not following the Bible to the letter).

Quote:
 Yeah, and maybe you could find the part of the Torah that say "This is a science manual, and if you don't believe it's a science manual, you're going to the 'Hell' that's also not mentioned in here."  You could get your parents to read it to you, since you obviously aren't old enough to read yet.

[url=http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/gen/1.html]The entire chapter of Genesis[/url] describes how the Earth was formed, in much detail. I would argue that the formation of the Earth is a scientific matter - and one that the Bible gets horrendously wrong. 

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Yes,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Yes, your deity is called 'Yahweh'. That's the modern pronunciation, anyway. Do doubt that a lot has been lost in translation and transcription over the years, but given what mangled remains we have to work with, your deity's name is definitely Yahweh.

Just to be nitpicky: YHWH is an acronym for "I am what [or that] I am." It was god's response to Moses when Moses asked who he was speaking to. They used the acronym rather than one of their many names for god because they didn't want to say any of god's names. In their opinion it is not a name so much as a way to avoid saying a name.

FurryCatHerder wrote:

we ain't got not "w"

"Yahweh" is the best modern pronunciation that we can come up with. Ancient Jews had a prohibition against saying the Tetragrammaton for a while, so the original pronunciation (if they even originally used this as a word to say aloud) is lost. Hell, I think that some modern Jews follow a prohibition against saying the Tetragrammaton.

Hebrew Letter name Pronunciation
י Yodh "Y"
ה He "H"
ו Waw "W" or placeholder for "O"/"U" vowel
ה He "H" (or often a silent letter at the end of a word)

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:Kevin R

Jormungander wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Just to be nitpicky: YHWH is an acronym for "I am what [or that] I am." It was god's response to Moses when Moses asked who he was speaking to. They used the acronym rather than one of their many names for god because they didn't want to say any of god's names. In their opinion it is not a name so much as a way to avoid saying a name.

It's likely an acronym for the three tenses of the verb "To Be".  But definitely not one for "Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh", seeing as the first letter of "eyhey" is alef.  And there is no alef in G-d's name.

Jormungander wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

we ain't got not "w"

"Yahweh" is the best modern pronunciation that we can come up with. Ancient Jews had a prohibition against saying the Tetragrammaton for a while, so the original pronunciation (if they even originally used this as a word to say aloud) is lost. Hell, I think that some modern Jews follow a prohibition against saying the Tetragrammaton.

Hebrew Letter name Pronunciation
י Yodh "Y"
ח He "H"
ו Waw "W" or placeholder for "O"/"U" vowel
ח He "H" (or often a silent letter at the end of a word)

All four of those letters can be vowels.  That's the great thing about HaShem.  Hey can be "ah".  There is no alef in "Judah", the "ah" on the end comes from the hey.  It's just yud-hey-vav-dalet-hey.  See an alef in there?  Likewise, the yud could be an "ee" sound.  Like the word "Ari" for "Lion", the source of much confusion amongst Christians who think "ki-ari" means something other than "like a Lion" (Hint: No, it doesn't mean "pierced", which I think is how Christians mistranslate that word in one of their bogus prophecies).  The vav (we ain't got no "W&quotEye-wink is "oh" or "oo".

So ... not so much on you being right.

And yeah, religious Jews don't say it.  Many of us try to avoid typing it.  Or leaving it unmodified in posts that we respond to ...

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

I think you're full of shit, unless you can demonstrate this is true. We've had plenty of people go shuffling throug the forums claiming to be doctors, engineers and psychologists with all sorts of academic accreditations. I think we even had one guy who claimed to be a Nobel Prize winner.

How would you like me to prove it's true?  You've been entirely too disrespectful for me to provide any identifying information, which is normally how one proves their bona fides.

Quote:
Kevin R Brown wrote:

I don't give two fucks.

Could you be convinced to give =three=, perhaps?

Does this work for you?  Being an assho1e, that is.  Does it actually WORK for you?

Quote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

And believe it or not -- plenty of Theists really do believe in the Big Bang, and Evolution, and the superiority of Coke over Pepsi.  "Science" is a "How" kind of thing, and unless I missed it, most religious texts aren't science manuals.  Yeah, some fundamentalist Christians think it is, but I've read Jewish, Christian and Muslim texts, cover to cover, and none of them say "Thus sayeth the LORD -- This is a science manual!"

