Hi Everyone

nelmil
User is offlineOffline
Hi Everyone

I just joined today. It's such a relief to find a community of like minded people that I can relate to.

I currently reside in South Georgia and as far as I'm aware, I may be the only atheist around. I'm sure there are others but I don't know any. Only a very select few of my friends are aware of my godlessness, and I think that they believe that I don't really mean it. As much as it is completely ridiculous to me that they believe in a sky father, it is equally ridiculous to them that I don't. Those few are the only ones that have any clue. To everyone else I try to remain a mystery. At work, I am surrounded by believers. All day long I get to hear people at work go on about their imaginary friend and how great their lives are because of him. It's mind boggling to me. The guy who works next to me is a great guy. We get along great. However, he is deeply religious and I would never let on to him that I think it's a load of hog wash. My boss has told me that when she votes, she is only concerned with the religion of the candidate. Others send out blessing emails periodically, or scripture of the day emails. I've even been asked if I'm a christian and if I've been saved. I simply stated that it was unlawful for a supervisor to ask that question. Every single time I come in contact with these superstitious people(all day long), I want scream out because of how completely insane all of it sounds. What if I went around telling everybody about the wondrous deeds of Thor or if I emailed constantly about the magnificence of my cats third left whisker. Everyone would think I was crazy as a loon.

My point being, where I live(small southern Georgia town), you have to be a part of the hive to succeed. I have one friend who admitted to me that he is not very religious but still goes to church just for the social networking. I'm glad that I can come here during the day to inject some reason into my day.

Thanks,

Nelmil

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome and enjoy! You'll

Welcome and enjoy! Laughing out loud

You'll find a number of people facing the same scenario as yourself here. It's unfortunate that such prejudice is still so prevalent. Sad

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

MrPal
Superfan
MrPal's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome! It is really

Welcome!

It is really difficult and heart-breaking to see people be manipulated into fervently believing in things, especially if they were brought up brainwashed.  There's often not much you can do.  There's a lot of great stuff on this site that can help you though, definitely, so I'd recommend you read up on what is said here.

I never thought there were corners in my mind until I was told to stand in one.

I have learned so much, thanks for keeping it real RRS.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi there Nelmil

But there is a god and your finding this site is all part of his plan for your life...(snigger)

P.S. I know what you mean about facing the godly at close range. They really are a different species.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Hi. Laughing out loud

Just avoid them when they are in large crowds and you should be safe. *nods*

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Welcome. I live in the

Welcome. I live in the Bible Belt, too ..so I am familiar with your situation.  Enjoy your stay here.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to Rational

Welcome to Rational Responders. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Parallel
Parallel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, and try not to get

Welcome, and try not to get yourself crucified.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
nelmil wrote:I just joined

nelmil wrote:

I just joined today. It's such a relief to find a community of like minded people that I can relate to.

I currently reside in South Georgia and as far as I'm aware, I may be the only atheist around. I'm sure there are others but I don't know any. Only a very select few of my friends are aware of my godlessness, and I think that they believe that I don't really mean it. As much as it is completely ridiculous to me that they believe in a sky father, it is equally ridiculous to them that I don't. Those few are the only ones that have any clue. To everyone else I try to remain a mystery. At work, I am surrounded by believers. All day long I get to hear people at work go on about their imaginary friend and how great their lives are because of him. It's mind boggling to me. The guy who works next to me is a great guy. We get along great. However, he is deeply religious and I would never let on to him that I think it's a load of hog wash. My boss has told me that when she votes, she is only concerned with the religion of the candidate. Others send out blessing emails periodically, or scripture of the day emails. I've even been asked if I'm a christian and if I've been saved. I simply stated that it was unlawful for a supervisor to ask that question. Every single time I come in contact with these superstitious people(all day long), I want scream out because of how completely insane all of it sounds. What if I went around telling everybody about the wondrous deeds of Thor or if I emailed constantly about the magnificence of my cats third left whisker. Everyone would think I was crazy as a loon.

My point being, where I live(small southern Georgia town), you have to be a part of the hive to succeed. I have one friend who admitted to me that he is not very religious but still goes to church just for the social networking. I'm glad that I can come here during the day to inject some reason into my day.

Thanks,

Nelmil

Many of us here know how you feel. I live in a "nowhere town" on the coast two states above you. Most of my co-workers and friends are liberal, but still do not understand me because I don't believe. I cant find atheists in my area I would want to hang out with. The one group I did find is uber politically correct and hangs out in libraries.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:The one group

Brian37 wrote:
The one group I did find is uber politically correct and hangs out in libraries.

eww... just  run away. don't look back just run away. I met some people like that once. They tried to get me involved in table top gaming. Im just kiding but its not something I would get into either.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
By table top gaming, do you

By table top gaming, do you refer to D&D or Monopoly?

I suspect the former, but as a Gaming God, clarification is necessary.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with either genre, it's all a matter of taste.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
I mean like D&D... although

I mean like D&D... although it was warhammer if you want to details. Nothing wrong with a spot of monopoly if you want to make yourself bored though. In truth I don't think there is anything wrong with either... but I find both legendarily boring. Bring on the wrath of KORN (doomy's avatar) or whatever metal band roadie you chose 

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:By table top

Vastet wrote:
By table top gaming, do you refer to D&D or Monopoly? I suspect the former, but as a Gaming God, clarification is necessary. Of course, there's nothing wrong with either genre, it's all a matter of taste.

if you're such a gaming god, you should know table top reached its apogee with fireball island.  end of story.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Vastet wrote:By

iwbiek wrote:

Vastet wrote:
By table top gaming, do you refer to D&D or Monopoly? I suspect the former, but as a Gaming God, clarification is necessary. Of course, there's nothing wrong with either genre, it's all a matter of taste.

if you're such a gaming god, you should know table top reached its apogee with fireball island.  end of story.

Technically, Monopoly is the single most well known board game in history, while D&D is the single most well known paper game in history. I simply took the most popular and established versions of the genres for examples. Much like I'd use Doom for FPS or Final Fantasy for RPG. Sticking out tongue

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hangs out in libraries?

Brian37 wrote:

Many of us here know how you feel. I live in a "nowhere town" on the coast two states above you. Most of my co-workers and friends are liberal, but still do not understand me because I don't believe. I cant find atheists in my area I would want to hang out with. The one group I did find is uber politically correct and hangs out in libraries.

Crikey.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

MrPal
Superfan
MrPal's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Speaking of DnD, while I

Speaking of DnD, while I never played it I'm drooling whenever I think of Dragon Age Origins...  It seems pretty similar to my eyes but I of course have never worn a wizard's hat and a sign saying "President of +2 Spells".   

(Where's the worshiping smiley when you need one!)

I never thought there were corners in my mind until I was told to stand in one.

I have learned so much, thanks for keeping it real RRS.