Columnist Kristoff equates peace with liberal theology

NAP
User is offlineOffline

In his recent column "The Religious Wars" (NY Times, November 26), Nicholas D Kristoff promotes as "more thoughtful" books written by Robert Wright and Karen Armstrong that advocate for liberal theism and religious belief. He expresses hopes that these books mark "an armistice in the religious wars, a move away from both religious intolerance and irreligious intolerance". However, the arguments for theism and religion made by Robert Wright and Karen Armstrong are actually less thoughtful than the competing arguments by the New Atheists. Furthermore, it is counterproductive to assert that such dubious beliefs are necessary for peace and tolerance.

...."

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Liberal theists are like "sunday only" christians most of the time.

Basically, the people who don't find religion terribly important, since they are okay with other people living how they want to rather than living how they think they should live.

So yeah, I would agree if all theists were liberal theists it would be a lot more peaceful. It would eliminate a lot of religious wars anyway.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

NAP
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: Liberal

ClockCat wrote:

Basically, the people who don't find religion terribly important, since they are okay with other people living how they want to rather than living how they think they should live.

So yeah, I would agree if all theists were liberal theists it would be a lot more peaceful. It would eliminate a lot of religious wars anyway.

Kristoff makes no distinction here between non-liberal religionists and atheists.  Do you also agree with Kristoff that if vocal atheists were all liberal theists like him it would be more peaceful?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

NAP wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Kristoff makes no distinction here between non-liberal religionists and atheists.  Do you also agree with Kristoff that if vocal atheists were all liberal theists like him it would be more peaceful?

No. I do not.

I only agree with what I said I did. :3

Theism is why we can't have nice things.