Lots of Christians are capable of compartmentalization & cognitive dissonance, like most of humanity. Good f or them.

They still piss all over science by positing the existence and importance of a magical being that they have no evidence for, a doctrinal set of rules they cannot justify and highly dubious historical events they can't substantiate.

If you actually believe that religious SCIENTISTS, which include some of the most brilliant and accomplished scientists going, are pissing all over science while doing some pretty incredible science, you're on crack.

What you seem to fail to grasp is that for someone like me, studying the Universe is practically a religious experience.  There's practically no difference between reading science journals and reading Torah.  Nor is there some kind of massive cognitive dissonance because the two fields are orthogonal.

Quote:
And you're wrong. The Bible is implicitly written as a science manual (granted, an Iron Age science manual whose idea of science, in modern times, is laughable). It describes rites you should follow, results you should expect to come from performing such rites, historical events, explanations for phenomena in the world, etc.

That's a very interesting, ignorant, and completely wrong set of opinions you have there.  The purpose of the Torah is not to teach anyone how geology works, it's to teach people how "life" works.  As in, living your life.

And it's BRONZE age.  Iron age everything came later.

And I missed this in the original writing, but Jews don't believe G-d can be compelled.  In addition to not believing in puppet-master-god or free-goodies-from-sky-daddy-god, we also don't believe that we can compel G-d by performing rituals.  Muslims are still into "animal sacrifice".  You should go to one some day -- they are quite the shindig.

Quote:
The deity in the book most certainly does say that it's a science manual (not in those exact words - Yahweh simply claims that every word in the Bible is true, and must be followed to the letter. He also lays out the barbaric consequences for not following the Bible to the letter).

Are you going to be providing chapter and verse?  When I get into an argument with people about what the Torah does or doesn't say, I prefer that the ones doing the claiming (that would be you) provide the chapters and verses so that the one doing the "Does not, neener-neerer" rebuttal can lay out the translation for you.

Quote:

[url=http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/gen/1.html]The entire chapter of Genesis[/url] describes how the Earth was formed, in much detail. I would argue that the formation of the Earth is a scientific matter - and one that the Bible gets horrendously wrong

In "much" detail?  I realize that you don't Hebrew, but as little detail as there is in English -- and in particular, as little detail about what it MEANS -- there is even LESS in Hebrew.

And I've read the "skeptic's annotated bible" before.  It's a piece of trash.

1). It's from a CHRISTIAN perspective.  The Torah is NOT a Christian text.

2). It's from an ENGLISH perspective.  The Torah is NOT an English text.

3). It's from a MODERN perspective.  The Torah is NOT a modern text.

4). It thinks the Torah is a science manual.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:If

Atheistextremist wrote:
If your position was actually apparent...god knows what you believe in. Apparently you argue for god as prime mover?

Yup.  All the Laws of Nature -- G-d did that.  Moral codes that people just seem to accept as "good" and reward when followed, while the ones people think are "bad" get punished.  G-d did that as well.  Live a good life, treat people with respect and dignity, care for the less fortunate -- people who do that tend to be well liked, well cared for, well thought of.   People who are jerks -- not so much.  No need for G-d to zap anyone.  Just like no need for G-d to swat down anyone who tries to fly by jumping off a building without wings, a parachute or bungie cords.

My mother (of blessed memory) was very well loved -- she loved to shop, but as she got older, she didn't need to shop for anyone.  So, she'd go shopping at distress sales and other deep discount places, spend $10 or $20 on a giant pile of shoes and clothes, then send them to people in need at her church and surrounding area.  She got her shopping "fix", people got what they needed, Imitatio Dei, etc.  While her funeral wasn't quite the experience I'm hoping mine will be (my will says that all the alcohol in the house MUST be consumed, and that can exceed 10 or 20 gallons of the stuff), she remains, 8 years after her death, one of the mostly highly thought of people in her community.  The Torah doesn't speak about what "Heaven" is, but I certainly hope that I'm thought of favorably well after my death.

I look out at the Universe, and this passage from the Torah is how I feel --

http://zemerl.com/cgi-bin//show.pl?title=Mi+Chamocha+%28Who+is+like+you%3F%29

(Audio version here -- http://zemerl.com/cgi-bin//show.pl?title=Mi+Chamocha+%28Who+is+like+you%3F%29 )

http://www.jewishmusic.com//sound/sastb10d_34.rm?E+jmcom

Atheistextremist wrote:
Your contention that the qualities of god as outlined in the text are all actually metaphors leaves you plenty of room to move...

You've not run into many Jews, have you?

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I see, FurryCat.

That's a very cerebral and human theistic position - I like that. And the verse. If I was going to be a theist I'd be keen on this.

I have a place in the country at altitude and when I see the sprawl of the milky way in the night I feel a resonance of awe and privilege that

my star stuff is arranged in such a way as to let me so achefully survey my celestial cousins.

Not quite the same as your worship in the face of heaven's majesty but my theistic past informs me these feelings are twins.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:
That's a very cerebral and human theistic position - I like that. And the verse. If I was going to be a theist I'd be keen on this.

I have a place in the country at altitude and when I see the sprawl of the milky way in the night I feel a resonance of awe and privilege that

my star stuff is arranged in such a way as to let me so achefully survey my celestial cousins.

Not quite the same as your worship in the face of heaven's majesty but my theistic past informs me these feelings are twins.

The last time I saw the Milky Way in all it's incredible beauty was just after a natural disaster of epic proportions.  I was there doing disaster relief because my father had retired there with my mother about the time I graduated Uni, left town and married.  The Universe is an interesting place.  I've been surrounded by destruction and been able to find beauty in the midst of it.  Some people look at the Universe and shrug.  I look at the Universe and go "Wow!"

What I like about Judaism is that it is very intellectual, it's got a history, it's got a purpose, and it's got great food and holidays.  But it's also a way of life, much more than a religion.  There are actually Jewish blessings to be said on seeing something as beautiful as the Milky Way, or as horrific as mile after mile after mile of destruction.  It's like a rule that says "Stop and pay attention to what is around you."  We say "Grace" =after= eating, because a starving person can be grateful even to a tyrant, but true gratitude only comes when one is no longer in need.  Less emphasis on "Jesus said ...", more emphasis on "this is how to lead a meaningful life."

Judaism is also not out to convert anyone.  Have I ever, even once, said "If you don't believe in Moses, you're going to DIE!"?  Which do you think I believe is more important -- that you be a good person, or that you be a Jew?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:How would you like me

Quote:
How would you like me to prove it's true?  You've been entirely too disrespectful for me to provide any identifying information, which is normally how one proves their bona fides.

There's always plenty of ways to demonstrate your competence; you could post dissertations you've written, post solutions to equations, etc. If you want examples, click on the 'Articles' tab in the sidebar and review the work of DeludedGod.

Quote:
Does this work for you?  Being an assho1e, that is.  Does it actually WORK for you?

Love it.

You can march around flinging shit and calling people idiots, but the moment some of the heat comes back to at you, "OMG, that guy is such an asshole! How disrespectful!"

Quote:
If you actually believe that religious SCIENTISTS, which include some of the most brilliant and accomplished scientists going, are pissing all over science while doing some pretty incredible science, you're on crack.

Brilliant scientists like Collins really do piss in the drinking fountain of knowledge when it comes to their religious convictions. The work that Dr. Collins has done is fantastic; his claims about the Christian deity and it's ramifications for living an ethical life are, to put it mildly, not

Newton did it too (and in so doing left his own work unfinished), and he was one of the greatest mathematical minds to ever walk the face of the Earth. Scientists, like anyone else, do some really good work and some really bad work; we don't canonize them into sainthood and pretend that they were perfect simply because they made a particular discovery. We celebrate the achievement and recognize what it took to accomplish that achievement, but we don't (or shouldn't) go on to paint everything that scientists has done as having equal merit to their magnum opus.

Quote:
What you seem to fail to grasp is that for someone like me, studying the Universe is practically a religious experience.  There's practically no difference between reading science journals and reading Torah.  Nor is there some kind of massive cognitive dissonance because the two fields are orthogonal.

No, it's not a 'religious experience'. It makes you feel special. You're conflating your terms.

It's not magic or divine power that is making you feel special; it's receptors in your brain. You read the Torah, you feel special. You take a look at the Hubble ultra deep field images, you feel special - not because the two things are in any way connected, but because it's the same Goddamn receptors and chemicals in your brain that are rewarding you.

Don't feel too bad, though. Dr. Collins made exactly the same fucking mistake when he saw a frozen waterfall. Does work in the lab --> feels special. Sees frozen waterfall --> feels special. Conclusion: ZOMG THIS WATERFALL HAS SUCH MEANING JUST LIKE WHAT I WAS DOING IN THE LAB!!!

There's a particular term for this kind of bias - I don't remember it off hand. If you work in the field, you'll probably know it better than I do. 

Quote:
That's a very interesting, ignorant, and completely wrong set of opinions you have there.  The purpose of the Torah is not to teach anyone how geology works, it's to teach people how "life" works.  As in, living your life.

And I missed this in the original writing, but Jews don't believe G-d can be compelled.  In addition to not believing in puppet-master-god or free-goodies-from-sky-daddy-god, we also don't believe that we can compel G-d by performing rituals.  Muslims are still into "animal sacrifice".  You should go to one some day -- they are quite the shindig.

First: 'Bronze Age' and 'Iron Age' are pretty interchangeable. There isn't enough well established data about the various medieval epochs to give them distinct points of division. I prefer the latter term, as it more accurately reflects the weapons used during the medieval period. 

Second: positing that the Bible is a manual for teaching people anything opens it to the same scrutiny we demand of any such work (i.e.: works of science). If it's a manual for teaching people how they to live, or how life works, fine - that's a field of science too, you know. Unfortunately, what we have of the texts reveals troubling ignorance (duh) on the parts of the authors and a barbaric attitude regarding how we should treat one another. 

Quote:
In "much" detail?  I realize that you don't Hebrew, but as little detail as there is in English -- and in particular, as little detail about what it MEANS -- there is even LESS in Hebrew.

Yeah. I pretty much knew this was coming.

Theist demands we give them the quote from the Bible; we give them the quote. Theist then explodes with outrage because we can't possibly know what the authors of the Bible meant.

I know that the Bible was written in Hebrew, that it was written a long time ago and that it has been endlessly transcribed into some new perversion of it's former self. I stated that in my previous post. 

So... how does that help your position, again? You don't know what the original texts were anymore than I do. For all we know, they were hardly intelligible Hebrew scribblings. You say out of one side of your mouth that I can't possibly understand what the authors were trying to convey and that it's not a science text irregardless, but then out of the other side of your mouth you say that it's a book for teaching people how to live and that anyone who doesn't 'get' the original flavor (despite it being lost to time) are full of themselves.

All that we have to work with is the modern incarnation of whatever it was that was written-up in the desert a few thousand years ago. If you're saying that this is a poor reference point, I agree - so go ahead and ditch the deity associated with it. 

Quote:

February 27, 1940

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pardon me for beating the

Pardon me for beating the issue to death, Furry, but I really don't understand the relevance of your response that the Torah is not a science manual, no matter how many times you post it. Regardless of whether it's a science manual, it has either made statements that we observe to be false or it hasn't.

Do you or do you not agree that the Torah has explicitly made false statements about reality? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  FurryCatHerder meet Kevin

FurryCatHerder meet Kevin R Brown.  Perhaps he will provide you with some stimulating debate while we wait for eX the Christian to hopefully enter the fray.  I'm having my doubts about eX though.  

I've always considered two or more theists debating to be much more enlightening than the typical, boring atheist to theist rehash. There's really not very many ways to not believe in gods and the supernatural ( either you do or you don't ),  ... but there are a multitude of different ways to believe in gods.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Pardon me

butterbattle wrote:

Pardon me for beating the issue to death, Furry, but I really don't understand the relevance of your response that the Torah is not a science manual, no matter how many times you post it. Regardless of whether it's a science manual, it has either made statements that we observe to be false or it hasn't.

Do you or do you not agree that the Torah has explicitly made false statements about reality?

For the Torah to have made false statements about REALITY it would have to be a Science manual.  What if it's a morality lesson?  What if it's a Bronze Age tale designed to get some desert nomad group to think that one deity did it all, instead of the bazillions of deities that existed all around them?  What if it's just a nice story -- still from G-d, but just a nice story?

We were studying Torah one day and the subject of "The Fall" came up.  The rabbis response?  Without "The Fall" it would have been a lot less interesting of a story.  Is our life more interesting because we have "Free Will" including the ability to make bad decisions?

I'm a Jew, I'm going to give you Jewish answers and one of the other answers is "Which 'the' meaning?" because the texts don't have "A" meaning.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:What if

FurryCatHerder wrote:

What if it's just a nice story -- still from G-d, but just a nice story?

And what if God is the lead role?

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

There's always plenty of ways to demonstrate your competence; you could post dissertations you've written, post solutions to equations, etc. If you want examples, click on the 'Articles' tab in the sidebar and review the work of DeludedGod.

Uh, every single last thing I've ever had published has my name on it.  So, survey says ... no!

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Quote:

Love it.

You can march around flinging shit and calling people idiots, but the moment some of the heat comes back to at you, "OMG, that guy is such an asshole! How disrespectful!"

Would you like me to find all the comments from before I ever posted here where people are called "ridiculous", "stupid", "superstitious", etc.?

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Quote:

First: 'Bronze Age' and 'Iron Age' are pretty interchangeable. There isn't enough well established data about the various medieval epochs to give them distinct points of division. I prefer the latter term, as it more accurately reflects the weapons used during the medieval period.

Medieval?  No, the MEDIEVAL period came much later.  Long after the start of the Iron Age.  And no, no iron ages weapons found in any of the archaeological sites connected to the earliest Jewish history.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Quote:

Yeah. I pretty much knew this was coming.

Theist demands we give them the quote from the Bible; we give them the quote. Theist then explodes with outrage because we can't possibly know what the authors of the Bible meant.

I know that the Bible was written in Hebrew, that it was written a long time ago and that it has been endlessly transcribed into some new perversion of it's former self. I stated that in my previous post.

That would be wrong.  The differences in "what we have" and "what we had" is limited to a small number of letters that don't affect the meaning of any of the words.  That goes back to about 2,000 years.  It's possible to go back 2,500 years, but the divergence of the groups that had the different texts start to show up with parts of it missing.

What you've written above (the "perversion" bit) is Christianity.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
So... how does that help your position, again? You don't know what the original texts were anymore than I do. For all we know, they were hardly intelligible Hebrew scribblings. You say out of one side of your mouth that I can't possibly understand what the authors were trying to convey and that it's not a science text irregardless, but then out of the other side of your mouth you say that it's a book for teaching people how to live and that anyone who doesn't 'get' the original flavor (despite it being lost to time) are full of themselves.

You are making things up from whole cloth now.  You can pull the "we don't know what it used to say" with the Greek texts, but written Torah scrolls aren't something that gets transcribed with the sort of carelessness that people like to ascribe to Christian texts.  Each and every Torah scroll on the planet right now, letter for letter, is the same.  If an error is found, it MUST be corrected.  If it cannot be corrected, the scroll cannot be used.  In ancient times -- more than 2,500 years ago at a minimum -- external means for checking a Torah scroll were established.  Various mathematical models for the text were produced and they are as valid today as they were then.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
All that we have to work with is the modern incarnation of whatever it was that was written-up in the desert a few thousand years ago. If you're saying that this is a poor reference point, I agree - so go ahead and ditch the deity associated with it.

Would you like to try and do better?

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't give two fucks.

Growing up in a household valuing science does not somehow grant your beliefs immunity to skeptical examination, and it sure as Hell doesn't mean that any claim you make somehow carries more merit on it's own than someone who grew up in a household where science was ostracized.

Quote:

Quote:

[url=http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/gen/1.html]The entire chapter of Genesis[/url] describes how the Earth was formed, in much detail. I would argue that the formation of the Earth is a scientific matter - and one that the Bible gets horrendously wrong. 

Well put Whats the word oh yes Compartmentalization i see